RODEO LASSOS UH BAND, GARTH BROOKS, TRAIL RIDERS

Cowboy hats, cowboy boots and country music -- it's clear that the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is in town. On Saturday, the UH Band joined the parade that introduced two weeks of rodeo as Houstonians joined the various floats and trail-riders in celebrating the annual event.

The UH Band was the first of approximately 10 bands to play in the parade. Along with UH, other parade participants kept the spectators busy including the Budweiser Clydesdales, Mac Haik Ford (the Grand Prize winner), HEB Pantry, Kroger and Randall's. The trail-riders kept the crowd entertained as they cheered and yahooed their way down the streets.

Many UH students joined in the fun. Chad McMahon, a freshman and a consistent rodeo goer, went to see Garth Brooks Monday.

"I went because he puts on a good show. The show was great except for a bunch of females screaming in my ear . . . Yeah, I had fun," McMahon said.

Although Garth Brooks is finished with his two performances, the rodeo still has many artists yet to perform, including Clint Black, George Strait, Hank Williams Jr., Alan Jackson, Wynonna and Billy Ray "Achy Breaky Heart" Cyrus. The rodeo is scheduled to be in town for another week.

*******************************************************

THE DEFENSE RESTS

by Karla S. Mishak Lee

UH Law Center students successfully defended a rock star accused of rape in a moot court competition held in Fort Lauderdale last week.

The team, composed of second-year law student Jon Haslett and third-year law student Mary Angela Graham, won the team championship at the F. Lee Bailey Moot Court Competition Sunday, Feb. 14.

F. Lee Bailey is a well-known trial lawyer who defended the Boston Strangler, Patty Hearst and William Calley, the army officer accused of the My Lai massacre in Vietnam.

This is the third straight year the UH Law Center has claimed the team championship and best oralist prize.

Haslett and Graham were undefeated in the five preliminary rounds and won both of their round-robin semifinal rounds. They also carried all three ballots in the final round.

"They dominated the competition," said team coach Kevin Dubose, the team's coach. "Although UH teams have won this competition the last two years as well, none have done so in such a convincing fashion."

Haslett won the Best Oralist Award. Bailey chooses the best oralist personally before the final round, then seals the name in an envelope; thus, the best oralist doesn't necessarily compete on the winning team.

The students trained for the event by studying the original trial and writing a brief, which was due Dec. 1, Haslett said. "We took the fact situation, figured out what the law was, then wrote a brief applying the law to the facts in the fictitious case."

Shortly after Christmas, the team conducted 20 to 25 practice rounds approximately two hours each.

The case was a fictitious composite of the Mike Tyson and William Kennedy Smith rape trials. The fictional defendant, "Mike Kennedy," was a famous rock star convicted of rape.

In the original fictitious rape trial, the prosecution had introduced into evidence rock videos that showed Kennedy performing his stage act it claimed was violent and abusive to women. The state also used evidence from three women who testified that Kennedy had raped them six, 10 and 12 years before the charged offense.

Finally, during deliberations, one juror remarked that rock stars needed to be punished to send a message to other rock stars.

The competition was to represent one side of the case to a three-person panel. It began with a 15- to 20-minute argument during which the panel could interrupt and ask questions. "It was an active panel," Haslett said. "They constantly asked questions, sometimes two at a time."

The judging panel for the final round consisted of the chief judge of the Federal (D.C.) Circuit Court of Appeals, the dean of Hastings College of Law in San Francisco and a former president of the American Bar Association.

Dubose said, "You really have to know the material to answer the questions. You have to be able to have a speech, get interrupted, answer the question and weave that back into your speech. It's a very challenging form of advocacy."

Haslett and Graham represented Kennedy in the appellate court throughout the competition and succeeded in reversing his conviction each time.

The team will compete in the American Bar Association Moot Court Competition Regionals on March 26. The topics will be defamation and immunity of government officials. The top three teams in that competition will advance to the national round.

Graham said, "We had a great coach; he really turned around the appellate program at UH." Dubose has been coaching the moot court teams for four years.

Haslett said he and Graham worked so well together because "(Graham) and I are very different people. We contrast really well. She's a conservative Republican, I'm a progressive Democrat. She's a soft sell, I'm kind of bombastic, maybe. Plus we like each other -- that's important too," he said.

HITCHED ON CAMPUS

by Donna Gower

UH students and other members of the Houston community can attend sporting events, plays and movies on campus. They can eat in restaurants, see comedians and research at the library. They may also decide to get married here.

Every year, approximately 200 couples exchange their wedding vows in A.D. Bruce Religion Center, said Diana Shankar, the center's coordinator.

The center houses Catholic, Jewish, Muslim and Protestant organizations and offers studies of the Bible and the Koran, as well as planning retreats, worship services and prayer groups. The building has classrooms, offices, a lounge and two chapels.

One of these chapels is the location for all campus weddings. "We are always busy," Shankar said. "I need to know your wedding date at least a year in advance. Our phones are always ringing."

"In 1991 and 1992, we were extremely busy. The summers were packed," she said. The peak season for weddings is the warmer months, namely May through August, Shankar added.

The center charges students $250 to rent the chapel for two hours and charges non-students $360, she said. This fee includes only the use of the facility, she said. However, the center does not have a coordinator to help put the wedding together.

"The weddings are so diverse in religious beliefs that we cannot offer a coordinator for each of the different weddings," Shankar said. "The minister often helps the couple coordinate the wedding."

The center does, however, have a student worker who assists with the wedding arrangements and helps with emergencies, "like the elevator getting stuck," she added.

The center offers four two-hour times slots on Saturdays and two two-hour time slots on Sundays, Shankar said. The wedding actually begins in the middle of the two hours. "For example, if your time slot begins at 1 p.m., the wedding will begin at 2 p.m.," she said.

"This makes for a very rushed wedding," said Beth Porter, whose husband was a student at UH in 1991. The couple had their wedding on campus because it was economical, and neither of them were members of a church, Porter said.

"I'm still glad that I didn't have hours to contemplate my wedding. I was a nervous wreck," Porter added.

For information on wedding reservations, contact Shankar at 743-5050.

BATTLE ON THE BRAZOS

The Texas Longhorns will have a recycled look come Saturday when they face the Houston Cougars at 2:00 p.m. in Austin.

Texas point guard B.J. Tyler, out for the Longhorns' last 14 games with a broken foot, was cleared to play with the team before its game against Texas Tech Thursday in Lubbock.

In his post-injury debut, Tyler scored 32 points in a losing effort as the Longhorns fell to the Red Raiders 105-103 on a Will Flemons slam with three seconds left.

Texas had a 5-3 record with the 6-1 junior in the lineup before he went out with the injury. Prior to Thursday's game, the Longhorns were 4-10 and tied for sixth place in the Southwest Conference

Texas, 9-14, now holds sole possession of seventh place with a 3-8 conference record.

Meanwhile, Houston, 17-6, will be trying to extend its six-game winning streak and 7-4 SWC record to make a last-ditch run at the regular season conference crown.

Southern Methodist, 18-5 (10-1), has one of its two remaining games on the road including a showdown with Rice Saturday at Autry Court. SMU won Thursday at Texas A&M, 84-73.

Rice, 15-7 (9-2), is in the more favorable position having all three of its remaining games (SMU, Houston and Texas A&M) at home.

But the Longhorns won't likely sit on their duffs and let the Cougars run up and down the court at will. Houston coach Pat Foster said he believes Texas' game plan will include full-court pressure defense.

"It's a good thing for us to see (Texas) tonight," Foster said prior to the nationally televised Texas-Texas Tech matchup. "It's a hard matter to win on the road. It depends on how we're playing."

The Cougars' gut-check in a 76-75 win at Baylor seems to have erased the memory of their four-game slide earlier in the season, and it proved they could muster the willpower to steal a much-needed game in hostile territory; something they will have to prove again against Tyler & Co.

"We've gone through a lot this season," said Houston back-up center Rafael Carrasco, who is averaging four points and 4.2 rebounds off the bench. "Losing those four games really put our feet on the ground.

"We know we need to win in Texas. We'll be ready."

With a healthy Tyler back in the lineup, so will the Longhorns.

HOOPS FANS HOPE COOGS DON'T BREAK THEIR HEARTS

By Heather Ellis

Insight Sports

<i>High Hopes, we've got high hopes, we've got high apple pie in the sky hopes . . .<p>

Ah yes, the Houston fans' theme song.

Whoever said winning isn't everything hasn't talked to any one of the teams in Houston .

There is nothing more exciting and painful to watch than a team crawl from the depths of the conference heap to the top, and then right back down again.

In the past, the recent past for a particular sport, this process has been used as a blueprint for a team's season.

Oilers' fans have just stopped wearing black since the infamous loss to the Buffalo Bills in January.

Astros' fans are trying to temper their excitement for the new season as they watch a bevy of new faces, one of these former Houston Cougar Doug Drabek, try to inject a strong dose of winning into the ball club.

The Rockets are on a roll, having coming back from the All-Star break with all systems go.

Here in the good ol' Southwest conference things are warming up as well.

For Cougar basketball fans it has already been a rollercoaster ride. Starting the season like a team possessed with a winning spirit, the men's basketball team rolled off an 11-2 record, losing only to North Carolina and UCLA. Both were road losses to nationally ranked teams.

Right on cue, after landing the No. 25 spot in the AP poll, the Cougars started a four-game losing skid that left fans questioning why they bothered getting excited about another team.

Granted, illness plagued the Houston squad, but it was just too much to take after losing to the team that occupies the SWC basement, the dreaded Texas Christian Horned Frogs.

But here we are again. The Cougars have snapped out of the streak and came out hotter than a UH employee's bounced check.

Knocking off Louisville last Sunday did increase the Cougars' chances of gaining an NCAA bid, and defeating the No. 22 team in the country gave them a much-needed dose of national respect.

With the SWC tournament looming, and only three more conference games remaining, the Cougars have a chance to propel themselves and grab a high seed at the tournament.

Nobody likes a tease. Let us hope this time the Cougars will be one Houston team that will write its own success story.

NATIONALLY-RANKED COUGARS HOST SWT BOBCATS IN TWO-GAME SERIES

by Patti Warner

The No. 17 Cougars (16-1)

will continue their climb up the national polls when they host the Southwest Texas State Bobcats (8-6) in a two-game series beginning today at Cougar Field. Both today's and Saturday's games get underway at 2 p.m.

"They will be good, and they will be tough," Houston coach Bragg Stockton said. "They will spend all they have and not hold anything back."

Senior right fielder Mark Scott leads the Bobcats with a .324 batting average, 13 RBIs and three home runs. Despite Scott's high numbers, SWT as a team is batting only .246.

"I really wouldn't say we have a key player right now," Bobcats coach Steve Prentice said. "I'm still looking for one."

Prentice will start junior Adam Hillman for one of the games. Hillman brings a 3-0 record and three complete games into the series.

"I know they have one or two outstanding pitchers, and that concerns me," Stockton said.

The Cougars will counter with senior Jeff Wright (2-0, 3.15 ERA) and junior Matt Beech (3-0, 3.44 ERA).

After using only three pitchers to defeat Lamar Tuesday, Stockton will be able to use all of his staff if Beech or Wright have any problems.

"I think the rest of the staff will be ready to help in relief," Stockton said.

Freshman Jeremy Tyson, who leads the team with three saves, and junior Brian Hamilton, who leads the team with four wins, will be available to relieve the starters if they run into any trouble.

The performances of junior Rich Paschal (one save, 1.42 ERA) and freshman Greg Lewis (1-0, 1.74 ERA) out of the bullpen have been a pleasant surprise for Stockton.

Houston left fielder Brian Blair carries a hot bat into the series, leading the team in RBIs with 19. He also has two home runs, including a grand slam last week, and a .426 average.

TEXAS POUNDS LADY COOGS, 97-68

Cougar Sports Services

The No. 14 Lady Longhorns overpowered the Lady Cougars 97-68 Wednesday in the Frank Erwin Center in Austin.

Margo Graham, Antoinette Issac and Andi Jackson scored in double digits to aid the Cougars' battle against the Longhorns.

The Longhorns, 17-6, are tied with Texas Tech for first place in the Southwest Conference. Each is 10-1 in league play.

The Cougars dropped their fifth SWC game in a row and lowered their overall record to 10-14, 4-8 in the SWC.

All-American candidate Vicki Hall had 18 points for Texas, and Cinetra Henderson added 12 points. The Longhorns shot a season-high 62.1 field-goal percentage.

The Cougars were limited to just 36.2 field-goal shooting percentage, but received a strong performance from Jackson, who had 11 points and four rebounds.

Issac had 13 points and six rebounds. Graham dumped 14 points for the Cougars, and grabbed seven rebounds.

"We had lots of fun out there tonight," Texas head coach Jody Conradt said. "We got production from everyone off of the bench."

BASKETBALL, SOCCER PLAYOFFS LOOM FOR INTRAMURALS' WEEKEND WARRIORS

The regular season intramural basketball schedule winds down this weekend, with the playoffs starting next week.

This weekend's games are the last chance for teams on the bubble in all three leagues to improve their division standings and playoff chances.

The top two teams from each division receive automatic playoff bids, and the intramural staff will decide on other entries as it deems necessary to round out the playoff format.

So, a strong showing this weekend could influence some of these borderline decisions.

The staff and manager's polls are similar this week in the men's and women's leagues. However, the men's Fun league polls offer distinct variations.

Big Stiff Posse (4-0) leads both Fun league polls but the similarities end there.

The Staff poll ranks 12-Pack (4-0) second but, despite an undefeated record, they are fourth in the Managers' poll. Ashbury Jukes (3-1) is second in the Managers' poll but is not ranked in the Staff poll.

ARA Towers and Troops are first and second, respectively, in both men's league polls.

In the women's league, Home Girl Coalition is first and Basic Instinct second in both polls.

This week's high scorers are Sam Hartin, with 37 for Fun Division Two leading Post Mortem Choke Artist, and Robbie Baker, who put in 30 for Fun Division Six leading Return of White Troops.

* * * * * *

Monday, Bill North of Sigma Nu and Kelly Davis won the men's and women's intramural billiards tournaments, respectively.

* * * * * *

The double-elimination soccer tournament concludes this weekend. The two teams left standing will play a best-two-of-three series to decide the championship.

* * * * * *

Softball entries are being accepted until noon today in the Pacific Room of the UC-Underground and will be taken through the middle of next week at room 102 Garrison Gym.

Men's, women's and co-rec leagues are being offered and intramural director Mark Cuhlmann expects about 100 entries.

Co-rec league teams must consist of six men and four women on the field at all times.

Men's and women's teams consist of 10 fielders and an optional designated hitter.

BRIBERY SUSPECT RE-ARRESTED

Lamar Sabastian Adams, 23, was arrested Wednesday for bribery, given five years probation and promptly re-arrested on bad-check charges.

Officials in the Harris County District Clerk's office said Adams is still in jail on the new charge. Bail is set at $500.

If Adams, a junior kinesiology major, successfully completes his probation, his arrest record for bribery will be dropped, according to UHPD's Lt. Malcolm Davis.

LEPPARD'S ROAR DEAFENS SUMMIT CROWD

by Eva Marusak

Conrtibuting Writer

Def Leppard wasn't the only aurally impaired mammal to leave the Summit Saturday night. Many concertgoers left with the residual hum typical of most metal/hard rock concerts, but, like a bad hangover after a great party, it was worth it.

Like the powerful Crusaders of old, Def Leppard gathered on a circular stage to present their "Seven Day Weekend" tour to the faithful masses who chose the band over the rodeo festivities. Just as some went to the rodeo party with the animals, we came to party with critters of a louder kind.

Def Leppard got the audience its their feet by posing a simple question, "Do you wanna get rocked?" It was all the impetus the fans needed to get out of their seats and dance to the happy-go-lucky rhythm of "Let's Get Rocked," the premier cut from their latest release, Adrenalize.

After catching a quick breath of air and a swig of Evian, the band launched into "Tear it Down" (bet you thought I was going to say "Rocket" didn't you?) and followed it up with "Too Late For Love," a golden oldie off <i>Pyromania<p>. They finished off their opening set by easing into the slow, almost waltz-like tempo of "Hysteria."

Although I missed Def Lep on their Hysteria tour, I got a pretty good feeling of what they must have played after listening to SEVEN songs from that album.

Their first EP didn't even have half that many songs! But then I suppose seven songs off <i>Hysteria<p> are better than one song off <i>On Through The Night<p> (although I would've paid big money to hear Joe Elliot sing "Hello America").

Phil "Flamenco" Collen was in fine form, as he plucked a fast-paced Spanish tune from his guitar. Not missing a beat, Collen dove head-first into a turbo-powered riff that surpassed the technique of some "guitar gods" we've all since become bored with.

While some are content to play their scales, Phil takes his playing to the next level by incorporating elements of the Spanish guitar with classical pieces and electrifying the entire sound.

Rick Savage divided his time between bass guitar, guitar and magic keyboards that popped up at important times during the show.

Savage almost got run over by Rick Allen's drum stage (that would have made Def Leppard 0 for 3) but escaped disaster at the last minute.

The "Thunder God," Rick Allen to you and me, was remarkable. I've never seen any one-armed drummers before and I'm sure I'll never see any as great as Allen. He makes drumming look effortless. While his left foot compensates for his missing limb, Allen pounds away with his right hand and foot, keeping the band in time.

It is truly remarkable that this man has enough concentration to keep three things going at once and has time left over to prove himself an exceptional drummer.

Guitarist Vivian Campbell celebrated his first anniversary with the band that evening and gave the crowd a little of what they can expect from him in the future. I still don't know what to make of Vivian; I hear faint sounds of Whitesnake in his playing. His performance was good, but I found myself comparing him to the late Steve Clark.

Joe Elliot, like a decent wine, has improved with age. His vocal range and control have gotten better over the years. You can't really appreciate his abilities on Adrenalize because even the worst singers sound good through the magic of the recording studio. Once you hear them live, however, it doesn't take long to figure out they couldn't hold a tune if it weighed an ounce.

Elliot, however, proved his mettle in the live arena and wowed us all with his somewhat new-found vocal abilities. Maybe he broke down and shed his rock ego to take a few basic voice lessons. Whatever he did, his vocals meshed well with the superb musicianship of his mates.

One last word on Def Lep: Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul, M.C. Hammer and the like are all well-known (renowned even) for their fabulous choreography. I think Def Leppard should be congratulated on their in-the-round choreography. Not once did any of the members collide with one another nor did they stumble about wondering where to go next.

As Allen's drum stage turned left to right, went up and down, and slid from side to side, each member jumped, danced and just plain stayed out of the way without upstaging one another.

What's difficult for many bands to do on a normal stage is fun and games for Def Leppard on their round stage. Let's hope Def Leppard can maintain this stamina and playfulness for years to come.