POLL SHOWS KRUEGER LEADS 24 VARIED SENATE CANDIDATES

Some senatorial candidates vying for Bob Krueger's seat hope to compete in a possible run-off after Saturday's election, before they mold campaign reform and cut the deficit.

Krueger is one of 24 hopefuls who seek to assume the post, which became vacant when Lloyd Bentsen stepped down to become treasury secretary.

A random telephone poll of 621 registered voters conducted by political science professor Richard Murray indicated 26 percent who either had voted or intended to cast a ballot supported Krueger.

Texas Treasurer Kay Bailey Hutchison had 19 percent, Rep. Jack Fields 12 percent and Joe Barton garnered 10 percent. Dallas multi-millionaire businessman Richard Fisher and Jose Angel Gutierrez followed with six and one percent, respectively. One percent of those polled support the other candidates.

Although the election determines whether the Democrats will have more influence in the Senate or if Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Texas) will have a junior partner, 25 percent of those polled remain undecided.

Clymer Wright, a Houstonian who is closely allied with Mayor Bob Lanier, said he decided to run because, "The country has undergone a severe moral decline. What used to be thought of as terrible today is being extolled by the media, Hollywood and poli-ticians."

The Republican has initiated several local term limitation petition drives and served as finance chairman for Campaign Houston, a committee that led the effort to repeal a special rights city ordinance for homosexuals.

If elected, Wright said he would be in favor of handing the responsibility of financing public education from the federal government to the states.

In a letter endorsing Wright, Sen. Jesse Helms (R-North Carolina), who has gotten notoriety for his positions on censorship, wrote, "He understands what I like to call the miracle of America. He fervently believes in the free enterprise system and has always warned about the perils of allowing America to become a welfare state."

He supports requiring food stamp recipients to pay 10 percent of the face value of their food stamps.

Some senatorial candidates, such as multi-millionaire Dallas businessman and Democrat Richard Fisher, have placed emphasis on campaign reform.

"There is no way Congress will shift its focus from the next election to the next generation until we have tough, comprehensive campaign reform," he said.

On the subject of post-college educational opportunities, Fisher, a supporter of former presidential candidate H. Ross Perot's United We Stand organization, said the private sector should bear the responsibility for job training and recruitment programs.

He said such "pork barrel" projects as the National Aeronautic and Space Administration space station and the Superconducting Super Collider projects account for millions of wasted dollars that could be funneled back into education.

The Fisher campaign reform plank addresses the issue by advocating a limit of two terms (or 12 years) for senators and for house representatives, a limit of five terms. He also is convinced political action committees should be gotten rid of.

Texas Treasurer Kay Bailey Hutchison, long considered a possible threat to Gov. Ann Richards in future gubernatorial elections, concurs with many Republicans who have favored giving the president line-item veto authority and a balanced budget Constitutional amendment.

"The seemingly endless cycle of PAC money, special interest money, more government spending, fewer cuts, and congressional perks must be broken," she said.

Fisher, although he is in favor of the North American Free Trade Agreement in principle, cited concerns about environmental regulations in Mexico. Hutchison favors it as a stimulus for Texas commerce and for the 400,000 jobs she said it will create.

In terms of lessening the $4 trillion national debt and the deficit, which runs in excess of $300 billion, Wright said tax increases are not the answer. He supports a freeze on federal spending except for entitlements and the interest on the debt.

Hutchison favors streamlining as opposed to cutting such entitlement programs as social security.

*******************************************************

STUDENTS WIN AWARDS

Optometry students swept the top three prizes in the annual Student Case Report Challenge sponsored by the <I>Review of Optometry<P>.

Steven K. Cox, a fourth-year student, received the grand prize and Sonya Braudway and Michael Bacigalupi from Houston, TX, both fourth-year students, received second prizes.

Each student outlined a specific optometric case that presented extra medical concerns. The judges rated the cases on quality of care rendered, quality of writing, enterprise and effort that went into the paper and service to the reader.

Cox's case outlined a patient's complaint of loss of vision that was related to metastatic tumors related to breast cancer.

"The college congratulates each of our students. Their hard work reflects well on our program and continues a tradition of excellence in this particular awards event," Dr. Jerald Strickland, dean of the College of Optometry, said.

COMPUTER BUYERS MUST SEARCH FOR BARGAIN

by Ambir Davis

Although Cougar Byte, the campus computer store in the UC, offers students a convenient location it may not always offer students the most convenient price.

John Forsyth, sales supervisor at Cougar Byte, said it is standard for a store associated with an educational institution to receive discounts on equipment. "Our prices reflect that," he said.

But Cougar Byte, which is primarily a Macintosh dealer, did not offer the best price on printers when compared to Bizmart. The Hewlett Packard Deskjet 500 is priced at $366 at Cougar Byte. Rudy Dominguez, computer sales manager at a local Bizmart, said he carries the same printer for $349.

Bizmart also offers a considerable savings to students looking for a laser printer. The Hewlett Packard Laserjet IIP Plus costs $789 at Cougar Byte and $747.94 at Bizmart. The Hewlett Packard Laserjet IIIP runs $849 at Bizmart, while students pay $910 for the same printer at Cougar Byte.

Cougar Byte does offer considerably better prices on computer software. For example, Macintosh's Lotus 1-2-3 costs $109.95 at Cougar Byte and $319.99 at Bizmart.

Although the Cougar Byte is forced to compete with large retail dealers such as Bizmart, students are offered personalized service.

Cougar Byte refers students to a consulting service if they are unfamiliar with the software they are buying. Forsyth said this service provides technical support for software program users.

Cougar Byte carries Zenith and Dell as well as a wide variety of Macintosh products. The store also offers reduced prices for software and hardware during special sales.

UH WORKS WITH CAMBRIDGE OAKS

by Karla Lee

A task force has recently been organized to add continuity to the hasty relationship formed between UH and the Cambridge Oaks Apartments.

"Because the apartments were rushed to open, we didn't sit down and hammer out the details and work out the relationship between the apartments and the university," said Tom Penett, director of Residential Life and Housing. "We generated the policy as it became a problem, and we now need to formalize these things."

Cambridge Oaks is owned by UH but is run jointly by the UH and University Park Partnership I Ltd.

A governing board comprised of three university representatives and three University Park Partnership representatives oversees the relationship.

Financial stops are a primary issue the task force is addressing. When such a stop is placed on a student's record, the student is unable to register for classes or obtain a transcript.

The UH and the apartments are devising a system that will allow Cambridge Oaks to use the stop process as university departments do. Both students and the bursar's office have complained that the current stop system Cambridge Oaks uses is confusing.

Parking is the second-most important issue. Cambridge Oaks recently enforced a parking policy after receiving requests from residents to alleviate congested parking.

Only residents with leases and proof of vehicle ownership can now get a parking sticker, and each lease holder receives only one sticker. Cars not displaying stickers are towed. Many residents have complained about the situation to the Residential Life and Housing Office.

The parking policy was instituted after guests were taking the prime spots, forcing residents to park far away from their apartments.

Sloan Ruth, the assistant manager at Cambridge Oaks, explained, "The system was for the benefit of the residents, not to inconvenience the guests. Residents are first and guests come second."

Soon to be discussed is the lease. The apartment lease is a lease provided by the Houston Apartment Association, and is quite long with many legalities.

The university and the apartments are hoping to include the apartment contracts with the Housing Agreement now in use for the dormitories, according to Penett. He said he would like to see Cambridge Oaks policies included in the guide to on-campus living, which is distributed to all on-campus residents.

John Ianuzzo, manager of Cambridge Oaks, explained the situation as a fine-tuning of the relationship. "They need to draw us into the university way."

Bela Thacker, a student representative, was chosen by Ianuzzo. "I was afraid they wouldn't consult me very much. Whenever we have discussions they always ask me what I feel. They really care about what the students think," she said.

Thacker said she has many friends who are residents at Cambridge Oaks, and she is trying to get a feel for what they want to better help the residents. She is planning to publish some information in the Cambridge Oaks newsletter to keep the residents on top of the developments of the task force and to make herself a better go-between.

The task force, organized in late March, consists of Jackie Mitchell, assistant director of Housing Services; Sandy Coltharp, assistant director of Residential Life and Housing; Kathy Anzivino, assistant Dean of Students; Ronnie Marr, president of Carlton Management; Thacker; Ianuzzo; Ruth; and Penett.

ALUMNUS NEW CITY PERSONNEL DIRECTOR

The new director of personnel for the city of Houston, named Wednesday, is a UH alumnus.

Raul Castillo, who was a political science major, graduated from UH in 1971 and began working in human resources and public administration. In 1979 he was co-chairman of the campaign group, Mexican-Americans for Better Transit, which helped initiate the current Metro transportation system in Houston.

Castillo continued working with Metro as chief of the Equal Employment Opportunities Bureau.

"Working in Metro was a great educational experience, and it really helped me when I began working for the city," said Castillo.

Castillo began working with the city of Houston in 1982 when he became the head of the employee-relation administration. He continued with the city in 1987 as the executive assistant for finance and administration.

Castillo became the judicial staff and services manager of the municipal court system in 1988, and has held that position until his appointment of personnel director this year.

The city is one of the largest employers in Houston, with more than 20,000 employees. Castillo said one of his main goals as the new director is to make working for the city more enticing to people.

"I want people to know the city is a wonderful place to work and offers as many opportunities for advancements and benefits as the private sector. Many people consider working for the city a stop-over on their way to a career in the private sector," said Castillo.

Castillo is active with many community groups. He has served on the Harris County Juvenile Court board, which works with children in juvenile detention.

Castillo serves on the Friends of Hermann Park Board, which is working to raise the park to a world-class status. He is also the president of the Hispanics of Texas Running Club. He said the running club is geared to show high school students "that it's important to keep both your body and mind in good condition."

Castillo said he recommends UH to anybody considering a college degree. He also said it is important for people to continue their education after earning an undergraduate degree.

"Education is very important. I try and stress that to the high school students I speak to. I always recommend UH to people as a great place to receive an education."

TOP STUDENTS HONORED

by Marla Crawford

Fifty-three students from nine different colleges were recognized Tuesday for excellence in leadership and academic performance.

Scholarships and outstanding student awards were presented at the 1993 Excellence Convocation in the Houston Room at the UC.

Also recognized were all Honor Society members and seniors who attained at least a 3.5 grade point average.

The annual event is sponsored by the office of Student Affairs, the Honors College and the office of Academic Affairs.

"(The event) involves and recognizes literally hundreds of students," said Wendy Adair, associate vice president or university relations.

More than 300 seniors were recognized for having a 3.5 or higher GPA. Also listed were honor society members.

"It's a really neat way to honor students," Adair said. The ceremony is traditionally held just before commencement, she added.

Adair said that at the commencement ceremony the UH will hand out the 150,000th degree this year and the 100,000th bachelor's degree. She said she is deciding how to recognize these students at the ceremony.

900 MILES TO THE GALLON? UH DESIGNS A BUDGET CAR

by Kelechi Osuji

For the first time UH students are entering a National Supermileage Competition. They must design and build a three-wheeled one-person vehicle capable getting up to 900 miles to the gallon.

Students may enter two vehicles in the competition, which will be held the weekend of June 20 in Sacramento, Calif.

The competition will be held in two parts, dealing with two different types of fuel: Methanol, a standard gasoline and Isooctane, a type of alcohol.

The Isooctane vehicle will weigh approximately 50 pounds and will be pulled on a trailer to California.

The Methanol vehicle will be fully licensed by the state of Texas. Jerome Curry, a student participant, said his group will attempt to drive the Methanol-driven car from Houston to California on 20 gallons of gasoline. The trip will cover approximately 2,600 miles.

He said the car he is driving to California looks like a completely enclosed and crush-proof motorcycle.

"If you were to take a fully loaded semi-tractor and roll over the top, the car will not crush and the driver will be able to walk away." No vehicle short of a military vehicle can do such a thing, he said.

Driving the car from Houston to California is not a requirement of the contest.

"It is an attempt to steal the contest," he said, adding that the motorcycle/car will be the only vehicle proven capable of surviving all normal driving conditions.

The other part of the contest will be held over two days. On June 19, the vehicles will be inspected and practice on the tracks. The next day, the competition will be held, and the fuel will be measured. The Isooctane car he towed to the competition will be used at this event.

Curry said to be competitive, the students set a target mileage for the Isooctane car of 900 miles a gallon.

Prizes for the top three places are money donations to the engineering department of the winning universities. The amount of money awarded changes yearly. He said it has been as high as $2,000 and as low as $500 for first prize.

All students are encouraged and welcome to get involved. "This is a university project," he said.

Students interested in helping out should contact Jerome Curry at 681-7171 or William VanArsdale at 743-4525.

QUICK CURE FOR SUMMER-TIME BLUES IS HERE ON CAMPUS - A POOL

by Claudia Gutierrez de Velasco

Now there's an alternative for students to blow off some stress before final exams.

Most students don't realize there is a swimming pool waiting for them. The pool is located between the Student Health Center and the Moody Tower dormitories, next to Entrance 5.

The pool has been here for approximately 30 years, said lifeguard Tom Helms, a geology senior.

"The pool has an L-shape and has an Olympic size lane with a lap swim of 25 meters," he said.

Lawn chairs are placed around the pool for students to lie around and catch some rays. "Students sometimes have parties by the pool or play a game of water volleyball," Helms said.

"The pool is open to the public. Students who live in the dorms get in free and everyone else pays $1.50," Helms said." A season pass costs $25, he said.

The pool is open from noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday to Sunday.

LOVE STICKS AND CURRIED GOAT

by Hermina Frederick

Special to the Cougar

"How you feelin...nn..nnn, irie...ee...eee!!!," sang the man, and the crowd of students -- black, white, Indian, Mexican, Asian, and West Indian, shouted back "Irie...ee...eee!!!," one voice of many people belting out the sentiments of people united by that flamboyant abandon of Caribbean joie-de-vivre.

Amid booths of colorful arts and crafts and the belly-grabbing smell of hundreds of sticks of love incense, curried goat, and the eye-catching, thirst-quenching coconut water, the Caribbean Students' Association exposed everyone on the UC patio Wednesday to a bit of Caribbean culture.

Pia McWilliams, a freshman chemical engineering major and a CSA member, took her mum, Mary McWilliams, to the festival. The older McWilliams said she was enthralled by the "calabash purses, African clothes, jewelry made out of coconut shells, beads and those adorable Caribbean cloth dolls."

McWilliams said she came with her daughter to show a mark of solidarity among CSA and the greater Houston Caribbean associations. So did Renee Lovelace, a paralegal and president of the Jamaica Caribbean Association.

Both women expressed their pride at the effort CSA is making to reach out to Caribbean students on campus. "The West Indies is the center of harmony and unity among people," said Lovelace. "The students are doing a good thing to show how an atmosphere of harmony can exist among people," she added.

Although the sounds of Caribbean solidarity blasting out of Danny Adams and his band CESS, and the sight of CSA members and UH students bending at the knees, digging the reggae, were enticing, nothing was more tantalizing than the <I>chop chop<P> of the coconut man, CSA treasurer and accounting major, Eustace Isidore.

"Man ... those coconuts went fast ... people really liked them!" he said.

This sale was part of the vigorous fund-raising efforts CSA plans to assist both Caribbean students on campus and the Caribbean community at large, said Shirleen Williams, CSA president.

Since the organization revived in 1992, CSA has attracted more than 50 members.

Caribbean students who did not know that the carrel with all the Jamaica, St. Lucia, Trinidad brochures was secured as their own little niche on campus heard it everywhere on the patio.

Derval James, a sophomore in business administration from Antigua, has been on campus for two years and is happy to know that there is a place "where I can keep in touch with my culture."

Freddie Lucille, a senior in construction management, said, "When others see stuff like this, they will know we stand for something."

And so, CESS and Danny Thomas continued to "lively up" Caribbean Day, 1993.

Everybody said de musik was good; it was irie. Thomas watched the faces of campus people absorb Caribbean flavor as he sang.

"I notice the students are really into reggae music," he said and expressed his wish to assist CSA whenever possible.

Caribbean Day 1993 is over; ahead is Caribbean Day, 1994, coming with more coconuts, more curried goat, more music and a liberal display of Caribbean solidarity at UH.

GIVE IT A REST; <BODIES> A SNOOZER

by Sally Pouncy

Keep your body at home, rest and don't even think about making any type of motion toward a movie theater to see <I>Bodies, Rest and Motion<P>.

This is a quirky little film about the relationships between three twenty-something people who are approaching thirty and can't get their lives in order.

Beth and Nick are leaving their suburban house in some southwest town and moving to "the city of the future" -- Butte, Montana.

Nick talked Beth into this move, claiming it would be a vast improvement over their current lives. Beth buys the idea and agrees to go with him. So Nick goes off to the last day of his dead-end job and leaves her to pack up the house.

Enter Sid, the philosophical house painter who postulates about the advantages of living in the southwest. He has never lived anywhere else in his life and is completely satisfied with painting houses for a living. Sid has the hots for Beth, but she is completely oblivious to his attraction.

Beth has to be told Sid wants her, and the news comes from her new best friend Carol, Nick's old girlfriend.

Carol is the bearer of bad news in this film. She tells Beth about that Sid likes her and about her life in Butte, Montana.

The movie is stuffed full of cute, funny lines that keep the characters talking, but do nothing to advance the story. It's as if the screenwriter did not finish the movie, and the audience is left hanging as to what happens in the lives of the characters.

Bridget Fonda stars as Beth, and her talent lives up to the family name. Fonda is great, but her accomplishment is no excuse for the lack of a story.

Fonda's real-life live-in beau Eric Stoltz plays Sid and does an OK job acting, but he seems to be strained at moments.

Phoebe Cates as Carol could have been better, but so could the script.

The truest performance comes from Tim Roth as the misdirected Nick. Roth's portrayal was great, and some of his expressions are wonderful. When Nick is at a loss, or fed up with the way his life is going, Roth doesn't need lines. With one raised eyebrow or a scrunched brow, he steals the show.

The acting is good, but overall the film is not worth a $6.50 ticket, so wait for the video.

WEEKEND NOTES

4/30 Friday

Cyclops Joint Concert

-7 p.m. in the UC Underground, World Affairs Lounge

-Free copy of Virus Board literary magazine given to the first 200 people at the door

-Sponsored by the Writers and Artists Group at UH, Student Program Board, VPA Committee and the Activities Funding Board

Play: Macbeth

-Opening night of the Urban Theatre's production of one of Shakespeare's most powerful works

-Co-directed by James Gale and Martin McGovern. Gale also stars in the title role.

-Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 5p.m. at the Heights Theatre on 19th Street

-Play runs through May 29

-Opening Night Admission: $25 (includes champagne reception)

-General Admission: $12

-Student Admission: $6 (with student ID)

FREE AGENCY SNAGS THREE EX-COOGS

After watching hour upon hour of the NFL draft to no avail, several former Cougar players have found the yellow brick road to pro football via free agency.

Sunday's eight-round draft, shortened from 12 rounds when the team owners and players signed a new agreement earlier this year and will drop to seven rounds next year, left many players with no other choice than to place themselves on the free-agent market.

Freddie Gilbert, who led the nation in receiving in 1991, said Thursday his agent, Ron DeFimone, has worked out a two-year deal with the Houston Oilers.

Gilbert, a former inside receiver with the Cougars, said he had been negotiating with the Oilers since Tuesday and that the Atlanta Falcons had also expressed some interest.

"I've been sitting on pins and needles since Saturday," Gilbert said. "I'm just happy to be with this team because a lot of guys are going to be left out."

Linebacker Eric Blount, the only UH player invited to the Indianapolis combine in February, and offensive guard Jason Youngblood are headed to New Orleans and San Diego respectively.

Blount said he expects to sign a free-agent contract with the Saints today or Saturday. Youngblood said his contract with the Chargers should also be completed soon.

"New Orleans has a good defensive scheme that I'd like to be a part of," the 6-foot-1, 230 pound Blount said. "It's all on me from here on out."

Defensive back-kick returner Stephen Harris and defensive tackle Steve Clarke are also considered top Cougar free agent prospects. Neither could be reached for comment.

COUGARS LOOK TO DIMINISH

BAYLOR'S POST-SEASON HOPES

by Patti Warner

Although they have technically been eliminated from the Southwest Conference race, the Cougars have a chance to play spoilers this weekend as they host the play-off bound Baylor Bears.

Houston, 31-21 (3-12), currently sits on the bottom of the conference and Baylor, 34-17 (8-7), is ranked fourth. Weather permitting, the games are set to start at 3 p.m. today and a there'll be a doubleheader at noon Saturday. In the event of a cancellation, the single game will be moved to Sunday.

Rumors have been floating around the baseball world that if the Bears have a good showing against the Cougars, then win at least one game in the SWC tournament, they have a good shot at making a regional tournament.

"We're capable of sweeping them," Houston coach Bragg Stockton said. "That would be nice."

The Cougars enter the series as winners of 10 of their last 16 games.

Leading the charge have been the Cougar batters. Third baseman and left fielder Ricky Freeman is attempting to become only the second Cougar to lead the conference in hitting. He is currently second to Texas first baseman Braxton Hickman with a .393 clip. Freeman also ranks in the SWC top-10 with 64 hits and 43 RBIs.

Center fielder Phil Lewis and left/right fielder Brian Blair have also made a strong, late season offensive push. Lewis ranks in the conference top-10 in triples with seven, home runs (eight), RBIs (42) and stolen bases (18).

Blair chips in a .354 batting average with 39 RBIs.

The Bears' offensive standouts include catcher Jason Marshall (eight home runs, 46 RBIs) and outfielder Marty Crawford (64 hits, 12 doubles, four triples).

"Their best attribute is their pitching," Stockton said. "They'll come right at you."

Freshman Aaron Lineweaver and senior Joe Wharton have seven wins apiece for the Bears. Lineweaver ranks in the conference top with 72 strikeouts and a 2.99 earned run average.

Wharton has been all-everything for Baylor by doubling as a shortstop as well as a relief pitcher. His 2.57 ERA ranks him fourth in the SWC. He also has three saves for the Bears.

The Cougars are led by freshman Jeremy Tyson and junior Brian Hamilton on the mound. Hamilton leads the team with seven wins, four complete games and a 3.79 ERA.

Tyson ranks right behind him with a 4.40 ERA, three complete games, three saves and 34 strikeouts.

HOUSTON'S CHAMPION SPRINTERS ON SAME TRACK

Bruce Springsteen, Sam Jefferson and Michele Collins all have one thing in common.

They are all familiar with the term "born to run."

But for Jefferson and Collins, the term takes on a different meaning than it does for Springsteen.

As the leading Cougar candidates for All-American track honors this season, Jefferson and Collins are taking the nation by storm, and hope to succeed at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in June.

"I think that it is very important to succeed in this type of competition," said Collins, who leads the nation in the 200-meter run. "It makes the team look good and it also adds some extra incentive to your own accomplishments."

But Jefferson, who also leads the nation with his 100-meter run, said he feels that titles and high accomplishments really work in a negative way if an athlete lets it get to their head.

"It leads you to have a surreal view on yourself and therefore makes you lose focus on your accomplishments," he said.

Jefferson regards winning state in the 100-meter run during his sophomore year at Waco High School as his greatest accomplishment.

More importantly, Jefferson also set the new state record that season, and that record has yet to be broken.

"Winning the state meet that year was something to really cherish for the rest of my life," he said.

However, Collins admits that her high school career was not nearly as successful.

"I was very injury-prone in high school and could not really prove myself until I got to college," she says.

And Collins forgot all about her high school problems as she made nationals during her freshman year at UH.

She then became an All-American her sophomore year and in her junior year, won the NCAA championship in the 200-meter.

"I'd have to say that winning the NCAA championship last season was my most memorable event," Collins said.

Jefferson regards winning the Southwest Conference title his sophomore season in the 100 as his most memorable event at UH.

"I really feel like that, to a certain extent, was better than winning state, because in the SWC you're competing against some of the finest runners in the nation and even in the world," he said.

But considering the runners' enormous accomplishments, one wonders just how long each has wanted take up track.

"It's been in my family for years," Jefferson said. "Both my grandmother and father were very successful when they competed."

Collins' background was somewhat different.

"Ever since I outran the entire student body my fifth grade year, running track has alway been a dream of mine," she said.

Future dreams for Collins include running for the track club and trying out for the 1996 Olympic team.

Jefferson, on the other hand, is not looking ahead to the future.

"I just want to take things one day at a time and not worry about what my future holds becuse there is so much that I would like to accomplish."

But no matter what the future may hold for either of these individuals, one thing is for sure: Baby, they were born to run.