ALUMNI BUILDS BRIDGE TO UNIVERSITY

by Rhonda Compton

For many students, graduating means losing university ties. One organization, the Cougar Connection, is out to pull UH alumni back together.

Nancy Clark, UH director of Donor Relations, said, "Students are our product, not buildings or curricula. They have gone out and done well. They have gone on to build successful foundations in the community with top notch positions."

Founded in 1990 by UH graduate Brian Teykl (class of '86), the Cougar Connection is designed to "build camaraderie, friendships and business relations," he said.

The weekly meeting centers around a guest speaker, which have included deans and professors from UH and prominent business leaders, many of whom being UH alumni.

One of the speakers, Gene McDavid (class of '66), president of the Houston Chronicle, said, "I like the group. They are like ambassadors for the school and are enthusiastic. The meetings feed this enthusiasm; it is impressive."

"This organization consists of mentors who could be helpful to your job future," Clark added.

This group meets every Wednesday at 7:15 a.m. at the Marriott Hotel - West Loop. Membership is free. For more information, call Bob Jones at 623-7005.

*******************************************************

BUDGET WOES CREATING TUITION-HIKE SCENARIO FEDERAL FUNDS ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE

by Deborah Hensel

AUSTIN -- Students are voicing their concerns that cuts in appropriations for higher education might be offset by tuition increases.

While in Austin Saturday, during the Texas Students' Association (TSA) conference, TSA Legislative Director Sherry Boyles of UT said the state is looking at two options.

It will either raise tuition to pump funds back into financial aid for low-income students, or keep tuition accessible to all students and rely more heavily on scholarships and government aid.

"Even if they (legislators) tell us they aren't going to raise tuition this session," Boyles said, "you never know -- they may raise it in November, December or as early as April. We just have to be prepared."

Kevin Jefferies, UH's Students' Association director of external affairs, told the group: "Tuition is on the table at UH. The reason is because we have an access-vs.-quality problem at UH.

"We don't have the funds to do everything the university wishes to do for all the students who demand our services," he said.

"We're going through restructuring exercises now to compensate for the money we've been losing steadily since 1984," he added.

"After adjustments for inflation, UH has lost 18 percent since 1984. We've already trimmed to the bone, and now we're amputating departments," Jefferies said. "This is going to disadvantage students."

Jefferies laid out several questions relating to tuition, such as setting policy, the question of whether it should be set by the state or the Board of Regents.

He also asked if there should be variances in tuition between colleges.

"An English degree is cheaper than an engineering degree," he said. "Should engineers pay a little bit more?

"We realize a quality education is something that doesn't come free," Jefferies said. "The days of $4 tuition are over -- they're not coming back," he said.

"As consumers, we need the most value for the buck," he said, adding that there is a need for a creative solution that will work well for the state and students.

Blair Taylor, a doctoral candidate in molecular pharmacology at UT Health Science Center in San Antonio, said she supported Jefferies' remarks.

"I remember the days of $4 tuition," she said, "and I've been in school long enough to see my tuition increase by almost 400 percent."

"The point is that it still is -- regardless of how much we're paying in minor increases -- a deal," Taylor said.

Jefferies pointed out that at $8,000 per semester, Rice University is still touted as the best value in higher education in the country by <i>Money<p> magazine.

"They're paying half the cost of their education," he said. "We're paying 15 percent of the cost of our education. Do you want to go out on the job market and compete with a Rice graduate?"

Jefferies urged the group to think about long-term issues related to tuition.

"Sure it would be nice to save $120 a semester," he said, "but what's that going to do to the quality of your education?"

BOARD APPROVES NEW SCHOOL OF MUSIC BUILDING

by Heather Morgan

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board gave the green light to a new multi-million dollar fine arts and music building.

THECB stamped its approval on the $18.5 million facility Jan. 21-22, said Harry Montgomery, a member of UH Campus Planning for THECB.

The board's job is to make sure money is available before a proposed building is approved, Montgomery said. The 132,000 square-foot facility was made possible because of a $10.2 million donation from UH alumni John and Rebecca Moores and revenue-bond proceeds, he added.

David J. Tomatz, the director of the School of Music, said the new building is an "extraordinary, wonderful happening that's going to help us blossom."

The current Fine Arts Building will still serve as a facility for the School of Music. The school will continue to use Dudley Recital Hall and the Organ Recital Hall.

The new building will be located on the corner of Elgin Street and Entrance 16, Tomatz said. It will probably consist of three levels, he added.

The new building's acoustics will be designed for opera, symphony and solo performances. It will also house an 800-seat concert hall, he added.

The current Fine Arts Building was built in the early 1970s, but "some real cost-cutting went on," Tomatz said. The building measures only 37,000 square feet, but as the number of students majoring in music increased each year, there was a strong need for a new building, he added.

When he came to UH in 1984, about 310 students were music majors. Last fall, the School of Music had 475 majors, he said.

The university has made good-faith efforts to help the school, but for years, it had needed to build a new facility, Tomatz said.

Dudley Recital Hall cannot be used for opera and symphony performances, so the school was forced to use Cullen Performance Hall, which is shared with other departments, he added.

The current building lacks performance space, has small practice rooms, has no opera rehearsal room and lacks appropriate housing for band storage, Tomatz said.

The School of Music has three productions annually and must look for venues off-campus, he said.

Marsha Thompson, a sophomore music major, said the "practice rooms are really worn out," and the building leaks.

Music students also faced the problem of Cullen Performance Hall being overbooked, Thompson said. With a new building in the works, "the morale and the overall attitude of the students is a lot healthier," she said.

Tomatz said the School of Music is an important program nationally. The new building will attract more music students in the future, and it will be great not only for students, but also for Houston, he added.

UH was one of the first schools to offer degrees in music. The graduate program has grown, and a doctorate program was recently approved, he said.

Tomatz, who was included in establishing the new Fine Arts Center at the University of Wyoming and the renovation of UH's Cullen Performance Hall, said when the design for the new building is finished, in nine to 11 months, the construction project will be up for commercial bids.

Montgomery said the estimated date for construction is set for April 1994. Project coordinators and analysts from the Gerald Hines Co. have been hired, he added. Specialists, such as an acoustics engineer and a theater consultant, will also be hired, Tomatz said.

The new facility's completion date is set for April 1996, Montgomery said.

However, Tomatz said January 1996 will be "targeted."

"Music can serve as a window in a way that other academics cannot," he added.

UH FINALLY OFFERS SOCIAL WORK MAJORS A DOCTORAL PROGRAM PROGRAM TO FOCUSON EFFECTS OF HEALTH CENTERS

by Karla S. Mishak Lee

The Graduate School of Social Work will offer a doctoral degree with an emphasis on research in clinical practice beginning in the fall semester.

Patrick Leung, director of the UH Social Work Doctoral Program, said Houston, being the fourth largest city in the nation, with a population of about four million, should have a doctoral program in social work.

"Houston didn't have a Ph.D. program in social work until this year. It was behind in this area," Leung said.

Karen Haynes, dean of the UH Graduate School of Social Work, said, "This definitely meets a need in Houston. Until now, no school (in Houston) offered a Ph.D. in social work. Yet, many administration positions require an advanced degree."

"There were approximately 200 university teaching positions open nationally in social work last year, most requiring a Ph.D. The number of social work graduates isn't large enough to support that demand," Leung said.

The three-year program will consist of 48 semester credit hours, which will include 12 core curriculum hours, 12 advanced curriculum hours, nine elective hours, six internship hours and nine hours for a doctoral dissertation.

"Students will complete internships to research the effectiveness of institutions and agencies," Leung said.

Several Houston organizations, including the Veterans Administration Hospital, Child Advocates Inc., Child Abuse Prevention Network and Baylor College of Medicine, have agreed to host UH students conducting research on the impact programs have on their clients.

Discussions about a social work doctoral program began in 1975, with serious effort to adopt the program in 1985. In October 1992, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board gave its approval.

"There have already been over 70 inquiries about the program without advertising. I am expecting about 100 inquiries, and at least half that many applications, of which 12 to 15 will be accepted," he said.

To support the new program, the Graduate School of Social Work will be hiring two new faculty to teach both the doctoral and master's programs. Some existing faculty will also be teaching at the doctoral level.

NEW BOOK TO EXPLORE UH HISTORY TRADITIONS, TRIVIA WILL BE FEATURED

by Charlotte Pennye

The scene is one in which a university campus sits nestled beside one of Houston's busiest freeways, practically within walking distance of the city's largest shopping mall, and occupying land in one of Houston's most affluent neighborhoods.

It may seem like a fantasy to picture UH in the location that is now occupied by Memorial Park, but it was almost a reality for faculty and students.

This is just one of the numerous facts and anecdotes about UH that will be available, thanks to an upcoming book being written by senior math major and student-regent Mitch Rhodes.

"I worked on a similar book at Texas Tech with three other people, and when I got here to UH, what really gave me the catalyst to get started was a book called <i>In Time <p> by Patrick James Nicholson. It's a very good book for history buffs, but I wanted to concentrate on the history and traditions of this school," he said.

In addition to the fun facts that will be presented, there will also be little-known historical facts.

For instance, Lynn Eusan Park, located next to the UH Hilton, is named in memory of the university's first black homecoming queen who was murdered in 1968.

"That park is the only place on campus named for a student," he said.

The origin of the official colors for UH, red and white, will also be explained in detail.

Rhodes said, "The main reason I wanted to write this book was to increase the pride here at UH. The students at Texas A&M have a lot of pride because they get there, and they learn about the history of that school and what it stands for.

"Texas A&M has a lot of history and tradition, but UH does, too. Not a lot of people know about UH's history because no one's done anything like this to inform people about it."

Some interesting bits of information concerning the Daily Cougar will also be discussed in the book.

When the Daily Cougar started publishing, it was a weekly paper that was basically a social column with humorous articles, Rhodes said.

"Any proceeds that this book earns need to be spent on improvements for the students. In one way or another, it should go directly to help benefit the students, like with a future phone-line system," he said.

The book will be entitled <i>University of Houston: Its History and Traditions<p>. Rhodes plans to finish the book before or shortly after the end of spring break. The release of the book depends on several factors such as proofreading and publishing, but Rhodes would definitely like for it to be available at the university bookstore and through the Alumni Association.

GRADS DESIGN FACILITY FOR ALASKA TOURISTS

by Claudia Gutierrez

To allow tourists from around the world to watch a luminous phenomenon in the arctic region, an aurorium has been designed by two UH graduate students for the purpose of viewing this wonder called the aurora borealis.

"An aurora borealis is a phenomenon that happens in the northern latitudes. They are particles coming from space, hitting the earth's atmosphere and lighting up the sky with a rainbow of colors," said Guillermo Trotti, associate director of UH's Saskawa International Center of Space Architecture. "They can only be seen at night between September and April."

"The aurora was an inspiration to create a resort for observation," Trotti said.

SICSA is a program that studies and designs projects for space, or harsh environments, including underwater projects in Alaska and Antarctica.

The UH College of Architecture's SICSA program members worked on this project during the fall of 1992.

"We worked on the proposal from September and sent the schemes in December," said Renee Myers, a graduate student participant.

"A contact from the University of Alaska in Fairbanks was in a conference with our director and started discussing a possible project," Myers said.

"Ester Dome has been selected as the prime location for the aurorium. The dome is set on an elevated hill with a view of the surrounding mountains and of Fairbanks," Trotti said. "The dome has an astronomy observatory, which would make it convenient for visitors to come up and observe the aurora."

The design of the building will be focused on the aurora. The three-story building will be formed by two sloped faces of glass, set between two triangular walls of stone.

The southern slope will incorporate solar heating, while the northern slope allows maximum view of the aurora, Myers said.

There will be a variety of settings for viewing the aurora, also. On the ground level, a dining room, which may also be reserved for banquets and weddings, will be built. A gift shop will also be located on the first floor, said Chris Heikkila, another participating graduate student.

"The aurorium will be more than just a place for viewing the aurora," said Heikkila. "It will be a place for recreational activities during the day."

According to the SICSA floor plan, the second level will consist of a night club that will seat approximately 68 people, allowing visitors to continue viewing the night lights. A small gallery will also be located on this floor.

The third floor will consist of two separate areas. In one area, visitors can watch the aurora directly or simultaneously through a satellite down-link of the aurora on two 7-by-7-foot screens. The other area consists of a chapel-like space providing informal seating around a still pool while viewing the lights, Myers said.

"Two schemes have already been sent to the University of Alaska, which will be reviewed for the next two months," Trotti said.

STUDENTS TEMPTED TO BET GAMBLING A UNIVERSITY PROBLEM

by Rafe Wooley

A Texas student walked into the student loan office of his college, borrowed $250, then spent it all on lottery tickets. Two days later, he did it again.

Ben S., a recovering compulsive gambler, is only 20 years old and a member of an increasing number of college students addicted to gambling.

Amy Wortham, coordinator of UH's STEPS (Substance Abuse Training and Education Program) program, said it is difficult to determine the number of UH students addicted to gambling because it is not usually an apparent addiction.

"Usually, it's attached with other problems that would present themselves as a primary concern, like drinking or family problems. Then gambling may be an underlying problem that would surface after talking with someone," Wortham said.

She said another reason it is difficult to determine how many students are addicted to gambling is because those students, who have spent their tuition to gamble, aren't here to get the help they need.

According to a recent survey of colleges in New York, New Jersey, Nevada, Oklahoma and Texas, 8 percent of all college students are compulsive gamblers.

Males are more likely to become addicted to gambling, and of those males, Asians and Hispanics have the highest rate of addiction, according to the survey, conducted by Henry Lesieur of Johns Hopkins University.

Texas Tech University began a campus Gamblers Anonymous program in September 1992.

Debbie Frapp, program coordinator for the Center for Addictive Behavior at Texas Tech, said she began holding GA meetings on campus after meeting with students who wanted help with their gambling addiction.

"These kids focus on abstinence from gambling, but it's a struggle for them. Unlike alcohol addiction, which can be avoided by staying out of bars and getting rid of the substance at home, the temptation to gamble is on television, in newspapers, almost everywhere," Frapp said.

According to Frapp, the most popular form of gambling among Texas Tech GA members is sports betting, which, she adds, is against the university's code of ethics.

Sue Cox, executive director of the Texas Council on Problem and Compulsive Gambling, said 40 percent of the calls received on the 1-800-742-0443 help-line are from males under 25 years old. Females under 25 constitute 30 percent of the calls.

"Most of the calls we get are about young people or are from young people wanting help with a gambling problem," Cox said.

She said most of the gambling problems of people 25 years old and younger were also related to sports betting.

Students who feel they may have a gambling addiction can call the UH STEPS program at 743-5456 or the local Gamblers Anonymous hotline at 684-6654.

FINGER-LICKIN' GOOD STUDENTS PLANNING ANNUAL FEAST

by Marla Crawford

Students in the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management can sample the best of their fellow students' cooking Friday at a preview of the school's annual Gourmet Night.

This week's dinner is a test run for the main event, scheduled for April 3. Fifty invited guests from the hotel and restaurant industry will sample the menu and critique the service.

"Celebrating Great Traditions" is the theme for the 19th anniversary of the college's Gourmet Night. This annual dinner for 300 is produced entirely by students.

"It's a way for us to showcase our talents. It gives us an opportunity to show the hotel and restaurant industry at large what we've learned," said Nati D'Haiti, the event's general manager.

"We place comment cards on each table and ask for suggestions from the guests," said Usha Correa, the event's marketing director. "We look at the suggestions and make changes where we need to."

Last year, D'Haiti was executive chef for the dinner. "She wanted to take people by surprise," said Todd Teaff, the event's assistant general manager.

"For the sorbet course, the lights were dimmed. She had 350 hand-carved ice boats brought in on trays. A blue glow-stick had been placed in each one. The glow lit up the whole room. People were awed by it," Teaff said.

Molly Gee, a nutritionist seen on Channel 13, will act as master of ceremonies for the April event. D'Haiti also invited local celebrity Dr. Red Duke and famous heart surgeon Dr. Denton Cooley.

D'Haiti, who will graduate in May, said, "I want to bring an awareness of health to the hospitality industry."

Other invited guests include the college's scholarship donors, administration officials, the UH Board of Regents and the deans of all UH colleges.

MARTIAL ARTS GOOD FOR CONFIDENCE, SELF-ESTEEM

by Jenny Silverman

When most people think of martial arts, images of old Bruce Lee movies come to mind.

In most of these films, Lee is portrayed as an almost Superman-like hero, crushing enemies with his martial arts prowess.

However, according to Grandmaster Kim Soo, the purpose of martial arts is to build confidence, and should not serve as a vehicle for violence.

Soo is a black-belt in martial arts from Korea who teaches Karate at Rice University and at UH.

"I consider myself a martial-arts educator. If taught improperly, martial arts can be dangerous. When taught correctly, martial-arts can be one of the most confidence-building activities one can participate in," he said.

The two classes taught by the grandmaster draw large crowds. He stated that he "teaches to an army of students." More than half of these students are women.

According to Soo, most people begin studying martial arts with the intention of learning to protect themselves in a crime infested city. However, the study of martial arts proves useful in improving one's entire lifestyle.

While today he is addressed as a grandmaster, as a youth, he was insecure and often tongue-tied in the presence of others.

He claims that "martial arts saved my life." He said many children who do not grow up with good role models lack self-confidence, and martial arts serves as a boon to their self-esteem.

Just as getting a university education takes time, so does earning a black belt.

Recently, Mayor Bob Lanier was made an honorary black belt in Cha Yon Ryu Martial Arts when he met with Soo.

One could even speculate that Lanier's study of martial arts helped to aid in his success.

Beginning classes are taught at Hofheinz Pavilion from 10-11 a.m. and 11:30-12:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 1-2 p.m. for intermediate classes.

BEHIND THE SCENES

by Rebecca McPhail

In an attempt to soothe some ruffled feathers, the Black Crowes, admitted media-haters, held a press conference last Saturday before their free show at the Sam Houston Coliseum.

During the conference, the Crowes fielded questions ranging from their stance on marijuana legalization to their latest video release. The bulk of the questions, however, centered on their highly publicized Houston concert last Oct. 12.

The show came under intense scrutiny when lead singer Chris Robinson protested the alleged mistreatment of fans by Astro Arena security personnel.

"This is our night. Our fans came here to hear some music and to have two hours of freedom," he said from the stage during the botched show. "This isn't a Guns N' Roses show. We all came here to have a good time."

The band, in fact, was so displeased with the tone of the Houston show, they released a statement the day after promising a free concert in early '93 which would be "an evening revolving around freedom of expression and staying away from the reins of discipline that the security personnel in Houston attempted to force on our fans last night."

Last Saturday's pre-show press conference was just one more way of reminding the media that the band had made good on its promise.

After an introduction from KLOL's Dayna Steele, the band shuffled out of their dressing room and into the spotlight of the national media (by way of MTV).

Robinson quickly took center stage, explaining the reasoning behind the show and summing up the band's general philosophy.

"Obedience is not something we're interested in around here," he said.

Robinson also explained why the Crowes, who could have a much larger draw, have stuck to fairly small venues this time out.

"We don't do the gigs people think you have to do," he said. "Why should we do anything to their conventional standards?"

Robinson readily described the violence he saw from the stage during the last concerts, but when asked whether the band's music may have incited the violence, he replied tersely, "Ignorance incites violence."

The band spoke most candidly about a subject near to their hearts -- the legalization of marijuana.

Not only does the band favor legalization, but they try to hand-pick their security force so fans at shows can enjoy "pot without paranoia."

Things turned sour when the topic once again shifted to the security at the past concert.

When asked whether security was simply following fire codes, Robinson retorted, "The soldiers in the concentration camps said they were only upholding orders."

Drummer Steve Gorman added, "I've never seen firemen beating up kids."

FLYING HIGH

by Rebecca McPhail

The Black Crowes blew back through Houston Saturday with a show that would have put Barnum and Bailey to shame.

The extravaganza, replete with belly dancers, bubble machines and colored Christmas lights (all viewed under an omnipresent marijuana cloud), was enough to transform the Sam Houston Coliseum into a three-ring-circus. Crowes frontman Chris Robinson (looking for all the world like the ghostly specter of the Mad Hatter) served as the evening's unofficial ring-leader.

The free show, billed as "an evening for like-minded individuals," served as an official apology for last October's Houston show, which was plagued by security problems.

As a result, security at the show was nearly non-existent. Police stood at the back of the hall and watched as people crowded the aisles, girls dancing atop five-foot-high walls and joints being passed around with astonishing nonchalance.

The crowd itself was an unheard-of mixture of humanity. Fortysomething bikers mingled with 19-year-old frat boys. Carefully-made-up older women danced next to dreadlocked high school kids.

Apparently, the media-savvy Crowes decided if they were going to play a free show, they'd have to milk it for all it was worth. Consequently, not only was a press conference with national media held beforehand, but the evening's proceedings were also simulcast across the country, and the show was filmed for a future video release.

After a solid, 30-minute set from the Jayhawks (and 10 minutes of gyrations from the belly dancers), the Crowes took to the stage with a grinding version of "No Speak No Slave" from their Southern Harmony and Musical Companion release.

It wasn't until several songs into the show that Robinson stopped to talk to the crowd.

"By the way, the whole world is listening to us, so you'd better be cool."

Unfortunately, the crowd didn't seem ready to heed Robinson's suggestion. Several songs later, Robinson had to repeatedly halt an extended version of "Thorn in My Pride" to call for an end to audience-shoving near the front of the arena.

"Last time, we had to stop the show because of security. Now we have to stop because of y'all?" he asked.

When it became clear this approach wasn't working, Robinson switched tactics.

"If you're too wasted or something," Robinson said, "just go home and deal with it."

The show proceeded smoothly after that, winding up (nearly two hours after it began) with the show-stopping "Remedy." The extended jam, complete with Robinson's stream-of-consciousness rap, brought down the house while the entire audience sang along.

With all the hype surrounding the show, the Crowes faced the daunting task of exceeding their own publicity.

Yet, from the moment they took the stage, the Crowes proved, despite the bell-bottoms and ghoulish make-up, they're what music has been missing for too long -- a straightforward, honest-to-goodness, rock 'n' roll band.

As my companion for the evening said, "This is what a rock 'n' roll show is supposed to be."

JAYHAWKS SOAR

by Rebecca McPhail

The latest Jayhawks/Black Crowes tour line-up is just more proof that birds of a feather flock together.

The Crowes' southern blues-rock feel has proved to be the perfect foil for the Jayhawks' northern blues-folk base.

Jayhawks bassist Marc Perlman is pleased with the pairing.

"The Crowes are fantastic; we're very good friends with those guys. They've done a lot for us," he said.

"They're musicians, and they're in it for the music. It's very rare to find popular musicians that are into the music of it."

After years of touring and releasing albums, the Minneapolis-based Jayhawks are finally hitting their stride.

"We were on the Canadian equivalent of MTV," Perlman said. "It was beamed over to hundreds of Canadians all over the country."

The band also appeared on <i>Late Night With David Letterman<p>.

"Oh, you saw that little show?" Perlman asked. "I thought it was just shown in New York."

The Jayhawks, consisting of Perlman, singer Mark Olson, guitarist Gary Louris and drummer Ken Callahan, first got their start in the early '80s.

"Mark and Gary sort of got together, and they couldn't find a bass player, so they asked me to join. That's pretty much it," Perlman said.

Although the core of the band came together with relative ease, finding a steady drummer has been no easy task.

The Jayhawks, who are now on their third drummer, have had enough drummer mishaps to rival Spinal Tap.

"The parody is almost real," Perlman said. "Spooky, isn't it? I don't know why it is. I guess it's their breed."

Minneapolis, the Jayhawks' home turf, has been a fertile stomping ground for "alternative" acts, including Husker Du and Soul Asylum.

Perlman recalled a brush with one of Minneapolis' most famous native sons, Prince.

"He came into one of our shows once and just stared at us from the balcony of the place and then he left," he said. "It was like, 'Why are you looking at me? ' "

Of all the area bands, Soul Asylum, in particular, holds a special place in the band's heart.

"It's nice because we live in Minneapolis, so we get a chance to play together," Perlman said.

Since gaining national recognition, the Jayhawks have had a chance to tour with a well known Texas band -- The Arc Angles.

Because of the Angels' stellar pedigree (including two members of Stevie Ray Vaughn's Double Trouble and musical whiz kid Charlie Sexton), the Jayhawks were somewhat intimidated by the prospect of touring with them.

They didn't have to worry, Perlman said. "We were actually pleasantly surprised with how nice they were," he said.

Perlman was particularly fond of guitarist Charlie Sexton.

"Isn't that Charlie Sexton just a cutie?" he asked. "He's hot. Listen, I mean if I was a woman, I'd be all over him."

After 10-and-a-half weeks on tour with the Angels, the Jayhawks signed on with their old friends The Black Crowes.

"We've learned a lot from being on tour with the Crowes, as far as arranging our music and presenting it to a live audience," Perlman said. "We're going to tour with them until they kick us off."

AUTHORS TEAMING UP FOR PUBLIC READING

by Faith Venverloh

Special to the Daily Cougar

Fiction writer Charles Baxter and poet Stephen Dunn will give a joint-reading as part of the 1992-93 Margarett Root Brown Houston Reading Series on Feb. 23 at the Museum of Fine Arts.

Charles Baxter has published three books of short stories, which include <i>Through the Safety Net<p> (1985), <i>Harmony of the World<p> (1984) and <i>A Relative Stranger<p> (1990). He also has two novels entitled <i>First Light<p> (1987) and the just-released <i>Shadow Play<p> (1993).

His work is full of ironic humor as he explores his characters' efforts to maintain some type of order and harmony in their lives while dealing with the chaos and tension that threaten their daily existence.

His stories have also been anthologized in a large number of collections, and he has received, among other awards, a Guggenheim Fellowship and a Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Foundation Fellowship.

Baxter currently teaches English at the University of Michigan after previous affiliations with Wayne State University and Warren Wilson College.

Stephen Dunn is the author of eight collections of poetry, including <i>Landscape at the End of the Century<p> (1991), <i>Between Angels<p> and <i>Local Time<p>, which won the National Poetry Series Open Competition in 1986.

His poems combine wit and pathos, allegory and surrealism, in his attempts to confront the anxieties, fears and joys of everyday life with style and grace. A book of his essays, <i>Walking Light: Essays and Memoirs<p>, will be published in May 1993.

His awards include a Guggenheim Fellowship, three National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowships and the Theodore Roethke and Helen Bullis Prizes.

Dunn has taught poetry at Columbia University, Syracuse University, and the University of Washington, and he is now professor of Creative Writing at Stockton State College in New Jersey.

The event is co-sponsored by Inprint Inc. and the UH Creative Writing Program and funded by the Brown Foundation. The program is produced in conjunction with the Houston Museum of Fine Arts.

A $5 donation at the door is requested; students and senior citizens are admitted free.

The series will begin at 8 p.m. in the Brown Auditorium of the MFA.

COOGS LOOK TO 'HANG 10'ON LADY RAIDERS' WAVE

Riding high on the crest of a two-game winning streak, the Lady Cougars are looking to keep their heads above water as the Red Raider tide comes rolling into town tonight.

Senior forward Sheryl Swoopes will lead the No. 11 Texas Tech Lady Red Raiders' invasion at 7 p.m. at Hofheinz Pavilion.

"I expect a totally different game from when we were in Lubbock," coach Jessie Kenlaw said, referring to the Cougars' agonizing 93-41 loss to the Red Raiders earlier in the season. The loss was partially due to Margo Graham's and Stephanie Edwards' absences.

However, Coach Kenlaw said she has a game plan that will enable the Cougars to possibly shut down Swoopes.

"We are going to make adjustments that will help us," Kenlaw said. "We will try to contain her. Hopefully, we can get a few other people involved."

As if her presence in the Southwest Conference was not strong enough, Swoopes is also the third leading scorer in the nation, posting more than 25 points a game.

The Washington Huskies were her victims when she scored a career-high 48 points earlier this season. She also leads the nation in steals with 13 per game.

The Red Raiders are right at the hooves of the Texas Lady Longhorns, who hold down first place in the SWC. The loss to Texas is the only blemish on the Raiders' 6-1 record.

The Cougars, with a 4-3 record, are tied with Southern Methodist for third place.

Saturday, the Cougars pushed the Texas Christian Lady Horned Frogs even further down in the SWC basement, handing them a 86-73 loss.

Starters Michelle Harris, Antoinette Isaac and Graham combined to score 49 points.

SPRINTER EFFERSON DOES 'CORRECT' THING

by Jason Ramirez

University of Houston track standout Sam Jefferson is one of the few athletes around who doesn't really believe in just performing well.

Instead, Jefferson says he believes in doing things "technically correct."

"There's a difference," he said. "When you perform well, you don't always win, but when you do things technically correct, winning shouldn't be a problem."

And when it comes to winning, this is one area Jefferson has never had a problem with.

A native of Waco, Jefferson has gone from being Texas-known to nationally recognizable as one of the Cougars' top prospects, competing for some All-American credentials this year.

During all four years of high school at Waco high, Jefferson placed well in the 100-meter run at every state meet held. In what he regards as his greatest high school achievement, Jefferson won the 100-meter during his sophomore year, establishing a new state record.

"Winning the state meet that year was something to really cherish for the rest of my life," he said.

Jefferson's track career didn't end there. After signing with UH to run during his freshman year, he placed second in the Southwest Conference in the 100-meter, qualifying for the NCAA meet, in which Jefferson advanced to the semi-finals where he finished ninth.

As he did during his sophomore year in high school, Jefferson won the 100-meter in his sophomore year of college at the SWC meet.

He once again qualified for the NCAA meet, finishing ninth again. He also gained something more. Jefferson's time was good enough to qualify him for the 1992 Summer Olympics. However, he was unable to attend for physical reasons.

During his first meet this year at Louisiana State, Jefferson won the 55-meter event, setting the stage for the Melrose Games, to be held on Feb. 6. At Melrose, Jefferson placed fifth. He hopes to improve on that this weekend in Oklahoma City at the Oklahoma Classic.

When asked about being an All-American, Jefferson mentioned that the honor will not have any effect on what he plans on doing for the rest of his college career.

"It won't matter," he said. "Titles don't change accomplishments. If anything, it takes away from your achievement."

Nevertheless, winning the honor will be just fine, or "technically correct."

FEW AND PROUD

by Jason Ramirez

Cougars rugby coach Mark Speer is looking for a few good men.

"With the program that we are trying to build here," he said, "I would like to see as many new tryouts come out to practice as soon as possible."

Speer said that with the rugby playoffs coming up in about six to seven weeks, he is looking for backups to take the place of some of the older players on the team who may not be allowed to play once the playoffs begin.

"Since I believe that we have a great chance at competing this year, I'm going to need to get as many new recruits as I can in order to prevent forfeiting the playoffs due to old players since it breaks NCAA rules."

In addition to finding new players to replace some of the older athletes, Speer hopes some of these players will be young enough so that the team can look forward to being a winning program for many years to come.

"Since we are thriving on what we already have," he said, "any new players that we may acquire can gain experience that will carry over through the future years."

However, Speer does admit that he and his team cannot dwell on the fact they may not get all the necessary players needed for replacement.

"Instead of worrying about what we don't have," he said, "we need to worry about what we do have."

And what the Cougars have is a possible winner. They are currently holding a 5-2 record and have won their last four in a row, a good portion of their victories being against some top-notch competition.

"We have come a long way this year," Speer said. "I owe all the credit in the world to these players and my assistant coach Matt Apollo Creed."

Along with Creed, Speer also coaches rugby at St. Ann's Intermediate (junior high), which is one of only three pre-college rugby programs in the Houston area.

"I really do hope that the sport of rugby comes back because it is not very popular in the United States," he said.

Nevertheless, Speer is working hard at spreading the word. Whether he makes it known to several of the students on campus remains to be seen.

If any student is interested in Speer's offer, please call his office at 685-1765 or call team captain Rob Sharabba at 266-1275.

STUDENTS HELPING THE NEEDY THROUGH WEATHER-PROOFING

by Debbie Callier

Members of UH's Students in Construction Related Industries spend Friday afternoons helping others by working with "At Risk Youths" in the Third Ward.

SCRI members donate their time to the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church Energy Saving Project, which trains people who are homeless, unemployed, former substance abusers and first-time offenders to repair houses.

Reverend William Lawson of the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church refers to these people as "At Risk Youths," said Myrtice White, the program's coordinator.

"Trouble is easy to get into, but hard to get out of," White said. "Everybody needs a chance in life, and this project is it."

UH students involved in the project work on the houses with the youth, but their primary function is to supervise and to train the men in the program.

As part of their training, the men distribute fliers advertising free weather-proofing for houses to non-profit agencies, senior citizens and people on low, moderate or fixed incomes.

Supervised members of the program evaluate the requests, and the group does the repairs on the houses in the afternoons.

"Some people are glad, and some are skeptical when we arrive. They're not used to having visitors. The best payment is the smile on their faces when we're done," said Curry Gaul, one of the participating youth.

The youth are paid by the hour with funds provided by the state and donations to the church.

They learn responsibilities, gain self worth, and at the same time, do something important for people in need, White said.

Gaul said they are all grateful and wants to continue to do community service after he gets a full-time job.

"The program gives us a chance to show we're not down on our luck anymore," Gaul said.

Working in that area is an awakening, said Richard Akin, a senior industrial distribution major and a member of SCRI.

In one case, a tree was holding up part of a woman's house. In another, there was a hole in the middle of a floor.

All materials are donated, and the workers improvise on many repairs, except for the weather-proofing they learned from specialists at Houston Lighting and Power seminars.

The UH students bring considerable expertise to the project, White said.

In addition to helping the unfortunate, Steve Brindley, a senior construction management major, believes the work will benefit UH at the state-funding level.

"UH gets great exposure. What goes around comes around," Brindley said.

Carl Sim, a senior architecture major and SCRI member, said, "I wanted to do something more meaningful than donating money to charity."

Akin said they also hope to continue looking for projects on campus, such as the one they did last summer when they built the decking in the Technology Building courtyard.