STUDENT LOSES ELECTION

by Rivka Gewirtz and Deborah Hensel

AUSTIN -- After Saturday night's agenda of Mexican food, margaritas and Texas two-stepping, Texas Students' Association delegates went back to business Sunday morning to close their 45th annual conference in Austin.

The first major order of business for the 13 remaining schools was the election of a new TSA vice-president from a field of three, including Kevin Jefferies, UH Students' Association director of external affairs.

The first vote eliminated candidate Brandy Copley of Lamar University in Orange, leaving Jefferies in a run-off with Ronica Ramirez, interim vice-president from Texas A&M.

The final vote was 39 to 35 in favor of Ramirez, but was reached only after considerable floor debate on the type of vote and disclosure of the tally on a school-by-school basis.

UH is also one of three schools that will submit a written bid for the fall 1993 TSA conference. Other schools bidding are Lamar University and Sam Houston State.

The assembly passed legislation affecting the by-laws which define the East Texas region of TSA, shifting Beaumont-area colleges out of the Southeast region.

A similar change in the West Texas region did not pass.

A resolution regarding TSA's position on performance-based allocations, authored by Jefferies and Leslie Smith of Sul Ross University, passed without opposition after amendments were made.

However, the vote preventing the resolution from having priority status on TSA's platform was 7-6, on the basis of one vote per school. The majority of schools that stood in opposition to the bill were those with larger enrollments.

Texas A&M delegate Steven Beller said the Legislature had not yet resorted to performance-based appropriations measures, but the threat exists.

Anti-indoor-smoking rules that will affect UH on March 1 are also affecting Central Texas College. CTC representatives Eddie Rivas and Melvin

had a bill passed which will have TSA recommend that smokers be given a site on campuses where they can smoke while protected from bad weather.

*******************************************************

SA CANVASSES AUSTIN LEGISLATORS FOR FUNDING SUPPORT

by Deborah Hensel

AUSTIN -- State legislators unexpectedly broke early Thursday for a three-day weekend, leaving Texas Students' Association representatives with almost no one to lobby.

Friday, UH Students' Association members went door-to-door visiting Houston-area legislators and UH alumni and used invitations to a Feb. 16 alumni reception as their calling card.

Out of 40 state senators and representatives slated for visits, UH's SA representatives met with three legislators and two aides.

Student Regent Mitch Rhodes and Students' Association Director of External Affairs Kevin Jefferies met with representatives Ken Yarborough, Mario Gallegos and Bob Eckels Jr. to discuss funding for higher education, performance measures for university funding and legislation mandating a non-voting, participating student regent on the university board.

Although Rep. Mike Jackson was out of the office, Rhodes and Jefferies met with his legislative assistant, Lamoin Scott.

Sen. John Whitmire was also out of the office, but SA President Russell Hruska and SA Senator Jason Fuller were greeted with cheers and the Cougar-paw sign by his staff -- all UH alumni.

All available legislators and aides indicated their support for a student regent who will be allowed to participate in policy discussions. Gallegos, who serves on the House Appropriations Committee, and Eckels stated they would be reluctant to cut funding for higher education.

"I can assure you, UH is well represented up here," Gallegos said.

Despite the lawmakers' early departure, UH's SA contingent was optimistic about the impact of the visits.

"I think we accomplished a lot," Hruska said. "By personally stopping by, we let them know we were there, that we're concerned about the issues, and we'll be back."

STUDENTS FLOOD AUSTIN TO SAVE EDUCATION FUNDS

Students cram into state Capitol

to rally support for higher education

Rivka Gewirtz

Absent legislators and rain did not prevent Texas students from uniting in Austin to lobby for more higher education funding.

Although most legislators had already left for a three-day weekend Thursday, UH's Students' Association and 200 other students from across Texas crammed into the Capitol's Reagan Room to meet with representatives Sherri Greenberg and Glen Maxi.

The Texas Students' Association gathered to protest tuition hikes, non-representation on their universities' regents boards and lack of funding for higher education.

According to the Texas Legislative Budget Office, expenditures for higher education have only increased 2 percent over the last eight years while other state-funded institutions' expenditures have increased by up to 50 percent. For example, funding for correctional facilities have increased 127 percent.

University of Texas-San Antonio Student Body President Tom Cain said, "It is necessary to attract companies with the kind of jobs that Texas needs. Cutbacks in education will only send these companies to other states that are willing to spend on education now."

Maxi and Greenberg, both former students of Texas universities, supported TSA in their efforts to gain a student regent who will be allowed to participate in policy discussions.

"Education is a commodity, and you are the consumers. You have a right to have student representation on the governing boards of these institutions," Greenberg said.

As students from UH, Texas A&M and the University of Texas-Austin rallied together for the first time in over 15 years, Student Body President Ron Skillans from the University of North Texas left the crowd cheering with his closing speech.

"Education is like Coca Cola -- it's the real thing; education is like Pepsi -- it's the choice of a new generation; education is like Chevrolet -- it's the heartbeat of America; and education is like American Express -- don't leave home without it," he said.

COOGS DRILL ERROR-PRONE 'TOPPERS

by Patti Warner

William Shakespeare would be rolling in his grave if he knew how the Cougar baseball team's opponents rewrote his Comedy of Errors play this weekend.

Houston improved to 6-0 with a 12-4 victory over St. Edward's (0-1) Sunday and a doubleheader sweep of Stephen F. Austin (0-2) Saturday.

Senior right hander Jeff Wright (1-0) started for the Cougars Sunday against the St. Edward's Hilltoppers, lasting five innings and giving up two hits and two runs with three strikeouts.

St. Edward's right fielder Ben Garza and first baseman Jason George tagged Wright for two solo home runs in the second inning.

"I was OK until the second inning," Wright said. "On the two homeruns, I matched their bat speed. I threw a change-up when I should have thrown a fastball."

Hilltopper starter Andy Mueller (0-1) was responsible for all 12 Cougar runs in 3 1/3 innings. Mueller gave up 10 hits, struck out four and walked five.

The Cougars scored early in the second inning. After right fielder Shane Buteaux led off with a double, and designated hitter Billy Waid got on base due to an error, third baseman Ricky Freeman walked to load the bases.

Shortstop Pat Cauley stepped up and cleared the bases with one swing as he doubled off the left field wall.

Houston added four runs in the third inning when the Hilltoppers committed three of their five errors.

Houston added insult to injury in the fourth with RBI singles by Buteaux, Waid and Cauley, and Freeman added a two-run double to the five-run onslaught.

Buteaux led Cougar hitters with a 3-for-3 day and two RBIs. Cauley finished the day with five RBIs.

Sunday featured five Cougar hurlers, and Saturday's twin bill saw five different Houston pitchers hit the mound.

"Our younger guys need to get the practice," Cougar coach Bragg Stockton said. "They need appearances like this, where they come in for an inning or so to get them ready for conference (games)."

Saturday's doubleheader was more of the same as SFA players committed nine errors on the day. Senior Wade Williams (1-0) pitched five innings for the victory in the night-cap. Junior Brian Hamilton (1-0) received the victory in relief of starter Matt Beech in the first game, and freshman Jeremy Tyson picked up his second save.

TCU EXTENDS COUGARS' FOUR-GAME LOSING SKID

Houston's basketball squad showed that goodwill can exist between opposing teams Saturday.

The Cougars (11-6 [4-4]) lost a heartbreaker to Texas Christian (5-13 [2-5]), 68-66, at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum in Fort Worth. Houston gift-wrapped the game with a miserable 15-of-29 shooting from the free-throw line.

With the score tied 66-66, Horned Frogs forward Eric Daily scored a jumper in the lane with three seconds left off a feed from guard Brent Atwater, who finished with 11 assists, to give TCU a two-point lead.

Houston called time out with 0.5 seconds remaining but failed to convert a length-of-the-court lob from forward David Diaz.

Houston center Charles "Bo" Outlaw hit only 6-of-15 from the charity stripe, but he did register 22 points, seven rebounds and three assists.

"We're in a deep slump," said Diaz, who finished with 19 points and all three of Houston's three-point goals. "There's got to be a reason for it."

The free-throw shooting has been a major factor.

During the Cougars' four game skid, Houston's foul shooting was a combined 46-of-77 for 59.7 percent, including 7-of-14 in the loss to Rice.

This is the first time Houston has lost four straight since the 1984-85 season under then-coach Guy Lewis. The Cougars lost to Texas A&M and Southern Methodist on the road before losing to TCU and Illinois at home.

This is also the first time the Cougars have lost four consecutive games under coach Foster.

The Cougars travel to Reno, Nev., today to play the Nevada-Reno Wolf Pack.

RUGBY SQUAD GLIDES BY SMU

by Robert Arnold

The UH Rugby Team increased its record to 5-2 Sunday with a win by forfeit over Southern Methodist, leaving the team in third place in its division.

Coach Mark Speer said SMU, 0-7, forfeited because many of its players were injured.

In Saturday's SMU-Rice game, the referee called the game after Rice was leading 54-0.

This is UH's first winning season since its formation in 1981. Robert Sharabba, the team's president, attributes part of the team's success to Speer.

"Coach Speer has really helped improve our forwards, which makes for a more cohesive team," he said.

Sharabba said this has given the team a big advantage since forwards work on winning the ball and getting to the backs.

Speer gives all the credit to his players. "Personal pride has really taken the team far," he said.

Speer said his coaching technique trains his players to play all positions. Speer also coaches his players to play instinctively and to avoid injury.

"We have not had one injury all year," Speer said.

He said his players are in excellent physical shape because of practices that include running up to 50 miles every week.

The team, which consists of 30 players, is led by Lee Dillard. "I feel we have the best team in the West, and we are getting even better," Dillard said.

The team is heading out on the road to the Galveston Mardi Gras Tournament on Feb. 13 and 14. They will then play a series of three road games against Texas A&M on Feb. 27, Texas on March 6 and Sam Houston State on March 20.

If the team wins two of its remaining games, Houston will play in the Collegiate Western Finals.