COUNCIL CHANGES SAT SCORE POLICY; NEW METHOD WILL ADMIT MORE STUDENTS

by Heather Wolk

The Undergraduate Council passed a bill Wednesday which will lower admission requirements by using the cumulative, rather than individual, SAT score in admissions decisions, beginning in the fall '93 semester.
Currently, UH totals the highest verbal and math scores on any given date and makes admissions decisions based on the math and verbal scores together, from the same test.
For example, if students have verbal scores that don't meet the minimum score of 400, but they meet the required total SAT score of 800, they are denied admission.
Under the new bill, a student's best overall verbal score will be added to the best math score for the total SAT score.
So, if the total SAT score is at or above the required 800, the student will be admitted, regardless of the individual math or verbal score.
UH has one of the highest entrance requirements in the four-state area, but UH undergraduates have lower GPA's than other schools in the comparison, according to a committee report submitted by the admissions, advising and retention committee.
Students who are rejected by UH often go to other universities, where the total of their best scores are calculated for admission. This is the same policy UH is attempting to adopt.
Director of Admissions Rob Sheinkopf said that Yale, Princeton and Harvard are currently using the cumulative score.
"We would only be doing it in line with the best institutions," said Sheinkopf.
"Some students were denied admission because of the current system," said Sheinkopf. He added that the status of some of these students may be reviewed for possible admission.
Jerry Osborne, director of counseling and testing, suggested inviting rejected applicants back for review.
"We could send them letters informing them of the change in policy," said Osborne.
The vast majority of students take the SAT -- most take it two or three times, said Sheinkopf.
However, he said the change would effect admissions only in a small way.
"We want to benefit the student. Clearly, it would help the student," Sheinkopf said.
"If we aren't doing the very best that we should be doing, we should change it," said Rosalie Maddocks, chair of the Undergraduate Council.
"The most prestigious, finest institutions do it this way," Sheinkopf said. "It will make us competitive with more universities."
The council will send the bill to the provost for approval.

*******************************************************

IRONMEN

Only respect could allow one to call men who squat 600 pounds and bench press 325 pounds Mr. Clean, Bob Marley, Fireplug and Mr. Detachable.
And that, along with discipline, is precisely what former Pittsburgh Steeler and UH strength coach John Lott commands from the players during his rigid eight week, off-season training program. The nicknames are inside jokes.
However, the respect is reciprocated through Iron Man awards that recognize those who have the perseverance to stick with the program.
The rigorous program, designed to emphasize the team as a unit, keeps the players in top condition during the time between the football season and spring training, when players are most susceptible to getting out of shape.
With military-like organization, players weight train and improve their running skills.
"If one person is late they have to do belly flops (running and dropping to the ground after each length)," Lott said. "There were times when our sweats always stayed muddy because we were always out there belly-floppin'."
But Lott's rigid standards and the players' determination over the past year have helped them improve since the last off-season.
"You can't play fat," Lott said. "That's my main philosophy."
This year's Iron Man Award went to senior defensive end Allen Aldridge. Weighing in at 245 pounds with only seven percent body fat, Aldridge bench presses 405 pounds and squats 585 pounds.
"I'll use what I learned in the program to see if I have a chance to make it to the next level - the NFL," Aldridge said.
Sophomore superback Lawrence McPherson won the award for Offensive Lifter; sophomore safety Gerome Williams won Defensive Lifter and senior safety Michael Newhouse won an award for Best Attitude.
However, Lott recognized all of his players who finished the program with T-shirts and words of encouragement.
At the Iron Man award ceremony's end, the team came together to repeat the words that will bring them inspiration today and perhaps to the Cotton Bowl next year, "THINK COTTON!"

GOLD MEDALIST RIGHT ON TRACK, SATISFIED WITH UH CAREER, LIFE

When he ran through fields and hiked past many trees as a boy, Leroy Burrell probably thought of himself as indomitable.
He had good reason.
Most every child sees their name written in the stars and has not yet realized the severity of cruel winters, become fearful of the specter of death, or lost hope for a promising tomorrow.
He is an extremely confident, grounded person.
Yet, there have been times when vulnerabilities, injuries and the sting of defeat have cast palls over his life.
Burrell, a sprinter who won a gold medal for the 4 x 100 meter relay at the 1992 Summer Olympic in Barcelona, Spain, still trains with the words <I>citius, altius, fortius<P> in mind.
One of his most easily noticed qualities is his self assuredness. It is evident as he speaks with authority of his discipline.
He is not complacent.
"I rarely look back and say, 'Wow, that was a great accomplishment' because I find myself always in the process of trying to do more, trying to achieve other goals."
Although the day he retires may not come until after the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Burrell says he has "kind of made a good career up to this point in athletics and if I had to retire at this very minute, I would be somewhat satisfied. I got everything out of track and field that I wanted going into it."
Burrell grew up in a small town near Philadelphia. He lived in a lower middle class, racially mixed suburb. The experiences seem to have had a humbling effect on the athlete, who likes to wear a black baseball cap, blue jeans and casual shirts.
In person, he seems leaner and taller than his television images would indicate. His legs seem less stocky.
When he speaks, in a calm tone that belies his enormous physical strength, one eye seems forever focused straight ahead. The other eye wanders.
Sitting against the concrete of the warm-up area at Robertson Stadium, Burrell speaks with fervor about his future.
He envisions himself as a restaurateur at some point down the road. Burrell seems to have an affinity for social contact. After he graduates the senior RTV major said a career in broadcasting may be in the offing.
He appreciates those who have touched his life in some way.
"A lot of people have affected me. I'm a combination of a lot of people who I've come in contact with for a good amount of time," he says humbly.
"My parents kind of instilled in me a sense of duty and honesty. My high school coach gave me a never-say-die attitude and a very serious work ethic. Coach Tom Tellez has given me this sense of loyalty that I have."
When he faces a major disappointment, such as an unexpected fifth place finish in the 100 meter race at the Olympics, he says he calls on inner strength and faith to overcome the dark periods.
"Last year was a very difficult year because I wasn't really sure if I was going to make the Olympic team. Then, once I made the Olympic team, I had this injury problem so that made it very difficult for me -- knowing that I was going to the biggest meet of my life with doubt and with injuries. That kind of made me insecure about my abilities," he said.
Such disappointments do not come often in a stellar career like Burrell's. He reached the upper echelon of sprinting in 1990 and 1991 and held the number one position in the world in the 100 meters.
The strict vegetarian diet and rigorous training regimen is enough to test even the most disciplined, but for his level, Burrell sees them as fairly routine.
While he competed as a Cougar for the track and field team, he won two NCAA indoor titles in the long jump, the 100 meter race at the NCAA Championships, and defeated his friend Carl Lewis at the 1990 Goodwill Games. He once held the world record in the 100 meters.
After the sound of a discharged starting-gun bullet pierces the tense atmosphere of a stadium, Burrell's intense training, discipline, learning, strength, and control are squeezed into a space of less than 10 seconds.
After the competitions, Burrell flies back to Houston to attend classes, resume his training schedule, and take up such leisurely pursuits as reading, watching sports and movies, hanging out with friends. Or fishing.
As he sits against the concrete at the stadium, he has all the presence of a Masai warrior. He has even dreamt of going on a safari in Kenya.
In a child-like manner, he looks to the ground, then ahead, thinking of his favorite Scripture.
"Not by might, nor by glory, but by spirit saith the Lord," he says, quoting from the book of Ezekiel.
When he utters those words, Burrell seems to have the clear vision of a youth running through fields near Philadelphia.

HE'D RATHER BE A CLOWN
Story and photos

by Stephen Stelmak

The Professional Lunatic, Harley, got wrapped up in work with the help of seven students who attended his free SPB show at the UC Satellite Wednesday. Harley stayed under the wraps for approximately. five and a half minutes.
During the course of his hour and a half presentation, more than 750 people saw Harley walk on machetes, stick an awl up his nose, spit and eat fire, escape from a strait jacket (which many of those attending wondered if he got it from a place of previous residence) while riding a unicycle, chopped flying vegetables, destroyed a box of Corn Flakes with a chain saw, rode the unicycle blindfolded with a short person on his back, and for the grand finale, wrapped himself in a cellophane cocoon.
When asked how he became a professional lunatic, Harley laughed and said he went into college as a pre-med student. "I like to play too much," he said, and after a couple of classes he decided he would rather be a clown. The obvious major, was, of course, theater. He then started training with other clowns and learning side show tricks as well. His performances, he said, are a kind of oral tradition of that way of life.

NO VACATION FROM CRIME DURING BREAK

While students were away during Spring Break, campus crime remained in a state of flux.
Reported were the usual broken parking-lot gate arms, stolen bicycles and burglarized vehicles.
However, there were a few incidences that were out of the norm.
Pre-business junior Anthony Wayne Thompson, 21, was arrested and charged with interfering with the duty of a police officer after refusing to show identification upon request on Thursday, March 25.
According to police reports Thompson was seen walking with a backpack through lot 16B at 7:32 a.m.
"Officer (Debra) Rivera saw Thompson walking through the lot and wondered what he was doing on campus (during) the break," said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil. "She stopped him and asked him to produce his I.D., but he did not want to."
Later, Sgt. Colonel Lamunyon arrived and also asked for some identification.
"Thompson then turned and walked away and was in violation of the education code to show identification upon request," Wigtil said.
Thompson's bail was set at $500 for the misdemeanor offense. He could not be reached for comment.
M. D. Anderson Library was the scene of a simple assault against a 21-year-old Asian female student by 35-year-old Alejandro Sepulueda.
Sepulueda was charged with grabbing the student's buttocks as she passed him on the fourth floor blue wing, Wigtil said.
He was arrested and taken to Harris County Jail. According to police, Sepulueda says the incident was "accidental."
Former basketball player Craig Lillie was arrested March 22 for evading arrest.
Lillie, a 24-year-old senior, was to be arrested because of failure to appear in court for credit card misuse.
Lillie's residence in Cougar Place was anonymously reported to Crime Stoppers.
"At 10 a.m. Sgt. Jon Williams approached Lillie at lot 11A . . . but he turned and ran from the sergeant," Wigtil said. "He eventually stopped at William's command."
He was taken to Harris County jail, with bail set at $1,000 for the misdemeanor.

AMERICAN THEATERS RUN BY 'COWARDS'

by Mindi King

The American theater will not reach the cutting edge until theater owners and producers are concerned with art, not economics, and audiences are engaged, rather than passive, a distinguished UH playwright said.
Edward Albee, the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright and distinguished UH professor, said theater owners and producers are "playing a vicious game that has turned the commercial theater into a wasteland."
Albee spoke Tuesday night before approximately 450 people at "The Playwright vs. the Theatre," which was the first Inventive Minds Speakers Series event of the semester.
Mel Gussow, a leading theater critic for <I>The New York Times<P> moderated the hour-long discussion among Gussow, Albee and the audience. The event was held in the Grand Ballroom of the University Hilton.
Albee said the economics of the theater have led producers and theater owners, who ultimately control the theaters in New York City and determine what is shown, are more interested in selling tickets than advancing the art form.
"They are cowards," he said. "The huge economic investment plus the fact they think they know what will be tolerated by the powerhouse critics, results in a number of worthwhile plays that never make it to Broadway."
However dim the situation may be today, it is not theoretically hopeless, he said.
"If I was given billions and billions of dollars and was permitted to fill every Broadway theater with only the very best plays, acted and directed by extraordinary people, I am convinced that after ten years that would be the taste of theater-going audiences," he said.
Albee said critics also play a vital role in the advancement of the theater. "The role of critics is to elevate the public taste."
There are differences between critics and reviewers, he said. Critics are to objectively inform an audience what is intended in a performance and reviewers are to say what happened, he said. However, he added, far too many people read critical commentary as fact rather than opinion.
"Readers should know the mind of a critic before believing a review," he added.
Audiences also have a responsibility to make the value judgements they are capable of making, he said. The tolerated standards of Broadway are constantly being lowered because the variety of opportunity we are offered today is reduced more and more, he said.
Society can change the state of the American theater by demanding engagement by the audience, he said.
Today audiences want the theater experience to be safe, he said, and to remain "mindless and passive."
"The thing with a democracy is you can have anything you want, and you always end up with exactly what you deserve," he said.
America deserves to have the kind of art we have now, he said, but if we get angry enough about the way theater is today it may change.
"If the theater owners of Broadway, producers and critics would realize that what the audience wanted was the very best, then they would get it because it would sell," he said.

ACTRESS BRINGS CHARACTER TO LIFE

by Ericka Schiche and Rivka Gewirtz

Actress Ariyan Johnson says black women have been in bondage since slavery, often unprotected from the scourge of racial wars.
She has been compelled to speak out on what she sees as inequities in the film industry, a festering sore that is magnified in society at large.
"This was a first, where an African American woman was not the object but the subject and she actually felt, cried, smiled, laughed, made you hate her, made you like her -- you know, which is life, which is real," says Johnson, explaining what distinguishes the character she portrays in the film <I>Just Another Girl On the I.R.T.<P> from other black women portrayed in films.
Johnson, 21, portrays the main character in the film -- shot in a cinema verite style by writer and director Leslie Harris -- that tells the story of a teenager who has high aspirations, yet gets caught in a situation that will alter her destiny.
A self-described sheltered Brooklynite, Johnson says her actress mother introduced her to the arts at birth.
Lena Horne and Katherine Dunham, divas of film and dance, respectively, inspired the cafe au lait-complected Johnson to become a performer.
"I loved <I>Stormy Weather<P>. I remember watching it when I was little and just falling in love with Katherine Dunham because she was a dancer," she says, adding that Horne's screen presence has haunted her since then.
Black platform boots. Oversized Levis. A circa 1970s floppy Jackson 5 hat. A blue denim shirt and Jackie O glasses. The clothing ensemble Johnson wore in a recent interview separated her from her alter ego Chantel, the character she portrays in the film.
Chantel, a bright and shiny, extremely intelligent cutie from around the way dresses in a fly urban style. Sporting braids, hoop earrings, a bustier and oversized jeans, Chantel and her hip hop dance steps become the center of attention when she turns a party out in the film.
At first, she seems like just another loud, obnoxious teen on the subway. She spouts obscenities like a drunken sailor but tells the audience, with attitude, that she is a straight-A student on her way to med school.
In one day, the audience can see Chantel mess with her boyfriend in the laundromat, inform her white teacher of her African heritage, go to the principle's office, work at an upper west side gourmet shop and hang out with her friends, who discuss birth control.
On her way to an early graduation with honors, she falls into the pregnancy trap that has caught many naive young women. She is totally obsessed with money, clothes and boys, especially her jeep-driving man Tyrone.
Harris scripted the drama in an attempt to show the diversity and depth of character of black women. A dose of brutal realism is offered in the film, which is enhanced by a soundtrack that consists of heavy baseline raps by strong-voiced females.
Chantel deals with dark emotions that mainly stem from myriad responsibilities and life in an extremely dysfunctional family.
In one scene, Johnson's character is slapped by her father. To execute this scene, she must project rage, sadness and intense frustration. Johnson, who has a warm demeanor and is at times eloquent, displays her striking versatility and ability to both appeal to and offend the audience.
When production for the film began, she made a concerted effort to get under the skin of the character.
"I observed those girls on the train. I was teaching at the time at an after school program. I asked the kids about their knowledge of sex and disease and I was really surprised by the lack of knowledge the youth have," she says, her visage suggesting sadness.
A former student of the Alvin Ailey dance company, she also works as a writer, dancer, and choreographer. She describes herself as a perfectionist, someone who appreciates the emotional truths found in the writings of Alex Haley and Langston Hughes.
Johnson is disturbed by the disheartening inequities in the film industry, but prefers to look at them from a historical perspective. She does so by speaking of Stepinfetchit, a black master of minstrelcy.
"Yes'm sir, mister master, I kin go git da bucket fo' ya, which is painful for us to watch, but it's still a part of history," she says, mimicking Stepinfetchit.
"I look at it not as derogatory, because you will still be black and you will have to go on living your life being who you are -- you have to be comfortable with that, you have to know your history to be able to accept it."
Johnson seems highly capable of speaking through characters on how the scourge of social wars affect black women.

SUSPENDED PROF SUES UH DESPITE ASSAULT CHARGE

In the shadow of allegations that he sexually assaulted UH graduate student Analinda Moreno, suspended education professor H. Prentice Baptiste is suing the University of Houston for more than $2 million. The suit says UH failed to reinstate him to his teaching position.
Named as defendants in the suit filed March 12 are President James Pickering, senior vice president for academic affairs Glenn Aumann, assistant to the president Dorothy Caram, director of Counseling and Testing Gerald Osborne and Susan Donnell of Counseling and Testing.
After a UH judicial board ruled on June 30, 1992 that Baptiste sexually assaulted Moreno, Baptiste was required by Aumann to get psychological or psychiatric counseling.
Baptiste sought his own Houston-based psychiatrist but Osborne voiced a preference for a particular psychologist, Baptiste's attorney David Lopez said. Baptiste complied with Osborne's wishes and even saw both counselors for a time.
If after the counseling he was found fit enough to return to work, "his employment status would be re-evaluated and an appropriate date determined for returning Dr. Baptiste to his duties and salary," the suit says.
Osborne's chosen counselor provided Aumann with a letter on Sept. 30, 1992 confirming Baptiste could return to work.
"I am confident that Dr. Baptiste does not represent a risk to the community or himself at the present time, and I further believe that he is fit to return to all of his regular duties, including but not limited to administrative and teaching duties," the letter stated.
On Oct. 22, 1992 the psychologist reiterated his support for Baptiste's return to work.
However, Baptiste has not been returned to his position and is consequently suing Pickering, Aumann, Osborne and Donnell for $750,000 in compensatory damages and $1.75 million in punitive damages.
Counsel for the university would not comment on the suit.
"We don't talk about pending litigation," UH Counsel Nancy Footer said. "This matter may be settled out of court, so we don't like to talk unless some final resulting action happens."
According to Yolanda Ryan, Moreno's attorney, race has become a factor in the case against Baptiste, who is African-American.
"It's the most unfortunate part of this (case)," Ryan, whose client is Hispanic, said. "There are times when (it is appropriate to) say,'Yes, this is racism,' but this is not one of those times."
But racial discrimination has managed to play a role in Baptiste's lawsuit, claiming that Pickering, Aumann, Osborne and Donnell "have conspired to discriminate against against Dr. Baptiste . . . because of (his) race."
Since Moreno's allegations, other women have come forward also alleging sexual misconduct by Baptiste.
"Some of the complaints go back as far as 15 years," Ryan said. "As far as I'm concerned, this is a man who needs help."
Moreno's specific charge against Baptiste, who was UH's highest paid African-American professor, was that he touched her without her consent.
"She was in his office when it happened," Ryan said.
However, Baptiste contends that Moreno fabricated the charge for fear of not receiving proper credit for a project they were both working on, Lopez said.

FACULTY SENATE CALLS FOR NATIONAL PREZ SEARCH

by Kristine Fahrenholz

In a debate at an emergency Faculty Senate meeting Wednesday, faculty members opted for conducting a national search for the office of president instead of reappointing President James Pickering to the post .
The debate centered on Chancellor Alexander Schilt's decision on Tuesday to recommend to the Board of Regents that Pickering be reappointed for an indefinite term with the same $156,045 annual salary.
Earlier this month, Schilt met with the Faculty Senate's executive committee, the council of deans and staff council to discuss the issue, but Stephen Huber, a professor of law, said: "Schilt didn't ask for advice. He called an emergency meeting and manipulated it."
"We put out notes about the meetings to the groups we needed to meet with," Schilt said. "It is not our responsibility if not everyone showed up.
"It is safe to say that all three of the groups share my enthusiasm," Schilt said. "Because we are faced with a decline of several million dollars, the changes the university will undergo will require stable leadership."
There were four votes included at the meeting. The first, censuring Schilt for his procedures and sending a statement to the Board of Regents asking for an outside search for president, failed.
However, a separate motion recommending a national search for president narrowly won by a vote of 16 to 14.
Ultimately, a vote proposing a letter to Schilt and the Board of Regents voicing the faculty's confidence in Pickering, along with the recommendation to conduct a national search for the office of president, won approval.
"Faculty must be involved," Jim Walters, a professor of optometry and a faculty senator, said. Walters, as well as most of the senate, maintained that he likes Pickering, but due process must be involved in the selection of a president.
"In hard times that's exactly when due process should be involved," Walters said.
"Pickering will come through stronger if we conduct a national search," said Pauline Kolenda, a professor of anthropology.
Ernst Leiss, a professor of computer science, disagreed. "Because funding of the university is in trouble, we should not go searching for a new president," he said.
"Changing leaders sends the wrong message to everybody," he added.
"Legitimacy is essential to addressing the system," Huber said. "We need the legitimacy of a search for president rather than appointment from above."
Huber added that UH has a national search for the athletic director and basketball coach.
"This university has a disastrous history of national searches -- some of the turkeys we've appointed before," said Garth Jowett, a professor of communications.
The majority of the faculty senate was opposed to the idea of sending the motion of a national presidential search to the entire faculty for vote.
"We are here representing the faculty," Huber said.
One senate member couldn't recall in his 13 years at UH ever voting on anything as a faculty.
Pickering was named to a two-year presidency after Marguerite Ross Barnett died in 1992.
In a letter to Pickering, Schilt said UH's "historic activities" necessitate ending his temporary status.
The letter continued with: "Because stability and continuity of leadership are so critical, we are deeply grateful for your willingness to continue your leadership," he wrote. "I firmly believe UH and the UH System are best served by your continuing to direct (our) important endeavors."
Texas Southern University, Lamar University, the University of Texas and UH-Victoria underwent national searches for the office of president.
Appointing positions rather than going through formal searches has occurred elsewhere in the UH-System.
For example, UH-Clear Lake President Glenn Goerke was named to a two-year appointment, as well as other UH-System administrators who didn't go through the formal search process.

BASKETBALL ASSISTANTS VIE FOR VACANT COACH POSITION

While the search for a new basketball coach continues, UH assistant coaches Alvin Brooks and Tommy Jones are definite candidates on the list.
Although they have not been officially confirmed by the university, other possible candidates are coaches "Tubby" Smith of Tulsa and Joby Wright of Miami, Ohio.
Former Cougar basketball players Otis Birdsong and Elvin Haye may also be considered to fill the vacancy.
With a combined total of 11 years experience at UH between them, Brooks and Jones both want the coaching job.
"I am for sure interested in the job," Jones said. "I think that there are other candidates too, but I would like it."
Jones, who was the head coach at Houston Baptist University for four seasons before they dropped their program, wants to build on the existing program if he is chosen for the job.
"We have to step up and get into the tournament," Jones said. "We have been very close in the past. We can make it in the NCAA's and past the first round."
Recruiting is one of Jones' responsibilities and he admits that it is going slow.
"It is hard to recruit when we don't know who the coach will be," Jones said. "We are keeping up with the recruits and concentrating on looking to the future so we can get a coach in here and move on."
Brooks, who is a native Houstonian and former Cougar, would like for the Cougars to reach the NCAA tournament and advance. He also has other goals for the team if he were to be named to the position.
"I would like to bridge the gap between the community and the students," Brooks said. "That would strengthen our recruiting in Houston. We have been our best when we have had Houston natives on our roster."
Brooks, who is also responsible for recruiting, echoed Jones' concern with their recruits.
"It has been quite difficult," Brooks said. "Our recruits are just waiting to see what happens."
Both Brooks and Jones feel strongly about student-athletes concentrating on academics and finishing out the year in good standing.
"I would like to see more of our kids graduate," Jones said. "We need to continue to stress that."
"The athletes need to take care of business and finish up strong in school," Brooks said.
Even though there is feeling of uncertainty throughout the basketball department, Brooks and Jones are remaining optimistic about the continuing search for a basketball coach.

STUDENTS PAY $1600 FOR SA INAUGURAL BALL, BEEF

by David Sikes

In an attempt to imitate career politicians, UH's Students' Association is holding its inaugural dinner Monday, minus Fleetwood Mac.
More than 200 of UH's "who's who" were invited to be on hand for the last hurrah of SA President Rusty Hruska and the 29th SA Senate.
About 120 people have responded to the RSVP invitations for the coat and tie dinner honoring new SA President Jason Fuller, said Angie Milner, the SA director of public relations.
Kathy Whitmire couldn't make it, so Xavier Lemond, a UH regent, will deliver the keynote address.
The $1600 tab for the roast beef and fried chicken dinner is being picked up by UH students via their student service fees. The money is part of SA's 1992-1993 budget
"It's kind of a reward for a lot of thankless work done by the SA senators ... and it's not a lot of money," David Daniell, assistant director of Campus Activities, said.
It's generally a boring night, according to Michelle Palmer, speaker of the senate, who will be one of four speakers at the gala.
Palmer added that the planners were not sensitive to everyone, because the menu does not include a vegetarian entree.
"They don't think of things like that because none of those Republicans are vegetarians," she said.
Rounding off the night will be an awards ceremony honoring 15 senators and cabinet members of the past year.
Several SA members will receive awards for outstanding service and good attendance, said Palmer.