FUND-RAISING EVENT CHALLENGES SENIORS

by Charlotte Pennye

A dollar definitely does not buy as much as it once did, but a $20 contribution made today can provide future scholarships and library improvements.

The Senior Challenge 1993 is a fund-raising campaign sponsored by UH's Student Foundation. This will be the third year the event has taken place, but the need for more campus-wide involvement remains strong, said Don Easterling, a senior economics major and chairman of the Library Committee.

"This is a senior-operated event that provides an investment in the university's future," he said.

The monetary goal for this year is $10,000, of which almost half has already been collected. Rules for the Senior Challenge 1993 mandate that 50 percent must be utilized for scholarships, and the other 50 percent must be spent on academic needs.

"In our opinion, one of the best investments for academic needs is the Undergraduate Book Collection Fund, which will provide more books for M.D. Anderson Library," Easterling said.

Any senior can participate in the Senior Challenge 1993 by making an initial pledge of $20 this year. The pledge is increased by $20 each year for a four-year period. Once the fourth year arrives, and the $200 pledge total is reached, the pledge ends.

"This annual spring campaign was created to raise money among the seniors and to create a tradition of giving back to the university," said Rebecca Chance, advisor for Senior Challenge 1993.

Banners have been hung at basketball games, fliers will soon be posted, and mail-outs will be sent to encourage involvement from as many seniors as possible.

"In April, tables will be set up at Frontier Fiesta, and visits to student organizations will be conducted to gather support from graduating seniors," Easterling said.

The campaign takes place all semester, but the official kick-off will take place during the first week in March, and it will come to a close on April 19.

Seniors interested in making a pledge should contact the Student Foundation's office at 743-8866.

*******************************************************

PREVIOUS SA ELECTIONS SHOW 3 PERCENT TURNOUT RATE

by David Sikes

Only one of every 30 UH students votes in the Students' Association elections, according to election records for 1990 and 1992.

Out of 33,000 eligible voters, about 1,817 votes were cast for SA president in the 1992 election. In the run-off, 200 fewer votes were cast.

Students' participation has been about the same in past elections. Ballots cast in the 1990 presidential race numbered 1,904.

"One of the biggest reasons is that UH is a commuter campus," SA President Rusty Hruska said. "There are only 19,000 undergraduates here, and graduate students don't vote. They're too busy, or they're not concerned with campus life."

"They (SA officers) certainly haven't affected my life here at UH," said Bill Schmidt, a graduate social work student. "The issues they deal with are too provincial."

The number of votes diminish for other offices. About 1,600 people voted for vice president last year, and 1,119 votes were counted in the 1992 student regent race.

An average of 1,500 votes were cast in each of the four at-large senate seat elections last year.

The College of Business Administration, the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication and the College of Engineering have the highest numbers of voters and the highest numbers of students.

The lowest turnouts in 1992 were in the Pharmacy and Optometry colleges, which had 796 and 539 students enrolled respectively in 1992. Only 20 votes were recorded from the College of Pharmacy, and 25 optometry students voted.

"Typically, the students who vote are involved in the International Student Organizations, the residence halls and the Greeks," Hruska added. "People will vote if they think there is a cause to vote for."

Out of 33,000 UH students, only about 7,000 are involved in student organizations, Hruska said. "Approximately a quarter of the students vote. The rest don't know what SA does," Hruska added.

Matthew Tighe, a senior computer science major, said, "I don't think the SA can do anything.

"If they were serious, I think they could accomplish something. It seems to me that they're just out to yell at each other. Every year, it's the same thing."

Jason Fuller, director of personnel and a presidential candidate, said, "One of the reasons students don't vote is that they're uninformed. They don't realize that all 33,000 students are members of SA, making it the largest student organization on campus.

"The ones who think SA doesn't do much are totally wrong. We're a powerful organization."

In this year's SA election, not nearly as many election code violations have been filed. Last year, 26 complaints were filed. So far this year, only three have been filed.

"Actually, I think it's going to be less of a turnout than last year. Last year, because of the live Cougar issue and the controversy it raised, people got involved. This year, there hasn't been any major issues causing controversy," said Angie Milner, SA director of public relations.

ADMINISTRATORS DEBATE MERGER PROPOSALS' MERITS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

As part of the reshaping process, the University Planning and Policy Council continued reviewing individual colleges' budget proposals, officially called component analyses.

The Monday meeting attracted supporters from the various colleges to discuss certain recommendations made by the UPPC.

UH President James Pickering attended part of the meeting. "We need to culminate at least this phase of the reshaping process so that we can get the plan out by mid-May," he said.

The UPPC recommended that the Biochemistry Department merge with the Biology Department.

However, John Bear, dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, said, "To have a premier research institute with high visibility, smaller units are needed.

"If you are to justify the unit based on income -- student credit hours generated at the undergraduate level, graduate level and tuition and do some calculations -- then what you come up with is that you have to provide units.

"There are economic and scientific reasons for having units," he added.

The UPPC also recommended that the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication negotiate a settlement allowing the History Department to move to the College of Social Sciences.

"Keeping History in a college against their will could certainly do damage to the department," said Richard Murray, a professor of political science UPPC member.

Jim Pipkin, the dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication, said the History Department is the "cash cap" of the college; therefore, losing the department would make it tougher for the college to generate funds, he added.

A proposed relocation of the Communication Disorders Department spawned another recommendation from the UPPC.

"There are places where communication disorders could fit better as opposed to where they are now," Murray said.

Consolidation of the language departments was also recommended by the UPPC due to low enrollment in the French and German departments.

The UH System's role in the reshaping process dominated a large part of the meeting.

"I don't particularly understand their viewpoint where they say we (UH) would benefit from the reshaping process from which they decline to participate," said Judy Myers, a UPPC member.

Stephen Huber, chair of the UPPC, emphasized that everything is on the table.

"I would be embarrassed if everything except the 15 or so million dollars we give to the UH-System ends up on the table," he said.

The committee focused on the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics; the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communications; the Graduate School of Social Work and the College of Social Sciences.

Another meeting is scheduled for next Monday to finish the reviews of the college component analyses.

FESTIVAL OFFERS STUDENTS JOBS, VOLUNTEERISM

by Karla S. Mishak Lee

A volunteer and career opportunity festival will bring together non-profit organizations and students looking for more than just a job.

From 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Thursday in the UC Arbor, the Career Planning and Placement Center, in conjunction with the Metropolitan Volunteer Program, is sponsoring the "Work for a Change" festival, which will bring nearly 50 non-profit organizations to campus.

Betty Brown, coordinator of Alumni Career Services, said, "Some organizations may have special position openings they are trying to fill; others will offer internships or are looking for volunteers, and some will be using the festival for publicity."

Each organization will have alumni or other professional representatives set up a table to display information about the opportunities it offers.

"Volunteering is a good opportunity for students to gain managerial, organizational and many other skills that count as experience for future job positions," Brown said.

A few of the organizations that will be represented are the Houston Independent School District, Houston Public Libraries, the Martin Luther King Community Center, the Escape Center, Texas Children's Hospital, United Way, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boy Scouts and the Houston Symphony, as well as various religious and environmental groups.

"Pay is sometimes not competitive in non-profit organizations," she said, "but the job may give benefits in other ways. The position may offer intangible benefits such as less- restricted work hours, extra vacation time, flexibility in the schedule or just the satisfaction in knowing you are doing something you believe in."

As a result, jobs with non-profit organizations can be more satisfying than those in the corporate world, Brown added.

"Our attitude is that this is a win-win situation. It is mutually beneficial for the students and the organizations, as well as the community and the general public," she said.

NEWS BRIEF

A former UH student's attempt to pay off a university employee for blank transcript paper was fruitless.

Lamar Sabastian Adams, 23, was arrested on the first floor of the E. Cullen building at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday and charged with bribery for attempting to pay the employee for the paper, UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis said.

Due to fear of retaliation, the employee asked not to be identified by UHPD and agreed to testify against Adams, Davis said. The amount of the bribe is also being withheld by police.

Adams' bond is set at $2,000, and he is scheduled to appear in court today.

STUDENT CHARGED WITH BURGLARY

by Robert Arnold

A UH student was arrested Friday for writing hot checks, but was charged with burglary after officers found a printout in his truck. The district attorney charged the student with third-degree felony burglary of a building based on information in the printout.

John Lassig Jr., 28, a senior marketing and management information systems major, was arrested in Melcher Hall by UHPD officers John Evans and David Swigeart.

According to UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil, the police dispatcher received an anonymous call at 2 a.m. Friday reporting a suspicious person in Melcher Hall. When the officers arrived, they found Lassig wandering around the building.

Wigtil said the officers had no reason to arrest Lassig for being in the building, but arrested him for having outstanding hot-check warrants after conducting a standard warrant check.

Wigtil said UHPD also towed Lassig's truck for being illegally parked in a handicapped zone in front of Melcher Hall.

Following standard procedure, officers searched Lassig's truck and found a computer printout titled, "The Caper." Officers also found bolt cutters and a tool kit in Lassig's backpack.

Wigtil said the printout had a list of times to enter Melcher Hall, hiding places and what tools to take.

Lassig, a former president of the American Marketing Association, is out of jail after posting a $2,000 bond last Friday.

"I was just studying. This is all a big misunderstanding," Lassig said.

Following the advice of his attorney, Lassig declined further comment. He will be arraigned on March 3.

If convicted, Lassig faces two to 10 years in prison and/or a fine no greater than $5,000.

SLEEPING STUDENT ROBBED BY FORMER UH STUDENT

A Moody Towers resident's dorm room was burglarized by a man whom the awakened student initially thought to be his roommate, said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil.

Robert Davis, a 27-year-old former UH student from the Bronx, N.Y., was arrested at 9:45 a.m. Monday and charged with felony burglary of sophomore engineering major Ira Lawson's wallet, Wigtil said.

While Davis was in the room, Lawson became more cognitive and realized the man in his room was not his roommate.

"On Davis' way out, Lawson got a good look at him and gave us a description," Wigtil said.

Davis was located in the 4300 block of Old Spanish Trail by Sgt. Jon Williams. Lawson was then taken to the location to positively identify Davis, who had the wallet on him with some of Lawson's identification cards in his pockets, Wigtil said.

"He was identified by a multi-colored, floppy-looking baseball cap," Wigtil said. "He also had a knapsack and suitcase."

Juanita Barner, Moody Towers area coordinator, was not available to comment on how Davis gained access to the dormitory.

Davis is currently in the Harris County Jail with bail set at $20,000 and is scheduled to appear in court March 16.

COOGS STOP BEARS AT THE WIRE

by Jason Ramirez

When the dust finally settled on Tuesday night's wild affair, the Cougars stood tall having just prevailed 76-75 over the Baylor Bears at the Ferrel Center in Waco, Texas.

With 44.5 seconds to go in the game and tied at 72-72, senior guard David Diaz hoisted a three-pointer that zipped through the bottom of the bucket to give Houston, 17-6 (7-4), a 75-72 lead.

"He (Diaz) was the only person I wanted to go to," said coach Pat Foster. "Who better to go to than in that situation."

Following a Baylor miss on the next possession, the Bears' Aundre Branch, who led Baylor with 18 points, immediately fouled Houston guard Anthony Goldwire. While at the free-throw line, Goldwire, who paced Houston with 18 points, hit 1-of-2 charity shots, stretching the Cougars' lead to four at 76-72 with 21 seconds remaining.

But the Bears, 14-9 (6-6), had one last gasp. With time winding down, forward Willie Sublett hit a prayer trey that cut the lead to 76-75.

Following a timeout, Goldwire was quickly fouled again. But he missed both free throws, and unfortunately for Baylor, the final horn sounded as Goldwire redeemed himself with a steal on the game's final play.

"We had to find a way to win tonight's game and fortunately we were able to," said Foster. "I feel very fortunate."

It was unfortunate, however, for the Bears late in the second half when a strange call went against them.

Near the two-minute mark with Baylor up 71-69, the Bears' Anthony Lewis went up for a slam dunk. But the officials ruled he missed the shot when the ball came back out of the hoop.

"The officials said that the ball hit Anthony Lewis in the head and then it came out," said Baylor coach Darrel Johnson. "It was a tough call, and our guys deserve a better outcome."

"I knew the only way we could win tonight was to steal one," said Foster. "We played hard."

TOP OF THE HILL

The No. 17 Houston Cougars used starter Wade Williams' strong pitching and a school-record-tying four double plays to defeat the Lamar Cardinals 4-2 Tuesday at Cougar Field.

Williams topped his season best with eight strikeouts en route to his third win, giving UH a nation-leading 16 victories.

Rich Paschal pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his first save. Lamar starter Mike Pasqualicchio took the loss.

"I'm real proud of Paschal coming in and shutting it down. I thought Wade Williams did a heck of a job," head coach Bragg Stockton said.

After playing four games in three days this weekend, the Cougars' depleted pitching staff needed a strong outing from Williams.

"Our pitching staff needs some rest," Stockton said.

Shortstop Jason McDonald and second baseman Scott Kohler teamed up for the first double play.

Third baseman Ricky Freeman paired with Kohler in turning two of the twin killings and started the last one unassisted.

Houston's offense was practically asleep during the first six innings, further necessitating Williams' strong outing.

Ricky Freeman's RBI single in the fourth accounted for the game's only run through 6 1/2 innings.

In the seventh, with Williams cruising, the Cougars added three insurance runs on Scott Kohler's RBI double over the right fielder's head and Brian Blair's slicing, opposite-field, two-RBI double.

The runs couldn't have come at a better time.

Lamar's Anthony Iapoce led off the eighth with a solo home run, ending Williams' outing. After singling and advancing to third on a Matt Beech wild-pitch and a Jeff Lackie error, Bryan Lovelace scored the Cardinals' second run on a Kevin Millar RBI single.

Lamar's run-scoring stopped there as Jason Fojt and Paschal shut down the Cardinal batters over the final 1 2/3 innings.

COOGS' ACE TOO MUCH FOR CARDS

by Patti Warner

Cougars' right-hander Wade Williams continues his climb back into the ranks of the Southwest Conference elite Tuesday with a stellar seven-inning performance against the Lamar Cardinals.

"My curve ball was working

really well in the first inning," Williams said of the frame where he struck out the first three batters in 11 pitches. "It continued from there."

"It was a typical Wade Williams performance," Houston coach Bragg Stockton said. "He has a dozen pitches and he gets them where he wants them."

Perhaps the only mistake of the day came when Cardinal leadoff-hitter Anthony Iapoce nailed Williams for a solo home run that sent Stockton to the mound to get his ace.

"I hated to take him out, and he didn't want to come out," Stockton said. "But as soon as that guy nailed him, I wasn't going to hesitate."

As a senior, Williams has been dubbed the temporary ace of the young Cougar staff. His team leading 1.19 earned run average and 24 strikeouts say he is ready to take the title permanently.

With conference play just three weeks away, Williams and senior Jeff Wright will be looked upon to lead the staff.

Will Williams be ready when Houston opens conference play at Rice March 12?

"I'm ready now," he said.

Perhaps someone who could critique Williams' performance from a different perspective would be Cougars' catcher Mike Hatch.

"He got his breaking ball over when needed, and he got ground balls for (four) double plays when he needed them," Hatch said. "He's a real smart pitcher."

Williams reported no soreness in his elbow after his longest outing of the year. Surgery last summer slowed his progress over the winter. His eight strikeouts, also a season high, surprised even him.

"Eight, really?" he said.

Really, Wade and Houston's opponents better get used to it.

LADY COOGS HOPE TO MOW DOWN HORNS

When given the option to play on the road or in the friendly confines of their own courts, most teams prefer their own back yards.

Lately, the Lady Cougars' yard seems to have a few weeds in it. They are currently struggling to break a four-game losing streak, which has knocked them down to sixth place in the Southwest Conference.

Concentration is the key for the Cougars, who hope to stop the losing streak with a victory over the No. 14 Texas Lady Longhorns tonight in Austin's Frank Erwin Center. Tip-off is 7:30 p.m.

The Longhorns are coming off a 10-point loss to SWC arch-rival Texas Tech. The Longhorns dropped the 77-67 game despite Vicki Hall's and Fey Meeks' double-digit contributions.

The Cougars pushed the Longhorns into an overtime game earlier in the season, which led to a Cougar loss, but was a great morale boost for the team.

"I don't care if you are on the road or at home," coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "We need to make our free-throws. We have not been playing well and concentrating for the full 40 minutes. We did have sparks during the game against SMU, but we need to concentrate."

In what seems to be a dark era for the Cougars, they are never without some spark.

Andi Jackson has consistently proven she is the Cougars' spark. Her shooting arm has been on fire in the last eight games, averaging 14.9 points a game, and her field goal percentage is 48 percent.

Margo Graham is at the top of the Cougars' list for the most points per game with 13.4. Michelle Harris has also hit the Cougars' high-scoring list with 10.4 points a game.

This season has seen new blood on the team. With only four returning players, the Cougars welcomed nine new faces. Coach Kenlaw has kept that in mind throughout the season.

"This season has been a first for all of them. Some of them have never played Division-I ball before, and it was the first for all of them to play together."

Coach Kenlaw continues to be optimistic about the season.

"We do not have anything to lose, so we are just looking for momentum right now."

STUDENTS LEARN IN LONDON

by Debbie Callier

UH students at the University of London are enjoying the chance to study abroad, but not without their share of problems.

David Judkins, campus coordinator for the London Study Abroad Program, said students who want to go to England badly enough would be willing to make some sacrifices.

Judkins said, "Americans are not as unique over there as the English are in the United States."

Amber Aududell, a junior speech communications major, is learning this firsthand. "Clinton's not that well thought of by the press over here," she said. "They're really critical of what he's doing."

She loves London and spends her free time exploring, but doesn't like the food or the lack of central heating.

"People stay cold over here. It wouldn't bother me if my room had heat. A couple nights, it was so cold we had to have a coat on in the room," Aududell said.

Aududell's favorite class is British Life and Culture. Every week, an expert in some field gives them a two-hour lecture, she said.

Money is a sacrifice to Jennifer Langoria, a UH sophomore, who said she had to get loans and worked numerous jobs to raise the money, plus she is taking classes that don't count toward her major.

On top of that, last week, the UH computer kicked all the London students out of all their classes. Judkins said the computer problem has been solved.

Langoria added, "I don't miss the commute to UH. The IRA can bomb all day. The tube is still safer than the Houston freeways."

Langoria has a work permit and plans to find a job to supplement her finances.

Marie Graver, a California student taking classes in the same building, said, "Every Sunday, we go to church and pray that our money will last so that we have enough to eat until we go home."

Dionne Schulte, another California student, said, "We miss the sun. We dream about it. The other day, it came out, and we took pictures of it."

SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS AWAITING FOR APPLICANTS

by Donna Gower

The University of Houston Women's Association is accepting applications for the 1993-1994 Mary Harding Hoffman Scholarship and the "Women in Transition" Scholarship.

The Mary Harding Hoffman Scholarship, which was established in 1979 to honor the wife of former UH-System President Phillip Hoffman, is a $1000 award given to one qualified student at the University of Houston.

The award is given on the basis of scholastic achievement, leadership qualities and serious intent. Joanne Wilton, chairperson of the selection committee, describes "seriousness of intent" as "seriously interested in scholastic endeavors."

The scholarship is available only to children of current, retired or deceased full-time faculty and administrative staff.

Applicants may be an entering freshman, undergraduate or graduate student in good standing, and the award is not limited to women.

Applications must be postmarked by March 31. For more information, contact Wilton at 743-5291.

The "Women in Transition" scholarships are two $500 awards given to female faculty and administrative staff, or to wives of faculty or administrative staff.

These awards will be given on the basis of merit, motivation and need. A financial disclosure is required and may be verified with the financial aid office.

The "Women in Transition' scholarships focus on the non-traditional student, said Liz Wachendorfer, scholarship chairperson.

"We are interested in funding women who are serious about education," she said. "We do not want to fund the casual class-taker."

Applications must be postmarked on or before March 16.

For more information, call 743-8865 or 686-5832.