SA PREZ CANDIDATES DEBATE DOLLARS

Questions of fair student representation, overuse of the Students' Association budget and minority representation arose at the SA presidential debates Wednesday.

The debates were held in the UC Underground and featured presidential candidates Jason Fuller of the Students As Innovative Leaders party, Shane Patrick Boyle of the Revolutionary Action Party and Cipriano Romero of the Pro-Student party.

"You must realize the importance of this election. Did you realize that the Students' Association president controls a budget of $93,000 in student service fees? Did you know the president makes hundreds of appointments to student committees and is intimately involved in the development of policy?" Romero said.

The parties took different approaches in their platforms. Romero's major point was that he would be "fiscally responsible."

"SA will no longer live high on the hog," Romero said. "I will cut the budget so there is not waste in the Students' Association."

Romero also said he supports cutting SA's administrative secretary, which would save $21,000, and replacing the position with work-study students. He said he believes this would give students a chance to get job experience.

Fuller took a different approach, choosing to focus on the Texas State Legislature, which affects the reshaping of the university.

"I want to stress the reinventing of the university. There are going to be serious cutbacks, and we (UH) are the only ones prepared for that," Fuller said.

Boyle's platform stresses an alternative government form which would lessen power in SA and give it back to the students.

"There is a wall between SA and its students. I want to knock out as many of those bricks as possible," Boyle said.

"SA has little power, and I would encourage students to get involved with many of the other organizations on campus who do more," he said.

Boyle wants to focus on eliminating party politics and believes SA officials should represent individuals on campus instead of platforms.

Romero and Boyle both support an open-door policy between SA and students. Romero stressed that he passed a bill which allows students to personally address the senate floor.

Boyle reminded the public that he introduced a bill that would make it possible for students to submit legislation to the senate without having to be sponsored by a senator.

The three candidates responded similarly to the problem of poor representation of minority students on campus.

Boyle stressed the need for diverse representation in KUHF-Radio's programming.

Fuller stressed that his party could represent the needs of different communities because his party has people who came from many different backgrounds. Romero took a strong stand on not letting campus media display opinions which build on negative stereotypes of African-Americans and other ethnic groups.

*******************************************************

INEXPENSIVE HIV TEST ON CAMPUS

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

A survey released by the American College Health Association found that one in every 500 college students is infected with HIV.

Locally, through Oct. 31, 1992, of the 7,069 AIDS cases reported in Houston and the surrounding counties, more than 1,600 are between the ages of 22 and 29.

People between the ages of 33 and 39 make up 3,400 of the cases, as reported by the City of Houston Health Department.

People should consider the test for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, which causes AIDS, as necessary as putting on their seat belts, says Dr. John Joe of the UH Health Center.

"It is inexpensive," said the center's chief nurse Jennifer Nguyen. "It's only $10, in order to encourage students to come into the Health Center to be tested."

Young people drive fast, get involved in dangerous sports, experiment with drugs, and have promiscuous sex without use of condoms, thinking that they are not going to get into any trouble, said Joe, the chief of the medical staff.

"I've never heard about the HIV test. I've never thought about these kinds of things," say Virginia Shou, a graduate student in communications.

If students have any suspicion they might be at risk, they should take the test without embarrassment, Joe say.

When a student walks in to the Health Center, the student should just tell the nurse at the desk that they need to take some tests.

Nurses counsel patients about the test, and a number is assigned to keep confidentiality.

Students can learn the result of the test from the nurse just by giving their number.

If the result is positive, then patients are referred to a doctor at the center, where an average of one HIV positive student is detected a year.

"You may want to see your own doctor, but a doctor is always available at the center," Joe said.

The test is the same one offered by the blood blanks, hospitals and clinics, Joe said.

Going through counseling and testing may be a problem for couples, Joe said. "It is impossible to force someone to have the test, but couples should do everything to communicate," he said.

Christina Leung, a sophomore majoring in pharmacy, said she talks with her boyfriend a lot about taking the test. "I'm much more concerned than him, because he can't know about his previous partners' past," she said.

Joe said testing is the only way of knowing more.

Lack of diagnosis and treatment caused early fatalities 10 years ago, but therapy might significantly prolong life and prevent complications, Nguyen said. "People can live a better and longer life, if they receive treatment."

The HIV test costs $25-$70 in clinics and hospitals. It is offered free at Harris County's five health centers in Anoine, Baytown, Humble, La Porte and Pasadena.

SPB WANTS YOU ENTERTAINED -- FOR $180,000 A YEAR

by Karen Snelling

Members from the Student Program Board, a service group providing student entertainment, announced they've improved their programing this year to increase campus involvement.

Wednesday, SPB members enumerated their accomplishments for this school year and presented their budget request of $180,522 to the Student Fee Advisory Committee.

Like most of the groups presenting proposals, SPB has not asked for additional funding. "With the whole country in recession, we're not going to be greedy, said Benny Mathews, SPB executive director.

This year, SPB has focused on improving programing and increasing student awareness of the group, Mathews said.

SPB spent $3,000 of student service fees on a survey created by the business school to determine students' preferences in entertainment, Mathews said. The survey has helped SPB plan programs students like and has increased attendance over last year, he added.

SPB has also concentrated on planning events to fit commuter students' schedules, Mathews said. Because many UH students can't come to events at night, SPB has scheduled many concerts at the Satellite during the day, he said.

Thanks to the 35mm movie camera SPB purchased two years ago with $2,000 of student fees, UH has been able to show sneak previews of popular movies, such as <i>Housesitter<p> and <i>Dracula<p>, Mathews said.

To increase student awareness this year, SPB created a magazine, Coming Attractions Monthly, that they distribute on campus and mail out, Mathews added.

Student awareness has risen because SPB student membership has increased from last year, Mathews said.

CLIMBING THE CORPORATE STAIRCASE

by Julie Johnson

Climbing to the top is a phrase heard most often in its figurative meaning as striving for success. But to undeclared freshman Alán Alán Apurim, the phrase holds every literal meaning.

Apurim is the reigning local champion in the sport of stair climbing. At the age of 46, he will be defending his title at the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Vertical Parade on February 27.

He began his athletic career in 1964 as a marathon runner. In 1975, he began racing bicycles and went on to compete in the national championships.

Unfortunately, Apurim had to stop competing due to lack of finances.

Apurim began competing again in 1988 in the sport of tall building stair climbing. Although he does not train regularly, he is constantly riding his bike to and from school, around downtown and Sharpstown and at Surfside beach.

This constant exercise keeps him fit enough to take two stairs at a time during races. Most of his closest competitors in the races are 14 years younger.

Apurim explained that tall building stair-climbing races are held as time trials, since hundreds of runners cannot start up a narrow stair well simultaneously. The runners usually start at 15 second intervals.

A computer and a clock record the time of day to the second that each runner starts and finishes and the difference in time gives each competitor's result, he said.

A computer printout then sorts the best times and categories to determine who is the winner in each category.

His first race in 1988 was in Transco Tower for the American Lung Association's fund-raising event. He finished second.

He raced again for the American Lung Association in 1990 in the Emerald Tower Stair Climb in the First Interstate Bank Building. He ran the 71 stories in 9 minutes and 52 seconds, beating out a Wyoming "professional" and a 1989 Boston marathon runner.

In 1991 he raced again, but lost the first-place spot because of a voluntary blood pressure medicine study.

The study was postponed five days prior to the race and Apurim was discharged just 16 hours before the race began. He went ahead and started the race lacking 10 percent of his red blood cells and had to settle for second best.

"I felt like I was running in Denver," Apurim said. "It really slowed me down, yet I kept my streak of always finishing in the top three."

Apurim won the Vertical Parade race in 1989, 1990, and 1992 by running 60 stories in an average seven and a half minutes.

He placed second in 1991 because of what he calls suspicious circumstances. He claims there was a discrepancy in the official time because it did not equal his time.

He later tested his stopwatch against an electric clock for 10 minutes by violently shaking it and striking it against a wall. He found it still accurate to the second. The clock function of the watch was verified accurate to within four seconds a year.

Apurim returned to school this fall after attending McMurray School in Abilene. He will declare a major after he has weighed his interests versus what is available to him in the job market.

"I want to find a place for myself in society where I could earn a middle-class income," he said.

Born in Oakland, California in 1947, Apurim knows that someday age will catch up with him. "I never give up; I always try to do my best. I remain interested in the music and culture of people half my age, so why shouldn't I perform athletically with them?" he said.

"Being vegetarian and taking vitamin supplements may also help, but the main thing is to remain active and happy no matter what. If I am to be a role model for others as they age, then let me be an exciting one!" he said.

NOW SPEAKS OUT AGAINST HOUSTON POLICE IN SEXUAL ASSAULT INSTANCE

by Sally Pouncy

The UH chapter of the National Organization for Women has decided to take a stand against the Houston city police.

The alleged sexual assault of a 20-year-old female prisoner by a Harris County court bailiff Monday caused the group to decide on a plan of action against local police authorities.

Even though the assault involved a county officer, UHNOW members have decided to make the Houston city police the target.

The group justifies the targeting of HPD because of past incidents involving sexual assault by HPD male officers.

UHNOW thinks the suspension with pay for the officers involved in sexual assault cases is unacceptable. "It is like a paid vacation for them (the officers)," one member said.

UHNOW decided to call Houston police chief Sam Nucchia's office and asked for the person appointed to the departmental sexual assault task force. The group will also produce a news release about the HPD and HCSD incidents and distribute it to local media.

The group has decided to include the police incidences at their special event commemorating International Women's day.

The March 8 event will include responses to the events in Boznia-Herzegovina and India as well as local events.

The group also will accept nominations for new officers at their meeting March 1. Voting for the positions will be held on March 9.

TOTAL ACCESS

by Heather Wolk

The Undergraduate Council passed a bill Wednesday which requires the university to provide any accommodations necessary to aid disabled students, said staff associate Brian McKinney.

The bill quotes the Americans with Disabilities Act as saying that no individual with a disability can be denied access to, participation in, or benefits and privileges from any public service, program or activity.

"This bill is simply to inform the faculty of their options to help disabled students, so they know what can be done," McKinney said, adding that students will not be allowed to confuse laziness with a learning disability.

"People can't just say, 'I failed my math class three times -- I must be math disabled,' " he said. "It takes the opinion of experts and tests."

McKinney said the Center for Students with DisABILITIES will work with the students to provide what they need.

"In the case of hidden disabilities, that is, those not obvious (like blindness), the student must go to the center and provide proof in documents no more than three years old," he said.

The center can offer such things as readers, sign language interpreters and special testing facilities, McKinney added.

The council also approved a bill which makes all new freshmen students with a GPA less than 2.00, regardless of course load, eligible for Academic Notice. Previously, only freshmen students taking less than 14 hours were notified.

The bill also recommends that freshmen take no more than 16 hours per semester.

Also approved was a revision of the admissions policy.

Students approved for admission by the Admissions Review Committee will be granted unrestricted admission by the Office of Admissions. Formerly, students approved by the ARC were admitted to the university on probationary status.

The council also discussed the adoption of new ACT/SAT equivalency scores.

A bill was passed reducing an ACT composite score of 22, once considered equivalent to an SAT score of 900, to 21.

It will also reduce an ACT score of 27, once considered equivalent to an SAT score of 1100, to 26.

These new standards will be effective in the fall of 1993 for admission to the spring 1994 semester.

HISTORY PROF'S BAD BLOOD AN ODYSSEY INTO TERROR

Most people do not want to contemplate what happens during an autopsy.

Or a burial service.

However, as James Jones attempted to cast a light on a subject enveloped in darkness -- the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment -- he realized he would find the details, the mentions of free burial services and free autopsies.

Jones, an associate professor of history who penned a book about the experiment titled Bad Blood, continues to speak of the government-sanctioned experiments on black men who had gone untreated for syphilis, a contagious disease that is either sexually or congenitally transmitted.

The United States Public Health Service conducted a series of studies to determine what would happen if the black subjects had been deprived of the most important component of health care: treatment.

Perhaps those who used the men the way laboratory animals are used thought of the 600 men -- some of whom suffered from syphilis and others who served as controls -- as good subjects.

In tones that reveal a sense of sorrow, he speaks of the experiment and the overwhelming disappointments that followed one after the other during his period of research.

"The documents didn't bring tears to my eyes. When I interviewed some of the subjects, I'm not sure I had tears in my eyes, but I think I probably had lumps in my throat because they were talking about friends who had died, and people who they missed -- people they had known all their lives -- who died needlessly in the experiment," he said.

Jones does not laugh much during a conversation. He just smiles.

He is of average height and a medium build, like many fathers who coach children.

"Well, I'm a little league baseball coach. I think also you just have to like kids. My son has played little league and I'm coaching my daughter's team this year," Jones said, referring to his favorite leisurely pursuit.

The tinges of gray hair he must have had during the early 80s have been replaced by a full head of gray hair, which seems to say more about his wisdom than his age.

Jones is not like a fidgety child while he sits in his swivel chair. He leans back, relaxed, when discussing his family or little league baseball or the prospect of Spike Lee directing a film based on his book about the Tuskegee Experiment.

Wisdom borne out of experience and revelations is something he likes to impart to his students. He shares some of his insights with students on both the graduate and undergraduate level.

After years of living in a small mining town in Arkansas, Jones began his path towards his life as a historical scholar. He received his bachelor's degree from Henderson State Teachers College, a master's from East Texas State University, and a doctoral degree from Indiana University.

He speaks with fondness of his line of work.

"I think probably the thing that gives me the greatest pleasure is to give a good lecture and to have good discussions with students," he said.

When the subject of discussion turns to the Tuskegee Experiment, he leans forward or sits erect.

"There was one subject in the experiment, one man, who had an aneurysm. The aneurysm was so large that his chest wouldn't really rotate. And I think his case, just because it was so graphic, made me wonder how the doctors could just watch him and not try to help him," he said.

Jones said tenacity has served him well as his strongest of qualities.

"For example, in the book, nurse Rivers, who is one of the main characters in the book, for several years declined to see me. Did not want to be interviewed. I would just kind of check in with her periodically, and give her more opportunities to say no."

Few could imagine a bulldog lecturing to an audience of 300. But that is how Jones describes himself.

Not as the growling, vicious mongrel who bites the leg of the postman, but as the person who sticks to prospective interviewees like glue.

"You've got to be tenacious. So, I think one quality that has stood me in good stead over the years is that I tend to be a bulldog."

His never-accept-no-for-an-answer approach to research helped him uncover the experiment and will also help him as he prepares to write a biography of Alfred Kinsey, a pioneer in sexual behavior research.

While researching the Tuskegee experiment, Jones discovered cases of syphilitic men whose skin had been eaten away by ulcers, to the point where multiple layers of tissue could be seen.

Spinal taps and eye exams were administered, but not necessarily for the well-being of subjects.

Doctors poked and prodded during their Nazi-like experiments, but did not give medication or treatment that could have lessened the pain or symptoms associated with syphilis.

The experiment lasted 40 years, from early 1932 to the early 1970s. At least 28 men, with a possible maximum of 100, died a a result of complications.

Since he wrote his book, which was published in 1981, Jones has also contributed -- along with UH History Department colleagues Steven Mintz and James Kirby Martin -- to the writing of a two-volume history text book titled America and Its People.

He said his love of teaching keeps him motivated and is not a chore.

"If I ever get up in the morning and start thinking 'I have to teach today,' I'll probably find another job," he said.

In his office there are many books. He placed photographs of his wife and children on the wall so that he could look straight ahead.

Next to the pictures, he placed some editorial cartoons. On one of them black men are enticed to participate in an experiment.

The cartoonist wrote only a few words.

Free autopsy. Free burial. Plus $100 bonus.

Jones said the cartoon makes a powerful statement, but also brings a note of sadness to his day.

CAMPUS BURGERS: COOK 'EM WELL, AVOID CONTAMINATION

by Mindi King

Order your hamburgers medium to well-done to avoid the risk of contamination, a UH health official said.

Bill Wentz, General Manager of the American Restaurant Association, said there should be no fear of eating a contaminated hamburger at UH, but the safest way to order a hamburger is medium to well-done.

Hamburgers are prepared medium-well at all UH facilities unless a special request is made for a rare burger, he said.

The Associated Press reported the Department of Agriculture is making plans to upgrade its meat inspection system in light of the recent food poisonings in Washington and other western states.

Two children died and hundreds were sickened in January after eating hamburgers contaminated with a strain of E. coli bacteria at Jack in the Box restaurants, the AP said.

Inspection System Upgrade

The department will ask President Clinton and federal budget writers for permission to hire 550 more meat inspectors, the AP said, and will upgrade the current inspection regimen, eventually creating a new one based on more advanced science.

Wentz said contamination occurs when beef is under-cooked, allowing present bacteria to live, and possibly multiply. Before eating a burger, he said, check to see that the middle is thoroughly cooked, with no trace of pink in the center, nor traces of blood in the juices.

"If you are not comfortable with a burger or any food prepared on campus, return it immediately," he said.

In the four and a half years Wentz has been at UH, there have been very few problems, he said. But he said it is important that if there is a problem, officials are promptly notified.

UH does everything possible to insure a fresh and properly prepared burger, he said. The university buys 100 percent domestic beef that is USDA inspected daily at the packing houses and at the supplier, he said.

UH gets its meat from Mimms Meats, located in Houston, which has extensive inspections beyond those specified by the USDA, he said.

Campus Beef Storage

The beef is delivered three times a week and is stored in coolers on campus where the temperature is monitored daily by UH health officials and ARA officials, Wentz said. If a freezer goes out or the temperature in the cooler is above the mandated temperature of 40 F, the product is thrown out, he said.

The preparation of the beef is supervised by UH health officials, and an in-house sanitarian inspects all food preparation facilities daily, he said.

Burgers served at Coogs Cafe, the American Cafe and the Satellite are one-third-pound beef burgers that are 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat, he said. They are cooked at 350 F for three to four minutes and are served medium-well, he said.

Elena Ramos, regional marketing manager for McDonald's, located on Elgin Boulevard near campus, said McDonald's records speak for themselves.

There should be no fear of eating one of their burgers, she said. The health and safety standards at McDonald's are "above and beyond" local, state and federal standards, she said.

Karl Fischer, general manager of the Wendy's on Cullen Boulevard near campus, said that during the three years he has managed the restaurant there has never been a contamination problem.

Wendy's uses only domestic beef, he said, and uses fresh beef that is delivered every three days. He said the restaurant prepares its burgers medium-well and follows all mandated health and safety regulations.

Burger King, located on Cullen Boulevard near campus, refused to comment.

FIRST AMENDMENT CONFERENCE ATTACKS MEDIA ISSUES

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

Questions regarding what is right, legal or protected were the main focus at the First Amendment Conference held Wednesday.

High school journalism students, as well as UH and Prairie View A&M students, participated in round-table discussions with media professionals concerning the rights and responsibilities of a journalist.

Ron Stone, chairman of the Scholarships Campaign Committee, served as guest speaker and discussion leader.

The discussions were based on six cases. The first case concerned a jewelry robbery in which the jeweler drops a transponder into the bag, alerting the police of the robbery. The thief is caught and arrested.

The journalist is faced with the decision of whether to mention the transponder after the police asked that it not be mentioned.

The jeweler asks the reporter not to mention her, fearing that reporting about the transponder might place her in danger. This is another issue the reporter must decide.

The second case concerned a high school student's suicide. The editor of the school newspaper faces the decision of whether to report the student's death -- giving out the name -- or just report the death.

If the student's suicide is not mentioned, the editor has to decide whether to report on five teenage suicides which occur in the next six weeks.

Case three deals with government control during the Persian Gulf War. Did it serve the public well and keep journalists out of danger, or did it place a severe infringement on press freedom? This was contrasted with no government control of the press during the military action in Somalia.

Students discussed whether the government should set rules for war coverage.

In case four, students discuss the issue of an entertainment editor accepting invitations from film studios to preview their screenings in New York, Los Angeles and Acapulco before they open. The invitation includes free room and board, transportation and refreshments.

Students decided whether the free trips will influence the editor's review, whether it would cause problems for the editor or the paper and whether it would be appropriate to mention that the invitation was paid for by the studios.

The fifth case concerned a decision to televise an execution after a prisoner files a lawsuit asking to air the execution.

Students decided if the execution should be aired after the prisoner wins the lawsuit, and who should make the decisions on how it will be aired and whether it would be live or taped.

The last case involved a TV reporter from Washington, D.C., who receives a phone call from an inmate working in the prison's furniture repair shop, saying he has found in a desk from the State Department an envelope marked TOP SECRET, which was stuck in the back of a drawer. The inmate claims the contents look interesting and asks the reporter if he would like to pick it up.

Students decided whether the most ethical thing to do is to go pick up the envelope or call the State Department. Students discussed what might happen after the decision was made.

The First Amendment Conference was sponsored by the UH School of Communication; Houston Chapter, Society of Professional Journalists; and the Harris County Department of Education.

CENTER BOASTS TOP-NOTCH STAFF

by Alicia Coterillo

For UH students with children, where to find quality day care is often a pressing problem. The university, however, may have an answer.

The university has a day-care center for children of UH students, faculty and staff. Children of any age are welcome, and the attention and care a child needs is offered.

Children enrolled in the UH day care system are supervised by certified teachers.

Unlike some other university day-care centers, UH day-care teachers are not students, but have received a Bachelor of Arts degree in early or elementary education.

"The day-care teachers really seem to take interest in each child as an individual. I really like what they do," Karen Phillips, a senior business major, said.

One benefit the center offers that other day-care facilities may not, is the accessibility to a physician. If a child gets sick while at the day care, the parents and the attending physician at the UH infirmary are contacted.

The center is located off entrance 11 and Wheeler, across the street from the university police department.

Being able to visit their children during breaks between classes and work is another benefit many parents enjoy.

The fee for children enrolled in day care is charged weekly. For students with children ages 3 months to 24 months, the charge is $95 a week. For faculty and staff members, the charge is $100 a week. For UH students with children ages 2 to 5 years, the fee is $85 a week. For faculty and staff members, the charge is $90 a week.

All of the UH day care fees include breakfast, lunch, a snack, diapers and baby food.

For more information about the UH day care system, contact Marci Devine at 743-5480.

NEW AIDS DRUG TEST CENTERS ALL OVER COUNTRY - EXCEPT HOUSTON

by Jenny Silverman

If you dialed 1-800-TRlALS-A this week, chances are you would hear the monotonous sound of a busy signal.

The lines have been jammed with HIV-infected people daring to hope that a new drug will stop the mutation of this disease, despite the fact that Houston is one of the few cities in the country that will not be a test center.

The new anti-HIV drug is actually a combination of two approved AIDS drugs -- AZT and DDI, used in conjunction with an experimental drug, nevirapane.

The three work together to attack an enzyme that makes copies of the virus's genetic material and forces HIV to mutate in a way that will make replication impossible. If the virus cannot replicate, it cannot spread to other cells, said officials at the AIDS Clinical Trial Information Center in Rockville, MD.

Two thousand patients in this country will participate in clinical drug trials beginning in July. Houston is not one of the cities included in the testing. Two hundred patients from across the country will participate. The tests will be conducted at many university medical schools around the country. Among these are: Sloan Kettering in NY, Harvard, and the University of California at Los Angeles and San Francisco. Other cities included in the trial study are: Miami, Denver, and Rockville.

While many feel the testing should not be limited to one group, this is often the case. While AIDS is not limited to the realm of white, middle class males, this will be the only group that receives the drug testing.

"Indigent people will be excluded from the study, as they are without medical insurance," said professor Gene Harrington, who teaches a course on AIDS and the law at Texas Southern University.

According to Harrington, Houston is the only city in the country without federally funded clinical drug trials.

"The test is actually quite exclusionary. While all of the patients with T-cell counts under 350 will be included in the trial, the majority will be from the same socio-economic class. This does not make for a well-rounded study," said Harrington.

If an HIV-infected person in Houston wants to participate in the study they should call 1-800-TRIALS-A.

Unfortunately, even if a medical school will let a patient from Houston participate, they must pay for transportation, while their insurance company will shoulder the cost of the study.

RACISM IN THE MILITARY?

by Marla M. Crawford

Before the military was integrated, four black men lost their lives for every white man killed during WWII. Some black veterans of the Korean War, who saw the military become integrated, can still remember the face of racism in the military but are pleased with the opportunities available today.

"We went over on a ship all mixed up with white troops," said Willie Dunlap, sergeant, 1st class. "When we got to Guam, the white troops went one way, and we went another."

It was 1948 -- two years before the desegregation of the military. Dunlap stood waiting for roll call as he watched white troops loading onto big buses.

"I didn't like it at all," he said. "It really disturbed me, you know? I just didn't like it."

The lieutenant called his name three times before he heard it. He was watching the black troops being loaded onto cattle trucks.

Dunlap spent seven months in Guam. "We never saw where the white troops stayed," he said.

The troops were segregated quite a distance from each other, but Dunlap heard that the white troops' facilities were nicer.

In 1950, he was at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts, just before the units were integrated.

"We were unloading ammunition," he said. "The whites were just training, and we were doing all the hard work -- I rebelled."

Dunlap refused to continue unloading ammunition, and the lieutenant sent him back to his company.

"I was really worried. I thought something bad might happen to me, but a few days later, Camp Edwards was integrated," he said.

After 1950, Dunlap said he didn't have any problems at all -- things went along pretty well.

The Army did a good job of integrating, Dunlap said. He stayed in for 21 years and eight months.

Retired Col. Cameron Wells said he experienced subtle racism in the 1950s.

Wells went overseas in 1953, a few months after the truce that ended the Korean War had been signed.

"I had an opportunity to go to flight school," Wells said. "But certain things were placed in my file -- they said I was under-height, but whites with the same height went on to flight school."

Wells saw three years of active duty, then joined the reserves. He stayed in for 27 years.

Many dramatic changes have occurred in the military, he said. "They are promoting more blacks to high-ranking positions, like General Colin Powell."

At a reunion of soldiers last summer, Wells said there were 11 or 12 high-ranking black officers present -- from brigadier generals to four-star generals.

The highest rank Wells ever saw held by a black man during his duty was a colonel. "Opportunities have really opened up," he said.

NEW Rx FOR PHARMACY MAJORS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Pharmacy students may have to work another year in order to receive a new type of professional degree.

The College of Pharmacy hopes to offer a professional Doctor of Pharmacy degree for students instead of the currently issued Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy degree.

The University of Texas-Austin and Texas Southern University currently award a Doctor of Pharmacy as an add-on degree after candidates have completed a Bachelor of Science degree.

The professional degree is awarded at most colleges of pharmacy throughout the nation, so UH has an obligation to students to award the professional degree, Thomas Lemke, associate dean of the College of Pharmacy, said.

Many jobs require a professional pharmacy (Pharm-D) degree, which UH currently does not offer, he said.

The new type of degree is similar to the law and optometry degrees awarded.

The Doctor of Pharmacy degree would take at least six years to be granted, as opposed to the current five year plan.

Lemke said the degree is almost essential for students, because without it, they are being shortchanged.

"Ten years ago we were product oriented, but today pharmacy is becoming more patient oriented," Lemke said.

The college would be able to maintain the same budget, but admitting students to the program would have to be limited, Lemke said.

Last year, the ratio of applicants to acceptance at the College of Pharmacy was 4 to 1, according to Lemke.

Because the program would be steered to a more patient-oriented philosophy, classes in geriatrics, patient counseling and management would be included in the program.

The present program offers speech courses to help students interact with patients, Lemke said.

"This new philosophy of increased consultation with the patient could have rewarding benefits, such as decreasing health-care costs," Lemke said.

For example, many times patients are prescribed medication for something and they fail to take the entire recommended amount. Therefore, the possibility of a relapse increases, requiring another trip to the doctor.

There are only two other colleges of pharmacy in Texas. In the nation, there are 76 universities with pharmacy programs.

The Doctor of Pharmacy degree could be implemented as early as fall 1994, Lemke said.

FACULTY SENATE PLANS FUTURE CAMPUS NEEDS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

UH's master plan was unveiled at the Faculty Senate meeting Wednesday in an effort to show long-term plans for the university.

Jim Berry, the associate vice chancellor of Facilities Planning and Construction, said he's requesting input about the plan from the Faculty Senate.

The goals are to redesign the university in an economically efficient way that will make it more accessible and open for future growth, while preserving existing, valuable parts of the university.

Some of the ideas for the conceptual plan, proposed by Charles Baughn, vice-president of Hines Interest Limited Partnership, and Wayne Shull, an architect for Kendall Heaton Associates, included recommending relocation of the food franchises on Cullen Boulevard in an effort to make the entrance to UH more inviting by planting trees, constructing parking garages and building a new administration building with accessible parking to visitors.

"We're not designing the buildings, but looking at where certain buildings could go," Baughn said.

Stephen Huber, a faculty senator and professor of law, said, "We're in a tight budget at UH, so why are we paying $200,000 for outside contractors?"

Inadequate funding for the Center for Students with DisABILITIES was also discussed at the meeting.

Karen Waldman, the coordinator of the center, said, "We have to ensure that students with disabilities get equal educational accommodations."

In addition to disabled students, faculty and staff with disabilities should also receive equal treatment, she added.

"There is little done to help faculty members with disabilities, and there may be a lot of professors out there that you don't even know have significant impairments," Waldman said.

With the passage of the Americans With Disabilities Act in January, there has been much discussion concerning the accommodation UH provides to students, faculty and staff.

"The services are federally mandated, and I need staff and support to meet increased demands," Waldman said. "Or we will get sued."

Carlos Monsanto, a professor in the Department of Hispanic and Classical Languages, said: "You (Faculty Senate) represent us whether we are blind, deaf or have any other disabilities." He also asked for more thorough accommodations.

In addition, faculty members who received the 3 percent pay raise given in December may have it taken back, and possibly the previous 3 percent will be taken back, also.

ATHLETIC DIRECTOR SPOT OPEN THREE MONTHS LATER;

UH SEARCH ON FOR 'COMPETITIVE' PROFESSIONAL

It has been nearly three-and-a-half months since former Athletic Director Rudy Davalos moved on to greener pastures to take the same position with the University of New Mexico, but the AD's position here has yet to be filled.

Interim Athletic Director Bill McGillis, who previously served as assistant athletic director for administration and NCAA compliance, has filled the void left in the wake of Davalos' Nov. 17 departure.

"We aren't in a rush," said Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for administration and finance and chairman of the Athletic Director Search Committee.

"We hope to have a short list of four or five (candidates), bring them to campus and out of that a (final) candidate will be chosen."

Boyd later said the short list could have as many as seven viable candidates.

Last Friday, the committee began screening out any of the 56 applicants who did not meet the minimum requirements for the job.

Boyd said he expects the committee will have a short list compiled in about three weeks, but he added that the candidates names will not be released until the short list is completed.

"It's a really good group of candidates," Boyd said. "We will talk to all the top people. We're confident we'll get a very good AD."

Boyd said the tentative date to announce the new athletic director is April 1, with the new AD assuming full duties as early as June 1 and no later than July 1.

Boyd outlined the personal qualities the freshman AD should possess.

He or she should be "a person who has some significant, successful background in athletics administration, and a good motivator and manager of people," Boyd said.

The person who will fill the position will be "a person committed to making our athletes part of the real university and who has a background in marketing. We need to compete for these entertainment dollars in Houston," said Boyd.

He added the director should come from a school that has had no trouble with the NCAA and has a clean recruiting record.

Reported candidates for the position include Oklahoma State senior associate AD Barry Dowd, North Carolina State associate AD Bill Carr, North Texas AD Steve Sloan and Lee McElroy, athletic director at Sacramento State and former assistant AD at UH.

McGillis, who came to Houston as a sports information department intern in September, 1984, said he has not formally applied for the job, but added, "My intention is to stay at the University of Houston for a long time in whatever capacity the administration wants me to serve."

Asked if his time as interim AD has been fulfilling, McGillis said: "It's certainly been challenging.

"It goes back to what kind of staff you have, and they've been excellent. The focus is on the team, it's not on the athletic director."

McGillis summed up what he thought an AD's qualities should be.

"Number one, an unquestioned integrity. Number two, a commitment to academic achievement by student athletes. Three, put our athletic programs on a nationally competitive level, and four, someone to lead efforts to generate revenue for the university."