NEW TEACHING STYLE COMBATS BOREDOM

by Heather Morgan

Students who are failing, take heart. The problem may not lie with the student, but with each person's style of learning.

To combat problems of boredom and apathy among students, UH's French Department has been experimenting with a new teaching method called accelerated learning.

Robert Shupp, chair of the French Department, said the method was developed by Georgi Lozanov, a language teacher and psychologist in Sofia, Bulgaria. About 20 years ago, Lozanov was shocked at how students found education so boring and were quickly burned out. Shupp said Lozanov was also surprised at how little information people recall only a couple years after instruction.

Lozanov developed theories which led to accelerated learning's development. He found that the more associations a student builds while learning, the easier the information is to learn and recall. Lozanov discovered that three types of learners exist: visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Most people are a combination of two or all styles.

Shupp said the U.S. school system is mostly visual and somewhat auditory, with little kinesthetic, or touching, experience in the learning process. "However, accelerated learning attempts to address all three styles," he said.

In classes that use the method, the visual learner is addressed because all instruction has a visual ground, Shupp said. Material is said aloud more than once for auditory students. The kinesthetic learners benefit from the games and participatory activities.

In the traditional teaching method, the teacher usually lectures and the students do not often participate.

Traditional teaching stimulates mainly the brain's left hemisphere, whereas accelerated learning stimulates the right side, Shupp said.

To stimulate the right hemisphere, accelerated learning uses color-coded posters and music during class, Shupp said. "Material is taught and used immediately in the classroom," he said.

"Lozanov found people learn things and recall better in an emotional situation," said Shupp. Props, costumes and wigs are used to act out dialogues, and music is played during class. A majority of the music from 1700-1753, and subliminal and New Age music is also played.

Shupp said Colin Rose's <I>Accelerated Learning<P> cites statistics that prove students who have completed the method do better in all their classes.

Currently all teaching assistants in the French Department are trained to teach with the new method.

John Moses, a teacher assistant in the French Department, said students can choose which method they would like by selecting the appropriate course number.

The method is only taught in the first two years of French because the method is not really applicable in the upper levels, he said. The method is not as useful in these levels that concentrate on applying the language to literature.

This semester six French 1502 sections and two 2301 sections are using the method.

*******************************************************

UH STEPS UP EFFORTS TO COLLECT STUDENT DEBT

by Heather Wolk

In an attempt to collect delinquent debts, the Office of Finance and Accounting sent out almost 4,000 notices requesting payment.

Students who have not paid the third installment for spring 1993 have one more chance to make payment before penalties go into effect.

On March 31, a letter was sent to enrolled students with outstanding debt requesting payment within 10 days. This gives them until Monday, April 12.

If full payment is not received by then, students will be barred from receiving credit for current courses, and will not be permitted to enroll for future classes.

In addition, students' transcripts and reports will be withheld, and a $50 fee will be assessed.

Interim Director of Finance and Accounting Judy Viebig said 3,844 letters were sent, and she encourages students to pay by the deadline to avoid future hassles.

"They won't be allowed to get their grades or receive credit for (classes) until they pay," Viebig said.

"There's always a letter that is sent out at this point," she said. "In the past, we had about 1,100 students that had these sanctions placed against them. We don't anticipate that many this year."

The office had been warned to expect a mass of people, and to hire police officers to keep things under control, Viebig said. However, things have been fairly calm, she added.

"We seem to be getting a high level of payments," said Viebig. "We are trying to follow up on collecting payments, for student and employee debts alike."

Loan funds are not available for payment of delinquent balances.

'COVER ME, I'M GOING IN'

CPS -- "When you take off your pants, like my mama say, 'Don't forget the price you have to pay,' " crooned the grandmotherly woman as she strummed her guitar in the lobby of the Student Health Center at Ohio State University.

Meet Jane, the Condom Lady.

A familiar figure at OSU, the 50-something Jane Scott belts out prophylactic tunes and passes out condoms in a one-woman crusade to promote safe sex and raise AIDS awareness on campus.

"She is a tremendous lady, lots of fun," said Mary Ann Joseph, coordinator of nursing at the Health Center. "She's a big resource for us."

The mother of three sons, Scott became aware of the dangers of unprotected sex several years ago and took it upon herself to leave condoms on their pillows, she said in a story in the Ohio State Lantern, the campus paper.

Now her crusade has expanded, and she gets requests from all over the country to teach health officials how to encourage students to use condoms.

"I took some of her stuff to the American College Health conference, and they loved it," Joseph said.

Her unusual condom packages are assembled by the hundreds in the basement of her Columbus home, with members of the Health Center staff occasionally assisting in the production line.

Scott says the packages get people to talk about condom use.

For instance, one package has a tiny gun glued to it with a card that reads, "Cover me, I'm going in."

Another Halloween special features a small orange pumpkin affixed to the package with a card that reads, "Don't get tricked -- Use your treat." For Valentine's Day, Scott added a tiny red heart and a card that reads, "I have a heart-on for you."

Scott has passed out condom samples to students in dorms, Greek houses and formal dances. Her songs and poems are sprinkled with references to date rape and alcohol abuse, as well as condoms.

"Kids know a lot about HIV, but their knowledge doesn't mean their behavior is OK," said Joseph, who said more OSU students were treated for sexually transmitted diseases than for sore throats and colds last year.

STUDENTS SEE RISE IN ENVIRONMENTAL JOBS

by Jenny Silverman

Twenty years ago, environmentally oriented jobs were few and far between. Many students majoring in environmentally related fields such as forestry and conservation were relegated to government related jobs.

Today, however, many new public interest groups are looking for individuals with strong backgrounds in environmental sciences.

The rise in concern for the environment has led to an outgrowth of various ecologically minded careers. Students who major in marine sciences and oceanography often work in research, trying to develop new methods of dealing with such environmental disasters as oil slicks. Texas A&M-Galveston has a large Marine Science Department.

Environmental law is a popular specialty. UH, Lewis & Clarke College in Oregon and the University of California at Santa Cruz have strong environmental law programs.

Visiting Professor Harless Benthul is a lawyer for the Environmental Protection Agency and teaches an environmental crimes course this semester at UH Law Center. "The University of Houston has a very good Energy and Environment program, and many law students are hired by the EPA from UH," he said.

UH offers an ecology course, but the school does not have an environmental science program. "We leave most of the environmental sciences to rural schools such as A&M," said Robert Hazelwood, head of the UH Biology Department.

Students interested in an environmentally related field should contact: Greenpeace USA, 1436 U St. N.W. Washington, D.C. 20009, or call (202) 462-1177. The Sierra Club is located at 730 Polk St. San Francisco, Calif. 94109 or call (415) 776-2211. Both organizations offer internships and volunteer opportunities.

BUFFING IT

Teacher fired for nude assignmnet

CPS -- About two dozen California State University-Northridge students barricaded themselves inside the university president's office to protest the firing of a student teacher who asked them to draw nude pictures of themselves.

The Feb. 17 protest, which ended peacefully with no arrests, highlighted the case of Rupert Carl Stechman, 25, a former graduate teaching associate who claims his views are being censored by the university.

"They're trying to expel me now," said Stechman, who is studying for a master's degree in art. "It's pretty stressful."

Stechman's troubles started when he began teaching the beginning drawing class in late January. Stechman said he had problems getting his students to unleash their creative abilities, so he told them to do nude self-portraits.

"I thought the easiest way to get them to loosen up was to go look at themselves in the mirror and draw themselves," Stechman said.

Stechman's faculty supervisor, Marvin Harden, ordered him to cancel the assignment because he felt it was inappropriate for a beginning art class. So Stechman gave students the option of doing the assignment or drawing a still life. About 90 percent of the students turned in the nude self-portraits, Stechman said.

On Feb. 15, Stechman was fired. When he told his students two days later, the class angrily marched out and locked themselves inside CSUN President Blenda Wilson's conference room. Stechman conducted class for the students and even tried ordering pizza. The protest ended peacefully at noon.

Stechman said he was told to cancel the assignment after a parent of one of his students complained.

"I think it's censorship in the sense that I am a peer of the students, and we have different needs than the faculty has. Most of my students like doing this. It's discovering who we are," Stechman said.

Harden could not be reached for comment. University officials confirmed the firing, but were unable to discuss the details because they said it was a personnel issue.

A CSUN spokesperson denied censorship was involved. "Northridge isn't puritanical," said Kaine Thompson, CSUN spokesperson. "It has nothing to do with censorship. He was not censored for doing nude assignments. He was under the supervision of the (art) department to do basic fundamentals of objects."

Stechman admitted he was wrong to assign the nude self-portraits after Harden asked him to cancel the assignment. But he did not think that justified his firing. Nor does he think he should be expelled for participating in a campus protest.

He is still waiting to hear from the university if he will be expelled.

"I'm only one class away from my degree. If I get expelled, I would never get into another university," he said.

TWO MEN HEIST STUDENT'S CAR

No longer a mysterious trend, carjacking is becoming increasingly well known and equally feared.

The latest in campus carjackings occurred Tuesday in lot 19A near the Law Center at 11:58 a.m.

The victim, a 19-year-old hotel and restaurant management sophomore, was robbed of her 1993 maroon Mitsubishi Eclipse shortly after another woman, the witness, avoided the same fate.

"The witness ... was approached in the lot by two black men asking for a jump-start," said UHPD Sgt. Richard Vaughn. "She refused to help them and referred them to a call box."

The two men then walked away toward the Law Center, Vaughn said. The witness then saw a struggle ensue between one of the men and the victim.

According to the victim, before the robbery she had just placed an anti-theft device on her steering wheel when she was approached from behind by the two men.

"The suspect put his arm around her neck and physically lifted her off the ground," Vaughn said.

She was subsequently pushed to the ground and searched for her keys. "The suspects drove away but in an unknown direction," said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil.

"When she (the witness) saw the struggle, she called 911 on her mobile phone," Vaughn said. "Another unknown person called (UHPD) on the call box."

Names of the victim and witness are being withheld due to an ongoing investigation, Wigtil said.

"The victim also did not require any medical attention," he added.

One suspect has been identified as a 5-foot-8-inch black male weighing 150 pounds. He is between 21 and 23 years old with a close cut haircut, brown eyes and a medium complexion with no visible scars.

He was seen wearing a purple and yellow shirt with baggy jeans. The witness said both suspects have high, prominent cheekbones and very similar facial features. The stolen vehicle has a Texas license plate JTC-21Y. If anyone has additional information about or witnessed the event, call UHPD at 743-0600.

RECORD RE-DONE

The Rykodisc label continues to establish itself as the kind of cool folk-rock with this latest installment in a series of reissues from the Hannibal vaults.

If memory serve, "The French Record" was one of the McGarrigle sisters' most popular albums when it was first released in 1980, and it deserves the renaissance it's getting now.

An instantly endearing collection of folk songs and originals sung in French, "The French Record" never sounds pretentiously folksy or slavishly authentic. Instead it combines elements of Canadian tradition and pop sensibility to create a lovely and loving patchwork.

Highlights include "En Filant Ma Quenouille," a banjo-driven spinning song, and the wistful "Entre Lajeunesse et La Sagesse." Very highly recommended.

SOLITARY REFLECTION

Alan Lightman wanted peace, quiet, and no distractions.

A place where time could not be measured by an instrument with an ivory face and ebony arms.

The Harpswell islands just south of Maine.

No phone calls. No ferries. None of the pressures of working as a professor of physics and writing at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Just three months of total immersion in his work.

While there, he would spend half the day writing and his wife would spend that time caring for their children. When he ceased writing for the day, he would serve as caretaker for his two girls while his wife painted.

The result of his labor on the island of isolation is Einstein's Dreams, Lightman's novel that takes the reader through many conceptions of time and places Albert Einstein, the physicist revered for his general and specific theories of relativity in a patent office in Berne, Switzerland. The novel, which holds eighth position on the New York Times Bestseller list, is rather short, but filled with colorful descriptions of the dreams in which time is conceptualized.

"There is a place where time stands still. Raindrops hang motionless in air. Pendulums of clocks float mid-swing. Dogs raise their muzzles in silent howls. Pedestrians are frozen on the dusty streets, their legs cocked as if held by strings. The aromas of dates, mangoes, coriander, cumin are suspended in space," he writes in one passage of the book.

The scientist continues with his vivid description of the center of time.

"As a traveler approaches this place from any direction, he moves more and more slowly. His heartbeats grow farther apart, his breathing slackens, his temperature drops, his thoughts diminish, until he reaches dead center and stops."

Some would say a physicist is not supposed to write like that. In conversation, Lightman says one of his goals is to get the science students to the point where they are sensitized to the human side.

Perhaps, as a writer, he is an exception to the rule. He says he is simply continuing the traditions of Italo Calvino and Primo Levi, two men he has admired who practiced in the scientific and literary disciplines.

Of their writers' body of work, Lightman says he is particularly fond of Calvino's Invisible Cities, Levi's writings on Auschwitz and his The Periodic Table.

His parents instilled a sense of honesty in him, a quality that he says is extremely important in the discipline of literature.

"Honesty. I think I learned that from my parents, not only as an ethical question, but also for writing. If you're not honest as a writer, then the reader will smell it out."

As with so many dedicated writers of fiction, emotional truth is for Lightman a necessary component of honesty .

He captures emotional truth in the routines and conversations of two wealthy couples who discuss the quality of the cuisine consumed during their stay at a posh hotel in Switzerland. In their world, as Lightman suggests -- in one of the most dialogue-filled chapters of the book -- time passes, but little is actually accomplished.

"I chose that particular form because I wanted a great variety of forms in the dreams. It has the dialogue and characters that are closest to real people," he says.

Dialogue is often utilized as a means of communicating the essence, the scope of a narrative and giving characters dimension. Most of the chapters, however, are devoted to the observations of a fictitious, unknown narrator. The narrator classifies time according to its functions, characteristics, and purpose.

Elements of time can be disconnected. It can be cyclical. Circular. Have texture. Bend back on itself. And even condensed into one day in which people are born, live, and die.

The words spoken between Einstein and his friend Besso also add dimension to the figure who is often flattened by pop culture portraits.

"I decided on the dialogue for narrative purposes. I chose to include the interludes between Einstein and Besso for narrative purposes and to contrast the dream world of Einstein with his real world, his waking world," he says.

A person who assumes Einstein's Dreams is a look into the heralded physicist's mind and his research techniques will most likely be surprised that the novel is practically devoid of scientific explanations and notes on theories and experiments.

"I'm not interested in Einstein for himself. Einstein was just a device for the book," Lightman says, with emphasis on "himself" and "just a device." The statements are not as disrespectful as they may seem.

His strong Tennessee accent is noticeable as he speaks, often making lengthy pauses after being questioned.

He graduated from Princeton University and the California Institute of Technology. Although he spends time reading physics journals, he says he also has become a student of the written word.

Writers can leave an indelible imprint on an individual during the initial development phase, but whether or not their works can influence the writers' style is questionable, he says.

"I think it's very difficult to say how one writer influences the other. Their ideas, cadences, and language are swirling around in your head, often at a subconscious level," Lightman says.

In his lectures and discussions, he tries to impart to his students some of the wisdom he has accrued over the years as a student of both disciplines.

"With my science students, I try to give some of the human side of science, the history, and with the writing students, I have an orderly way of thinking about a writing subject," he says.

Lightman gives an interesting response when asked what the most challenging aspect of teaching and working in both disciplines is.

"They're both very interesting and absorbing. On a mundane, practical level, the most difficult aspect is trying to find the time," Lightman says, referring to his dual responsibilities as professor of physics and director of humanistic studies. He spent three months writing the work Einstein's Dreams and another six months revising it.

The end result is an excellent first novel that challenges the reader to think of time as more than just an indicator of what point in life a person has reached.

While writing his novel, he wanted peace, quiet, and no distractions, but Lightman does not seem too disturbed about the noise he has created.

FACULTY SAYS NUDE MODELS BAN A NEANDERTHAL ACT

by David Sikes

The Baylor Board of Regents recently rejected a proposal that would allow nude models in art classes, saying it would be inappropriate for a Christian university.

"The Baylor situation is ridiculous, repressive and makes no sense," Rachel Hecker, UH associate art professor, said. "It's Neanderthal thinking.

"The art world has become some senator's whipping boy, popularized by Jesse Helms," she said.

Richard Stout, UH associate art professor, agreed. "It seems a little comic, but it's their option. They're out of sync with the rest of the art world," said "I'm sorry that it's been politicized.

"I suspect that when you go to Baylor you understand that there are going to be certain restrictions on what is taught," he said.

Craig Butler, director of UH Baptist Student Union, said, "I think the trustees at Baylor did a wise thing because nude modeling is very unpopular with many Baptists.

"I don't know that's it's necessary to have nude models to draw from," he said.

Baylor art students will have to go elsewhere to complete their portfolio. UH students are in a similar situation for different reasons -- money.

"Models cost approximately $45 for a three-hour class, and we have them when we can afford them," Stout said. "I regret that we don't have more drawing classes."

UH's art school budget has been cut in so many areas that whether or not they have nude models has become a moot point, said Stout. Visiting professors and art supplies top his "want list," he added.

Thirty years ago you couldn't have graduated from art school without having painted the human form, Stout said.

Nude models are required mostly for an upper-level class called Life Drawing, and occasionally, for some advanced drawing classes, depending on the instructor.

According to Diana Small, UH Art Department office manager, Life Drawing hasn't been offered since last fall and probably won't be offered again for at least a year.

Stout said, "The demand is very high for this class. Students are always asking when it will be offered. There's enough demand for two life drawing classes each semester. It's absolutely essential."

"As people and art became more involved in the secular world and less involved in the spiritual world, people became more interested in anatomy and the physical world."

Stout said it is impossible to learn to draw the human form without models.

A sophomore painting major, Danna Harvey, said, "I feel that it's extremely important for artists to have access to life drawing classes with nude models."

"It's as important as it is for medical students to study anatomy."

Stout said, "An artist needs to feel comfortable with drawing the human form so they can understand where their subjective interpretation is in light of the reality."

Hecker said, "I think that life drawing is a viable and absolutely integral part of anyone's educational process as it relates to fine arts. There's something about figure drawing that you can't get from any other form of art." Harvey, whose daughter attended Baylor, said, "I would be very concerned if I were just entering UH. I would feel that the program is lacking. You really don't have a very thorough training if you haven't had some exposure to drawing nude models."

EX-COUGAR HAYES NOT SURPRISED

BEING SNUBBED FOR COACHING JOB

by Jason Ramirez

Elvin Hayes is not one of the six finalists up for the UH basketball head coaching job. But then again he is not surprised.

The former Cougar and NBA Hall-of-Famer, who has been interested in coaching the Cougars ever since the legendary Guy V. Lewis retired, is incensed that he wasn't given the opportunity to coach at UH.

"It really upsets me that they (UH officials) are interested in bringing in someone who is really not going to help this program," Hayes said.

Hayes was referring to the possibility that UH might be better off with a coach who is in some way linked to the university in terms of loyalty and pride.

"I feel like with a coach of that caliber, it would really help with the program's recruiting because of that loyalty," Hayes said.

However, Hayes' anger goes deeper.

"When I wanted the job after coach Lewis retired," he said, "the university told me that it wouldn't be a good idea because I didn't have any coaching experience.

"But then I found out later that they had hired a golf coach (Keith Fergus) who didn't have any golf coaching experience. So what are the criteria? Do you have to not be a member of some African-American group or something?"

Hayes says that he hopes that the "racial issue" isn't involved in the coaching decision-making process because the black athletes, such as himself, has done so much for the success of the university.

During his career at Houston, Hayes averaged more than 31 points and 17 rebounds a game on his way to earning Consensus All-America honors during his junior and senior seasons of 1967 and 1968.

But many college basketball fans remember Hayes best for the Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) rivalry established between UCLA and Houston during the late sixties, in which the two teams met in the NCAA Final Four during both '67 and '68.

"I feel like if the university hired a big name coach who is either a Hall-of-Famer or was a big college star," Hayes said, "many of the top high school recruits would want to come play for a coach of those standards just because of what he was in the past.

"I have always had that concern for a basketball program which was once one of the tops in the country," Hayes said. "And I just hate to hear how the program is talked about in the past tense all the time. 'Houston was this and they were that.' That hurts me. This program needs to be great again."

As far as how he thinks he would succeed as head coach of the Cougars, Hayes said a team's success is greatly dependent upon the players' ability to perform.

"Though I have no coaching experience," he said, "I think that if you had great players who can play, the coaching would all come naturally. But the only way this school is going to get great players is if they take a different approach than what they are taking now."

QB KLINGLER IMPRESSIVE

by Jason Ramirez

John Jenkins has a lot to smile about these days.

After a scrimmage evaluation Monday afternoon, the Cougars football coach was ecstatic about how the entire event went.

"We really looked sharp," he said. "I was especially impressed with the defense's ability to settle into the scrimmage after their slow start. They just got better and better as the afternoon progressed."

The simulated game was a bit different from a regular scrimmage. Each unit, being either offense or defense, is exposed to different defensive and offensive sets that the team can look forward to facing next season against the likes of such powerhouses as Southern Cal, Michigan and Texas A&M.

Sophomore Jimmy Klingler, next year's starting quarterback, was unstoppable, completing 44-of-64 passes for 793 yards, 10 touchdowns and no interceptions.

"Jimmy finished last season with a bang, and he hasn't missed a beat," Jenkins said. "Going into this season we are going to have to keep him focused and concentrated because we really need him to have a big year for us."

This move will probably move last season's opening day starter, Donald Douglas, to defensive back where Jenkins and the Cougars can look forward to his tremendous speed and prevent it from going to waste.

"Since we are not going to have a rotation next year, we need to keep Donald in the lineup because his speed can really be a factor," Jenkins said.

But in the Run-and-Shoot, receivers are the name of the game. And Jenkins can be no prouder to have returners Ron Peters and Keith Jack on his squad.

"As a whole, they were probably the most impressive bunch on the field," Jenkins said.

"They were just as quick and physical as they had been all last season.

"I am also a great deal excited about our new recruits at receiver that we have as well," Jenkins added. "Isaac Bell runs a 10.3 and has won every race he has run in track. Joey Mouton is another promising prospect along with Damion Johnson, who is a lot like Ron Peters in that he is very tall and physical."

On the other side of the ball Jenkins mentions that they are trying a number of formations on defense to handle the loss of '92 standouts Nigel Ventress and Eric Blount.

"We have been running a variety of different styles on defense in order to see what and where our chemistry is," he said.

In 1993, chemistry will need to be the key if the Cougars hope to get back to their winning form which they possessed in 1990 when Houston went 10-1 and ended up No. 12 in the nation.

"I feel like if we can get out of the gate early against some of these top teams, then we should be okay and may be beat some of them," Jenkins said.

And Jenkins will be able to keep his smile up all year long.

Tulsa's Tubby Smith leads the pack of candidates seeking the basketball head coaching position at University of Houston. A new coach will either be named today or Thursday, Interim Athletic Director Billy McGillis said earlier this week. After reviewing applications from more than 50 candidates, the field has been narrowed down to four, since Miami of Ohio's Joby Wright reportedly accepted the coaching position at Wyoming. University of Houston basketball assisitants Alvin Brooks and Tommy Jones, as well as former Cougar players Reid Gettys and George Walker, have also applied for the job.

AD CANDIDIATE SEES GREAT POTENTIAL IN UH

The Georgia Tech athletic program is farther along than Houston's in the quest to become a national power. But athletic director candidate Bill Carr says UH has all the necessary resources to emulate the Yellow Jackets' program.

"I see parallels between where the University of Houston is now and where Georgia Tech was back around 1980," said Carr, the president of Sports Resources, Inc. of Charlotte, N.C., an executive search firm for college athletics

"The new athletic director came in and took a university that had a good tradition, was a fine academic institution and was located in a major urban setting and connected to the resources implicit in that."

"Georgia Tech is a power program at this point, and I think that opportunity exists here now," Carr said.

Carr is one of four candidates seeking to replace former Houston AD Rudy Davalos who left for the University of New Mexico in November.

Carr, 47, graduated from Florida in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in Spanish and a master's in educational administration in 1971. He later held the AD post at Florida from 1979-86.

His tenure as Ad, though, was not without excitement.

In 1984, an investigation into the Florida football program implicated head coach Charley Pell and some of his assistant coaches in recruiting violations and providing extra benefits to players. Pell, who had been at Florida since 1979, was fired, and the school was put under the NCAA sanction knife and placed on probation.

Carr, who was not implicated in the fiasco, said he does not believe his reputation was affected.

"The fact that I was there certainly involved me, he said. "The severity of the sanctions and the timing were bad. The University of Florida came along when the NCAA was being criticized for being too lenient, and Florida was, I think overly penalized.

"I left the university of my own volition because...it was time for a new person to come in. I surprised a lot of people by leaving. (The episode) has given me a better understanding of how to contend with any groups who might want to move the program into a situation of non-compliance. We'll operate within those parameters. There will be no reasons to doubt our sincerity."

Carr admits he is not familiar with the Houston program, but he sees the potential in it.

"I can't exactly say what the goals are now because I'm not informed well enough," Carr said. "At this point, the questions are more important than the answers because the questions provide the framework for the proper plan ultimately. The answers come in that process."

Carr's plan includes a six-month period of gathering and analyzing data, three months of strategic planning to "determine the nature and direction of the athletics program" and three months to construct a five-year master plan that will be updated quarterly.

"The key to UH athletics in the revenue sports area is defining our market and what our reasonable goals for success," Carr said. "There are close to four million people in Houston. We don't need four million people at the football games, but we need to get a certain number."

"I don't know what that number is, but we'd like to have more and we need to go about setting strategies to accomplish that without spending huge amounts of dollars."

Another key to UH's success, Carr said, is to directly involve the student-athletes.

"When the athletic director speaks about the justification for intercollegiate athletics, that's an obvious bias," Carr said. "But when the student-athletes articulate that rationale, I think it has more credence because it has a student talking to a fellow student.

"We would make every effort to have our student-athletes carrying the message, `When you talk about athletics, you're talking about me. I'm a student here and I'm trying to prepare for my future.'

FRAT LEAVES LID UP FOR CHARITABLE DONATIONS

by Stephen Stelmak

UH fraternity Delta Upsilon is raising money for the Stevens and Pruett Children's Foundation by sitting on the john.

Mike Sachs said, "frats aren't all about getting drunk, about getting in trouble-they're about helping people."

To raise money, volunteers have been sitting outside the UC hours on a toilet. The event, which started on Monday, has volunteers signed up to sit for 101 hours - on one-hour shifts.

The toilet is mounted on wheels and is often pushed around for the entertainment of occasional visiting celebrities or bored fraternity members sitting on the toilet in the wee hours of the night.

Lock Stevenhousen from 101KLOL plans to show up and take his turn at the commode this morning between 7:00-7:30 a.m.

Participants like Kristin Kelly keep themselves amused by listening to music, dancing, sitting down (of course), watching people and acting goofy.

The event will continue until 1 p.m. Friday.

SURVIVING ABROAD

by Rhonda Compton

Each year, UH students travel to Europe in the Study Abroad Program. For many students, staying over and saving money can be a trick in itself.

Trains

Rail Europe and BritRail both offer special year-round rates for travelers under 25 years old. With a rail pass you can travel by train through 17 countries. BritRail makes stops in cities throughout the United Kingdom.

The cost a Rail Eurpoe "Youth Flexipass" ranges from $220 for five days of travel in a two months period to $698 for two months of consecutive travel. BritRail Youth Passes begin at $155 for any four days in an eight-day period.

Calude Monte of Rail Europe said European countries are very close to one another, so train is the main mode of transportation. Riders can often go from one country to another in five hours.

Nancy Marino, UH professor of Spanish, said for students who stay over, the best way to go is the rail pass, which can be bought for the amount of time you want to travel.

Patrice Caux, UH instructor of French, said there are many different passes that vary in price, depending where and how long you want to stay. Some students hitch-hike, which is considered safe in Europe. The problem with this is simply finding an available driver.

Airlines

Peggy Mahoney, spokeswoman for Continental Airlines, said traveling in the winter is near the top of the list of money-savers. This is a low travel time, so airlines extend sales. All of the traditional holidays are expensive because there is more demand.

Lodging

Caux said many students stay at hostels which are very inexpensive. However, you are expected to clean up after yourself and are expected to have certain responsibilities. A staff of cooks employs students to clean a cafeteria-style dining room, buss tables, do the dishes and sweep. The rooms have bunk beds and house six to eight people per room.

Paula Murphy, a UH student who has studied abroad, said hostels are specifically designed for students. They offer only the bare necessities, she added.

Food

Caux said the cheapest way to eat is to go to the super market or the outdoor market in town nad buy canned pate, bread, cheese or fruit. There is a market in every town, he said.

Mary Kay Hartley, of the Italian Tourism Board, said food is always cheaper when you eat it standing, or dine at the little bakeries and cafes that dot Italian cities. Cafes often have tables, but they charge more for them.

Marino said restaraunts charge for seating because it costs them money to hire a waiter. When you order you are usually ordering or paying the person who owns the restaraunt. The person behind the bar is usually the owner.

Murphy said Spain features tapas, which are small snacks like calamari, vegetables or meats in small dishes. Sometimes they're free; sometimes not, she said.

Murphy said she and her friends would go "Tapas Hopping" from restaurant to restaurant, and the food was good as a light snack before mealtime.

Travel Books

Marino advised students to think about what they want to do before they go. She recommends buying a book on traveling, or look at little hotels and think about the best rate. Nothing is worse than getting off the train with luggage and a backpack and not knowing where a hotel is, she added.

Money

Students should not cash all their money at once because it could get stolen, Murphy said, and the currency rate changes daily. She said they should wait for the best time to exchange money.

Murphy said students should think about what they're doing before they buy something. Treat yourself, she said, but don't go overboard.

NEWS BRIEFS

Gloria Steinam

Gloria Steinam, perhaps America's best known feminist, will appear At Brazos Bookstore to sign copies of her latest book, Revolution from Within: A book of self-esteem, on April 16 from 6:30-8:30p.m.

Revolution from Within has sold more than 400,000 copies in hardcover and spent 34 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list.

A frequent spokesperson on issues of equality, Steinam is currently an editorial assistant and writer for Ms. magazine, the national feminist bi-monthly that she co-founded in 1972.

Memorial Service

The annual campus-wide memorial service remembering students, faculty, staff, and alumni who have died in the past year will be held April 29 in the AD Bruce Religion Center Chapel.

Names of the deceased are read along with a brief statement of their university affiliation. The service is at noon.

Travel Plans

The Thomas Cook travel agency will be leaving the university at the end of April. There has been no decision made as to whether or not a different travel agency will be moving into the University Center.

After May 1, the only travel agency authorized to do business for UH will be Atlas Travel, Inc. Fore more information, call Marcia Gerhardt at 743-5888.

Benefit

A benefit for Officer Daniel Vaughn, the policeman wounded when he was shot in the face by a gunman at a local police station, will be held Friday at Savages. The benefit, sponsored by Savages, HPD, Kraft, and Quality Beverage, will have live music and food and drink specials. For more information, contact Savages at 942-0580.

Video Profs

Two UH professors will be featured in an eight part PBS series airing this month. Out of the Past will run saturdays at 2 p.m., beginning this week. UH anthropology professors Rebecca Storey and Randolph Widmer are interviewed in seven of the eight segments of the program.

They share their expertise from archaelogical digs at Copan, Honduras and Teotihuacan, Mexico. Storey and Widmer explain the secrets of analyzing skeletons to learn the age and sex of individuals, as well as how researchers determine the social structures, lifestyles, and cultures of the cities they are unearthing.

In one segment when anthropologists found more female than male skeletons at a dig, they came to a conclusion that they were dealing with a community in which men had multiple wives.

Another discussion centers on how researchers learn about long-ago lifestyles by unearthing households in an apartment compound.