HARASSMENT CASE SUPPORTS NEED FOR POLICY

A sexual harassment case involving allegations from a female graduate student aimed at an education professor is raising questions about UH's pending Sexual Assault Task Force policy dealing with sexual harassment.

The policy, which traces its impetus back to an alleged rape in the UH Hilton and an attempted assault of a woman in an Agnes Arnold Hall restroom during the summer of 1992, was recently submitted to President James Pickering for approval.

Allegations by 35-year-old Analinda Moreno that her professor, Hansom Prentice Baptiste, sexually assaulted her were accepted by a UH judicial board last summer.

Baptiste was subsequently suspended without pay from his position as professor and chairman of the College of Education's Educational Leadership and Cultural Studies Department, said Baptiste's lawyer, David Lopez.

"He is still a professor at the university and has not been fired," Lopez said. Baptiste still works in his office keeping up with literature and campus events.

Baptiste, a tenured professor, has already taken action against Moreno's allegations of harassment by suing her for defamation and making false statements, Lopez said. His suit is still pending.

Moreno's lawyer, Yolanda Ryan, is not commenting on a possible counter-suit.

A letter Baptiste received from UH Provost Glenn Aumann relieved him of his official duties after a June 30 hearing by the judicial board last summer.

The case, although not well-publicized, raises questions among students and staff as to whether pending sexual assault legislation will be able to deal with such cases, which officials hope can be settled at the university level.

The board concluded that he harassed Moreno through "unwelcome physical contact" and ruled he would not be able to return to his duties unless a counselor said he was fit to do so.

Though Baptiste initially sought his own counselor, UH's Gerald E. Osborne, director of Counseling and Testing, was given the task of finding a counselor on behalf of the university.

"UH preferred to name a counselor, and for a while, he was actually seeing both of them," Lopez said.

Then a letter was sent to the administration in November from the counselor stating that Baptiste presented no problem and would be fit to teach again, Lopez said.

He has not been reinstated yet, and officials involved with the case were unavailable for comment as to why.

But Baptiste, 53, formerly UH's highest paid African-American professor, is still out of work and is planning to file a lawsuit against the university as early as this Friday.

"We'll be suing to get him (teaching again) at the university," Lopez said. "He is tenured. His employment can't be terminated without a specific process which includes a hearing."

Baptiste maintains that Moreno's charges of sexual harassment stem from her worries over not receiving credit for a joint research project. The study has since been published, and both parties received credit.

Lawyers for both sides contend that the allegations from the opposing sides are "malicious" and "slanderous."

*******************************************************

CENTER TARGETS MEN TO FIGHT DATE RAPE

by Annette Baird

As part of a growing trend to encourage men to take an active part in rape prevention, the UH Counseling and Testing Center is taking the initiative with a program aimed at both sexes.

The center actively tries to involve men in its program. "We go out to fraternities, the Athletic Department, the dormitories and to anyone who requests it," said Ken Waldman, associate director of the center.

The prevention program includes a video presentation and workshop. Dr. Susan Donnell, a staff psychologist at the center, said the program's aim is to educate men and women about date rape.

The video and workshop tried to get people thinking about rape and to dispel myths surrounding rape. "For instance, when a man pays on a date, it does not mean he should expect to have sex with the woman," Donnell said.

Statistics show that one in four college women will be raped or sexually assaulted. "Men need to look at their own behavior; they need to be talking to other men about what's OK, and what's not OK. Typically, men don't talk about it," Donnell said.

The video, "Date Rape Prevention -- What You Can Do," is a series of vignettes showing five different situations where date rape might occur. Donnell said the video provokes lively and sometimes heated discussions.

Junior physics major Stefan Murry said, "Too many guys don't realize the impact rape has on them. It affects our friends, girlfriends and wives." Date rape is not just a woman's issue; it is important to everybody, he added.

Murry coordinated the workshop's presentation for his fraternity, Sigma Chi. Murry said the issue of date rape came up at a fraternity meeting, and the members thought it would be a good idea to increase awareness of date rape. The video prompted a lot of discussion and a positive response, he added.

Jeff Tait, a senior psychology major and a football player, attended the workshop when it was presented to the Athletic Department. He said it was very informative.

"I didn't know what the law stated, and what was against the law when it came to date rape. It is difficult to know what the boundaries are." Tait added that one thing is clear, though. "If a woman says no, even though she might act a different way, it means no."

Darrell Clapp, a senior technology major and a football player, said he learned a lot about what date rape actually is. "Everybody should see the presentation just to open their eyes to what date rape is."

Waldman said date rape is also included in the Substance Abuse Education and Training Programs. STEPS deals largely with substance abuse, although wellness issues in general are included.

"There is a high link between drinking and date rape. Specifically, in about 90 percent of date rapes, there is drinking involved," Waldman said. Rape is less likely to occur if participants haven't been drinking, he added.

ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS ATTACK BUDGET WOES WITH BOOKS

by David Sikes

More than one third of the students in the UH College of Architecture assembled Tuesday to discuss what the proposed budget cuts will mean to them.

Tim Avant, chairman of the College of Architecture Student Leaders, said he called for the town-hall meeting partly to assure students that the college will not merge with another college as proposed by the University Planning and Policy Council.

UPPC dropped the proposal after Robert Timme, dean of the College of Architecture, and his staff convinced them the college should stand alone.

Timme said the college is renowned throughout the United States. He cited a recent study conducted by the college showing that 94 percent of the 1992 graduates have jobs as architects.

Timme told the more than 200 students that the Texas Senate is considering cutting funds to UH by up to $10 million.

Efficiency and fund raising were ideas stressed by Timme to the students as ways to make the lean times easier.

Rusty Hruska, Students' Association president and senior architecture major, encouraged students to write to state legislators about the damages of mortgaging the future of Texas by cutting education funding.

Timme added that even a 7 to 8 percent cut of the college's $1.4 million budget would be devastating.

However, Timme said 25 to 30 percent of the college's expenditures come from non-state funds. This money comes from various fund-raisers and donations, he said.

"Don Smith, a senior architecture student, called about 100 famous professional architects, asking them to send an autographed copy of books they've written to UH. The books will be auctioned to raise money for the college. We've been receiving about six books a week," Timme said.

College of Architecture Student Leaders is made up of the leaders of 18 student groups within the College of Architecture. The group meets every Thursday to discuss problems and to suggest solutions. Timme attends every other meeting.

Avant said he's encouraged by the turnout of Tuesday's meeting and hopes to have two town-hall meetings each semester.

Lee Cisneros, a senior architecture major, said, "I think the idea of having a voice in where the college is going is good. All the colleges should be doing it."

FRANCE, SPAIN TRIPS OFFER MORE THAN CLASS CREDITS

by Heather Morgan

Instead of just earning credit hours, students bar-hopped, formed special friendships, fell in love and even changed career goals because of the French and Spanish summer program trips.

Each summer, the French and Spanish departments offer students the opportunity to earn foreign language credit hours by traveling to France or Spain, and living with native families while attending classes.

However, out of six former participants who were interviewed, all agreed their earned credit hours were at the bottom of the benefits list.

Robyn Kratzer, a 1990 graduate who went to Bourges, France, in the summer of 1989, said she had a wonderful experience.

Students' ages ranged from the teens to the 50s. "It was a real magical blend of personalities and ages, " Kratzer said. "There was something almost predestined about the special group of people."

She said unplanned events, such as singing in a pub, made her trip exceptional. "There were a number of people in our group who were musically inclined."

She and other students gathered during their lunch breaks and sang songs ranging from Bob Dylan to Patsy Cline to the Beatles.

Four students, including Kratzer, were even offered the chance to perform three sets of gigs one night at Pub Jacobin, where they had become acquainted with the owner, she said. They performed American music to a packed audience of about 150 people, she added.

In the future, Kratzer plans to return to France for several month each year, when her career allows. She came back from France a different person. "I could've lived there the rest of my life," she said.

Michael Heyman, a 1987 graduate, said, "It (France) is my favorite place in the world." He also went during the summer of 1989. Heyman said the opportunity to visit Roman archaeological ruins, hang out in cafes and restaurants and mingle with the French people highlighted his trip.

Further enriching his experiences was the special colleague he fell in love with that summer. But he said even without the romance, the trip would have still been special to him.

Bob Nowak, a 1987 graduate, went in 1989 as a teaching assistant, but he had also participated as a student for three consecutive summers, beginning in 1985, he said.

Today Nowak uses French as part of his job as the manager for the Visitor Information Center for the Greater Houston Convention Bureau. He said people are impressed when they come in and learn he can speak French. "It changed my life totally because my thought processes became global rather than national," he added.

Linda Piazza, a senior English major, went on the Spanish Department's trip to Salamanca, Spain, in the summer of 1992. She said her most treasured experience was her trip to Alberca, a small village where people still live as they did hundreds of years ago.

People carried goods on burros, picked cherries in the orchards, and it seemed the most normal thing for a newborn calf to wander down the narrow stone street, she said.

"It was something I would've never learned if I hadn't gone," Piazza added.

Sandy Gaw, a senior psychology and Spanish major, went to Spain last summer and wished the program was longer. One of her favorite pastimes was sitting in cafes and talking with two friends she made.

Gaw like all the sites, but the cathedrals fascinated her. "It was so meticulous in the way they did them," she said.

Gaw said she benefited tremendously because she wants to be a Spanish teacher. "The trip really influenced me," she said.

Kim Raney, a post-baccalaurate, took the trip in 1992. She said the trip gave her the opportunity to improve her Spanish because she learned informal vocabulary. "I hung around with the locals," she said.

Salamanca's night life consisted of several bars and clubs that attracted foreigners, she said. Raney did a lot of bar-hopping at night, and each club had its own style and type of music and dancing, she said.

A favorite site of hers was Madrid's El Escorial, an enormous cathedral adorned in gold and ancient arts.

She also witnessed a bullfight during her stay in Salamanca. The event was controversial because bullfights have not occurred in many years in the city, she said.

FEE SUPPORTS STUDYING ABROAD

by Debbie Callier

Scholarship money is now available for UH students to study abroad.

For many years, the university has supported study abroad at the college or department level, but this university-wide scholarship funding represents a change in policy, UH officials said.

More than $60,000 has been raised by a $1 per semester International Fee included on students' fee bills since the fall semester. All of the funds will be used for scholarships.

None of it is used for administration or faculty expenses, said David Judkins, campus coordinator for the London Study Abroad Program, but a small percentage is targeted to bring students to UH from less- developed countries where an equivalent education is not available.

To be eligible, a student must first apply and be accepted in a foreign study program.

Students will compete for the scholarships on the basis of need and merit.

Need takes into account the added expenses and loss of income that accompany living abroad.

Some students who would not qualify for scholarships at UH, while residing in Houston, might qualify abroad. For instance, the student who lives at home and has a job here would have both added living expenses and income loss.

Merit is determined by the program the student is attending, as well as the student's academic background and grades.

"Sending a French major to France has more merit than sending a French major to London," Judkins said.

The money awarded ranges from $500 for a summer session to $1,000 for one semester and can be used for any phase of the program, including air fare.

"It won't pay the whole way, but it will help. The idea behind it is to encourage students to study abroad," Judkins said.

Applications are available in the deans' offices in all the colleges.

UH programs will get higher priority than other programs, but the scholarships won't exclude other study-abroad programs.

A wide variety of programs are on file in the Hispanic and Classical Languages Department office and the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Jack Burke, director of International Student and Scholar Services, said this scholarship will significantly increase the number of students who go abroad.

Just paying the $1 per semester fee will remind them that the money is available, Burke said. "Having the money available will entice some people to look into study-abroad opportunities."

Internationalizing curriculums has become a priority in Texas universities since the Texas Legislature authorized universities to charge the $1 fee, Burke said.

The deadline to apply for scholarships is March 15.

GAMES!

by Ambir Davis

The UC game room offers ping-pong, billiards, bowling and a video arcade, but many students don't use the facility.

Ray Robba, a senior finance major, said, "The main reason I don't go there is that they don't advertise any drink specials. And there's never any girls there."

Robba said that often one person will play the same game for a long period of time. "There should be a time limit," he said. They shouldn't be able to dominate a game like that."

Robba also said that the 50-cent games are too expensive.

Tessa Wilkins, a junior training and development major, said, "I have been to the game room only one time." She was shocked that beer was sold on campus: "It seems weird that they would promote that at the university."

Dean McCrory, a senior marketing major, said, "I have been (to the game room) about five times." In those five times, McCrory said he went to drink beer and to play ping-pong.

The game room is well equipped and the prices are fair, he said. But McCrory agreed with Robba on one issue: "For whatever reason, there is a lack of women there."

Brandi Horne, a senior business major, said, "I've only been there because I'm taking a bowling class." This semester was Horne's first time going to the game room. "I didn't even know we had a bowling alley on campus," she said.

Horne said that because UH is such a commuter school, many students don't hang out at the UC. "Advertising would help," she added.

Andy Diaz, a UH alumni who received his degree in industrial distribution, said, "I always went to the game room to pass time between my classes." Normally, he would spend about three hours a week in the game room, he said. There were always good games but never enough pinball machines, Diaz added.

Tom Seibel, a UH alumni with a degree in marketing, said, "I used to spend about two to three hours a week in the game room." Seibel said he often had intentions of going to the library to study, but would end up in the game room instead.

Seibel agreed with Robba that some games are too expensive. "Being a college student with limited disposable income, I did not appreciate having to spend 50 cents to play one game."

Seibel said the game room is important to have on campus. "It helped me to relieve the stress from the everyday bump and grind of school."

GROUPS OFFER SPRING BREAK ALTERNATIVES

by Ambir Davis

Spring Break is usually associated with the beach, bikinis and booze; but this year, UH students will be offered an alternative.

"What we're pushing are alternative ways to have fun to help people make healthier personal choices," said Amy Wortham, program coordinator for Substance Abuse Training and Education Programs. Wortham said one of the goals of STEPS is to get students "away from the beach and getting blitzed."

According to information published for Houston Crack Down's "Let's Draw the Line" campaign, typical American college students spend more money on beer than they do on textbooks.

An alternative Spring Break activity is "UH House Party 1993." Matt Westrup, president of the student organization Promoting Responsible Informed Decisions through Education, said, "Instead of going out, wrecking your car and getting wasted, you can help build a house for needy people."

Westrup said, "We promote responsible drinking. We're not prohibitionists either."

A Spring Break activity for the residents of Moody Towers, sponsored by the Residence Halls Association, STEPS and PRIDE, is called "Fun in the Sun." Those attending will receive Spring Break survival kits and will be asked to sign a Spring Break pledge.

Wortham said, "We are putting together 2000 Spring Break survival kits with items such as an alcohol calculator to calculate blood-alcohol level."

PRIDE, a charter member of BACCHUS, which stands for Boost Alcohol Consciousness Concerning the Health of University Students, will ask student residents to sign a pledge not to drink and drive, and not to let friends drink and drive.

Students who sign the pledge will also be registered in the Eagle Jeep giveaway sponsored by BACCHUS and Chrysler.

BACCHUS is also putting up stands in Corpus Christi, Texas and Fort Lauderdale, Fla. BACCHUS will " be passing out information on the effects of alcohol and the costs of alcohol," Westrup said. "The total cost of one DWI comes to several thousand dollars."

STEPS, which is funded by UH and a grant from the Fund for Improvement of Post Secondary Education, began last April. Wortham said, "April is National Alcohol Awareness Month, and our grand opening was our way of celebrating that."

She said, "You can't talk about drugs and alcohol without talking about HIV and acquaintance rape because they're interrelated."

STEPS offers workshops and outreach classes by request. "We will custom design our outreach for a group's request. For example, if a sorority called and said they wanted to have us talk about alcohol, our angle might be how alcohol affects women."

Gail Hudson, principal investigator for the FIPSE grant and psychological counselor for the UH Department of Counseling and Testing, said, "About 55 to 60 percent of women say alcohol was involved in their sexual assault, especially acquaintance rape. "About 75 percent of men involved in a sexual assault say alcohol was involved. You just can't address these issues without talking about drugs and alcohol."

Hudson said the "focus for Spring Break should be on creating memories in your life. In addition to having fun, make sure you're making safe, sound decisions." She said safer decisions are made when one is sober.

The UH House Party '93, sponsored by the Metropolitan Volunteer Program, STEPS and PRIDE in collaboration with the Houston Habitat, will take place March 22-27.

"Fun in the Sun" will be held from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. on March 17 at Moody Towers.

For more information on alternative Spring Break activities, contact STEPS at 743-5455.

PRIDE and STEPS are located on the top floor of the UC.

SOCIETY HONORS STUDENTS, FACULTY

by Christine Law

How did a university organization commend 400 UH faculty, administrators and students for all their hard work and contributions this past year?

The UH chapter of the Golden Key National Honor Society hosted a reception for all new inductees Sunday, March 7.

During the reception, new members were recognized and inducted into the organization, two scholarships were awarded and two outstanding faculty members and one administrator were inducted as honorary members.

The two UH faculty members honored were Hospitality Law Assistant Professor Stephen Barth and Chemical Engineering Assistant Professor Jay Schieber. The UH administrator honored was the Dean of Students' assistant, Kamran Riaz.

Barth and Schieber are the current advisors for the UH chapter of Golden Key. Riaz served as the former chapter advisor and is now a co-advisor.

Membership to the organization is by invitation only. From each of the 180 collegiate chapters at universities across the country, full-time and part-time juniors and seniors who are in the top 15 percent of their class are eligible to join Golden Key.

Students are chosen on the basis of their academic standing, and each chapter is given the opportunity to determine its specific grade-point requirements. According to Daphanie Boyett, president of UH's Golden Key, UH students must have at least a 3.2 GPA to qualify for Golden Key membership.

Each Golden Key chapter presents two scholarships to one junior and one senior member annually.

Also, each year at a national Golden Key ceremony, several $10,000 scholarships are awarded to graduate students.

Nationally, Golden Key has awarded more than $750,000 in scholarships to its members, and the organization has more than 350,000 lifetime members and 4,200 honorary members.

Each Golden Key chapter holds regular meetings, and opportunities are offered to members and non-members to participate in activities to promote academic achievement on campus. Opportunities to engage in community service or attend social functions are offered as well.

Boyett said, "Golden Key would like to increase awareness of our organization. When I transferred here, I didn't know this organization existed. Recently, since last fall, there has been a 75 percent increase in awareness of Golden Key at UH."

In the future, Barth said he would also like to promote more awareness of Golden Key and to strengthen and increase members' participation in community service. "Students involved in Golden Key are extremely enthusiastic about services dealing with the community," Barth added.

At UH, Golden Key has been active in the EXCEL Program and has offered help to new and incoming students concerning any questions or problems about the university. In addition, the group also offers personal counseling.

"Workshops have been offered to students who want to improve personal skills and who desire to become better people and make a contribution to society," Boyett said.

In the area of community service, the organization has been sponsoring "The Best of America," a national alcohol and drug abuse prevention effort directed at elementary-school youth across the country.

"Our UH chapter is looking to include an AIDS awareness program into 'The Best of America.' " Boyett added. "We are involved in inner-city schools, and Golden Key hopes to make a contribution to Houston."

The main purpose of Golden Key is to recognize and encourage scholastic achievement and excellence. The organization continues to strive to unite collegiate faculties and administrators in developing and maintaining high standards of education.

Barth said the Golden Key National Honor Society has much to offer UH students. "Golden Key gives you national recognition of achievement and personal satisfaction by helping you get to know exactly what can generate that personal satisfaction."

PROFESSORS PROPOSE SOLUTIONS TO RACE ISSUES

by Annette Baird

W.E.B. Dubois predicted that race would be the dominant issue of the 20th century. "He was completely right," said Stephen Mintz, associate professor of history.

Racial issues will continue to be on top of the political agenda, he added.

The question of what the future holds for African-Americans in terms of gaining more equality and opportunity received various answers from UH professors.

In the area of race relations, Robert Graves, associate director of African-American Studies, is pessimistic, especially when he sees the current attitudes of young white people. In general, institutionalized racism is not challenged in this country, Graves said.

Darren Davis, a doctoral candidate in political science, agreed: "Racism has changed. It is more covert than it was before. The American public wants to appear politically correct, but racism has taken on different tones."

Mintz said, "Most whites don't like to think of themselves as racist. Those who do are more sophisticated than they used to be. They have a new set of code words." However, whites have attitudes toward crime and poverty that are racist, and whites' sentiments are based on racial stereotypes, Mintz said.

Bruce Oppenheimer, a political science professor, said he hopes in the future, people don't look for race as a reason for why things happen. "At some point, people have to say, 'Enough's enough.' People have to live together and realize the cost of racial tensions to society."

James Anderson, an educational leadership and cultural studies professor, said he is optimistic, "but it won't be easy."

Once African-Americans get a clear understanding of their identity, they can define and articulate their issues, needs and concerns, Anderson said. "It will have an empowering effect on them. It is important that we maximize opportunities to bring ourselves together for the good of the whole."

An expanded leadership of African-Americans in the political arena in the last 20 years should make one hopeful, Mintz said. "(Political power) is still not proportionate to the black population. Out of 8,000 state legislators, only 400 are blacks."

Unfortunately, a separation of races in housing and education is widespread, and the income and employment gap is widening, Mintz said.

Kent Tedin, chairman and professor of political science, said there is more equality and opportunity for middle-class blacks. There is a substantial black underclass that is not able to integrate itself into the American work force, Tedin said. The chances for this underclass to attain equality and opportunity are poor, he added.

Davis said people are quick to say certain problems are rampant in the black community. No one knows why blacks feel a certain way, Davis added. "People are relying on their own opinions -- that is the injustice."

Graves said there is a need for greater cultural diversity in the core curriculum, and leadership in this country comes from the universities and colleges.

Anderson said, "As ethnicity becomes a realization in our society, we have to re-think the power configuration. That is the challenge." Diversity and ethnicity can be seen as a tremendous asset, he said, because it gives people multiple perspectives and a variety of viewpoints on problem-solving and leads to greater creativity.

Davis said his political solution to deal with institutionalized racism involves systematically analyzing the effects of racism and discrimination.

Davis said it is about time for black students to start doing something. He said they should get away from political opinions and be systematic about measuring people's perceptions and come to conclusive evidence.

Graves said in the future political spectrum, there will be ebbs and tides for African Americans. He foresees a much stronger initiative from the Mexican-American community which will benefit everyone.

FABULOUS FIVE LEAVE LASTING MEMORIES

Twenty years from now, five former Southwest Conference women's basketball players will have a frayed memory book on their book shelves.

The book will be hard to completely close, with newspaper clippings yellowed with age and team photos sticking out of the top.

It has been an epic in the making for Sheryl Swoopes, Krista Kirkland, Margo Graham, Vicki Hall and Cinietra Henderson. All five are seniors from SWC schools who will leave a rich legacy of dedication to their craft -- the art of basketball.

Once known as shadows behind older siblings, the players are in the spotlight now soaking up the adulation from fans in and around the conference.

Grabbing much of the national limelight is senior forward Sheryl Swoopes from Texas Tech.

The NCAA statisticians have been busy keeping up with Swoopes and her scoring rampage.

Second in the country, averaging 26.2 percent points a game, Swoopes has led the No. 7 Red Raiders to the first place berth in the SWC. The Washington Huskies witnessed her point power earlier this year when she ran up 43 points in one game.

Swoopes is also ranked 17th in the steal department, averaging 3.6 a game.

Her presence in the SWC has been felt as well.

From the free-throw line she sinks 84.4 percent of her baskets, good enough for second place in the conference. Averaging 8.7 rebounds a game, Swoopes has also locked onto that second place spot.

She is ranked fourth in the conference with 4.6 assists a game.

Swoopes partner in crime is fellow Red Raider, guard Krista Kirkland. She can also be found in the NCAA statistic list, ranked eighth with an overall for three-point percentage with 0.45 percent.

No stranger to the top of the SWC list, she is first in assists with 5.6 per game and leads the conference with 44.5 percent when shooting the trey.

A formidable presence on the court, Cougar post Margo Graham joins the ranks of outstanding SWC seniors.

Graham leads the conference in blocked shots, averaging 1.5 a game. She can also be found under the basket pulling down 8.9 rebounds a game, which is good enough for a first place spot in the conference. In addition to high defensive numbers, she also contributes 13.4 points a game.

Rounding out the top seniors in the SWC are two Texas competitors, center Cinietra Henderson and forward Vicki Hall.

Tied for first place with the Red Raiders in the SWC, the Longhorns pick up where the other conference leaders left off.

Henderson is also familiar with the NCAA ranks. She is fourth in the country for shooting percentage with 65.4 percent, as well as first in the SWC with 65.9 percent. She averages 7.5 rebounds a game and can be counted on for at least one blocked shot a game.

The other participant in the Texas tandem is Hall. The All-American candidate is sixth in the SWC in scoring with 14.5 a game. At 6-1, Hall pulls down 7.8 rebounds a game as well as popping off three pointers to rank her fifth in the SWC for 33.3 percent.

CONFIDENT NEWCOMER LEADS LADY COOGS TO SWC TOURNEY

by Jason Ramirez

The name Andi Jackson is not at all spelled the way it looks or sounds. C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-C-E is more like it.

Jackson, a senior forward, made the most of her first season with the Lady Cougars basketball team. She was voted Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year by the Houston Post.

"I try to be the very best player that I possibly can," Jackson said. "And when I'm on that court, I feel like I can play against anybody."

Jackson finished the regular season as the Cougars' leading scorer at 13.6 points per game and was the leading free-throw shooter at 80.3 percent.

"At the beginning of the season, coach Jessie Kenlaw wanted me to be more of a defensive player. But when I proved myself she was able to realize that I was indeed a scorer," she said.

Going into the SWC tournament in Dallas, Jackson remains optimistic about her team's chances, despite all the inconsistency that has plagued the Cougars this year.

"We are real excited about it," she said. "We hope the tournament turns out like some of our losses this year."

Jackson was referring to the fact the players usually did their best at the end of games when they were behind.

"Now that we are behind at the end of the season," Jackson said, "we hope that the tournament is our time to play well."

Jackson lettered in basketball at Westbrook High School in Beaumont, Texas, before playing three years at North Texas State and then walking on with Houston.

"I was originally supposed to play last year with the Cougars," Jackson said. "But I wasn't put on scholarship until toward the end of the first semester. So Kenlaw and I decided that it would be best if I just joined the team in '92-'93.

"I knew that I could play competitive Division I basketball, which I wasn't getting enough of at North Texas."

With the likes of Sheryl Swoopes and Krista Kirkland of Texas Tech and Cinietra Henderson of Texas, competitive is all it has been for Jackson in the SWC.

"The competition here (in the SWC) keeps me in better shape," she said. "And since I'm so confident and competitive, I can run straight through being tired and won't come out of a game unless someone pulls me out."

With that in mind, there was no stopping Jackson on Feb. 10 when the Cougars took on then No.11 Tech at Hofheinz Pavilion.

In a 88-70 Cougar loss, Jackson won the one-on-one battle with Swoopes, scoring 25 points. "I'd have to say that was my most memorable moment here," she said.

It would be more memorable, however, if Jackson and her teammates could win the tournament coming up in Dallas.

That win is spelled V-I-C-T-O-R-Y.

UNIQUE CLASSES SPICE UP EDUCATION

by Rafe Wooley

This university has more to offer than reading, writing and arithmetic. Take, for instance: Listening to Music, Aerobics, Wine Appreciation, and Driver's Education and Traffic Safety.

All of these classes are offered at UH and can be found by taking a more discerning look at the class schedule.

Diane Bates, a senior journalism major, said she originally registered for Listening to Music because it filled a degree requirement, but she didn't realize how much she was going to enjoy the class.

"He makes learning about composers fun. It's like reading a trashy novel; you find out all the dirt about the composer's lives," Bates said.

The aerobics class filled a degree requirement for sophomore engineering major David Haskins.

"I like aerobics for the first five minutes, then I need a break," he said. "It's harder than most people think, especially guys. I challenge any guy that thinks it's easy to take a UH aerobics class."

Driver's Education and Traffic Safety will not teach students how to drive. The class prepares students to be driving instructors in high schools.

Marvin Reichle has been teaching the class at UH since 1975.

"I get a lot of students who want to learn how to drive, and that's not what this class is about," he said. "The class will not reduce your insurance, or take care of a ticket either."

And, in short, Wine Appreciation is not a class that prepares students for Spring Break. Instead, it is a class for students in the Hotel and Restaurant Management program.

The class is taught by Clive Berkman of Houston's downtown restaurant Charlie's 517.

So the next time registration rolls around, browse through the class schedule and register for a class that will give your degree plan some spice, like Ethnic Dance, Karate, Golf or Scuba Diving.