COOGS TO FACE TEXAS IN WEEKEND SERIES

by Jason Ramirez

Facing the No. 1 Texas Longhorns at this point in the season is not what the UH baseball team had in mind.

The Cougars, 19-9 (0-3), will take their four-game losing streak into Austin where they'll kick off a three-game series at 7 p.m. today at Disch-Falk Field.

Houston has lost eight of its last 10 games, including a 9-5 loss in its most recent contest Tuesday against the Sam Houston State Bearkats at Cougar Field.

The Longhorns, 24-4, will be playing their first conference game of the season and are showing all signs of deserving their No. 1 ranking.

They are led by all-everything pitcher-outfielder Brooks Kiescnick, who leads the Southwest Conference in home runs (9), pitching victories (8) and strike outs (48).

First baseman Braxton Hickman has been a Texas hero this season as well. He leads the SWC in RBIs (37), hits (45) and total bases (75).

About the only thing that has gone right for Houston in recent weeks is the play of third baseman Ricky Freeman, who leads the conference with a .432 batting average and also has 28 RBIs to his credit.

Things don't bode well for the Cougars because they're on a bit of a skid. But should they win either of the three games, any thoughts of a possible slump may be out the window.

*******************************************************

STUDENT FOUNDATION HELPS 'LEADERS OF TOMORROW'

by Connie Barrera

Meeting enthusiastic and innovative students is the goal of Student Foundation members.

The group started three years ago and is sponsored by the Office of Development.

"To be in Student Foundation is a real honor," said Shana Ferguson, a senior English major and member of the development committee.

People invited to join the organization include student leaders involved in student government, presidents of honor societies and resident advisors, she said.

Ferguson said students must be either a junior or senior with a minimum GPA of 2.5, fill out a written application and attend an interview for the final selection.

Don Easterling, senior economic major and chairman of the development committee, said, "We do look for people who want to make a serious commitment to the university."

Student Foundation members benefit from "the satisfaction they get (knowing) what they're doing is important," said Easterling.

Members are invited to represent the student body by attending UH functions at the home of President James Pickering, sitting at the president's box at UH football games and attending various galas and receptions, said Easterling.

"Attending the functions is an excellent way to make contacts. Students get to know people who can help them later on down the line in finding a job or giving them advice as to what kind of paths to take," Easterling said.

Keeping membership to a maximum of 30 people is very important for members to have as many opportunities as possible when called upon to attend a UH function and to keep a name with a face, Easterling said.

"When you get into big numbers you really reduce those opportunities," said Easterling.

Ed Noack, president of Student Foundation, said the organization is a good way to help create a better reputation for the university.

Improving the reputation of an institution improves the value of an education and degree from that university, he said.

Being a member of Student Foundation enables students to keep in touch and "work to help each other out in the future with leaders of tomorrow," said Easterling.

"The majority of students in Student Foundation are people who are going to go far. Being a member is mutually beneficial," he said.

BLIZZARD, BOMB DOWN CASH MACHINE NETWORK

by Ambir Davis

The East Coast blizzard and the World Trade Center bombing may affect UH students seeking quick cash for Spring Break.

Enterprise Bank, located in the UC, is having problems with its automatic teller machines because of extensive damage to the main system in New Jersey.

"The blizzard caved in the roof where the equipment was, and the back-up system was blown up when the World Trade Center was bombed," said Elizabeth Carter, the new accounts representative.

Carter said the Mpact machines on campus, as well as those across the country, are out of order.

Because of this inconvenience, Enterprise Bank is providing its customers with free temporary checks for those who aren't carrying their checkbooks with them, so they can make withdrawals inside the bank.

"Basically, we're here to provide a convenient service for students," she said.

De Valenta, a bank teller, said according to a business update from the ATM headquarters in Clifton, N.J., the Mpact machines will be operational by Tuesday, March 23.

Enterprise Bank has plans to install three more automatic teller machines on campus. The Satellite, UH Hilton and UC Enterprise Bank lobby are the proposed sites.

The bank requires a 25-cent charge on withdrawals at current ATM machines to help pay for the construction.

Enterprise Bank also offers students special checking accounts and student loans. To open an account, a student needs $50. There is no minimum balance required and no limit on the number of checks written per month. There is a $4 monthly maintenance fee, and faculty and staff who open a direct-deposit account can have all bank charges waived for one year.

A direct-deposit account is one in which the customer's payroll check is automatically deposited into the account.

Carter added that Enterprise Bank works very closely with the university's financial aid department and said it only takes seven business days to receive a dispersement check.

Enterprise Bank has two additional locations on the Gulf Freeway and Westheimer.

The bank has no affiliation with UH, Carter said. "We work well with the university because we want to see its growth and its students growth."

COOGS LOOK TO BURY MINERS

IN OPENING ROUND OF NIT

Anthony Goldwire was in a restaurant about 5:30 p.m. eating dinner when he saw Sunday's NCAA Tournament selection special on CBS.

When UNLV didn't appear on the tournament grid, Goldwire, the Cougars' 6-1 point guard, knew Houston's chances of getting a bid were on the slim side. His heart sank after the Cougars' post-season hopes came crashing to a halt with the decision of the nine-member NCAA selection committee.

"I looked at the TV, and all it talked about was the different fields, the brackets and who's favored to win," Goldwire said. "It got to me.

"I was disappointed ever since I was on my way back from Reunion Arena (in Dallas). I've been thinking about it all day in class, what (playing in the NCAAs) would be like because that would have been my first time going."

Goldwire will still have another season at UH to realize that dream, but for now, the NIT will have to do.

Houston plays Texas-El Paso at 8:45 p.m. today at UTEP's Special Events Center in first-round action.

The 20-12 Miners, members of the Western Athletic Conference, have a record that is more impressive than it indicates. UTEP beat Utah twice and New Mexico State and lost close games to Brigham Young, UCLA, New Mexico and Purdue -- all of which are in the NCAA Tournament.

Last year, the Miners advanced to the Sweet 16 with victories over Evansville and then-top seed Kansas before falling to eventual Final Four member Cincinnati, 69-67.

UTEP's trademark slow-down offense forced opponents into a different style of game than what they were used to, and the low scores worked in the Miners' favor.

Senior point guard Eddie Rivera leads the Miners, scoring 16.4 points and dishing out 5.2 assists per game. He is also dangerous from outside the arc where he shoots 40 percent (42-of-105), and he completes 78 percent of his free-throw attempts.

And like Goldwire, who transferred from Pensacola (Fla.) Junior College, the 5-foot-8 Rivera is also a heralded JC transfer from Central Florida Community College.

In comparison, Goldwire averages 14.3 points and 5.7 assists, shoots 27.8 percent from three-point range and nets 78.5 percent from the foul line.

The match up between the two teams should be fairly even as neither team goes deep down the bench, and there are no towering players on either side.

Texas-El Paso is a 2 1/2-point favorite over Houston as of Thursday.

FEMALE DEAN BREAKS TRADITION

by David Sikes

For 58 years, UH's exclusive dean's club has consisted of more than 50 men and no women. Not until 1985 did this invisible barrier come down, when Karen Haynes was allowed in.

Haynes, dean of the Graduate School of Social Work, is the first and only female dean at UH.

"When I first got here, they held out the chair for me and got up when I came in the room. They don't anymore. I told them that wasn't necessary," she said, laughing.

"I believe that eight years later, I'm as much one of the boys and accepted in the group," she added.

Haynes attributes her hiring mainly to the men on the search committee. UH President James Pickering and former President George Magner were dean and provost, respectively, when they served on that committee, and Haynes said they are atypical male administrators.

She said they were open to women and to someone who didn't have all of the traditional academic qualifications.

"I'm delighted to say that I appointed her," Magner said. He now works for Haynes as a professor in the school.

"She's strong and assertive, with great interpersonal communication skills," Magner added. "I've been involved with the appointments of about 10 deans, and she is, well, the best one."

Magner attributes the lack of women in the administration partially to the lack of women in senior positions at the university level.

"I don't want to blame the victims, but institutes of higher learning have not always been comfortable climates for women," Haynes explained.

She described herself and her management style as open, creative, collaborative and optimistic.

She said women are better administrators than men, but some women may find faculty positions more comfortable and less confrontational.

"I believe that women cannot only be more productive, but also make institutions more humane places to work," Haynes said.

She said women her age have probably had to balance more roles simultaneously than many men have, making them more sensitive and giving them a better sense of efficiency, she added.

Haynes is married and has three teenage children. She said the pressures are greater now that she's a dean.

In addition to balancing her job and family, she teaches one class a year and has written four books in eight years.

"I still teach because I like it, and I write because I like it. I do both because I want to be credible in those roles," Haynes said, adding that social work is her first love, and as dean, she has been able to keep the profession of social work and its goals more visible.

"I think she embodies all the qualities that the field of social work stands for," said Vanessa Peveto, a social work graduate assistant.

"Social work is a woman's profession ... so if there's going to be a woman in the dean's position -- I hate to say it, but the traditional schools of social work, nursing and education might be where you'd find a bigger pool of women," Haynes said.

I'm not a very intimidating person, and I try not to let my title or position intimidate people, she added. "I've been told I'm a very approachable dean -- that's part of my personality."

Haynes suggested that women who would like to advance should have a good sense of humor. She said she doesn't think they have to adopt a masculine model to be effective and successful.

According to Haynes, UH will have more female deans soon; however, she doesn't think there has been enough active recruitment of women as with minorities.

She said acting Dean of the College of Education Judith Walkerdefelix is a good example of the qualified women up for administrative positions.

"This institution created the Minority Recruitment Incentive monies for colleges to use specifically to bring in minority faculty, not women," she said, with a serious tone. "I don't know that there's been the same incentives and resources for women."

Magner said, "I think there has been gender discrimination within universities. It's been a long, slow process for women to get established at this level."

"That I would be the first woman dean was partly a challenge and partly a concern," Haynes explained. "I knew I would be somewhat isolated. There would be norms and interactional patterns to try to change."

"To my knowledge, I was also the youngest dean of social work in the nation at 39," she added.

"Often, the first woman in a field feels like a superwoman that has to do it all and do it better," she added.

Haynes talks about the subtle messages sent by the deans' council, that things were going to be different because of her.

"I still find it hard sometimes to bring what I believe is a better style of management to an institution that is hierarchical and predominantly male," she said.

Her style, she said, that is sometimes labeled feminist, is not always seen as powerful and effective. This was a problem that still continues today, she added.

"I'm a collaborator. I think I have more vision than past deans," Haynes said. "Hopefully, I have been able to show both visionary leadership and a different management style to faculty who, when I arrived, were not necessarily team players. There wasn't a team to play on or a collective vision or mission," she explained.

Haynes said the faculty has changed dramatically over the past eight years, and Magner agreed.

"By in large, the faculty has been enthusiastic and receptive to her and her methods," he said.

"The majority of the faculty here individually and collectively, as of a year ago, say they don't want me to leave," Haynes said.

Haynes is not only popular with her colleagues, but with her employees, too.

"You know when she's in because she laughs a lot. She's very dynamic. I don't know where she gets her energy," said Haynes' secretary, Pauline Catchpole-Tait.

"I feel like I have now proven a lot at UH, and I have allowed myself to let go of some of the pressure," Haynes said, regarding her job, presently.

She said she would like it remembered that the school moved in innovative and creative ways during her tenure and that through it all, she never stopped caring about the mission of social work.

"This is still an incredibly exciting place to be ... when this job gets to the point where there's really just a caretaker role for me, then I'll do something else," she said.

POLI-SCI DEPT. RATED UNFAIRLY, SAYS UH PROF

by Christine Law

The UH political science program has been nationally recognized in the past, but two professors in the program say the university will have to make some changes to sustain this recognition.

In a recent issue of U.S. News and World Report, the program was ranked 30th among all Ph.D. political science programs in the nation and third among all southern universities.

The subjective ratings were submitted by various faculty from universities and colleges across the country.

Kent Tedin, chairman of the political science department, said, "If the program had been rated on objective data, its ranking would have been much higher."

Tedin said he would prefer the rating be objectively based. Objective data, he said, would include the number of articles written by UH political science professors that have appeared in major journals and the frequency their work is cited in the Social Science Citation Index.

In addition to journal articles, 36 books have been written by the faculty since 1988.

Along with Tedin, Professors Robert Erikson, Donald Lutz, James Gibson, Richard Murray and Joseph Nogee have authored widely cited books.

Tedin and Lutz have edited a collection of essays titled <I>Perspectives on American and Texas Politics<P>, which has been used in many of UH's undergraduate political science courses. All of the essays were written by department faculty.

Erikson and Tedin co-authored <I>American Public Opinion<P>, the biggest seller among books on the subject.

"The program can maintain its ranking only by holding its quality faculty and by continuing to draw good quality graduate students into the program," said Erikson.

Tedin said UH must allocate more money to fund the department.

The department recently lost two distinguished professors to other universities because it couldn't pay more for salaries, Tedin said. He added that salaries have been increasingly falling below national norms.

If the university is unwilling to make the required commitment, the quality of the department will soon fall, said Tedin.

IF YOU HAVE TO STAY -- PLAY

by Tammy Gamble

When spring break arrives, those students not heading to the beach or the slopes can find plenty of things to do on campus.

UH offers both indoor and outdoor activities, and they don't require a reservation or a lift ticket.

Springtime is often associated with heading to the water, and the university accommodates people wanting a cool break with two swimming pools available to students, faculty and staff. Swimmers can choose the Melcher Gym pool or the outdoor pool located by the Moody Towers residence hall.

"The (Melcher) pool is our most-used facility. It is busy much of the time it is open," said Mark Kuhlmann, assistant director of intramurals and recreation.

The indoor Melcher pool is open to swimmers with a UH identification card from noon to 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The pool is closed on Mondays.

The outdoor pool charges faculty, staff and students $1.50 a day or $25 for a season pass. The fee for dorm residents is part of their room and board payments at the beginning of the semester, Sheffield said.

"The (residence halls) pool is available for group parties with the fee depending on the number of people attending," he said.

Students interested in basketball, volleyball and badminton can play in Garrison or Melcher Gymnasium. Garrison Gym is open from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Racquetball courts are also available at the gyms from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Some students may want a quick game of tennis on the courts located behind the two gyms. Two of the courts are reserved on Saturday for team practices and games but are open free from 5:30 p.m. until dark Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

A sand volleyball court, a basketball court and tennis courts are also available by the residence halls.

Students not interested in sports can fill their spare time watching television or playing pool in the game rooms at the University Center or the Satellite.

DRUGS DOWN, BUT DRINKING UP WITH COLLEGIANS

CPS -- College students are using fewer illicit drugs, but drinking -- especially binge drinking -- is holding steady, according to an annual survey of student drug use.

The University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research survey, which was conducted in 1991, also includes the drug habits of high school students and young adults, in separate reports. The sample for the college student findings was 1,410 respondents who were full-time students attending four- or two-year institutions.

In use of drugs, 29.2 percent of the respondents reported using any illicit drug, including marijuana, in 1991, down from 33.3 percent in 1990. With marijuana factored out, 13.2 percent of the students used illegal drugs in 1991, compared with 15.2 percent in 1990.

"In 1991, we saw a continuation of the longer-term gradual decline in the proportion of all three populations involved in the use of any illicit drug," the report said. Researchers found that media reports about the danger of drugs, especially cocaine and crack cocaine, were instrumental in bringing some of the statistics down in drug-use categories.

"We believe that the particularly intense media coverage of the hazards of crack cocaine ... likely had the effect of 'capping' that epidemic early by deterring many would-be users and by motivating many experimenters to desist use," the report states. "...the hazards of cocaine use received extensive media coverage in the preceding year, but almost surely in part because of the cocaine-related deaths in 1986 of sports stars (University of Maryland basketball forward) Len Bias and (Cleveland Browns defensive back) Don Rogers."

Among the major findings include:

• Twenty-nine percent of the college students had used an illicit drug, down from 56.2 percent in 1980.

• Marijuana use dropped from 51.2 percent in 1980 to 26.5 percent in 1991. "In sum, the proportion of American college students who are actively smoking marijuana on a daily basis has dropped more than three-fourths since 1980," the report said.

• Between 1981 and 1991, heavy drinking (five or more drinks in a row) dropped only 0.8 percent for college students, much less of a decline than rates recorded for high school students and 19- to 20-year-olds who are not in college. For the same 10-year period, the measure for heavy drinking dropped by 11.6 percent for high school seniors and 8.8 percent for the non-college 19- to 20-year-olds.

"It is interesting to conjecture about why college students have not shown much decline in heavy drinking while their non-college peers and high school seniors have," the report said. "One possibility is that campuses have provided some insulation to the effects of changes in the drinking age laws."

• Daily drinking for college students has shown some decline since 1984. In 1991, 4.1 percent of the respondents drank daily, down from 6.6 percent in 1984.

• Cigarette smoking has declined somewhat. The daily smoking rate fell from 18.3 percent in 1980 to 13.8 percent in 1991.

BLOODLINE DRAWS ON FAMILY TIES

by Jeff Balke

It's tough enough being young, but add the pressure of being the son of a famous person and a newly signed recording artist and it must be unbearable.

But Erin Davis, son of the late jazz trumpeter, Miles Davis, doesn't think so. In fact, Davis, 21, along with 19-year-old Waylon Krieger, son of the Doors' guitarist Robbie Krieger; 19-year-old Barry Oakley Jr., son of the well-known bassist for the Allman Brothers; and 15-year-old guitar sensation, "Smokin'" Joe Bonamassa, are feeling no pressure at all in their newly formed, appropriately named band, Bloodline.

"None of us feel we have anything to live up to," Davis said.

"We've learned that it takes more than just names to make it in this business."

Having a big name doesn't hurt, however, and Bloodline is a veritable son of Who's Who in the music business.

Bloodline is an energetic mixture of Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Allman Brothers. Judging by the adept playing on their soon-to-be-released EP on SBK Records, they didn't need the names or the benefit of age.

"We all eat and sleep music. I can't go more than an hour without playing something," Davis said.

It certainly shows, and their management is pulling out all the stops, hoping for big success from the young quintet. With veteran keyboardist Lou Segreti acting as musical director and heavyweight producer, Phil Ramone (Billy Joel, Paul Simon) working on the EP, Bloodline has the best of both worlds: energy and experience.

"Most bands are at least five years older than us, but I don't think we could wait five years," Davis said.

Davis, in fact, has been involved in music for quite some time. Working on the road with his dad during summer vacations beginning at age 14, Davis learned about music and drums from some of the finest musicians in the world. He even played electronic percussion on one tour, but jazz is not his bag.

"I never had an urge to play jazz," he said. "I've always been into rock and heavy metal."

The Malibu, Calif. resident is quick to point out, however, that his dad was doing more than just jazz.

"When I was around my dad, he wasn't playing bebop. The stuff he was doing was way more electric, like funk," he said.

Bloodline's funky sound seems a perfect match for Davis' surprisingly advanced playing. Most surprising of all, however, is the maturity of Oakley's voice and Bonamassa's amazing, bluesy guitar playing.

Youth is on the side of these fine musicians, and they have no place to go but up.

Bloodline will be appearing tonight at Backstage.

SWELL GELS; SINGS WELL

by Manuel Esparza

Driving down U.S. 82 to Lubbock in August is a journey into a vacuum cleaner bag. The grit pervades every pore and portal, gumming them up. Every so often it swirls up into a dust devil careening along like a drunken cyclist. The road takes on a dreamy look as the heat warps the sunlight, creating an oasis that can never quite be reached.

Swell's <I>Well<P> travels down those back highways. They navigate the musical motorway in a meandering "let's not miss any of the sights" manner. Your guide is a sexagenarian lounge singer, Richard McGhee, whose demo tape was "borrowed."

Their music has an uncluttered arrangement. Gritty guitars roam without colliding into each other. Usually guitarist/singer, David Freel, will go into acoustic strumming while John Dettman wrings stinging riffs from his. Their differing techniques open up the sound, making Swell's music as wide as west Texas. Hitched to an easy tempo, the songs emit emotions like heat from a fire.

Though the music is serious, the album is fun. Just when the album seems to get too heavy, Swell inserts samples from McGhee's ridiculous demo, such as the section of him belching a monologue. McGhee's ramblings are all the more humorous when it becomes obvious he means it. Swell taped street sounds from San Francisco's seedy Tenderloin District where they live. Included is a band practice recorded at their apartment one rainy day by the microphone they keep outside the window.

Freel's vocals seamlessly complete the sound. Sandy and soft, his singing is the bridge that links the instruments. He wields it with understated power.

Swell has put together all original material (minus McGhee's bumbles) in a solid disc. Tracks like "It's Okay" and "Wash Your Brain" are songs that span genres. They are classic in sound, progressive in attitude and well-written works. There is an economy of music -- just enough is used to create the sound without it being sparse. The simplicity in style gives the band room to create detailed songs.

The result is a number of songs like "At Long Last." This has the electricity of the gun fight at noon with all the townsfolk watching. Short, choppy semi-subliminal cryptic lyrics temper the rage on guitar.