VAGUE ESTIMATES DELAY ATHLETIC/ALUMNI CENTER

by Robert Arnold

The proposed $25 million athletic/alumni center set for ground-breaking in May has been postponed for one year because of budgeting and scheduling problems.

According to Jim Berry, associate vice president for facilities planning and construction, plans for the new center underwent cost estimates, and the construction portion is over budget.

Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for administration and finance, said the plans came in over budget because UH received nonspecific cost estimates from Hines Interests, a consulting firm.

"Nothing new has been added to the plans to make the center come in over budget. We basically got bad estimates from Hines."

Charles Baughan, project manager from Hines, declined to comment.

Boyd said the project is almost $3 million over budget. The original budget was $25.5 million, money donated by UH alumni John and Rebecca Moores.

Ed Whalen, vice chancellor for administration and finance, said the donation has been invested in an endowment fund.

Whalen predicts a return of 9 percent over the next year on the money in the fund. He said that return would provide the $3 million needed.

Bill McGillis, interim athletic director, said the first phase of building the new center begins with tearing down the current tennis courts and baseball field to build the indoor practice field.

McGillis said since UH will not begin construction in May, the first phase has to wait until the end of tennis and baseball seasons.

He said the tennis courts are needed for physical education classes and the tennis team, whose seasons ends in early April. The baseball field is needed until the end of baseball season in late April or early May.

McGillis said the Athletic Department will try to schedule the baseball team's last few games for the road. This will allow the first phase of construction to begin in late April 1994.

"We are trying to not rush anything because we want a facility that is as good as any in the country," McGillis said.

David Keith, vice president of external affairs, said there will be an informal ground-breaking ceremony this May "to prove to everyone that we are committed to building the facility." The date of the ceremony has not been set.

*******************************************************

ASIANA BORN THROUGH RTV LAB

by Joanna Davila

Radio/TV students enrolled in media production classes are not just sitting in the classroom taking notes. They are getting hands-on experience in producing a TV program while introducing a touch of Indian culture to the Houston community.

The program, called <i>Asiana<p>, is crewed entirely by students. The class meets every Thursday night to put together and tape the program, which is then aired on various cable channels several times a week.

Kathy Hargrave, RTV professor and producer of <i>Asiana<p>, says the students gain valuable professional experience not usually available in a classroom.

"My class fills up all the crew positions in <i>Asiana<p>. They get experience in what it takes to run a show," Hargrave said.

The students are also bridging a gap between Indian and American cultures. Carl Ferraro, assistant professor of RTV and executive producer of <i>Asiana<p>, said he believes introducing Asian culture to Houston is an important part of the project.

"The program is an inter-cultural project that fosters an understanding of the Indian culture. It is about people talking and coming together to look at a culture we have little knowledge of," he said.

The weekly one-hour show consists of entertainment, dances, music videos, community bulletins and news from India and neighboring countries.

Peter Shores, a senior RTV major and production manager for <i>Asiana<p>, said <i>Asiana<p> is a great way to get involved at UH and wants to encourage students to volunteer.

"We welcome any students or campus organizations with an Indian-subcontinent background to perform, share their culture with the community or promote their organization on the show," Shore said.

<i>Asiana<p>, which is directed by Ward Booth, an RTV student, is a university project funded by a grant administered by Ferraro. The grant comes from Asiana Television, a non-profit organization.

"This show is real, our people are good, and we're proving it," Ferraro said, referring to the show's Arbitron share (of the viewing audience) last Sunday. "We guestimate there are 40,000 people in this major market watching the show every week," he said. "That's significant considering that students work on the show out of a UH laboratory."

To ensure <i>Asiana<p> keeps running, a gala was held Friday night at the Westin Galleria. Among the guests at this black-tie affair were such prominent Houstonians as Mayor Bob Lanier, who was the keynote speaker, and the Indian ambassador, who was the guest speaker. Students attended and taped portions of the gala for <i>Asiana<p>.

<i>Asiana<p> airs at 9 a.m. Sundays on Channel 49 and again daily on Warner Cable, Channel 3 (cable-ready) and Channel 14 (converter box).

SA BILLS ATTACK SMOKING POLICY, UNHEALTHY FOOD

Six bills concerning the quality of student life were introduced at Monday night's SA meeting.

Five of the bills were introduced by Senator Shane Patrick Boyle, who took stands on fair student representation in SA, making KUHF a student-run radio station, providing healthier food in UH restaurants, opposing the new smoking policy and eliminating party politics from SA elections.

Bill #290015 asks that any student presenting legislation to SA need not be sponsored by a senator. Boyle believes students can express their concerns better than a representative and that the need for a sponsor creates a wall between students and SA. "Students can introduce something to the floor by simply requesting that it be looked at, but unless a senator sponsors it, it may not actually be debated," said Senator Jeff Fuller, from the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

Boyle made a last-minute attempt to pass a bill mandating a less-restrictive smoking policy. The new policy, which bans all smoking inside any campus building, goes into effect March 1. Boyle said he believes the UH administration has no right to "legislate morality" or make health decisions for students. He believes designated smoking areas would take care of the problem.

"Last year, there was a smoking poll done during SA elections. Forty-three percent of the students were in favor of banning smoking, and another 30 percent of the students agreed that they would like to see further regulations," Fuller said.

The issue of itemized student fees was introduced by Senator Cipriano Romero in bill #29009. Romero believes that since every student pays these fees and that they directly influence the quality of the services they receive, they should know exactly where their money is going.

The fees fund athletics, SA, Counseling and Testing and the Student Programing Board.

SA BILL TO LIMIT PERMITS, SMOOTH PARKING WOES

By Rivka Gewirtz

While the Nov. 23 Students' Association bill to solve UH's parking problems sits in committee, students are scrambling to find spaces during peak hours.

According to Gerald Hagan, director of Parking and Transportation, 2.3 parking permits are issued per parking space in the inlying lots. This means that for 11,000 spaces, between 24,000 and 25,000 permits are given out.

"The ratio given does not determine capacity. These permits are good for the whole academic day; not all students are on campus at the same time," Hagan said.

The SA bill called for a reduction in the number of parking permits issued. The bill would go into effect for the 1993-94 academic year and would gradually reduce the amount of permits issued to a level 10 percent more than available spaces, down from 130 percent.

"There would be too many empty spaces left if we only sold 10 percent over. We have surveyed lots during peak hours, and there are empty spaces in economy lots; it's just a question of convenience," Hagan said.

The economy lots are located on Wheeler, Elgin and Scott streets. Hagan said congestion in these lots is believed to be lessened because fewer people like to park far away from campus. The ratio of permits in these lots is 1.8 permits to every space, he added.

A proposed alternative to selling fewer permits and building new lots has been building a parking structure.

"We can't build a structure because the costs are too high. To build a regular parking lot, it costs $1200 per space; to build a parking structure, it costs $10,000 per space," said SA senator Greg Propes, the bill's author.

"If it means giving students the bang for the buck, then maybe there should be some empty spots," Propes said.

The only solution Parking and Transportation sees to the problem is better planning by students.

"We can't accommodate everybody conveniently, but students should buy permits according to their schedules," Hagan said.

"Some students arrive at 8 a.m. on most days and 11 a.m. on some days. They may not want to downgrade their permits just for those days, but the options are there for students to downgrade up until 21 days into the semester," he added.

The bill is expected to return to the senate floor at the March 8 SA meeting.

"We are still doing research into our numbers. From talking to Hagan, I see that my numbers were off, but there is a problem here. Students still can't find parking," Propes said.

'THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR'

AFRICAN STUDIES PROF COMMITS HIS LIFE TO BLACKS' PLIGHT

by Connie Barrera

Morris Graves, associate director of the African-American Studies Program, said this about his position as a faculty member at UH: "This is my life; this is what I love; this is what I live for."

Graves was born in Phoenix, Arizona, and came to UH in 1980. After four years here, he took a four-year leave of absence and returned in 1988 to serve as activities advisor for the Campus Activities Department. He was then promoted to assistant director of Campus Activities.

Graves said his job is a personal commitment. "I was making lots of money when I left UH in 1984, but I wasn't enjoying it."

Graves said he came back to fulfill an absence, adding that the university provides the intellectual stimulation he needed because students are "constantly challenging you, and I love that. It's the life pulse; it's the life blood. I get up every morning looking forward to coming to work. It's like Christmas. I know every day is going to be different."

As a child, Graves' role models were athletes. As he grew up, his views of society changed because society "justified its discrimination against people based on skin color and/or social class." Malcom X became his role model.

While a student at Fitzer College in California, Graves first became politically involved when he worked with Cesar Chavez and his farm workers movement to fight oppression. Graves became more militant and joined the Black Panther Party and Students for a Democratic Society.

The Black Panthers, according to Graves, were considered by the FBI to be the most radical black group in America. Members carried guns, defended themselves against the police and kept police out of their neighborhoods. SDS was a radical white group.

"The more I read, the more I began to realize how American society was built. I was a Marxist in those days."

Graves said Marxism was very appealing to young intellectuals because "for the first time in your life, you're given an analytical tool in which to look at the entire world and be able to understand events."

Graves eventually saw that Marxism was not a solution to the world's problems as he read works by many African writers challenging Marxism.

He became involved in the black studies program in college and saw it as a "consciousness-raising situation," he said. "You go in reading books you've never seen before, and you began to look at things in a very different light."

These "things," according to Graves, were feelings that "virtually every black American had gone through at some point in their life, and so you weren't out there by yourself; you weren't crazy; you weren't stupid"

Graves said the black studies program raised his consciousness about who he was. He said it made him realize it wasn't his fault for feeling the way he felt because he lived in a society that had been teaching him he was worthless. He said African Americans were constantly fighting to overcome that sense of worthlessness.

Graves said Black History Month is necessary because it's not recognized nationally as an opportunity to observe the contributions of African Americans to society and to the country. "It would be nice if we didn't have to set aside one month," he said, adding that the ideal situation would be for everyone to recognize black history in all fields of endeavor so that it was an ongoing process.

"But the reality is it's not, and so we use February as a month to do that," he said.

In his leisure time, Graves enjoys fishing, reading and spending time with his family.

During the summer, he requires the two youngest of his four children to read books and get involved in educational activities. "It's very important," he said. "Parents try to prepare their kids for the things they're going to face."

One day, according to Graves, as his mother heard him speak and also had read one of the articles he had written, she recalled a childhood incident when he was about five or six years old. She said he came home from school crying and saying, "I wish I was white."

She asked why he wished that, and his response was, "Because Superman is white, and all the good guys on television are white."

Graves does not allow his two younger children to watch a lot of TV. "If a controversy arises, we discuss the roles of the characters, particularly if they're black," he said.

Graves said a piece of advice that sticks in his head is something his father always used to tell him: "If you're going to do a job, do it right the first time so you don't have to go back and do it again."

That advice certainly never left him because, according to Graves, "My job is never done." He said he is committed to the AAS Program for at least another three years because there are still some things that "I feel have to happen for this program to be well-established."

He said he would like to see the program as a resource for Houston to help solve problems through faculty expertise, research and data collection. He said this would help the educational, political, religious and social communities.

"I believe very strongly that the role of leadership is to prepare the next generation to take over. When I walk away from here, or if I die in this job, I want to know that I left it in good hands, and that's important -- that's a personal thing for me," he said.

Graves earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Pitzer College and a master's degree in American government from Claremont University.

CLASS MAKES PACT PORN STUDENTS MUM ABOUT XXX RESEARCH

by Marla M. Crawford

A professor and his students this semester have agreed not to divulge any information about their class, RTV 4397: Pornography, Media and Community Standards.

"We have agreed not to be interviewed and not to reveal what goes on inside class," said William Hawes, professor of communication. "We want to preserve the integrity of the classroom and to protect the identity of the participants during the semester.

Hawes said students will conduct research and collectively produce a report that examines the issue of pornography in mainstream media.

"The purpose of the class is broadened this semester to include mainstream TV and film, as well as sexually explicit film," he added.

Hawes has taught the class twice before. The 1975 class focused on adult cinema, he said, while the 1982 class added adult bookstores to the curriculum.

Research findings were published following each of the earlier classes and edited by Hawes. The reports detailed the techniques used to gather information and offered conclusions based on that research.

According to "Pornography Cinema, Community Standards," the 1982 published report, students individually watched 16 films outside of class and submitted reviews, which include researcher comments and evaluations about the film's continuity and value. Types of sexual contact, simulated or actual, are also stated.

"At no time should any member of our research group be in danger. It was always recommended they go in groups of two or three when doing research," Hawes said.

The 1982 report included on-site surveys at theaters and adult bookstores.

Students also asked the management if the theaters sold sex novelties, and they rated the theaters' toilets, lobbies, door locks and carpets. Building maintenance and "respectability" were also considered.

The checklist for the adult bookstores included questions about the lighting in the parking lot and the types of sexually explicit merchandise sold, and students asked the management if the booths could be locked and if they could accommodate more than one person.

In telephone surveys, respondents were asked about their viewing habits, if any, concerning sexually explicit films. Those surveyed were also asked their opinions about zoning ordinances.

"In 1975, there was a concern in the city that there were more than 30 theaters showing sexually explicit films," Hawes said.

"There was a big fuss about what to do with all these businesses," he added. "In 1982, there was a decline in the number of adult cinemas, and some theaters were later remodeled into bookstores that also sold videos for private use."

The current study will be concerned with changes that have occurred in the marketplace since the 1982 study, Hawes said.

The first day of class, students are told what they will be doing, Hawes said, giving them a chance to change their minds, "so that no one is inadvertently offended."

The agreement not to speak about the class is also made the first day. Students are asked if there are any objections to the agreement.

Hawes said students were harassed in the past. "I don't want that burden placed on the class," he said. "There is the possibility of jeopardizing our research.

"We're not really trying to hide anything -- just trying to do the work without media attention."

HRM STUDENTS NETWORK AT JOB FAIR

by Christine Law

Forty-seven hotel and restaurant organizations attended the 10th annual UH Hotel and Restaurant Management Career Fair.

According to Mary Douglas, UH Director of Placement Services, approximately 90 percent of HRM students and alumni are offered jobs as a result of the fair.

Jobs offered at each fair have included positions in accounting, human resources, sales/marketing, front-office and room divisions.

These job opportunities are of great importance to HRM students. Aside from establishing contacts and providing experience in the field, the positions offered at the fairs help students complete the 800 hours of practical training required to graduate.

The organizations represented at the fairs are members of the hospitality program and work in cooperation with UH in the area of internships.

According to Devi Sunderaj, Career Fair president, a major part of the hospitality industry is networking. "(The Career Fair) is one of the greatest networking tools that (we) can provide to students," Sunderaj said.

"Ordinarily, people will graduate and start looking for jobs, and they'll have to send out their resumes and get contact names," Sunderaj said. At the fairs, students have the opportunity to get to know recruiters and start their job-searching earlier.

Barbara Solmon, Career Fair vice-president, said students would be able to get to know various companies and vice versa. After reviewing students' resumes, the companies choose names for interviews sometime before May.

However, students should know they may not get instant results. "A lot of students come in thinking that they're going to go in and get a job interview right away. We're trying to dissuade that," Solmon added.

The chief expectation students should have about the fairs is getting a better idea about who they would like to work for when they graduate, she said.

CRIME BRIEFS

Sherry Benitez, a Spanish major who took a picture of Ethel Ann Morris before Morris allegedly shot her Feb. 5, was released from Hermann Hospital Feb. 13, hospital officials said.

Charges of attempted murder are still pending against Morris, 22, who is free on $5,000 bond.

Carlos Benitez, a 27-year-old sophomore psychology major and Sherry's husband, said they both knew Morris, and he said he didn't believe she shot his wife.

Robert McWhorter, attorney for Sherry Benitez, did not wish to comment because of a gag order issued during their child-custody hearing.

"The order restrains anyone involved in the case from talking to the press, including witnesses, the jury, the participants and myself," McWhorter said.

• • • •

Pharmacy professor William McCormick, a former dean of the College of Pharmacy, was released from Ben Taub's intensive care unit Feb. 11 after being admitted for a bullet wound. Houston police said the injury was self-inflicted.

McCormick was admitted to Hermann Hospital the same day and is listed in stable condition. "He's walking and talking and doing fine," said McCormick's nurse, who wished to be unnamed.

McCormick was injured Feb. 8 in the College of Pharmacy's parking lot at the Texas Medical Center.

• • • •

Six vehicles in various lots on campus fell victim to thieves this weekend via thefts and burglaries.

According to UHPD's crime bulletin, the first vehicle was discovered stolen Friday after being towed by Parking and Transportation.

Two burglaries were committed by the same person in lot 12A. The suspect was arrested and also charged with evading arrest Sunday at 9 p.m.

In the same lot Sunday at 11:15 p.m, a vehicle was stolen and later recovered.

Lot 1A was the scene Sunday at noon of another car theft. Shortly after, another vehicle was burglarized in lot 20B between 1:30 p.m. and 6:43 p.m. Sunday.

CATHOLIC-STUDENT MEET COMES TO HOUSTON

by Tammy Gamble

Teaching Texas college students the value of volunteering in their community will be the aim of the Texas Catholic Student Conference March 12-14 in Houston.

"We want the students to see that being a person of grace and peacefulness can bring peace and reconciliation in the world," Rev. Henry Beck said.

The 20-year-old conference is co-sponsored by the Catholic Student Associations at UH and Rice University. More than 450 college students from throughout Texas are expected to attend.

Beck, a UH campus minister, said students will participate in either interest sessions or off-site volunteer projects during the conference.

"The conference will build the theme of "The Spirit Is Alive" from last year by strengthening and encouraging the life of God's spirit in all who come," he said.

The interest sessions, which will be held at Rice, pertain to modern-day national problems, Beck added. Students chose two out of 15 possible seminars to attend on the Saturday morning of the conference, he said.

Sister Deborah Clark, Rice campus minister, said she wants participants to share their faith with other students who can relate to college life and to learn more about Catholic life. "The interest sessions are a way to put your faith in action," Clark said.

Beginning this year, students wanting hands-on, volunteer experience can choose to work at one of two off-site projects instead of attending interest sessions. "The volunteer projects include framing a house for Habitat for Humanity or serving lunch to the homeless at a soup kitchen near the Rice campus," Beck said.

The idea behind offering the off-site work is for some students to experience the lessons other students are taught in the interest session, he said.

Students are encouraged to talk to students in other groups and combine what they have learned, Beck added. "We want the students to remember that people of faith can choose to live simply so others can simply live," he said.

The conference will include keynote speeches that will teach students to combine all the lessons they learn at the conference and use them when they get home, Beck added.

The Rice and UH Catholic Association students plan the entire conference with some guidance from campus ministers. Maffie Kniery, budget and finance chairperson, said fund-raisers are helping to fund the conference. "We held a dance on Feb. 5 on campus, and we are currently selling non-denominational T-shirts," Kniery said.

The UH Catholic Student Association may also have an auction before the conference to help raise money, Kniery added.

Rev. John Logan, director of the UH Catholic Newman Center, said the association began 35 years ago as a ministry out of St. Mary's Parish. In 1976, the building they now occupy was built, he said. "An estimated 20 percent of UH enrollment is Roman Catholic, with most Catholic students commuting to campus," Logan added.

SOULJAH ON RACIAL WAR

One of the simplest of questions seemed to take her aback.

After her speech titled "A Push for Unity," which was delivered Wednesday in the Houston room of the UC, a high school freshman asked Sister Souljah if she had a fear of being assassinated.

She answered the question by rewording a quote taken from the oration of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered on the eve of his assassination. "Like any woman, I would like to live a long life," she said.

"Death in the African tradition is the continuum of life," she said during her speech in which her fiery, persuasive speaking style led some audience members to cry "tell the truth, sister."

She called herself a soldier in an army to liberate people of her race. A black soldier clad in black clothing. Black leather jacket. Black shoes. Black T-shirt. Black jeans.

Some, including President Bill Clinton, say she wears the black-racist label well.

She fired back by labelling former President George Bush an "active, unapologetic" racist and his successor a "passive" racist. She said the two leaders' policies of turning Haitian refugees away are an example of their negative attitude toward people in the black community.

In one of her songs, she raps "Crackers don't do anything unless there's something in it for them/They form charities because they get salaries and it's/ tax deductible/They give you scholarships to their schools so you can learn to think and act like them/ So that they can use you against your people like these pitiful/ Black mayors and Clarence Thomas."

In her rap titled "Brainteasers And Doubtbusters," she gives her own definition of racism.

"Am I a Black racist? No! Not unless you believe in/ the boogeyman/ There's no such thing as a Black racist!/Racism and white supremacy are systems of power/ That deny the majority of black people throughout the entire world/ The right to life freedom, proper education/To control our own ideas and thoughts, and the ability/ to make money/ And control our own religion and culture," she said.

She received two standing ovations from the audience for her presentation. Sister Souljah made it clear, however, that when she said we, she meant people in the black community.

In an interview conducted after her speech, Sister Souljah elaborated on some of the points made during the address.

"Well, I don't agree that physical slavery no longer exists because I think of the problems we have with police brutality, incarceration and all those things," she said, expounding on her belief that conditions of mental and physical slavery exist in the United States.

Sister Souljah, who attended programs at such predominantly white institutions as Cornell University, the University of Salamanca in Spain and majored in history while attending Rutgers University, said black students at predominantly white institutions can take one of two paths.

"I think you should be more equipped because you're in the belly of the beast. You're dealing with white racism on campus, so that should help you to conquer white racism in the world at large," she said, referring to black students attending UH.

"However, I think as long as you have your eyes closed, you will be poorly equipped. That means that only if you don't want to see racism and you refuse to acknowledge it."

A few of the white students in attendance at her lecture questioned her, saying she brought a message of hate to the campus.

One student doubted her ability to make constructive criticism, another asked why she didn't seem to appreciate help of whites in the liberation movement and in the solving of everyday problems in the black community.

In response to one seemingly frustrated woman, she said white people who lend their services should not expect congratulations when they contribute to causes and movements.

She told one white student of German heritage that he, of all people, did not have the right to criticize her.

However, she did seem to receive a more positive reception from many of the black students who listened and spoke with her after her speech.

In her interview, also spoke in reverential tones of the women who came before her and the others she admires.

"I admire all of them: the Nzinga. There are so many. I admire any African woman whether she's popular or not popular, if she exercises the power that is part of her heritage. She could be somebody's mother. Somebody in the community. A queen," Sister Souljah said.

"She could be Harriet Tubman. Any African woman that has the power that is part of her original nature, who uses it to save her man and her children."

INTERTRIBAL COUNCIL EYES UH

by Rhonda Compton

The Intertribal Council of Houston is looking to establish an organization at UH that will provide for their cultural, medical and humanitarian needs.

Chartered in 1978, the organization works on behalf of Native Americans in Houston and surrounding areas, said Judy Todacheene, coordinator of Intertribal Council of Houston.

"Our organization would be good to have for students at UH and the community. It will draw attention to UH and different organizations will benefit. Of the Mexican-American students at UH, 80 percent have some Indian in them," said Todacheene.

Leona M. Urbish, acting director of the office of Planning and Policy Analysis, said, "As of fall 1992, UH had 181 Native Americans enrolled."

There are more than 52 tribes and 10,000 Native Americans in Houston and the surrounding area. Todacheene said the younger generation has lost touch (with their heritage), and this center would benefit them by providing educational programs, a library to trace their roots, a museum, arts, crafts, social service, medical services, dental services and optometry services and possible internships for UH students.

"Since Houston does not have an Indian center, this organization would give people a place to go and learn about their culture," she said.

Jerald Strickland, dean of the College of Optometry, said, "We at the Eye Institute at UH work closely with the Alabama Coshatta Indians in Livingston, Texas. We have many of them come out here for eye care. I feel that it is important for them to have a center for cultural and health needs."

SCHOLARSHIPS!

by James Alexander

Springtime is near, and now is the time for students to apply for academic scholarships for the 1993-94 academic year.

The majority of scholarship applications are due between February and June, said UH scholarship administrator Norma Trahan.

Many students aren't aware that they may be eligible for scholarships, and there's such a wide range of recipient categories, she added.

Categories include, but are not limited to, ethnic, gender, fraternal, handicapped, military, religion, employer, honor programs and specific field of study.

Eligibility requirements can include a GPA minimum, letters of recommendation by faculty, transcripts and/or examples of academic work or projects.

Although Trahan's department, located in room 23 of the E. Cullen Building, handles mainly freshman scholarships, her office can assist anyone seeking scholarship information.

"Students who are already enrolled may want to check with their specific colleges," Trahan said. "Many scholarship fliers and applications are distributed to the dean's office and/or administration offices of the individual schools."

"A resource that is available to students in M.D. Anderson Library is the <i>Scholarships, Fellowships and Loans<p> book. It contains a list of national scholarships that exist for both undergraduate and post-graduate," she said.

Bulletin boards, such as the one in front of her department office, are where one can find individual donor scholarship information, Trahan added.

Among the scholarship announcements on the board are those available to art students, Afro-Americans studying music, students in mechanical engineering programs and accounting students.

Some upcoming application deadlines and their colleges are: Feb. 15, for two College of Education awards; Feb. 24, for many School of Communication scholarships; and Feb. 26, for over 45 scholarships offered to College of Business Administration students.

For more information on scholarships, call the scholarships office at 743-9051 or inquire within the colleges of the appropriate field of study.

OFF-BEAT FADS IN BLOOM

CPS -- Want to be the first on your campus to set the trends? Well, take a power nap, down a smart drink, slap on your clogs and prepare to "rave on" to the newest fads springing up around the nation.

One of the most intriguing trends is the new night-life off-campus. "Raves" have blossomed at warehouses and other large hideaways as spontaneous underground parties that are often advertised on fliers just hours before the fun begins. Party promoters, known as "crews," put on shows featuring hypnotic, pulsating music, ranging from hip hop to house to techno music.

The trend, which originated in England, has spread to the West and East Coasts and major metropolitan cities in the United States.

While many ravers simply dance and enjoy the music, others combine the experience with the illegal psychedelic drug called ecstasy. The drug supposedly adds to the bizarre atmosphere of the event. Often, raves can last all night long, with the dancers spinning themselves into a state of altered consciousness. In fact, some ravers use the word "spiritual" to describe the group experience.

"This one rave I went to was called 'Shiva's Erotic Banquet,' " said Tina Farahnik, 18, a sophomore at California State University, Northridge. Farahnik paid $20 for the experience. "There was a whole bunch of people. There was a dance room, strobe-light rooms, a body-paint room, a Timothy Leary reading. There were people going around trying to feed you fruits and grapes."

Raving apparel may vary, although stocking caps, whistles around the neck, black outerwear, bell-bottom jeans, platform shoes -- anything with the '70s look -- are common.

"I went to (a rave) that was outside at a farm," said one student, who asked not to be identified. "I think there were cows or something. I really don't remember much."

Raving is not the only fad to surface recently. To help rejuvenate those memory cells, young people have begun to guzzle "smart drinks," a new trend in beverages that contain amino acids and other natural ingredients deigned to induce chemical reactions in the brain that supposedly make you think clearer.

While some dismiss the idea as a "pet rock" type trend that will fade, others are taking it more seriously. "I have a friend who wants to open a 'smart bar,'" said Beatrice Makabeh, 19, a student at Cal State, Northridge.

Another new drink that is appealing to students' natural instincts is "Zima," a clear, filtered malt liquor that tastes like citrus-flavored mineral water.

Perhaps the best thing about many of the new trends is that they don't' cost a lot of money. Many are new twists on "reverb" (reverberation) trends from the past.

Fashion is one of those categories, particularly when it comes to shoes. While shoe stores across the country are ordering Birkenstock sandals to catch up with last year's trend, some females are digging into their parent's closets and pulling out their old platform shoes, go-go boots and clogs from the 1970s.

"The '70s is totally in now," says Brooke Haber, 19, a Cal State, Northridge student who sports a black winter coat to match a sexy "beatnik"-style long black haircut and rose-colored lipstick.

For futuristic-minded pedestrians, rollerblades not only remain popular, they have evolved into a sport. Rollerblade hockey leagues are springing up on California campuses.

And if that's not enough of a kick for an athlete, fans of "hackey sack," a melon-sized wicker ball, may soon have something to jump for joy about -- again. Sepak takraw, a Far Eastern game of hackey sack volleyball, is attracting young athletes. Played with a low net, the game lets players literally kick with their feet, butt with their heads -- whatever it takes -- to get the ball over the net without using hands or arms.

Another foreseeable trend is less painful and more practical. If you are one of those who has problems reading your own class notes, get ready for the next brainstorm in artificial intelligence. Students will soon be able to buy a small, portable electronic notepad that translates your scribbles into the English language. It even translates graphics for those pie charts your instructor always draws on the chalkboard.

"I think that's going to be a killer item. It's one of the things I think students are going to like," said Danny Marder, 22, a salesman at a computer store that caters to college students in Los Angeles.

Sometimes, translating notes in not half so hard as translating the trendy, new slang words. Some California students provided us with a taste of slang words that are now catching on, although, thanks to MTRV, you may have already heard some of them.

The new slang could be particularly handy for social occasions. Beautiful women, for instance, are now complimented as "nectar." Handsome males are "fine" or "freaks." Unattractive people are "to the curve." Flirting is "workin' it." Making out is "mashing" or "grinding."

The new slang words also describe good and bad events. Good events or things are "dope." Bad events or things are "weak sauce." "Right on" is "that's sweet." "That's awesome" is "that's the bomb." "That's awful" is "that trifling." People who "got dogged" had an embarrassing moment. When something is stolen, someone "jacked" it.

If this trendy forecast feels too overwhelming to remember, don't get "frusty" (a new slang word for frustrated). There's a new California trend that can help you cope with this stress, as well as many of the other stresses of being a student. It's called the "power nap."

"Power-napping is a big thing," said a 21-year-old student at California State University, Chico, who identified himself only as Jason.

Taking 15- and 30- minute snoozes during the day is definitely a trend, according to Jason. "You've been in class, you've got a break, you go home and take a nap and you feel better. That's along the wellness theme. That's definitely a '90s type of thing."

MORE PE URGED FOR STUDENTS

by Connie Barrera

Physical education in college may fulfill more than just a university requirement.

Liz Jambor, teaching fellow in health and human performance, said the PE requirement should be increased to maintain a healthy activity level in students. "People's activity level goes down with age.

"Physical education in college is a good way to be active and to be introduced to different activities. Many college students are out of shape."

Ester Weekes, also a teaching fellow, said the requirement is there to "expose students to activities so that they can adapt them as lifestyle changes and to let them know that they are in control of the risk factors."

Heart disease can effect people early in life, according to Jambor. People as young as 30 years old have died of heart attacks, she said. "Exercise makes the body fit, strong and less prone to cardiovascular disease. Students should make changes now, when it's easier, for the future."

Students should control their weight by exercising more and decreasing their fat intake to 40 grams per day she said. "Exercise is extremely important to students. Some freshmen gain the 'college 20,' for example. They need to increase the exercise and decrease the fat."

Weekes said students who exercise outside of PE class might do so for various reasons.

"Some exercise because of peer pressure from the media, maybe to look a certain way, or, in some cases, to find a partner. I'm not sure if health is the issue."

College students can especially benefit from daily exercise of at least three or four times a week for 30 minutes to help them deal with stress, according to Jambor. "While you are exercising, the mind is not dealing with problems and you are away from stress for that moment."

Theory Class 1101 is a pending PE requirement that may take effect in fall '93. According to Jambor, students would be required to take the course and then choose any other to fulfill the two-hour PE requirement. "The course would provide students with vital health and fitness information, such as how cardiovascular disease is easily prevented."

BAR ASSOCIATION FORGES PUBLIC RELATIONS CAMPAIGN

by Rafe Wooley

The American Bar Association is planning a new public relations campaign designed to improve the relationship between lawyers and the public and to emphasize the positive aspects of the profession.

The ABA's attempt to change the public's negative perceptions about lawyers is a good idea, said Richard Alderman, UH professor of law.

Alderman, also known as Channel 13's "The People's Lawyer," said it is possible for a public relations campaign to change the public's negative perceptions about lawyers.

"It certainly wouldn't hurt," Alderman said. "For example, I offer free advice on television. I think television can be a great public relations tool for lawyers," he said.

The ABA's public relations campaign may include producing television programs offering practical advice, such as how to choose a lawyer, said Michael T. Scanlon, the ABA's new media expert.

"It is important that the ABA develop better communication with the public. We need to rebuild the public's trust," Scanlon said.

Scanlon admits that good public relations alone won't give lawyers a better image.

"Many improvements must be made within the legal system itself," Scanlon said. Unethical lawyers are one of the biggest problems, and states need to open up their processes for judging them," he said.

Cayhan Parsi, a UH law student, said a public relations campaign will be ineffective.

"Most people have already formed their opinions about lawyers from movies and television. They're probably not going to change their minds," Parsi said.

He said the negative perceptions of lawyers are probably not going to change a student's mind about entering law school.

"Before I got into law school, I had an uninformed opinion about lawyers and the legal system. I think this is true for most people," Parsi said.

He said many of the public's negative perceptions stem from lawyers who are only concerned about large settlements and not about the people involved.

Law Center Associate Dean Laura Rothstein said lawyers could benefit from positive publicity.

"The profession isn't perfect; we have a lot of bad apples, but we also have a lot of good attorneys that have a social conscience," Rothstein said.

"Richard Alderman is a good example of a positive role model for attorneys, Rothstein said.

She said Alderman is an example of how lawyers can effectively use the media to improve public relations.

MALCOLM 'X' CAPS SPAWN DERIVATIVES, SPOOFS

CPS - First, there were just plain baseball caps. You wore them backward, jauntily sideways or bill front. However you wore them, they were the national symbol for "cool."

Then film director, Spike Lee, kicked off a national trend when he added an "X" to cap in honor of the late political activist Malcolm X. Student, mostly black, followed suit.

And in no time, supposedly inspired by the tic-tac-toe game "O" caps showed up.

Voila! The lowly baseball cap is elevated to a political statement.

"I think these ('O') caps signify a saturation with the 'X' icon," said Herman Beavers, an African-American professor who teaches English at the University of Pennsylvania. "When a symbol reaches a point where it's more than the market can bear, it can function as a lampoon."

But some don't think lampooning is a good idea in today's sensitive racial climate.

"People wear the 'X' cap with pride, " said Andrew Kimbrough, the proprietor of The Joint, a Seattle boutique that sells Malcolm X gear to University of Washington students.

"The people who wear 'X' gear are saying they stand behind all Malcolm X wa," Kimbrough said.

"Its just not a good time to be making jokes. Some people could take offense with these other caps,." Kimbrough said noting that some merchants are attempting to make money on the problem of racism.

One Waukegan, Ill., businessman is now marketing a black baseball cap with a white 'E," but he insists he is not exploiting the country's troubled racial climate.

"It is a white 'E' or in plain English, it says 'whitey'" said Robert Columbia, owner of Columbia Family Enterprises.

"We market other caps too," Columbia said. "One has a green 'GO' on a white cap for Hispanics. We tried it out on some, and they thought it was funny," Columbia said.

"'X' caps don't offend me. If you call me a white, that's not offensive to me either," Columbia said, noting that his company sells what he calls a "harmony" shirt that sports a whit 'E' on a black background and a black 'E' on a white background. "Blackey and whitey, you see." he explained.

Columbia plans to market the "whitey" cap at truck-stops and bars.

"I have people as me, 'Don't you feel bad making money off this (racial) situation?' I tell them that's not what I'm doing This is strictly a marketing thing."

But not everyone wants to sell Columbia's hats.

"We would not sell them," said Kimbrough who owns the shop with his sister, who is a graduate student at the University of Washington. "It's too critical a time to sell something like that. Not in today's society."