SADE

It ended with a song about a woman named Jezebel.

Born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

But the audience probably would have stayed past midnight to listen to the ethereal voice of Sade as she transported them to a distant place where "the colour of love" is painted against a heavenly canvas. The heart of a lover whose desire has been sated.

During her concert Sunday, devoted fans got a taste of what they have missed during the four years that marked Sade Adu's absence from the recording and touring scene.

<B>The show begins...<P>

After a wait of nearly an hour that gave the audience time to reflect on a mediocre first act performance and stare at some poorly dressed passersby, the house lights went down. Bolts of lightening and shooting stars streaked across the sheer white curtain. Then came the drizzling rain that gave the audience a hint "Sweetest Taboo" would be the first song of Sade's concert.

The band, without guitarist and saxophonist Stewart Matthewman, played the Brazilian rhythm-tinged opening arrangements of the song from "Promise," the second recording of the Nigerian-born song stylist's career.

Wearing a white rhinestone-studded two-piece dress, a barefoot Sade then appeared with longtime duet partner Leroy Osbourne for the song in which they sing, "Don't lay awake at night/Thinking about your problems/Keep looking."

In keeping with her theme of love serving as an elixir of life, she warmed the hearts of the audience with a rendition of "Your Love is King," one of the songs from her debut recording <I>Diamond Life<P>.

Osbourne, whose raspy voice complements Sade's on her commentary about cyclical unemployment titled "Feel No Pain," reappeared to sing the cut from <I>Love Deluxe<P> that addresses pain, survival and has a strong reggae feel.

The effect of an early evening sky (created by a projected image) on which the silhouette of a bass-playing band member enhanced the presentation of the song in which Osbourne and Sade sing, "One day we're gonna wake up/and the ghetto's all around/All over my friend/Have you ever seen a man break down."

<B>A medley of hits...<P>

She continued the program -- that included a musical mosaic of jazz, world beat, gospel, pop, folk, blues, and rhythm and blues elements -- with "Stronger Than Pride" and "Smooth Operator," the song that initially showcased her unique brand of lounge singing.

A song dedicated to a war veteran she met in New York titled "Like a Tattoo" gave her a platform to address the bloodthirsty war god that casts a dark shadow over battlefields. Her ability to deliver a song about a man whose shame can't be effaced and follow it with such up-tempo, lighthearted songs as "Kiss of Life" goes unmatched. The audience remained silent during her performance of the former, but clapped throughout her rendition of the latter.

Favorites such as "Nothing Can Come Between Us," "Cherry Pie," and "Stronger Than Pride," kept the audience satisfied and seemed to excite many of the fans. Some of the men in attendance expressed their love for Sade by dancing to the music.

She enhanced the presentation of her songs as she danced or made gestures.

But, as she so obviously knows, there is a time to dance and a time to be still.

<B>Stillness...<P>

One of those still moments came when she sang the opening words of "Pearls," the most timely, poignant song on her latest release. As she sang of the woman in Somalia who treasures each grain the way a woman who lives an opulent lifestyle treasures pearls, each phrase spoke of pain and the human spirit.

She seemed to take the audience back when she sang "hallelujah" with such force that her voice seemed more powerful than the sound of thunder. It was just a foretaste of what was to come.

After she performed "Hold On to Your Love" and "No Ordinary Love," she sang a stirring rendition of "Is It a Crime" that had the audience crying out each time she sang "Surely you want me back." Her delivery was perfect, much better than the recorded version of the song. The audience seemed to anticipate a strong ending, but after she poured her heart and soul and energy into the last phrase of the song, asking the simple question "Is it a Crime?," many in attendance shot out of their seats.

But it wasn't over.

<B>A bouquet of roses...<P>

She came back for an encore, dressed in a white shirt and black vest and pants. She received a bouquet of red roses and left the audience hungry for more British-Nigerian soul.

She obliged them with a second encore. The band, which consisted of longtime members Paul Denman on bass and Andrew Hale on keyboards, backed her up solidly.

In the end, though, she was the center of attraction. A woman with an angelic presence singing about an evil woman.

*******************************************************

CELEBRATE UH THIS WEEKEND

Music, art, dance and food are part of the recipe for a celebration of African culture and the African-American community.

These ingredients, along with face-painting and volleyball will culminate to make the first Cultural Arts Festival an entertaining learning experience for all who attend. Black Houston-area vendors will selling clothing, perfume and jewelry at the event, which is sponsored by the African-American Student Coalition.

Designed to promote a relationship between UH and the surrounding community, the event will feature live entertainment, including performances by the Acres Homes Dance Troupe, the Houston Steel Light Orchestra and the Greater Owerri Dance Club.

"We just wanted it to be a cultural celebration," said Veronica Ferguson, recruitment and retention specialist for African-American Studies.

The festival will begin at noon Saturday and last until 6 p.m. in Lynn Eusan Park.

IT'S APRIL 16: KNOW WHERE YOUR TAXES ARE?

by Dianne Beirne

On April 15, a day dreaded by millions of taxpaying Americans, a government watchdog group held a rally in the UC Arbor to decry the waste of tax dollars.

The Taxpayer's Action Network of Houston, along with the UH Libertarian Party, staged the rally as a "serious wake-up call" for all taxpayers, said TANOH spokesperson Stephanie Thompson.

"We must demand accountability from our government," said Thompson, a UH alumna and small-business owner. "On this day, when you pay your taxes to the IRS, we are here to discuss waste, mismanagement and extravagance in government spending."

The rally was sparsely attended. Passersby stopped for a few minutes to hear speakers rail against excessive taxes and pork-barrel legislation.

TANOH is the grass-roots extension of the Washington, D.C.-based non-partisan group Citizens Against Government Waste.

"It will be difficult for college students when they graduate and expect good jobs because they just won't be there," Thompson said, adding that many jobs will be lost to other countries with lower wages and a friendlier tax structure.

Thompson pointed out that 61 cents of every personal income tax dollar goes to pay interest on the national debt, and 35 cents of what is paid goes to waste, leaving 4 cents for "valid" programs.

According to CAGW, two examples of federal government waste are plans to spend $3.6 million for an urban gardening program and $157,000 for a home sewing program.

John Kormylo, chair of the HCLP, said taxes should be reduced to the bare minimum and provide mainly for the military, courts and police.

"If revenues increase, the government will spend more," Kormylo said. "Clinton's budget is succeeding in making the situation worse, not better."

Chris Struble, a 30-year-old mechanical engineering major and secretary of the Harris County Libertarian Party, said the government does not have the incentive to cut wasteful spending.

"Because they can collect taxes forcibly, they are not inclined to provide good services at a low cost like private companies can," he said. "Competition ensures better service."

STUDENTS MAY PAY MORE FOR EXTRA CLASSES

by Heather Wolk

State Sen. Carl Parker, D-Port Arthur, is proposing a bill that would limit the number of credit hours a student can take without earning a bachelor's degree at in-state tuition.

The bill allows students to take 38 hours in addition to those required to complete a degree program before being charged out-of-state tuition.

The bill would save the state approximately $20 million a year, Parker said.

Parker is taking aiming at "professional students" to get rid of those students not serious about earning a degree.

Tuition for Texas residents is $24 per credit hour, while out-of-state tuition is $162 per credit hour.

The bill was passed in the Senate and was referred to the Higher Education Committee in the House April 5.

The bill allows for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to provide for hardship situations and exceptions to the policy.

"Students can apply for a hardship and have those hours subtracted. Things like a death in the family, illness, losing a job or a disaster like a divorce that cause students not to finish the semester will be considered," Parker said. "If we don't take this step, you are jeopardizing low tuition because of those who treat their education like recreation.

"If you want to keep your tuition low, you should be for this bill," said Parker, "It will gain $16 to $17 million for the biennium." Graduate student Jeff Taylor is opposed to the bill.

"I think it's a dumb idea. Students are going to go somewhere else and pay out-of-state at a higher-ranked school," said Taylor.

David Schwam, a graduate student, said the bill would hurt the graduate program.

"They don't want higher education promoted. The budget is a problem -- classes are being cut right and left -- but charging extra tuition will diminish the program," said Schwam.

THECB estimates 5,000 out of 410,532 college students will be classified as "professional students" under the bill.

PAPER NOT JUST TRASH ANYMORE

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

UH will kick off a campus-wide newspaper and magazine recycling program today, which offers employees and students an "environmentally friendly" way to contribute to the university.

"We encourage recycling of newspapers and magazines because we think that it is a good and important deed for the environment," said Cydney Mackey, a UH media relations employee. "We have never done anything like this (recycling), so I'm very excited."

Faculty, staff and students can bring in old newspapers and magazines from their home or office and drop them off at any of the recycling bins.

The newspaper recycling bin, located inside UH Campus Entrance 8 (off Cullen Blvd), will be open 24 hours a day.

"We will gather at 9 a.m. in the E. Cullen lobby and begin distributing recycling boxes to employees all over the building (to put) next to desks," Mackey said. "This will encourage all employees to (recycle) items such as computer paper, colored paper and office mix paper."

"Recycling bins for aluminum will also be placed on every floor of the E. Cullen building," said Steven Barth, an assistant professor in hotel and restaurant management."

"We will begin with E. Cullen and continue with the Architecture building," said Mackey.

"Mainly, we are trying to emphasize that it is a good thing for the environment. I feel the university needs to be involved," she said.

"We decided to start this recycling program because we feel it is the right thing to do, from an environmental standpoint," Barth said. "We also received a mandate from the governor's office stating we should begin to reduce our waste.

"We are also testing the support from faculty, staff and students. We need to have a consensus in the campus community," he said.

The recycling program will benefit both the environment and the university community by lowering the university's waste management costs and reducing its use of landfill space, Mackey said.

"If there is any profit made, it will go to cover the cost of collection. It takes a lot of manpower to funnel all recycling items to one central site," said Barth.

This recycling effort is part of a larger university-wide recycling plan to be instituted across campus in the coming months that will include aluminum, office mix, and computer paper, she said.

The program is being coordinated by the UH Conservative Committee, a standing presidential advisory committee of faculty, staff, student and Physical Plant representatives.

THESIS AS ART: BLAFFER DISPLAYS STUDENTS' WORK

by Gram Gemoets

Daily Cougar

While most of us are slaving away at those last-minute projects and term papers, UH graphic arts majors are breathing easier today.

Their work has already been turned in and is currently on display, part of the 1993 Student Exhibit at the Blaffer Gallery on campus.

This annual exhibit is a thesis requirement for all graphic arts majors and those seeking a Masters of Fine Art. Students following these curriculum are required to submit work.

Just because you submit a painting or a video does not automatically entitle you to participate in the exhibit however. All entries go through a rigorous screening process.

Gallery employees say that sometimes as much as 50 percent of the work submitted is turned down flat. The decisions are made by a panel of teachers, gallery advisors and various UH staffers.

"It is all very objective" and there is no favoring, the Blaffer's Ellen Efsic said.

Still, feelings can get hurt when art clashes with policy. Disgruntled students who have been rejected have little recourse. After all, what is art to one is not always art to another.

Since the Blaffer's inception in 1973, works by a number of emerging and established artists have graced the gallery's walls. Thus, the exhibit is a blend of every medium.

A Blaffer exhibit can add distinction to the resume of any new artist and the limited space is highly sought after. The Blaffer is flooded with potential applicants every time they do this show.

The Blaffer is free to the public and its current display runs through April 25. Hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m Tuesday-Friday and 1:00 p.m. through 5:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The gallery is closed on Monday.

LIGHTS, CAMERA...

by Sally Pouncy

Okay film buffs, your chance to sink your teeth into some of the best films in the world begins Friday. The Houston International Film Festival is back in town bringing movies and stars to the Bayou City.

Texas's Southern neighbor, Mexico, contributes the first film of the festival. <I>Like Water for Chocolate<P> , by Alfonso Arau, screens Friday night at the Museum of Fine Arts and its distinctive recipe for romance has garnered it loads of critical acclaim.

The story behind <I>Like Water<P> is one of mystical love. A young woman is forbidden to marry her man because she is the youngest daughter and her older sister must be married first.

So the young woman decides to let her love marry her sister and the youngest moves into the kitchen, and cooks up some strange dishes. The desires of the young woman are mystically conveyed through the food, causing passion and sickness to stir through the house. Screening time is 8 p.m. Saturday at MFA.

<I>L.A. Law<P> star Corbin Bernsen is expected to show up at the screening of his new film <I>The Killing Box<P>. This film tells the story of a Confederate soldier who must help the Yankees ferret out renegade soldiers who are bumping off people indifferent to whose side they are on.

When Corbin finds out who the renegades are, he nearly flips. They are the undead, or rather back from the dead, men of his former regiment. Show times are 9 p.m. Saturday and 9:30 p.m. Monday at The Greenway Plaza 3.

Another film that looks to be a must see is <I>Equinox<P>, staring Mathew Modine. This one's about a gangster who just might be the alter ego of a shy mechanic. Modine is the mechanic/gangster who has a serious identity problem. Laura Flynn Boyle, Lori Singer, Fred Ward and M. Emmet Walsh round out the cast. Show time is 9:30 p.m. Monday at the Greenway.

Sam Bottoms and Karen Black will be on hand for the screening of <I>The Trust<P>. Filmed in Houston, this story is about the murder of Rice University founder William Marsh Rice. This film is vastly different from the Hal Hartly film <I>Trust<P>, also filmed in Houston. <I>The Trust<P> is set in 1900 Texas not Brooklyn. Show times are 7 and 9:30 p.m. April 23 at MFA.

Students might want to take in the new Bridget Fonda flick <I>Bodies, Rest &Motion<P>. Fonda co-stars with Phobe Cates and Eric Stoltz in this film formulated for the misplaced twentysomething generation. Show time is 9:30 p.m. April, 22 at the Greenway.

If they are giving away an award for the best title <I>Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me<P> will walk away with it. Sure you can't tell how good a movie will be by its title, but this film about love, murder and game shows sounds incredibly interesting. It stars Sean Young and Diane Ladd. Show time is 9:30 p.m. April 23 and 25 at the Greenway.

THIS WEEKEND

4/16 Friday

<B>Miami City Ballet Makes Houston Debut<P>

-Presented by the Society for the Performing Arts

-8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Jones Hall

-For ticket information call 227-ARTS

<B>Play: You Can't Take It With You<P>

-8 p.m Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the UH Wortham Theater

-General Admission: $8

-Faculty and Alumni: $7

-Students and Senior Citizens: $6

<B>Frontier Fiesta & Cook-Off<P>

-Features cook-offs, Broadway shows and carnival booths

-6 p.m - midnight Friday, and noon - midnight Saturday at the corner of Cullen Boulevard. and Elgin Street

AD DECISION NEAR

The University of Houston will name a new athletic director Tuesday, said Vice President for Administration and Finance Dennis Boyd, who heads the AD search committee.

Four candidates remain to fill the job Rudy Davalos vacated in November.

Bill Carr, Max Urick, Ed Brooks, and Robert Brezina.

COUGARS TAKE ON 'FROGS

IN THREE-GAME SERIES

by Patti Warner

The Cougars hope to continue their winning ways this weekend as they travel to Fort Worth for a three-game series against the TCU Horned Frogs.

Houston, 27-17, (2-10) hits the road on the heels of a five-game winning streak. TCU, 28-17, (1-8) beat Tarleton State Tuesday to snap an eight-game losing streak. The Horned Frogs, however, are 19-6 at home.

The Cougars bring hot bats and even hotter pitching into the series. Houston pitchers have thrown three consecutive complete games.

Freshman Jeremy Tyson has taken over as the team leader with 20 pitching appearances. He has lowered his ERA to 3.20, first among active pitchers. Tyson has also thrown two consecutive complete-game wins.

Junior Brian Hamilton leads the Cougar staff with six wins, while junior Matt Beech leads in strikeouts with 54.

Offensively, Cougar hitters continue to grace the Southwest Conference elite.

Third baseman Ricky Freeman leads the team with a .391 batting average and is third in the SWC. Freeman is currently on a four-game hitting streak.

Left fielder Brian Blair leads Houston hitters with 38 runs batted in and center fielder Phil Lewis leads with six home runs.

Lewis has also become the school's career leader in hits (216) and triples (18). The Houston native is five games away from breaking the record of 223 games played.

The Horned Frogs are led by sophomore transfer Adam Robson. The first baseman is currently ranked sixth in the SWC batting race with a .383 average, fourth in hits (54), seventh in RBIs (36) and second in home runs (nine).

Other notable TCU hitters include third baseman David Zeigler, who is second in the conference with 14 doubles, and center fielder Kemp Laidley, who ranks in the top 10 in doubles and triples.

The Horned Frogs are led mound-wise by none other than Reid Ryan. The junior with the famous baseball name is finally starting to come into his own by leading the TCU staff with six wins. His 51 strikeouts rank second.

Horned Frog ace Kelly Johns ranks ninth in the SWC ERA race with a respectable 3.15 and 68 strikeouts.

COUGAR TRACK TEAM TO HOST

FRONTIER FIESTA INVITATIONAL

by Jason Ramirez

The UH track team will host a home meet Saturday at 11 a.m. as part of the university's Frontier Fiesta.

The meet will involve the Cougars competing against usual Southwest Conference foes Rice and Texas Christian, as well as other standout teams, including Texas-Pan American and national power Wisconsin.

As one of the most powerful sprinting tandems in the country, the Lady Cougars will try to offset their competition in the middle and long distance events.

Led by senior Michelle Collins, who has already qualified for the NCAA outdoor championships in the 200 and 400 meter run (22.8 and 52.25 respectively), the Cougars hope to have senior Cynthia Jackson (23.6 in the 200-meter) and sophomore De'Angelia Johnson (53.6 in the 400-meter) impress the judges as well.

Both have provisionally qualified for the NCAA's but must keep a close eye on TCU's Beverly McDonald (second to Collins in the 200-meter, with a time of 22.94).

On the men's side, the Cougars will rely on a combination of strong sprinting and consistent horizontal and vertical jumping to win the meet.

Sheddric Fields hopes to pad the stats in the long jump and sprinting events. He has provisionally qualified for the NCAA's in the 100-meter (10.34) and is tied with teammate Sam Jefferson in the 200-meter with a time of 20.7.

Both, however, will be strongly opposed by Rice's Kareem Streete-Thompson, who has automatically qualified for the NCAA's in the 100 (10.19) and long jump (27-5.25).

Also in the long jump, NCAA provisional qualifiers Jermaine Johnson and Chris Lopez round out a strong Cougars jumping contingent, while Jon Vines and Ken Bigger will be the men to beat in the high jump with heights of 6-10 and 7-0, respectively.

FOOTBALL PLAYERS BLAST PROGRAM

Broken promises disappoint walk-ons, lower team morale

by Dai Huynh

Several walk-on football players claim the UH football program promised them scholarships that never materialized.

Walk-on players are those who don't receive scholarships to play football.

Former superback Lawrence Mouton, a walk-on, said, "I've really been hurt by this program. I feel that the way the system is set up, they bring in a lot of walk-ons and tell you all these things to keep you here."

Mouton said in 1989 UH recruited him from high school. But he didn't meet the academic requirements, he said, so he attended St. Phillips Junior College in San Antonio.

In 1990 he transferred to UH. "I was told I would get a scholarship if I came here to play. I would've never come here otherwise," the psychology major said.

"When I arrived here, there was no scholarship. But they convinced me to stay, so I stayed."

Mouton said in fall 1991, he considered leaving the university, but he changed his mind when his coaches told him that if he continued to perform well and kept his grades up, he would get a scholarship.

According to two evaluation sheets in spring 1992, Mouton received two perfect scores, one 93 percent score and one 67 percent score on his performance ratings.

Mouton said that at the time, he thought the evaluation the coaches gave him showed he was performing at the level they wanted him to, and that he was on the right track to getting a scholarship.

Reinforcing this idea were phone calls from assistant coach Ron Calcagni to Mouton's parents telling them Mouton would receive a scholarship in the fall.

"I received two phone calls in spring 1992 from then football coach Ron Calcagni that Lawrence was performing very well in spring football practice and he would be receiving a football scholarship for the football season of 1992," said Mouton's father, Lawrence Sr.

"I felt my boy had been used when Lawrence first went up there," he continued. "They encouraged him to stay. They told us Lawrence would be playing football."

Mouton's father said he advises other parents to sign a contract before "they allow their kids to be cajoled and conned by these coaches."

"Fall arrived, and there was no scholarship for me," Mouton said.

Head coach John Jenkins disputes Mouton's claim. "No one in the country tells a player, 'If you come in, we'll give you a scholarship.' "

Calcagni, who now coaches in Canada, said he never told Mouton he would receive a scholarship.

Inside receiver Freddie Gilbert tells a different story. "I was passing by when I heard coach Calcagni tell Lawrence that he'd get a scholarship," he said.

Mouton said, "They never came straight out and said 'Lawrence, we're not going to give you a scholarship.' They kept me hanging.

"They were leading me on to keep me out there, and I could've gone somewhere else to get my education," he said.

"If they can keep you here for free, rather than have you go to another college, they'll do it," he said.

"Although they used up my years of eligibility, they'll never take my education away."

A former UH football coach, who asked for anonymity, said Mouton was told if he fulfilled a set of criteria outlined by the coaching staff he would receive a scholarship the next semester.

"Lawrence more than once fulfilled all the requirements that were asked of him by the staff in order to be put on scholarship. Every time he attained these goals, (the requirements) would be changed on him once again," said the coach who worked with Mouton.

"But he persevered, hung in there and kept doing everything that the staff asked of him to do, but he never received the scholarship."

In order for a walk-on to be awarded a scholarship, the player must follow certain guidelines outlined by Jenkins.

"Once they play in a regular playing capacity and they're academically sound and obviously (have) good moral character off the field, as far as discipline, then they definitely will be awarded one. That is a promise. It's not a consideration, it's a promise from me," Jenkins said.

But the coach who requested anonymity said Mouton's situation is not isolated. "It's not just him. It's other young men at that institution (UH) that, since John Jenkins became head coach, have been lost in the shuffle -- they more or less have been thrown away."

A current walk-on player, who would only speak on condition of anonymity, said he played in every football game for more than a year and has not been awarded a scholarship.

"Coach Jenkins promised me a scholarship in the spring of 1991. I was told that if I stayed the summer of 1990, I would be given a good job and would be put on scholarship. I stayed for the summer, but I didn't get a scholarship.

"Walk-ons are used for the sole purpose of practicing with Jenkins' offense. He doesn't care about the walk-ons," he said.

Another walk-on, inside receiver Tim Woods, said, "I had been promised a scholarship. They told my grandfather I was in the position to get one.

"And when you're young, you can't see the big picture. All you see is maybe there's a chance," he said. "They pacify you, and I was being pacified.

"I'm not trying to malicious, I'm not being bitter, I don't hate anybody. I'm just telling the truth," said Woods, a senior now planning to attend law school.

Woods, who started playing for the Cougars in 1989, said for several semesters he moved from place to place, sleeping at friends' homes because he didn't have money and the scholarship he said he was promised never appeared.

"I was living with teammates. I was living with some fraternity brothers. And there were nights I stayed out in my car parked outside the football office," he said.

"I don't think he (Jenkins) knows when he's really hurting someone. He might, I don't know," Woods said. "But I explained it to him. And I don't think anyone in their right mind could hear about my situation, my living arrangements and really not do anything about it."

Karl Jackson, who transferred from Bakersfield Junior College in 1991, said he was told he would get a scholarship.

"I came here, I struggled. No money, no scholarship, no nothing," he said.

After more than a year of waiting for a scholarship that never materialized, Jackson, unlike Mouton and Woods, chose to leave the team.

"I'm not going to play for free. I'm not going to sell myself to be sold out," Jackson said. "(The coaches) would say, 'You stick around, hoss. Stick around, we'll take care of you.' It started to sound like a broken record."

Craig Alexander, a graduate assistant at the Athletic Department was a walk-on who did receive a scholarship from Jenkins. "UH offers one of the best opportunities for non-scholarship athletes," he said, "whether they were asked to come on or they came on their own to come and play."

Chris Pezman, a walk-on who received a scholarship and staunchly supports Jenkins, said, "If you're a walk-on, you got to do everything above and beyond everything else. You got to be there every day. You got to be ready to work your ass off.

"You got to do everything you can to help yourself. In a certain sense, you got to be ready to kiss butt. There's no other way to put it. You got to do whatever the coach asks."

FORMER SA PRESIDENT ARRESTED

by Tammy Gamble

Former SA President Rusty Hruska was arrested today, and he's depending on UH faculty, staff and students to bail him out of the Fiesta City jail this weekend.

Arrested by Fiesta City marshalls, Hruska and other prisoners must find people willing to donate bail money so they can get out. Marshalls will make the arrests as part of the Frontier Fiesta festivities going on today and Saturday in the new parking lot at the corner of Elgin and Cullen.

Barbecue judges, local politicians and UH faculty and staff are all potential arrestees, Hruska said. "Some people will have their friends thrown into jail," Hruska said.

UH will take a step back in time to the days of cowboys, wild west shows and outlaws as the parking lot is transformed into a real-life western town. Activities include a barbecue cook-off, carnival booths and western-style storefronts, said Patrick Brown, chairman of the Frontier Fiesta Association.

"We want the UH community to expect a good time, lots of food and hopefully lots of sunshine," Brown said. "Many people have put lots of work into the event to make it a success."

The fiesta, a UH tradition more than 30 years ago, was revived last year, but it was planned quickly and was not as successful as some had hoped. Frontier Fiesta Association members planned early for this year's festivities and believe the hard work will pay off.

"This year more people are getting involved, which puts more of a student's stamp on the event," Brown said.

Six remakes of Broadway shows will be performed by different student organizations, and students can choose from a variety of carnival booths, ranging from cupcake walks to dunking booths, which are sponsored by different campus groups. The shows and booths will be open from 6:30 p.m. until midnight Friday and 1 p.m. until midnight Saturday.

The barbecue cook-off will feature 40 teams from throughout Houston, with seven teams sponsored by UH colleges. The teams will compete in categories of beans, fajitas, chili, chicken and brisket. Barbecue will be sold to the public at the Fiesta City Cafe.

Along with Frontier Fiesta activities, a track meet, sand volleyball tournament and a Miss Frontier Fiesta beauty pageant will also be held. Other entertainment includes bands, a step show and a Good News Gospel Choir performance.

Frontier Fiesta began in 1940 and lasted until 1960. The festival became nationally known as one of the "greatest college shows on earth" as described by LIFE magazine in 1959.

With proceeds of this year's event going toward improving the M.D. Anderson Library, Brown said organizers want to improve our own community, and in turn help the library move up in the ranking among research libraries. "My own personal goal is to raise $25,000 for the library," Brown said.

Organizers are trying to get the word out about the festival by running ads on television and the radio to attract community members. In 1959 it attracted more than 100,000 people, Brown said.

Hruska said the event offers activities for all participants. "The fun part is just to come out, see friends and share in a community sense what UH is all about. It is a very positive atmosphere," he said.

FOOTBALL PLAYERS BLAST PROGRAM

Medical treatment, equipment present players with problems

by Dai Huynh

Unfair and shabby treatments of UH football players has caused plummeting morale among team members, several players said.

Former offensive guard Jeff Tait said many junior college transfers have been forced to sleep on the floor this spring because of inadequate accommodations.

"They had to sleep on the floor for a couple of weeks. Not just a couple of days, but a couple of weeks," he said.

One of the transfers was seriously thinking about leaving UH for another university because he had to move four times in two weeks while attending classes, Tait added.

A former coach, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, "(Head coach) John Jenkins would tell you anything to get you here and if you had to sleep on the floors -- that wasn't any big deal.

"It happens every semester. That's nothing new. That's just as natural as there is school," said the coach, who worked under Jenkins. "These young men shouldn't be subjected to this in their college experiences."

Athletics Administrative Assistant Jack Hurlbut said, "The coaching staff wanted them to stay at Cougar Place, but there weren't any rooms available. So we temporarily put them in Cambridge Oaks, and those rooms have beds for everybody, and if anybody slept on the floor it was their own fault.

"Some of them did move from one room to another. But they were moved into their own room within two weeks."

Several players complained about the hassles they go through when they ask for equipment.

Former defensive back Stephen Harris said, "It gets to a point where you get mad. The equipment people (those who distribute socks, shoes and other necessities) don't want to give you anything unless you go straight to Jenkins.

"I don't feel like you should have to go to the head coach just to get some equipment."

A former offensive lineman, who asked for anonymity, said, "You learn real quick that if you want something, you steal it."

The player recalls several incidents when he had to sneak in to the equipment room to steal a pair of socks. "It was a nickle-and-dime situation, but it wasn't worth the hassle to ask for a pair of socks," he said. "Asking for equipment was like pulling teeth."

Freddie Gilbert, the nation's leading receiver in 1991, said, "We almost have to beg for anything we want over there."

In response, Jenkins said the first thing he did when he was put in charge was to hire an equipment manager who would be sensitive to all football players' needs.

"I told him and the staff that I did not want ... never ever want, an incident where one young man would come in and state that he hasn't been treated fairly."

Interim Athletic Director Billy McGillis said, "We have very stringent control in the issue of equipment. The equipments are very expensive."

Another complaint players have is the poor medical attention they received when injured.

A former player, who asked to remain anonymous, recalled the time when he received a serious facial injury.

"I was bleeding, and the trainer, all he did was put ice on (the injury) and put some gauze to stop the bleeding. He also tried to shift it back into place, but it was too painful and I told him to leave it alone," he said.

He was then driven home and given some pain killers. "I knew I wasn't given the medical attention I needed, but I didn't know what to do," the former defensive lineman said.

When he got home the pain was so severe, he called his aunt to take him to the hospital. "The doctor told me I had a facial fracture, and I had to have surgery. The doctor said if the bone was pushed back any further I would've been dead," he said.

A current player, who also asked for anonymity, said, "I hurt my back during practice. All they did was put some Ben-Gay on my back.

"It didn't help at all. All it did was burn me so bad that I forgot about the pain. I went out and practiced again and it made the condition worse."

The idea of college football as a business is not a new revelation, but a number of players said they are tired of being treated like commodities rather than student-athletes.

Former inside receiver Tracy Good said, "It's not a sport any more. It's a business. And when that happens, the players don't want to play anymore.

"It takes the life out of the game. It takes the fun out, and that's what the game is about. If you're not having fun, there's no way you're going to have any enthusiasm to get out there and play to win the game."

According to former inside receiver Tim Woods, Jenkins tried to motivate the players by inserting "pornographic" material into training tapes.

"They showed a naked woman lifting weights and another time, a girl walking naked across the room," said Tait, who recalled at least three instances of material being shown that deviated from routine training tapes.

Mouton confirmed the insertion of such material. "Yes, we did see it," he said.

These techniques didn't seem to boost morale. Some players said the fierce competition for positions has eroded the team's unity and threatened its success.

"Players in the same positions are told that they would start," Woods said. "This pits them against one another. This is the last thing you need. There needs to be camaraderie."

A current defensive lineman, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution, said, "There's a lack of unity within the team. Coach Jenkins induces competition among the players, when he should be promoting unity. How can you win games if you're not united?"

Woods said, "One time or another, everyone is told they're going to play, everyone is told they're going to start. And when you don't, it destroys your drive."

A defensive back, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, said, "So many people are scared to talk because they know Jenkins will go behind their back and talk bad about them. Jenkins will black-ball them.

"The football program don't care about us. They take your will away. They break your spirit. You forget why you're here."

As far as Jenkins is concerned, the team's morale has never been stronger.

"I think it's great. It's better than it has ever been. As a matter of fact, going on seven years, the method of off-season training, the disposition of these young men -- this is the best I've ever seen (morale)."

In response to the allegations made by football players in Wednesday's Daily Cougar article concerning NCAA violations, McGillis said, "The University of Houston has a very serious commitment to operating its athletic program with the highest degree of integrity and within all Southwest Conference and NCAA rules and regulations. I believe our football program has been in compliance with the NCAA practice regulations; however, I do intend to review this matter carefully."