JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS OVER - SA RECOUNT

by David Sikes

Just when the Students' Association thought the election was behind them, someone said, "Recount."

The election commission replied, "Oops."

A mistake was found in Friday's SA election results.

It seems that three votes were not counted in the original tabulation of a race which involved only 30 ballots.

The election code does not provide for random recounts even though a 10 percent discrepancy was discovered in the position 1 senate race in the College of Education.

The recount was called in the Education senate 1 race involving Thao Vuong and Crystal Wallace. The votes were 13 for Wallace, 14 for Vuong. Vuong had won -- so she thought.

However, at Monday's SA meeting, after a recount called by speaker of the senate Michelle Palmer, the extra ballots tied the race at 15 each.

"The fact that a recount changed the vote count in one race would probably suggest that it would be a good idea to recount the other races, especially in light of the inherent problems of scan-trons," said student regent Mitch Rhodes.

Ballots are counted by scan-tron machines originally. Only in the event of a recount do humans see the ballots.

"They (machines) have never been 100 percent accurate, but it's the best system we have," said David Daniells, assistant director of Campus Activities.

Assistant election commissioner Natalie Sinn did the recount, and the results were checked by Daniells.

The election code provides for candidates with any just cause to ask for a recount within 24 hours of the announcement of the election results.

"Candidates have full responsibility in the case of a close race recount," Daniells said.

The election code does not provide for a recount simply because a mistake is found in another race, Daniells said.

"That's the election commissioner's decision to do a recount. There is room for error because they (election commission) were rushed to get the results out by the 12 p.m. deadline they had announced. I think it was a pressure situation," said SA senator Cipriano Romero.

According to the election code, the results are not final until the election is certified by the chief election commissioner no more than seven days after the election.

However, the deadline for recounts was Monday, so unless a candidate has violated the election code, the present results will stand.

In this particular case, the results of the mistake did not change the outcome of the race. The senate voted 11 to 5 in favor of Vuong.

"There's so many holes in the new (election) code," Vuong said. "I think it's sad that it happened because she (Crystal) lost twice."

*******************************************************

NEW COURSE TO EXPLORE RACISM

by Tony D. Canady

A new course designed to challenge the way students think about race will be offered this fall as a part of the African-American Studies program.

Comparative Studies in Racism will be taught by Morris Graves, the associate director of African-American Studies.

Graves decided he wanted to teach the class because he wanted to get back into the classroom environment.

"My field of expertise is comparative government, so it will be exciting to share my knowledge with the students," Graves said.

The class will be a 4000 level senior seminar class limited to 25 students. Although Graves has not decided the exact curriculum for the class, he has decided what topics will be covered. The class will fill a requirement for a minor in AAS.

"We will look at the competing definitions of racism and develop a clear understanding that there is no one exact definition of the word racism," Graves said.

The class will also look at the psycho-social perspective of racism.

"We will look at how racism can become internalized and cause self-hatred. This perspective can help explain why there is so much black and black crime," Graves said.

The political and socio-economic aspects will also be examined. Graves said he wants the students to know how much it is costing this country in dollars and cents to continue racist practices.

The class is not designed to change the students' view of racism, but to give material to support the views the students may have already developed.

"By the time students reach their senior year in college, they have already developed their own ideas about racism. I want the student to be able to tell me why, and how they believe their views by showing supporting statements of things we have discussed in class," Graves said.

UH ASTRONAUT LECTURE TODAY

by Kristine Fahrenholz

When students gaze into the sky dreaming of the future, UH alumnus Bonnie J. Dunbar may be looking back.

Dunbar, the second woman in space, will be on campus today.

She has flown on three space shuttle flights as a mission specialist.

In 1978, she earned the Rockwell International Engineer of the Year and most recently was honored with the Judy Resnik award.

Dunbar earned a doctorate in biomedical engineering from UH in 1983 and continues to interact with UH engineering students.

Dunbar completed shuttle mission STS-50 last summer. The research involved on the mission included microgravity materials science research, a topic about which Dunbar will lecture in room W122 of the College of Engineering at 2:30 p.m. today.

Ralph Metcalfe, a professor in mechanical engineering, said Dunbar will show films, slides and give information about the shuttle flight and space stations.

POLITICAL SCIENCE PROFESSOR WINS AWARD

by Rhonda Compton

An assistant professor of the political science department, Richard E. Matland, was awarded the Southern Political Science Association Award at the 1992 conference for a submitted paper on the topic of women in politics.

"The award was a pleasant surprise," Matland said. "I think it will do a lot for UH. It will show that UH has an extremely good political science department. In the South, there are only one or two as good as UH, and this award helps prove this."

The annual S.P.S.A. meeting, held in Atlanta, chose Matland's paper out of 50 submissions. The paper was a joint effort with graduate student and teacher assistant, Deborah Dwight-Brown, who Matland said spent much time slaving in front of the computer.

"I hope it brings prestige to UH and acknowledges women and their accomplishment in politics," Dwight-Brown said. "I think as a graduate student, it was a positive experience working with a professor and coming out with a product. I appreciate Professor Matland allowing me to work with him and wish more professors would do the same."

Kent Tedin, chairman of the political science department, said of Matland, "This is good for his career. He is a young guy just starting out, and this award will take notice of him."

The paper, titled District Magnitude's Effect on Female Representation in the U.S. State Legislature, was published in November 1992 issue of Legislative Studies Quarterly.

The paper presented reasons why multimember districts give women an advantage in specific electoral representation, Matland said.

PONIES OUST LADY COOGS FROM SWC CLASSIC, 96-80

Despite guard Michelle Harris' 30 points, Southern Methodist ousted the Houston Lady Cougars with a 96-80 victory in the quarterfinals of the Southwest Conference tournament Wednesday at Moody Coliseum in Dallas.

"We had nothing to lose tonight so I just started looking for my shot early, and they were going in so I kept on shooting," said Harris, who shot 13-of-24 from the field, including 3-of-6 from three-point land.

As a team Houston shot 44.4 percent from the floor and 76.5 from the free-throw line. The Lady Mustangs shot 53.2 percent from the field, including 43.8 percent from behind the arch, and 88.5 percent from the charity stripe.

"We didn't shoot as well in the second half," Houston coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "We gave them too many three-pointers at inopportune times to stay with them."

The game marked the last time senior post Margo Graham will play for the Cougars. Graham finished the game with 15 points and eight rebounds.

"I guess it won't sink in that my career is over until I wake up tomorrow," Graham said.

In other quarterfinals, Baylor defeated Texas A&M, 63-61; Texas Tech beat Texas Christian, 107-50; and Texas defeated Rice, 00-00.

In today's semifinals at Reunion Arena, Baylor takes on Texas Tech at 6:30 p.m. and SMU plays Texas at 8:30 p.m.

FUN-PACKED GUYS WIN INTRAMURALS HOOPS TITLE

For the guys of 12-Pack, fun-league intramural sports are just what they're supposed to be. Fun.

"We put the fun back into fun league," senior co-manager Glenn Wilson said.

Monday's 57-54 victory over HPER Men capped an undefeated hoops season, and marked the second intramural championship this year for the group of friends from the ninth, 12th and 14th floors of Moody Towers-South. 12-Pack also claimed the fun-league football championship, with a 20-6 victory over Dorm Scum.

The team consists of friends and neighbors, with none of the ringers associated with many intramural teams.

"We just got a bunch of guys together to play football and basketball," junior Ruben Rocha said.

Those guys are: juniors; Rocha, Eddie Abrego, Robert Rojas, sophomore; Eric Kalison and freshmen; Peter Clark, Bret Fulkerson, Derrick Hawkins, Brad Walden and Edwin Sai.

The Pack compiled a 17-1 overall record in the two sports this year. Their only loss came to HPER in the football regular season, perhaps giving some extra incentive for the basketball final.

"If we had lost to HPER in basketball that would have been the only team we'd lost to this year," Rocha said.

They beat HPER thanks to the balanced scoring of Hawkins (19 points) and Fulkerson (14 points) combined with the same tenacious defense they displayed all season. The defense didn't allow any HPER player to score more than Christopher Casarez's 13 points.

"The strength of the team was Brett, inside and Derrick on the outside," co-manager Abrego said, of the pair he assisted with his passing from the point guard position.

"We weren't the best team in the league, but we played together as a team," Hawkins said. "That's why we won the championship."

This assessment of the team is one that was seemingly lost on intramural poll voters.

Despite a pre-season No. 1 ranking, 12-Pack was snubbed in the mid-season polls because voters said its superb defense couldn't carry a perceived lack of offense.

"We were pre-ranked at No. 1 but still they knocked us down to three and four despite our winning," Abrego said.

"All season long they (the voters) undermined our ability and denied us the respect we deserve. Last night we proved our worth," Fulkerson said.

Also proving, or reaffirming, their worth on Monday was another team from the Towers.

The food-service-sponsored ARA Towers won their second-straight Men's league championship with a 74-51 blowout victory over the Assassins. The game marked the third straight basketball finals appearance for the Towers.

Trevor Lemon lead all scorers with 20 points and Cody Beyers was the deadliest Assassin, hitting the mark for 12 points.

The HPER Women faired better than their counterparts. They defeated Lady Troops 34-23 to claim the Women's league championship.

DANCE TROUPE INSPIRES VISIONS

by Rebecca McPhail

The University of Houston Dance Theatre's vision is finally a reality this weekend.

A collection of widely varied pieces, Dance Vision spotlights the work of UH faculty, staff and several guest choreographers.

On Friday, March 12 and Saturday, March 13 at 8 p.m., the Dance Theatre will present Dance Vision at the Cullen Performance Hall.

This weekend's performances are the culmination of months of preparation.

The dancers were auditioned in last September and the guest choreographers were contacted last October, said Victoria Loftin, faculty member of the UH dance department.

As well as working behind the scenes in the dance department, Loftin choreographed one of the works on the program, "Sacred Places."

The piece was inspired by a trip Loftin took to Notre Dame.

"It's a nostalgic piece for me," she said. "I was affected by the ancientness of the place. It's so incredibly beautiful to be so old."

Joanna Friesen, chair of the dance department, also choreographed a piece in the program.

Her work, "When I'm Old (I Will Celebrate My Life With Dance)", commemorates her fiftieth birthday last year.

The piece features five dancers of varying ages. Among the performers is Suzanne Garrison, after whom UH's Garrison gym is named, Loftin said.

For her other piece, "Suits" Friesen utilizes inexperienced male dancers from her asthetics class to explore the diversity of people from different value systems.

"She drafted them into her pieces," Loftin said. "It was real neat to see them get involved."

The other dancers in the program, however, didn't gain such easy entrance into the program.

The Dance Theatre held auditions for Vision last September. Only 10 dancers were chosen.

Dance Vision stage manager Robin Loe, a kinestesiology major, chose to work behind the scenes because she couldn't fulfill the time commitment necessary to be a dancer.

But, as Loe found out, working behind the scenes can be just as grueling.

"This week, we're there every day," she said. "I have to control whatever goes on backstage and make sure everyone's in the right place at the right time."

Although there are other performances during the year, the faculty recital has special significance to the dancers.

"They only get to perform 20 times during the year," Loftin said, "and this is definitely their biggest performance. It's a lot of work but they love it."