ETHICS, VOTER TURNOUT CONCERNS IN SA ELECTION

by David Sikes

Daily Cougar

Wednesday marked the beginning of this year's Students' Association election process as two candidates from the same party filed for the same position.

Despite the two Radical Action Party (RAP) candidates filing early, most candidates don't file until the last day for strategic reasons, SA President Rusty Hruska, a senior architecture major, said. He said candidates like keeping their party platforms secret until then.

However, Hruska said that potential candidates within the parties are meeting now to share ideas and campaign strategies.

Chief election commissioner Ron Capehart, a junior political science major, and his two assistants will oversee the campaign and election.

"Voter turnout will be our biggest challenge this year, plus running a good clean campaign," said Capehart.

"Any student can file a complaint with the commission," he said. "We will investigate all complaints."

Candidates are required to attend one of three candidate seminars dealing with election codes and ethics.

"Basically it's going to assure that everyone knows and understands the election codes," said Natalie Sinn, a senior HRM major and assistant election commissioner.

Sinn added that the commission has plans to implement some checks and balances to ensure that last years ballot-stuffing incident doesn't occur again. Last year, election results were marred by claims of ballot-stuffing and other illegal election activities. In a run-off election, Hruska won.

Hruska says that he and the SA are dedicated to making this election better than the last.

"Voter turnout was down last year," Angie Milner, a junior journalism major and director of public relations for SA, said. "Only about 2,000 people voted."

"Our goal is to double the turnout this year," said Hruska.

Presidential candidates will have two opportunities to debate each other this year, Hruska said. SA will spend about $2,000 in advertisements to inform students of all election events.

A voter's guide will appear in The Daily Cougar a week after the filing deadline with all pertinent information on the candidates.

Charles Gaviola, a junior business major, will chair this year's election committee, which has drafted new election codes. Last year's election was marred by controversy, so several changes have been made.

SA is posting five signs on campus this year with information on student government, candidates and the election, said Capehart.

Eight locked metal ballot boxes will be used this election instead of the 12 cardboard boxes used last year. No campaign paraphernalia of any kind can be posted or worn within 50 feet of the polls or off campus except on private property.

Extreme violators of the election code will be subject to as much as 10 hours of community service this year. The service must be done on campus and within five days of the violation, according to the election code.

"Last year all we could do was tell violators to stop," said Capehart.

"This new method should be more effective. 10 hours of community service should make them think twice before doing something wrong," he added.

Candidate applications can be filed through Feb. 10 for the 36 positions open to qualified students. Elections will be held March 3 and 4.

*******************************************************

ARCHITECTURE REVEALED

by Christine Law

A display about the world of architecture and the impact architects have always had on society will be organized by a UH professor and shown in March at the Menil Collection.

Drexel Turner, a teacher of architectural criticism, currently works part-time at the Menil Collection.

The Menil Collection, located at 1515 Sul Ross in the museum district, is a private collection of works (both art and architecture) owned by Dominique and Jean de Menil.

The series of exhibits will contain architectural drawings, models and information about the architects and their work. The number of pieces in each exhibit will vary.

Turner said that visitors to this exhibit can look forward to viewing 12 tables displaying models, details of models and drawings.

The public will be able to sit down and peruse books and magazine articles detailing and critically assessing each architect's work, he said.

For future exhibits, Turner and the Menil Collection has other attractions planned. "(There will be) computer terminals, video displays of projects and free-standing projects in the foyer," said Turner.

The Menil Collection director, Paul Winkler, said architectural urban issues have always been a focus for the collection and he hopes the series of exhibits planned this spring will be of some benefit to Houstonians.

The Menils, who are benefactors of the Menil Collection and several other collections such as the Rothko Chapel, have been actively involved in the art and architecture scene for many years.

With their interests in mind, Winkler has hopes that the architectural community will take interest in the upcoming exhibits.

Winkler also hopes that the exhibits will give the public a broader experience of design and planning within this city and country. "We hope to raise the standards of the city and make [Houston] a more beautiful city," said Winkler.

With the growing interest of the Menil Collection in architecture, the museum presented the work of Japanese architect Tadao Anda in 1992. This exhibit was the start of a more concentrated effort by the Collection in the area of architecture.

The first exhibit in an upcoming series will also be dedicated to a singular architect, Renzo Piano, and his contributions.

Piano was commissioned by the Menils to design their main museum building more than a decade ago. The exhibit will be titled "Renzo Piano Building Workshop: Selected Projects," organized by the Architectural League of New York and the Italian Cultural Institute.

There will be a series of smaller shows following the Renzo exhibit that will be focused on individual projects. Turner said he hopes to put together exhibits on the work of Frank Gehry and Frank Lloyd Wright.

"Renzo Piano Building Workshop: Selected Projects" will be on display in Richmond Hall (an annex of the Menil Collection) from March 11 to May 30. Richmond Hall is located at 1416 Richmond. The exhibit hours will be the same as the main museum hours, and there will be no entrance charge.

PICKERING: RECYCLE UH STAFF

Reshaping - not restructuring - was the topic of President James Pickering's talk Wednesday morning when he addressed UH staff in the Wortham Theatre.

As the university looks to change its structure, Pickering promised staff members that they would receive training programs and that they would not be let go.

"You can't change the structure of an institution without having dislocations, but we want to recycle people. You are not going to come in one day and find your door locked," said Pickering.

Training program plans will form as a result of the reshaping process and will focus on personal development and business administration skills.

For staff members who need specialized training to move into new jobs, technical programs will also be implemented.

The reshaping of the university is designed to refocus all UH resources to areas where they will be the most effective, to re-examine the priorities of the school and to streamline every department. Exactly what changes will be made, and which positions, if any, will be cut, is not yet known.

Howard Jares, interim director and president of an advisory committee that reports to Pickering, said some of the good staff members leave because they feel the future is not good.

"One of the assets this university has is people, but we have problems. Students complain about the way they are handled. Training programs will help the staff get on a good career track and it will help us retain better staff," said Jares.

"I started working here right out of high school. Now I have this title," he said about the staff's opportunities for advancement.

With performance funding fast approaching and the possibility of a 3 percent cut in UH funding due to state employee salary raises, finding funding for these programs may be a problem.

Performance funding is a program that will be implemented by the state in 1994. The program takes 10 percent of a school's budget and only returns it if and when the institution has lived up to quality measures specified by the state.

"Under the guise of performance measures, UH could lose up to $3 million," said Pickering.

Jares believes that although funds have not yet been allocated for the programs, Pickering is dedicated to the training programs.

"We want to enhance and retain jobs to better the institution," said Pickering.

Right now the reshaping process is still in the stage of component analysis, which involves identifying the best way to reshape each division in the university.

A SPORTS INTERNSHIP WITH A KICK

Students survey crowd enthusiasm

A new Sports Administration and Sport Studies (SASS) program puts 20 University of Houston students in a league of their own. The NBA.

SASS has developed a student program to discover the reason for the decline of fan enthusiasm at Houston Rocket games. The students try to determine the demographic and psychographic characteristics of fans, such as what motivates them to attend games.

In April 1992, Dr. Shayne Quick, the coordinator of SASS at Health and Human Performances, was contacted by the Rockets for internships. UH student David Tagliarino was sent and wound up uniting SASS with the Rockets to form the program.

The program quickly grew and Quick and his students plan to stay busy attending Rocket games.

During their first game Jan. 28, SASS members handed out surveys to fans asking what they like about basketball and what needs to be done to improve it. "It is on-sight education. We find out who they are and what they like," Quick said.

He has four graduate students working on the program. Each graduate student is responsible for five undergraduate students.

Students passed out surveys to the fans and an attempt to get George Bush to fill one out failed, but he did sign autographs.

The survey asked questions such as "What would motivate you to attend more games?" The question is followed by a number of statements which are to be answered with yes or no. Another question asked how many games the fan has attended.

These questions are aimed at establishing consumer profiles and determining what would cause sports fans to use products offered by the Houston Rockets.

Quick said the program has great potential to be on-going, depending on the current restriction of the budget.

"How far we want to take it depends on the resources we want to put into it. The program is good all around. It gives students an excellent opportunity to find out if this (Sports Administration) is really what they want to do. It is good for the department and it is a good opportunity for my study," Quick said.

"It's a good program, born out of one student. It provides too many opportunities not to expand. We knocked on a lot of doors. For every five doors you knock on, four might say, 'It's a very nice program, but there's nothing we can do for you,' the (fifth) says, 'We can use what you've got,' " he said.

Brad Ewing, the director of marketing for the Houston Rockets, is very optimistic about the SASS program.

"It allows Quick and his students hands-on experience instead of reading a textbook. It gives them an opportunity to participate. It's a natural extension," he said.

Looking for interns, Ewing met with UH students and decided to "solicit" Quick's program. He wants the program to be done on a regular basis and said he believes the program will be very worthwhile.

"A lot has changed in the city. We want to know how we can serve fans better. Our fans are working; they're honest," Ewing said.

Christine Carlin, one of the graduate students involved with the survey, is working on her master's degree in sports administration.

"It's great for students to get involved. It helps students realize if they are interested in this field," she said.

She added that the goal of the program is to get more of the fans to participate. "I hope the program will find a place at other events in the Summit. Hopefully we can make this an ongoing thing," she said.

ROLE OF UN CHANGING, DEBTS AFFECTING OBJECTIVES

The secretary-general of the United Nations says the role of the UN needs to be redetermined with the kind of expediency observed during the collapse of the Soviet bloc.

However, Joseph Glatthaar, chairman of the history department and a military history expert, said the debt problem the UN faces will continue to curb peacekeeping efforts.

The UN sits in the epicenter of the world's political community. Its purposes have been to save succeeding generations from war, reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, establish conditions under which respect for international law and treaties is maintained, and to promote social progress.

It has the power to authorize military action, provide humanitarian aid, stabilize governments and enforce restrictions such as no-fly zones.

Despite this towering responsibility, economic problems are weakening its position as the world's security and diplomatic organization, contends Boutros Boutros-Ghali, secretary-general of the UN.

"The United States is in a recession and for years hasn't paid its bills," he said.

From fiscal year April 1992 to April 1993, the organization will have spent an estimated $202 million -- not including the cost of the U.S. Department of Defense's humanitarian operation -- on the hunger relief campaign in Somalia.

The UN will also spend an estimated $600 million on protection forces in the strife-torn former Yugoslavia, which has splintered into Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina,and Macedonia.

As the cost of providing global security continues to soar, the debt that five UN member states have incurred places limits on what the organization can accomplish.

At $400.2 million, Russia has the most outstanding overall debt, with the U.S. following at $287.3 million, and South Africa at $71.4 million. Japan and the Ukraine round out the top five with debt totals of $55 million and $46.6 million, respectively.

Together, such member states as Russia, Japan, the United States, Italy and the Ukraine have a collective peacekeeping debt -- as opposed to their outstanding debts -- of $452.1 million.

The friction between Iraq and the United States has raised questions about whether the organization should support a standing military force.

"It's a very expensive proposition. Plus, you have technological problems," Glatthaar said. "When we sell arms overseas, we don't sell the best we have -- only to close friends."

He cited the Korean War as an example of how the United States shouldered much of the burden in terms of military strategy and action.

In cases where a nation such as Bosnia-Herzegovina is in danger, the organization is called on for leadership and resources.

"The problem is, before you commit military personnel, you need to have a clear-cut objective. You need to know how you're going to go about restoring peace," Glatthaar said.

Since the Cold War, the world security organization has stood in the midst of erupting hostilities in Iraq and participated in humanitarian missions for the citizens of Somalia and Cambodia.

Since its establishment in 1945, the UN has served as an institution that facilitates enforcement of international policies across borders.

Since the axis of communism has practically disappeared, the number of nations scurrying to find political identities has increased. The costs of maintaining peace, developing countries, and deploying peacekeeping troops have risen while the number of nations in need of such assistance has dramatically increased.

Holding the line against Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, for example, has proven costly. His seeming disregard for cease-fire agreements has helped exacerbate the situation within the Middle East.

Peacekeeping had a price tag of about $2.8 billion in the first half of 1992, which represented a four-fold increase.

Boutros-Ghali wrote: "Expenses are likely to rise even higher with new and expanded operations that could be launched in the coming months. Meanwhile the continued failure of most member states to meet their financial commitments to peacekeeping operations and to the United Nations in general is a most serious problem.

"The continued viability of these missions, as well as the credibility of the United Nations itself, is threatened."

The debt problem that is plaguing the organization will continue to eat at its core as questions are raised about whether it can continue to honor its commitments and charter

The problems make the task of creating conditions of stability and well-being even harder.

Article 55 of the UN Charter states the organization should promote "higher standards of living, full employment, and conditions of economic and social progress; solutions of international economic, social, health and related problems; and international cultural and educational cooperation; and universal respect for, and observance of, human rights and fundamental freedoms for all ...."

Boutros-Ghali contends representatives of member states should not only honor their financial commitments, but rethink the concept of sovereignty.

"While respect for the fundamental sovereignty and integrity of the state remains central, it is undeniable that the centuries-old doctrine of absolute and exclusive sovereignty no longer stands, and was in fact never so absolute as it was conceived to be in theory," wrote Boutros-Ghali in a recently-published foreign policy journal.

Thirteen nations that joined as members of the UN in 1992 are Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Republic of Moldova, San Marino, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.

The Czech and Slovak republics, which joined the organization on Jan. 13 of this year, brought the total of member nations to 180.

"These new nations will not fundamentally change the makeup of the general assembly, but they will add to the complexity of the voting process," said Joseph Nogee, a professor of political science.

The organization is capable of acting only when there is a consensus. "The UN cannot do anything more than its leading members are prepared to do," Nogee said.

He said there is no danger of the UN losing its credibility.

"The UN has more promise today than it has had for a long time because of the ability of security council members to work together," Nogee said. "As long as they are able to do that, they will find the resources to undertake what they agree to do."

STELLAR LINE UP MAKES DIM STARS SHINE

by Manuel Esparza

With a style as smooth as sandpaper, Richard Hell is back.

And he's not alone.

With him are two of the most distinctive guitarists of the alternative set, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) and Don Fleming (ex - Dinosaur Jr.). Together with Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, they became the Dim Stars.

Coming together in 1991 to have fun with an EP, they've decided to put out a full LP. The resulting effort is a paradox of brilliant parts that doesn't quite shine as a whole (guess that's why they're called the Dim Stars).

Hell has harnessed Moore's and Fleming's playing to the band's chariot with Pharoah Hell's songwriting cracking the whip. Hell, who has played with Tom Verlaine and Johnny Thunders, wrote or co-wrote the majority of the songs.

Hell writes complex melodies and anchors them to simple rhythms. His songs give Moore and Fleming plenty of latitude to push their differing styles.

Moore and Fleming use this room to run amok on the album. Those familiar with Sonic Youth will easily recognize Moore's work. Fleming seems to be the one doing most of the rhythm guitar pieces, but he still has plenty of time to rip in his own manner.

Making appearances is Moore's friend, Robert Quine. Quine also does six string work on several songs throughout the disc. He's the one responsible for bringing the blues classic "Natchez Burning" to the group.

The major shortcoming of the disc has to be Hell's vocals. His voice is a bit high and very annoying. If his song writing wasn't so great, this would sink the album.

Fortunately he doesn't sing all the songs.

He did write all of the original lyrics though, and they can be as vicious as "Memo To Marty", or as nutty as the parody "Weird Forest".

The Dim Stars collaboration has produced a sound that reflects its members background.

Hell's musical longevity is due in part to an eight year retirement, but mostly to his writing talent. Having worked with the more adventurous musicians of the times, it is no wonder he enjoys working with Fleming, Moore and Shelley. These three are direct products of Hell's earlier works, if not in style then in wider audiences.

Shelley, Moore and Fleming are not new to the music world either. Sonic Youth has been around since the early 80s. Fleming is more famous for producing than he is for playing.

The Dim Stars may not put out another album. They don't need to, this one's not going to be topped by this line up.

MFA NOTES MUSIC HISTORY REEL MUSIC FEATURES JAZZ

by Rebecca McPhail

The Museum of Fine Arts, in conjunction with SumArts, is honoring Black History Month with a cinematic tribute to America's original art form -- jazz.

"Reel Music: A Celebration of Jazz on Film," a collection of four jazz-centered films, begins this Friday with Texas Tenor: The Illinois Jacquet Story.

Focusing on Louisiana tenor saxophonist Illinois Jacquet, the film was screened last year at Houston's WorldFest film festival where it became an audience favorite.

It was Nat "King" Cole who helped launch Jacquet's career in 1942. Cole told band leader Lionel Hampton to check out Jacquet's playing.

Hampton was duly impressed. So much so, in fact, Hampton offered the 19 year old a spot in his band -- on one condition -- Jacquet must switch from alto to tenor sax.

The film reaches from the 40s ballroom at the Savoy to present-day Harvard, where Jacquet still teaches.

The Illinois Jacquet Story is a gritty, gripping portrait of a man who has devoted his life to his music.

MFA will screen the film at 8 p.m. Friday and at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Jacquet will be present at both screenings.

Other films in the series include Jazz on a Summer's Day, Round Midnight and Thelonious Monk: Straight No Chaser.

For more details on times and ticket information call MFA at 639-7515.

SOMMERSBY TOUCHES HEART, DRENCHES HANKY

by Deborah Hensel

Just before Valentine's Day, romantics begin to hunger for two things: a big box of chocolates and a breathtaking love story.

Sommersby, the latest Warner Brothers' release starring Richard Gere and Jodie Foster, will satisfy your craving for the latter. There's no gooey center in this film -- this is a love story based on integrity.

The biggest disappointment of most modern film romances has been the absence of genuine electricity between the leads.

In the 1930s, Gable and Lombard had it. In the 1990s Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston did not.

Now, the fortuitous pairing of Foster and Gere demonstrates how to fan the fire from a spark to a slow burn.

Foster, a two-time Academy Award winner for best actress, is a pro at projecting emotion with a subtle gesture, a glacially placid look.

Gere is better than average as the mystery man whose character is transformed by a woman's love.

Sommersby is the story of a man who returns from the Civil War to lead his community back to prosperity and re-kindle the passion in his marriage.

Jack has been gone so long that he's been given up for dead.

In the interim, his wife Laurel has been scratching out a meager existence for herself and her son, aided by a patient suitor.

Imagine their surprise when Jack Sommersby strides back into town very much alive. But this is a tale of two Jacks, and the mystery that drives this plot.

The pre-war Jack was apparently a cold, abusive drunk. The new, improved Jack is an honorable leader, a tender lover and a patient father.

Is he really Jack Sommersby or an imposter doing the far, far better thing?

One has to wonder: Wouldn't a wife innately know her husband -- at least better than the family dog and the local cobbler?

That's where Sommersby's credibility starts to break down. Fortunately, the suspense and the passion carry us along for the rest of this complex story.

Why would Laurel -- a strong, sensible, principled woman -- take a stranger into her home and bear his child?

The film has its slow moments, particularly the segment that looks like a documentary on tobacco farming.

Still, Sommersby makes up for minor flaws by delivering a poignant message about honor and the sacrifices made necessary by love.

Warner Brothers asks that the ending not be revealed, but here's some advice. If you go see it with someone you love, ask for identification. And, take a box of tissues. Sommersby is a two-hanky tear jerker.

REMARKS CAUSE CONTROVERSY ABOUT RACE, EDUCATION

by Meagan McGovern

In this time of "political correctness" in all things, any hint of racism or prejudice, especially in education, is immediately suspect.

So when the head of UH's Mexican-American Studies Program recently asked Austin High School teachers whether non-Hispanics should be teaching Hispanic students, some educators were offended.

Tatcho Mindiola spoke at the high school Jan. 27 during a UH Mexican-American studies seminar on "Sensitivity."

The Mexican-American program is working with teachers and administrators at Austin High School, which is 96 percent Hispanic, to recruit future UH students.

"It was kind of a shock," said Austin's principal, Roy Torrez, about Mindiola's remarks during the training seminar.

Although Torrez doesn't feel that Mindiola's remarks were prejudiced, he understands why some of his staff members feel that way.

"I think some of them came away feeling resentful," he said. "The attitude they felt he had was, 'you have to be Hispanic to teach Hispanic students.'"

Mindiola said some of his remarks were misconstrued. "In a school and a community that is 99.9 percent Hispanic, and where the faculty is 60 to 70 percent Anglo, the cultural gap has to be bridged somehow. It's not absolutely necessary for a teacher to be Hispanic, but those demographics require that a majority be Mexican-American," he said.

Improving the ratio of Hispanic teachers would immediately solve a lot of Austin's problems, he said. He believes that more than 50 percent of the school's faculty should be Hispanic.

"The alienation a lot of the parents feel when they can't talk to the teacher, the misunderstanding of the culture - these would all be solved by hiring Hispanic teachers," Mindiola said.

UH's Mexican-American Studies Program works closely with the high school students to help them make it to college, and ultimately, into UH's program.

Mindiola's remarks may have made it difficult for Austin's teachers to feel confident about sending their students to UH. "I was so incensed after Mindiola's presentation that I went and took down all of UH's flyers," said one teacher from Austin.

"I would never send a student into his program knowing that he'd be in charge," said the English as a Second Language teacher, who wished to remain anonymous. "This guy is a role model? We left feeling that he was trying to segregate the school's faculty."

One teacher at Austin, who said she is very involved in Hispanic culture, was resentful of Mindiola's remarks. "He was confrontational and came in here with the assumption that if we weren't Hispanic, then we weren't appropriate teachers," said M.J. Braun.

"He doesn't know the teachers here. He didn't ask us if we knew the culture, or what we're doing to try to learn. He just came in here and started pointing fingers," said Braun, who teaches English to Hispanic students. "Of course if you don't know the culture of these kids you can't teach them as effectively," she said. "But that doesn't mean I can't learn their culture just because I'm not Hispanic."

Braun said her students are producing the first Spanish newspaper in the history of HISD. "I thought we went in for sensitivity training. I asked him to please teach us so we can understand more. Don't tell me because I'm Anglo it's impossible to reach these kids."

Mindiola said he believes some Anglo teachers are doing a great job at Austin. "Just because you're Mexican doesn't make you a superior person," he said. "It doesn't mean that there aren't Anglos who are doing a good job. I just think they have to take an extra step to understand the culture."

He said if teachers at Austin feel they can teach Hispanics without any knowledge of their culture, then, "Why aren't the students there doing better? The faculty there does not impress us as having the in-depth knowledge to deal with these issues."

Mindiola said there are teachers at Austin who don't care at all about Hispanic culture. "I had a teacher come up to me after the seminar and tell me how much he resents immigrants taking his tax money by being on welfare," he said. "The kids he teaches are immigrants. How can he teach them properly?"

He said one teacher told him that because of the way Hispanic girls dress, they're inviting sexual harassment. "To teach these students, you're going to have to be sensitive to their culture," said Mindiola.

Lorenzo Cano, the associate director of the Mexican-American Studies Program who also participated in the seminar at Austin, said Mindiola had asked teachers whether or not they believed that to teach Hispanics, teachers have to understand Hispanics.

"If you don't believe that, how are you going to handle the language, the culture, to improve dialogue?" asked Cano. He said Hispanic teachers are under-represented at Austin, but that anyone who cares about students could make a good teacher.

"I've seen good teachers there who aren't Hispanic, who care enough to make home visits, who have taken the time to learn Spanish," he said.

Tim Salem, an Austin English teacher, said anyone who felt Mindiola was racist had misconstrued his remarks. "Personally, I enjoyed the session," said Salem. "These race-related issues are always around, and he just brought them to the surface. I agree that we don't have enough Hispanic teachers or role-models for these kids."

The main problem at Austin, he said, is a lack of self-esteem among the students, not the lack of Hispanic teachers. Salem said one teacher commented during the session, "No one ever said to me, 'You were such a good Hispanic teacher.' They just told me I was good."

The issues raised about race and culture are valid ones at Austin, where more than half of the 3,000 students are foreign-born and few are native speakers of English. The Mexican-American Studies Program at UH is very involved with Austin High School and offers tutoring, counseling, and scholarships to students there.

Laura Gonzalez, the project coordinator for Mexican-American studies, said UH has been working with one group of Austin seniors since they were in the eighth grade at Jackson Junior High.

Gonzalez, who also participated in the sensitivity training seminar at Austin, said any student in the Hispanic family project who is accepted to UH is guaranteed a minimum $4000 scholarship over four years.

"We offer counseling and support, we help them get the classes that they need, and we do anything we can to keep these kids in school," she said.

Once enrolled at UH, these students can minor in Mexican-American studies. "We offer classes in history, drama, poetry - anything that will give students a better awareness of our culture, of the experiences we have gone through," said Gonzalez.

JENKINS RECRUITS DEFENSIVE CLASS

by Patti Warner

A struggling Cougars defense received a much needed shot in the arm Wednesday when the recruiting class of '93 began pledging its devotion to their school of choice.

Houston coach John Jenkins said the newest kids on the Cougar block were the best collection of defensive players he has ever assembled in his seven years as head coach.

"It was definitely a defensive draft as I promised," Jenkins said. "I can't be more excited. There is a good blend of youth and experience that will definitely bolster the defense."

Twenty of the 27 recruits announced Wednesday were defensive additions. Leading the way were eight junior college transfers who Jenkins says will add valuable experience to his defense.

"I believe junior college recruiting is the vehicle of the future," Jenkins said. "When the GPA requirements change in 1995, there will be a considerably smaller pool to come out of high schools."

Chris Jones, a two-time NJCAA All-American out of Coffeyville Community College, was one of the top recruited linebackers in the country. The 6-4, 235-pound Houston native led his team to the junior Rose Bowl game in Tyler last year.

"This was a a key guy for us," Jenkins said. "He was highly recruited."

George Pratt (6-1, 225), teamed with Jones and led their team in tackles.

"George is a really intense guy with great speed," Jenkins said.

Alfred Young (5-11, 175), an NJCAA All-American cornerback out of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College was named defensive player of the year in the Southern region.

"Alfred Young will be an immediate fixture here," Jenkins said. "He has a great background."

Colin Scrivener, (6-6, 285), led the nation in tackles at College of the Siskiyous. "Scrivener is a rare athlete," Jenkins said. "He is a big, tough aggressive guy and a great pass rusher."

Jenkins said he expects Billy Milner (6-8, 296), another NJCAA All-American, to make an immediate impact on the defense.

"He can really move," said Jenkins of the defensive lineman out of Southwest Mississippi Community College. "And of course, he's as tall as an East Texas pine tree."

James Puckett, (6-4, 290), is a dominating defensive lineman out of Northwest Mississippi Junior College. He's also expected to make an instant impact.

The Cougars also signed Demond James, (6-1, 240), a linebacker from Sacramento City College; and Mark Gray, (6-6, 265), a center from Snow College in Utah.

Other top recruits were Jack Hansen, (6-2, 275), a center out of Chaffey Community College in Los Angeles; and Mike Meux, (6-2, 285), a defensive lineman out of Fresno City College.

Two of the biggest names in high school recruits also pledged their devotion to Houston Wednesday.

Tyson Anderson, (6-4, 250), a linebacker from Oakland, Calif. and Marcus Vidrine, (6-6, 275), an offensive lineman from Sulphur, La., were rated as top prospects in their respective states.

Vidrine, rated in Blue Chip Magazine as one of the top 100 prospects in the country, chose the Cougars over top ranked Alabama and Louisiana State.

"Boy, what a catch this was," Jenkins said. "He came to a few games last season and was very excited about his opportunities. He is destined for a big-time career."

Anderson, who will add speed and quickness, recorded more than 40 sacks in the last two years.

"I used a family connection here," Jenkins said. "I coached his brother in Nacogdoches."

Another recruit that has Cougar coaches seeing stars is Otis Grant, (6-6, 255). The name should sound familiar to Cougar fans. He was highly recruited out of Willowridge in 1991, then failed to meet the university's academic requirements.

"He has really matured," Jenkins said. "We are counting on him for instant help."

More defensive help comes in the area of defensive linemen. Fort Worth Wyatt star Bruce Thompson, (6-6, 310), is regarded as one of the top four defensive linemen in the country.

"His shoe size is a 20, and the width of that thing stretches over all four lanes of the freeway," Jenkins said. "He is a big-time performer."

David White, (6-4, 250), from Dallas Kimball, and Ulric Roberson, (6-0, 255), from Tomball, will play big roles in rebuilding Houston's defense.

Roosevelt Pierce, (6-3, 180), of Sweeney, and Michael Jones (6-0, 180), of Henderson, will add speed and versatility as defensive safeties. Linebackers signed include Jason Brown, (6-6, 220), out of Palestine, Reggie Davis, (6-3, 225), from Duncanville, Brad Tinchner, (6-1, 230), of Mineral Wells, and Anthony Woodberry, (6-6, 210) from Texarkana, Ark.

Offensively, the Cougars were in need of receivers to replace seniors Freddie Gilbert and Tracy Good.

Leading the way are track sensations Isaac Bell and Joey Mouton.

Bell, (5-9, 160), an All-American out of Nacogdoches, was listed as one of the top 15 running backs in Texas. Bell will be used as a slot receiver.

Mouton, (5-10, 170), will also provide speed to the receiving corps.

"They are two of the fastest guys in America," Jenkins said. "They will make great slot receivers."

Darrell Henderson, (6-0, 175) played quarterback at Westfield.

"Option quarterbacks make great slot receivers," Jenkins said.

Damion Johnson, (6-3, 175) helped lead 5-A state champion Temple.

"He is what we call a sleeper," Jenkins said. "Someone didn't do their homework here."

Another addition to an already strong Houston offense line is B.J. Dunson, (6-4, 265).

"We won't know what these guys will do until they actually hit the field," Jenkins said. "The proof is in the pudding."

LADY COUGARS PLUCK OWLS, 63-56

Unlike their male counterparts, the Lady Cougars were able to snag a 63-56 victory from the Rice Owls Wednesday at Autry Court.

After a sluggish first half, the Cougars found aspects of their game that had been lacking, thanks to sharp shooting from senior Andi Jackson who had 15 points and four rebounds.

With the Cougars down 36-34, Jackson hit a trey to boost the Cougars past the Owls, 37-36.

"Andi hit a crucial shot when we needed it," coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "She has played well this season and has been a spark for us."

The yo-yo Cougars did not exhibit half of energy they had in their close Texas game and this Coach Kenlaw recognized.

"If we had played tonight like we played against Texas this game wouldn't even had been close," she said. "We tend to play to level of our competition."

Senior forward Stephanie Edwards poured 14 points and eight rebounds into the Cougars bucket. Antionette Issac also had a productive night posting nine points and five rebounds.

Senior Margo Graham was quiet until midway through the second half, when she started hitting her inside game.

"Margo was out of it with their zone," Kenlaw said. "When she doesn't play as well the team doesn't always play as they should."

Margo finished the night with eight points and seven rebounds.

The Cougars raised their Southwest Conference record to an even (3-3), and a 9-9 record overall. The Owls fell to 1-5 in the SWC.

As far as the Cougars SWC playoff hunt is concerned, coach Kenlaw is looking no further than their next game.

"We want to go to the SWC tournament as well as the NCAA's , but first we have to position ourselves to get there," coach Kenlaw said. "We have got to get consistent first."

The Cougars neverending search for consistency was apparent as they committed 23 turnovers and went stale for the first 10 minutes of the second half. This lapse allowed the Owls to gain ground on the Cougars.

As in the past, the team got a surprise from their bench. Freshman Yvette Westbrooks had six points and two rebounds and muscled her way under the basket.

"Yvette came in and made a contribution tonight," Kenlaw said. "She has been playing hard at practice all week and I saw this and decided to give her playing time. It was paticularly nice to see her respond on a night when when Margo was not on."

PLANET POWER

by Manuel Esparza

The best thing about local bands is that if you like what you hear, all you have to do is wait a couple of weeks and they'll be playing again.

Even better than that is when they finally go on vinyl, you can hear them at home as well as at your favorite beer hall.

Pretty Wild Planet has played just about every Houston venue and made the folks at David Geffen Corporation take note. The group pre-released their first-ever disc at the Vatican last week. I t will be in stores Feb. 6 at Cactus Records, and the foursome sound as if this were their 10th album.

The 13 original tracks show that PWP knows its way around effects pedals. Shawn and Steve (the band eschews last names) do not use these effects to make their sound larger, but just to change the tone.

The vocals are light and barely top the rest of the instruments. It's too bad because Shawn does have a pleasing voice, and the lyrics appear to have taken a bit of effort.

The whole sound of the band is guitar-oriented, and everything else is subordinated to that. The riffs are not heavy ripping metal, nor are they short under-talented pop bursts, but are soaring cuts full of energy and great sound.

Underneath this is a pretty good rhythm piece by drummer Laurence and bassist Mark. Laurence pounds out some involved rhythms. He also keeps the band's energy level high, while Mark is solid in his playing.

This is a terrific album. The production is as smooth as a highly polished mirror. If the Euro-guitar sound is your thing, you'll like this. If it isn't, why not give this a test spin at the local record store. Better yet, go see them live.