VIRUS BOARD CATCHING

by Melissa Neeley

Writers and artists attending UH will have an opportunity to display their work in a literary magazine scheduled to be published in March.

The magazine will be called Virus Board, named after a quote from a book by William Burroughs, said Tim Connelly, a developer of the magazine. Burroughs also wrote the controversial book <i>Naked Lunch<p>, which was banned temporarily in California in 1965. It later went on trial for obscenity charges in the Massachusetts Supreme Court in 1966, but the charges were eventually dismissed.

"Language is a kind of virus because the ideas expressed in literature are spread in the same way. Once the ideas get into people's minds, they are infected and affected by them. The magazine will hopefully give people a chance to become involved in this process," said Connelly, a senior English major.

Connelly and Shane Patrick Boyle, a senior English major, are beginning to review works presented to them for the first issue of the magazine. It will be published once each semester, Connelly said.

"There's really no way for undergraduate writers and artists to get anything in print. The only college literary magazine available is Gulf Coast, which is primarily for graduate students and faculty. It doesn't serve the university specifically," he said.

The magazine will probably be funded by bookstore ads and will cost about $5 a copy, he added.

Some members of the Writers And Artists Group At UH (WAAGAUH), who will contribute to the magazine, have had experience putting together other literary magazines from either their high schools or other colleges, he said.

One member of the group, Jessica Martin, plans on writing about the capacity of language to destroy.

Martin, a junior English major concentrating on creative writing, said the magazine will focus on combatting censorship on campus. "We don't want people's work to be repressed. We don't want anyone to feel that they can't be allowed to write what they have to write," she said.

The magazine, however, will not focus completely on controversial subjects, but will encourage contributors to develop free thought and free speech, she said.

Another developer of the magazine, Travis-Jon Mader, a senior English major, said the magazine will serve as an outlet for students' opinions. The main goal of the magazine is to fight censorship, he added.

"Works of art that are considered controversial might normally be censored because somebody can't understand it. If somebody is against these things, that doesn't give them a right to censor it," Madder said.

The magazine will also benefit students who might not express their opinions normally, he said. If students cannot find a means of getting their work published, they may feel discouraged, which might ultimately limit their creative ability, he said.

The publication is being developed for the entire student body; people submitting to the magazine should not feel they are wasting their time, Mader said.

"We're not trying to create a 'shocker' magazine. We're trying to create an open forum to allow people to say what they want to say," he said.

WAAGAUH meets Tuesdays at 4 p.m. in the UC.

Students who want to submit poems, short fiction, essays, art and photography or who want more information can contract Tim Connelly at 225-0164.

*******************************************************

SA TO RALLY AUSTIN LEGISLATIORS FOR STATE FUNDS

A weekend trip to Austin could change the course of higher education.

The Students' Association, as part of the Texas Students' Association, is heading up to Austin Feb. 4 - 7 to confront legislators who are deciding on the future of higher education in Texas.

TSA will announce its platform, which includes opposing tuition increases and supporting a funding increase for financial aid on both state and federal levels.

These issues are especially important now since 10-percent cuts in higher education funding are being threatened by legislators. According to SA, if those cuts were made, it could mean a decrease of $18 million from UH's budget.

Over 700 students from all over Texas will gather on the steps of the Capitol Saturday to show support for higher education.

SA will also be involved in a two-day conference in which they will learn the mechanics of legislation reform and how to successfully meet with state legislators.

All TSA members will have a chance to personally interact with legislators at a reception Thursday evening.

"We are not going to battle with the other universities we are working with on the same platforms, but we also have some concerns of our own. "We need to alleviate the disparity in funds between our schools. UT and (Texas) A&M are funded by the Permanent University Fund, and we are HEAF (Higher Education Assistance Fund) funded. There is a huge difference between $1700 per head and $500," SA President Russel Hruska said.

"We are not advocating money to be taken away from other schools, but we need more money," he added.

TSA also intends for the rally to show state legislators the unity among state colleges.

"This is the first time in 15 years that A&M and UT have been in the same organization. I can't imagine how long it's been since all the biggies have been together like this," said Sherry Boyles, legislative information director for TSA.

"We want to show the legislators that we are united, that we are aware of what is going on and that education affects the state's welfare. It has to be available to all students," she added.

UH students who are interested in attending the rally can call SA at 743-5220.

COUNSELING, UH HEALTH CENTER CAN HELP SMOKERS QUIT

by Dianne Beirne

UH smokers can use several campus services to kick the habit before the campus smoking ban takes effect March 1.

The Counseling and Testing Center is offering free smoking cessation classes to the university community, said Rosemary Hughes, assistant director of the CTC.

"It's designed for people who have already decided to quit but just need encouragement and education," Hughes said.

Although the workshops have been offered in previous semesters, larger classes have been added this year to help students, faculty and staff adjust to the no-smoking policy, she said.

Each class is limited to 15 people, and participants meet for one hour a day, Monday through Thursday, at the center for 12 sessions.

The classes are conducted on a rotation basis by four members of the counseling staff, including two psychologists, a licensed professional counselor, and a pre-doctoral intern in clinical psychology, Hughes said.

She said the chief aim of the classes is to break smoking patterns and find alternatives to smoking.

"It's not a therapy group," she said. "It's a personal development group structured with educational support exercises, such as helping a smoker develop different coping techniques."

The classes will be a combination of presentations, discussions and the use of a workbook provided by the American Lung Association.

The next class begins March 1. The class that began Feb. 1 is full, and people were put on a waiting list to get into the next class, she said.

She added that the counseling staff is considering opening additional classes to handle the increased number of participants.

The staff is also considering offering a maintenance group for people who have been through the classes but may need to have some additional education or encouragement, she said.

Smokers who aren't available to participate in the workshops can follow a different, but more costly, route.

The University Health Center Pharmacy has smoking cessation patches available with a prescription, said chief pharmacist Magdalene Vulkovic.

The patches, which contain nicotine and are attached to the skin daily, work as a replacement for the habit-forming drug found in cigarettes. The patches are used until the person's craving for the nicotine has tapered off, she said.

"But the individual has to have their mind made up to quit smoking," Vulkovic said. "The patches are meant to help wean the person off smoking."

The pharmacy has received more inquiries about the patches since it was announced last November that smoking would be banned on much of the campus, she added. The cost for a month's supply of the patches averages about $99, she said.

"There are different regimens that can be followed, but it usually takes a few months (with the patches)," Vulkovic said.

Smokers who want to use the patches as a way of reducing their need for cigarettes must first consult with a physician, she said. Although students can visit a doctor at the Health Center, employees of the university must see their own family practitioner, she said.

The physician will prescribe a certain dosage strength of the patch, depending on the amount of cigarettes a person has been habitually smoking, she said.

For more information, call the Health Center Pharmacy at 743-5125, and for more information on the stop-smoking classes, call the Counseling and Testing Center at 743- 5454.

NEW HFAC DEAN SEES BRIGHT FUTURE FOR COLLEGE

by Mindi King

Making a great university into an even better one while working with diminishing resources is the most difficult challenge, said James Pipkin, the new Dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

The first stage of changes are centered at the faculty level because of the campus-wide reshaping exercises the HFAC college recently finished, Pipkin said.

One of the changes implemented is that faculty meetings and evaluations are now held weekly to work on techniques to teach and improve student-faculty relations, he said.

"The beginning and end to everything is the commitment to the student," Pipkin added.

The HFAC college will also be hosting external events for the community. Later this month, three professors and two students will share their talents and university experiences in a performance for a number of influential community members. The purpose of the event is to gain support and interest in UH and the HFAC college.

"UH is better known to various parts of the country than to the city of Houston," Pipkin said. "We are working to bring the city of Houston in touch with UH."

The new music building, to be completed by fall 1995, is also a major event for the college, said Pipkin, adding that the building will create a "major new gateway" for UH.

"Award-winning students deserve a first-rate facility," he said, "and the community needs a facility equal to the students' ability."

After the illness and death of former UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett in December 1991, the dean's office of HFAC became vacant when then-dean James Pickering replaced her.

Pipkin, who had been HFAC's interim dean, was recently confirmed to his new position, said Glenn Aumann, acting senior vice president of Academic Affairs and a member of the search committee that decided on Pipkin.

"The committee's goal was to support the responsive reshaping program and Creative Partnerships Campaign, which are both campus broad initiatives," Aumann said.

Pipkin began his UH career in 1973 teaching English.

FUTURE TYCOONS HELPED

by Yonca Poyraz

Many business owners, business consultants and UH professors agree that being well-rounded academically is not always enough to start a business.

However, students who are thinking about starting their own businesses shouldn't despair; the university provides assistance and guidance for budding entrepreneurs.

The Small Business Development Center, funded by UH and other private and public entities, provides free consulting, low-cost workshops, conferences and seminars to teach practical management skills.

Moreover, in the fall of 1993, UH students are going to be able to major in entrepreneurship, which requires 18 semester hours.

It is the first of its kind in the nation in which all the courses that make up the major have been newly designed and will not include any previously-taught courses.

Denise Patrick has been a small-business marketing consultant at SBDC for four years, owns a marketing agency and said she uses SBDC services. "I need someone who is good at what I am weak at. In SBDC, I have a counselor who is more specialized in accounting and business-planning."

Market feasibility, international trade, marketing to governments, loan assistance, financial control, technology access, cash management, bookkeeping and accounting are among the seminar topics that SBDC offers.

UH's entrepreneurship major will teach students how to start a business or how to buy an existing business, said William W. Sherrill, director of the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation.

An entrepreneur is someone who takes an idea of their own or someone else's and turns it into a business or improves the existing business, he said.

Approximately 3,600 business administration students will have a chance to choose the entrepreneurship major while they plan their career goals.

New-business starters have to learn how to make a business plan an elective course, he said.

Patrick said she would like to teach business in relation to the real world, as opposed to theory.

She encourages students to obtain internships in small businesses in order to understand what all workers' duties entail.

"Many people don't expect to do that. Everybody types, files, answers the phones and gets by the media in a small firm. They don't stick to doing just a small part of the job," she said.

General business consultant Carlos Lopez said graduates come to the SBDC for help.

Although their academic background is good, they don't have experience, he said.

Debbie Hudec, who teaches basics of bookkeeping and home based business, said 60 percent of the people who get help from the SBDC don't have college degrees.

HRM ALUMNUS STRIKES IT BIG

From cook to magnate, UH grad a self-made man

by John Varriale

It seems as though Nicholas Massad has always worked in the service and hospitality industries.

From high school days as a Dairy Queen cook to college days as a bellhop at Howard Johnson's, he knew he liked the industry. As do many young adults, Massad had pie-in-the-sky dreams. He wanted his own hotel.

"My goal was really to work with a company and get experience, but to ultimately own my own property," he said.

Now Massad owns American Liberty Hospitality, Inc. His company owns seven hotels and manages several others for investors.

Massad was one of the first graduates of UH's College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

He was taking business classes at UT-Arlington and working in a hotel when his manager told him he could get a degree in hotel management at UH. Massad then moved to Houston.

He said the program at this school has prepared him well for his career.

"It's an excellent program," he said. "I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the hotel and hospitality business or any related business."

Massad said students should be sure to get as much work experience in the industry as possible while still in school.

"Without that experience and degree, you just don't have all the tools (you need) to move up," he said. "It's a very good program, very strong."

While he attended classes at UH, Massad worked at one of the first Steak and Ale restaurants. He later worked at the Sheraton Town and Country Hotels as a waiter, bartender and captain.

After graduating in 1973, Massad moved back to Dallas and began his career at American Liberty, an oil-and-gas company that also owned three hotels. He served as Food and Beverage director at a Sheraton franchise in Dallas.

In 1983, he became aware that the Sheraton Town and Country in Houston was on the market. Massad persuaded American Liberty to purchase the hotel he had worked in as a student. He was then made general manager of the hotel.

Massad formulated a hotel management division within the company, then created American Liberty Hospitality -- a hotel management entity separate from the original company. The new company managed the Sheraton Town and Country and several other hotels.

In 1991, he purchased American Liberty Hospitality and now manages several hotels for investors, ranging from Holiday Inns to Ramada Inns. Massad said it's very common for ownership and management of a hotel to be two separate entities.

Massad's company also owns and operates its own chain of hotels, Homeplace Inns. These hotels are small, but high-quality units located in small cities, such as Alvin and San Marcos. Massad said he hopes to open more Homeplace Inns as the economy improves.

He said he tries to hire the best people possible and let them do their jobs.

"We hire the best folks we can find and keep them long-term."

Massad said the major obstacle to success is competition.

"Only those people who are dedicated to hard work and service will survive."

Massad has been in this business for nearly 20 years. For Massad and many UH students, future success starts here.

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT --

Vending cards begin trial run

by Sally Pouncy

UH students no longer need cash for vending machines on campus.

The Campus Express card gives students the opportunity to leave home without cumbersome cash.

UH and Service America are conducting a six-month experiment to see how well students respond to the cash card, said Marcia Gerhardt, director of Administrative Services.

"There are two (additional) reasons we decided to install the express card on campus: to give students better service on campus and to allow for easier purchase of vending items," she said.

Using credit, however, is nothing new to UH students.

The Cougar Express card is a popular method for food-purchase on campus. Since the Campus Express card comes with two magnetic strips, one for vending and the other for food purchases, only one card will be necessary. However, Gerhardt explained there has been some confusion about the two strips. "You can't put food purchases on the Campus Express strip, and you can't put vending purchases on the Cougar Express strip," she said.

This means that if your Campus Express account is empty, you cannot buy things from a vending machine.

Unfortunately, there is no theft protection for owners of the card and no cash-retrieval of excess funds at the end of the semester.

However, these minor drawbacks are not discouraging students from getting the card.

The UC Business Office has opened approximately 100 Campus Express accounts within the past two weeks.

If this program takes off, Gerhardt hopes to add features to the card. "We would like to put in services for using the copy center and have students be able to charge things to their account in the Etcetera store in the UC," she said.

When the six-month trial is finished, UH has the option to purchase the machines from Service America for around $35,000. "The cost of the machines would be covered by the increase in vending sales," said Gerhardt.

Eric Miller, Director of Media Relations, said, "UH currently receives a minimum of $420,000 from gross vending sales annually.

"The money from vending machines in buildings like Agnes Arnold Hall would go into a central budget pool and would be administered normally; money from machines in the residence halls and the UC would remain in the area it came from, " he said.

Fortunately, the Campus Express card has only drawn one complaint since classes began.

Apparently, one of the machines became hungry and ate a card. The owner received a replacement without any difficulty, Gerhardt said.

GOLDWIRE GUTS IT OUT DESPITE BOUT WITH FLU

by Jason Ramirez

The way the Houston Cougars played on Tuesday night against the Rice Owls, one might have thought they, not Anthony Goldwire, had the flu.

In probably the gutsiest performance of his career, an ailing Goldwire saw 31 minutes of action and poured in 11 points as he almost single-handedly brought the Cougars back to a near-victory over the Owls.

"I felt a little weak in the legs at halftime," Goldwire said. "To get ready for the second half, I tried not to think about it and just went out and played."

For the game, Goldwire made 4-of-9 shots, including three three-pointers. His 31 minutes topped Rafael Carrasco (26) and Jessie Drain (22).

"I wasn't all that surprised that Coach Pat Foster left me in for that long," Goldwire said. "During every time out, he would ask me how I was feeling. When I would tell him that I was fine, he continued to leave me in."

"Anthony played with a lot of guts," Foster said. "If you ask me, I didn't think he could last that long. When I learned that he could last, I didn't have any problems sticking with him."

It was just the Owls that Foster's Cougars were unable to stick with.

"Let's just say that I'm hurting a lot more emotionally than physically," Goldwire said. "Right now, it looks like we are in some trouble, but all we can do is hope that we get some help from these other teams and hope that SMU and Rice lose somewhere down the line."

Help? It looks that way, but for any of this to work, Houston is going to have to do its part, or it may as well just call in sick for the remainder of the season.

COUGARS FOWL OUT

The tears forming in David Diaz's eyes said it all.

The Houston Cougars, 11-5 (4-3), dropped a crucial 65-61 decision to the Rice Owls, 12-5 (6-1) in Hofheinz Pavilion Tuesday, snapping their eight-game home-win streak and falling to fourth in the conference. Rice now takes sole possession of first place.

"We couldn't hit the shots," said Houston coach Pat Foster. "When you don't shoot any better than that, it's hard to win a ball game."

What "that" meant was a horrible 24-of-67 shooting debacle for a season-low 34.3 percent. But the game was not out of reach until the final seconds.

Rice took its biggest lead of the game in the second half, 61-51, on a Scott Tynes lay-up with 2:27 left.

Rice forward Adam Peakes sank two free throws to make it 63-53 after Diaz, who finished with 12 points, committed his fifth foul and left the game with 1:25 remaining. Diaz's hand was far from hot, hitting just 3-of-15 field goals, including 1-of-10 from three-point range.

Lloyd Wiles came in for Diaz and nailed a three-pointer from the baseline to close within seven at 63-56. Time out Houston.

On the Owls' ensuing possession, Peakes lost the ball out-of-bounds with :44 left.

Houston point guard Anthony Goldwire, who was not scheduled to play because of the flu, swished his third trey of the night. Rice 63, Houston 59. Time out Houston.

In their full-court press, Cougars Charles "Bo" Outlaw and Derrick Smith smothered Peakes on the inbounds-pass, and Goldwire knocked it loose, driving in for the lay-up. Time out Houston, with :30 left.

Houston's press forced Rice to use their final time outs while eating only :08.

"We just needed one more possession," said Goldwire, who logged 31 minutes, 11 points and two assists. "We tried to keep the ball out of Marvin Moore's hands."

Moore, one of the top free throw shooters in the conference, was fouled by Wiles and sank both free throws to hand the Cougars their third loss in a row.

Outlaw led Houston with 13 points and 13 rebounds as four Cougars scored in double figures. Moore, Tynes and center Brent Scott combined to score 55 of Rice's 65 points.

"There's other games to go," Diaz said. "It's too early to call anything right now."

Houston saw two six-point leads in the first half melt away, with Tynes and Torrey Andrews combining for six points apiece. The score was tied at 29-29 going into halftime.

OWLS ATOP SWC COOP

All the comforts of home couldn't keep the Cougars from falling to the Rice Owls in Tuesday night's decisive loss before 9,260 vocal fans.

By the looks of things, the fourth-place Cougars seemed to slip onto their Lazy Boys, ready to watch as Rice, Southern Methodist and Baylor pass them up.

For the first time since 1986, the Cougars lost to Rice at home. Six years ago, the Cougars dropped their home game, 79-69. "A victory here is very important, especially because Houston is such a good team," center Brent Scott said. "Rice hasn't beaten them at home since 1986, and it feels good beating them here now."

Brent Scott was a force in the Owls' victory over the Cougars. He dumped in 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds.

During the 1988-89 season, the Cougars lost three in a row, two away from the friendly confines of Hofheinz Pavilion and one at home against SMU.

The Cougars were looking at Hofheinz as a safe haven from their recent road woes in which they dropped a game to Texas Tech as well as SMU.

Head coach Pat Foster summed up the Cougars' problems in a nutshell.

"We are having trouble doing everything right now," he said. "We are in a slump of monumental proportions."

The Cougars are looking toward the upswing of their rollercoaster ride through the Southwest Conference. At the halfway mark of the season, the Cougars look toward Saturday's game against Texas Christian, where they hit the road once again.

"There are other games to go," senior guard David Diaz said. "It is still too early to call anything right now."

The Owls aren't looking to fly away from the top spot in the SWC coop any time soon.

"We will keep on working and continue to be aggressive," sophomore forward Adam Peakes said. "We are a team that is well-balanced, but there is nothing set in stone."

Some things are set in stone however, and the four-point loss to Rice will not be easily forgotten.