COLLEGES CANCEL SOME SUMMER CLASSES

by Kristine Fahrenholz

The University of Houston's budget cuts will affect thousands of students enrolled for summer classes -- mainly freshmen and sophomores in the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communications.

Mario Lucchesi in the Office of Records and Registration said the cuts will affect about 18,000 students who priority registered for summer classes.

Because of budget cutbacks, $5 million must be returned to the state, forcing some of the colleges to cut already-scheduled summer courses.

HFAC will reduce summer school courses by one-fourth, Dean Lawrence Curry said. That means courses in HFAC may be cut down to 10 or possibly to seven sections from 15, he said.

"Students who registered for a course that was cut will get a fee bill in the mail that says the course is closed, but if we (HFAC) get additional funds, then those sections may not be closed," Curry said.

However, because receiving additional funds is an unlikely situation, Curry advised students to do some shopping during add/drop.

A listing of HFAC omitted sections will be disclosed Monday and published in The Daily Cougar Tuesday.

Eleven sections will be closed in the College of Social Sciences, including courses in anthropology, economics, political science and sociology.

The College of Architecture will not suffer any summer school cuts, despite $26,000 that must be returned.

"Our goal is to keep summer school courses in place," said Dean Robert Timme. In some cases, he added, the courses will remain the same, but the instructors may be different.

The College of Education and the Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management will have no cuts because both colleges cut classes before the course schedules were printed.

"There were some courses we didn't offer intentionally because of the summer budget," Academic Affairs Associate Dean Allen Warner said.

The Graduate School of Social Work, the College of Optometry, the Law Center and the College of Pharmacy also won't cut courses.

The College of Optometry can't cut summer courses because optometry students are on a year-round professional program, Dean Jerald Strickland said.

The College of Engineering has to return $147,000, but Dean Roger Eichhorn said it is uncertain if any courses will be cut until the first week in May, when payrolls come out.

Because there are no courses listed under the Honors College, it will be up to the various departments that offer honors classes to decide what will be cut.

The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and the College of Technology were unavailable for comment as to which, if any, courses are to be cut from the summer schedule.

*******************************************************

ATHLETICS MAY GET FUNDED THROUGH SEPARATE FEE

by Karen Snelling

In the near future, athletics may receive a dedicated fee instead of money taken directly from student fees.

The Student Fee Advisory Committee will vote later in the semester on a proposal giving athletics a dedicated fee of $34 and lowering student service fees to $63 from the current $96. SFAC is an advisory group that recommends how student fees should be distributed to UH service groups.

This proposal won't change the amount of student fees, said Rodger Peters, SFAC chairman. Instead, students would pay a separate athletic fee and a lowered service fee, he said.

Athletics automatically receives 35 percent of student fees. The University Center Fee Referendum and Health Center Fee Agreement mandate that no one unit can receive more than 35 percent of student service fees.

The UH administration has determined this to mean athletics will receive the maximum 35 percent of student fees.

As a result of the set percentage, every time the student fees go up athletics gets more money, Peters said. "(With a dedicated fee), athletics would have to work more closely with students because they would have to ask SFAC for additional money they needed," he said.

Another benefit the proposal provides is an athletic coupon book for all students, not just those taking eight or more hours, Peters said. "This means possibly more audience participation at games," he said.

If SFAC votes to accept the dedicated fee, the committee will present the proposal to the UH administration, the Athletic Department and the Students' Association.

The final decision would rest with students, who would vote on the fee in a referendum next fall. If approved, the fee would take effect in the fall of 1995.

Athletics takes the biggest bite out of student fees, followed by the UC (11.7 percent), Counseling and Testing (10.2 percent) and Career Planning and Placement (7 percent). The other 20 groups receiving money get 5.1 percent or less.

"Essentially, SFAC makes up 26 percent of the University Center budget," UC Director John Lee said. The rest of the UC budget comes from a UC student fee and self-generated revenue, he said.

The UC budget mainly pays utilities, maintenance and operating expenses and the salaries of approximately 50 employees, Lee said.

The Career Planning and Placement Center gets about 90 percent of its budget from student fees; the rest comes from state money, federal grants and self-generated revenue, said David Small, assistant vice president for Student Services.

The placement center uses most of its budget to support campus recruitment for alumni, and employment services, such as JOBANK, for students, Small said.

FRONTIER FIESTA INVITATIONAL TRACK AND FIELD MEET

Houston sprinters Sam Jefferson and Michele Collins ran to new heights at the Frontier Fiesta Invitational held Saturday at Robertson Stadium.

Jefferson ran a 10.13 in the 100 meters. It was the fastest time recorded in the 100 in the Southwest Conference this season. That time qualifies Jefferson for the NCAA championships

Jefferson, the defending SWC champion, also dominated in the 200 meters with a personal best of 20.54.

Collins also qualified for the NCAA championships with an 11.41 in the 100 meters. Collins helped the Lady Cougars win the 4X400 meter relays with a time of 3:39.69.

Both the men and women track teams dominated the event, in which five schools participated.

The men scored 95 points, second-place Rice finished with 31. The women finished with 80 points, second-place Wisconsin scored 76.

HORNED FROGS LEAP PAST COUGARS, TAKE 2-OF-3 IN WEEKEND SWC SERIES

Forth Worth, Texas -- Texas Christian split a doubleheader with Houston Saturday, finishing the three-game series with two victories.

The Cougars won the first game, 7-5, but lost the second game, 9-6. The Horned Frogs won Friday's game, 7-2.

Houston's record falls to 28-19 overall and 3-12 in the Southwest Conference. The Horned Frogs move to 30-18 overall and 3-9 in the SWC.

Freshman pitcher Jeremy Tyson pitched his third consecutive complete game victory in the first game for the Cougars. Tyson's record is 4-3. TCU's Reid Ryan, 6-4, took the loss.

Houston's Ricky Freeman was 3-for-4 with two RBIs, a double and a run scored. Phil Lewis was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and two RBIs

TCU's Galvin Millay was 3-for-3 with a home run, two RBIs and a run scored. Adam Robson was 3-for-4 with a home run.

In the second game, Houston starter Brett Jones took the loss, and his record dropped to 3-3. Jeff Baker's record improved to 2-1 for the Horned Frogs.

For the Cougars, Shane Buteaux was 3-for-6 with a run scored and three RBIs. Lewis was 2-for-4 with two RBIs

Shawn Stanek was 3-for-4 with two runs scored, and Millay hit a grand slam for TCU.

In Friday's game, a two-run Horned Frog sixth inning erased a one-run Houston lead and provided Kelly Johns, 4-3, with the cushion to pitch his fourth complete game of the season and pick up his second SWC victory.

Jeff Wright, 4-4, took the loss for Houston. Lewis, who went 2-for-3, was the only Cougar with multiple hits.

COUGAR WINS BEST PAPER, SEVEN OTHER AWARDS

Compiled from staff reports

While the Cougar football and basketball teams may have fallen short of major tournament bids this year, UH's student newspaper has advanced to national competition.

The Society of Professional Journalists, Region 8, named The Daily Cougar "Best Daily Student Newspaper" of 1992 in its Mark of Excellence awards held Saturday.

As the best of 65 Texas and Oklahoma daily student papers, the Cougar will now compete with winning papers from other regions from across the nation. SPJ Region 8 schools include the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Southern Methodist University and Baylor University.

The Cougar placed in all seven writing and editorial cartooning categories. The awards are:

• Spot news  First place to staff writer Deborah Hensel; third place to then-staff writer Michael D. Oeser

• In-depth reporting  Third place to staff writers Debbie Housel and Crosby King

• Feature writing  First place to staff writer Deborah Hensel

• Editorial writing  Third place to Editor in Chief Michael D. Oeser

• Editorial cartooning  Third place to staff cartoonist Travis Baker

• Column writing  Third place to Shane Patrick Boyle

ENTERTAIN ME

A weekly calendar of student-oriented activities

4/19 Monday

Deadline for submitting original and two copies of approved thesis or dissertation for binding

Communication Skills Workshop

-1 p.m. in the Social Work Building, Room 321-A

-Admission is free

-For more information, call 743-5436

4/20 Tuesday

Campus Recruitment Workshop

-Presented by the Career Planning and Placement Center

-1 p.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106

-Admission is free

4/21 Wednesday

Relaxation Techniques Workshop

-11 a.m. -12 p.m. in the Social Work Building, Room 321-A

-Admission is free

Campus Recruitment Workshop

-3 p.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106

4/22 Thursday

CBA Industry Cluster Network

"The Fine Art of Negotiating"

-2:20 - 4 p.m. in Melcher Hall, Room 213

-Open to UH students, faculty & staff

-Admission is free

4/23 Friday

Houston International Festival

-Opening Ceremonies

-Speakers & entertainers kick off the 1993 festival

-11:30 a.m. at City Hall Plaza, 901 Bagby St.

-For more information, call 654-8808

-Admission is free

CANADIAN EXPORT STRUGGLES FOR SUCCESS

by Rebecca McPhail

The border between the United States and Canada is, in some areas, simply a bridge-length car ride. Yet, few bands have been able to successfully cross the barrier.

The United States is notoriously unfriendly to their northern neighbor's musical exports. Only a few Canadians (k.d. lang and Bryan Adams for example) have been able to slip through and land on the American charts.

The Tragically Hip is one of those unfortunate bands caught in bi-country limbo. Although they draw stadium-sized crowds in their native Ontario, The Tragically Hip has been patiently waiting for their American break since the band's inception in 1984.

The band is hoping its third release,<I>Fully Completely<P>, will be the charm.

"We don't expect a number one hit," said guitarist Paul Langlois, "but we're hoping it does a little better."

Apparently the entire band shares Langlois' diminished expectations.

"We've never been optimists," Langlois said. "We sort of look at the down side. I think it helps keep us together."

The band members -- singer Gordon Downie, guitarists Langlois and Bobby Baker, bassist Gord Sinclair and drummer Johnny Fay -- have known each other since their pre-high school days. Unlike some bands, however, the close quarters haven't seemed to caused friction between the members.

"We're all from small towns, we all went to the same high school so if we weren't in this band we'd probably hang out together anyway," Langlois said.

"If we ever have trouble writing songs we'll know. Besides, we're too old for pro sports."

Currently on tour in the United States, the band is playing in substantially smaller venues than their usual Canadian stops.

"We don't really have a preference," Langlois said. "We can have as good a time in a club as an arena. It's nice that we have different sizes of venues. It keeps us adaptable."

In spite of their lack of superstardom, the band is satisfied with their current status.

"We just sort of fell into the business and found that it was going pretty well," Langlois said.

"We don't expect to become millionaires, but we do expect to be able to make records whenever we want. All in all, we're a pretty satisfied group of young men."

PLAYERS FEARS KEEP THEM QUIET

Compiled from staff reports

Former UH football player Tim Woods, who spoke out about wrongdoings in the program, said he will make no further comment because of an incident Thursday night.

Woods has talked out about mistreatments of walk-ons and the team exceeding NCAA limits on practice hours. Although he would not comment on the incident, he said it was something that doesn't occur everyday.

In a telephone conversation with The Daily Cougar Thursday, Woods said, "I'm scared, I mean I'm really scared. I never thought it would go this far."

Woods added he has no regrets about coming forward, but now, because of Thursday's incident, he's afraid for his life.

A current football player, who asked for anonymity because he has fears of repercussions, said some players were asked by head coach John Jenkins to back up his story about practicing less than 20 hours a week.

"Jenkins took the senior players into his office and asked them to back up his story," he said. The senior players agreed to go along with Jenkins, the defensive lineman added.

"Half of the people (players) want him (Jenkins) to go, but the seniors want him to stay because they only have one year left to play. And they don't want the school to get the death penalty," he said, referring to the harshest judgement the NCAA can give a school.

The current football player added that the team is divided right now because half of the players want to come forward with what they believe is the truth, but they feel threatened.

"Because if you end up talking, you won't play (football)." he said.

Another player said his own allegations could not be proven. Former linebacker Jeff Tait said he does not have any documented proof that the team actually practiced for more than 20 hours a week.

Furthermore, Tait said he doesn't define the film splices of naked women in training tapes shown to the players by Jenkins as "pornography."

The spliced films did not offend him, although it did others, he added.

FINAL 4 NARROWED TO ONE: CARR BECOMES NEW AD

The University of Houston finally has a new athletic director.

Five months after conducting a nationwide search for Rudy Davalos' replacement, UH President James Pickering appointed Bill Carr as Houston's next AD Friday.

Carr, 47, is president of Sports Resources Group Inc. of Charlotte, N.C., an executive search firm for college athletics. He was not in town Friday but reached agreement with Pickering by phone.

"I feel a great sense of excitement in helping lead this program to its full potential," said Carr, who has yet to sign a contract. "I have great sources of knowledge and creativity that I've developed over the last four years helping other people with their problems."

Carr, a former AD at Florida from 1979-86 and one of four finalists for the AD position, was on campus last week with Iowa State AD Max Urick, who was also considered a front-runner for the job, for a second round of interviews. Houston attorney Ed Brooks and Victoria superintendent of schools Robert Brezina were the other finalists.

The announcement of the new AD was scheduled to take place Tuesday, but fearing a leak to the media, Pickering made the announcement Friday. Carr will be in Houston Tuesday for his first official press conference as UH athletic director.

Upon his arrival, Carr will be entering an Athletic Department embroiled in controversy.

The Daily Cougar last week ran a series of articles in which former and current football players accused head coach John Jenkins of practice time violations, a secondary NCAA rule infringement.

Jenkins has vehemently denied the accusations, but Pickering said Carr and Bill McGillis, who assumed the role of interim AD after Davalos left for the AD post at New Mexico, will conduct an investigation.

"If it's in violation, I'm very concerned," Pickering said. "I don't care if it's primary or secondary. Any time you're a public institution and there are charges made of impropriety, it tarnishes your image. It tends to happen at large institutions.

"That's the problem with sports. They tend to get more attention than the other things that happen at a university," said Pickering.

From his home in Charlotte, Carr said he never expected his first day on the job to include questions of NCAA violations, but he's not surprised.

"The more you work in intercollegiate athletics, you should know not to be surprised by anything that might happen," he said. "We have to determine what is reality in this situation."