THE HIGHS AND LOWS OF THE JOHN JENKINS' ERA

Dec. 2, 1986 -- New Cougars head coach Jack Pardee hires John Jenkins as offensive coordinator.

Nov. 7, 1987 -- Cougars defeat Texas, 60-40, in the Astrodome. It's the first major victory for the program under Pardee.

Nov. 19, 1988 -- Cougars beat Texas Tech, 30-29, in Lubbock. Houston accepts Aloha Bowl bid.

Dec. 25, 1988 -- Washington State defeats Houston, 24-22, in Aloha Bowl in Hawaii.

Oct. 22, 1989 -- In an offensive expolsion, UH routs SMU, 95-21. The Cougars gain 1,021 yards total offense on the freshman Mustang team.

Dec. 2, 1989 -- Quarterback Andre Ware wins Heisman Trophy after Cougars rout Rice, 64-0.

Jan. 9, 1990 -- Pardee becomes head coach of Houston Oilers. Athletic director promotes Jenkins to head coach.

Nov. 10, 1990 -- Texas beats Houston, 45-24, in Austin to spoil any hopes of an unbeaten season.

Dec. 1, 1990 -- Houston completes 10-1 season with 62-45 victory over Arizona State in Tokyo.

Sept. 12, 1991 -- Miami trounces UH, 40-10. John Moores decides to give $51 million to the school; $25 million is devoted to the construction of a new athletic facility.

Nov. 11, 1992 -- Houston spoils Rice's bowl bid with a 61-34 victory to end the season at 4-7. It was also Jenkins last game as coach.

April 30, 1993 -- Jenkins resigns as head coach.

*******************************************************

AD TEAM WINS AWARD

by Rafe Wooley

The UH advertising team won the presentation phase and was the first runner-up in an advertising competition held in Corpus Christi April 22-23.

Judged best in its oral presentation of marketing plans and creative advertising, the team improved on last year's third-place performance at the American Advertising Federation's College World Series of Advertising.

Twenty-one students from the UH Advertising Campaigns class and one student from the UH business school comprised the team, which was one of 14 competing in the event.

Associate professor of advertising Jay Mower and adjunct professor Janet Goforth coached the team.

The competition has each team create an advertising campaign for a product. This year the product was the Saturn SC-1 automobile.

Mower said this year's team presented the strongest, most targeted creative advertising, "and that's what advertising is all about."

Competing teams were required to do everything a professional agency does to create a successful campaign, including research, media buying and planning and creating advertisements.

FINALS BEST TIME TO SELL BOOKS

by Kelechi Osuji

For those students who can't stand the sight of another textbook after weeks of studying for finals, there's a solution. The UH Barnes & Noble bookstore will have end of the semester book buybacks from Wednesday until May 14.

Books will be bought back at the on-campus location and at the UH Bookstore Annex, located next to the Black-Eyed Pea.

B&N will also have three mobile buyback trailers from May 10 until May 14 at the UC Satellite, in parking lot 15E (next to Roberton Stadium) and in lot 9C (across from the quad).

Although the bookstore buys books back every day, B&N General Manager Gerald Maloney said, "This is the major buyback period, because finals is when the greatest percentage is paid. Books are worth more at the end of the semester."

The bookstore determines what books it will buy back from a list provided by faculty detailing which books they will be using during spring semester.

He said students can expect to get up to 50 percent of the list price of a book if it can be used again and if the bookstore needs inventory on the book.

If the book does not meet this criteria, the buyback price is then determined by the wholesale value.

The wholesale value of a book can range up to 40 percent of the list price.

"It is not a function of how much the book originally cost. It's a function of the value of the book nationwide," he said.

Maloney also said not all books needed in large quantities will be bought back at 50 percent. "Any department can change books at anytime," he said.

He urges students to sell their books back, because doing so directly reduces the bookstore's net book bill for the semester. Selling back books also provides more used books to stock, which reduces their bill for the following semester.

JENKINS RESIGNS AS HEAD COACH

by Javier Gonzalez

In a joint agreement with the University of Houston, embattled football head coach John Jenkins resigned Friday afternoon.

"I've loved my experiences at UH," said an emotional Jenkins at a press conference at the UH Hilton. "I made a sincere commitment to UH. My intentions were to spend my full career here, but sometimes things don't work out.

"This is not a situation where John Jenkins can sit propped on his hind legs. I am doing this in the best interests of UH and all those great Houston Cougars. This will always be my school. I'll always be a Houston Cougar at heart," he said.

Despite his resignation, Jenkins denies allegations that he violated NCAA rules.

"I will answer questions concerning the allegations at the appropriate time," Jenkins said as he left the press conference.

Athletic Director Bill Carr said the NCAA's and the internal investigations are not complete.

"No findings have been sent to the NCAA," Carr said. "We have no way of knowing how long the inquiry will take.

"We will continue to cooperate with the NCAA and let the process follow its due course."

Jenkins will continue to cooperate with the school and the NCAA. He will also be allowed to rebut any allegations found by the inquiries.

The resignation came three weeks after current and former football players made allegations that they practiced more than the NCAA's 20-hour a week limit.

Former inside receivers coach Steve Staggs then came forward and alleged major NCAA violations, including falsification of a recruit's financial-aid receipt and illegal summer workouts.

Staggs and players also said Jenkins showed scantly clad women during film sessions. Jenkins had apologized for the using the "attention-getters," and said he wouldn't do it again.

As part of the agreement, the school will pay Jenkins two years base salary, which is $100,000 per year, and will continue to pay for his health insurance. Jenkins was in the first year of a three-year contract.

The sudden resignation prompted mixed reactions from the coaching staff and players.

"It's a shock," said superbacks coach Tommy Kaiser. "You don't ever want to see that.

"It's tough, but you have to go on. I hope I'm still here to be part of it (football program)," Kaiser said.

"If everything is true then justice has prevailed," said Cougar quarterback Donald Douglas. "If it's not, then the man's name has been slandered."

This is not the first time Douglas has been through this situation. When he was a freshman at the University of Florida, the Gators went on NCAA probation.

Florida hired Steve Spurrier as head coach and Douglas transferred to Houston because he didn't fit into the team's plans.

Carr also announced the nationwide search for a new head coach. He appointed an ad hoc group to help in the search.

The group, which will include assistant coaches, players and members of the UH community, meets today to establish the parameters for the search.

Carr said he wants a coach as soon as possible because of the timetable. May is the beginning of the recruiting season.

The next coach will have to run a similar style offense to the Run-and-Shoot because of the athletes Houston has, Carr said.

Douglas said if Carr doesn't bring in a coach who runs the same system, it will hurt some of the players.

Carr said he didn't think the possibility of NCAA sanctions would be an obstacle to attracting a head coach.

"This is a great opportunity for a coach," Carr said. "Those matters (NCAA sanctions) can be dealt with contractually. A coach can receive some stability in his contract."

Assistant coaches will be allowed to apply for the job, Carr said. Carr is expected to meet with the coaches through the weekend.

In three years, Jenkins compiled a record of 18-15. In 1990, his first year, he went 10-1. In each of the past two seasons, his record has been 4-7.

Jenkins was hired as head coach in 1990, after Jack Pardee left the school to become the head coach of the Houston Oilers. Jenkins was offensive coordinator under Pardee from 1987-89.

STATE EMPLOYEES MARCH IN AUSTIN TO PROTEST PENDING BUDGET CUTS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

The Texas State Employees Union headed to Austin Wednesday to lobby against both a $15 million budget cut heading UH's way and state employees' salary cuts.

UH faces a 12.1 percent cut for fiscal year 1993, which means UH's budget could be cut by up to $15 million.

Rep. Robert Eckels (R-Houston) is optimistic that UH's budget will not suffer the full 12 percent cut.

"I think we'll be able to accommodate this, and UH will not be hit harder than any other university in Texas," Eckels said.

Part of the blame for UH's dramatic funding cut falls on the South Texas Initiative, which calls for increased funding to South Texas universities, which doesn't include UH.

Therefore, monies must be shifted around within the total pool available to public higher education in Texas.

"I believe UH should be a part of the South Texas Initiative because of the large minority population," Eckels said.

However, a combination of factors contributes to the proposed dramatic budget cuts to UH.

John Miller, a professor of physics, joined seven UH faculty and staff members who demonstrated their anger on behalf of UH and the Texas State Employees Union.

"We met with various legislative aides because the legislators were all busy on the floor," Miller said.

Miller said in speaking with the legislative assistants, he mainly focused on the combined effects of various bills and their impact on UH.

Miller delivered a petition that acquired 1,906 signatures in a week period to Gov. Ann Richards and various legislators. The petition is growing and will continue to be sent to various legislators.

Miller said if Senate Appropriations Bill 5 passes without any modifications, UH will feel the full impact of the cuts.

"Because realistically, UH can't prevent any cuts," he said. "The only hope is to have the budget cut by only 4 percent."

George Reiter, the president of the Faculty Senate agreed. The most he would like to see cut from UH's budget would equal that of the cuts to UT-Austin, UT-Arlington, Texas Tech and the University of North Texas -- just over 4 percent.

That would mean either modifying the appropriations bill or having some sort of special legislation passed, said Miller. One example he gave of more equitable legislation is a "hold harmless" bill that would mean no university in the state would receive a cut greater than 4 percent.

The Harris County delegation, Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock and Sen. Gonzalo Barrientos (D--Austin) include those that are on UH's side, Miller said.

"From speaking with legislative aides, it seems that many of the republicans in the House are not in favor of helping UH," Miller said.

Miller foresees that the lobbying, as well as the continued effort in writing to legislators, will help.

"At least there is hope," Miller said. "But we have to show our appreciation to those who are working on our behalf."

Between 1,000 and 2,000 TSEU members attended Lobby Day. They held a demonstration march and presented speeches protesting cuts on state workers' salaries, Reiter said.

For example, the Department of Human Services is overworked, Reiter said. "The number of clients has increased to almost 500," he said. "The number of caseloads that was promised to DHS workers was 150," he added, referring to economic problems facing all state agencies and workers.

A petition is also circulating with the goal of UH's graduate teaching assistants receiving a "tuition waiver," Reiter said.

"With $1,000 a month, TAs don't want to give away a quarter of their salary for tuition and fees," he said.

"It's a question of who should pay for those things," Reiter said.

The legislative session and deliberations about funding end May 31.

TWO ARRESTED IN BOTCHED CARJACKING ATTEMPT

Two area high school students tried to kidnap a 30-year-old woman and steal her car at gunpoint in a UH parking lot Wednesday. But events did not quite go as the assailants anticipated.

The two 16 year olds initially approached the woman, a visitor to UH, at 9:33 a.m. in lot 19B as she was getting out of her car.

One assailant had a gun and demanded her keys. The other grabbed her arm and demanded she get in the back seat with him, said UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis.

But Davis said she broke free of the suspect's grasp and took off running and screaming.

"For whatever reason, the two men left the car behind and ran away," Davis said. The pair did not run after the woman; they ran in different directions, he said.

UHPD was made aware of the botched carjacking by a call made by a "hysterical woman" from a nearby call box, said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil. However, police cannot confirm whether or not it was the victim or a witness.

"Sgt. Williams told us he saw a man running and drop something in the bushes (in lot 18A)," Wigtil said.

Police found an unloaded .38-caliber Smith and Wesson in the bushes and both juveniles were apprehended and arrested.

One was found by the baseball park on Elgin Street and the other was found in Rettilon Park near the computing center. Both were charged with aggravated robbery, attempted aggravated kidnapping and evading arrest.

The youth with the gun was also charged for having a gun on campus, Davis said.

The woman was unharmed and asked not to be identified.

One suspect involved is the same teen who was arrested after a neighbor chase for a carjacking incident on April 6 in the Law Center parking lot, Davis said.

Both young men were taken to the Harris County Juvenile Probation Department.

Officials in the department did not comment on specific actions taken in the repeat offender's case.

ENTERTAIN ME

A weekly calendar of student-oriented activities

5/3 Monday

<B>Last Day of Classes<P>

5/4 Tuesday

<B>Reading Period<P>

-No classes or exams from Tuesday through Thursday

Ongoing

<B>Metropolitan Volunteer Program<P>

-Help become part of the solution

-Accepting applications through May in the MVP office, UC underground 53

-For more information call 743-5200

THRILLCAT'S RELEASE PURRFECT

by Rebecca McPhail

Thrillcat is the musical equivalent of a starched, white cotton shirt -- crisp, clean and immediately comfortable.

Unlike some bands that require a "breaking in period," Thrillcat's infectious pop is contagious after one listen.

The New York-based trio's first release, <I>Oneword,<P> is a collection of intelligent, well-crafted pop songs on the level of Jellyfish and the Rembrandts. They're smart without being pretentious and clever without being cutesy.

The three-piece band -- comprised of guitarist/vocalist Bill Rocamora, bassist/vocalist Mike Brayton and drummer Doug Grober -- may well be the logical successor to Squeeze; filling the pop music void left after the group split up in the mid-eighties.

"All Come True," Thrillcat's first single, is a joyride of a song. The swingy guitar and vocal trade- offs propel the song while the toy-drum sounding splash cymbals keep it slightly off balance.

"Honeyface" is the perfect top-down, wind-in-your face driving song. The sweet vocal harmonies and sugar-coated lyrics send the listener to just this side of an intense sugar high. This is the kind of band that was made to be listened to in the sunshine.

"World" takes a new twist on the state-of-the-world song. Unlike the current crop of "we're on a downward road" dirges, Thrillcat is actually optimistic.

"Well I see a day and it's not too far away/ of everlasting peace to this puzzle," they sing.

Yet for all the band's unbridled optimism, the album's most affecting song is "Kate," a gentle plea for a second chance from a lover.

The poignant vocals are backed by an acoustic guitar and braced by cellos and a viola.

Houston-based Justice records signed the trio last year in an attempt to branch out from their company's traditional jazz releases.

The record won't be released until later this month, but you can listen for "All Come True" on local radio stations.

In an era where distortion and feedback reign supreme, Thrillcat provides a welcome change for grunge-weary listeners.

PLAYERS EXPRESS

RELIEF, CONCERN

OVER RESIGNATION

by Dai Huynh

Some football players expressed a sign of relief over UH football head coach John Jenkins' resignation.

Former defensive lineman Tray Hooper said, "I'm happy. At the same time, (I'm) just hoping UH makes the best of this. We have the opportunity now to bring in a quality coach -- someone who's going bring integrity back to UH."

Hooper, a senior in sociology, was among several players who came forward against Jenkins with allegations of NCAA violations. Many of the current players have mixed feelings about Jenkins' resignation, "but mostly euphoria, to tell you the truth. But (the players are) also sad at the same time. Because this happened so late in the year, it's going to be hard to bring in another offensive and defensive scheme in the fall," Hooper said.

The players are very concerned and anxious to know who will be their next head coach, he added.

Former inside receiver Tim Woods, a walk-on who claimed Jenkins promised him a football scholarship that never materialized, said, "What happened was generally to be expected in order to eliminate any other problems -- problems that didn't need to arise.

"I feel sorry for coach Jenkins, but I can't say I feel remorse for the person," he said. "He's a talented man. But when you're dealing with human beings and an institution, you have to be morally just, so you don't hurt the university, players, alumni and the students."

"I would've been hurt if the investigation had gone any further. I'm very grateful that it stopped where it did," Woods said. "They (UH) got to the root of the problem. Now the current football players can regroup and not worry about any more lies."

Senior psychology major and 1992 all-Southwest-Conference punt returner Jamie Mouton said, "Any time a man loses his job, it's not a good situation as far as his family is concerned. My overall reaction to his resignation is relief. I knew it was going to happen, in the wake of everything that's happened."

UH linebacker Ryan McCoy said he wasn't surprised by Jenkins' resignation. He added he supports the Athletic Department and Jenkins' decision to resign.

Now the football program can concentrate on the game and who's going to be the next head coach, McCoy said.

BEARS TAKE THREE FROM COUGARS,

BU ADVANCES TO SWC TOURNEY

by Patti Warner

The Cougars wrapped up their 1993 season with three losses to the Baylor Bears over the weekend at Cougar Field.

Houston finished the season 31-24 overall and 3-15 in the Southwest Conference. Baylor, 37-17 (11-7), advances to the SWC tournament.

The tense, emotional series saw the Bears take Saturday's opener 4-3 and both ends of the doubleheader Sunday 10-3 and 13-8.

"I think our season can be wrapped up with one theory," Cougar coach Bragg Stockton said. "We've been way too generous."

Senior Wade Williams made his final appearance at Cougar Field to start the second game for Houston. He lasted only one inning before giving way to junior Brian Hamilton (8-4).

The Bears jumped on Hamilton with three straight walks and three runs in the third inning on a single by left fielder Marty Crawford.

The Cougars answered with two in the bottom of the frame. Left fielder Brian Blair led off with a walk before center fielder Phil Lewis sent a Jason Rathburn (7-4) pitch over the center field fence for his ninth home run of the season.

Baylor added insult to injury with four runs in the sixth to run the score to 10-2. Designated hitter Joe Wharton singled and right fielder Mark Martin followed with a walk.

Cougar reliever Jeff Wright hit Bears catcher Jason Marshall to load the bases and that brought up third baseman Mike Bohnny. Bohnny greeted Houston reliever Jeremy Tyson with his fourth home run of the season to clear the bases. Bohnny led all hitters in the series with a 6-for-12 performance and nine runs batted in.

The Cougars picked up two more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning when third baseman J.J. Matzke and designated hitter Robert Goudeau led off with singles. Matzke scored on catcher Mike Hatch's grounder that forced Goudeau at second.

Two batters later, shortstop Joe Betters doubled to center field to score Hatch.

A final Cougar flourish came in the bottom of the eighth inning. Second baseman Scott Kohler led off with a grounder that second baseman Jason Walton snagged and threw to first. Kohler appeared to have beaten the throw, however, first base umpire Tim Henderson called him out.

Henderson ejected Kohler as well as assistant coach Russell Stockton for the vicious protest that ensued.

With one out, pinch-hitter Chris Scott singled. Blair and Lewis followed with consecutive singles to score Scott. Left fielder Ricky Freeman followed with his sixth home run to score Blair and Lewis and bring the Cougars within striking distance.

Hatch led Houston hitters with a 5-for-10 series and four RBIs. Blair ended the season by hitting safely in 14 of 15 games.