SA SUPPORTS PICKERING

The largest amount of senators in at least eight sessions, most of whom had to get sworn in, turned out for the first meeting of the 30th Students' Association administration.

Both new and old senators showed strong support for UH President James Pickering as a resolution was introduced to favor his appointment and defer a national search for UH president to a later date.

The legislation, which began as an SA resolution but passed with only one abstention as a senate resolution, stated that while UH is in such a severe financial situation and under scrutiny in Austin, the faculty and students need continuity in leadership.

"We are in a severe financial crisis. You don't take away a leader in the middle of crisis. Pickering is doing well in Austin. A new leader would not be fully aware of all the issues. We don't want Pickering always looking over his back during this time," said Senator Coy Wheeler, director of the Internal Affairs Committee.

The other opposition to the search is a waste of funds. The resolution states that the cost of a national search would use up funds that could be better used during the reshaping process.

"We are not saying we are totally against a national search, but let's put it off for now. Dr. Pickering is doing well, but if in two years the problems are still as bad, than hell yeah let's have a national search," said Rhodes.

A memo that was sent to Pickering offering alternatives to cutting summer school classes was read to the senate and will be proposed as a resolution at the next meeting.

Suggestions included combining classes that were less than 60 percent full, cutting lower-level classes that are offered in the fall and increasing enrollment in auditorium classes in order to lessen the amount of those classes offered.

The letter, which was written by Rhodes, also offered suggestions that would lessen the effects on students of cut classes. Rhodes suggested that students be allowed to take optional classes instead of having to take the required ones that have been cut. The memo also suggested that students be allowed to graduate if they are three classes short due to classes cut because of the fiscal crisis. Students entering graduate school would have a note on their transcripts explaining the absence of these classes and would be required to take them while in grad school.

During the meeting, new senators were also sworn in. Besides the five senior representatives, new senators swore under oath to preserve the constitution of SA and to serve the student community to the best of their ability.

After 30 senators were initiated, Mitch Rhodes, the former student regent, was appointed by the president to be director of external affairs, Angie Milner was appointed to be the director of public relations and after much discussion Derrick Mitchell was appointed to be director of personnel.

Deliberations over the appointment of director of personnel, which used to belong to President Jason Fuller, was due to his responsibility for hiring senators for review committees and appointing students to committees such as Undergraduate Planning and Policy Committee and Student Fees Allocating Committee.

In the last four meetings of the 29th administration, quorum was close to not being met. In the second to last meeting after President Pickering spoke, a call to order had to be voted on because of a lack of senators.

"The first meeting of the administration does not determine if the senators will stick. Last year we had the same high turn out at the first meeting. It is the second meeting that will tell," said Quynh Thai, senate secretary.

*******************************************************

BREAST CANCER

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

Every 11 minutes, a woman dies of breast cancer -- the leading killer of women aged 35 to 54.

In seven years, 30 percent of all women will be in this age group. This disease still has no cure today. Early detection is the best hope for survival.

As part of Zeta Tau Alpha's national April Fool's Day project, <I>Don't Be A Fool, Do Breast Self-Examinations,<P> Houston area ZTA chapters spent a weekend reaching out to the community raising breast cancer awareness.

"We wanted to get involved with women's issues and breast cancer is a big issue," said Jan McCarthy, district president for ZTA.

Houston-area ZTA chapters distributed 25,000 shower-proof cards to grocery stores, shopping malls, pharmacies and clinics.

The cards illustrate how to complete breast self-examination. "We tried to distribute them in places where there would be a large audience," McCarthy said.

Houston-area chapters joined all ZTA's in the project. Sorority members distributed more than one million shower-proof cards across the nation.

"We are proud to launch this project in support of our national philanthropy, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. It is our goal to educate as many people as possible about the dangers of breast cancer," said ZTA National President Mary Margaret McDonald.

ZTA hosted a fund walk for the Komen Foundation at the Galleria on Zeta day, March 26. "The walk was a success," McCarthy said. "There were about 60 participants. We raised over $200."

"Because early detection is crucial to survival, we intend to empower women with a tool which could save their lives," McDonald said.

Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer found among women. It is very rare in men, although it may occur. The cause of breast cancer is unknown, but certain inherited and lifestyle factors may increase the risk.

Women over 40 years of age, or who have a family or personal history of the disease, or who have an early menstrual cycle or late menopause may have a greater-than-average risk of getting breast cancer.

"Women who have never given birth or gave birth at the age of 30 or older are also at risk of getting breast cancer" said Shirley Crozier, a member of the American Cancer Society. "A high fat diet can also encourage breast cancer."

Women should be aware of the symptoms for breast cancer. Some include a lump or mass in either breast, swelling, change of skin coloring (redness or dimpling) and/or sudden withdrawal of a nipple.

"Nipple discharge of a milky, clear or bloody fluid is also a common symptom," said Carol Brush, an M.D. Anderson nurse. "Another symptom is what we call <I>peau d'orange<P>, where the skin of the breast resembles an orange peel.

Every woman is encouraged to do breast self-examination from the moment they begin their first menstrual cycle, Brush said. She mentioned the case of a 15-year-old who was treated for breast cancer at M.D. Anderson.

Instructions for breast self-examinations can be obtained at the UH Health Clinic.

Four standard treatments for breast cancer are radiotherapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy and surgery, Brush said

Surgery is the most common treatment for breast cancer. The tumor is removed, along with all or part of the breast.

Chemotherapy is a treatment with anti-cancer drugs. Sometimes chemotherapy is given before surgery to shrink the tumor and to kill any cancer cells that may have spread, said Crozier.

Radiotherapy, or radiation therapy, destroys cancer cells using radiation to treat the affected part of the body, she said.

Some breast cancer cells need certain hormones to grow. Hormone therapy uses drugs that will block cancerous cells from obtaining the hormones needed for growth, Crozier said.

Treatment for breast cancer usually depends on the stages of the disease, the location of the tumor and the health of the individual, Brush said. All tumors are different in every patient, she said.

Mammography, a low-dose breast X-ray, can find cancers too small to be felt by hand. Women between the ages of 40 to 49 are recommended to have a mammography every one to two years and every year after for women 50 years and older.

"The only thing any woman can do to help prevent breast cancer is to maintain a low-fat diet, exercise regularly and avoid smoking and drinking," Crozier said.

YATES STUDENT CHARGED IN CARJACKING AFTER UH STUDENT CALLS POLICE

A juvenile was arrested and charged with robbery Wednesday in relation to an April 6 car-jacking in parking lot 19A near the Law Center.

The 16-year-old Yates high school student was also charged with evading arrest.

UHPD received a call from a UH student at 5:35 p.m. saying the stolen Mitsubishi Eclipse was leaving the parking lot of a Scott Street food store.

"He said he was at the store and was looking at the vehicle that was stolen in the carjacking," UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said. "He said it was heading north down Scott as he was on the phone, and that it turned left on Blodgett towards TSU."

UHPD responded and followed the car until it stopped in a driveway at the 13400 block of Wentworth.

"The suspect then spotted us and ran out of the car and left (the car) running," Durant said. "He went between two houses."

Also on the scene was Cpl. Rogelio Treviño, who gave chase while Durant turned off, searched and secured the vehicle.

After cutting through back yards, the young man was spotted running across Wichita Street, where he was seen entering the garage of an abandoned house, police said.

Because Treviño did not have a flashlight, he could not search the garage immediately, but was eventually assisted by TSU police.

The suspect was found hiding on the floor in the garage at 3326 Wichita St.

However, with the loud yellow and beige pants, white T-shirt and white tennis shoes, it was difficult not to notice the young man, Durant said.

The youth was subsequently arrested and charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. That charge, however, was dropped and increased to robbery, in addition to the evasion charge.

The youth was positively identified by a witness out of a photo line-up and was sent to the Harris County Juvenile Probation Department, where his case will be handled, Durant said. "There is still one suspect at large," he added.

GLORIA STEINEM TO DISCUSS, SIGN SELF-ESTEEM BESTSELLER

by Connie Barrera

Gloria Steinem, perhaps America's best known feminist, will speak about her latest book, <I>REVOLUTION FROM WITHIN: A Book of Self-Esteem,<P> at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Brazos Bookstore.

Steinem's visit will promote the release of her work in paperback.

The book is personal, revealing Steinem's long quest for security and self-confidence. It explores how all women can be crippled by lack of self-esteem and transformed by recapturing it.

<I>REVOLUTION FROM WITHIN<P>, a nonfiction book translated into 16 languages, has been a blockbuster, selling over 40,000 copies in hardcover, and spending 34 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, 14 of them at the top.

Included in the book are practical tips to help improve self-esteem, such as a meditation guide; inspirational stories, including profiles of celebrities who have suffered from lack of self-esteem; psychological and political insights; and wry humor.

Steinem's message is addressed to all women and men trying to believe in themselves.

"If you learn a tenth as much from this book as I have, I'll be a happy writer," she wrote in the preface.

A frequent authority on issues of equality, Steinem has appeared on national television often as both interviewer and interviewee.

She is currently an editorial consultant and writer for Ms. magazine, the national feminist magazine she co-founded in 1972. Steinem will sign copies of her book from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. For more information, contact Brazos Bookstore.

GAYS, LESBIANS STRIVE TO EDUCATE, INFORM STRAIGHTS

by Karla S. Mishak Lee

The UH Gay and Lesbian Student Association is operating under a new constitution that emphasizes supporting its members, educating the university community and promoting social activity.

The GLSA has been on campus since 1985, but the roots of a gay and lesbian organization here are much deeper. In 1973, UH became the first school in Texas to officially recognize a lesbian and gay student group when the Gay and Lesbian Alliance was formed.

The most recent change in GLSA occurred in March when Mitchell Nicholas, a junior HRM major, was elected GLSA executive administrator, and the group began to operate under a newly constructed constitution.

The first meeting in January had six people in attendance, and that number doubled almost every week, Nicholas said. "I was shocked," he said. "I had never seen anything grow that quickly."

The organization holds two meetings each week, one in the afternoon and one in the evening, to accommodate all students.

Currently, the organization has about 60 members, all but about 12 of whom are men, and the total increases weekly. There are approximately a dozen straight members.

David Daniell, assistant director of Campus Activities, said GLSA is one of only six of the 200 organizations on campus to get office space in the basement of the UC in campus activities. An organization first must maintain a desk in the open office, and if it is active on campus, it can vie for one of the six office spaces.

To keep the office space, the organization must maintain at least 15 office hours a week. "The GLSA has had office space for as long as I can remember," Daniell said.

"We don't have any problem filling office hours," said Nicholas. "We usually have people in here three times the required hours."

The organization focuses on support for its members and others in the gay community. College is a good time for many gay or lesbian individuals to inform friends and family that they are gay, Nicholas said.

It's the first time they are away from parents and peers who may disapprove, and the UH community is quite nonchalant about the matter, he said.

"When someone comes out (of the closet), it's a confusing, bewildering time because they don't know how to act. We offer peer support for those people," he said.

"We do not believe in outing people. We support them in whatever decision they make. Everyone needs to be comfortable with themselves before they can express themselves to those around them," Nicholas said.

As for the radicals, he said, "We want to send radicals to other groups for their radical behavior. The majority of our organization is just now coming out, and we try to provide support for them -- we don't want to scare anyone away." AIDS is another issue for the organization. "Almost everyone in the group either knows someone personally who has died from AIDS or who is infected with the AIDS virus. We promote safe sex. AIDS information is available in the office, as well as condoms," said Nicholas.

The organization is trying to educate the university community. "We're only different from (UH straights) in one way. We still worry about time, money, classes -- the same things you worry about," Nicholas said.

To educate the university community, the GLSA members have served on a panel for the Human Sexuality and Marriage psychology classes and other classes that study gay and lesbian behavior.

They have also been present for some resident-assistant training sessions. Risa Farber, Residential Life and Housing's coordinator of programming, conducts a workshop to teach RA's how to deal with gay and lesbian issues.

The GLSA is trying to start an organization to help heterosexuals become more aware of gay and lesbian issues and to help them feel more comfortable in supporting gay and lesbian individuals. The organization would be called Straight but not Narrow.

"You'll get more things done by educating students that being gay isn't being a freak," Nicholas said.

The organization tries to hold at least one social event each month. This semester, members have had four parties and one trip to Austin. At the most recent party, they gathered in the UC for a dance and a chance to visit and meet new people.

MIT REDEFINING MEDIA, NEWS

by Shawn Emery

College Press Service

Imagine yourself watching and manipulating the action of a feature-length movie stored on a compact disk, or Rolling Stone Magazine being beamed by a satellite to your personal computer, displayed with columns of text and accompanied by moving video.

These are the visionary technologies that researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge are developing.

The gamut of communication technologies - televisions, newspapers, magazines, books, music, film and video - are being redefined through computers and digital recordings that assign numbers to recorded information and allow greater compatibility between machines, faster transmission and more storage capacity.

Inside the square, modern building that houses the 6-year-old Media Lab, researchers devise new ways for people to interact with information through computers.

"There's not another place that has a mix of top-notch people learning about perceptual computing. The opportunity doesn't exist at other institutions because their (faculty) is already entrenched in delineated research areas," said Walter Bender, a founding member of the lab and associate director of its electronic publishing group. Information and entertainment are the other two major areas of study at the lab.

For example, Glorianna Davenport is combining her ability to tell stories with interactive technologies. Her darkened lab is a multimedia smorgasbord of editing rooms, spotlights, various high-powered computers, videodisc players, recorders, slide projectors and electrical cords snaking around the floor.

"The first reason why I do it is because I love making home movies. I love making documentary movies and I want (to develop) better tools and invent new forms. So, initially, it's probably a more art-driven imperative," said Davenport, an assistant professor of arts and media technology and director of the interactive cinema group.

Almost everyone experiences some form of interactive technology during the course of a day. Playing a video game or withdrawing money from an automatic teller machine are basic examples. But Davenport and the other Media Lab visionaries take it a few levels further.

Her recent interactive documentary, "New Orleans in Transition, 1983-1986," is a three-hour case study of urban change in the historic French Quarter. It was partially filmed by noted documentary filmmaker Richard Leacock.

A viewer can stop the action by typing the computer cues, opening windows, or eventually, voicing commands to query information on a particular participant, image or idea that includes sound, moving video, photographs or text.

"You, as a viewer, get to orchestrate which character's point of view you want to watch the action from," Davenport said, demonstrating how to change an image on the video monitor on command. "And those sorts of movies we're now only learning how to make. It's a very exciting time."

As director of the publishing group, Bender is tinkering with an "electronic newspaper" that would spit out personally tailored news to readers based on their interests and past selections.

"We are basically trying to make news address the needs of an individual, in terms of being timely, focused and useful,' Bender said. "And we're also looking farther afield to see if there's room for news in education.

"We're really shifting a lot of the news production. ...There's a computer in the news room. There's a computer in my home. What I want to do, is to be able to take advantage of that intelligence on either end of the wire, and let those two computers talk to each other and negotiate on my behalf," Bender said.

But will people be willing to give up the tangible feel of The New York Times only to read it on a blurry monitor? Bender sees no reason why "ink-on-paper cannot be a part of the news of the future." But, diminishing forests for paper and competition from other electronic media may not afford readers the pleasure of deciding how they will digest their information in the next century, he said.

Bender postulates an interesting scenario for future newspaper publishers.

"When you build a printing press, it costs a lot of money. It's not clear if that investment may be better spent by giving every one of your readers a laser printer instead."

Bender spoke highly of his graduate students who log countless hours in the "Garden," a 50-square-foot landscaped maze of powerful computer terminals. Only students with strong computer programming are allowed to work at the lab. Their interests and talents also must include art, film and journalism.

USE A CREDIT CARD, FEED THE HUNGRY WITH NEW PROGRAM

by Connie Barrera

American Express has teamed up with Share Our Strength, a non-profit hunger relief organization, to conduct a "Million Meals" hunger relief campaign for students who want to help feed those in need.

With every purchase charged to their American Express Card, college students will help fight hunger through the Million Meals program.

From March 15 through April 30, American Express will donate, through SOS, the equivalent of one meal every time a student cardmember makes a purchase with the card. Up to one million meals are expected to be donated.

Jim Blann, senior vice president of student card marketing at American Express Travel Related Services Co., Inc., said, "College-aged adults are extremely concerned about the world outside their campus.

"We developed the Million Meals program so students can easily contribute to a cause in which they strongly believe," he said.

The American Express' Million Meals campaign feeds one million needy people with a total donation by the company of $90,000.

Christine Parker, a college student involved with SOS, said American Express is educating student cardholders to be more aware of the hunger problem.

American Express also supports SOS by sponsoring Taste of the Nation, a series of food and wine events across the United States now constituting one of the largest nationwide benefits for hunger relief.

Money from tickets sold for Writer's Harvest, an event involving 350 authors who will donate a reading at different locations across the United States, will go to SOS and be given as a grant to a homeless shelter or food bank.

"SOS is important because it's fighting hunger and it is one of the easiest ways to solve one problem. There are many in this world," said Parker.

NO NUDES IS GOOD NUDES IN BAYLOR ART CLASS

WACO, Texas (/CPS)--Students and faculty had mixed reactions to Baylor University's decision to ban nude models in an art department drawing class after receiving hundreds of telephone calls expressing opposition.

The class in anatomical drawing, called "Life Drawing," was designed for advanced art students and would have featured nude male models in athletic supporters and fully nude female models.

The course would have allowed students required to have 21 hours of art credits to study muscle mass and bone structure needed for classical drawing exercises. The course was supposed to include lectures from doctors about anatomy.

"We have never had a life class here before," said Margaret Pauling, a spokeswoman for the college. "But we decided not to have it because our Baptist constituency said it would distress them greatly."

The university's Board of Regents unanimously voted to cancel the class, previously approved for the fall, after the Baptist General Convention of Texas asked regents to "prayerfully consider the prospect of such a class," according to the Lariat, Baylor's student newspaper.

"We have heard clearly the voices of Texas Baptists and many others, and we have cancelled any plan to offer the proposed course," Michael E. Bishop, Baylor's vice president for communications and marketing, told the paper.

John McClanahan, chairman of the art department, said the course was offered so art students would have a better chance of getting into graduate schools in such areas as medical illustration.

"In general, not every Baptist on this campus is against this class; in fact, most are for it. They recognize the academic worthiness of it," said Jason Ranton, editor of the Lariat.

The university receives funds from the Baptist General Convention, Pauling said. "We're proud of our Baptist heritage," she said. "Baylor is a very conservative school. They do have drawing classes in bathing suits. It's not that they don't have any (classes) at all."

The reasons for male models being partially clad and female models being fully nude in the proposed class were unclear; however, the art department chairman told the newspaper that the practice would mask any "involuntary erections" that would embarrass both the models and students.

Student and faculty reactions ranged from disappointment to support for the regent's decision.

Doug Crow, sculptor-in-residence and German professor, told the Lariat, "As a sculptor, I thought it was a good step to have the class because it is important to have knowledge of the anatomy when sculpting any living creature."

Alex Lofaso, a freshman art major, said he expected the class to be offered when he enrolled at Baylor. The class would have been offered only to students who wanted to learn how to draw the body correctly, Lofaso said.

"Baylor is here to educate people and not to please the people with the pocketbooks," Lofaso told the Lariat.

STUDY EXAMINES SEXUAL ASSAULTS

by Deborah Hensel

Preventing sexual assault on college campuses requires education to change attitudes. This was the central theme of Monday's forum on Sexual Assault in Higher Education in the UC World Affairs lounge.

Comments on campus policy recommendations were made by members of the Sexual Assault Task Force, a committee UH President James Pickering appointed to study the problem in August after two alleged incidents on campus.

"You can make 50,000 pamphlets," said Ann Christensen, "but if attitudes don't change, it doesn't matter if you have the highest lookout tower in the land."

Christensen, an English professor and member of the task force, expressed concern for changing attitudes in athletic organizations and fraternities.

"Concern has to come from the top of the institution -- that means the president's office," Pickering said. "It has to be conveyed in word as well as in deed, in policy and procedures."

Pickering also said the university is not alone in dealing with the problem of sexual assault, pointing to the "loads of stuff highlighting the problem" in the media.

"One of the exciting things about being alive in the latter part of the 20th century is that we are renegotiating all kinds of relationships in our society, and that's what's good about all this," he said.

"I know date rape and sexual assault went on when I was in college," Pickering said. "But we didn't call it that. We called it 'house party weekend' -- fun and games.

"What's healthy about this is that it's now all coming out, attitudes are being reformed and that's got to be good," he said.

Pickering added that all groups on campus -- including fraternities and sororities -- need to be sensitized, but he is also conscious of not singling out any one group as a primary source of the problem.

Pickering praised the six-month investigatory efforts of the task force that culminated in a 72-page document defining the scope of the problem of sexual assault and recommending "pro-active measures" the university can take.

"I can't imagine a group doing any more conscientious job than what you see here," he said.

Some of the recommendations the include: increasing Cougar Patrol, improving lighting and landscaping on campus for better visibility, hiring a Gender Equity Expert in the Affirmative Action Office and hiring a full-time Crime Prevention Specialist in the police department.

Pickering said he agreed with the need for additional assistance in the Affirmative Action Office.

Vice President of Student Affairs Elwyn Lee said the document -- as well as a 467-page appendix of supporting information -- is available to students in the library, Pickering's office, the office of the Dean of Students and the Affirmative Action Office.

SATF Chair Cynthia Freeland explained the content of the document. Writing of actual policy -- required by federal law to be completed by August -- is largely done, she said.

Gail Hudson of Counseling and Testing said she wanted to dispel myths that sexual assault is something that happens "behind the bushes" perpetrated by a stranger.

"Eighty-four percent of the time, it happens in dorm rooms, at parties, on dates," she said.

Hudson said CTS provides crisis intervention and counseling for sexual assault survivors and provides educational speakers for campus organizations.

MASTURBATTERS, SCUM COMPETE FOR INTRAMURAL SOFTBALL GLORY

by Jena Moreno

There are names such as Will Work for Food, Phornicating Phlegm, Lucky Stiff, Scum in Chains and Mis-D-Meaner.

These may sound like heavy metal groups, but they refer to the names of UH intramural softball teams.

Some of these names have simple origins. For example, junior Eddie Abrigo said the name of his team, 12 Pack, developed from a combination of several different sources. "The first name we had was 12 Guys, since we live on the twelfth floor of the south tower, and also because of beer drinking. Sometimes it sounds innocent and sometimes it doesn't."

A few teams do have names that sound innocent. The F.R.E.D.S. are an independent team who all go to the same church. The team, according to manager Jaime Subirats, was named after his stuffed bear, Fred. "When I was in high school baseball, the baseball mothers gave us these baseball bears and I named it Fred."

Some teams have traditionally named themselves something not so innocent. The Masturbatters were once named VNA (Vertical Not Applicable) when they played basketball. To arrive at the name Masturbatters, "we combined it with the correct term, being a bunch of postpubescent males," said manager Chris Ochs.

The teams play every Saturday or Sunday for five weeks. The playoffs are held on the sixth Saturday. The teams have already been playing for three weeks. The teams that have won the most games in their division get to play in the playoffs.

The teams are divided into an A league and a B league. The A league is divided into Greek, Residence, Independent and Pro-Club teams. The Independent teams are made up of students, faculty and staff. The Pro-Club is made up of different colleges such as law and optometry. The B league is open to anyone who wants to join.

Reggie Riley, who plays on one of the teams, said some wild card teams may be chosen and the playoffs may round out to 16 teams.

For some teams, it is simply a challenge to get all of the members to show up for the game. "They have the athletic ability," said Subirats. "They would be great if they ever got together."

INFRASTRUCTURE ERODING,

SAYS UNDERGRADUATE COUNCIL

by Kristine Fahrenholz

As part of the reshaping of UH, the University Policy and Planning Council continued reviewing components of the university, focusing on the eroding infrastructure.

The UPPC reviews the component analyses and makes recommendations to Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Glenn Aumann, who forwards his recommendations to President James Pickering.

"The administrative office for research is about to collapse," said Stephen Huber, chair of the UPPC.

But Tom Jones, the associate vice president for research, said he doesn't believe people think there is a serious problem.

The subcommittee that reviewed the office of the associate vice president for research, the office of sponsored programs and the animal care facility sees problems ahead.

One such problem included the delays in receiving research money because of the paperwork involved.

"It's becoming a dis-incentive to spend university money when I have to track it down," said Richard Bannerot, a professor in mechanical engineering.

No cuts were recommended by the UPPC. Instead, the solution was to increase training with an additional support of income coming from indirect monies.

The problem with using indirect monies is that those deductions will have to be made up for elsewhere.

"This problem, however, is not unique to research," Jones said.

The UPPC will continue reviewing the analyses of the non-college components at 3 p.m. Monday, April 19, at the University Hilton.

YOU'VE COME A SHORT WAY, BABY

by Marla M. Crawford

March was Women's History Month, but data from the U.S. Census Bureau suggest that women haven't come such a long way, baby.

Women's salaries did not significantly increase in 1991, while men's salaries increased by 2 percent, according to the report.

"Women with Ph.D.s make less than men with bachelor's (degrees)," said Cathy Nelson-Archer, former president of the UH National Organization for Women. "I believe that men with bachelor's degrees make around $3,600 per month and women average around $3,100."

Nelson-Archer doesn't think it's going to get better any time soon, either.

Women have so many burdens placed on them there is no energy left to fight the government, she said.

"It's not a bright, hopeful scenario," said Cynthia Freeland, director of Women's Studies at UH. "There are a lot of areas where women get harmed -- child care, domestic work at home."

Janet Reno's appointment to the attorney general post is encouraging because of her concern for women's issues, Freeland said.

"Men have to get more sensitized, too," Freeland said. "If women are expected to do equal work, then they should get equal pay."

People in the highest earning brackets are those who have had more math and science, but women are traditionally diverted from these fields, Freeland said.

Nelson-Archer said, "What we do is track women to be homemakers. Other things need to be stressed."

Families headed by women showed a 5.4 percent decline in income between 1990 and 1991. These family members also were more likely to receive government assistance, the report said.

Women in poverty paid about 21 percent of their income for child-care in 1988, while women above the poverty level paid an average of 7 percent.

"We should join the other industrialized nations and give subsidized child-care," Freeland said.

The census bureau also reported divorce rates for women under 30 were 38 to 39 percent.

Nelson-Archer thinks that in divorce settlements women should be recognized for their work in the home.

"If a husband had to pay for all that work, what would it be worth?" she said. "Put a dollar value on it -- value of raising children, doing dishes. We've got to say as a society, that's worth something."

AIDS EDUCATION

(CPS) -- AIDS testing among students makes candid talks with lovers about twice as likely, but almost two-thirds of those surveys still don't use condoms, a recent study revealed.

Researchers asked 2,196 heterosexual students receiving health care at the University of California if they were interested in HIV education, and the 435 who said yes agreed to be divided into three groups.

One group received no educational materials, another received only educational materials, and the last received a free HIV test and educational materials.

The students were questioned at the beginning of the study and six months later about the HIV status of sexual partners.

Among those who received AIDS tests and education, the proportion who asked about their partner's HIV status rose to 56 percent from 31 percent.

The proportion increased only to 41 percent from 34 percent among those who received education alone.

Among those who received neither testing nor education, there was only a light increase to 42 percent from 39 percent. Although the tested group discussed AIDS more, there appeared to be no change in sexual behavior or an increase in condom use.

"The findings raise questions about the effectiveness of current AIDS education," the American College of Physicians reported in a recent publication.

CINCINNATI FACULTY STRIKE

CINCINNATI--Students returning to the University of Cincinnati after spring break were greeted with picket signs after the university's faculty went on strike.

A university spokesman said about 90 percent of the institution's 1,916 professors are represented by the American Association of University Professors. The union and the administration couldn't come to an agreement over a proposed contract, and the faculty went on strike. The main issue was about pay and other unresolved issues, including university governance and working conditions.

Spokesman Jim Dexter said graduate assistants and part-time instructors were filling the void, and that up to two-thirds of the scheduled classes were held two days after the strike began March 29. Additionally, several full-time faculty members were in the classrooms, Dexter said.

Approximately 35,000 students attend the public university.

RACIAL TENSIONS

SAN FRANCISCO (CPS)--About 1,000 Korean-American students and other minorities met in late March to discuss rising racial tension and political action in the aftermath of last year's Los Angeles riots.

The main purpose of the Korean-American Students Conference was to set an agenda for change and build student activism for the Korean-American student community, said Marc Suchard, a sophomore at University of California-Berkeley who helped coordinate the conference.

"The message we hope students take back to their campuses is to take specific actions, such as getting Korean-American students to register to vote," he said.

Speakers at the conference included the Rev. Jesse Jackson and Angela Oh, a spokeswoman for the Korean-American community. African-American students also attended the conference, Suchard said.

Topics of discussion included whether there was real or perceived tension between African Americans and Korean Americans. The April 1992 rioting that destroyed many Korean-owned businesses in south-central Los Angeles.

DOUBLE DIPPING

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (CPS) -- A professor of Judaic studies at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte resigned after it was discovered that he was secretly holding two full-time teaching positions at two different universities while receiving salaries amounting to $146,400.

Tzvee Zahavy, a nationally known Talmud scholar, was hired by UNCC last year as a result of a two-year national search to fill the Isaac Swift Distinguished Professorship in Judaic Studies.

UNCC was unaware that at the same time, the professor was still holding his previous position at the University of Minnesota.

At UNCC beginning in October, Zahavy taught a class titled "Judaism in the Time of Early Christianity" for two hours on Mondays and Wednesdays, then would fly back to Minnesota, where he taught two of the same classes on Thursdays .

The 1,000-mile commute allowed Zahavy to pick up the hefty salaries from both universities. He also received an advance of $5,000 from UNCC for moving expenses, which he never used.

In December, just two months after Zahavy's arrival, UNCC Chancellor Jim Woodward asked Zahavy to resign and requested that he reimburse the university $5,000. Zahavy recently agreed to pay back the money.

The University of Minnesota has also requested the professor's resignation.