STATE BUDGET HIT UH-SYSTEM

UH has been hit with an $8.5 million budget cut which will affect both academic programs and administration staffing.

Although UH was originally expected to lose up to $30 million over a two-year period, Senate Bill 5 passed May 27 with an $8.5 million cut.

While the cut in funding is significantly less than expected, the losses equal the total operational expenses of the College of Social Sciences. Social Sciences is the second largest school in the university.

"We need to keep working on the Legislature and not give up," said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning and executive associate to the president. "We have to convince them that these cuts can not go up in the next biennium."

The revenue loss will be split up in the budget biennium. UH will lose $2.6 million in 1994-95 and $5.9 million in 1995-96.

The cuts were a result of funding changes for doctoral programs, formula funding changes and a 3 percent faculty and staff pay raise that the university must absorb.

Although the pay raise was implemented and funded by the state in January, Senate Bill 5 denies further monies for the raise and requires individual institutions to keep providing the funds.

The raise alone will cost UH approximately $2.5 million during the next two years, but will not go into effect until 1995-96.

The doctoral hour cap puts a limit on the amount of hours a graduate student can take to complete a degree. The state provides funding for each credit hour taken by a student. Senate Bill 5 will stop funding these hours after the student reaches 130 credit hours.

UH will only have to compensate for 25 percent of the cut in 1995-96, but in 1996-97 the law will go into full effect and UH will have to fully match the funds per hour.

UH only faces 25 percent of the hour cap cut in 1995 because of a legislative procedure called "held harmless." While all universities are funded alike, a school can be held harmless because of individual institutional differences.

"University of Houston had a twelve percent cut while the other schools lost four percent. We held you harmless for six percent of your cuts because it was such a great difference," said Rep. Garnett Coleman, D-Houston.

Even with the "held harmless" clause, UH, with twice as many graduate students as undergraduates, will lose $900,000 due to the doctoral hour cap.

"We need to show the state Legislature how different we are from the other schools. We are a non-traditional school in an urban environment. The length of time it takes to finish is different from other schools," said Szilagyi.

Another major cause of lost funds is formula changes. The state uses a series of formulas to judge how institutions are funded. Funding formulas are developed for the amount of credit hours taught per semester and by each individual department.

"The formulas are a basis for the state to fund all schools on a common level," said Mary Rubright, executive director for planning and budget.

"Where one school may have an engineering program that has gotten funds, another may not and will lose the money," she said.

Academic programs will be hit, but the impact is much less than expected. The original version of the bill, causing up to a $30 million dollar loss, would have resulted in a much smaller class schedule.

"The class schedule will be hurt very little if at all," said Szilagyi.

"This doesn't have to mean a lower amount of teaching bodies. The academic side could mean money coming out of department operation costs," he said.

Performance funding and a cut in UH's optional retirement program were deleted from the bill. If these measures had passed, UH would have lost almost double the amount actually cut.

"There have been enrollment decreased. When enrollment decreases, money drops," said Coleman.

Szilagyi and Rubright both agreed that increasing enrollment is an important factor in preventing further cuts. Szilagyi also believes the Legislature will induce further cuts if more tenured teachers are not used in undergraduate courses.

The final UH budget will be released in August and will show exactly from which programs the money will be taken.

*******************************************************

ERA DOCUMENTED IN ARCHIVES ROOM

by Marla Crawford

Nicky Hilton and Elizabeth Taylor's wedding album, Shamrock Hilton Hotel uniforms and more than two thousand cookbooks -- these are just a few of the items found in the Conrad N. Hilton Archive room.

The archive room is inside the Conrad N. Hilton Library in the Hilton college of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

The locked room contains rows of shelves loaded with documents, correspondence and memorabilia that belonged to Conrad Hilton. Most of these things arrived in 50 original file cabinets from Hilton's office.

A bust of Hilton in the corner of the long room oversees the collection. Golf clubs and a walking stick lean against one wall in the room. Plaques, awards and framed photos decorate the walls.

Four chairs from the Mobley Hotel in Cisco, Texas are grouped at one end of the room. The Mobley, a 40-room hotel, was the first Hilton purchased in Texas, in May 1919.

Cathleen Huck, director and archivist, has been working with the collection since 1986 when she was a graduate student. When the archive opened in 1989, she became the consulting historian for the collection.

"There are more than 3,000 photos and more than 600 feet of boxes and references," Huck said.

Papers on international hotel development in the '50s have been indexed for the researcher. Of major interest to business or political science students are papers from Eric Hilton that contain feasibility studies on opening hotels around the world, Huck said. "These are honest-to-god marketing plans -- not just theory."

Most of the cookbooks are from a single collector in Louisiana, and some are quite valuable, Huck said. The collector is having the books appraised now and their value will be matched in terms of dollars by the Hilton Foundation.

An 1886 cookbook, My Favorite Recipes, is one of the oldest in the collection. A recipe for 12 mince pies requires three hog's hearts and one upper head boiled and ground. Add a gallon of chopped apples, a pint of wine and a pound each of sugar, currants and raisins.

More than 400 people used the cookbook section last spring, Huck said.

Also available are papers from Barron Hilton taken from his 1967 presentation to the American Astronomical Society on a possible lunar Hilton Hotel. Projected operation starting date: 1990.

A 1967 original color storyboard for a Batman comic strip shows Conrad Hilton sitting in the Batmobile with the "Dynamic Duo." The three gaze at a newly built Batman Hilton.

Boxes and boxes of advertisements for the Shamrock Hilton might interest advertising, public relations and marketing students, Huck said. The boxes include color separations.

Academic researchers are not charged for use of the archive, but business researchers are. Huck said that this is the only fee that takes care of preservation and conservation needs.

For large projects, appointments should be made. Walk-ins can meet with Huck who will help ascertain their needs.

Huck also conducts tours through the archive.

One of the most perused items in the archive is Nick and Liz's wedding album. An 18-year-old Elizabeth Taylor and 24-year-old Nicholas Hilton are recorded by the camera as they begin their life together - unfortunately the union only lasted seven months.

The Hilton Archive and Library is located in Room S-210 in the south wing of the hotel, near the ballroom.

JIM AND TAMMY'S ART BAR DEVOTED TO FAITHFUL PATRONS

Not just a bar, but a catalyst for culture.

So goes the concept behind Jim and Tammy's Bar, a new club and artspace that opened June 2 upstairs from Numbers on the 300 block of Westheimer.

While the theme revolves around deposed rulers of televangelist glitz Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, the intentions, said bar owner Reid Mitchell, are more ambitious.

"We want to be the beat club of the 90s, instead of the 60s," he said. "We want to create a culture."

Jim and Tammy's marries the city's blossoming music and art scenes in what Mitchell said he hopes will usher in a local renaissance in which video artists can show their work and musicians can connect with videographers to put their music on film.

More importantly, Jim and Tammy's is intended as a shrine to critical thinking and self-motivation. All the artwork is Mitchell's, who took up painting for his bar's opening.

"We want to present other viewpoints so people think about what goes on around them," he said. "The herd accepts whatever is told to them . . . we want people to do for themselves."

While the bar was put together in just three days, Mitchell has been developing the idea for nearly five years.

"This will be more of an intellectual place rather than a place to hear bad rap," Mitchell joked.

The space is dominated by three large screen monitors hooked up to stereo sound equipment as well as smaller monitors hanging from chains. At the bar, patrons can try "Milk Plus," an exclusive concoction combining Vitamin B and a shot of milk.

Patrons can also follow the sordid downfall of the Bakkers from framed tabloid covers and articles adorning the walls.

The grinning faces of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker on a big-screen welcome everyone, but the image soon vaporizes in favor of music videos and video art.

The music includes Gothic rock stylings from Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Shriekback and others, but will be expanded to include locals as more come in.

One of Mitchell's film pieces intersperses news and police commentary about events in Waco with images of the burning compound. Mitchell sees it as a way "to get people thinking about other viewpoints."

Another installation shows figures raising the overly made-up image of Tammy Faye, frozen in her infamous crying pose, to a glittery sky. Dusty photos of the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ hang aside Bakker's deification.

"The followers hold Tammy up to the sky, where she's just above Jesus and Mary," Mitchell said, pointing out the piece sitting just above the stairs. "It was as if she wants to be over them, greater than them."

Using his own art as an example, Mitchell said he hopes people will be inspired to do their own work.

"We want people to realize that they can make their own ideas and to be true to yourself," he said. "If you don't like my painting, I don't care, because I like it."

Such an ethic is intended to foster a more inventive climate where new music and new styles develop, Mitchell said.

"Just because something is not popular doesn't mean it's wrong," he said. "In fact, you create what will be popular sometime."

The bar's freedom, Mitchell said, is related to keeping the place small, thereby cutting its costs and making it autonomous from the demands of bills and trends.

"The larger clubs, because they have to pay high rent, licenses and such, have to bring in a thousand people to pay the bills. They're forced to play what people will come to hear, and some people think only the radio is where to hear music," Mitchell said. "I wanted to stay small so we wouldn't have to worry about having to cover so many expenses and compromising what we wanted to do."

Even if the bar, which holds only 35 people at a time, is a smash, Mitchell said it won't be moving to larger quarters.

"This for me is not about money, but about creating a culture," he said. "This is a learning institution even more so than the university."

Jim and Tammy's is seeking work by video artists for display. Artists who bring in their work on three-quarter or half-inch videotape can expect a quick response.

"The rules are there are no rules," Mitchell said. "If you're proud of it and willing to show it, we'll put it in immediately."

Particularly encouraged will be unconventional work, Mitchell said. "By not following the established rules, you make art," he said. "The key to your success is that you enjoy what you're doing."

NEWSLINE

Former HRM prof jailed

David Hayes, former associate dean of the Hotel and Restaurant Management School, went to trial May 6 for two counts of official oppression, or sexual harassment, and one count of second-degree felony theft.

Hayes was sentenced to two concurrent 30-day jail terms for the official oppression charges. Hayes pled guilty to the felony theft charges and was given 10 years probation on deferred adjudication of guilt and a fine of $3,500.

Joseph Cioch, former dean of the Hotel and Restaurant School, will go to trial on Wednesday for third-degree felony theft charges.

Sorority supports Graham

About 35 members of the Pan-Hellenic Council gathered in the UC atrium May 28 to rally support for convicted death-row inmate Gary Graham.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority hosted the "Rally For Life" to protest the execution. Rev. Jew Don Boney of the Justice Coalition for Gary Graham and one of Graham's attorneys were among the speakers.

Graham was scheduled to die June 3 but was given a second 30-day reprieve 12 hours before the execution. The 29 year old was convicted of killing a Safeway worker during a robbery in 1981.

During the rally, Boney said if "they kill Gary Graham, they kill our chances in the U.S.A."

Phillana Williams, a junior political science major and president of Delta Sigma Theta, said they will continue to support Graham with other rallies and possibly organized marches.

Bandit nabs frames

The recent rash of eyeglass frame thefts from the optometry building has left UHPD baffled.

The "eyeglass bandit" has struck four separate times, stealing 112 dress frames worth $4,480, and 10 Rayban frames valued at $500. The complaints were filed with UHPD from May 10 to May 20.

The "bandit" sees his way into the optometry building in the late afternoon, or early morning, when there are no pupils present.

SOUND ADVICE

by Rebecca McPhail

Few things rival the sheer stickiness of Houston in June (except maybe Houston in July).

Breathing is labored, patience is tested and peeling your legs off the car seat is about as messy as unwrapping a Fruit Roll-Up.

Save your sanity and duck into a nice air-conditioned museum or theater and catch up on your culture while you cool off.

Tuesday

The Judybats at the Tower Theater

1201 Westheimer

The bats are back not more than a month after their last stop in Houston. The Tennessee-based quintet mixes intellectual lyrics with swirling southern folk-rock. King Missile opens. For ticket information call 629-3700.

Thursday

Tony Vila at Rockefeller's

3620 Washington

Local singer/songwriter Tony Vila celebrates the release of his record, <I>Count the Time<P>, at Rockefeller's. The show starts at 8 p.m. For ticket information call 861-4977.

Friday

Audrey Hepburn double feature at the Rice Media Center.

Rice University, Entrance #8

Cinema's most enduring symbol of elegance, Audrey Hepburn, is honored this month at the Rice Media Center. Hepburn passed away in January at the age of 63, leaving a legacy of 26 films, five academy award nominations and countless hours of humanitarian work. This week's showing features Roman Holiday (the 1953 film for which Hepburn won an Oscar) and 1967's Two for the Road. The double bill starts at 7:30. Admission is $4 for the first film and $3 for the second. For more information call the Film Information Line at 527-4853.

Saturday

Bloomsbury Reading at DiverseWorks

1117 East Freeway, I-10 at N. Main

Members of Houston's art community take turns reading James Joyce's <I>Ulysses<P> (yes, the whole thing). The marathon session kicks off at 8 a.m. and continues through midnight. People are encouraged to drop in and stay as long as they like. Admission is free.

Ongoing

Max Ernst: Dada and the Dawn of Surrealism at the Menil

1515 Sul Ross

The exhibition, which debuted earlier this year at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, celebrates the 100th anniversary of the birth of German-born artist, Max Ernst. Approximately 180 works will be on view. The museum is open from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Wednesday - Sunday. Admission is free.

The World of Frida Kahlo at the Museum of Fine Arts

1001 Bissonnet

Mexican-born artist, Frida Kahlo is quickly becoming the stuff of legends. Known for her unflinchingly honest self-portraits and deeply symbolic works, Kahlo is the subject of both MFA's exhibit and Houston Grand Opera's production of Frida. The exhibit details Kahlo's artistic evolution from her early watercolors to her later self-portraits. The Museum is open Tuesday - Sunday. Admission is $5. For more information call 639-7300.

HUTCHISON BACKS CLINTON'S COLLEGE

TRUST FUND IDEA

Like President Clinton, Senator-elect Kay Bailey Hutchison hopes students embrace the concept of national service.

Voters embraced Hutchison, former state treasurer and entrepreneur, by casting 67 percent of the ballots in her favor to incumbent Bob Krueger's 33 percent. Two days prior to her victory on Saturday, she said the president's national service trust fund plan has merits.

"What I would love to see us be able to do in this country some day is to have every person the first year after they graduate from high school to be in service to our country. I think that would instill patriotism," said Hutchison, referring to an ideal version of Clinton's plan.

"That would be my dream for the future. I think that Bill Clinton's idea is very good. I like it. I think what we've got to see is if we can afford to do it because if we could take the budget for it from something that's budgeted now, that's the way I would do it because it is a good program."

Clinton has cause for concern since the number of Democrats in the Senate dropped to 56 after Krueger's defeat.

The junior partner of Sen. Phil Gramm sees weak spots in Clinton's economic plan, his tax proposals, military budget item reductions and the proposal that includes several Texas military bases that are slated to be closed. She expressed reservations about his stance on health care.

"I am very concerned that during the campaign he said he thought the Canadian system was a good system to look at," she said Thursday after her last campaign rally in Houston.

"Its (Canadian) government health care is rationed. You have to wait six months for hip replacement; you have to wait one year for a heart bypass operation and we have the health care system in America that's the best in the world. The problems are affordability and accessibility, so let's deal with those two and not wipe out the quality of what we get."

Allegations made during the often heated Senatorial race raised questions of whether Hutchison had compromised the integrity of the state treasurer's office by offering a job to an ally in exchange for an endorsement.

As she responded, her icy blue eyes stayed focused ahead.

"Desperate campaign tactics. It's absolutely untrue and he said so. The thing that makes it so clear that that's untrue and really a desperation tactic is that if he had wanted a job, he would have endorsed the democrats because I was 15 points behind in the polls," she said, referring to the 1990 treasurer's race.

As she rides in the back seat of a white Suburban with her sleeping lawyer husband Ray seated to the left of her, the former political correspondent and practicing lawyer shows no signs of anger or the detachment some have mentioned when describing her.

Most statements she made revealed a sense of self assuredness.

Hutchison once owned McCraw Candies, Inc. and said the pralines and taffy, her favorite candies manufactured there, added extra pounds to her medium frame.

Since she declared to run for the Senate seat left vacant by Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen and later occupied by Krueger, Hutchison has advocated across-the-board cuts as opposed to the drastic cuts in defense, for example, that Clinton supports.

"I think every agency can tighten up 10 percent -- that would save us 30 billion dollars a year. I think that if we set an overall goal of a 2 percent increase in spending, that would overall save us," she said.

Hutchison also favors a Balanced Budget Constitutional Amendment, line item veto authority and zero-based budgeting, "which makes every agency and every department show why it should be re-authorized and I think it's important that we have that kind of mechanism to just do away with agencies that we don't need anymore."

While treasurer, she cut her budget by 8 percent.

Hutchison predicts the high-tech, transportation, energy and agricultural industries will be the mainstays of the Texas economy into the 21st Century.

She also supports the North American Free Trade Agreement, which she projects will add 400,000 jobs. "That is very important for our jobs for the future to have that trade alliance because export jobs are American jobs and building up the economy of Mexico is going to help us," she said.

One of her major mandates is centered on entrepreneurs and homemakers.

"I'm going to put a moratorium on new regulations to give small businesses a breather. I'm going to try to create equity in individual retirement accounts for homemakers. Right now, a homemaker can only set aside $250 a year for savings, whereas a person working can set aside $2,000 a year and I think that's wrong," she said.

Of Clinton she said,"I think his economic plan is wrong. I think he's right on banking deregulation and I think he's right on welfare reform."

She also said he is faltering at the moment because he ran as a centrist and is governing as a liberal and has gone back on several promises, including the middle class tax cut.

Hutchison will finish the last year and a half of Bentsen's term before seeking re-election to a full term next year.

FORMER PHARMACY PROF DIES

Dr. Joseph P. Buckley, 69, former dean of the College of Pharmacy, died May 17 at Duke University Hospital in Durham, North Carolina.

Buckley taught at UH from 1973-19 86 and completed his career as professor of pharmacology and director of the Institute for Cardiovascular Studies. He retired to North Carolina in 1991.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Joseph P. Buckley Scholarship Fund which has been established in the College of Pharmacy.

SEVEN UH PROFS HONORED IN EXCELLENCE AWARDS

by Annette Baird

Teachers of subjects like folklore and medieval literature, philosophy and children's literature often go unnoticed because they don't bring in millions of dollars in research grants.

But a few UH teachers recently stole the spotlight.

Four professors were among seven from the UH-system to be honored May 27 at the Enron Teaching Excellence Awards ceremony at the Four Seasons Hotel.

Richard Abrahamson, Cynthia Freeland, Eddie Green and Carl Lindahl were recognized by their students and peers for their excellent teaching .

"Outstanding teachers are the lynchpin of our success," said Alexander Schilt, UH-System chancellor. "Thanks to Enron for the pride and confidence you have in our faculty. I guarantee you will not be disappointed," he added.

Katherine Oldmixon, a graduate student, said of Carl Lindahl, "He is magic, and I'm grateful he has shared his magic with me." Lindahl, an associate professor of English, teaches folklore and medieval literature.

On accepting his award, Lindahl made pleas that there be no more cost-cutting at UH. "I guarantee that the UH English Department will continue to give far more that its money's worth in teaching,"he said.

Nancy Atlas, chair of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, acknowledged Lindahl's remarks and told the audience that faculty can play a role in influencing the Legislature.

The award lets teachers know that their contributions are important, said Kenneth Lay, chairman and CEO of Enron Corporation. "Many lives have been changed by at least one great teacher."

"Richard Abrahamson changed my life. He makes us better people and better teachers," said Kylene Beers, who earned her master's and doctorate degrees under Abrahamson. "He was an inspiring mentor and a brilliant teacher."

Abrahamson, a professor of curriculum and instruction at the College of Education, teaches literature for children and young adults. Abrahamson credits his success to his being in love with the subject he teaches and the wonderful support from his students. "I get a chance to bring students back to childhood to the books they remember," he said.

The Enron Teaching Excellence Program was established in 1993 with a permanent endowment of $750,000 from the $2.5 million gift from the Enron Corporation.

The award carries a $3000 stipend. Abrahamson said he plans to use the money to buy a new computer.

Absent from the occasion were Eddie Green, associate professor of music and Cynthia Freeland, associate professor of philosophy. Green said later it was a wonderful honor to be chosen for the award.

The recipients from the other UH campuses were Kwok-Bun Yue, assistant professor of computer science from UH-Clear Lake; Andre de Korvin, professor of computer and mathematical sciences from UH-Downtown; and George Hime, associate professor of accounting from UH-Victoria.

STUDENTS OUT OF TOUCH

by Heather Wolk

Although UH is in the midst of a campus-wide reshaping effort which includes the elimination of 120 jobs and 20 degree programs, almost 80 percent of students polled did not know anything about it.

Two-thirds did not know the name of UH President James Pickering, the man responsible for the reshaping plan.

The Daily Cougar asked 103 students at the UC on Wednesday whether or not they knew about the university's reshaping process and if they knew the name of UH's president.

Twenty-two students were aware of the programs and degree plans slated for elimination, but only one knew how the reshaping would affect his college.

"It's just like any major corporation and cuts need to be made. There's fat to be cut, that's for sure," said Kevin White, a junior sociology major. He has mixed feelings about the plan.

"I think it's a necessary evil. It's wise that we're making some changes before we're hit harder by budget cuts. It's not good that we're cutting classes (and) still funding such areas as the athletic program," White said.

Of the 103 students, 82 had no idea how the cuts would affect them or their studies.

When asked if they knew the name of UH's president, 73 people could not respond correctly.

Thirty students either came up with Pickering's name or came close. Some of the guesses were Pickman, Picker, and Pinkerton.

The reshaping draft is open for discussion until Aug. 1, when the final draft is scheduled to be completed.

CASUALTIES

Two days after the spring semester ended, UH President James Pickering released the first draft of the university reshaping plan. In it, he recommends cutting 20 degree programs and 6 academic programs.

The report states that "while there are many good things to be done, no university can afford to do them all."

The cutback on programs is expected to provide funds that can be reinvested in "higher priority" academic programs.

"We can not afford to have any across-the-board cuts. We can not have everyone bleed equally. Sometimes it is more important to sacrifice one program to better another," said Pickering

"We phased out programs either because of low student demand or low quality," he said.

All students who are presently enrolled in eliminated degree plans or programs will be allowed to graduate. Tenured teachers from these programs will be re-assigned to teach different courses.

Pickering said all contractual agreements with teachers will be upheld.

Marty Adams, head of Communication Disorders program believes that some tenured teachers who are reassigned may not want to stay with the university if they can not teach in their fields.

Teachers who are not tenured also worry about reassignment.

"It would depend upon the options offered to me," said Denice Brown, assistant professor of Communication Disorders.

"I won't teach a course that is not in my expertise. That's not fair to the students," she said.

The cancellation of academic programs will also result in fewer upper-division classes in those areas.

The degrees that have been eliminated range from an M.S. in Engineering Acoustics, which had two students enrolled in 1992, to a B.A. in Communications Disorders, which had an enrollment of 160.

Although the enrollment rates in these degree programs and academic areas are low, some faculty, students and community members are voicing opposition.

The reshaping plan recommends that UH's Communications Disorder clinic be eliminated. The report says, "However valuable the COMD program may be, there is no 'fit' elsewhere on campus."

The speech, language and hearing clinic offers comprehensive and diagnostic speech therapy on a sliding pay scale for poor people.

"There is no other clinic in the entire city of Houston that offers these services on a sliding scale," said Marty Adams, the program's director. "If you have a child who has delayed speech you would have to pay full fee at a hospital which would cost $75 per hour," he said.

The clinic also allows students to practice what they are learning. There is no similar academic program in Harris County.

Adams said the school has already heard complaints from the City of Houston Health Department. Because the clinic is a contract agency of The United Way, The United Way is also in opposition to the elimination of the clinic.

State Representative Garnett Coleman, D-Houston, stressed that schools must eliminate some programs to save money, but he does not agree with the elimination of the communications disorders clinic.

"This is the only clinic with these services in the fourth biggest city in the country. It would be nice to see the Medical Center or a nearby university take it. Maybe Texas Southern University would take it," he said.

Undergraduate and graduate degrees in sculpture are also being phased out. Assistant Professor of Sculpture Dean Ruck says that these degrees cannot be obtained anywhere else in Houston except at Rice University.

The loss of degrees in sculpture and jewelry-metalsmithing could affect the course of every art student's education. If these degrees are eliminated, there will no more upper division courses offered in these areas.

Students who take the senior art block, a year when students can immerse themselves in art courses, will have a smaller choice of disciplines from which to choose.

"There will only be two dimensional art taught here," said Ruck. "Students will not be able to learn anything three dimensional.

"If there are any lower level sculpture classes taught without the right equipment, essentially the classes will be glorified arts and crafts classes," said Ruck.

Pickering believes that the money for these programs will be better used for departments who have growing student enrollment. One of his reasons for phasing out both sculpture and communications disorders is to make room for a new music building.

"The state coordinating board only allows a campus to occupy a certain amount of space. In order to get square feet allowance for a music building, you have to do away with something else. You have to go to your most decrepit buildings," said Pickering.

"Music has recently added a doctoral program and they have an expanding student base. They will be vacating a space in the Fine Arts Building which can be better used. The new music building will (also) have a large performance space that can be used for other things," he said.

Pickering also said that the Communications Department voted to have the COMD program removed from the school and relocated elsewhere.

Dean James Pipkin of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication disagrees. He said that the recommendation from the school was that COMD explore its options for a better space, but if one could not be found they could remain. Pickering stressed that this is not the final version of the reshaping plan. "We are still open for constructive dialogue. The recommendations will go through if people don't give feedback. We need to be offered solutions," he said.

THE EVOLUTION OF AN URBAN UNIVERSITY

by Heather Wolk

In a plan designed to save the university $3.3 million, UH intends to eliminate 20 degree programs, six academic programs and 120 staff and administrative positions.

In addition, 16 departments are being recommended for mergers.

Among the six academic programs to be phased out are jewelry and metalsmithing, sculpture and ceramics.

Also recommended to be phased out is the Communication Disorders program and clinic, which includes the city's only public clinic for speech and hearing therapy.

The most immediate effect of the plan may be the September 1 closure of the College of Education's Diagnostic Learning and Research Center.

The removal of these programs will affect approximately 50 students majoring in these fields, according to planning analyst Pola Delasbour.

President James Pickering released the reshaping plan, saying that courses in discontinued programs will continue to be offered until all students currently enrolled in the programs have graduated.

"No one will be unable to finish," Pickering said.

The faculty and staff eliminations will include 100 staff positions and 20 administrative positions.

However, 96 of the 100 staff positions are in administration and finance and are already vacant because of a year-long hiring freeze, said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning and executive associate to the president.

"Those positions eliminated or downgraded were basically expendable," Szilagyi said.

Eliminating the 20 administrative positions, which include one vice president, two assistant vice presidents, three associate deanship and eight department chairs, will save the university $380,000, the president's report said.

Szilagyi added that the programs facing elimination had been earmarked for a number of years.

"We're talking about low-product programs here," he said. "We can't really say exactly what the impact will or will not be, but it's safe to say it will be small."

Pickering said he is pleased with the amount of feedback he is getting from the community.

"Most of the letters I've gotten have been about the COMD (communication disorders) situation. But I wish there were more solutions included," Pickering said about the university's plan to eliminate the program and the speech and hearing public-access clinic operated in conjunction with it.

Szilagyi, one of the chief architects of the plan, reiterated Pickering's feelings. "We want dialogue. Nothing in that draft is concrete. We extended the deadline to Aug. 1 for that reason. It's not over."

Pickering said he invites the public to tell him what they like and don't like about the draft.

"We have seven weeks left for discussion. We will definitely consider other options if the are brought to our attention," said Pickering.

The final draft is scheduled for completion Aug. 1.

HELTON NAMED COACH

After a three week vacancy Kim Helton was named the University of Houston's head football coach May 21.

Helton brings 11 years of NFL experience, which includes jobs as the offensive line coach for the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, Los Angeles Raiders, Houston Oilers and the Miami Dolphins.

"This is a great opportunity," Helton said.

"You have a chance to have all of the ingredients here to win a national championship. You have an opportunity to build something. We have an outstanding university and soon we will have one of the finest athletic facilities in the country."

UT, A&M STILL ALIVE IN THE COLLEGE WORLD SERIES

Cougar Sports Services

Top-seeded Texas A&M posted an opening round 5-1 victory over No. 8 Kansas in the first game of the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

Lefty Jeff Granger upped his record to 15-3.

Louisiana State downed the Aggies in the second round 13-8. Texas A&M (53-10) will meet Long Beach State in the elimination round at 3:00 p.m. today.

Third-seeded Texas came from behind to beat Oklahoma State 6-5 in Saturday's action. The Longhorns (51-14) advanced to meet Wichita State in Monday night's late game.

COUGAR TRIO PICKED FOR THE BIG LEAGUES

by Patti Warner

Three Cougar baseball players could became former Cougars after they were drafted last week in Major League Baseball's amateur free agent draft.

Infielder Jason McDonald was the top Cougar pick going in the fourth round to the Oakland Athletics. McDonald, who was also a football prospect, finished the season with 20 stolen bases, 39 walks and a .462 on base percentage.

The Texas Rangers selected outfielder Brian Blair in the 17th round. Blair finished the season with a .359 batting average, 40 runs batted in and 17 stolen bases.

Left-handed pitcher Matt Beech went to the Detroit Tigers in the 24th round. Beech, a transfer from Navarro Junior College, led Cougar hurlers with 73 strikeouts.

All three players selected are juniors who will have the option of signing with the team or returning to Houston for their senior season.

A disturbing pattern continued its path with this year's draft. At press time, senior outfielder Phil Lewis had yet to be notified by any team that he had been drafted.

If nothing changes, Lewis will follow former Cougar stars Greyson Lyles and Rusty Smajstrla as players who have exhibited superior skills at Cougar Field and then been overlooked by scouts.

Other Cougar MIA's include junior Ricky Freeman and senior Jeff Wright.

Three Southwest Conference players were selected as first round picks. Texas A&M left-hander Jeff Granger led the way as the fifth pick by the Kansas City Royals.

The Chicago Cubs snagged Texas star Brooks Kieschnick five spots later as the 10th pick, and another Aggie lefty, Kelly Wunsch, went to the Milwaukee Brewers as the 26th pick.

Four Longhorns joined Kieschnick in the draft. The California Angels grabbed slick-fielding shortstop Tim Harkrider in the eighth round, and first baseman Braxton Hickman will join Granger in the Royals' organization as the 15th round pick.

The Astros selected pitcher Jay Vaught in the 22nd round and Greg Hillman joins Kieschnick as the Cubs' 24th round pick.

Other Aggies joining Granger and Wunsch are catcher Rob Trimble (eighth round - New York Yankees), outfielder Brian Thomas (10th round - Rangers), and infielder Robert Lewis (18th round - Cleveland Indians).

The Indians also selected Texas Tech ace Travis Driskill in the fourth round.

NOVEL NCAA'S

COOG TRACKSTERS CLOSE THE BOOK ON '92-'93 SEASON

by Jason Ramirez

It was the best of times . . . It was the worst of times.

Charles Dickens could not have put it any better and neither could the University of Houston track team as its performance at the NCAA track meet added quite a bit of truth to this phrase.

At the NCAA Outdoor Championships held June 2-5 in New Orleans, the Cougar runners fell on some hard times despite an impressive performance by Samuel Jefferson, who finished third and fifth in two events.

Arkansas took home the first place honors with 69 points in the men's division and Louisiana State University won the women's division with 93 points.

The Cougar men's team finished the meet in 25th place, tied with five other schools, including Southern Methodist University, Auburn, Nebraska University, North Carolina State and South Florida University. All teams had 10 points overall.

The women's team fared better than the men's team, finishing in 21st place. They too were tied with Miami, Oklahoma and Villinova. All four teams had 10 points.

Entering the competition, Michelle Collins was the national favorite to win the 200-meter run, but finished a disappointing sixth in the event with a time of 23.27.

The relay teams, which so impressively ran past the competition at the SWC meet, lost De'Angelia Johnson to a pulled hamstring. The loss proved fatal as the 100 and 400-meter relay teams finished sixth and seventh respectively.

Though the NCAA's proved disappointing for the Cougars overall, it was not without its silver lining.

Sam Jefferson was as impressive as he had been all year, placing third in the 100-meter(10.28) and fifth in the 200-meter(20.48) run.

Furthermore, Jefferson's performance was good enough to garner him All-American recognition for both events.

Despite the loss of Johnson, the women's relay teams still earned All-American honors as well.

At the SWC meet held May 19-21, several Cougars displayed impressive showings on their way to a number of first-place finishes.

On the men's side, sophomore Chris Lopez and junior Samuel Jefferson blew past their competition as they both won in their respective events.

Lopez's distance in the triple jump (53'4") was just slightly better than runner-up and teammate, Jermaine Johnson. Jefferson again won the 100 (10.14) and 200 meter (20.32) run for the second year in a row.

There was no stopping the UH women as they swept away the relay competition, winning both the 4X100 and 4X400 events.

The 4X100, consisting of Janine Courville, Cynthia Jackson, Angelia Johnson and Michelle Collins won with a time of 43.96, while the 4X400 relay team of Jackson, Johnson, Collins, and Drexel Long proved victorious with a time of 3:33.87.

However, these victories were not nearly as special as the one posted by Jackson in the 400-meter run. Her time of 52.04 broke the old record (52.10) held by Texas' Leslie Hardison in 1988.

Through it all, the UH track team knew how to enjoy the "best" and deal with the "worst" as they learned that "what goes up, must come down."

Give Sir Isaac Newton credit for that one.