DETERMINED

by Heather Morgan

Guadalupe Quintanilla, assistant vice president of Academic Affairs at UH, was nine years old when her IQ test results classified her as mentally retarded.

She dropped out of elementary school, married at 15 and had three children. She was determined to be the perfect housewife and mother.

Her children's report cards showed they were having trouble at school. She went to the elementary school in Brownsville and discovered her children were labeled "yellow birds" -- a nice way of saying they were dumb and would not go far academically. She also found that all the "yellow birds" had brown skin.

She concluded that her children were labled incorrectly, not because they were dumb, but because they did not know or speak English, she said. Quintanilla was determined to learn English to help her children in school. She went to Texas Southmost College, but was not allowed to enroll because she lacked a high school diploma.

But Quintanilla said she found out where the registrar parked and waited for him by his car. He accepted her on an individual approval basis, but he warned her that if she failed, she was on her own.

Quintanilla made the dean's list the first semester. "The sad part is not that the system told me I was retarded," she said. "The sad part is that I believed it."

She then enrolled for the following semester because she said she had the confidence to continue her education, despite what her school records said. She learned how to drive after the first semester so she could commute to Pan American University, where she earned her bachelor's degree in biology and graduated cum laude, she said.

Quintanilla moved her family to Houston to continue her education at UH, she said. She earned a master's degree in Spanish and received her Ph.D. She earned all three degrees within seven years while raising a family and working full-time, she said.

"It was a very painful, very scary, very long processs, but it was defintely, definitely worth it," she said. "My motivation was my children," she added.

Her determination paid off. All three children went on to college and graduated with Ph.D.s. One son, is a doctor in Houston, her other son is an attorney in Houston and her daughter is an attorney in Dallas.

Quintanilla has worked with UH for 23 years, she said. Not only is she the assistant vice president of Academic Affairs, but she is an associate professor for the Hispanic and Classical Languages Department.

She founded the Mexican-American Studies and the Bilingual Education Program on campus, and she has directed both.

Quintanilla developed Spanish for the Bilingual Speaker, a course aimed for students who can speak Spanish but do not know all the grammar rules and vocabulary, Quintanilla said.

She has created 17 classes, including Mexican-American literature courses, such as the Influence of Spanish Folklore in the U.S. and Contributions of Hispanic Women to Literature.

Quintanilla became the first Latin administrator at UH. She has been influential in the recruitment of many Mexican-American faculty members currently at UH.

Outside the UH arena, she developed a cross-cultural communication program for the Houston Police Department 15 years ago.

According to the U.S. departments of Defense and Justice, her program, which sparked others throughout the country, is the best. The U.S. Department of Justice considers her the foremost respected and recognized Hispanic trainer in the country.

All the police officers and community members in the program volunteer, she said. The officers learn how to speak Spanish and learn the cultural differences, so they wil treat Mexican-Americans in a different manner. The classes are held at Ripley House, which is a community center in a Mexican neighborhood. The classes help the officers and also the students who work with them.

A lot of the students are at-risk dropout students, she said. The kids build confidence and feel useful teaching Spanish; furthermore, the relations between Latins and police improve, she added.

"It makes me very proud because I know it's helping our community," she said. Quintanilla has set up similar programs in New York, California, New Mexico, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Massachusetts and other states, she said.

Since Quintanilla has distinguished herself at UH and in Houston, she has received numerous job offers, she said. She served as co-chair for the National Institute of Justice from 1986 to 1990. Since 1986, she has served as a U.S. Representative to the United Nations. She is co-chair for the Commission on Excellence in Education. She has developed classes for the FBI, CIA, DEA and Secret Service. She has traveled all over the world and met many world leaders.

"I started in the cross-cultural communications 22 years ago. Right now all the companies have discovered diversity. Everybody wants to do diversity training. Everybody wants to talk about minorities. But because I have been in it 20 years, I know more than the rest of the people. I have a lot of experience. I have hundreds of materials, and I have an infinite number of teaching hours and experiences," she said.

Her son, Mario, said he is most proud of her ability to maintain her very loving attitude, even though she has achieved so much. He said she is important because she is a role model for the Mexican community.

Of all her recognitions and awards, her children are still her biggest accomplishment, she said.

Quintanilla did not mention any plans on leaving UH soon.

"I really care a lot about all students and that's the reason that I'm still at the University of Houston," she said.

*******************************************************

RACISM AT UH

by Heather Morgan

Although racism has become one of the most talked about topics in America during the Rodney King trial, some UH students say it has little or no effect on their day to day lives.

These students don't believe racism is as big a problem here as at other schools, despite the recent campus appearance of rapper Sister Souljah, who spoke of a black war against whites.

Many students, including Victor Ramirez, a junior political science and psychology double major, feel racism is not as much of a problem at UH as it is at other universities.

Ramirez, who once attended Sam Houston State University, said the feeling of racism was more abundant there than at UH.

He recalls a time when pamphlets of extremely derogatory remarks directed toward all non-white races were circulated throughout the Sam Houston campus. The people responsible for the incident were not discovered, he added.

Candy Leonard, a senior psychology major, attended the University of Texas for three years before transferring to UH. She said UT has more racism. "Texas (UT) is very political," she said. "Everyone is more laid-back here."

At UT, a lot of racism and discrimination exists in the sororities and fraternities, she added. "There were your white sororities and your black sororities. The blacks don't apply (to the white organizations), and even if they did, they probably wouldn't be picked."

Sororities and fraternities are not as important or divisive as they are at UT, she said. "You get more of a melting pot here."

Jan Lin, a sociology professor at UH who teaches a course about American minorities, said he is not aware of racism as a big problem on the UH campus. "I personally haven't seen it, and I haven't had students bring up the matter," he said. Since the number of minority students has increased on campus, he said, "Racism probably must be decreasing."

According to Lin, what he does find to be a problem is segregation, especially between African-Americans and whites. It exists because of self-segregation or through social organizations such as fraternities, sororities and clubs, he said.

David Stone, a senior music major, said racism is prevalent at UH but is not noticeable.

While he has been a UH student, he says he has been aware of racist remarks or acts in the past but cannot pinpoint the instances. However, the racism which does occur is either between mostly Middle Eastern students and whites or between African-Americans and whites, he said.

Instead of witnessing racism, Stone said he now notices increasing separation between races. When he first came to UH, the eating places on campus were more mixed, he added.

Leonard agrees that self-separation exists among students, especially between African-Americans and whites. She said these two groups stick with their own kind.

Ramirez also feels that the most prevalent racism exists between African-Americans and whites. "There's a lot of anger and rage in the black community," he said. However, he added that those feelings are understandable.

Palmer has not personally witnessed racism at UH, but he said the racism that does occur is not only between African-Americans and whites anymore. He thinks the problem has grown between Mexican-Americans and African-Americans.

"It's a hard issue when it's so widespread," Leonard said.

AD FINALISTS ANNOUNCED; TWO FORMER COUGARS ON LIST

The University of Houston took one step closer to filling its vacant athletic director post Monday when the search committee announced the four finalists who will compete for the position.

Two of the finalists are former Cougars and the other two have experience with the Big Eight and Southeast Conferences. They are:

• Robert P. "Bob" Brezina - played UH football as a fullback from 1960-62 and led the team in scoring his final year. He was drafted into the NFL in 1963 by the Green Bay Packers in the 20th round and later went to the Houston Oilers. He is now superintendent of the Victoria Independent School District.

• G. Edwin Brooks - a Cougar alum and attorney with Brill, Cinex & Stephenson in Houston.

• William C. Carr, III - was the AD at Florida from 1982-86. He is an associate AD at North Carolina State and is president of Sports Resources Group, Inc., an executive search firm, in Charlotte, N.C.

• Max Urick - has been the athletic director at Iowa State since 1982. The Cyclones were one of six Big Eight teams to attend this year's NCAA basketball tournament. An Iowa State media relations spokesman said the university will not be renewing Urick's contract, which will expire in June. He added that a search had already begun for a new AD.

Vice President for Administration and Finance Dennis Boyd said he was pleased with the committee's final four selection.

"They're all good folks, and any one of them would make a great AD," Boyd said.

The finalists will arrive on campus this week for formal interviews, and UH's new AD is expected to be announced soon afterward.

ALBEE TAKES STAGE TONIGHT AS FEATURED 'INVENTIVE' SPEAKER

by Christine Law

Edward Albee, world-renowned playwright, two-time recipient of the Pulitzer Prize and distinguished professor of theater at UH, will be the featured speaker tonight in the UH Inventive Minds Speaker Series.

At tonight's event, "The Playwright vs. the Theatre," Albee will discuss the present and future state of the American theater. Mel Gussow, a leading national theater critic for <I>The New York Times<P> will moderate the discussion that will feature a dialogue between the audience and Albee.

Albee has voiced his opinion on the current state of American theater in speeches and discussions across the country. According to Albee, Broadway has been avoiding plays it judges "too critical, too dangerous and too experimental."

These "experimental" plays are being produced off-Broadway, off-off-Broadway and in regional theaters, said Albee. He said he believes these are America's best plays, produced in theaters that are willing to take chances.

In a 1991 <I> New York Times<P> article, Albee said, "I find what is encouraged, more and more (in American theater), is a literary middle-browism."

"The minds that run Broadway are concerned with the moneyed, middle-aged people who can afford the theater," said Albee. "Plays we get on Broadway ... are touted as great works of art. It's appalling."

In addition, Albee said image-breaking and unconventionalism in theater has been discouraged. He is trying to change the situation.

"I would hope that every play I write shakes a few people up and asks questions that people would rather not think about," said Albee.

The playwright has written 27 plays over 33 years, including "A Delicate Balance," "Seascape," "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "Zoo Story."

Recently, Albee directed Samuel Beckett's "Happy Days" at UH.

The production signalled the beginning of the UH School of Theater's move toward the establishment of a professional theater and conservatory program, said Steve Geissen of UH's Office of Media Relations.

Albee has written and directed two plays recently that premiered in Houston -- "The Marriage Play" and "The Lorca Play."

The latter was commissioned by UH and co-produced by UH's School of Theatre and the Houston International Festival last year.

"The Playwright vs. the Theatre" is the first Inventive Minds Speakers Series event of this semester. Geissen said that it will be the first time the series will feature two speakers in a non-traditional format.

The series, which started in 1990, has featured many distinguished speakers, such as Nobel laureate Linus Pauling and Dennis Barrie, director of the Contemporary Arts Center in Cincinnati, who spoke on obscenity and the freedom of expression regarding the museum's Mapplethorpe exhibit.

"We want to bring in as many distinguished speakers from various fields as we can. The series enables the speakers to talk about the creative process, the behind-the-scenes aspect of their work," said Geissen.

According to Geissen, people usually see the final product of these minds, but they do not know how the ideas were born or how they developed. The purpose of the events in the series is to give people a glimpse into this evolution.

Students can question the speakers and see some of the most creative individuals in the country, Geissen said.

"The Playwright vs. the Theatre" takes place today at 7 p.m. in the grand ballroom of UH's University Hilton. Admission is free and all are welcome. (For good seats, arrive early.)

For more information, call 743-8150.

UH TO NEGOTIATE BEFORE EVICTING ALL DEBTORS

by Heather Wolk

Some students who received eviction notices for delinquent debt are getting a second chance to make their payments, said Tom Penett, director of Residential Life and Housing.

"We are pausing, giving students a breather to take care of some things," said Penett.

"We're giving them two weeks, that would give them until this Friday," Penett said.

Despite Penett's intent to be non-negotiable, Vice President of Academic Affairs Elwyn Lee said he sent a memo to Penett asking for an extension of the deadline for debt payment.

Jackie Mitchell, assistant director of housing, said 14 students pending eviction met with housing and discussed the extension.

"We met with them and worked out a plan, and they were given until April 2," said Mitchell.

Students with delinquent debts were first sent notices on Feb. 26, requesting payment of delinquent fees on or before March 5.

If payment was not received, eviction notices were sent on March 9, demanding payment on or before March 15.

Lee said out of 130 people who received eviction notices, approximately 64 paid in full, several left the university without making any payments or arrangements and about 15 to 20 were left still carrying debts.

It is to these students that the extension is directed, said Mitchell.

On March 18, housing met with the remaining 14 students and discussed the extension, which would give students until April 2.

Lee said if payment is not received by April 2, action will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

"It's one thing to keep them out of classes, but it's another thing to put them on the streets," Lee said.

"I wanted to give students time for adjustments," said Lee.

"We have a special arrangement because we don't have to give the normal 30 days notice prior to eviction," Lee said.

University housing is considered only a "license to occupy," and is "not a lease," according to the UH Residence Halls Housing and Food Services Agreement.

"We may need to extend it further," said Lee. "We're going to be tough on those who owe, but we want to be human."

Although Residential Life and Housing said if payment wasn't received by Friday students would be evicted, Lee said students will be dealt with individually.

"If students have concerns, they should come talk to us," said Lee.

"It's not that we shouldn't change our policies, but we don't want to add to the homeless problem," Lee said.

SA SESSION ENDS WITH DISPUTES

Last minute law breaking and an attempted impeachment capped off the final meeting of the 29th Student Association Senate meeting Monday night.

Senator Cipriano Romero made his last move of the session by starting procedures to impeach election commissioner Ron Capehart.

The procedures were called for illegally and according to chairman of the Internal Affairs Committee Coy Wheeler, could be considered slanderous. Title 7 of the SA code says impeachment must be discussed in an executive session which shuts out all senators, public and press. Capehart was not present at the meeting.

Romero introduced bill #29024 at the March 15 SA meeting which would make the 1993 SA presidential election null and void. The bill was introduced on the grounds that election commissioner Ron Capehart broke code rules by not turning in election commission minutes on time. The deadline was seven days after the election results were turned in. The minutes most importantly include candidate expenditures and any other problems or complaints the commission faced.

Romero believes that when this information is withheld, people can't know if a candidate honestly won and that misused monies could go unnoticed.

"I am doing what I have been doing since I began on this senate; making sure that we follow rules. I want people to be held accountable for their actions. If we don't follow rules we have no legitimacy," said Romero

According to the election code, the minutes were to be turned into the SA President, Speaker of the Senate and Chairman of the Hearing Committee. Romero claims that SA President Russell Hruska was the only one who received them.

"We need to act on this. Don't make me call my bluff," said Romero.

Hruska claims that no rules were broken. The minutes were submitted to the SA office on time and letters of certification were received by the speaker of the senate and chairman of the hearing board.

"It was a judgement call. The election code says that they must be presented but it does not say in what manner. Capehart was instructed by David Daniels (director of Campus Activities) to write letters of certification rather than make three copies of the minutes, which were hundreds of pages long. "The minutes were in the SA office and available to be seen," said Hruska.

A unified groan was heard over the senate floor when they were not in favor of Romeros opinion and his "bluff was called." Romero called for impeachment measures to begin.

Another bill discussed would save $28,872 in SA funds. It was tabled at the meeting which means the bill is effectively dead because the SA administration changes in April. The legislation would have eliminated a full-time secretary from the SA office and replace the position with work-study students. Paying a student would take up less money and provide more jobs for work study. Saving money with lower budgets was one of the promises made by both Romero and Fuller.

"We used to have students in this position and it did not work. Many times people would hire their friends for the position, then get in a fight and the person would stop working," said Student Regent elect Jeff Fuller.

The bill, which can be re-introduced in the next senate, has many supporting senators now. "It just needs more research," said Fuller.

Tomorrow, a report on the status of this year's SA bills.

STUDENTS FIGHT FOR PARKING SPACE

by Rhonda Compton

Parking complaints involving Cambridge Oaks Apartments may have come to a settlement during Spring Break.

Student have complained about congested parking, cars being towed and problems with complex parking stickers.

Aamir Mansoor, a student, said, "The manager cannot give a tenant two permits. If a car does not have a parking sticker permit it is towed. One night a guy's girlfriend's car was towed even though they came out to the car."

Owais Ali, a student who lives in Cambridge Oaks, said "They change the stickers all the time. They will not give you a sticker unless you show them the title to your car. The title to my car is at my house. It was exam time and I did not have time to go home and get the title, study for exams and work. The manager would not give me a temporary sticker, so my car was towed at 2 a.m.

"Visitor parking is usually full. People with two cars were parking there so they would not get towed. Some people whose cars were towed were crying because they did not have the money to get their car out," Ali said.

Muhammad Junaid, another student, agrees there is a problem. "I have seen people argue with the manager," he said. "He tells people to park in student parking, but if they do not have a UH decal they cannot park there. I do not think it is right for girls to have to park in student parking when they are going to the apartments -- especially at night."

Cars towed out of Cambridge Oaks are taken to McAllen Auto Storage by Bob Dills Towing. The charge to get a car out is $92.06, plus an additional $15 every 24 hours the car is in storage.

According to Tom Penett, director of Residential Life and Housing, the apartments, which opened in the fall of 1990, are a private development of UH. A development company, Century Park 1 Limited, owns the building on UH land.

Junaid said every time a student went to manager John Iuanuzzo with a problem, the students got in an argument with him. He said Iuanuzzo told each student he would refer their case to the dean of students. Some people got scared and gave up, said Junaid.

But Dean of Students William Munson said he would not have done anything about the students who disagreed with Iuanuzzo. "We are not interested in referrals that are not in violation of policy," Munson said. "Personal conflicts or a difference in opinion would involve the UH omsbud service. They would find grounds to mediate, intervene or give guidance on the subject."

He said Kathy Andivino handles violations of disciplinary policy, and those violations are covered on pages 53-57 of the student handbook.

Iannuzzo said, "Students came in here screaming and calling me the 'F' word and using discriminatory names. If they treated a professor or UH official like that, disciplinary action would take place. I am representative of the university, I have rights to be respected.

"I do not treat students like that, they need to extend respect. They have no right to verbally assault me."

He said the problem had been resolved, however. "When students come back from Spring Break, and if visitors park where they should, everything should be OK. We have increased visitor parking to extend the length of the back fence. Visitors wanted to park in resident spaces and not walk. The policy of towing happened because people were so angry because they could not park in front of their apartment."

"Feb. 1, we sent out a warning that as of March 1, we would start towing cars that were illegally parked," said the manager.

DANBURG GETS SPECIAL RECOGNITION

by Rhonda Compton

State Representative and UH alumna Debra Danburg, D-Houston, has been named the 1993 Distinguished Social Sciences Alumna by the UH Social Sciences Alumni Organization.

According to Tami Lyons, co-chair of the college of Social Sciences Alumni Organization, Danburg will be the fourth recipient and the first woman to receive the annual award.

The recipient is chosen by a committee that looks at a field of alumni who have done service to the community and UH. Danburg has always stood behind the university, said Lyons.

The dinner held in her honor will raise funds for the Debra Danburg Alumna Scholarship Fund, said Lyons.

Danburg, who has been awarded numerous awards, said, "This award will be the most special recognition I have ever received. UH is the top school for what education should be".

Danburg received her undergraduate degree in Sociology in 1974 and her law degree from UH in 1979. She is an advisory board member to the College of Social Sciences and to the Health Law and Policy Institute.

"I have done fund raisers for the art and music departments and alumni events. I actively promote legislation and funding for UH. I see UH as critical to the economic advancement of the city," Danburg said.

Danburg is currently serving her seventh term in the Texas House of Representatives. She serves as committee chair for the Committee on Elections and State Affairs.

Danburg got her start in politics when she ran for UH student government. "We had a 20-plank platform. We got through all the platforms except one, and that was for the child care center on campus. I took that project on myself. I was refused funding for it by UH, so I went to the Board of Regents and asked to fix up child care on UH campus," Danburg said.

Danburg said she got her start in politics by becoming active in registering young voters. "I was an assistant for 'First Vote' and 'The Student Vote.' We went to Washington for training and then traveled around Texas registering 18-year-olds. Before that, I was active in civil rights and anti-war campaigns. I went to Austin to find out what I wanted to do. I got involved with Texans for ERA, then when Ron Waters left his office, I ran for it," she said.

"What made Danburg stand out among the others was so much service to the community and the university. She has always done something at UH and has been consistent," Lyons said.

Harrell Rodgers, dean of the College of Social Sciences, said, "We are expecting to raise between $45,000 to $50,000 in scholarships.

AN OUNCE OF PROTECTION BEATS 9-POUND SURPRISE

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

In 1988, of the 6.4 million pregnancies in the United States, 3.6 million were not by choice but by chance, according to an independent research organization.

The Alan Guttmacher Institute reported that of the 58 million women of reproductive age, aged 15 to 44, more than 39 million risk an unintended pregnancy, and one in nine uses no contraceptive method.

Researchers continue to seek new and better ways to prevent pregnancy, Dr. Alfred Poindexter said. "A condom for females is now being evaluated. Unfortunately, we don't have contraceptives for males that are being evaluated."

The Food and Drug Administration recognized the need for a long-acting contraceptive and approved Depo-Provera, which is an injectible form of birth control that can prevent pregnancy for three months, said Poindexter, an associate professor in the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Baylor College of Medicine.

Depo-Provera has been available for women in 60 countries since 1969. Dexter said it has been proven to be safe.

Depo-Provera, which provides 99 percent effectiveness, uses hormones to prevent ovulation, said Susan Wysocki, executive director of the National Association of the Nurse Practitioners in Reproductive Health. She said oral contraceptives and the contraceptive implant Norplant also use hormones.

According to the guidelines by the Upjohn Company, which has released Depo-Provera in the United States, this injectible form of contraceptive is appropriate for women who find oral contraceptives inconvenient, who have difficulty complying with daily contraceptive regimens, who find barrier methods inconvenient, who are breast-feeding or who need a reversible alternative to sterilization.

Depo-Provera prevents pregnancy for three months after a single shot. However, women may not get pregnant up to 10 months after the last injection, Wysocki said.

Women gained more than five pounds when they used Depo-Provera for one years, and women gained an average of 13 pounds when they used it for four years, the prospectus of Depo-Provera indicates.

No overall increased risk of developing cancer of the breast, ovary, uterus, cervix or liver was found related to the use of Depo-Provera, but women under 35, whose first exposure to Depo-Provera was within the previous four years, may have a slightly increased risk of developing breast cancer similar to that seen with oral contraceptives, according to the prospectus.

More than 60 percent of women who use Depo-Provera stop having periods, and most women experience irregular bleeding patterns, which are expected side effects, Wysocki said.

When deciding to choose a birth-control method, women should discuss the advantages and the disadvantages of the methods with their health care providers, Wysocki added.

Pills have been used by more than 30 percent of women and are the most popular contraceptive method in the United States, Guttmacher Institute's research indicates. Wysocki said Norplant, which provides contraception for five years after it is implanted, and Depo-Provera are down on the list because they have just been introduced to American women.

"Remember," Wysocki said, "pills, implants, Depo-Provera and sterilization will not protect against AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases."

Depo-Provera shots are offered at the UH Health Center and all Planned Parenthood clinics for $30.

The clinics work on a sliding fee scale, in which people are charged a percentage of the total cost according to their income, said Susan Nenney, director of communications at Planned Parenthood.

Costs for shots range from $40 to $55 in private gynecologists' offices.

According to the institute, 47 percent of unplanned pregnancies occur to women who use contraceptives incorrectly and inconsistently. If people need instructions about using the method they have chosen, they should get them, and people should get the professional help to make the best birth control decision, according to the American College Health Association.