COUGARS HOPE TO BOUNCE BACK AGAINST TEXAS A&M

A fight to the finish, or at least until the end of the basketball game, is what the Lady Aggies will get when the Lady Cougars travel to College Station Saturday to defend their third-place rung on the Southwest Conference ladder.

The Cougars, 4-4 in the SWC, are once again involved in a four-way tie for third place with the Aggies, the Baylor Lady Bears and the Southern Methodist Lady Mustangs.

"It will be a close race between A&M, SMU and us," coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "This Saturday's game will be important."

The Aggies visited Houston Wednesday when they handed the Rice Owls a 73-61 loss.

Houston swept the Aggies last season in close meetings. The first game went into overtime, resulting in a 79-78 Cougar win. In the second meeting, the Cougars eked out a 72-70 victory.

The team is still aiming for consistency, something it still doesn't have control of. Wednesday's loss to No. 11 Texas Tech proved this point.

Houston came out strong, allowed the Raiders back into the game, then watched them rattle off enough points to lead at one point by 27.

In the midst of the game, the Cougars did receive a strong performance from Andi Jackson, who has been racking up some consistent numbers. She is averaging 12 points and four rebounds a game.

Kenlaw hopes for more of the same.

"Margo was sick and took herself out for awhile, and Andi played well when we needed her," Kenlaw said.

As for the long-range outlook, Kenlaw is optimistic.

"We stand a chance. I wouldn't rule us totally out of it. If we have a strong finish and do well at the SWC tournament, we could do it (NCAAs)," she said.

The Cougars' next home game is against Baylor on Wednesday, Feb. 17 and will be televised on HSE.

*******************************************************

V-DAY TIPS: HEARTS AND HORSIES

by Sally Pouncy

Don't dally deciding on what to do for Valentine's day. Take some tips from tasteful students on where to go and what to do with your date.

Jason Douglas, a sophomore drama major, said he would start one week early to impress his valentine. "I would send her a flower every day with a note that read, 'From your secret admirer,' then on Valentine's Day, I would show up at her door with a rose in my hand and say, 'May I have the pleasure of being your valentine?'"

After journalism senior Kristen Shires gets picked up by her valentine, she'd like to be taken to Ruggles restaurant for dinner, followed by a trip to an art museum. To top off her valentine date, Shires said she'd like to be taken to the intimately cozy bar Marfreles for a night-cap.

Giving his date a bouquet of roses would start off social work graduate student Michael Darby's idea of a romantic date in Houston. He would then whisk his date away to the Spindletop restaurant for a romantic dinner atop the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Afterward, they would take a trip through downtown in a horse-drawn carriage.

Sophomore chemical engineering major Marcus Byrd would also take his date to the Spindeltop for dinner, then down to Galveston for a moonlight walk along the beach.

If the weather is warm and sunny this Valentine's Day, Kim Partridge, a senior drama major, said she would like to "go have a picnic and enjoy the nice weather."

Graduate drama student Lona Fenley thought of a flowering thing she and her husband could do on Valentine's Day. "We have this really big landscape problem at our house, so I think it would be nice to plant a rose bush together for every Valentine's Day we spend together. "

Fenley said later that night, she would like to "take my husband out to the restaurant where we had our first date."

APPLICATION STIRS CRIES OF ELECTION FRAUD, SABOTAGE

by David Sikes

On Wednesday, the last day candidates could file for Students' Association elections, a questionable application was submitted for the president's position.

The student whose name appeared on the application under the SAIL party said he was unaware he was on the ballot.

"I'm running for what? I don't know anything about it. What's the election for? What does SAIL stand for anyway?" asked Daniel Roque-Jackson, a junior business major whose name appears on the application.

Roque-Jackson offered no explanation for the motives of the pranksters.

"I lost my ID the other day. Maybe someone picked it up and used it. I don't know why," he said.

The use of the name SAIL was thought to be a closely guarded secret by members of the Students As Innovative Leaders party. Until the phony application appeared, the party planned on using the acronym.

According to SAIL presidential candidate Jason Fuller, several people outside of his party knew of the name SAIL, but they didn't know what the letters stood for.

"I think (the phony application) was done in an attempt to thwart my running for president. I don't think I have any enemies that would do this. It's highly possible that it was politically motivated," Fuller said.

"If it is found out that it was done by an SA candidate or anyone involved in the election, it could be construed as election fraud, and the offender would be disqualified," said Ron Capehart, chief election commissioner.

The application was submitted not to the election commissioner's office but to the secretary in the SA offices. Capehart said applications can be dropped off at either location.

When the application was brought to the attention of Capehart, his assistant called Roque-Jackson to confirm his candidacy.

"He didn't know anything about it," said Natalie Sinn, assistant election commissioner. "He did ask what he would have to do if he ran, and I told him he would have to debate the other candidates. He said 'never mind,' " she added.

Capehart said he is keeping the application on hold until he can officially verify that Roque-Jackson doesn't intend on running. Capehart added that doing this will be difficult over the phone. He said he plans to ask Roque-Jackson for his student ID number to be sure he's speaking to the right person.

"I believe we will speak to the election committee about this issue so it doesn't happen again," he said.

Capehart suggested that checking IDs upon filing or charging a filing fee might prevent such problems in the future.

CREATIVE LOVE-MAKING KEEPS FIRE BURNING

by Annette Baird

A Valentine's kiss-and-tell revealed UH students' romantic secrets for keeping the sizzle in their relationships.

Valentine's cards sent by anonymous co-workers spiced up David Beard's 13-year marriage. "There was nothing my wife wouldn't do for me, at least for a couple of weeks," Beard said.

Beard, a postbaccalaureate student, suggested forging Valentine's cards to yourself if you don't get any legitimate ones. "Splatter them with perfume and leave them lying around the house," Beard said.

"I recently saw some edible body lotion in Memorial Mall. I might try that this year, in our hammock," said Graham Cooper, a senior psychology major who has been in a relationship for four years.

Keeping the kids out of the way was how several mothers kept the sizzle in their relationships. "My kids keep coming into the bedroom," said Davis, who is seeking her teaching certificate.

Several students offered suggestions.

"Lock them out of the bedroom," graduate anthropology student Laurel Shrontz said.

"Get a babysitter," junior political science major Bonnie Balazs suggested.

"Do it outside," postbaccalaureate education student Liz Davis said.

Davis, who has been married for 11 years, said she and her husband like to run naked outside and make love on the deck or in the garden. "Getting back to nature brings the excitement back," she said.

Keeping a relationship fresh is a major challenge, according to Susan Donnell, staff psychologist at the Counseling and Testing Center. "Every couple's definition of sizzle is different."

In the beginning, the relationship takes precedence over everything else, Donnell said. "Then it is put on the back burner as work, school and pressures of daily life take over."

"We're culturally biased. The sizzler responsibility is on the female," journalism major Diana Barnes said.

Spending time with each other is important, said Terry Peden, who has been married for eight years.

"Give good presents, like good jewelry. Throw on some cologne. Get in bed. Cook her breakfast. Do something special," said Peden, a senior electrical engineering major.

"Never lose your sense of humor. Both of you have to take the initiative," said Debbie Nowinski, a postbaccalaureate in classical studies.

"I recommend little secret surprises -- I put candy kisses in my husband's lunch box and write him love notes," Balazs said. "Fill the jacuzzi and light the candles," said Shrontz, who's been married for 10 years.

"Couples should explore their relationship and find out what made it sizzle before," Donnell advised. "Have a joint thing together, a sporting activity or art classes, for example -- something they can talk about together."

CTC offers counseling for couples as long as one of them is a student. There are no fees for the first eight sessions. "We see lots of couples; you don't have to be married," said counselor Ken Waldman.

A couples seminar was planned for this semester at the CTC, but there has been no response, Donnell said. "It was meant to be an enrichment program for couples who need to work on improving their relationships."

FORMER HRM DEAN PLEADS GUILTY TO THEFT

The ex-associate dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management plead guilty Thursday to second-degree felony theft and "official oppression."

David Hayes, who has been on administrative leave from his faculty duties since August, 1992, admitted to inflating his expense account from 1990-92. He has agreed to make restitution to the university in the amount of $1,800.

Hayes was also sentenced to 30 days in the Harris County Jail after pleading "no contest" to two counts of "official oppression," which is the criminal definition of sexual harassment by a public official.

UH officials said Hayes probably won't begin to serve that sentence until the sentencing hearing for the felony charge is finished. That hearing is scheduled for April 8.

Hayes faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in jail and a $10,000 fine for the second-degree felony.

BEHEADED PRIEST'S OR MATING BIRDS' DAY? VALENTINE'S DAY HAS HAZY ORIGIN

by Karen Snelling

On Sunday, swarms of couples will go out, cards and flowers will be given and hugs and kisses will be exchanged.

Why? What started all these mushy-sweet traditions?

Although the precise origin of Valentine's Day is unknown, several different events are speculated to have a part in this day's creation.

In ancient Rome, at a time right before spring, citizens used to celebrate the Lupercalia, a feast honoring Pan, the god of flocks and herds, and Juno, the goddess of the Roman state.

According to the Rev. Alban Butler, compiler of <i>The Lives of the Saints<p>, ancient festivities like these presented a challenge to early Christian clergy who wanted to put an end to all pagan celebrations. How could Christians end a traditional feast that citizens had enjoyed for years? Butler said the answer was to simply replace those being honored.

Butler said that as a result of Christian influence, these feasts began to commemorate the deaths of two martyred saints named Valentine.

The honored Valentines were supposedly a Roman priest and a bishop from Terni, who were both beheaded on Feb. 14 in their respective cities around 269 A.D. during the persecution ordered by Claudius the Goth.

Some speculate there was only one St. Valentine who was executed.

Unfortunately for the Roman church, the religious significance of Valentine's Day has diminished. The Saint Valentine's feast day is not even recognized on the Roman rites calendar.

Allegedly, the customs of choosing sweethearts and sending love notes developed during the Middle Ages. Several theories relate these traditions to the medieval European belief that birds begin to mate on Feb. 14. People who followed the birds' example began to exchange compliments and gifts to attract prospective mates.

The English began a similar Valentine's Day superstition. According to their belief, on Valentine's morning, the first unmarried person of the opposite sex that a single person meets is destined to become that person's wife or husband.

In America, Valentine's Day has become a day of exchanging cards not only with lovers but also relatives, friends and classmates.

Valentine's Day is not celebrated in other countries with as much enthusiasm as England or America.

The holiday is not recognized in India, said Bharati Chandraker, a graduate mechanical engineering student. Chandraker said since she came to the United States from India last March, she has never celebrated Valentine's Day.

"I think there's an All Hearts Day celebrated in Sweden, but it's not stressed in the schools like it is here," said Martin Nilsson, a graduate mechanical engineering student. Nilsson came to the United States from Sweden a little over a year ago. He said he did not do anything last year for Valentine's Day because he did not have a girlfriend.

Cecilia Dehoyos, a freshman electrical engineering major, said she and her husband have their own Valentine's Day tradition. "My husband always gives me one red rose on Valentine's Day," she said.

UH DATES EARN B'S

by Katherine Bui

Where is Cupid when you really need him?

In a recent dating survey, we asked 100 students to grade their potential dating partners.

Forty percent of 50 male and 50 female students gave the opposite sex a B average on the A-F grading scale.

A breakdown of the scale shows only 17 percent of the students rated their classmates with an A, 37 percent with a C, 5 percent with a D and 1 percent with an F.

Eric Pantano, a graduate chemistry student, said, "There's a lot of potential in a place like UH."

Biology senior Terrell Langford said, "UH provides an exceptional intellectual atmosphere to meet people."

According to several students, however, their colleagues are too conservative, unattractive, talkative or unapproachable.

K. Ngo, a sophomore hotel and restaurant management major, said, "Some of the guys at UH often have weird and immature habits, like speaking freely about their private parts."

Navneet Singh, a freshman biology major, said, "College girls are often too talkative and use their language too freely."

Michelle Mensik, a junior psychology major, said, UH students are introverted and wait for others to approach first.

Senior marketing major Tom Schafer said, "The diversity of people at UH prevents individuals from personal associations."

Mahin Gaytos, a junior business management major, said, "I guess everyone searches for a sensitive person with some backbone."

Several students related past dating experiences at UH.

"I became intrigued with this one girl when her skirt fell off," said Duy Le, a sophomore biology major.

Judd Luchenbill, a junior civil engineering major, said, "I took my blind date to a country dance and stepped all over her feet. After I drove her home, she ran into the house and bolted the door."

The classroom was said to be the most popular place to meet members of the opposite sex.

According to most students, it is best if the class is small. One male student surveyed preferred to meet girls at add/drop.

Q. Nguyen, a junior pre-business major, recalled one experience she had in front of the UC's Etcetera convenience store. She and her friend were targeted by a group of men who were singling out women to ask for their names. These men proceeded to get the women's phone numbers in the campus directory.

CASINO NIGHT ROLLS ON, SETTLES LEGAL PROBLEMS

by Rebecca McPhail

The UH Residence Halls Association (RHA) is counting on students to take a chance tonight at the 21st annual Casino Night.

The RHA-sponsored event is an annual tradition with all proceeds benefiting Camp Cougar, a two-week summer camp for the mentally retarded.

Matthew Mucker, a junior medical technology major, has been involved with the organization of Casino Night for the past two years. This year he serves as the event's chairperson.

"It's a very fun and worthwhile event, and planning it is a big responsibility," he said. "I felt I could do a good job."

The event, which runs from 8 p.m. until midnight, features blackjack, roulette, craps and poker (all played with fake money). The players' winnings are traded in for coupons to be used at an auction later in the evening.

Among the prizes to be auctioned off are tickets to the Alley Theatre and various comedy clubs.

Mucker admits there are currently fewer items than in previous years.

"We didn't get started collecting soon enough this year," Mucker said.

The late start is due, in part, to a little legal wrangling between RHA and UHPD.

Apparently, past Casino Nights included illegal activity, Mucker said.

"We had to resolve the legal conflict before starting. That's why we got the late start this year," Mucker added.

UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil spoke with RHA about changes necessary for the event to meet legal standards. According to Mucker, the larger prizes must now be raffled off as door prizes instead of being auctioned off with the rest of the items.

In the past, Casino Night has raised as much as $15,000 for Camp Cougar.

RHA spends $3,000 organizing the event, none of which is recovered. "People don't realize it, but of the $5 cost of the ticket, all of that goes to Camp Cougar," Mucker said.

Camp Cougar is an outdoor nature camp consisting of five different two-week camps for the mentally retarded. The camps are run by the Mental Health and Mental Retardation Authority of Harris County (MHMRAHC).

"The people attending the camps really love it. It's their big deal for the year," said Helen Varty, fund-raiser for MHMRAHC.

Varty admits her organization has little involvement in Casino Night other than reaping the rewards.

"We don't do a whole lot," Varty said. "The kids run it for us. It's wholly a student-run deal."

'NECKING AREAS' EVOLVE

by Margarita Rosado

To the romantics in the world, Valentine's Day is another excuse to snuggle up a little closer, and UH has a history of accommodating students' needs for romance.

UH made national headlines in the 1950s for having a "designated necking area" for students who wanted to express their romantic emotions.

According to an article from Housing Archives, "the area outside (Bates and Law) dormitory recreation rooms are approved for good-night kissing only. The Cullen Boulevard side of (Bates) dormitory is recommended. The cars in the dormitory parking lot (are approved) only if we can see your heads showing above the car seats."

The locations may have been kept discreet since Farris Block, the now-retired head of University Relations, said he never heard of the designated areas.

Since then, UH has ceased to designate an area for sweethearts, but UH students continue to maintain "traditional mating areas."

Several UH students say the newly rebuilt Cullen Family Plaza fountain is the ideal spot to meet people.

One of the biggest changes in the university concerning the Residential Life and Housing arrangements came in the 1960s. Before then, students of the opposite sex were not allowed to intermingle in the dorms after hours.

Today, students' guests can spend up to two nights in the dorms with a written agreement and RA approval, said junior Betsy Sherman, a residence halls receptionist.

Despite the more liberal attitudes of today's students, there still remain those who choose the ancient, but continuously effective, approach to courtship, according to sophomore Claudio Adamus.

"I've met a lot of females by opening the doors for them in between buildings, and if I get eye contact, I usually do my smooth talking from there," Adamus said.

UH ALUMNA WINS $10 MILLION SWEEPSTAKES

One thing every college student can never get enough of is money.

"If I won a lot of money, I would buy a house, a new car and travel. Then I'd live off the interest," said Charles Eastland, a senior mechanical engineering major. David Kniess, a senior German major, had just about the same plans.

"I'd pay off my bills. I'd buy a house with a big backyard and go to the pound and get three big dogs. I'd travel and send $50,000 to my parents," he said.

Money doesn't grow on trees ... or does it? Recently, one former UH student received $10 million for mailing in her Publishers' Clearing House envelope.

Pamela Barton grew up in south Houston and attended UH from 1972 to 1976. During these years, Barton contributed to the university as one of the founders of the day-care center on campus.

"We worked with people at UH to get a day-care center. It was very revolutionary, an incredible leap. It doesn't seem like a big concept now, but it was a real stretch," Barton said.

Barton, along with other feminists and the Students' Association, worked to get enthusiasm and support from key educators. "We tried to make them see that a day-care center was necessary. We said, "Look, you've got pool tables, but you don't have day care for student mothers," she said.

In fall 1972, the first day-care center located off campus was opened. But in 1974, the center was vandalized. "It was trashed. After that, the new one that's there now came about," she said.

Barton remembers the end of the Vietnam War while she was attending UH. "Vietnam was coming to an end. There was a lot of social justice and peace sit-ins. That was neat to be a part of or at least, see. I had my sympathies in that direction," Barton said. Her years at UH ended in 1976 when she graduated and received a bachelor's degree in psychology.

Barton lives in Dickinson and works at the Friendswood Counseling Center. She found out about her leap into fortune from her neighbors. "I didn't believe it. I thought they (the neighbors) were playing a joke on me," she said.

After a search for Barton, the representatives of Publishers' Clearing House eventually found her and told her she had won $10 million. "I thought they (the representatives) were nuts. I was getting ready to go to the grocery store. I saw them and thought, 'What are these clowns doing on my porch?' But I became pretty excited then," she said.

Barton has had DJs call her at 5 a.m. asking her questions about her fortune. However, she doesn't have extravagant plans for her money. She lives in a small, two-story house with a porch that overlooks a small creek. "It's my dream-house, believe it or not," she said.

Barton said she plans to install a new carpet and a new roof. "When that carpet is in, that's when I'll believe it's for real," she said.

Barton keeps long hours at the center, sometimes working from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. "I really like working with people. As far as I know, I'll keep right on working," she said.

She has a picture of Amelia Earhart hanging on her wall. The caption reads, "How can life grant us boon (the great benefit) of living ... unless we dare?" Barton said this has been a very important message in her life.

"In a sense, this is my motto. I also believe that you have to put yourself where the opportunity is. How can you have a chance unless you try," she said.

Barton has not made any major plans for her newfound wealth. She doesn't appear too concerned either. "Right now, I'm just a happy, single grandma," she said with a smile as she picked up her grandson.

PERFORMANCE ART RATES '12 MINUTES MAX'

by Amey Mazurek

The Wizard of Oz went hip-hop at the "12 Minutes Max" show at DiverseWorks Sunday night.

Eric Cork was one of five performance artists, each of whom had a time limit of 12 minutes. In his piece, "Hip-Hopping the Classics...For the Classroom," he used a large, white clock on a rope as a pendulum to "hypnotize" the audience back into their elementary school days.

He fashioned The Wizard of Oz movie plot into rap lyrics. In between choruses, he led the "kids" in the Wicked Witch's guards' chant, "Oh ree oh, reeee oh," with five "boys" providing the occasional "hunh!" for emphasis.

They also gleefully provided rhythm by snapping fingers and clapping hands. Occasional, self-conscious giggles infected the "classroom."

He was preceded by Michael Battey in "The Moon." "When the man in the suit and tie came out, the audience clapped," announced a woman's radio voice. Battey, dressed in suit and tie, then approached the microphone and greeted the dutiful applause. It was a self-parody reminiscent of some of the Art Guys' past performances.

Kelli Scott Kelley and Bill Kelley performed in a somber "Symbiosis." It illustrated phases of the moon with women dressed in nursing uniforms, their faces covered by white dust-masks, assisting a rather traumatic-looking performance-birth, which resulted in a giant, red egg placed on the stage, illuminated by a nurse's flashlight.

Although the piece was well-choreographed, and the ambient sounds appropriate, the theme of women representing the natural cycles of the moon (according to the program) was lost to a vague impression of anti-institutionalism.

Margaret Boswell recreated a moon-relative dance, accompanied by Robert Pearson's adept electronic piano compositions. She emphasized spherical motions through arm gestures and cyclical motion through smooth transitions of slow flowing gestures with quick, expansive leaps and cross-stage movements.

Michael Fisher came last with his hair slicked back, in jeans and a black leather jacket. With the spotlight highlighting his bushy eyebrows and steady eyes gazing from between scruff-infested cheekbones, he looked positively lupine. Not surprisingly, his piece dealt with werewolves.

Even though he admitted to having "no degree in wereology, or whatever you call it," he estimated half the audience to be werewolves. That half, if they really knew themselves to be werewolves, would "on a full moon...rise up and slay the other half and drink their blood."

His list of historical werewolves included David Duke, Jack the Ripper and Jim Jones. He implored everyone to watch themselves before leaving the stage.

MURRAY COMES OUT OF HIDING

by Sally Pouncy

Groundhog day might be over, but Bill Murray's latest film has him meeting the furry forecaster more than once.

Murray has teamed up with his old pal Harold Ramis for a new film about the wacky world we live in. In Groundhog Day , Murray plays Phil Connors, a T.V. weather forecaster forced to re-live Feb. 2 every day.

Connors and his camera crew drive up to the quaint, little town of Punxsutawney, Pa., to film the Feb. 2 emergence of the town's most popular citizen, Punxsutawney Phil, a groundhog. Connors has covered the groundhog coming out several times, so he is far from impressed with the event. His producer Rita (Andie MacDowell) and his cameraman Larry (Chris Elliott) are both good sports about the event and write Connors' sarcasm off as part of his ego problem.

They do this every day, and Connors begins to believe it must be his fault he is stuck in the same day. So Connors does the ultimate feat to get himself out of his problem.

He drives a truck off a cliff, throws himself off a building, takes a bath with a plugged-in toaster -- he wants to kill himself, but he just won't die.

Every morning, he awakens tortured by the Sonny and Cher song, "I Got You, Babe." He is accosted by an old high school friend, and he must suffer though a cold shower every day.

Murray does a wonderful job in this movie. He is in top form as Connors, and his rapport with MacDowell and Elliott works well.

Director Harold Ramis deserves most of the credit for the humor of this film. His history with Murray is obvious through the hilarious performance of his lead actor.

Since the movie takes place on one day, Ramis has the difficult job of keeping his actors' performances the same from scene to scene, and he pulls it off wonderfully.

Groundhog Day opens Feb. 12 at local theaters.

KRS-ONE LECTURE

by Dina Griswold

KRS-One held up two cards. Most would agree one was white and one was black. Then, he said, "No one in this room is white or black."

"It is titles like this that mold our image of ourselves," he said.

In his two-hours-plus performance at the Cougar Den Wednesday night, Boogie Down Productions rap master KRS-One took a crowd to high plains of revolutionary thought.

He emphasized correct thinking and analysis in order to prove his point that past history is relevant to the present day.

For instance, the term "African American" does not refer to the historical origin of this group of humans. Thus, the title, to him, is a falsity.

He said no one is really American except for Native Americans such as the Navajo, Hopi, Sioux and other indigenous tribes.

Civilization has not yet begun because humans have not reached a sophisticated stage in our level of social development, he said.

In addition, he said we currently measure civilization by our level of technology, which is unfortunate because too much effort has been geared toward technology that could destroy ourselves.

LOVE NOTES

by Tiffany Rather

Hey, lovers! Are you looking for a way to make others in your life happy on Valentine's Day? How about giving them love letters. Better yet, give them musical love letters.

The Society of the Performing Arts, in collaboration with the UH School of Music, is presenting "Robert Schumann: Musical Letters, A Special Valentine's Day Conversation" by Jeffrey Siegel.

Robert Schumann captures the pure romantic spirit of the early 19th century in his compositions of love. Siegal will be trying to bring these compositions to 20th century life by adding his own colorful and imaginative keyboard style to Schumann's legends that were composed for the piano.

Siegal will perform Schumann's "Carnival," a masked ball with character portraits in musical tones, and the wonderfully expressive "Variations on a Theme, by Clara Wieck."

Wieck was known as Schumann's lover. Schumann's life and his love for Wieck will be a theme carried through the program, which also recognizes Schumann as being one of the greatest piano composers of all time.

The performance will take place at 4 p.m. Sunday in Dudley Recital Hall at UH. After the program, all audience members will be asked to join in a St. Valentine's Day Champagne Reception in the Blaffer Gallery.

Tickets are $12 and are available at Jones Hall's Houston Ticket Center, the Wortham Theater Center at UH and Ticket Master locations.

SLATER STARS IN LOVE STORY WITH HEART

by Sally Pouncy

Untamed Heart is the perfect movie date for Valentine's Day weekend.

Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei star as two unexpected lovebirds. Slater plays Adam, an adult orphan, who is quieter than a mouse. Adam has fallen in love with the big-hearted Caroline (Marisa Tomei), who has never noticed him until after she is dumped by her boyfriend.

The two work in a late night diner, and one night, Adam rescues Caroline from a disastrous fate. Only she does not realize he helped her until 20 minutes later. When she does find out, she is thankful and begins to spend more time with him, eventually falling in love.

The catch is he has a degenerative heart problem and will not try to get a transplant. The nuns at the orphanage he grew up in told him a fantastic tale about his heart condition, and he took it as if it were gospel.

Christian Slater makes a clean break from his usual smart- mouthed characters to play the soft-spoken, almost-never- speaking Adam. Slater is impressive in the role and deserves applause for picking this role.

Marisa Tomei is quickly proving she is a power to be reckoned with. Her performance in this movie is better than her work in My Cousin Vinny, proving she is not a one-movie wonder.

NO LOVE LOST IN COUNTIRES AROUND THE WORLD

by Yonca Poyraz Dogan

Valere, Mehmet, Babar, Johan, Samir and many other international students had never heard about Valentine's Day until they came to this country. Other students said they celebrated the holiday differently in their native countries.

Misa has a boyfriend in Japan, Chakib will go to a disco Sunday, Mehmet will be studying and Vaishali just doesn't feel anything special for the day.

"It's a commercial invention," said Valere Lounnas, a French graduate chemistry student.

French boys never wait until Valentine's Day to go out with girls, Lounnas said.

"The basic meaning of Valentine's Day is love. It is something positive. A lot of violence exists in this society. Not many people think about love," said Kubra Ali, a pre-med student.

"I think it has become artificial. Young people go to clubs to meet each other, but finding a deep emotion is difficult," said Samir Elamrani, a Moroccan graduate chemistry student.

People don't need to arrange a special day for dating any more, although they needed it in the past, Elamrani said.

During the spring flower festival in Morocco, young people from small villages have a chance to meet each other once a year, he said.

Well-dressed young girls, usually aged 16-18, meet boys from other villages at the town square. The meetings usually end with marriages, Elamrani said.

In Kubra Ali's native country of Pakistan, they have only religious holidays, she said.

Americans always set aside days to show affection because the family is apart, Ali said.

Mehmet Salih Koç didn't know about Valentine's Day until three years ago when he came to America from Turkey.

"I bought pink carnations for my ex-girlfriend. She was Turkish. She was shocked. She never expected such a thing. She liked it," Koç said.

"When I first heard about Valentine's Day, I found it strange and funny. Later on, I found out you can give gifts to anybody. I gave gifts to my friends in the office, although I had no romantic relationship," said Babar Jamil, a Pakistani student and a graduate in electrical engineering.

Johan Wahlberg, a junior RTV major, said he doesn't celebrate Valentine's Day like Americans; he just calls some friends.

"To me, it is a day for recognizing your friends," said Wahlberg, who is from Sweden.

Swedish people have "All Hearts Day" in which people are supposed to be extra kind to each other, he said.

Lots of ads appear one month before Valentine's Day, said Misa Morimoto, a Japanese English major.

American girls aren't shy, but Japanese girls are, Morimoto said. "On this day, girls can say, 'I love you' to someone they are interested in. Girls give chocolates to guys. I will send chocolates to my boyfriend in Japan," she said.

In Venezuela, boys give chocolates to their girlfriends, unlike the Japanese.

Chakib Abi-Saab, a Venezuelan student, said he plans to go to a disco with his friends on Valentine's Day.

"We don't have anything like that (Valentine's Day). Our culture is conservative. I don't think about it," said Vaishali Mewar, who is from India and a senior business major.

Mewar said he has been living in America since 1981 and received some flowers from friends when he was in high school.

INTRAMURALS TIP-OFF MIDSEASON HOOPS

The high-flying hoopsters of the intramural basketball leagues tip-off the third week of competition this weekend, marking the half-way point of the leagues' season.

With three weeks remaining until the finals, this weekend's games will separate the true contenders from the wannabes in all three leagues.

In the men's league, the Troops, ARA Towers and the Assassins fill out the top-three spots in both the writers' (intramurals staff) and team managers' polls.

The Troops are first in the managers' poll with ARA Towers taking second. The positions are switched in the writers' poll, with the Assassins claiming third place in both polls.

In both Fun League polls, Big Stiff Posse, 12-Pack and Asbury Jukes are first, second and third respectively.

In the 10-team Women's League, Home Girl Coalition is first in both polls. HPER Club ranks second in the writers' poll, and Lady Troops are second in the managers' poll.

Phi Beta Sigma leads Fraternity Division One with a 2-0 record. In Division Two, Sigma Nu and TKE Red lead with matching 2-0 records.

This week's top shooters in the Men's League include Chad Glessman, with 32 points for Sigma Nu-A, and John Donnelly, who put in 31 for Unfinished Business.

In the Fun League, Kelly Pham had 28 points for Brickhouse. The Women's league's top scorer was Lara Bankston with 21 points for Basic Instinct.

* * * * * * *

The intramural soccer tournament brackets will be available next week, and tournament play starts the weekend of Feb. 20.

* * * * * * * *

The Intramurals Department is still accepting entries for Co-Rec bowling, billiards and table tennis in room 102, Garrison Gym.

SIR LANCE(LOT)'S RED RAIDERS TO JOUST WITH HEALTHY COOGS

In the Middle Ages, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table championed the cause of freedom and justice for all of England.

This Saturday, King Will (Flemons) and his sidekick Sir Lance(lot) Hughes will be trying to free themselves and their fellow Red Raiders from the middle of the Southwest Conference pack when they face Houston noon Saturday at Hofheinz.

The Cougars, 13-6 (4-4), are headed back to conference play after a successful road trip to the west, where they defeated the Nevada-Reno Wolf Pack Monday, 92-80, and Cal State-Fullerton Wednesday, 77-63.

Houston needed the respite from its Texas rivals. Prior to the western swing, the Cougars dropped four straight conference games to Southern Methodist, Texas Tech, Rice and Texas Christian.

The Red Raiders, 11-8 (3-5), gave up a 105-102 overtime win to Baylor at home Saturday and lost a squeaker to SMU 78-75 at Moody Coliseum in Dallas Tuesday.

"We're going to have to play an outstanding basketball game both offensively and defensively," said Texas Tech coach James Dickey about the Houston game. "We've got to get tough on the boards."

The Red Raiders did well when they last met Houston, out-rebounding them 39-31. Flemons and Hughes combined for 17, and Tech escaped with a 78-74 victory.

But Hughes, Houston's nemesis, who scored 27 points in the Jan. 26 game, is questionable for Saturday's game because of a hip strain he received in the SMU match-up, Dickey said.

"He's the one we've got to be conscious of," Houston coach Pat Foster said. "He's a hot-and-cold player. When he's hot, he's dangerous."

Houston can be dangerous as well, something the players showed Wednesday when they sank a school-record 15 three-pointers, including seven by guard David Diaz.

What does coach Foster attribute to Houston's ability to refocus offensively?

"Jesse Drain and Derrick Smith are starting to shoot the ball well, beside the fact Anthony Goldwire got back healthy again," he said.

Goldwire had been struggling on offense while recovering from the flu, but Foster said the team is ready.

"We're as close to 100 percent as we've been all year," he said. "We'll have to play better defense. The last two games, our defense has really picked up. Playing at home is an obvious advantage."

Dickey said he isn't too thrilled about the prospects of beating Houston because the one thing his team is doing well is being inconsistent.

"We've just got to get refocused," he said.

The play of center Charles "Bo" Outlaw might also be a factor if the Cougars are to win. Outlaw has managed only eight points and 12 rebounds the last two games.

NCAA'S FUNDING PROPOSAL GIVES WOMEN'S ATHLETICS R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Rodney Dangerfield, Aretha Franklin and women's athletic programs around the country have quite a bit in common.

Wipe the puzzled look away and read on.

Dangerfield, the overweight and bulgy-eyed comic, is pursuing a lost cause when he continually begs for respect.

Aretha Franklin, the original natural woman, belts out a tune about the virtues of respect that makes most people fall on their knees and give her respect and anything else she wants.

As for women's athletic programs around the country, they too are finally taking one step closer to the respect they deserve.

In an attempt to bridge the gap between the sexes, the NCAA issued a tentative proposal that would equalize funding as well as give women's teams an increased access to the championship circle.

Men's athletic teams, which at most institutions garner more than half of the funding, are about to take a pay cut in some areas; in others, the funding for female teams will be increased to match the men's teams.

Growing zeal for women's sports has naturally turned into higher attendance at games, which translates into what really makes the world go around -- money.

With the changes occurring in the NCAA, women's sports such as basketball and volleyball will have more access to television viewers, making sure no one will complain about greater publicity for their sports.

At the University of Houston, attendance has gradually risen for both the volleyball and basketball teams over the past few years.

In the 1989-90 season, the basketball team averaged 425 per game; in the 1990-91 season, attendance grew to 485 fans, and during 1991-92, attendance grew to a whopping 767 fans. Hofheinz hasn't been the same since.

The volleyball team has witnessed a 51 percent attendance increase over the past two years.

Coach Bill Walton, head of the volleyball program, lent some insight into the women's movement on the court.

"There is a large grass-roots following for women's sports. It is exciting and interesting; it has just taken awhile for it to catch on."

The new proposal would expand the basketball tournament field from 48 to 64 teams next season. The logistics for the plan have not been finalized yet, but Houston basketball coach Jessie Kenlaw sees a bright future.

"This will give a lot more teams the opportunity to participate in the tournament. This is a good indication as to how women's basketball has progressed over the years."

Gender equity is something women's athletic programs are definitely interested in. At Houston, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

"We do get what we need; however, decisions like this will help women's programs at other places," Kenlaw said.

If Aretha knows about the new NCAA changes, she probably let out a resounding "You go girl!" to all the women athletes involved in collegiate sports. That is, right after she spells out R-E-S-P-E-C-T, loud and clear.