MORE BLACK FACULTY SOUGHT

by Mindi King

A unified campus commitment to diversity and an aggressive approach to recruiting African-American faculty members are the keys to increasing the number of African-American rank faculty members at UH, said Grace Butler, associate vice president for faculty affairs.

There are 28 African-American rank faculty members out of 933 rank faculty at UH, she said.

Rank faculty include both tenured and tenure-track instructors, she said. Of the 28, 18 are male and 10 are female.

"As we look at where we are as a diversified campus, we have not reached our determined goal," Butler said. "Everyone must put their shoulder to the wheel to move UH toward achieving that goal."

The Minority Faculty Recruitment Incentive Program, created in 1985, provided funding for the recruitment and hiring of African-American and Mexican-American faculty, she said.

Although the incentive program expired in 1990, state agencies, including UH, are continuing the initiative on a voluntary basis, Butler said.

Funding for the incentive program is available, but there is a need to work harder to utilize the program and to hire African-Americans regardless of a program, she said.

"We are not talking about filling a quota," Butler said. "Everyone benefits by having the opportunity to gain from a richer campus environment."

Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs, said increased diversification begins with the college deans, who are responsible for hiring faculty.

The low number of African-American rank faculty, when compared to all other rank faculty, raises the question of whether the standards for hiring African-Americans are the same across the board, he said.

"You shouldn't have to be Michael Jordan to play basketball," Lee said. "If every college in the country waits for the most outstanding African-American graduates, very few will be hired."

Butler said raising the number of African-Americans qualified to fill teaching positions at the university level is also fundamental to diversification.

Increasing this number begins in the classroom at the undergraduate level, she said, and continues by providing graduate fellowships and increased funding for the recruitment and hiring of African-Americans.

Louis Williams, director of Minority Affairs, said the focus of each college should be to recruit and maintain students at the undergraduate level with the hope that students will continue at the graduate level.

Williams, an associate professor of medical chemistry and pharmacology, began teaching at UH in 1974. He was the first African-American faculty member hired in his college and remains the only tenured African-American in his department, he said.

"I think the administration has made diversification a part of the mission of UH," said Williams, adding that he "sincerely hopes" UH proves diversity is one of its primary commitments within the next five years.

Morris Graves, associate director for African-American Studies, said UH must be more aggressive when seeking African-American professors. He said the university should be committed to providing the required resources for tenure-track faculty.

"I want UH to recognize that (UH) President (James) Pickering is truly committed to diversity on the campus in all facets," Graves said. "However, I am not convinced that all of his Cabinet members are as committed."

College deans and department chairs also need to be more receptive to the idea of diversification, Graves said. Areas such as education, history and English should be commended for trying to tenure African-American professors, he said, but many colleges "leave much to be desired."

Janis Hutchinson, associate professor of anthropology and the only tenured African-American in the Anthropology Department, said individual colleges need a formal program to ensure the utilization of the funding set aside for recruiting African-American professors, and also a retention policy to keep them here.

"The question you have to ask is, 'Are we really committed to diversity?,' " Hutchinson added. "Are the available funds being accessed as extensively as they could be?"

A commitment to diversity on all levels, she said, and an equal commitment to action would enhance the recruitment process, resulting in a more stimulating and fulfilling campus for everyone.

Gene Latting, a professor in the Graduate School of Social Work, said once an African-American professor is hired by UH, more needs to be done to orient the professor and make available the resources needed to become tenured. Latting came to UH in 1979 as a professor of Social Work and was tenured in 1988.

A faculty development program that focuses on the orientation of new faculty has the primary goal of helping new faculty members identify and find the resources available to them, said Butler, who began the program.

However, because of the low number of African-American rank faculty at UH, more needs to be done, she added.

"One cannot afford to have a negative attitude," Butler said. "There will always be areas needing work, but I am positive in the potential this university possesses to go places, especially in the area of diversification."

*******************************************************

HOUSTON NEEDS TO CHANGE COURSE

<i>Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.<p>

With these directions in hand, the Houston Cougars are headed for the Never Never Land of post-season play: their sofas.

Granted, our hardwood heroes are still in the hunt for the regular-season title, but they're still not 100 percent healthy. They may not even be 80 percent healthy.

Point guard Anthony Goldwire is still recovering from the flu bug. Derrick Smith and Jesse Drain are trying to recover from the shooting bug.

Where's Tinkerbell when you need her?

With a 4-4 Southwest Conference record, Houston is in sole possession of fourth place with five conference games remaining. They are three games behind first-place Southern Methodist, 7-1.

"We've got to do the best we can to snap out of it," a concerned coach Pat Foster said. "We haven't held up very well. We let the first loss, then the second loss bother us, and it just mushroomed."

By hook or by crook, the Cougars need to turn around and begin curbing the damage done by their recent four-game slide.

They have one more warm-up game Wednesday with Cal State-Fullerton after Monday's victory over Nevada-Reno before returning to conference play Saturday to face Texas Tech at Hofheinz.

"Maybe that could work out to be a plus," Foster said. "They've shown a good spirit in practice. It's not that they're not trying hard."

But what is it going to take to win a surprisingly tough SWC race in which the underdogs are now the leaders? Fairy dust? Imagination?

How about a healthy Goldwire to return the Cougars to the up-tempo running style of play they're used to? You bet. Without Anthony's speed at full power, Houston has fallen into the no-no offense of ball-control.

Texas Christian used the slower pace to its advantage in keeping Houston under 70 points for the third consecutive game.

"There are just some mental problems we have," Foster said. "It's easy to get down and not as easy to get up."

Waking up would be a better term.

Coach Foster, who owns a career .676 winning percentage, recognizes the symptoms, but the solution is as elusive to him as finding a cure for cancer.

A flame. A spark. A fire in the belly. The Cougars must do whatever it takes to attain a higher level of competitiveness. March Madness is just a month away.

Center Charles Outlaw needs his teammates to become prime-time players. He can't carry the load himself.

David Diaz contributed 19 points in the loss to TCU, but he must duplicate that feat consistently, something he hasn't done in recent games.

And if all else fails, just think happy thoughts. It may not help the Cougars win, but flying is not so bad once you get the hang of it.

Right, Tink? Tink?

SA SENATOR'S BILL PROPOSES TO END CABINET SALARIES

As UH looks at reshaping its administration and academic departments, Students' Association Senator Shane Patrick Boyle introduced a bill at Monday night's SA meeting asking SA Cabinet members to do the same by forfeiting their salaries.

According to SA Bill 29013, SA spends over $30,000 in salary expenses, money taken out of student fees.

Boyle's legislation asked that the SA president, vice president, speaker of the senate, student regent and all presidential appointees not get compensation for their duties because only 10 percent of UH students vote in SA elections, and "the other 90 percent are apparently not interested."

"I am senator, so I am not paid, but if I get elected president, I am willing to give up my compensation," said Boyle, a senator from the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

"Student fees would stay the same, but it would free up $30,000. Every student-fee unit is having problems right now," he said.

29006 will be reviewed by the internal affairs committee.

Other business covered at the meeting was the appointment of a chief election commissioner.

The position was given to Ron Capehart, who will be in charge of hiring poll workers and handling any election complaints. The position was designed to prevent election fraud.

Cipriano Romero's bill, 29010, which sets aside a specific time in the agenda for students to express their interests and petition their government, was another order of business.

The bill was passed, but amended to limit student participation to five minutes. The original SA constitution only allowed a student to speak if the floor was yielded to that student.

ALL STUDENTS CAN LEARN FROM BLACK HISTORY

by Katherine Bui

Since February is Black History Month, much attention remains focused on the African- American Studies Program.

AAS offers a variety of classes and activities in African- American culture, history, religion and art to UH students and people in the surrounding communities. Linda Reed, an associate professor of history and director of the program, said AAS is designed to educate the public about cultural diversity and to recognize the extent of African-American achievements.

On Feb. 16, from 1 - 3 p.m., the organization will bring Ivan Van Sertima, a noted anthropologist and political science professor, to speak on campus. Sertima is the author of <i>They Came Before Columbus: The African American Presence in Ancient America<p>.

The AAS Book Club, which meets every Friday from noon-1:30 p.m., will sponsor a special discussion of Asata Shakur's novel, <i>The Autobiography of Revolutionary Leaders in 1960-1980<p>.

A pamphlet issued by AAS in November reported that student enrollment in the program had increased by more than 1,500.

Certain history and cultural heritage credits can be substituted with AAS classes. These classes are not required in the undergraduate curriculum, but several African American students said they hope at least one AAS class will be admitted as a requirement.

"Many of the students who take AAS classes gain more knowledge and appreciation for different cultures. Although the classes are open to all UH students, the majority who sign up major in humanities and fine arts, social science and business," Reed said.

Those majors require an understanding and interaction with different people, she added.

Ron Peters, a junior industrial distribution major, said, "I took African-American History as a substitute for one of my history requirements, but ended up learning about things in my culture that I've never heard of in other history classes.

"I think that understanding the different aspects of history will hopefully prevent the repetition of prejudices and segregation," he said.

Terri McBrewer, a freshman political science major, said, "If I have to spend 17 years learning about white history, then it wouldn't hurt others to take one class in black history."

Patricia Houston, a junior electrical engineering major, said, "I've taken an Introduction to African-American Studies class and found that other history classes have left out so much information.

"The class that I've taken provided me with a better understanding of society and different approaches to situations. It's more than black history and culture. It's a way to open eyes and strike against the difference in skin color," she said.

"Every day we get calls from people in the community and other universities who ask about the program. The impact of AAS on African-American awareness is impossible to measure," Reed said.

BLACK PROFESSOR A ROLE MODEL

by Donna Gower

Elizabeth Brown-Guillory, associate professor of English, is a symbol of success for the African-America woman.

Her office is decorated with photos of her husband, daughter and pictures of African women. Her shelves are filled with books about minority literature, as well as classics like Huckleberry Finn. From this office, she runs the Houston Suitcase Theater.

Brown-Guillory said the group of about 70 students is all about "creating space for students interested in art and minority literature." Last spring, the group performed one of her plays, <i>Just a Little Mark<p>, which opened to an audience of 700 people at Cullen Performance Hall.

Currently, THST is holding the Ethnic Minority Playwriting Competition. The entries are limited to one-act plays and each must be less than 20 pages long. THST will do staged readings of the top three in its Ethnic Minority Playwriting Festival. The entry deadline is Feb. 25.

Brown-Guillory has much in store for the group during Black History Month. On Feb. 21, the group will have a "Soul Food Dinner" and will follow that up by seeing <i>Spunk<p> at The Ensemble, Houston's oldest black theater.

THST is also kicking off a fund-raiser in February to raise $1500 for the group.

The Ethnic Minority Festival will be April 27-29. The keynote speaker is Denise Chavez, a Chicano playwright and novelist.

In addition to the Houston Suitcase Theater, Brown-Guillory has other projects in the works. She is going to Kentucky to give a series of lectures on revising the literary canons of U.S. universities and including more multicultural perspectives.

Brown-Guillory is also working on a book called <i>Women of Color: Mother-Daughter Relationships in 20th-Century Literature<p>. She has written two other books: <i>Wines in the Wilderness: Plays by African-American Women from the Harlem Renaissance to the Present<p> (1990) and <i>Their Place on the Stage: Black Women Playwrights in America<p> (1988).

Although Brown-Guillory is not a professor in the Honors College, sections she teaches are regularly listed in the honors course book. These courses are added on the basis of the instructor and the course subject, according to William Monroe of the Honors College.

The college has a process of identifying outstanding professors who are teaching courses dealing with subject matter they try to encourage honors students to take, Monroe said. Brown-Guillory's African-American Literature classes are often on the list.

"She's known to be an outstanding teacher," Monroe added.

For more information on the Ethnic Minority Playwriting Competition or on the Houston Suitcase Theater, please contact Brown-Guillory at 743-3029.

ASST. VP TAKES SHSU POSITION

UH alumna leaves legacy of innovations

by Rhonda Compton

After 16 years as UH assistant vice president of student affairs, Thelma Douglas is resigning and accepting a position at Sam Houston State University.

"I am leaving the university for the opportunity of upward mobility and to share a knowledge of campus insight, ideas and programs," she said.

She said things will run smoothly after she leaves. "The university has a staff that will keep programs running," she said.

On Feb. 22, Douglas will become associate vice president and dean of student services at SHSU.

Her new job will require and cover student counselling, student testing, the campus police department, legal department, university center, career planning and the health center.

Douglas was chosen from more than 250 applicants for the opening, which was brought to her attention by SHSU Vice President Elvin Lee.

She received her undergraduate degree in political science from UH in 1976, then remained at UH to earn her master's and doctorate in curriculum and construction in 1977 and 1992.

"The school means a lot to me. My heart will always be here," Douglas said.

She has implemented programs such as the Excell program, which assists students in academic studies, and the Ombudservice, which helps students cut through red tape with referrals to one of 260 problem-solvers.

As a resident advisor (RA) in the UH residence halls, she had the honor of having an award created in her name. The Thelma Douglas Outstanding Student Leader Award is presented to "a dynamic, fantastic student who is chosen by a committee. Last year's award was presented to Jerry Alwais, president of the Residence Halls Association," Douglas said.

Personal achievements include being named the 1992 Houston Young Black Achiever, 1988 National Hallenbeck Award, 1987 Mita Award for Regional advisor and 1987 State Overall Advisor.

UH Secretary Lynne Mink, who has worked with Douglas for two years, said, "I hate to see her go. She is a very happy person who would take on anything, good or bad, and get it done."

To fill her position, Dean of Students William Munson said, "We will renew the position in relation to UH reshaping. There is no deadline to find someone to fill her position, and we have not found anyone yet. I hope to find someone who is as high-caliber as Dr. Douglas."

Concerning UH, Douglas quoted the book <i>One Minute Manager<p> and said, "The best investment is the investment in people." She added, "I have mixed emotions about leaving. I miss working with others, but I will go with joy."

STUDENTS GET INVOLVED IN CELEBRATION OF HISTORY

by Connie Barrera

The celebration of Black History Month will involve approximately 100 to 500 students from the African-American Studies Program and the Black Student Union, said Dena Fontno, a public relations intern in the African-American Studies Program.

Ann-Elise McCutcheon, vice-president of the BSU, said, " 'A Push for Unity' is the theme of the month. History should not be limited to only one month."

African Americans should take it upon themselves to learn about their culture and history to fully understand those who have paved the way for them, she added. "They (our ancestors) were ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances."

The celebration of African- American heritage is appropriate, as approximately 4,000 African Americans are enrolled at UH, Fontno said.

Students will be celebrating Black History Month in different ways since its meaning differs among various students.

Freshman Angela Marvley said, "We need this month to make others aware, to remember the oppression. I get aggressive during African-American History Month remembering everything that went on."

According to freshman Chandra Leviege, Black History Month is "very important - now more than ever. History books serve as role models. They serve as an awareness on the lives of past people. Black people must be aware of their history and grasp on to role models more than just one month a year."

Junior Cristi Rangel reads about her heritage every day. "One month doesn't mean anything. I celebrate my history every day by being myself."

The UH African-American Studies Program has a variety of events and programs planned to commemorate African Americans in history.

Events include a ceremony celebrating the official opening of Black History Month; a lecture by Ivan Van Sertima, anthropologist and literary critic; a presentation on the life of Malcolm X, human rights activist; and a lecture by singer Sister Souljah.

For times, dates and locations, contact the BSU at 743-5195 or the African-American Studies Program at 743-2811.

Kimberly Agnew, activities advisor for the Council of Ethnic Organizations, said she is "excited about the enthusiasm from students at UH and from the African- American community."

Fontno said, "We want to thank African Americans who came before us and inform people that we are proud of who we are and of what they (our forefathers) have contributed."

BLACK HERITAGE HONORED

by Margarita Rosado

Students have been celebrating Black History Month in dissimilar ways.

"Black History Month is an opportunity to celebrate our black culture and to educate others about our heritage," BSU president Mary Francis said.

African Americans have a rich culture which should be celebrated throughout the year, said Kim Agnew, UH Campus Activities advisor.

Although many African- Americans say black history should be recognized year-round and not simply in February, students still made an extra effort this month to bring the heritage to the UH campus.

"It is important that as many African-American students become involved as possible throughout the entire year. African-American history does not even get half the coverage it should," Agnew said.

BSU provided a series of "<i>Martin<p> nights" to provide a reflection of black culture to all students, Francis said.

<i>Martin<p> night was an event where students come together to watch the television show <i>Martin<p> and use the time afterward as a social gathering.

The Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority had a more lavish celebration through a salute to "The Black Woman" last Thursday.

The salute included singing and performances recognizing the African-American woman.

Despite all the campus events this month, African-American students continue to share a common complaint.

"February is the only time we are exposed to powerful messages from our black leaders and educational movies like <i>Roots<p>. What about the rest of the year?" asked junior psychology major Pamela Bobo.

COUNSELING PROGRAM ATTACKS LOW BLACK-RETENTION RATES

by Tammy Gamble

To combat a low retention rate among black students, the African-American Studies Program has enacted the AAS CONNECTion program to encourage black students to seek help, said Veronica Ferguson, recruitment and retention specialist for the program.

"We have developed an academic program to meet each black student's individual needs with a support system and in tutorials," she said.

The AAS CONNECTion program joins students with the appropriate department or faculty member to help them with problems or answer questions.

A 1986 study released by the UH Office of Planning and Policy Analysis revealed a 40 percent suspension rate among black students after their fourth year of enrollment.

This is more than double the suspension rate of Hispanic, Asian or Anglo students. Ferguson relates the high suspension rate to students' lack of college preparation.

"Although the statistics are six years old, I believe they have not changed much," Ferguson said.

African-American Studies tries to reach students through programs such as the Book Club, tutorials and special Black History Month activities, but many minority students are hesitant to join, she said.

Morris Graves, associate director of the African-American Studies program, attributes the low retention rate of blacks to "our hostile environment and to the faculty not being sensitive to African-American students. "Black students feel they have to prove themselves worthy of attending college, while other students are assumed worthy," he said.

In order to reach black students, faculty members need to learn a different style of teaching them, he said.

"Studies have shown that black students learn better in small groups instead of in a traditional lecture class," Graves said.

Other statistics in the study revealed that after the fourth year of enrollment, only 8 percent of black students had graduated and 34 percent were no longer enrolled.

Graves said the programs offered through the African-American Studies program teach students learning skills they can use in their classes.

The response of Rosalyn Forch, a sophomore dance education major, was typical of students who were asked why the black retention rate was low.

"Many black students do not have the inner drive needed to succeed in college. Organizations such as the Black Students' Association, the Good News Gospel Choir and the mentor program are trying to be visible so students will seek out help," Forch said.

Michael Spriggs, a senior marketing major, said students get discouraged and feel they "are just part of the system. If you don't believe the end justifies the means, then you will not succeed," Spriggs said.

Many black students are beginning to feel they have a chance at succeeding in college and in the job market, he said.

Damita Phillips, a senior political science major, said a lack of priorities has a great deal to do with the low retention rate. "Personal situations, such as financial and family problems, affect a student's performance in school," Phillips said.

Phillips has been suspended before because her grades fell when she tried to balance a full-time job and a full course load. However, she came back to school after deciding to "set her mind to it."

"In college, no one is there to look after you. You have to make an individual decision to work hard and to get help if you need it," Phillips said.

The African-American Studies Program also emphasizes that students can receive a minor in African American Studies, and plans are underway to make a major available, Ferguson said.

COUGARS HUNT DOWN WOLF PACK, 92-80

When Houston needed a desperate win, center Charles "Bo" Outlaw decided to take 22 minutes off his playing time.

Houston, though, hit 8-of-10 free-throws down the stretch to break its four-game losing streak and defeat Nevada-Reno 92-80 at Lawlor Events Center in Reno, Nev.

Outlaw, the Cougars' leading scorer and rebounder, fouled out with just under four minutes to play and Houston up by 13, 78-65.

For the game, Outlaw logged a total of 18 minutes, four points and three rebounds, picking up his fourth foul :36 into the second half.

His teammates didn't mind giving Outlaw a vacation from the game as guard David Diaz struck a deadly blow to the Wolf Pack, matching his career-high with 28 points, including 4-of-7 from three-point range.

"Diaz had a big first half," head coach Pat Foster said. "I thought that Derrick Smith and Jessie Drain really picked it up when Outlaw fouled out of the game."

Houston led by as much as 16 with 10:20 left to play before Nevada guard Rod Brown began a one-man comeback.

He hit three consecutive treys to bring the Wolf Pack to within seven at 68-61. But Anthony Goldwire, 20 points and five assists, and Rafael Carrasco, seven points and six rebounds, scored much-needed lay-ups. Drain hit a three-pointer to ease the score back to 75-61 with 5:30 remaining.

Diaz, coming off a 19-point effort against TCU Saturday, took control in the first half, scoring 21 points to give the Cougars a 49-37 lead going into the half.

Earlier, Houston took a 26-21 lead when Diaz hit a foul shot to complete a three-point play.

After Carrasco sank two field goals, Drain nailed a baseline jumper, stole the ball on the Wolf Pack's inbounds pass and lobbed to Goldwire, who slammed it home for a 36-27 lead.

Nevada pushed the score to 39-33 on two free-throws, but Diaz scored five points during Houston's 10-4 run to close out the half.

"This was a big win for us," Foster said. "We had to have one any way we could get it."

YOUNG COOGS LOOK TO CENTER FIELDER FOR LEADERSHIP

by Patti Warner

He roams the outfield like he was born there. Day in and day out, 21-year-old Phil Lewis gets into a zone.

He zeroes in on the batter --every batter -- then he's off with the crack of the bat.

The batter races around the bases thinking he has a sure base hit, maybe even a double. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Lewis comes streaking through the sunlight and makes the play easily.

So much for the hit.

At the plate, he is in a different zone, but a zone with the same kind of intensity.

He gets inside the pitcher's head and knows what's coming next. He uses his mind-reading ability to spray base hits all over the field and the conference.

No pitcher is immune.

"He is so intense," Cougars' coach Bragg Stockton said of his all-everything center fielder. "He is very committed to the game."

Lewis is one of eight seniors on the Houston squad, and he knows he will be counted on to lead the team.

Most people his age would buckle under that kind of pressure. Luckily for the Cougars, Lewis is hardly most people.

"There is a little bit of added pressure, but I try not to think about that," the Houston native said. "I'm going to try to worry about the team and hopefully we can win."

Lewis set personal goals for himself this season, but make no mistake, they are hardly selfish.

"I want to help the team win. I want to go to a regional, and I want to go to the College World Series," he said. "I would also like to lead the conference in hitting if I can."

Lewis hit .347 in 1992, fourth in the conference. He also finished in the top 10 in four other offensive categories.

Like most college baseball players, Lewis has put his future in the hands of Major League Baseball, but not without something to fall back on.

"I won't graduate this year, but probably soon with a computer science degree," he said. "Then maybe go into aviation.

"But hopefully, I'll still be playing baseball."

National League scouts said Lewis must remain consistent to be considered this year.

"He is definitely one of the guys we are looking at," a scout said. "He has to make the plays when needed this year."

Although his dream would be to one day roam the outfield at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Lewis said he has no preference for which team takes him in June.

"It makes no difference to me," he said. "I just want to play."

To pick out a favorite player, Lewis points to fellow center fielder Steve Finley of the Astros, but he says he doesn't pattern himself after anyone.

Lewis admits he is hardly immune when it comes to baseball flaws.

"My worst quality, as far as baseball goes, is probably throwing people out," he said. "But I've been working on it, and it has improved over the years."

Stockton said he does not expect Lewis to react any differently this year than he has in the past.

"He likes that stuff (pressure)," Stockton said. "He doesn't want to be on the outside of the candy store looking in.

"He wants to be in there."

Lewis credits former Houston first baseman Greyson Liles in guiding him through the rough times last year when the team finished a miserable 25-28.

"He helped me a lot with my hitting and told me some stuff that he learned over the years," Lewis said. "He's been coming back this year and helping me some more.

"He is the person that has helped me the most."

Stockton said Lewis now serves as a mentor for the younger players. With 12 underclassmen on the team, Lewis has his hands full.

"He's a good example," Stockton said. "He is always ready to play."

SA LIMITS PARTIES TO ONE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE EACH

RAP PARTY SPLITS UP AFTER ALL MEMBERS SEEK TOP POSITION

by David Sikes

Chief Election Commissioner Ron Capehart handed down the first official ruling concerning the Students' Association elections.

Because two candidates were running for the same office on the same ticket, Capehart amended the election code Friday, making this practice illegal.

Shane Patrick Boyle was ordered to file an amendment to his application before Feb. 10 to comply with the order. He and Michael Andrew Sandlin were both seeking the presidency through the Radical Action Party (RAP), which Boyle founded.

The party allowed any members to run for SA president.

The ruling states that the candidate who files first is given the option of staying with the original party and position. The other candidates must change either their party affiliation or the office they seek.

In this case, Sandlin filed first, so Boyle will still run for president, but instead under the Revolutionary Activist Party (also RAP), which Boyle also founded. Sandlin will continue to run under the Radical Action Party.

"I imagine we will have the same platforms," Sandlin said. "I had no idea they (election commission) would take it so seriously. I'm not," he added, referring to the entire election.

Sandlin said he filed on a whim and isn't that interested in winning since he's graduating this summer.

Another presidential candidate, Crosby King, named his party the Radioactive Airplane Parts (also RAP). In recognition of Black History Month, King's platform is made of ebony, he said.

"If they want to poke fun at the system, it's OK with me. It doesn't make our job any harder," Capehart said.

Besides these candidates, one other student has filed. Justin B. McMurtry, a music composition major, is running for SA senate position one in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts. He is running as an independent. Deadline for filing is 5 p.m. Wednesday.

PROFESSOR SHOT

Pharmacy Professor William McCormick was shot Monday afternoon and admitted to Ben Taub's intensive care unit. Doctors listed him in stable condition at press time.

A university source said McCormick was shot in the head while in the College of Pharmacy's parking lot, located in the Texas Medical Center.

Hospital administrators said McCormick was shot but refused to give details pending further investigation. Houston Police Department spokesman Robert Hurst would not comment on the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

McCormick came to UH from the University of Florida, where he served as pharmacy department chair. He served as UH's dean of the College of Pharmacy from 1987 to 1992, when he left that position to teach.

One of McCormick's major accomplishments as dean was to bring in a six-figure grant from the Texas Department of Corrections last year. The grant was for the school's help in revamping TDC's pharmacy services for prisoners.

STUDENT-REGENT VOTE SOLICITED

Texas Senate Bill 254, requesting an advising student regent, was filed Thursday, just days before UH student-regent Mitch Rhodes told members of the Texas Students' Association about the importance of student input on university governing boards. He addressed the group Saturday.

Senator Jim Turner (D-District 5), sponsor of Bill 254, said, "Families spend millions each year on tuition. The universities of this state exist for the benefit of our students, and input is essential to the decision-making process."

UH is the only school in Texas with a student regent. The position was attained three years ago by legislation passed through UH's Students' Association and approved by late UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett.

TSA made the issue a high priority because university regents boards make critical decisions about faculty, student life and education. Other decisions involve land purchases, faculty pay raises and curricula.

"Degree plans and curricula are decided upon by the regents board and then passed on for approval by the Higher Education Coordinating Board, but most times, if it is approved by the regents, it is approved by the coordinating board too," Rhodes said.

The bill is being backed up by House bills 94 and 95, sponsored by Representative Sherri Greenberg (Austin). Bill 94 asks for a voting regent, while 254 and 95 ask for an advisory position. UH's regent cannot participate in sessions unless a request is filed 10 days before the actual regents board meeting.

"One of the reasons the bill has not been passed before is that students have asked for more power than anyone can give them. Only the governor can appoint a voting regent," Rhodes said.

While 43 other states have advisory student regents, legislation has been filed in Texas and denied repeatedly for the past 30 years.

One problem the bill faces is the fear that the regents process will become large and bureaucratic.

"We are for a student regent, but it would only be fair to have faculty representation as well. We stand for a voting student regent and faculty regent," said Mike Fowler, executive director of the Texas Association of College Teachers.

TSA will keep pushing to get the legislation passed. Letter-writing drives will take place on every campus involved with the organization.