UH HOLDS ANNIVERSARY VIGIL FOR LATE PRESIDENT

by Karla Mishak Lee

The UH flag flew at half-mast Friday as the university community remembered late UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett one year after her death.

The sun broke through the clouds just as UH President James Pickering began the remembrance service held on the steps of the E. Cullen building. First, he recognized Barnett's mother, Mary Eubanks, and read from a letter faxed from Barnett's widower, Walter King. The letter stated that King could not attend because he was spending the day at Barnett's grave site in Virginia.

Barnett, the first black and first female president of UH, died at the age of 49 from cancer last year. She served as UH president for one-and-a-half years.

Reverend Robert Budewig, the campus' Lutheran minister, offered a word of prayer. "We thank you for her vision for the future that she has instilled in everyone here. Bless those who teach, those who learn, those who administer, that we may apply ourselves diligently to the principles Dr. Barnett set for all of us."

Barnett, the eighth president of UH, was deeply committed to "creative partnerships," or involvement between the university, Houston businesses and community leaders. Under her presidency, UH received a $51 million grant from alumni John and Rebecca Moores, the largest private grant ever given to a public university.

Pickering said, "Like all great leaders, Dr. Barnett gave us a vision of ourselves that was larger than ourselves. It is now our obligation, yours and mine, to continue to close the gap between that vision and reality. And as we do so, to keep that vision that she gave us uppermost in our mind."

Faculty, staff and students attended the service, and those in class at 9:30 a.m. were asked to observe a moment of silence.

Shortly before the service, a professor dropped a white rose into the Cullen Family Plaza Fountain.

Pickering visited the Holman Street Baptist Church immediately following the service for a press conference announcing UH's participation in the Third Ward redevelopment project.

"How ironically appropriate that it should happen on this day, and in fact, in this very hour," he said.

"The two events linked together suggest how well that vision, and that personality, and that ideal she set before us is alive and well here at the University of Houston," he added.

*******************************************************

GREEKS HOLD FORUM

By Mindi King

Greek organizations at UH will meet tonight at the first forum designed to discuss their racial differences and similarities, with the goal of dispelling misconceptions and promoting unity, said Kimberly Agnew, a campus activities advisor and organizer of the forum.

The Greek Week Ebony to Ivory discussions, held tonight in the UC Houston Room at 7:30 p.m., will include open discussions between traditionally white and black Greek organizations on campus.

The goal of the forum is to educate each other and unite the three councils that represent them on campus, Agnew said.

Greek organizations on campus include 13 traditionally white fraternities and six sororities, and four traditionally black fraternities and four sororities.

They are represented by three councils, including the Interfraternity Council for traditionally white fraternities, the Houston Collegiate Panhellenic Association for traditionally white sororities and the National Pan-Hellenic Council for traditionally black fraternities and sororities.

Kelly Morgan, campus activities advisor for the HCPA, said this is the first forum between the organizations and is confident the discussions will make the Greek councils more unified through mutual understanding and communication.

"These discussions will solidify what the organizations have in common and make them appreciate their differences," she said.

Agnew said a Greek Cabinet was formed last year to unite the three councils and promote co-programming between them but has not been as successful as planned.

The Ebony to Ivory discussions will be based on a question/answer session, and a panel of student and advisory council members will answer written questions and will also monitor open discussion between those attending, she said.

Organizers are expecting a

turnout of 200 Greek members, she added.

Organizational differences will be a primary topic for discussion because traditionally white Greek organizations are socially based and black organizations are community-service based, Agnew said.

The three councils are also organized differently and use different terminology, she added.

"The different organizations haven't understood one another in the past," Agnew said, " and have not had the opportunity to come together to discuss these differences until now."

Ronique Gordon, NPHC president, said there is a need for the discussions because although the NPHC was formed a year ago, it has not had a chance to interact with the other two councils until now.

The Ebony to Ivory discussions will stress the similarities between the organizations and will dispel any misconceptions and stereotypes present, Gordon said.

The desired result will be more interactive programs between all members of the Greek community, she added.

Gavin Kaszynski, IFC president, said there needs to be more awareness of the differences and similarities between blacks and whites and men and women. The Ebony to Ivory discussions should clear up any myths about race relations between Greek organizations, he said, and will hopefully spread to a campus-wide effort to improve these relations.

Kate Brasko, president of the HCPA, said there is a lack of understanding and communication between the councils even though they are all serving the same purpose.

"Getting everyone in the Greek system together in open discussions to learn about each other is very positive," she said.

LIBRARY FEE HELPS CAMPUS LIBRARIES INCREASE, MAINTAIN BOOKS, JOURNALS

by Heather Morgan

Since the $15 student library fee began last semester, M.D. Anderson Library has been able to maintain journal subscriptions and buy more books for the libraries on campus, said Kathleen Gunning, assistant director of Public Services and Collection Development.

As of one month ago, the new fee grossed $1.1 million, along with $700,000 contributed by the university administration. The fee money goes toward M.D. Anderson and five other libraries on campus.

Margaret Culbertson, head of the Architecture and Art Library, said the number of books purchased has increased because of the fee.

In previous years, serial subscriptions have been cancelled, but the library has had the money to increase its book supply. Culbertson said the fee will allow the library to continuously increase its volume of materials.

The Architecture and Art Library already has a good collection of materials, Culbertson said. "I think we serve the students very well, given the budget situation," she added.

Students are also understanding about any of the library's limitations, partly because of the coverage of library funding problems reported by The Daily Cougar, she said.

The library has also improved its computer resources with the Art Index granted by the Delphian Scholarship Foundation last year. Its use began last semester and is the first step toward computerization for periodical indexes.

Culbertson said more improvements will be made as long as the additional money from the student fee keeps coming. "I do hope we can strengthen our computer resources, including the CD-ROM (art index)," she said.

She also hopes the staff can be increased and the library's hours lengthened.

Nancy Burden, supervisor of the Pharmacy Library, said students find their basic needs met, but more could be done to increase their resource material availability.

The Techsearch database, which has been used for three years, list journals, brings up articles and gives bibliographical information on special subjects, Burden said.

The library also refers students to Jones Library in the Texas Medical Center or Rice University's library for additional sources, she said.

However, advanced computerization is a future objective, Burden said.

"Our hope is to become connected with the HARLIC database," she said. HARLIC is in Austin and has the ability to answer numerous questions that are manually searched for now.

Suzanne Fermier, an optometry branch librarian, said there are less than 20 optometry libraries nationwide, and the one at UH is the only one in Texas. The library contains specialized journals in optometry, ophthalmology and most vision-related materials.

It houses the largest collection of slides, audio cassettes and video cassettes on campus, Fermier added.

Fermier has visited optometry libraries in California, Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New York. She said there is no official ranking of optometry libraries because of their great variation. However, she added, "We do quite well, actually."

The Optometry Library's success is heightened because of an additional $15,000 provided annually by the College of Pharmacy. "We're unique within the (UH) library system," she said, but added that the library could use improvement.

It uses Techsearch, as the Pharmacy Library does, but students complain the journals listed are mostly located in the Texas Medical Center. Fermier said M. D. Anderson has a good core collection, but specifics are found in the Texas Medical Center.

The student library fee's benefits have not been directly seen since M.D. Anderson controls the budget for the Optometry Library, Fermier added. However, she said the benefits will be evident soon.

The available money will increase substantially, and new journal and book titles will be purchased, she said. The money will mostly go for journals rather than books because journals are more important in health sciences, Fermier added.

Additional goals include more computerization and extra space. Meanwhile, Fermier said she's quite positive about how well the library assists students and manages a tight budget. "We'll make do. We're very good at that," she said.

Sam Hyde, head of the Music Library, said the fee has helped the library, but more periodicals are still needed. The increasing cost of periodicals each year does not help, he added.

The library has books, periodicals and music scores, with an emphasis on classical music. Since 1988, there have been no cancellations of periodicals because, "No consensus can be reached on cancelling anything else," he said. Now the library purchases mostly music scores, which are not as expensive, he added.

Any additional money will buy more periodicals, Hyde said. Another improvement would be more space, and it has not yet been decided whether the new Fine Arts and Music building will provide the additional room.

Hyde said music majors are not at such a disadvantage as other majors when funds are tight. The School of Music focuses on performance rather than research, he said.

The fee also aids the Law Library, but the rest of their budget is handled by the UH Law Center, said Tom Wilson, head of Systems for M.D. Anderson. "The Law Library is a separate administrative unit," he said.

Wilson said there is an effort by M.D. Anderson to expand resources for the whole library system.

For two to three years, the library has been working on the replacement of the Geac computer system, Wilson said. The system is 10 years old and has inadequacies, he added.

The library has not been able to afford the project previously, but it will soon be implemented, he said.

The details on the new system will be available in six to 12 months. "There are exciting times ahead," Wilson said.

SWIMMING AGAINST TIDE; SCHOOL OF FISH STRAY FROM PACK

by Jeff Balke

School of Fish guitarist, Michael Ward, admits the band has matured on its latest release, <i>Human Cannonball<p>.

"We're older and grumpier," he said.

Ward said he is much happier with <i>Human Cannonball's<p> heavier approach.

The Minneapolis native grew up listening to hard rock and country which compliments co-founder, Josh Clayton-Felt's love of more melodic artists like the Beatles and Elvis Costello.

Even George Michael, whose hit "Father Figure" was covered by the band on a live EP was an influence, according to Ward.

"George (Michael) is an influence on anyone with a substantial amount of facial hair," he said.

Ward acts like a frustrated stand-up comic constantly searching for one-liners, but is very serious about the band's music. Pressure to live up to their first album and its hit single, "Three Strange Days," doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

"If you're worried about living up to a song, you don't have anything going anyway," Ward said.

Judging from the strength of the songs on <i>Human Cannonball<p>, living up to their last album shouldn't be a problem. Ward and Clayton-Felt won't need any help on songs, but they do get outside help.

"We get outside stuff, but not in the form of songs," Ward said.

There is also some concern that the band might get lumped into the alternative category. Ward said he is afraid that he would have to wear dirty clothes in order to maintain that image. Also, it would probably hurt their chances of getting to be the opening band on one of Ward's dream tours with Johnny Cash or Waylon Jennings.

All jokes aside, Ward is glad that School of Fish has been blessed with success.

"There are lots of bands who are deserving and never get the breaks (we have). We're very thankful. I count my blessings every day," he said.

When all is said and done, however, Ward's most important work will be the words left on his epitaph, "where can a guy get a damn drink down here?"

ON A ROLL; LOCAL BAND PLAYS TEXAS ROCK

by Dina Griswold

Daily Cougar staff

Defiance may be the word that best describes rock 'n' roll, and the local band that best defies categorization is the Heights' own Hightailers.

This year, the Hightailers were nominated as Houston's Best Folk Band in the Public News' Readers Poll. In the past, the band won the title of Best Rhythm and Blues Band.

Alan "Dogman" Miller, one of the singers and guitarists for the band, described the music of the Hightailers as Gulf Coast rock 'n' roll.

"Gulf Coast" covers everything from swampy Louisiana sounds to the swing/shuffle and rootsy sounds of pure Texan music," Miller said.

"Psychedelic" is another word frequently used to describe the band.

Miller noted it was a Texas band, the 13th Floor Elevators, that first coined the phrase "psychedelic." Then, are the Hightailers just continuing a Texas tradition? Absolutely not.

Mark Slamen, a dedicated fan for the past four years, said the reason the Hightailers are often called psychedelic may be attributed to the positive energy present at each show.

Slamen said Thursday nights at the Last Concert Cafe are especially full of high energy.

The Hightailers have played the Thursday night gigs at Last Concert Cafe for the past four years, which is a mighty good reason not to have classes on Fridays.

The band, whether due to its psychedelic qualities or its ability to retain dedicated fans over the years, has been compared to the Grateful Dead.

The Hightailers do cover Dead tunes, but the band also plays a mix of Chuck Berry, Jimmy Cliff, Bo Diddley and Lou Reed songs, to name a few.

Miller said the band's values about music are similar to the Grateful Dead. The Hightailers strongly believe that the music and the audience come before success in the industry.

The Hightailers expect to release their first CD in March.

The CD, entitled <i>Pretty Words<p>, will include the title track, "She Wants To Know", "Some of My Friends," plus five other original songs and two traditional standards.

After the release, the band plans to make themselves scarce, only playing the regular Thursday gig at Last Concert Cafe and a few other shows around town.

The band was formed four years ago when they broke off from Lips and the Trips to become the Trips.

According to Miller, the fledgling band would change their name every time they played in order to get people to come out and support live music in Houston.

Members of the band have come and go over the years, but bass guitarist Calvin Hall Jr. and Screamin' Kenny have, along with Miller, formed the group's core.

Screamin' Kenny has played in the Texas band Fever Tree and with Steppenwolf -- both popular '60s bands.

Along with the group's core members, players from other local bands occasionally sit in. Guests from other bands have included members of Global Village, Beat Temple and Miss Molly's Whips. Miller said, "We rob every band in town."

CAMPUS SMOKING BAN STARTS TODAY

By Meagan McGovern

Remember smoking in high school? Sneaking a puff of a cigarette in the bathroom stall, hoping you wouldn't get caught?

Welcome back. A campus-wide ban on smoking goes into effect today.

A memo issued by UH President James Pickering on Nov. 19 stated that the policy is designed to eliminate the health risks of secondary smoke.

The policy bans smoking in indoor gathering places, including classrooms, laboratories, food-service areas, lounges, restrooms and storage rooms. Smoking is also prohibited in any vehicles, outdoor areas (where it would present a fire or safety risk) or stadiums owned or leased by the university.

The exceptions to the policy include residential areas if all occupants agree to permit smoking, individual office spaces which have air filters and leased public facilities, such as the Astrodome, UH Hilton and UC Arbor.

Smoking will also be allowed for authorized artistic performances and academic research projects that involve smoking.

The university is providing smoking cessation information and programs free of charge through May 30. Employees are also allowed 20 hours of administrative leave with pay to attend the programs.

Receptacles for extinguishing lighted cigarettes, cigars and pipes will be placed at entrances to some of the heavily used buildings.

According to the smoking policy, "Faculty and employees who violate this policy will be subject to the same disciplinary actions that accompany infractions of other university rules."

This means students who violate the policy may be subject to a "student campus-life disciplinary" procedure. Visitors who refuse to comply can be asked to leave the campus.

While there isn't a fine for breaking the campus smoking policy, anyone who smokes in an area prohibited by state law (classrooms, labs, elevators) will still be subject to fines up to $200.

HOUSTON USES NUMBERS GAME TO PUT AWAY LONGHORNS, 86-79

AUSTIN -- Many times, the box score of a game fails to show what takes place on the court and why one team or another wins.

But Houston's 86-79 triumph over Texas Saturday was strictly a numbers game.

The Longhorns shot a miserable 38.8 percent from the floor, sinking only 33-of-85 field-goal attempts, the third highest shot total Texas attempted this season.

On the flip side, the Cougars took 32 less attempts but connected on 52.8 percent of their field goals with 28-of-53 shooting.

A pleasant surprise for Houston coach Pat Foster was his team's accuracy from the charity stripe. Guard David Diaz, who led the Cougars with 22 points, was 11-of-11 from the line. Rafael Carrasco and Derrick Smith were also perfect with five and four free throws respectively.

"I wanted to get some more fouls and go to the line more," Diaz said. "To win on the road, you have to hit free throws."

Houston connected on its first 17 free throws and finished 26-of-33 (78.7 percent) for the game.

"We were tired from shooting at Baylor," said Anthony Goldwire, whose steal from B.J. Tyler and assist on Carrasco's slam put the game away with 1:23 left. "We wanted to work a little harder and concentrate better today."

Texas went to the line only 15 times, knocking down seven foul shots.

Part of the reason for the Longhorns' absence from the charity stripe was their shot selection. Nearly half of the Horns' field-goal attempts came from outside the paint.

"We missed a lot of good shots," Texas coach Tom Penders said. "We've got to shoot the ball a lot better than we did today, especially from the line."

Penders said Tyler, who saw action for the first time Thursday against Texas Tech after missing 14 games, would have hit more three-pointers if he had fresh legs.

Tyler exploded for 32 points in Lubbock but had just 16 against the Cougars and was 2-of-12 from three-point land.

"We were trying to play hard defense because everybody in the conference knows Texas is going to shoot the ball," said Houston center Charles Outlaw, who picked his game up in the second half to complete a 21-point and seven-rebound effort.

Texas, down 39-35 at the half, fizzled at the three-point arc, draining 6-of-28 for 21.4 percent.

But the Longhorns were able to take more attempts because they beat Houston on the boards 40-36, including a 26-10 margin on offensive rebounds.

"If you stand out there with your hands down, it's not worth a damn," Foster said. "We didn't run our offense very well in the first half. We just kind of floated around."

Despite the first-half flaw, Penders said he believes Houston is going to the show.

"They're an NCAA team," he said. "They don't have to win the (SWC) tournament to go, unless they just stumble now."