MORE LESSONS FROM DAD

by Jeff Balke

Great philosophies about life can be found in a myriad of written works, from Fredrick Nietzche to the Bible. None, however, could be as clear and understandable as <I>Life's Little Instruction Book<P>.

Once again, H. Jackson Brown Jr. has compiled a list of thoughts and insights in the second volume of his famous notes to his son.

In the first book, he simply listed helpful hints to his son, Adam, who was entering the University of Tennessee. That list of 511 bits of wisdom became the first <I>Instruction Book<P> published by Brown, who had published two earlier works of observations collected from his father and mother (<I>A Father's Book of Wisdom, P.S. I Love You<P>).

The first installment of instructions from Brown has sold more than five million copies and stayed on The New York Times bestseller list for more than 75 weeks. Kind words from Katie Couric (<I>The Today Show<P>) and Ross Perot, who said the <I>Instruction Book<P> is one of his favorites, have certainly helped bolster support for the collection of helpful hints on life.

Now, Rutledge Hill Press has published "more plaid from dad," referring to the quaint covers of both volumes of the book. Volume two is just as interesting and insightful as the first.

Everything from money to tattoos is covered in the latest installment. The last book left off with number 511, "Call your mother," and volume two continues to number 1028, "Call your dad." In between is an immeasurable amount of wisdom in the form of catchy sayings.

From practical advice like, "Accept a breath mint if someone offers you one," to more lofty aspirations, including, "Never laugh at anyone's dreams" and "Be the first to fight for a just cause," volume two of <I>Life's Little Instruction Book<P> covers an entire gamut of good advice.

The only discrepancy in the book is that some of the instructions don't support one another, especially when the instructions are about individualism. Number 536 urges, "Never be the first to break family tradition," and number 610 extols the virtues of conservative dress by saying, "When uncertain what to wear, a blue blazer, worn with gray wool slacks, a white shirt, and a red-and-blue striped silk tie, is almost always appropriate."

Furthermore, number 971 states, "Never get a tattoo." By contrast, number 633 says, "Do the right thing, regardless of what others think." Number 669 praises individuality by saying, "Be an original. If that means being a little eccentric, so be it," and number 862 says, "Remember that what's right isn't always popular, and what's popular isn't always right."

Volume two also seems to say "don't" much more than volume one. It even says to, "Hang up if someone puts you on hold to take a 'call waiting.' "

There are some extraordinarily wonderful things in this book, however. For instance, number 852 should be put on the walls of every home and office: "Just because you earn a decent wage, don't look down on those who don't. To put things in perspective, consider what would happen to the public good if you didn't do your job for 30 days. Next, consider the consequences if sanitation workers didn't do their jobs for 30 days. Now, whose job is more important?" Important pieces of advice like that make the book a true joy to read.

These "suggestions, observations and reminders on how to live a happy and rewarding life," truly do inspire. How could something like number 857 not be considered inspirational? "Call a nursing home or retirement center and ask for a list of the residents who seldom get mail or visitors. Send them a card several times a year. Sign it, 'Someone who thinks you are very special.' "

*******************************************************

STUDENTS TACKLE TOUGH KID PROBLEMS

by Christine Law

The needs of "at-risk" public school children in the Houston area will be addressed in the near future by UH education and social work students.

The students will be participating in the National Network of Graduate Schools of Education and Social Work: Supporting Children and Families in Public Schools. The effort is intended to help teachers and social workers to collaborate on problems faced by the children, said Fran Howell, UH Media Relations Specialist.

"The goal of the network is to provide our teacher education students with social work insights and experiences, while involving social work students more in public schools," said Karen Haynes, dean of the UH School of Social Work.

The network has been established partially in response to the fact, given by the Texas Education Agency that Texas has the fourth highest drop-out rate in the nation and Houston has the highest rate in the state.

Social work students who are interested in placement, and those with a background in working with children will be involved, Haynes said.

"A special challenge is posed by the growing number of school-age children from low-income, immigrant families," according to a press statement from Judith Walker de Felix, acting dean of the UH College of Education.

She added that children with limited English proficiency are cited in current educational literature as some of the most at-risk for dropping out of school.

Noting the importance of counseling and guidance for these children, Haynes said that the children who are trying to work only on their academic performance will not necessarily achieve better academic performance.

The program will be adapted to benefit children and families from diverse cultural backgrounds. For instance, the program will be administered in Spanish as well as English.

Further attempts to aid "at-risk" school children in the area include pilot social work awareness sessions for student teachers this summer, said Walker de Felix.

The network will work in conjunction with Communities in Schools Houston (CIS), a private, non-profit organization started in 1979 to battle truancy and to aid students at risk of dropping out of school.

BIG SUGAR EATERS, OBESE PEOPLE AT RISK FOR DIABETES

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

Nearly one in every 20 North Americans has diabetes.

Diabetes is defined as a chronic disease that impairs the body's ability to use food properly.

Who is at risk for diabetes? "People who have a family history of diabetes are at risk," said Dr. John C. Joe, chief of the medical staff at UH's Health Clinic.

Obesity, lack of exercise and a diet high in sugar are other risk factors that can lead to diabetes. Excessive or prolonged alcohol consumption can affect the pancreas and the liver and that can also lead to diabetes, Joe said.

Approximately 10 to 15 UH students have been diagnosed with diabetes. Joe said most diabetic students probably have their own doctors and that may account for the small number of reported cases.

Out of about six million people diagnosed with diabetes, one million are Type I and five million are Type II.

Type I (insulin dependent or juvenile) diabetes is when an individual's pancreas produces very little or no insulin, said Sara Campbell, researcher for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

"Insulin is a hormone necessary to burn sugar and convert it to energy for the cells," she said. "Because the sugar in the blood cannot be used, it builds up in the blood stream even while the body is starved for energy."

However, insulin is not a cure but a means of controlling this disease. "A person with this type of diabetes must take one or more injections of insulin daily to stay alive," Campbell said.

There is no fatality if a person accidentally skips insulin injection one day, so long as there is little or no sugar consumption. If a person takes in excessive sugar without insulin injection, he or she is more likely to go into a reversible coma, Joe said.

"Although the causes for this disease are not entirely known, scientists believe that the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas," Campbell said.

People with Type I diabetes must take one or more insulin injections every day in order to metabolize their food.

Symptoms for Type I diabetes include frequent urination, and in large quantities, excessive thirst, extreme hunger all the time, sudden weight loss, weakness, drowsiness or exhaustion, Campbell said.

In Type II (non-insulin dependent or adult onset) diabetes, the pancreas still produces insulin but for some reason the body is not able to use it effectively, Campbell said.

"In spite of the presence of adequate amounts of insulin, blood glucose levels aren't normal," she said.

Symptoms for Type II diabetes are similar to those of Type I. "Unfortunately Type II also includes itching of the skin and genitals, tingling or numbness in hands or feet and recurring or hard to heal skin, gum or urinary tract, " Campbell said.

Treatment of diabetes aims to maintain a proper balance of insulin and glucose. Controlling diabetes means keeping the level of glucose in the blood as close to normal as possible. "The three elements of diabetes 'control' are food, exercise and insulin," she said.

For treatment of Type I, diabetics must take insulin injections every day to make up for the hormone their bodies don't supply.

"A person can also get a pancreas transplant. If the operation is a success, there is a chance that the individual may not need insulin," Joe said.

"One must be prepared to treat an insulin reaction by carrying a fast acting sugar at all times," Campbell said. "Diabetics need to make sure it's available for them at all times." Examples of fast-acting sugar include orange juice, candy or sugar itself.

Type II diabetes can be controlled through diet and exercise alone. A doctor will create a specific diet and exercise plan depending on the person's age, lifestyle and overall condition, Campbell said.

"We normally try to avoid medication as a treatment," Joe said. "We recommend a lifestyle change such as exercise, a diet plan and control of sugar intake. If that won't bring the sugar level down, the second step is medication."

We will give pills to the patients, which will increase the body sensitivity to the insulin that it has. If the pills will not bring the sugar level down, that is when the patient will have to start insulin injections, Joe said.

"There are cases where oral drugs or insulin injections may be necessary. The key is to determine the right balance of these elements," she said.

Exercise is very important because it helps to control weight and it burns food, reducing the demand on the pancreas to produce insulin.

Diabetes is also the leading cause of new adult blindness in the United States with about 6,000 cases reported each year. "No one knows exactly how diabetes causes damage to the eyes," Campbell said. "But there is no doubt that people with diabetes are at an increased risk of visual impairment, even blindness."

Campbell explains that the longer a person has had diabetes, the greater the risk. "Approximately 90 percent of people who have had diabetes for 15 years or longer will develop proliferative diabetic retinopathy."

Diabetic retinopathy is the most common eye condition related to diabetes. This occurs when the retina is damaged by the deterioration of small blood vessels that supply the retina with vital oxygen and nutrients, Campbell said. "The extent and nature of diabetic retinopathy varies from person to person."

There is increasing hope that diabetes and its problems can be cured. "A pancreas transplant is one of the methods used. There is also research being done to determine the defect in the gene that causes diabetes and to try to reverse it," Joe said.

INTERNATIONAL STREET FESTIVAL

FUN-FILLED EVENT BRINGS FOOD, MUSIC, DANCE

by Meagan McGovern

More than 20 downtown blocks this week will be filled with music, dancing, food and fun as the Houston International Festival gets underway for the 22nd year.

The festival, one of the largest celebrations of the arts and international culture in the United States, will focus on Mexico this year.

During the 10-day period from April 22 through May 2, more than a million people will have crowded into the mid-city area. The festival is recognized as the the City of Houston's official celebration of cultural arts.

Each year, this event honors the arts and culture of a different country, recognizing the different backgrounds of Houston's multi-cultural background. Since 1988, the festival has saluted Australia, France, The United Kingdom, Japan, Spain and the New World.

Performers across the nation and the world join local artists and musicians for this celebration.

Bands will fill the air with the sounds of country, jazz, blues, cajun, zydeco and rock 'n' roll.

Dance, theater and the visual arts will be incorporated to create a colorful, exciting event.

More than 1,800 performing artists will play on eight themed outdoor stages throughout downtown, with continuous performances on weekends and noon concerts on weekdays.

Admission is free.

NEW MAG OFFERS MEN A FRESH PERSPECTIVE

by Karen Snelling

Guys have been freed. They no longer have to hide and read "Young Miss" to get dating advice. Young men now have their own magazine.

"Inside Edge" is a bi-monthly magazine written by students and targeted at 15-to-23 year old men. It covers subjects such as relationships, style, entertainment, and sports.

Aaron Shapiro and Jonathan Hsu, the magazine's publisher and editor-in-chief, are both Harvard undergraduates and came up with the idea last fall.

"Inside Edge" is the first magazine for younger men, Hsu said. Magazines such as "Sassy" and "Teen" generally aim at young female readers, and publications such as "Gentlemen's Quarterly" and "Rolling Stones" focus on men in their late 20s, he said.

"We (young men) have the same interests -- sports, music, women -- but there's no general interest magazine written from our point of view," Hsu said.

At least until now. Since last fall, Hsu and Shapiro have formed their own company called Prime Communications, obtained almost $1 million from private backers and signed a contract with Warner Publisher Services, a Time Warner subsidiary.

Shapiro's internship at "Money Magazine" helped him get Time Warner's attention. Once he presented a prototype to Bob Matthiessen, chief operating officer at Warner Publisher, "Inside Edge" became a reality.

Warner will distribute the first 200,000 copies of "Inside Edge" in the United States, Canada, England and Australia on Tuesday for $2.50 a copy.

Half of the publication deals with social aspects, such as dating, and the other half covers entertainment and sports, Hsu said.

Most of the articles will be written by the magazine's editorial staff of about twenty students, Hsu said. However,"Inside Edge" will accept stories from other students, he said.

"With so many girl magazines, there might as well be one for guys," said Roland Rocha, a UH sophomore. "It might raise a few eyebrows because there are guys interested in the social scene."

Steve Botsford, a senior industrial distribution major, said, "I'd read it for the articles on relationships and sex."

Even women seem to approve of the concept. "It sounds like a good idea. Guys need to read that kind of stuff," said Linda Lawson, a sophomore kinesiology major.

Chris Summers, a senior management major, wasn't interested in the publication. "I don't use magazines to tell me what's cool," he said.

Competition might be tough, said Jessica Plummer, a sophomore pharmacy major. "I wouldn't buy it, and my boyfriend would rather read a magazine about cars instead of relationships," she said.

Teri Arsuaga, a junior pre-pharmacy major, said, "I'd probably buy it because it would be interesting to read what guys are interested in."

LAW STUDENTS TEACH AT LOCAL HIGH SCHOOLS

by Christine Law

University of Houston Law Center students recently taught law to graduating seniors at 15 Houston-area high schools.

The opportunity was made possible through the Law Center's Community Outreach Program, in cooperation with the Houston Bar Auxiliary and the Houston Bar Foundation.

The program, "Now You Are On Your Own," is one of the few outreach programs in the nation, said Sandra Rider Perdue, UH director of communications. It is part of the Law Center's continued effort to use its resources to better the community at large, she said.

The goal of the program is to help students understand everyday law, and it has been designed to emphasize the importance of knowing one's legal rights, Perdue said.

While meeting with the high school students, law students addressed "real world" problems students may be facing, or problems they may encounter once they are on their own, Perdue said. Basic laws were explained that could protect students' rights in those situations, she said.

Some of the topics discussed included problems that could occur with renting an apartment, debt collection, employment, credit and buying a car.

"Since the kids are about to go out on their own, it is important for them to have an idea of what they can and cannot do," said Karen Trostel, a third-year graduate law student who took part in the program.

"It's amazing to me how very little people know about their rights," Trostel said. "I wanted to make sure that these kids realized they now had the responsibility of adults and that people may take advantage of them."

With the way the law profession is set up, it is not easy for people to understand and to find law that is applicable to their problems, said Marcy Rosenberg, a second-year graduate law student who also participated in the program.

Aside from helping the high school students, the program also helps law students by getting them interested in public service, Rosenberg said.

In law school, students may be preoccupied about making money after they graduate, said Rosenberg. She said by working in the program, she could concentrate more on law and its purpose.

The law students had the opportunity to utilize the knowledge they had acquired and aid the community, said Richard Alderman, director of the program and professor of law.

Besides being involved with the program, Alderman has utilized his background in law to help the community by being the "people's lawyer."

Alderman is presently employed at Channel 13, explaining legal rights to viewers. In addition, on Thursday nights at 8 p.m. on Channel 8, Alderman and area attorneys offer legal advice and answer legal questions from the call-in audience.

PARK PARTY PLEASES, PIQUES PATRONS

With its first Billboard Top 40 artist headlining in its almost 10 years of existence, the Perpetual Park Party in Lynn Eusan Park succeeded in entertaining 1,500 to 3,000 people.

The endless event, which lasted from noon to midnight April 23, featured a gyroscope to spin the party-goers out of control, a raffle for a leather jacket and a crawfish boil.

Sponsored in part by the Student Program Board, the event featured alternative rock group L7 and Snow as its headliners and drew students from the University of Texas, Texas Southern University and area high schools.

"We also had a different set-up this year," said Frank San Miguel, the large-stage committee chairman. "There was a closed-off area for those with alcohol. They had to buy drinks in this area, but they also had to drink in that area."

Overall, the blowout was a success.

"It was the biggest Park Party ever and the event was very smooth," said San Miguel. "We were ahead of schedule for most of the show."

After Snow performed "Lonely Monday Morning" and the familiar tune "Informer" the soirée turned sour.

"Snow barely got through one-fourth of the song," San Miguel said. Then things took a turn for the worse.

Before Snow could get into his song, he began complaining about the sound not being loud enough by shouting into his microphone,"Turn the shit up, turn the shit up!" said Ted Hill, a sound board operator for the show.

"We kept trying to tell him that if we turned it up any louder, we'd blow out the speakers," Hill said.

Snow then decided in mid-song to leave the stage. Headed toward his Hilton Hotel room, he cut through the audience instead of using a limousine provided by SPB.

"He went straight through the crowd, but he had been doing that all day long with no problems," San Miguel said.

But his fans weren't so adoring that night.

"A crowd of people began following him and gave him a hard time about cutting the performance short," said San Miguel. "Quite a few people there were also not his biggest fans."

Hill said, "From what I hear, one guy even told him to get his ass back on stage."

San Miguel said the artist was subsequently hit in the head with a bottle. Not knowing who hit him, Snow turned and hit a UT student who is not believed by UHPD to be the person who threw the bottle.

After the altercation, pushing and shoving ensued and Snow rushed backstage. No charges were filed and L7 took the stage, finished their set and the rest of the evening went as planned.

CORN POPPER HELPS OLDER STUDENTS

by Katherine Bui

Some students may find that popcorn and kernels will pay for their tuition in 1993-94.

In September, the Orville Redenbacher's Second Start Program will award $1,000 scholarships to 30 part-time or full-time students who are over 30 years old. The program, in its fourth year, awarded 20 students last year after receiving more than 20,500 applicants.

Matt Spaulding, an assistant account executive of the Orville Redenbacher's company, said, "With a firm belief that it's never too late to get a 'second start' in life, the Second Start Program has helped 45 adults achieve their goals since 1990."

The combination of family and financial security has drawn many adults back to university campuses, Spaulding said.

Applications for the Orville Redenbacher's scholarship will be screened by an independent judging panel consisting of administrators from financial assistance and continuing education. The $1,000 scholarship will be sent to the college and credited to the student's account.

The program will be accepting applications from March 1 to May 1, 1993. Applications are available at UH's Financial Aid and Scholarships Department in E. Cullen. For more information, call Norma Trahan at 743-1010.

STAGGS TO ASSIST NCAA

by Dai Huynh

Former UH assistant football coach Steve Staggs was reassigned Friday to assist in the school's investigation of alleged NCAA rules violation.

Effective immediately, Staggs, a former assistant of head coach John Jenkins, has been reassigned to duties outside the football program and is to report to Compliance Officer Bill McGillis.

UH Athletic Director Bill Carr said in a statement released Friday:

"A detailed description of his assigned duties and responsibilities will follow as soon as possible, but until then, his duties will be to assist Bill (McGillis) in the impending alleged NCAA rules violation investigation and in other matters related to the football program.

"He (Staggs) will have total freedom to speak on this subject. We are all interested in getting to the truth of this matter as soon as possible."

Staggs came forward last week with allegations that Jenkins paid more than $700 in cash for junior-college recruit Harlan Davis' summer-school expenses at Houston Community College in 1988.

Jenkins had denied the allegations.

But in Saturday's Houston Chronicle, Davis, who never played here, said he was warned by one of his former coaches not to attend UH because of "under-the-table or illegal" activities by football coaches.

"I thought everything was legitimate, but it wasn't," Davis said in the Chronicle story. "From what I know, Staggs is telling the truth."

Davis added that he was about to sign a contract with the Houston Oilers.

Other allegations made against the program are:

• Holding improper mandatory summer workouts.

• Forcing players to practice more than the NCAA limit of 20 hours per week.

• Holding practice under dangerous weather conditions.

• Inserting sexually explicit material during film sessions.

In a prepared statement, Jenkins said Staggs' actions reflect a vendetta against Jenkins.

He added, "If I respond publicly to each of the allegations, the public dissemination of my comments only escalates what has turned into an emotionally charged and unfortunate situation.

"I have decided from this point forward not to respond publicly to each and every allegation raised by Staggs, unless directed to do so by (Carr or UH President) James Pickering."

STUDENTS CLEAN UP

by Mindi King

Since December, four UH students have spent their Fridays working with ex-convicts and rehabilitated drug addicts to weather-proof homes in the Third Ward.

Four members of the College of Technology's Students In Construction-Related Industries have volunteered their time and talents to the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church's Energy Savings Project.

The volunteers oversee a crew of 12 men who are approved by the church through an application process. The crew's home-improvement duties include caulking windows and repairing thresholds for elderly church members.

The project, one of 11 in Texas and one of two in Houston, is funded by a state grant that covers the salaries and cost of construction materials.

Myrtice White, a church member and head of the project, said the work not only helps the homeowners, but helps the crew members get their lives back on track.

Stephen Brindley, a senior civil technology construction management major and president of SCRI, said he was chosen to head the crew because he has 12 years of experience in construction management. SCRI's role is to train the crew in the basics of weather-proofing homes, he said.

"Every 90 days, the church brings together a new group of folks. Some are just getting out of jail or kicking a drug habit and are looking to learn new skills to get back into the job market," he said.

The first crew weather-proofed 40 homes, and the present crew has completed about 15, he said. "The most rewarding part is seeing UH students and guys in the Third Ward working together as a successful team," Brindley said.

After an initial training session conducted by Brindley, the 12-men crew work daily for three months, earning $5 an hour. The UH volunteers visit the work sites every Friday to work with crew members and offer construction advise.

After a project is completed, church members help crew members write resumes and find jobs.

Brindley said a few members from the first 12-men crew have jobs with the city and one is working at NASA.

Richard Akin, a volunteer and student council president for the College of Technology, said at first, he was apprehensive about possible racial tension because the volunteers were white and the crew members were black. But they had worked together, he realized it wasn't an issue.

"This is a very positive project because we are all working together to accomplish the same goal," he said.

Although he graduates in May, Akin said he would like to continue volunteering in the summer and hopes the program continues to grow.

"It helps out the community, and it's nice to see these guys taking steps to improve their lives and the lives of others," Akin said, adding that homeowners are always very grateful.

BAHA'I MEMBERS DECLARE FAITH

by David Sikes

The Baha'i Club's recent exhibit marked the 130th anniversary of the declaration of Baha'u'llah as the messenger of God.

The Baha'i Club members staged a declaration of their faith at Lynn Eusan Park to inform UH students about the Baha'i religion.

The club hoped to further the teachings of their messenger, Baha'u'llah, who died in 1892 after being exiled to Iraq from Iran.

Quotes from Baha'u'llah were exhibited to teach students about the last word of God.

The Baha'i faith, which originated in Iran, believes Baha'u'llah was sent by God to deliver his message just like Moses, Christ or Mohammed.

The faith teaches the oneness of God and that there is only one race -- the human race. It also espouses equality for men and women and the elimination of prejudice.

"It's unfortunate that many people have the idea that religion is more like a cult. They fear it because many things are man-made, and most people don't investigate religions because of preconceived ideas," said Patricia Gonzales, treasurer of the Baha'i Club.

At UH, the Baha'i Club has 14 members from at least five countries: India, China, Peru, Iran and the United States. The club has been on campus for at least 10 years, Gonzales said.

Baha'i has more than 6 million followers of all races in every country, said Gonzales. In Iran, however, followers are persecuted, she said.

The religion is based in Haifa, Israel. Baha'i is not a traditional religion, in the sense that it neither has a clergy or a ritual, Gonzales said. The teachings are meant to awaken the spiritually dead and to awaken the soul, she said.

Baha'i members welcome everyone to investigate their teachings on Fridays in room 104 at the A.D. Bruce Religion Center.

"I would like them to know that the faith is here (at UH)," Gonzales said.

LEGISLATOR TRIES TO SOLVE INEQUITIES IN STATE FUNDING

by Annette Baird

UH lacks either the political clout in Austin or the will to stand up to the gross inequities in funding plaguing Texas universities.

While the Texas Legislature is in session, various proposals that will increase or bring equity in endowment funding to universities not under the Permanent University Fund are flying in and out of the House Appropriations Committee.

State Rep. Robert Duncan of Lubbock is sponsoring two bills concerning endowment funding during this legislative session; one proposes dividing the PUF money, and the other seeks to increase the Higher Educational Assistance Fund.

Duncan, a republican, said, "My goal is to ensure quality in higher education all across Texas without having to raise taxes. We have to put more money into public education."

PUF is a $3.2 billion public endowment from oil revenues that provides more than $200 million a year to the UT and Texas A&M systems as specified by the Texas Constitution of 1876. One-third of PUF goes to the A&M systems and two-thirds goes to UT systems.

In 1984-85, PUF generated $191 million. In 1989-90, PUF money peaked at $266 million, and in 1991-92, it stood at $256 million.

To bring equity in endowment funding to the universities in Texas, HEAF was created and amended to the Texas Constitution in 1984. HEAF draws $100 million annually from the Texas General Revenue Fund. The fund generated its income from sales tax, alcohol and tobacco tax and the lottery.

Since the HEAF and PUF-funded universities are of different sizes, comparisons of state funded endowments need to be on a per-student basis.

In 1992, PUF-funded universities, A&M and UT systems, received more than three times that of HEAF-funded universities- or an average of $1600 per student compared to an average of $511 per student, said. Cnee Breaux, senior budget analyst for the UH system. The UH system receives an average of $427 per student, Breaux added.

Seventeen institutions are under the A&M and UT systems with a combined full-time student equivalent of 157,000. The 22 institutions, including the four UH schools, under HEAF have a combined full-time student equivalent of 198,000.

The full-time equivalent is calculated by dividing the total semester credit hours by the appropriate full-time equivalency (nine hours for doctoral students, 12 hours for masters and special professional students and 15 hours for undergraduate students).

"My concern is that when A&M and UT cap enrollment, there will be an increase in demand on HEAF-funded institutions. HEAF has not been increased in the last 10 years. The disparity between HEAF-funded universities and PUF-funded universities will continue to grow," Duncan said.

House Joint Resolution 104 proposes splitting the PUF money into thirds: one-third to A&M systems, one-third to UT systems and one-third to HEAF universities, said Duncan. "I got the impression that dividing PUF is not an option at this time."

HJR 104 would constitute a full assault on the ability of UT-Austin to remain one of the nation's leading institutions, said Bernard Rapoport, chairman of the UT Board of Regents, in a testimonial to the House Appropriations Committee. Although splitting PUF three ways, thereby splitting UT's share in half, may sound imminently fair, the proposal would do irreparable harm to UT and to Texas higher education generally, Rapoport argued.

PUF looks like a large amount of money, but if it's divided between everyone, there's no money for anyone, said Grover Campbell, vice chancellor for governmental relations for UH systems If HEAF universities are included under PUF, it will bring the standards of universities down, he added.

Campbell said concentrating on increasing HEAF has a better chance of success in the legislature.

The Duncan bill, which was passed out of committee last week, proposes an increase in appropriations to HEAF by $50-$100 million.

"These bills and resolutions are vehicles for bills to be passed for consideration," Duncan said.

U.S. Rep. Gene Green, a UH alumnus and former state representative, said he tried hard to bring a reasonableness to the funding inequities between the universities when he was involved in state politics.

"We haven't been successful. UT and A&M have a lot of alumni in the state legislature. We (UH) don't have the same amount of alumni in the legislature. We need a network like that of UT and A&M," Green said.

Changing the status of either PUF or HEAF requires a constitutional amendment. The state legislature is made up of more than one-third of UT and A&M alumni in the house and almost half of UT and A&M alumni in the senate. Amending the Texas Constitution requires a two-thirds majority vote by the legislature.

If the Duncan bill is passed, the proposed increase is HEAF money still falls short in closing the equity gap.

BELLY READY TO STOMACH SUCCESS

by Rebecca McPhail

Belly. Belly. Just say that word over and over to yourself. Sounds pretty weird doesn't it?

Now picture someone enjoying the sound of that word enough to call their band Belly.

Welcome to the wonderful world of music, kids!

Belly is actually the brainchild of guitarist and perpetual second-fiddle, Tanya Donnely.

Tired of hiding in the shadows of former bands, Throwing Muses and the Breeders, Donnely began looking for new band members several years ago.

Her search led her to musicians and childhood acquaintances, Chris and Tom Gorman.

Chris Gorman said, "We heard through friends that Tanya was going to be leaving Throwing Muses. We gave her a call and she gave us the opportunity to try out (for her new band)."

Seeing their shared past as a good omen, Donelly hired the brothers immediately.

"I'm sure there's someone better out there who would have died for the opportunity," said drummer Chris.

After releasing their debut album, a catchy collection of guitar-driven, lyrically introspective tunes, the band began the process of searching for a permanent bass player.

"We did go out of our way to track down a female bass player. We didn't want to be a gender classified band," Chris said.

The search ended with Gail Greenwood, a Rhode Island native who grew up near the other band members.

"She had played in bands we knew, and we had mutual friends," Chris said. "We're all essentially from the same town. We have common roots. That makes it easier to establish an instant friendship."

The band, whose "Feed the Tree" single is currently climbing the charts, has just embarked on a nationwide tour.

"No one's mentioned taking a rest yet," Chris said. "I guess as long as the record's still hot, we'll keep going."

ENTERTAIN ME

A weekly calendar of student-oriented activities

4/26 Monday

<I>Deadline for new undergraduate and post baccalaureate students to apply for admission (Summer)<P>

<I>Examination Preparation Workshop<P>

-1 p.m. in the Social Work building, Room 321-A

-Admission is free

-For more information call 743-5436

4/27 Tuesday

<I>Campus Recruitment Workshop<P>

-Presented by the Career Planning and Placement Center

-1 p.m. in the Student Service Center, Room 106

-Admission is free

<I>Symposium: "After the Year of the Woman: Gender in the Art World of the Nineties"<P>

-Features keynote speaker, Anna Chave of Yale University

-6-8 p.m. in the College of Architecture Theater

-For more information, call UH Art Department at 743-3001

4/28 Wednesday

<I>Guest Speaker: Michael Medved<P>

-"Hollywood's Three Big Lies About Media and Society"

-Medved is co-host of PBS's <I>Sneak Previews<P> as well as senior reviewer at the New York Post

-7:30 p.m. in Agnes Arnold Hall, Auditorium One

-Admission is free

4/29 Thursday

<I>First Annual Spaghetti Eating Contest<P>

-Competition for prizes

-11 a.m. - 5 p.m. in Lynn Eusan Park

4/30 Friday

<I>Play: Macbeth<P>

-Adaptation of the Shakespeare classic

-Runs through May 29

-8 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and 5 p.m. on Sunday at the Urban Theater, 339 19th St.

-Admission: $6 - $12

-For more information, call 467-4119