RETROSPECTIVE EXHIBIT FEATURES KAHLO PORTRAITS, BLEEDING HEART

As evidenced by her telling portraits, Frida Kahlo definitely sought to expand the definition of el corazon sangrante.

The bleeding heart.

The recurrent motif, found in the works of many Latino artists, signifies a sense of longing, of pain and spiritual connections.

Painted messages predicated on the theme of the bleeding heart, found most often in Kahlo's self portraits, cut as deeply as the knife wielded by a seemingly unremorseful man -- who left a naked, mortally wounded woman to die on a bed -- featured in "Unos Cuantos Piquetitos."

The oil painting, rendered in the tradition of the Mexican retablo style, is one of about 70 paintings, prints and drawings featured at the Museum of Fine Arts' retrospective survey exhibit. Kahlo's definition of suffering, derived from a set of dark experiences, is simple.

She took a harrowing experience, such as the time she sustained injuries to her spinal cord and foot in a bus accident, and used the moment rife with tragedy as a reference for future works. Although she created a pencil drawing that depicts the scene of the accident, Kahlo best represents the idea of being broken physically in "La Columna Pota," an oil on canvas self portrait mounted on masonite.

The painting, rich in symbolism and metaphor, essentially deifies Frida by presenting her as larger than life. Her spinal cord, broken in places, bears more resemblance to a Grecian column than one composed of bone and cartilage.

In fact, most of her self portraits feature a woman who knows not only her own mortality, but also that of her husband Diego Rivera.

The second gallery houses many of these, in addition to some vibrant still lifes. "Lagrimas de Coco," another oil on masonite painting, features coconuts that cry coconut tears. A red, white and green Mexican flag placed near the coconuts and papaya adds emotional depth to the painting.

The crying fruit could symbolize followers of leader Emiliano Zapata, a man who fought on behalf of less fortunate laborers. Or the children who have been separated from their mother.

Although appreciating Kahlo for the struggles she endured and the times she lived on the edge is considered 'de riguer,' what seems to be at the heart of the exhibit is a statement concerning the depth of the human heart.

She pays homage to her forebears with a pencil drawing that presents both sides of her family. Her father, Guillermo Kahlo, is pictured in a family photo; some of his photos are featured in an accompanying exhibit on Kahlo's contemporaries.

Clearly, no matter how far she travelled, whether the destination was the Motor City or San Francisco, her heart always remained in Mexico.

The sense of longing is perhaps most evident in "Alla Cuelga Mi Vestido," an oil and collage painting on masonite that is focused on Kahlo's Tehuana costume. Within the seemingly Mexican-oriented painting, images invoke the idea of the Supreme Court while yet another image of protesters gathered creates contrast in the work, speaking to the sense of isolation and frustration of living in a foreign land.

In several works Kahlo addresses the subject of her miscarriage. Seemingly in an effort to deflect attention away from her personal suffering, she also painted subjects that speak to fertility, rebirth and nurturing.

Portraits of Marte Gomez, Lola Alvarez-Bravo, Luther Burbank, Eva Frederick, and Alicia Galant are rich in color and indicate a mastery of contour representation.

The exhibit makes a profound statement: The heart is at the center of the world of Frida Kahlo.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Faculty day

Houston City Council honored 41 UH faculty members Wednesday by proclaiming it UH Faculty Recognition Day.

City Councilman Jim Greenwood presented those faculty members who had received national or international recognition with a certificate during a breakfast at the Plaza Club.

Following the breakfast, Mayor Bob Lanier presented President James Pickering with a formal resolution signed by Lanier and the 14 City Council members.

Also attending were Harris County Judge Jon Lindsay and Councilwoman Sheila Jackson Lee.

This is the fourth annual recognition program sponsored by Greenwood for UH faculty.

"We started this program because we wanted to honor those faculty members who had achieved outstanding accomplishments in the previous year," said Greenwood.

"We're honoring people from areas ranging from architecture to education, and poetry to space engineering. This diversity makes us a valuable resource to Houston," Pickering said.

"This is the first time we've done this off-campus. In the past it's been on-campus or at the Melcher House," he added.

Dean pleads guilty

Joseph Cioch, former dean of the hotel and restaurant management college, pled guilty last Tuesday to charges stemming from padding his expense account.

The former dean was charged with theft by a public servant, a third-degree felony. Cioch received one year probation on deferred adjudication of guilt, a form of probation that allows him to clear his record of the charge upon successful completion of his probation. Cioch must also pay $590 of restitution.

HONEST WORK

SINGER SHAWN COLVIN WEARS HER MUSICAL HEART ON HER SLEEVE

Shawn Colvin had a lot to prove.

Touring on the success of a Grammy-winning debut and the new, highly-touted Fat City release, Colvin blew into Houston's Tower Theater on Monday night with a big reputation, a band recently added for live performances and the duty of translating her chatty, personal stage presence in a venue decidedly different than Fitzgerald's, where she played just over a year ago.

Fortunately enough for fans, she was, for the most part, able to pull it off with a tight, two-hour and two encore set showcasing a range of folk, country and blues influences.

Colvin is best known as a songwriter with her heart on her sleeve, writing narrative and autobiographical songs covering sometimes painful situations. Whether it's smoldering ballads or catchy pop, Colvin's focus is always on the personal.

While such ground has been plod by other women songwriters10,000 Maniacs' Natalie Merchant and fellow folkie Michelle Shocked to name twothe catch is breaking out of the waiflike role and evading it just enough to expand the repertoire. Before a packed house at the Tower, Colvin did just that, albeit somewhat predictably.

Taking the stage just after 9 p.m., Colvin was able to shape even gentle ballads with a dash of blues, Southern rock, bluegrass and country. None was too adventurous and Colvin stayed within familiar bounds, but strayed away just enough to give fans a different side of her music that doesn't come out on recordings.

Songs like "Tennessee," "Another Round of Blues" and "She's Gonna Find True Love," which come across as pleasant folk-pop on the tape deck, simmered live, with Colvin and her bandmates injecting playful bop and new jack swing.

Even slow songs like "Object of My Affection" were retooled on stage to give them a foot-stomping roadhouse feel.

Many fans know Colvin to be a creature of the crowd, her enthusiasm mirroring theirs. With an especially rowdy Houston bunch, Colvin took the nod from the fans who wanted to see her jam.

She was also willing to talk, detailing shows in Los Angeles and Austin, the daily grind of the tour and even swapping lines from movies. Colvin was happy to chat with catcallers and take requests, no dollar-in-the-hat needed.

On ballads, Colvin poured on the emotion, while hinting at the kinetic energy fueling the show. "I Don't Know Why," "Monopoly" and "Orion in the Sky" all snapped at their own soulful groove aided by Colvin's crisp vocals. Road work or not, Colvin's voice came across clear and slid easily from blues to ballads.

The Fat City Tour, which started April 16, marks the first major tour where Colvin appears with a band accompaniment. On her last tour, Colvin went at it with just a guitar. Making the transition seemed smooth enough.

Early on in the set, she seemed overwhelmed by a cascade of sound on songs like "Polaroids." As things continued, however, she found her niche in the wall of sound and played off the band. Jamming on songs like Linda Ronstadt's "Tracks of My Tears" and the soul classic "Just My Imagination," it seemed hard to imagine Colvin without the band.

Much of the crowd looked lost as Colvin launched into a healthy dose of her early material. No mattershe seemed obliging enough to orient the new fans while delivering the goods to the old.

Opener Darden Smith also turned in a solid performance. A road veteran, he has an opportunity to hone his show with energy and humor.

Smith alternated between guitar and keyboard during his solo set for a pleasing 40 minutes, plus encore. He was at home playing alone on stage, alternating between guitar and keyboard. And, while the crowd didn't seem to recognize songs from his newest release, Little Victories ("That's 15 people who bought it," he quipped to the scattered cheers for its mention), it's a safe bet many left the Tower remembering him.

ON CAMPUS

Veterans of World War II and their families, undoubtedly bruised emotionally by the scourge of war, once lived in trailer homes where the College of Business Administration stands.

"On the Rise in Texas: Houston and the University of Houston, 1927-1963," an exhibit positioned in the lobby of M.D. Anderson Library, tells the story of the rapidly expanding city and university through photographs, newspaper clippings and documents.

Other featured items include a Houstonian yearbook the size of a menu, a photograph of then-President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and a program from the dedication ceremony of the Ezekiel Cullen building.

CAMP ATTRACTS FUN, KIDS, ELVIS

by Annette Baird

Brian White lives for summer and for Camp Cougar. "When I'm not at camp I dream of the next time I get to be there," he said.

"It's spectacular," White said of this year's camp. The two week-long summer camps, held on the UH campus, are hosted by UH in connection with the Mental Health and Mental Retardation Authority for people with mental disabilities.

"I like the games and the horsing around with the counselors and my friends," White said. Counselors and programmers are volunteers from both area high schools and UH. Gwynn Lewis, director of the camp, said, "Without volunteers it (camp) wouldn't happen."

Bethanie Williams, a senior psychology major at UH, started as a counselor in high school and now works as assistant director. Williams said, "I had so much fun the first week I did it, I just wanted to keep coming back."

"It's addictive," Karen Manison, assistant director, said about working at the camp.

Camp is residential, running Sunday through Friday. Kickball, swimming, a petting zoo, music and drama are just a few of the activities.

As part of the evening activities, a talent show is planned each Thursday night. White will be entertaining campers with renditions of Elvis songs. "I know them all," he said.

Twenty-five campers take part in Camp Cougar, about 30 counsellors and programmers supervise them, and three assistant directors and one director co-ordinate the program. A nurse is on hand 24 hours a day.

DEBT ENDS CAMPUS CHECK-CASHING

by Robert Arnold

The large debt UH incurs each year from returned checks led to the May 31 closing of all check cashing facilities and the installation of new ATM machines.

Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for administration and finance, began researching UH's debt problem after receiving information about a student who had deliberately written several hot checks.

"I was curious as to how we (UH) handled delinquent acounts and returned checks. I found out (the answer was) not very well," said Boyd.

The university at the end of 1992 had accumulated a total of $783,000 in returned checks from students and $12,538 from employees. This amount includes checks written for tuition and fees as well as checks written for cash.

According to the finance and accounting department, the university has acquired a debt of $70,000 from bad checks in a recent six month period. However, it is estimated that only $17,500 of this debt is from checks being cashed on campus.

"Even though the amount of bad checks from the check cashing facilities is a small one, closing the facilities was the most effective way to cut down on the amount of bad checks without disrupting the methods students use to pay the university for tuition, books, housing, and the like," said Boyd.

Boyd also said the majority of the money lost from bad checks is never regained.

"We can't press charges with the DA's office because the amount of most of the returned checks are too small and the DA won't accept the case," said Boyd.

Judy Viebig, interim director of finance and accounting, said strict enforcements have been placed on students writing bad checks to the university.

When a student writes a bad check to the university the student is sent a notice giving them 10 days to make restitution. If payment has not been made in the alloted time period, that student is dropped from all classes.

"Before, a student could write a bad check for tuition and housing payment and still be able to attend class and live on campus for an entire semster, because the student's account would not show as being delinquent until the end of the semester, " said Viebig.

If a student is dropped from all classes notification is sent to the Housing Department stating the student is no longer eligible to live on campus.

When a student makes restitution for the bad check all charges are dropped from the student's account, but their name is kept on file.

If a person writes another bad check to the university, no matter what the time period is between writing the two bad checks, their name is placed on a master check list.

When a person's name appears on this list they are no longer allowed to pay the university with a personal check.

Phyllis Bradley, UH bursar, said a person can have their name removed from the list by petitioning the bursar's office one year after the deliquent checks have been paid.

"The closing of the check cashing facilities has taken some of the burden off the bursar's office. We have cut down on the amount of on-hand cash and have to spend less time monitoring returned checks," said Bradley.

The university is trying to find new positions for those employees who worked in the check cashing facilities.

"Most of these employees have other duties than check cashing, but the ones who do not are being placed in other areas of the business office," said Viebig.

The university is planning to lease space to Enterprise Bank for the installation of two new ATM machines.

Ben Carter, vice president and manager of the Enterprise Bank located on the UH campus, said the new ATM will be installed in the UC Satellite by June 15, and in Oberholtzer Hall by the fall semester.

Carter said the bank is negotiating to pay UH $250 a month for the use of the two spaces.

Students and faculty will still be able to cash personal checks, up to $50, at the Enterprise Bank in the UC for a 50 cent fee.

SCULPTURE DEPARTMENT FIGHTS FOR LIFE

by Annette Baird

The sculpting, jewelry and ceramics programs are fighting for their lives.

The phasing out of the entire three-dimensional program in the Fine Arts department is in the cards if the the recommendations in the UH President's Report becomes a reality.

"To eliminate all three programs would be to eliminate the entire 3-D program. All students studying art need to have experience with 3-D art," said James Pipkin, dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication.

Three graduate students are currently in the sculpting program, 16 undergraduates are majoring in sculpture and many other students, especially in architecture and education, also take sculpting classes, said Paul Kittleson, visiting assistant professor.

"It is a disaster, a huge disaster. They pretend to call themselves a major university in the fourth largest city in the US. To be without a sculpture department makes the university a laughing stock," said Mike Galbreth, a former student in Fine Arts and now part of Art Guys in Houston.

A university without philosophy, or poetry, or creative writing or business is not a university, Galbreth said. "Offering a wide variety of subjects creates a cultural diversity. You can't measure it in dollars," he added.

The 3-D program may have been targeted due to space problems, Pipkin said. "We believe we have solved those problems entirely. We have identified the appropriate space in the Fine Arts building. It will be vacated by the music staff when they move into the new music building, scheduled for ground-breaking in 1995," Pipkin added.

The sculpting program is currently housed in the South Park Annex which is shared with the engineering department.

Another possible reason for targeting these three programs is that each area of study has only one faculty member with additional support of part-time staff, said Pipkin.

"You can't have an art department without 3-D subjects. It is one of the fundamentals in an art program. The whole art department would suffer. It would be a serious blow to the Houston arts community," Kittleson said.

The UH sculpting program has strong ties with the Houston arts community, Kittleson said.

Graduates have gone on to do public art projects for the city. Buffalo Bayou Art Park has put together temporary outdoor sculpture in downtown Houston since 1990, Kittleson added.

Steps are being taken to fight the proposals. The Fine Arts department has been invited by the University Policy and Planning Committee to a make a presentation, Pipkin said. "The next step is to write to President Pickering with the support of the UPPC on our position," Pipkin added.

Without a sculpting program at UH, students would have to go to the University of Texas in Austin to get a degree in sculpting. Rice University offers sculpture as part of an art degree.

TUITION COSTS STILL GOOD DEAL, DESPITE FEE HIKE

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Climbing tuition costs for undergraduate and graduate students means freshmen starting at UH this fall will pay about $240 more in tuition for a four-year degree than students who recently graduated.

"Due to legislation amended by the 72nd Legislature, undergraduate students can expect to pay $2 more per credit hour, which will be $26, and an additional $2 each year until 1997," said Mary Rubright, the executive director of planning and budgeting.

The increase doubles to $4 for graduate students -- to $52 from $48 per credit hour.

"This is a legislative mandate that all public schools must conform to," she said.

The decision was made in April by the Board of Trustees who were able to make an institutional decision to increase the rate for graduate students

"State universities have been lucky to survive with low tuition," said Rep. Diana Davila, D--Houston. "Up until now, the state has been able to provide state universities with adequate funding," she said.

"Increasing the cost per credit hour is a mechanism for raising more funding, " she said, "but we have to be careful as to who it will effect."

Some UH students are not surprised by the increase.

"It's expected because UH doesn't get any money," said Diane Lee, a sophomore in pre-nursing.

Kelly Babb, a senior drama major, said, "Because of the downturn in the Texas economy, I'm not surprised."

Many students are aware of the comparably lower costs at Texas schools than schools in other states.

UT, Texas A&M, University of North Texas, and Stephen F. Austin will charge the same amount as UH in the fall.

Public universities' charges per credit hour from around the nation range from $42.75 per credit hour at Oklahoma State University to $75 a credit at the University of Tennessee.

The ability to use differential tuition was also passed. This system of allowing the colleges to charge their own fees is used by the College of Optometry and the Law Center.

In the fall, the Law Center will charge $120 per credit hour and the College of Optometry's charge will be $52 per credit hour.

KIRBY, HARTON, MCNEELY LAND NEW BB COACHING SPOTS

The University of Houston basketball program came one step closer to filling all of its coaching positions on Monday, when coach Alvin Brooks named Robert Kirby and Clifton McNeely to his staff. Brooks also promoted administrative assistant Ray Harton to a full-time assistant position.

Kirby joins the Cougar basketball staff after serving as an assistant coach at Mississippi State University during the past four seasons.

"He is highly professional and he has a good work ethic," coach Brooks said. "He was the recruiting coordinator for Mississippi and has a great eye for evaluating talent."

While Kirby was at Mississippi State, the Bulldogs posted two recruiting classes that were ranked in the top 30 nationwide.

McNeely comes to the Cougar camp after serving as a part-time assistant at Southern Methodist during the 1988-90 seasons, and then again in 1991-92.

Dedicated to his commitment of academic excellence, Brooks found McNeely's background appropriate for his program.

"He has outstanding credentials and he has the type of commitment that we look for," Brooks said. "He has a master's in liberal arts, and he has also been teaching high school calculus."

No stranger to the Cougar program, Ray Harton received the full-time assistant promotion after serving as an administrative assistant and part-time assistant during the past five years at Houston.

Harton came to the University of Houston after serving as the head coach at North Garland High School for 10 seasons.

"Because I was a high school coach for 10 years and a member of the Texas Association of Coaches, I have contacts in Texas that will make it easier to reach the Texas kids. I hope I can bridge the gap between the kids and the university."

Brooks and Harton have worked closely together during the past five years and this factor will add to the program.

"We will have a good mix on the staff, especially since Alvin and I have worked together. I am excited to work with him," said Harton.

UT,A&M OUT OF CWS

Tuesday's action proved fatal to the two Southwest Conference teams involved in the College World Series as top-seed Texas A&M and third-seeded Texas were eliminated from the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

The Aggie defense fell apart during the 6-2 loss to Long Beach State. Texas A&M fielders committed three physical errors as well as numerous mental errors to practically eliminate themselves. The Longhorns were just as generous.

During Monday night's game, Texas blew a convincing 6-1 lead in the eighth inning to lose 7-6 to Wichita State.

Tuesday's elimination game proved to be much of the same.

Texas had a 5-1 lead over Oklahoma State only to see the game tied at five in the eighth. After taking a 6-5 lead on a balk call, the Longhorns went to their ace, Brooks Kieschnick, to close the game.

For the second consecutive year, Kieschnick gave up a crucial home run in the ninth that eventually cost the Longhorns the game.

OSU advanced with the 7-6 victory to face Wichita State Thursday.

GYM SHORTS

Track

A familiar Cougar face keeps appearing on the pages of some pretty heady magazine publications.

Junior sprinter Samuel Jefferson first appeared in the June seventh issue of <I>Sports Illustrated<P> in the "Faces in the Crowd" portion of the magazine. Not to be outdone, <I>Track and Field<P> has also highlighted Jefferson's accomplishments in its July issue in the "Making Tracks" section.

Jefferson was honored by the publications for his accomplishments at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Jefferson finished in third place in the 100 meters with a time of 10.28 and fifth place in the 200 meters with a time of 20.48.

There has also been quite a bit of activity off the track. The Cougars have signed eight new recruits in preparation for the 1993-94 track and field season.

Sprinter Lamont Smith, who hails from Willingboro High School, the same high school that the ever famous Cougar Carl Lewis is from is transferring from Blinn in the fall.

Stacey Sparks, another sprinter from Sammamisch High School in Washington has also signed with the Cougars.

Jean Marc Destine, an 800 meter runner from Elizabeth High School in New Jersey will be in Houston when fall rolls around.

Straight from Corpus Christi, cross country runner Jennifer Lopez, from Calallen High School will be hitting the Cougar track.

The other half of the new recruits are hometown athletes.

Yvonne Williams, a middle distance runner from Jersey Village High School has signed with the Cougars.

Joquin Torres, a distance runner who ran for McArthur High School will also be a Cougar.

Rounding out the list are Raymond Sambrano from Langham Creek High School and Robert Christian from Memorial High School.

Baseball

There is a bright future for freshman J.J. Matzke who was awarded national honors from <I>Collegiate Baseball<P> and <I>Baseball America<P> magazines. His accolades were well-deserved after a season that included a .397 average, good enough to lead the Southwest Conference.

He was also named First-Team Freshman All-America by <I>Collegiate Baseball<P>, and Third-Team All-American by <I>Baseball America<P>.