VIDEOS MAY PROMPT SEX CRIMES

by Tammy Gamble

Violence depicted in rock-music videos may indirectly contribute to sexual assault cases and negative attitudes about women in today's society, said Caryn Ross, education coordinator for the Houston Area Women's Center.

"Many videos desensitize viewers toward violence and make people think of women as sex objects. Many viewers take the violence for granted," Ross said.

The images of women in rock videos will be up for discussion from 7-9 p.m. Thursday at Rice University Media Center.

The four-person panel discussion will follow the viewing of "Dreamworlds: Desire, Sex and Power in Videos" by University of Massachusetts Communication Professor Sut Jhally. Panel participants include Karen Stout, UH social work assistant professor; Beth Olson, UH communications professor; Jeff Basen-Engquist, a private therapist; and Diane Ellerbe, information specialist at HAWC.

"The presentation shows rock videos that depict women wanting to be watched as sexual objects," Ellerbe said.

During the video, Jhally replaces the original music with another type of music, so viewers are more aware of the video. Most people do not realize how much sexuality and violence is directed toward women in the videos because they pay more attention to the music, Ross said.

"The primary role of the women in the videos is as a dancer or decoration. They don't provide much more than this," Ross said.

Jhally compared rock videos to the rape scene in the movie <I>The Accused<P>, Ross said.

"Like the music videos, the visual impact to people's attitudes toward violence is the same as in the movie," she said.

Stout said, "It's easier to use violence against someone if you see them only as a sexual object instead of as a whole person."

The program is sponsored by Students Organized Against Rape, the HAWC Community Education Committee and Rice University's Health Education office. The groups hope participants will share their feelings on whether these videos are harmful to society, Ross said.

Ellerbe said, "Most women do not want to be watched all the time like the videos portray."

If participants believe the videos are harmful, Ross said, the women's center wants them to help pinpoint why there is so much violence in videos and society.

HAWC, which handles sexual assault cases and domestic violence, has been studying Jhally's presentation by getting feedback from volunteers who have watched the video. The forum will be the first in a series of quarterly seminars the center hopes to make available to the public.

*******************************************************

FORMER IOWA STATE AD AIMS FOR UH POSITION

A true marksman centers his sights on the middle of the target, takes a deep breath, holds it and lets the arrow fly.

The steel tip pierces the bulls eye, claiming victory for the sure-shooting archer.

At Iowa State University, Athletic Director Max Urick, 54, is that archer. He uses a bulls eye theory in his approach to the Cyclones' athletic program.

Now, Urick wants to bring his theory to Houston as its new AD.

Houston's AD job opened when Rudy Davalos took the same position with New Mexico on Nov. 17. Urick is the fourth and final candidate to come to campus for interviews.

"My life will revolve around the student-athletes," said Urick, who has been the athletic director at ISU the past 10 years. "That's where it all begins.

"If we do a good job with the student-athletes of making sure they have the opportunity to receive a first-class education, that they are able to enjoy aspects of the college life, have success as young men and women in sports, learn some rules and lessons about dealing with adversity and success, then there is some real satisfaction with that."

The theory goes that the student-athlete is at the center of the target, or the bulls eye, with three outer rings holding groups affected by the student-athlete.

The closest ring in this three-dimensional, spherical target contains students and the university community. Alumni and friends are in the second ring and the general public completes the third.

Outside energies affecting the bulls eye, such as ticket offices, strength and conditioning programs and academic services, are in the form of arrows, and "it is my job that all those different arrows are pointed towards the bulls eye," Urick said.

Taking care of the bulls eye will, in turn, take care of the other rings, he added.

The theory's success at Iowa State has been more attitudinal than substantive, Urick said. But some real successes do exist, including the graduation rate among athletes receiving financial aid.

Since the 1983-84 school year at Iowa State, the 43 percent graduation rate among financially aided first-year athletes has been increasing steadily to 67 percent in 1986-87, which for the first time was higher than the overall campus graduation rate of 64 percent.

Urick, who excelled in football, wrestling and lacrosse at Ohio Wesleyan, said the bulls eye theory is a part of him and would be implemented if he is announced AD, but that it won't be able to do the job on its own.

"The athletic department has an attitude that we need you out there," Urick said. "We're almost a service department of the university. People are our clients, our patrons and our customers. We need them and we have to act like it.

"It's a kind of mindset, and I hope it would kick in early. That's something that I'm about. You can talk to Max. He may not be able to solve your problem, but he'll listen to you talk to him."

And open communication is what Urick wants to be a key facet of his department.

"The athletic director and coaches have to be accessible to the student body, and if it's not natural, then we have to set up an environment where that becomes possible," he said. The AD has to reach out and touch someone, and I think it starts with the student body.

"You have to let the students know that they are very important to the successes of the athletic department."

But these days, the bottom line is the true indicator of how successful a university athletic program is, and Urick, whose Iowa State program has established a reserve fund in excess of $500,000, said he understands that as well as anyone.

"I've been told (UH) is a financially stressed department," Urick said. "There needs to be a long-term approach to solving financial dilemmas of any university department.

"At Iowa State, inflation over the last 12 years has been about 12 percent. Well, our budget is about $11 million and that means we have to come up with $700,000 every year just to do things as we've done it in the past. Fortunately, we've been able to do that and finish in the black."

Urick said it will take about six months for him to know what Houston's needs are and find the methods necessary to accomplish those needs, but he added he is optimistic about Houston's potential.

"My impression is that UH has some good people," Urick said. "You have a strong tradition with which to build on and you build those around people, around athletes, around coaches."

It is assured that Urick will not return to his AD duties at Iowa State if he does not get the Houston job. The university, which has begun its own AD search, did not renew his contract.

UH MAY LOSE $11M

UH could lose up to $11 million dollars in state funding.

Both the Texas House of Representatives and the Senate have been reviewing bills that could cost the university more money in appropriations than the expenses of an entire college.

"We are not chicken feeding here. This is a lot of money. The combined salaries of all the professors of business and education equals $10 million," said Wendy Adair, vice-president of media relations.

"Eleven million dollars is one and a half times the total cost of summer school," she said.

The cuts stem from Committee Substitute Senate Bill 5, Committee Substitute House Bill 650 and Senate Doctoral Cap Bill 380.

The bills include non-funding of the 3 percent raise, given as a "gift" last January from the state to all of its employees, performance funding, a cut in UH's Optional Retirement Program and less funding for doctoral degree hours.

The doctoral cap bill would cut funding for doctoral hours, cutting $4.5 million from UH during the next four years.

"We report to the state how many credit hours are being taken in doctoral programs and then they formulate what the faculty salary is," said Mary Rubright, executive director for planning and budgets.

Students would be allowed to finish their degrees in 130 hours in 1994, decreasing to 120 hours in 1995, 110 in 1996 and capping at 100 hours in 1997. Hours under 100 will not get formula funding from the state.

In January the state gave all of its employees a 3 percent raise. The raise, according to a representative from Texas Comptroller John Sharp, was a "late, well-deserved Christmas gift."

According to CSSB 5, the "well deserved gift" will now have to be provided by each individual institution. The required provision of the raise will cost UH $2.4 million.

The Optional Retirement Program that is under a cut review offers professors a number of health insurance programs to choose from that are partly funded by the state. The state originally offered 8.5 percent of the funding and now provides 7.31 percent for each university.

"Right now, the senate bill wants to cut ORP funding to 6 percent. The last legislative session brought it down to 7.31 percent. As it is, the university gives $800,000 per year to the program," said Associate Vice President for Planning Skip Szilagyi. "If this bill passes through both the house and senate, we will have to give an additional $800,000.

"If we don't have ORP it will be harder to keep and recruit good faculty," he said.

Performance-based funding temporarily holds part of a universities budget until the school lives up to particular standards. One of these standards is a higher graduation rate in a shorter time. "The requirements are unrealistic for a school like UH. The plans were not made considering each individual school. The average UH student is 27, they have jobs and some have families -- it takes them longer to graduate," said former Students' Association President Russell Hruska.

The senate bill wants to use performance funding as an incentive for extra money to those who could live up to standards, whereas the house wants to implement it as a deduction.

The school could lose up to $5 million if performance funding was not used as an incentive, but as a requirement.

The house bill has passed out of the House Appropriations Committee and now is being debated on the floor. Once it is passed, both the senate bill and the house bill will go to a conference committee and the final joint bill will be voted on again by both chambers. The final house vote is expected to be out by the end of this week.

BUDGET AXE FALLS ON SUMMER COURSES

by Meagan McGovern

At priority registration today and Tuesday, many students will sign up for classes that won't exist by the time June rolls around.

As a result of state budget cutbacks, each college was asked to return part of its budget for the 1992-93 fiscal year. In most cases, this means cutting summer school classes already scheduled.

Colleges won't decide which courses will be cut until late next week, leaving students in the lurch until after priority registration.

The College of Engineering has to return $147,000, said Dean of Engineering Roger Eichhorn. "It isn't necessary to get the money from our instruction budget," he said, "but by this time in the year, that's all that's left."

A total of $5 million will be returned from the budgets of UH departments. Of that, $1.6 million will come from individual colleges.

The money will go into an account in Austin and will be used next year to help offset an expected $10 million state budget cut to UH.

Universities can carry funds over from one year to the next because of a recent legislative bill, and the money will help spread the cuts over a longer period of time, rather than all at once, said Wendy Adair, vice-president of media relations.

"We're collecting the money to save until next year for the large cut," said Eichhorn. "The big cut (from the legislature) will be equivalent to cutting the entire college of engineering."

Most colleges don't know yet where the money they have to return will come from. The College of Social Sciences is one of the colleges that will raise the funds by cutting summer school classes, said Joe Carbonari, the associate dean for academics in the college.

"It will have to impact summer school in some way," he said. "That's the only part of the budget that's left. Now all we can do is try to do as little damage as possible."

The priorities when deciding what classes to keep will be "serving our students first," said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice-president for planning.

"First, we make sure that courses that seniors need to graduate will be offered. Second on our priority list are those courses that have high student interest, as reflected by high enrollment," he said.

The last priority, he added, is "everything else. Electives, fun classes, anything students don't absolutely need."

One way students can help the administration decide which classes to keep is to priority register for summer school today and Tuesday, said Szilagyi. "When we know what classes are filling up, it will send us a message that will help us a lot," he said.

The College of Architecture, facing the challenge of deciding where to cut, has to return $26,000, said Dean Robert Timme.

"We're trying to be really creative because we don't want to cut classes. We're going to look at where it's possible to find money. We may cut back on having architecture critics visit campus, we may raise money from outside sources," he said.

One option the school has is to have the administrative faculty, like Timme himself, teach classes since they are on administrative salary and wouldn't be paid for teaching.

Other colleges, like Hotel and Restaurant Management and Optometry, aren't going to focus on cutting classes, but will try to find the money in other places.

HRM, because of the nature of the classes, hires outside professionals to teach some classes. "Not as many guest lecturers will be asked to return," said Dean Hugh Walker, who was asked to return $40,000 from the HRM budget.

"It's not a humongous problem. We'll muddle through it somehow," he said.

Optometry has a different problem -- the college can't cancel summer classes. Because optometry students are on a year-round, professional program, "There's no chance to reduce summer school," Dean Jerald Strickland said. "We'll find the money somewhere else. We all have to share the grief."

Szilagyi said classes with small enrollment, which would not be considered cost-effective, would probably be the first to be cut.

Students should remember, said Szilagyi, that summer school "has never been totally comprehensive." The classes offered have never been intended to fulfill all requirements, he said.

MATLIN AND SWEENEY PLAY IT BY EAR

by Deborah Hensel

<I>Hear No Evil <P> is the newest suspense thriller from Twentieth Century Fox, starring Martin Sheen as a corrupt police lieutenant and Marlee Matlin as a deaf personal trainer.

Matlin, who won a Best Actress Oscar in 1987 at age 21 for her role in <I>Children of a Lesser God,<P> also stars in NBC-TV's <I>Reasonable Doubts<P> and has built a fairly successful acting career in spite of a double handicap.

Not only are there pitifully few good role for women in Hollywood, there are virtually none for deaf actresses. So, Matlin took matters into her own hands and proposed this project to director Robert Greenwald.

The screenplay by R.M. Badat and Kathleen Rowell is about a strong and independent deaf woman who outwits multiple assailants with her mastery of silence and her intuitive powers. She's got something valuable and she doesn't even know she has it.

For the most part, Matlin commands the same kind of empathy the late Audre Hepburn drew from the audience in <I>Wait Until Dark<P>, a 60's film about a woman in a similar predicament.

Unfortunately, there are a number of major gaffes in <I>Hear No Evil <P> that you'd have to be blind not to catch -- the kind you hate to notice in an otherwise riveting film.

How was it the phone line lit up if the cord had been cut? What happened to the cop who had them under surveillance? Call me picky, but inattention to details like these can really kick a hole in the believability of the plot.

And don't say I didn't warn you: the "surprise" twist in this story is even cheesier than the one in <I>The Crying Game<P>.

Rising star D.B. Sweeney plays Matlin's sensitive and sexy love interest, and John McGinley co-stars as the unreliable investigative journalist who brings them together in a dangerous situation.

ASSISTANT BROOKS NAMED HEAD COACH,

PROMISES NEW ERA IN HOUSTON HOOPS

After two weeks of carefully screening a handful of candidates, the UH Athletic Department named Alvin Brooks head basketball coach.

Brooks was signed to a three-year contract for an undisclosed amount of money. The details of his contract are still being negotiated.

"Make it Reggie White numbers," Brooks joked with interim athletic director Bill McGillis, referring to the huge contract given to the NFL free agent.

Although the last two weeks have been tedious for Brooks, the payoff is immense.

"This is beyond a dream coming true," Brooks said. "When I was playing basketball at Wheatley High School, I would sit in Hofheinz and say, 'what if?' I never imagined that I would be following coaches like Pat Foster and Guy Lewis."

Alvin Brooks may be following Pat Foster in the coaching order, but he has plans of his own for the team, off and on the court.

"This is a new era for Cougar basketball. I will be taking a very aggressive approach," Brooks said. "My number-one priority will be to improve our graduation rate and then put ourselves in a position to consistently compete in the NCAA championships."

Brooks said academics would be part of his job.

"If a player doesn't make it in the classroom, then he won't play for me," Brooks said. "I will take full responsibility for the academics."

During the seven years that Pat Foster coached, only five of his players graduated, counting guard Darrell Grayson, who will graduate in the spring.

A necessary element for the coaching position was someone who would have a good repertoire with the team.

"I'm happy an assistant got chosen," said center Rafael Carrasco. "It makes the transition easier for the seniors and the new recruiting class. Brooks brings vitality and emotion to the team. He can get the team excited."

Throughout the search, interim athletic director Bill McGillis stressed he was looking for the person who would be good not only for the basketball program, but for the school as well.

"He is the best role model around," McGillis said. "The fact that he is from Houston is important. He can provide leadership and discipline to the team.

"We need a person of integrity to fill the position," McGillis said. "We need someone who has the ability to excite."

If excitement is what fans are looking for, they should not be disappointed with what is promised for the 1993-94 Cougar squad.

"My philosophy does not mirror Foster's," Brooks said. He said his team will be exciting to watch; they will play defense, press the whole game and not play half-court.

"Basketball will be the most exciting sport in Houston, no offense, (football) coach (John) Jenkins," Brooks said at the press conference in the UH Hilton. Jenkins was present at the affair.

The basketball staff might get a face lift, with the possible addition of former Cougar star Otis Birdsong.

"I was really hoping Brooks would get it," Birdsong said. "I'm sure he will do a tremendous job. I'm going to sit down with him and see what direction he wants to take."

The Cougars will rely on Brooks' Houston connections to aid in recruiting talent from around the city.

"Being a product of HISD I think we can get the best players. We need to create a strong recruiting base in Houston," Brooks said.

Brooks served as an assistant coach for 12 years under Pat Foster at both UH and Lamar University, his alma mater. He played two seasons for the Cardinals and led them to two NCAA Tournament berths.

BROOKS MAKES

RECRUITING PRIORITY

Houston basketball coach Alvin Brooks is running against the clock to recruit players to play for the Cougars next season.

The recruiting deadline is Wednesday, and the Cougars lost precious time during the search for a new coach.

Brooks said he wants to recruit heavily in the Houston area.

"We can get players from the Houston area," Brooks said. "We will address that starting today."

One Houston-area recruit who will play for the Cougars next season is guard Tim Moore from Lee Junior College.

"I think (Brooks' hiring) will help recruiting," said Moore, who played at Milby High School. "Brooks has a lot of connections (in the community)."

Houston signed high school seniors Curly Johnson, 6-6, and Roderick Griggs, 6-10, in November. The Cougars also signed Angel Castiblanque, 7-0, from Alvin Junior College.

NEWS BRIEFS

Sexual assault forum

The report of the Sexual Assault Task Force will be announced to the university community during a forum in the World Affairs Lounge today.

UH President James Pickering and Dr. Cynthia Freeland, associate professor of philosophy and chairwoman of the Sexual Assault Task Force, will speak at the forum called "Sexual Assault in Higher Education."

The forum begins at noon.

Theatre beyond words

Director Chuck Hudson, formerly of La Compagnie de Mimi-Marcel Marceau, and currently a professor at the School of Theatre, presents an evening of Contemporary European Mimedrama.

The Festivals Mime Company is putting on "The Corporal Intelligence" at UH-Clearlake's Bayou Theatre, April 23 at 8 p.m.

For ticket information call 283-2560.