UH-NOW OUTLINES DEMANDS FOR SAFER CAMPUS

by Deborah Hensel

Five "non-negotiable demands" by the UH chapter of the National Organization for Women will be presented to UH President James Pickering, said Maria Gonzalez, factory advisor for the group.

The demands, which will be presented in an April 19 press conference at the UC, include banning athletes from participation in sports and fraternity members from membership if they are found guilty of sexual assault.

Other demands require the university to hire a gender-equity expert, increase Cougar Patrol personnel, improve lighting on campus and make emergency call boxes accessible to the handicapped.

The demands, Gonzalez said, are based on recommendations the Sexual Assault Task Force (SATF) presented to Pickering in February.

What NOW has done, Gonzalez said, is boil that 72-page document down to five priority items.

"Yes, we're making demands, but we also want to be part of the solution, have some input and do some the work," Gonzalez said. For instance, Gonzalez said some of the 65 members of NOW might volunteer to serve on Cougar Patrol.

With regard to sanctions against athletes involved in sexual assault cases, Associate Athletic Director Ted Nance said, "When somebody commits a crime and is proved guilty -- well, a crime is a crime."

Nance also said he was not aware of any incidents of sexual misconduct involving an athlete in recent years.

Mary Ellen Beaupre, an administrative assistant in the Student Athlete Enrichment program said her heart is with the athletes, but as a woman, she would want to see punishment taken to the full extent of the law.

Current NCAA regulations leave punishment for misconduct up to member institutions, she said.

John S. Logan, advisor to the Inter-fraternity Council, said the policy of that group follows the policy of the university, but each fraternity writes its own membership requirements.

SATF members discussed their recommendations with Pickering at a breakfast meeting Thursday.

Task force Chairwoman Cynthia Freeland said Pickering was very complimentary of the draft and of the months of research that went into it.

Pickering is expected to appoint a committee to write the actual policy, drawing from members of the task force. The policy must be written and in place by August to comply with the Federal Higer Education Reauthorization Act.

*******************************************************

APRIL FESTIVAL BRINGS FUN, GAMES, FOOD

by Dianne Beirne

In 1959, LIFE magazine dubbed the UH Frontier Fiesta "the greatest college show on earth."

After a 31-year hiatus and a hastily planned revival last year, the Frontier Fiesta returns to the campus April 16-17.

The event will combine a barbecue cook-off, carnival games and variety shows to resurrect the Cougar tradition and raise funds for the M.D. Anderson library.

Former Students' Association President Russell Hruska said the Frontier Fiesta is an opportunity for students, alumni and the university community to socialize and help enhance UH's image.

"A lot of students don't associate themselves with the campus as they do with their colleges," Hruska said. "We'd like the fiesta to be like a spring Homecoming."

The Frontier Fiesta, which began in 1940 and continued until 1960, was a mainstay of the UH community. In 1959, 100,000 people attended, said Patrick Brown, chairman of the student's Frontier Fiesta Association.

"It helped bring people to the campus," said Ron Morris, director of development for the Athletic Department. "Now, it's an opportunity to enjoy a campus experience. It's what you picture as part of college -- part of the fun is getting away from the books and sharing a camaraderie."

Morris, who oversees planning for the fiesta, said, "Several of us feel one of the best ways to develop a good alumni base is for the students to have a good time while they are here at UH."

Last year's Frontier Fiesta was planned in little more than a month, said Glen Lilie, a member of the Alumni Organization who has been involved in UH events for more than 20 years.

"We didn't know what we were doing," Lilie said. "It was difficult to get the student body involved because it was so new. The main difference between last year's fiesta and this year's is we had a lot more time to plan it, and a lot more students and members of the community are involved."

Although last year's event broke even financially, Morris said, the Kenny Rogers concert, held in conjunction with the event, lost money. This year, organizers are optimistic the fiesta will generate enough revenue to cover costs and have a surplus for the library.

The fiesta is supported in part by corporations who have donated money or services for the events, Morris said. Other funds have been raised through program advertising sales and entrance fees for the cook-off teams.

Many of the events will take place in the new parking lot at the corner of Elgin and Cullen. A western-themed Fiesta City will be constructed on the site, complete with an auction house, general store and blacksmith's shop, Morris said.

Other events will take place throughout the campus, including a Frontier Fiesta fun run, track meet, tennis tournament, football scrimmage and beauty pageant.

Last year, the Fiesta was marred by confusion over parking and availability of food. This year, organizers say there is no charge for admission to the fiesta or for parking. However, there will be an admission charge for each show.

Food and drinks will sold at the event. However, barbecue cook-off teams are not allowed to sell their food to the public.

Lilie said the fiesta can do a great deal to help UH overcome the image of being a commuter school with minimal campus activities.

"People spend a lot of time and effort getting a degree here. You can build the importance of the degree by enhancing the image of the university," Lilie said. "You can build a better image through student involvement."

FINANCIAL AID REVAMPING MAY COST $7 BILLION

by Dianne Beirne

With the costs of a college education rising 126 percent in the 1980s, a congressional study suggests the answer is to make more federal money available to students.

The study, "Making College Affordable Again," suggests that all full-time undergraduates should be eligible for $14,000 in federal aid.

It estimates first-year costs for the implementation would reach approximately $7 billion, prompting critics to label the study "unrealistic."

Rob Sheridan, director of Scholarships and Financial Aid at UH, said although the study addresses important questions about the student aid system, it is basically a set of recommendations, and it does not affect financial aid for UH students.

"In Texas, the cost of education is relatively low," Sheridan said. "The maximum cost of public education for Texas is $9,030 for a full-time resident student.

"Even if the study's recommendations were put into existence, a student would get the maximum Texas aid ($9,030), not the $14,000," he said.

Based on the 1991-1992 school year, 13,212 UH students received some form of financial aid, Sheridan said. And the total funds disbursed through the totaled almost $54 million, he added.

The two-year study, conducted by the National Commission on Responsibilities for Financing Post-secondary Education, resulted in the Student's Total Education Package (STEP).

Under the STEP recommendation, each student would be eligible for approximately $14,000 in financial aid, although the type of aid would vary based on financial needs and tuition costs.

The poorest students would receive more grants, while students from richer families would be eligible for unsubsidized loans with interest accrued throughout the life of the loan.

The STEP program assumes a maximum federal grant of $4,000 and a combined maximum work-study and federally subsidized loan award of $10,000.

The Education Finance Council, a non-profit association, suggests it is unrealistic to expect the government to come up with $7 billion.

However, many students would be pleased if the federal loan system cuts its bureaucracy to provide "user friendly" payment options, as the study suggests.

"When a person graduates from college, they are not necessarily at their peak earning capacity," Sheridan said. The study address the issue of making repayment more "income sensitive," he said.

With the re-authorization of the Higher Education Act in 1992, which governs all federal financial aid programs, lenders are required to make available upon request a graduated payment scale.

Using this scale, small payments would be made at first, with larger payments required as the person's income grows, Sheridan said.

The study also supports a direct lending program, in which the federal government would capitalize all student loans and eliminate private lenders and guaranty agencies.

Sheridan said the Clinton administration has said the new direct-loan program would save more than $5 billion.

But the Education Finance Council said a direct lending program would transfer the administration costs of the loans to colleges and universities.

"In public institutions, the costs would be passed on in the form of tuition and fees," Sheridan said. "I don't think the (Texas) legislature would approve a tuition increase to pay for the increased administrative burden."

But Sheridan said the direct loan program could streamline the loan process, making it easier for students to get their money quicker.

BEATING THE ODDS...THE VARIED ROLES OF NON-TRADITIONAL STUDENTS

by Doug Pack

As part of UH's emphasis toward providing graduate and continuing education, more and more students are returning to the university to prepare for new careers.

One UH graduate has returned to school with renewed enthusiasm and high hopes for the future -- after a 17 year hiatus.

A self-proclaimed rebel, 40-year-old Scott Williamson is back on the same campus he graduated from in 1976 -- this time to pursue a law degree.

While awaiting word on his application to UH's law school, Williamson is taking four freshman-level courses, including first year Spanish, just to get back in the swing of things.

"My goal for law school is to specialize in trade and commerce and Mexican law," Williamson said.

He said the UH Law School has one of the top Mexican law libraries in the country.

"Large markets are opening up in Mexico for all types of products as a result of the (North American) Free Trade Agreement, and I hope to get just a little piece of one of them," he said.

Through some of his current contacts, he hopes to start a brokerage operation while attending school.

Williamson plans to begin law school this summer as part of UH's four-year program for part-time students. The program was designed so working students have an extra year to complete the curriculum.

"I'm giving up a lot to do this," he added. "The transition has been easier because I don't have a wife or kids. However, I'm living in a 15-foot by 20-foot apartment room, and I share a bathroom." Williamson lives in Cougar Place.

"I can't go to dinner at restaurants like Houston's much anymore," he said. "I'm on a tight budget for the first time in years.

"My friends tell me I'm crazy, but they understand I really want this degree bad," he said.

After receiving his undergraduate degree in political science, he worked in new home sales and marketing in New York, Rhode Island and Houston before deciding to return to school this semester.

"I had become bored with my job. It became too easy for me. As with many jobs where you really don't need to use your mind, it becomes second nature," he said.

"That's one of the reasons I want to go to law school. In law you never stop learning, so I won't be mentally bored anymore."

Williamson said he felt he had become obsolete in technical knowledge and skills. "My friend's 5-year-old kid knows more about computers than I do," he said. "I think in 10 years if you can't run a computer, you're in big trouble."

Accordingly, he is taking a computer course this semester along with accounting, Spanish and physical education.

***********************

BEATING THE ODDS

by Marla M. Crawford

Returning to school after years of being away can be frustrating and sometimes a little scary. But it doesn't have to be.

By being admitted under the Adult Admission Option Program, transcripts and test scores that show previous poor performance can be waived.

This is a great incentive to return to school for many students who dropped out because of poor grades.

A student admitted under the AAOP status must be 25 years old or older, have a high school diploma or the equivalent and have not attended any school for the past five years. Also, the student cannot be a former UH student.

"It's a chance for students over 25 to start over again at the university level with no past history," said Nick Brines, admission counselor.

Brines said some of these students may have dropped out to raise a family.

"These students have life experience and are more mature," said Brines. "That's why we give them a second chance."

AAOP students cannot declare a major during their first 18 hours. During these first hours, students are assigned a special advisor.

Applications for AAOP status are available in the admissions office.

After completing 18 hours, students who maintain a 2.5 GPA may declare a major and may petition for regular-student status. They may also request financial aid.

Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn offers financial aid to non-traditional students by offering $1,000 to those 30 and older who are beginning college or returning. These applications are in the Scholarship and Financial Aid office in E. Cullen.

For students who attend evening classes, the Dean of Students office makes life easier by staying open after most campus offices have closed. And this semester a counselor will be available on Saturdays.

"Parking and transport closes at 5 p.m. We can pick up the parking decals for students," said Kamran Riaz, assistant dean of students. "Students can get ball-game tickets until 9 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends."

The Student Information and Assistance Center in the UC is operated by the Dean of Students office and stays open until 9 p.m. Riaz said admissions and testing applications can also be picked up there.

"We publish a brochure for students each year that has all office phone numbers, all offices that stay open after 5 p.m. and a campus map," Kamran said.

"And there is no charge for any of these services."

POLITICIANS START CAREERS WITH LEG-WORK

by Annette Baird

UH alumni who have graduated to the Texas and U.S. legislatures agree that starting at the bottom and working up through the ranks is the best way to get into politics.

State Rep. Debra Danburg advises students to get involved in organizing at the grass-roots level. "Pick someone you like and volunteer for their campaign. Get involved in student politics," she said.

As a sixth grader, State Sen. Don Henderson handed out literature for Richard Nixon's 1960 presidential campaign.

"You need dedication and a paid job. Develop a skill. Keep an interest in politics and make the decision to run for office," said U.S. Rep. Gene Green. Students interested in politics need to get a degree in something with which they can earn a living, Greene said.

State Rep. Kim Brimer said politics should not be a person's main profession. "It is important to establish a career outside politics so you can live under the laws you make. Career politicians don't experience the laws they make. They're too removed from the process," Brimer said.

Brimer, who cited Ronald Reagan as the president he most admired, became interested in politics when he was the political action chairman for his profession. Brimer is an independent insurance agent. After running unsuccessfully for state representative in 1984, Brimer captured the District 96 seat in 1988. "I was enchanted by the whole process," Brimer said.

Brimer won a football scholarship to UH in 1966, and then transferred to Stephen F. Austin University in 1967, where he majored in business.

Greene said he has always been interested in politics. After graduating from UH with a business degree in 1971, Greene successfully ran for state representative in his newly drawn district. In 1977, he passed his bar exam at UH. Greene won a seat in the Texas Senate in 1985, and last year won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The first office Danburg held was vice president of the UH Students' Association in 1974. Danburg has worked as campaign manager for such luminaries as the late Congressman Mickey Leland, former Houston Mayor Kathy Whitmire and U.S. Rep. Craig Washington. She has been a state representative since 1981.

Danburg, who admits to being headstrong and opinionated, says her main interest is equal rights issues. "I'm a feminist and a strong constitutionalist," she said. "I'm a can-do person. I'm real interested in cutting red tape."

Henderson has held office for 22 years. He served five terms as state representative from 1973-1983. In 1982, Henderson ran for state senator, a position he has held ever since.

The financial rewards for serving in some areas of politics are not good. State senators and state representatives get $600 per month. Danburg said she has made a significant financial sacrifice in her law practice to devote her time to politics. As a congressman, Gene Greene gets $130,000 per year.

Richard Murray, a political science professor, said politics is a people business, adding that getting a degree in liberal arts is an advantage. Murray said students need to get experience. "There are two ways to go about it: either get active in student government, or volunteer in political campaigns. You have to be a self-starter and work up," Murray said.

Campus Activities has as many as 13 political organizations in which students can get involved. The Students' Association has yearly elections in the spring when students can participate as a member of a party or run as an independent.

YATES PROJECT HELPS HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS GET PAST DRUGS, GANGS

by Shaunn Boyd

The school is caged in by a high fence in which most of the entrances are padlocked. Walk through the halls between each class period and an administrator is on hall duty. Some of the teachers and monitors have whistles and walkie-talkies. Every now and then, a policeman appears.

This is what students at Jack Yates Senior High School see almost every day.

This educational crisis of today's youth tells of high drop-out rates, gang violence, teen pregnancy and drug abuse. The Yates Project, overseen by project manager Earnest McGowen Jr., is part of Communities in Schools (CIS), a non-profit organization that provides drop-out prevention services in the Houston Independent School District. In conjunction with the Texas Department of Human Services, the project also oversees the availability of family planning, teen parenting classes, substance-abuse education, tutoring and study skills training to the students and families.

To assist the students and the administration at Yates, the UH African-American Studies Department has established a mentor/mentee program.

Originated by UH students Eric Potts and Kevin Ballew, the program offers a variety of services; however, its main goal is to "develop friendships and bridge the gap of communication between the younger generation and those who are older and wiser," said Ballew.

"Some black men don't take on responsibility as far as raising black youth and developing them into men. Women can't teach young boys how to be men. Some men take on this attitude of 'I don't have any kids; therefore, I don't have any responsibility.' Well, if you're a black man, every black kid is your responsibility."

McGowen feels the program has proven effective. "This is something new to the kids. When it was explained to them it was of a big brother/big sister nature, most of them that were in the CIS program were asking for mentors."

Mentor Deirdra Herron, a senior majoring in management information systems, believes the program has been successful.

"The students at Yates have someone older but not too far enough in age that they can associate with. It doesn't take a lot of time, and it benefits us all because as college students we're doing something for the black community. Some students want to wait until they get their degrees before going back into the community. Sometimes that may not happen."

"Angela," a sophomore at Yates, said, "The program is successful. I have someone I can talk to in a time of need. The students are close to our age so they've been through some of the same things that we're going through."

"John" agreed. "I have a lot of family problems, and I don't have a father to talk to. And I can't talk to my mother about certain things. (The mentors) know more than I know and are able to give answers to questions that I have."

Ballew says the key is to listen to what the young people are saying. "No one ever asks, 'What are your concerns? What's going on inside of your head?' "

According to Ballew, "It's important to keep in contact with the students because we have to assure them that it's more than just a project. We have to let them know that somebody cares."

N. ILLINOIS STUDENTS GET FREE CONDOMS

by Rebecca McPhail

UH students looking for condoms on campus will end up shelling out anywhere from 60 cents to $2.50 for a pack of three.

But for the past five years, students at Northern Illinois University need only fish out their brand of choice from bowls conveniently placed in health centers, Greek houses and residence halls. The students' health fees cover the cost of the condoms.

"In a survey we found that, since the condoms have been available, the number of people who say they always use condoms has gone up 71 percent. Unwanted pregnancies have gone down 29 percent," said Michael Haines, director of NIU Health Services.

Last month, in an effort to encourage condom use, NIU held The Great Condom Rating Contest. The school distributed condoms to 4,000 students for rating on the basis of appearance, sensuousness/comfort, smell, taste, lubrication and sense of security.

Although the health center had only received 35 responses after the first month of the contest, Haines still considers the contest a success.

Haines said the three goals of the contest were to increase the number of students who actually use condoms, to disseminate health information to the students and to get feedback from condom users on their preferences.

"We were successful on the first two counts," Haines said.

The contest, which cost the health center $2,100, was jointly funded. The Illinois HIV Prevention Consortium donated $1,000; the remaining $1,100 was provided by revenue from campus condom vending machines.

Condoms are available at UH in restroom vending machines and at convenience stores on campus. But don't look for them to be freely distributed in the future.

"Although we do give them away during the Health Fair, we don't routinely distribute them for free," said Jennifer Nguyen, chief nurse of the UH Health Center.

Even if the condoms were free, said Tom Penett, UH director of Housing, there would be problems with distribution in the residence halls.

"I'd have to give some thought to just setting them out like bowls of candy," he said.

"I don't think it's going to solve anything. If people want to engage in sex, they should have the foresight and personal honesty to plan ahead. We're not here to spoon-feed them."

Of course, the need for condoms at NIU may have been a little more severe than at UH.

Haines said there were several instances of students coming to the health center's emergency room looking for condoms. "I guess in their minds it was an emergency," he added.

TEN HANDS FINGERED FOR SUCCESS

by Jeff Balke

Every so often, a band full of talent that defies categorization and simply blows people away every time they play comes along. Ten Hands is a perfect example.

The Dallas-based quartet has impressed audiences for years but can't seem to break into the ever-elusive music industry.

Their latest independent release, <I>Jazz for Jerks<P>, is a wild combination of rock, funk, jazz and reggae and is their best release so far.

<I>The Big One is Coming<P>, their first effort released in 1989, showcased the band where they're at their best, live. <I>Be My Guru<P>, their first release with an independent label, was a little disappointing. The songs on <I>Be My Guru <P> and the playing were fantastic, but Pete Elia's production job was pitiful.

<I>Jazz for Jerks<P> finally combines the live intensity and the great songs of Ten Hands and shows them in their true element.

Unfortunately, Ten Hands has always gotten the title "Dallas funk band," but they are much more. From the dark, Peter Gabriel-ish "Barely Alive" to the goofy jazz of "Oh, Bernice" to the blues-like rock of "Trip to Carrollton," Ten Hands covers all the bases.

Although the band has existed in several incarnations, the line-up now is its best. With the intense, yet quirky J. Paul Slavens belting out the sarcastic, sometimes politically tinged vocals behind his keyboard, Steve Brand always playing the perfect guitar part, Gary Muller holding down the low end on the "stick," and Alan Emert leaving drummers' jaws dropped with his incredible playing, Ten Hands' music has found a home on <I>Jazz for Jerks<P>.

Their music isn't the only thing that hooks people. Their deep, insightful and sometimes hysterical lyrics seem to be completely at home surrounded by the music. The basic theme to their lyrics seems to be, "don't be apathetic." All the lyrics seem to almost be a call to get involved, not necessarily in anything specific, but the message is clear. Whether it's the environment, open-mindedness or common sense, Ten Hands asks its listeners to think and be aware right along with them.

I have tried again and again to describe what Ten Hands is most like, and I can never do it. All I know is that every time I take someone to see the band for the first time, he or she religiously searches for the next time they can encounter the band.

STRANGE DAZE

by Rebecca McPhail

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson has always been something of an enigma. Writer, public speaker and drug user/abuser extraordinaire, Thompson skirts the fringe of respectability.

The good doctor has been immortalized in cartoons (he is the inspiration for Doonesbury's gun-toting Uncle Duke) and movies (Bill Murray perfected Thompson's patented machine gun style mumble in 1980's <I>Where the Buffalo Roam<P>).

But now, with the near-simultaneous publication of three Thompson biographies, the self-proclaimed "gonzo" journalist's reputation is sure to take on mythic proportions.

Probably, the most fascinating of the three biographies is <I>Hunter: The strange and savage life of Hunter S. Thompson <P> by E. Jean Carroll.

Carroll, who has written for Esquire, Playboy and Rolling Stone has the distinction of actually spending time with Thompson at his Colorado ranch. In fact if one is to believe the book jacket, Carroll and Thompson were very close.

Carroll was supposedly kicked off Thompson's ranch early one morning, "Only hours before we were to run off to Meeker and get married."

However, "supposedly" is the key word when dealing with Carroll. Much like her subject, Carroll seems to have a penchant for exaggerating facts, stretching the truth and just plain lying when it suits her purpose. Luckily, the true meat of the story is not actually told by Carroll.

<I>Hunter <P>is a collection of reminiscences by family, friends and acquaintances. The recollections are framed by a fictional episode involving the corruption of pristine ornithologist, Miss Laetetia Snap.

Apparently the fictional Miss Snap is lured to Thompson's ranch. Once there, Thompson seduces Miss Snap into a downward road of drugs, drunkenness and debauchery, culminating in Miss Snap's imprisonment in Thompson's cesspool. From her concrete cell, Miss Snap is forced to record the lurid events of Thompson's sordid past.

On examining the doctor's past, Miss Snap finds him "exhibiting a view of debauchery and felony never seen in a literary man since the Marquis de Sade."

As for the rest of the book, it tends to confirm what most people associated with Thompson already knew. If, indeed, Western civilization is to go down in a flurry of drugs, sex and violence, we will need someone to lead us into the pit of Hell.

That someone is Hunter S. Thompson.

CAMPUS NEWS

Health on tour

The Collegiate health and fitness tour will be on campus today until Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. each day. Students will have opportunities to win T-shirts, caps, sunglasses, and can try their skills on a rock-climbing wall, a velcro wall, a golf challenge, and a basketball challenge.

There will also be alcohol and wellness I.Q. tests, health information and giveaways. In addition to campus sponsors such as PRIDE and STEPS, corporate sponsors include Jeep-Eagle, Sprint, and Nabisco. For more more information, call 743-5457.

Law School Gift

Robert Knauss, dean of the UH Law Center, announced a major contribution to the UH law school to support the most immediate priorities of the school .

The John M. O'Quinn Foundation originally pledged the contribution toward the construction of a new law building. With new budgetary restrictions, however, the law school has more pressing needs, and the foundation agreed to re-direct their gift. O'Quinn is a 1967 graduate of the UH Law School.

The $3.5 million will be used to create two endowed chairs for faculty, to accomplish renovation in the law library, and to support equipment and facilities for the National College of District Attorneys.

Super Collider

UH is collaborating on research related to the development of the Superconducting Super Collider.

To date, UH has collaborated on research projects that have received a total of $1.9 million.

The Super Collider, the world's most advanced particle accelerator for high-energy physics research, will use magnets to energize protons to near light speed for collisions that will occur at the rate of 100 million per second.

DOWN THE DRAIN

by Patti Warner

The Cougars had victory in their grasp Saturday before it was literally washed away.

Houston, 22-17 (2-10), dropped two of three games to the No. 12 Texas Tech Red Raiders in a soggy, controversial three-game series at Cougar Field this weekend.

Saturday's second game saw the Cougars get on the board early when left fielder Brian Blair reached base via Red Raider shortstop George Kilford's error in the first inning. Third baseman Ricky Freeman singled, and Blair scored on center fielder Phil Lewis' groundout.

Houston added another run in the third after shortstop Jason McDonald drew a lead-off walk and scored on Freeman's groundout.

Tech tied the score in the fourth inning when designated hitter John Tole and third baseman Saul Bustos singled. Jones hit center fielder Mike Kinney for the second time in the game to load the bases.

Kilford hit a slow grounder to second baseman Scott Kohler, who threw to McDonald to get Kinney at second. McDonald threw wildly to first, allowing Mitch King, who was running for Tole, and Bustos to score.

The Cougars went ahead again in their half of the fourth when right fielder Shane Buteaux singled, stole second and advanced to third on Red Raider catcher Matt Smith's throwing error. Second baseman Scott Kohler singled to left, driving in Buteaux for the third Houston run.

In the fourth, Tech second baseman Trey Forkerway singled and King walked. Bustos hit a slow roller that scooted under McDonald's glove to score Forkerway and King in what turned out to be the deciding runs.

"Jason McDonald just broke down on us and cost us a ball game," Houston coach Bragg Stockton said. "It's incredible how (defense) continues to plague us."

Heavy rains came in the seventh inning and umpires ordered the infield covered. It stopped raining before the tarp was put on, but the umpires stuck with their decision and the tarp was never removed.

The game was officially called because of rain with the Red Raiders ahead 4-3.

"We're not sure they should have called the game in the first place," Stockton said. "In an 18-game series, rain should not determine who wins or loses."

In a game between Rice and Baylor the same situation happened, and umpires suspended the game and made the teams return Sunday to finish.

The Cougars won the first game of Saturday's twin-bill behind freshman Jeremy Tyson's (2-3) strong pitching performance and Blair's and designated hitter Robert Goudeau's first-ever SWC home runs.

Friday's game, which saw the Red Raiders win 13-2, sparked some heated emotions. Cougar starter Matt Beech (3-4) hit three Tech batters, including Bustos twice. After the second time, both benches emptied and Bustos had to be restrained.

RUGBY CLUB TAKES THIRD

IN TEXAS TOURNAMENT

by Ambir Davis

It has been called elegant violence; and elegant it was as the UH rugby football club captured third place in the Collegiate Texas Championship Tournament March 28 at Rice.

The rugby team successfully defeated the University of Dallas, 27-5. Rice took first place, and Southwest Texas State University received the second place trophy.

Claudio Bertamini, who has played on the team for two seasons, contributes the victory on Sunday to, "Good pursuit of the ball.

"I think we played well as a unit. We all supported each other. We played well as a team," he said.

Team captain Lee Dillard said, "It was good to end the season on a positive note, and we were happy to take third place in state."

Head coach Mark Speer said, "This is the first winning season ever since the team was formed in 1981. I'm very proud of the kids." He said the team made drastic improvements as the season progressed.

"They made a 100 percent turn around. I watched a bunch of misfits learn the meaning of responsibility, dedication, conditioning and fitness," Speer said.

Speer, who has coached UH rugby for the past four summers, said this was his first full season to coach. As the season, which began in September, comes to a close, the team's first side players hold a 23-5 record. The second side players stand at 6-0.

The rugby team, which receives limited funds from the university, pays for most of its expenses and the coaches work on a voluntary basis.

Rob Sharabba, president of the club, said he was proud of the team but added that they could use more support and more money. "We really need new jerseys, especially for the guys next year," he said.

After some reflection, coach Speer said, "I would like to give special thanks to Sharabba, Dillard, match secretary Ron Gall, assistant coach Matt 'Apollo' Creede and conditioning coach Chris Rampachek."

On April 16, 17 and 18 the team will travel to Gulfport, Miss., for the Gulf Coast Rugby Club Tournament, and April 24 the Alumni Game and semi-formal Spring banquet will be held. For more information, call the UH rugby hotline at 685-1765.

FRESHMAN PITCHER SHINES IN COUGARS'

MISERABLE SERIES AGAINST TEXAS TECH

Amid the thunder clouds that rained on the Cougars Saturday, they still seemed to find a bit of silver lining in right-handed pitcher Jeremy Tyson.

Tyson threw a complete game, pitching seven innings and giving up only one unearned run in the Cougars 3-1 victory over Texas Tech Red Raiders.

"We got a very fine pitched game out of the freshman Jeremy Tyson," coach Bragg Stockton said. "He displayed a whole lot of grit. If there hadn't been base on balls and an error in that first inning, he would have shut them out. We felt very good about that."

Tyson took advantage of his first Southwest Conference start, striking out three, walking two and giving up seven hits throughout the game. He finished the game in style, retiring the last 11 batters.

The Raiders scored their only run on a Jason McDonald error in the first inning.

"To be honest, I didn't think I had a whole lot of good stuff," Tyson said. "I kept the ball down, and I hit my spots pretty well. I didn't have a lot on my fastball, but my curveball kept me out of trouble."

The good stuff he had did the job for the Cougars, who seem to go through more pitchers in one game than most teams do in a whole series.

Tyson has a 3.57 ERA in the SWC and is 1-2. Overall he has recorded three saves with a 2-3 record and a 3.50 ERA.

Just a freshman, Tyson eagerly takes helpful advice from the veteran players on the team.

"In the second inning, Wade Williams came over and sat by me and told me that it looked like I was trying to be too fine," Tyson said. "Jeff Wright told me to concentrate on getting my curveball over. Little tips, pointers and confidence boosters from the other guys always helps my confidence level."

The Cougars are still in last place in the SWC at 2-10, but Tyson remains optimistic in spite of it.

"Even if we don't make it to the top four, we need to keep our heads up and play hard," Tyson said. "That is why we are here, to play hard and play together. That is something we kind of quit doing lately. Hopefully this can help us get back on track.

"Who knows? Some breaks may happen. Some bad people may beat some good people, and we'll be in the top four and we'll be in Austin playing in the conference tournament," he said.

Hopefully the optimism, not dark clouds, will continue to reign down on the Cougars for the rest of the season.

TECH WINS HOOPS CHAMPIONSHIP

Senior forward Sheryl Swoopes scored 47 points to lead the Texas Tech Red Raiders to their first NCAA women's basketball national championship. Tech beat Ohio State 84-82 at the Omni on Atlanta Sunday.

Swoopes' 47 points set a record for most points in a championship game.