LOST OR FOUND, UH POLICE HAVE IT FOR SALE THIS WEEK

Whether you've lost something, found something, or don't quite know what you want, UHPD can help.

As well as protecting the campus, the department is offering great deals on umbrellas, bicycles, clothes, books and watches at an auction Wednesday in the UC Arbor.

Bidding may start as low as $1 and range as high as $5 to $10, depending on demand. Before the event, potential buyers will have an opportunity to view the goods.

"Students will be able to see the quality of the items and decide if they want to buy anything," said UHPD Lt. Richard Storemski.

The early viewing will also give those who have not claimed their belongings during the past two years an opportunity to do so.

"If they can identify their belongings we will give it back to them," he said. "But they just can't come up to us and say, 'That's mine, that's mine and that's mine,' and expect us to just give it back."

Unsold items will be given to charity, and proceeds will be used to update lost and found forms. The Student Program Board will co-sponsor the event.

The auction begins at noon and will end at 4 p.m.or as soon as all items are sold. Viewing of the merchandise begins at 11 a.m. in the arbor.

Patrons can pay in cash or by check with a driver's license at the auction site.

But, Lt. Storemski warned, "No refunds."

*******************************************************

NFL IGNORES COUGARS HOPEFULS

This year's NFL draft lasted eight rounds and no Houston Cougar was selected.

Linebacker Eric Blount, wide receiver Freddie Gilbert and defensive back Stephen Harris, all pro hopefuls, will have to keep waiting.

The Southwest Conference sup-plied just one first-round pick -- safety Patrick Bates of Texas A&M was picked by the Los Angeles Raiders.

The Aggies also sent linebacker Marcus Buckley to the New York Giants in the third round and defensive back Derrick Frazier to Philadelphia in the third round.

COOGS STEAL 8 BASES IN ONE GAME TO COMPLETE SWEEP OF UT-PAN AM

by Patti Warner

The Cougars' attempt to finish 1993 the way they started continued with a double-header sweep of visiting UT-Pan American Monday at Cougar Field.

Houston, 31-21 (3-12), won the nightcap 14-3 after beating the Broncs (22-28) 8-1 in the first game.

"We're playing almost like we were that first month," Houston coach Bragg Stockton said. "We're playing better at positions, we're pitching better and we're swinging the bat better."

The Cougars took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning off UTPA starter Mark Ottmers (3-5) when left fielder Brian Blair singled then scored on first baseman Kirk Taylor's sacrifice fly.

Houston added single runs in the second and third innings before exploding for five in the fourth. Second baseman Jason McDonald led off the inning with a bunt that Ottmers threw wildly to first for an error.

Shortstop Joe Betters walked and Blair singled to load the bases. McDonald scored on a wild pitch and Betters and Blair scored on consecutive errors by Bronco fielders.

With one out in the inning, left fielder Ricky Freeman hit into a fielder's choice, then stole second.

Shortstop Mark Swindell booted third baseman J.J. Matzke's grounder to plate. Pinch hitters Robert Goudeau and Mike Murphy followed with consecutive singles to score Matzke.

The Cougars added five more runs in the fifth inning, highlighted by Goudeau's first career grand slam.

Blair led all Houston hitters with a 4-for-6 performance and two stolen bases. Blair extended his hitting streak to 12 games.

"I guess I got lucky a couple of times and hit their bad pitches," Blair said. "I'm just trying to finish the season strong. Whatever happens, happens."

Center fielder Phil Lewis also extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a 3-for-4 day.

Junior Brett Jones (4-3) picked up the win for Houston in relief of starter Brian Boyles, who went 3 2/3 innings.

Junior Brian Hamilton (8-3) went the distance in the first game for his fourth complete game of the season.

Hamilton gave up four hits, struck out three and walked seven.

BASQUIAT'S WORK LIVES ON

Dizzy Gillespie heard Charlie Parker and said, "That's how our music should sound."

A young painter of Puerto Rican and Haitian heritage heard Parker and found a king he could crown by referring to him in paintings as the one who sat on the throne of jazz.

What is sad, though, is the fact that 10 years after Jean-Michel Basquiat painted "Disco-graphy," both he and Gillespie have passed away.

Fortunately for posterity, both artists live on through their paintings and music, respectively.

The Menil Collection features a retrospective exhibit of Basquiat's paintings, sculptures, drawings, and collages.

Much of Basquiat's work is abstract art. There are traces of surrealism and some of the pop art Andy Warhol made famous.

Thematically, Basquiat differs from most contemporary artists in that his experiences as a black man influence most of his work. There are masks featured in some of the works that bear a resemblance to Nigerian wood-carved masks.

The themes of oppression in modern society, the black man as a superhuman athlete and worker, and the struggle for empowerment and liberation dominate the body of work represented in the exhibit.

Having received a copy of <I>Gray's Anatomy<P> from his mother as a child, Basquiat then had a reference that enabled him to later appreciate and render works in which the male anatomy is presented.

His knowledge of the anatomy, particularly with muscles and bones, is evident in "Leonardo da Vinci's Greatest Hits," a painting that is loaded with iconography and features extremities that are drawn with less precision than da Vinci's illustrations, but in the same spirit.

In the left hand corner of the four-panel work, there's a representation of a muscle-bound John Henry hammering away at the railroad tracks.

Working. Sweating. Toiling.

He also has a sense of humor that serves him well even as he attempts to convey the attendant pain and frustration that sometimes comes with working as a menial servant, as he does with "Eyes and Eggs."

A man, who has skin as dark as ebony, stands dressed in a white uniform and cook's hat, holding a pan of fried eggs. Dusty footprints are noticeable on the man's face and the white background. The footprints definitely make a profound statement.

Works such as "Cassius," "Jack Johnson," "Untitled (Sugar Ray Robinson)," "Boxer Rebellion" and "Jesse" reveal Basquiat's obsession with sports heroes and their respective legacies and histories. The latter work is a commentary on how athletes like Jones, swastikas painted around him, become pawns in a larger political game where more is at stake than a world record.

Such works as "Untitled (Two Heads on Gold)," "Untitled (History of Black People)," "King Alphonso," and "Gold Griot" communicate Basquiat's appreciation of African folklore, history and works of art.

Many of the works featured in the retrospective are mixed media, including acrylic paint, oil paintstick, crayon and charcoal. The canvases include paneled canvases, connected boards ("Gold Griot") and manilla paper.

The crown is a recurring motif throughout the prolific painter's body of work.

Several featured works would qualify as piece de resistances', a testament to Basquiat's ability to produce works that are extraordinary in terms of representation of theme, execution and effective use of such elements as line and color.

Such works are "Irony of a Negro Policeman," "Riding With Death," "Acque Periclose (Poison Oasis)," "Grillo," and "Zydeco."

The only problem with the exhibit, which runs through May 9, is that Basquiat will not be making any guest appearances.

Like Gillespie, only his art lives on.

ARMADILLO SMOKERS COOK UP THREE PRIZES

by Connie Barrera

"Teamwork" is what it was all about for the Armadillo Smokers, who won three trophies in last week's Frontier Fiesta cook-off.

Competing against 40 other teams, the Armadillo Smokers placed first in beans, second in fajitas and third in chicken.

Members of the Armadillo Smokers, all employees of the Physical Plant, presented the trophies to Holly Sterneckert, associate vice president for plant and operations of the Physical Plant.

"We want the trophies to stay here for all of the employees of the Physical Plant, to make everyone a part of it," said Margarito Rosales, foreman of the Automotive Department.

Employees of the Physical Plant were very supportive and some gave up lunch breaks to help set up the booth in preparation for Frontier Fiesta, he said.

Team members include Rick Cardenas, carpenter shop; Reynaldo Flores, paint shop; Johnnie King, assistant foreman, labor shop; and Myrlin Brazil, foreman, labor shop.

This year was the first time the men cooked together as a team and they plan to expand it next year.

"Our team is growing. We're looking very much forward to it next year," said Rosales.

According to the team members, they were just going out to cook for the people and have a good time, but winning "was a real positive thing for us," said Rosales.

King said, "We're real proud of the trophies. Everybody criticized us and told us we couldn't do it, and we proved we could. We did it as a team."

The trophies will be put in a case in the Physical Plant building.

HUGE SALARIES TAKE CHUNK FROM BUDGET

by Deborah Hensel

Restructuring exercises, huge budget cuts from the state legislature, an indefinite hiring freeze, a rollback on pay raises and rumors of contract offers retracted -- it's been a tough year for UH.

At the heart of it all, money -- or the lack of it -- is the central issue.

In 1938, when Hugh Roy Cullen donated a $260,000 check toward the construction of the first UH building named for his son, Roy Gustav Cullen, he imposed only one stipulation.

"There is only one condition to this contribution," he said. "The University of Houston must always be a college for working men and women and their sons and daughters. If it were to be another rich man's college, I wouldn't be interested."

Cullen can rest easy. With a potential $10 million to $15 million cut in state funding over the next year, UH is in no danger of becoming a rich man's college.

Yet salaries for faculty, staff and

administration take the largest chunk -- almost 51 percent -- of the university's $294 million current operating budget for fiscal year 1992. The budget includes state funds but is contingent upon gifts and grants.

Salaries account for $116 million, and employee benefits total $32.5 million.

The general budget from fiscal year 1992, which comes strictly from state funds, is $181 million. Salaries and benefits represent $132 million of that amount.

UH President James Pickering, whose salary is $156,045, also receives a $25,000 housing allowance, $7,923 for an automobile lease, $2,040 for club memberships and $3,765 for life insurance.

In 1992-1993, the average salary for a chief executive officer of a public college or university in Texas was $120,989, according to a survey conducted by the Texas Faculty Association.

Chancellor Alexander Schilt has an annual salary of $196,956, with an auto lease of $10,801, club memberships totalling $6,125 and life insurance worth $5,417. Schilt lives in the university-owned Wortham House.

The highest-paid public university chancellor and president in the state are at the University of Texas. UT System's Chancellor William Cunningham is paid $234,023 and UT-Austin President Robert Berndahl has an annual salary, before benefits, of $185,000.

"Although TFA does have a problem with the magnitude of compensation received by public college and university CEOs, we want to make it clear that higher education as a whole should not be punished for the excesses of a few," said TFA President Marsha Self.

"We want to reaffirm our position that higher education in this state is woefully underfunded, and that bringing the compensation of chancellors, presidents and other administrators under control will not in itself solve higher education's critical funding problems," Self said.

Among faculty at this campus, 83 professors and administrators earn more than $100,000 per year, for a total of $10.3 million of the university's payroll, according to university records.

Of those 83, only two women fall into the six-figure salary range: Sara Freedman, assistant dean of the College of Business Administration, and Karen Haynes, dean of the Graduate School of Social Work.

Comparatively, at Harvard University in Boston and Rockefeller University in New York, which have the highest average salary for professors in the nation, the figure is $96,500, according to the 1992-93 annual report by the American Association of University Professors.

In Texas, Rice University has the highest average annual salary for faculty at $77, 900.

Within the UH system, this campus has the highest average salary for professors, $64,800. At UH-Clear Lake, the average is $53,600, and at UH-Downtown the figure is $49,500.

Excluding Pickering, the top 11 highest paid individuals on campus are listed as teaching 38 classes in the fall 1993 class schedule.

Texas Center for Superconductivity Director Paul Chu, who earns $285,603 per year, is scheduled to teach two classes in the fall. One is an entry-level physics class that Chu said he specifically requested, because he enjoys watching students progress.

Chemistry Professor Dan Luss, chair of the Chemical Engineering Department, is scheduled to oversee 23 upper-level and graduate classes this fall. Luss earns $165,631 a year.

Another chemistry professor, Allan J. Jacobsen, who earns $166,448, is listed as the instructor for five classes this fall.

The remaining eight top-paid instructors have responsibility for a total eight class sections among them.

"I think there's no question that the path to economic success at this university is by doing research," said George Reiter, president of UH's Faculty Senate.

The only way for a faculty member to get a raise is by getting outside offers, and the only way to get offers is to have a reputation for research, said Reiter. He said he believes this method is how salaries get jockeyed up to six figures.

Reiter, a physics professor, said he thinks the merit ranking system used to evaluate professors is destructive. There is no absolute scale of merit, he said.

"As it stands, the kinds of things that are promoted and rewarded are basically research," Reiter said.

"Within research, it's how much money you can bring in, how many papers you produce and how many doctoral students you turn out," Reiter said.

The problem with the merit system, Reiter said, is "you wind up with people suppressing each other, and conflict and antagonism within departments over who's going to get this and who's going to get that.

"This is not a fact of nature; this is a created choice. There are certain political pressures to make this kind of choice, but in the scale of all that, teaching is zero," Reiter said.

"Serving the student has not been a high priority heretofore," he said. "But the university is moving in that direction."

Meanwhile, the current UH mission statement emphasizes the university's role as "a major public, comprehensive research university."

In the mission statement, education is listed second.