COACH ALLEGES MORE NCAA VIOLATIONS

by Dai Huynh

A football coach, recently fired by Jenkins, claims the UH football program has used improper and illegal recruiting procedures.

Inside receivers coach Steve Staggs, whose contract will not be renewed, said head coach John Jenkins paid for a recruit's summer classes at Houston Community College in 1988 in order to encourage the student to eventually play for UH.

The student-athlete, who never attended UH or played for the Cougars, took one history and two psychology classes that totaled $633.00. Jenkins paid cash for the bill, said Staggs, who was Jenkins' graduate assistant coach at the time.

According to NCAA rules, a coach can't provide any type of financial assistance to a prospective player.

Staggs said he assisted Jenkins in leading the recruit to believe he had received financial aid from HCC.

At Jenkins' order, Staggs said he falsified the junior college transfer's HCC fee bill. To make the student believe financial aid covered his expenses, Staggs said he substituted a number code for the word "cash" so the student wouldn't know he "was being fooled."

"Jenkins would go out and get a student-athlete who was not eligible academically to go to the University of Houston. He was not admissible because he was short several hours from qualifying," Staggs said. "So John Jenkins would pay for this kid's education at Houston Community College."

Staggs said this case is not isolated. "A lot of players were told they (would have) scholarships when they didn't."

He said when the players got to UH and found out they weren't really going to receive a scholarship "they came in here crying. They cried when they figured out what happened to them."

Another measure used to recruit players is altering game statistics, claimed Staggs.

"Jenkins would have me come in at four o'clock in the morning to read the newspapers, cut all the articles out and then alter any statistics that might not be beneficial to his recruiting purposes," Staggs said.

"He would have me change those statistics, put that altered newspaper on the copy machine, make copies of it and send (the altered copies) to recruits so they don't get the real picture, but rather they'd get an altered and misleading picture," he said.

Staggs also confirmed players' claims that the team has practiced more than the NCAA's 20-hours-a-week limit. He provided The Daily Cougar with several documents outlining instances when the team practiced between 22 and 25 hours a week.during the Tulsa and Illinois games in the 1992 season.

Although the team didn't practice over the limit every week, "we did it the majority of the time," he said.

In addition to practices on the field and afternoon meetings, Jenkins also required players to attend mandatory 30-minute breakfasts. This is one reason the team went over 20 hours, Staggs said.

"Mandatory breakfast checks for academic purposes is a farce," he said. "It's mandatory breakfast so Jenkins could have himself another football meeting, with all the position coaches sitting around with their positional players to talk about football. That's what John Jenkins wanted us to do. That's what he told us coaches to do. That's why he required all the coaches to be there."

Staggs recounted several instances when the coaches would look at each other and ask, "Can you believe this (about the mandatory breakfasts)? We're going to get in trouble."

"If these meetings were for academic purposes then why did they stop after football season?" Staggs asked.

Former superback Lawrence Mouton, who said he was one of the players promised a scholarship, confirmed that players were required to attend breakfast meetings last season. Mouton never received a scholarship.

A former coach, who declined to be identified, said the purpose of the breakfasts was to get the players up so they would attend their classes. However, there were instances when football practice film footages were shown during breakfast, he added.

Several players also alleged the team was forced to hold mandatory summer practices. Staggs provided The Daily Cougar with Jenkins records of players' summer workout attendance from 1987-92.

"These kids knew that if they didn't show up for practice during the summer there was a penalty. And if they didn't show up, coach Jenkins would get their positional coaches to get them out of the dorms and tell them to get to practice," Staggs said.

Jenkins forced the coaches to ride around the practice field with him in a car to make sure the players were practicing and to correct them, Staggs said. "And after practice was over with, he would talk to them (about) what they were doing wrong or right," he said.

"I had my personal car, and it had tinted windows, and he liked to get in that because he thought no one could see him. And of course, he would take his binoculars," Staggs said. "I went with him about three or four times."

The anonymous coach, who worked one year under Jenkins, said the summer workouts were not mandatory. But if players did not attend the practices, the chances of playing or starting during the football season were lessened, he added.

According to NCAA bylaws, it is illegal to hold mandatory summer practices.

In a local station broadcast last night, Jenkins said Staggs' allegations are false, and he's out to ruin the university.

The Daily Cougar made several attempts to contact Jenkins, but he did not return the phone calls.

In 1990, Robert Smith, Staggs' lawyer, contacted the NCAA to inform them of the violations. However, Staggs said he did not pursue it at that time because he was afraid for his career.

Staggs said he is coming forward with the allegations because "I want to be separated from this kind of activity. I want to be known for doing things by the rules."

In response to allegations made against Jenkins, UH's new athletic director, William Carr, said at a press conference Tuesday morning, "I want to become aware with everything that's happening in the football situation and all the details that surround it so we can address that.

"Coach Jenkins and I will be talking this afternoon (Tuesday). I'll be talking with the team. That simply happens to be the moment's issue that needs to be addressed immediately. So we'll be doing that."

UH is under a 5-year probation until December because former head coach Bill Yeoman paid cash to players in 1988.

Staggs said he has already been contacted by an on-site NCAA investigator and has made himself available to Carr to discuss the allegations.

*******************************************************

STEELE WORKER GOING STRONG

by Donna Gower

Dayna Steele, a disc jockey and the assistant program director for 101 KLOL, first sat in front of a microphone because of a dare.

The then-16-year-old Texas A&M freshman had no idea what she wanted to do in life. But after friends dared her to audition for the college's radio station, she realized that, "deejaying was what I wanted to when I grew up," Steele said at the Women in Communications Inc. meeting Tuesday.

Over a decade and many radio stations later, Steele said that she loves her job. "I get paid to play records, go to concerts and clubs and meet Van Halen and David Bowie," she said. She did not fail to mention that she also "works her butt off."

Steele, a native Houstonian, worked at the college station (WTAW for "watch the Aggies win") only a few months before she was offered her first professional job. A radio station in College Station was in trouble because they had no women employed there. "They needed a woman fast," Steele said. "And I was the only one they knew of with a license."

After eight months, Steele decided she wanted to return to her hometown. A local station, Y94, needed a secretary. Steele lied at the interview that she had no desire to be on the air and that she knew how to type. She was a secretary just three weeks before asking the program director to put her on the air. "He just laughed at me and sent me back to my desk," she said.

However, that evening the nighttime DJ did not show up. The program director called Steele and said she was on.

"I have been on the air since," Steele said with a smile.

Next, she conquered KRBE as the assistant program director and music director. At 19, she was one of the youngest people in radio to hold such positions. Soon after, KRBE changed formats and informed her that, as a woman, she was no longer needed. Steele said she wanted to sue but did not. "I knew that if I sued, I would be labeled a troublemaker in the industry and would never work again," she said.

Instead, she asked 97 Rock to give her a job. They only gave her weekends and eventually told her she was no good. They bought out her contract and sent her on her way.

The next morning, 101 KLOL called and offered her a job.

She has been there 11 years now. She said, "I am fortunate to have worked my entire career in my hometown and I never want to leave."

She left temporarily for about 10 months a few years ago. She called the move her "Bobby Ewing dream sequence."

She had a drama background in high school and college and still wondered what it would be like to act in Hollywood. She went to Los Angeles and auditioned for commercials, television shows and movies. "I soon realized I hated L.A., I hated acting and I hated auditioning. I wanted to go home," Steele said.

So she came back to Houston and got her job back at 101. She also got married.

She reminded the women at the meeting that their careers would be twice as hard because they are women. "You also have to have a sense of humor," she said. "Don't take everything so seriously. If you are successful, there will be things said about you that probably aren't true."

Also speaking at the meeting was Deborah Martin, a 1989 UH graduate who is now the director of promotions for Ticket Master.

Martin told the group, "Everywhere I interviewed, they were glad I had a degree and glad I had taken certain classes, but they were more interested in how much experience I had."

She suggested internships as a way to gain experience before graduation. She also said, "Volunteer work is for free." While this may sound horrible, she said it is necessary to get experience, and most places do not pay their interns.

Martin and Steele both stressed the importance of "Thank You" notes. Steele said, "It shows respect to that person and they will always remember you."

GROUP TRIES TO SAVE SCULPTURES FROM POLLUTION, BIRD DROPPINGS

Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

For the "orphans of the art world," SOS!

People barely notice the stone, wood, metal, ceramic or plastic structures resting outside. Outdoor sculptures are called the orphans of the art world, but they are part of a significant historical and artistic legacy, according to the Texas Historical Commission.

They suffer slow deterioration because of vandalism, bird droppings, pollution and natural disasters, said Hillary Summers, Save Outdoor Sculpture! coordinator with T.H.C.

SOS!, sponsored by the National Museum of American Art and the National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, is the largest cultural volunteer project in the United States dedicated to finding and describing the condition of outdoor sculptures, Summers said.

As many as 25,000 volunteers will identify more than 50,000 sculptures across the country by conducting surveys, she added.

UH sculpture students contributed to the project by writing reports on 28 campus outdoor sculptures, said Dean Ruck, a professor of conservation and restoration.

Sculpture students have also written reports to the Municipal Arts Commission for five city-owned sculptures. Ruck said the students will have recommendations to the city for conservation and restoration of the sculptures. The commission will decide if actual renovation work is to be done, he said.

For the conservation and renovation of 46 sculptures on all UH campuses the UH Art Acquisition Committee has a five-year plan. Nancy Hixon, assistant director of the Blaffer Gallery, says maintenance jobs haven't been done for some of the sculptures since their installation. The conservation is going to cost more than $135,000, Hixon said.

Sculptures may suffer decades of neglect because authorities don't not know who is responsible for them, according to the news release from T.H.C. One important task of the survey will be to answer the question of who has jurisdiction over the work, the commission's news release indicates.

SOS! volunteers will act as catalysts to bring together civic groups, local businesses and private citizens in partnership to ensure preservation and care of outdoor sculptures, Summers said.

At the end of the three-year survey, information will be fed into a database at the National Museum of American Art to create a permanent and comprehensive record of the outdoor sculptures. Local universities and public libraries may have access to the national network in the future, Summers added.

Volunteers, who will be recruited from service clubs, alumni groups and preservation societies, will be instructed by videos and specialists in sculpture, history and conservation, Summers said.

In each state or major metropolitan area SOS! will be coordinated by one or more non-profit organization, Summers added. A modest sum will be awarded to each organization to pay for the cost of participation, she said.

The T.H.C. in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth are participating in the program.

People interested in volunteering may contact Sally Sprout, Houston coordinator for SOS!, at 935-3980 after April 29.

SOS! is funded by major contributions from the Getty Grant Program, the Henry Luce Foundation and the Pew Charitable Trusts. Additional assistance was provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, Ogilvy Adams & Rinehart Inc., the Contributing Membership of the Smithsonian National Associates Program and members of its Board.

AD DONS COUGAR RED

UH President James Pickering proclaimed Tuesday "Bill Carr Day" after the former Florida athletic director officially assumed the duties of athletic director.

"I wanted somebody with great personal integrity, somebody who was committed from the beginning to the concept of the student-athlete," Pickering said, "somebody who had a large record and a good record of experience who knows big universities and big university programs, someone who had the knowledge, the creativity and the ability to build a successful program.

"I believe Bill Carr more than fits the bill."

Carr, 47, takes the place of Rudy Davalos, who became athletic director at the University of New Mexico in November after nearly six years at UH.

As expected, Carr's enthusiasm for the job is high.

"All of a sudden, the primary color in (my family's) wardrobe is red," Carr said. "And I look forward to wearing that red and white with pride."

Some observers questioned if Carr was using Houston as a stepping stone until he could find an opening at a more prominent school, to which he answered, "You won't have to worry about Bill Carr ricocheting off the rock here en route elsewhere. That will not happen."

Southwest Conference Commissioner Steve Hatchell, in town for the announcement, said Carr and Houston are a perfect fit.

"There's nothing you can throw at him that he doesn't have experience in," Hatchell said. "It's a total package. This job is important to him. If people want (the program) to go and get behind him, it will be great."

Carr began his first day as AD with a five-year contract, the terms of which were not disclosed.

But his enthusiasm could mellow in the coming days.

The son of a Texas minister, Carr will need more than prayer and faith to unravel the image problem and possible NCAA violations now facing Houston athletics.

And he may have to deal with the NCAA "death penalty" if new allegations brought against coach John Jenkins and the football program prove to be accurate. (See top story).

"It is my primary task that our coaches are first-rate men and women," said Carr, the president of Sports Resources Group Inc., a college athletics search firm. "I love coaches, I understand coaches, I was a coach. Coaches have a very difficult and demanding task. I understand and respect what they do.

"That doesn't mean I won't place a strong sense of accountability and expectations on our coaches. On the contrary, the coaches will have a hard time playing a con game with me because I understand where they're coming from," he said.

GROUPS DEMAND JENKINS' RESIGNATION

by Deborah Hensel

Allegations that UH head football coach John Jenkins may have violated the campus sexual harassment policy have reached President James Pickering's office in a letter faxed Friday from Law Professor Laura Oren.

Meanwhile, the UH Chapter of the National Organization for Women said it would issue a memo today to Pickering and to new Athletic Director Bill Carr demanding Jenkins be fired.

Oren, a member of UH's Sexual Harassment Policy and Procedures Implementation Committee, said her letter compares Jenkins' use of pin-up photos during training films to an example of harassment used in sensitivity workshops taught by Counseling and Testing Services.

The comparable example of a biology professor holding up a photo of a Playboy bunny during anatomy class is a violation of UH's sexual harassment policy, Oren said.

"This is not ambiguous in my mind," Oren said. "This is clearly hostile-environment sexual haras-sment in my view.

"This was an open and notorious thing that he told the press that he did," Oren said. "As to the things he has admitted -- which clearly constitute sexual harassment -- I would like to see immediate condemnation and the response that this is against policy. Period."

In her letter, Oren expressed regret that a new athletic director was named before the allegations against Jenkins could be addressed.

Oren said her letter was not intended as a formal complaint against Jenkins, but she said a formal complaint is not necessary to trigger the university to investigate.

Although she has talked to Oren, UH Affirmative Action Officer Dorothy Caram said she has not seen the letter and could not comment on whether it would be interpreted as a formal complaint. Pickering was not available for comment.

Raymond Leonard, a psychological counselor who has taught harassment workshops on campus, said he advises instructors not to use sexually oriented materials as visuals.

"That type of material tends to treat people more as sexual objects than as people," Leonard said.

With regard to Jenkins' use of photos of semi-clothed women, Leonard said he would define sexual harassment in terms of the effect it has on the recipient. If none of the football players was offended, it wasn't harassment, he said.

However, Leonard said "third party harassment" is possible. In that instance, an individual who was not present and did not observe the photos interspersed into football training films might still express offense at their use.

UH-NOW's memo to Pickering and Carr states:

"Due to Coach Jenkins' unprofessional training techniques, NOW at UH demands the immediate termination of Jenkins' contract."

Maria Gonzalez, faculty advisor for NOW, said she felt Jenkins' use of pin-up photos was inappropriate, regardless of whether or not they were pornographic.

"He's paid as a professional and he's expected to act as a professional. Sensitivity is a part of that," she said. "We have a coach who is in charge of motivating athletes to success. If his mode of motivation is to show unclothed women, he's failing."

OUTDOOR ART DOES MORE THAN PLEASE THE EYE

by Jena Moreno

When most students see the two giant spools outside of the art building, they may think that the piece is simply part of more than a dozen pieces of artwork that have decorated the campus since Easter weekend.

However, "The Thorn in Our Side," is also meant to do more than decorate the lawn -- it informs students about the national debt.

Students can purchase a toothpick for a dollar from the art office before May 5. Then stu-dents can personalize their toothpick and place it on the spools.

Artist Jean Paul Mercado said, "It's a work in progress and depends on audience participation."

The money raised goes to helping to alleviate the national debt. Mercado will deliver the piece and the money to President Clinton in July. He hopes to wrap the Washington Monument, U.S. Treasury and Capitol with the thread and toothpicks.

Mercado said it's "symbolic of barbed wire." However, he added, "It's more than just symbolic; it's an actual fund-raising (campaign)."

Many of the artists thought that having their pieces exhibited outside seemed to compliment their work.

Sophomore Mark Spiewak said his piece, "Global Chapel," was a "fusion of nature with technology. I want it to be affected by nature, to have that history."

Spiewak's piece has to do with the destruction human lifestyles have made on nature because of technology.

Graduate student Tom Kennedy also believes that the outdoor scenario adds to his sculpture. His piece, "Judge Height, Not Depth," has a dozen judges' heads of different shapes and sizes hanging from the branches of a willow tree. The thirteenth branch is bare.

"It means that if you're not using your head you can hang it here," said Kennedy.

Troy Engel's statue is a remake of Bernini's statue of St. Theresa. His is entitiled "Ecstasy of St. Theresa."

Engel's statue of St. Theresa appears rusted because he poured myriatic acid on it. "It's not supposed to be pristine. It has an industrial touch."

The artwork will be exhibited on campus through May 5. Many students will be unhappy to see some of the pieces go, especially the giant hammock that many students have grown fond of napping on in between classes.

Senior Darren Hassin said, "A lot of people mistrust art, but this has given art to the average person, especially the interactive pieces."

The artwork was sponsored by the Public Art Seminar class taught by Paul Kittelson and Carter Ernst. Part of the requirements for the class was an outdoor sculpture installation.

Ernst said, "The purpose was to give the students an idea of what you have to deal with in the outside world to get their artwork approved."

SA ATTACKS TOWING

In the tradition of the 29th administration, Students' Associa-tion executives and senators attacked unfair parking rules and the lack of public knowledge about student fees.

Three SA bills ask that tickets be issued before a car is towed, that towing signs be posted at each university entrance and that a car be unhooked from the tow truck if the driver arrives before the illegally parked vehicle is towed away.

The two most controversial bills are both authored by Director of External Affairs Mitch Rhodes, and sponsored by recently elected Speaker of the Senate Coy Wheeler.

The first bill states that officers give tickets while the car is being towed and those same officers are seen driving around in privately contracted tow trucks. The bill suggests the university is trying to tow as many cars as possible rather than simply avoiding problems caused by wrongly parked vehicles.

"Until a car is ticketed it is not eligible to be towed. Towing before ticketing is like a police officer coming to your house, arresting you and then getting the permit later," said Rhodes.

The second bill says that a driver who returns to the car while it is still being hooked should be charged less and have the car released. Rhodes said his car has not been towed and this is not a personal problem, but he believes the driver can eliminate the problem caused by the illegally parked car by returning to the scene before it is towed.

"They would still be penalized. They would pay $35 instead of $65 or $70. In the real world tow trucks will let you pay less if you get there while they're towing," Rhodes said.

Student awareness of fee spending was encouraged by senator Justin McMurtry in another senate bill. The bill asks the senate to support the Student Fee Advisory Committee in separating funds for athletics and giving that department its own budget, a dedicated athletics fee.

"This would achieve the desirable results of raising awareness among students of the magnitude of their direct financial support of the athletics program," said McMurtry.

The bill said the athletics department would be held more accountable to students once it was made clear what a large amount of student fees it accumulated.

UH STUDENTS TACKLE 5TH WARD

by Mindi King

Andrew Robinson, 11, is learning about the respiratory system from Roxanne Neloms, a UH volunteer, in a quiet upstairs room. Eight more volunteers chat outside the chapel in the Fifth Ward, but there are no other children present.

Neloms and other UH volunteers are members of a new tutoring program for elementary students living in the Fifth Ward, however, few students have attended the first four sessions.

More than 500 fliers were distributed door to door in the ward by UH volunteers, notifying residents of the new program that began on March 10, a volunteer said.

Nine tutors and an average of four students have attended the first four sessions that are held every Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Payne Chapel African Methodist Episcopal, located in the ward.

Members of the chapel's college ministry and the UH African-American Studies Program conduct the tutoring sessions and are optimistic despite the slow start, said Jennifer Corfman, a UH freshman and coordinator of the tutoring program.

"Parents aren't as involved with their children's education as they should be," she said, "so we are trying to reach parents by fliers, and through their children."

In addition to the fliers, letters have been sent to all of the public elementary and middle schools in the Fifth Ward notifying them of the new program, and plans are being made for the volunteers to visit the schools and talk with parents door to door, with the goal of increasing attendance, she said. The volunteers also offer transportation and a snack for the students after each tutoring session as an incentive for parents and their children, she said.

"This is an effort to lift-up the Fifth Ward -- starting with the youth," she said.

"We are hoping for a higher retention rate of African-American students continuing their education, with the ultimate goal of their not only finishing high school but continuing on to college," she said.

The university volunteers act as positive role models for young students living in the ward, Corfman added.

The college ministry was formed in January, and Morris Graves, associate director of African-American Studies, originated the idea of tutoring, she said.

Graves said, "The students who are tutoring are really growing and beginning to understand how to apply theories in exciting new ways to reach these kids."

The program is very new, and every effort is going to be made to notify students and their parents that this is a "sincere an honest effort" to make young people aware of the opportunities that are available through education, he said.

The program is also a good way for African American Studies to reach out to the community, he added.

DeMetricia Lankford, a UH freshman and assistant coordinator of the tutoring program, said any UH student who is interested in volunteering two hours each Wednesday night is welcome.

Roxanne Neloms, a freshman at UH, is not a member of the college ministry, but said she volunteers her time because the students "need support from the outside."

"Tutoring is good for young students who have no motivation," she said. "We are their motivation."

Neloms tutored Andrew Robinson at the fourth session on April 14. Robinson is a sixth-grader at Flemming Middle School and has attended all four tutoring sessions.

"I improved in math from a 68 to a 71 percent in one week," Robinson said, as he worked with Neloms on a science report for an upcoming science fair.

"If he believes in himself, he will go far," Neloms said, adding the personal satisfaction is seeing improvements each week in the students.

Robinson said his mother found a flier on her mailbox a week before the first tutoring session, and has brought him to the chapel each week. He said he likes to attend the sessions because his grades are improving and because "it's fun." He also brought two of his friends to a previous session.

Graves said the volunteers plan to continue their recruiting efforts over the summer to increase the number of youth attending in the fall. By then tutoring sessions will be held in a new Family Life Center that is to be completed across the street from the chapel.

Corfman said the "ultimate goal" of the program is to eventually involve Fifth Ward junior high and high school students in the tutoring process by the end of next fall.

COUNCIL EXAMINES POLICE DEPARTMENT

by Kristine Fahrenholz

The treatment of minorities by UHPD and disposal of hazardous wastes fired up discussions among University Planning and Policy members at the UPPC meeting Monday.

The UPPC continued reviewing the non-academic components of the university Monday as part of the restructuring of UH.

The recommendations made by the UPPC are then sent to Acting Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs Glenn Aumann.

In a written recommendation, the subcommittee reporting on the UH Police Department said: "This department has made sincere efforts to alleviate racial tensions and to provide equitable treatment. However, the public perception is that some officers are still more likely to stop black and Hispanic males without obvious cause. Even within our small subcommittee, most of the members had witnessed incidents that were disturbing to them. The department should continue its efforts to address this problem."

"This is a problem that's never going to go away," said Judy Myers, assistant to the library director and chairperson of the committee.

However, none of the subcommittee members elaborated on any incidents of unfair treatment to minorities by UHPD.

"We expect them to continue looking out and just keep trying to do better," Myers said.

Dorothy Seafous, office manager of the College of Pharmacy and member of the subcommittee, said that since there was no documentation of any actual incidents, the report was unsubstantiated.

"Many people don't tell about incidents such as unfair treatment to the proper people," said.

The final decision by the UPPC was to delete the second and third sentences and change the last word in the final sentence to "issue," according to David Loshin, assistant dean of the College of Optometry.

George Hess, chief of the UHPD, defended the department: "Facts do not speak as perceptions indicate."

"I am sickened by the perceptions of the committee having that perception and I hope the committee will amend this," he continued.

"If they have witnessed an incident when they saw a black or Hispanic being picked up, then they should bring that issue forward," he said.

"To make that statement and put it into writing; it's crazy," he added.

Although the recommendation deleted certain phrases, Hess said "it is unfair and is still unfair."

The subcommittee reviewing the Human Resources Department said one major problem in safety is the disposal of hazardous waste on campus.

The Human Resources department includes physical and environmental safety.

"There is a backlog of hazardous waste that has built up over the years," said a representative from the Human Resources Department.

The high cost of disposal of hazardous wastes has made it difficult to maintain federal regulations, according to the department.

"The materials are contained in laboratories," Aumann said. "It is not scattered around the campus."

Financial help from other units was recommended by the subcommittee.

"We (Human Resources) want a hazardous waste surcharge so too much of a substance isn't ordered," said a representative from the Human Resources Department.

The cost of the waste disposal should come from the units generating the waste, either through indirect costs on grants or a surcharge to the department and college, the UPPC recommended.