NEWSLINE

Council OKs plans

The Undergraduate Council voted on Wednesday to pass a bill to merge the French, German and Hispanic and Classical Languages departments into the Department of Modern and Classical Languages.

The merger will be effective in the fall '93 semester and the department will be headed by Spanish Professor Harold Raley.

In addition, the council voted not to pass a bill which would merge the biochemical and biophysical departments.

The proposal will be sent back to the College of Natural Science and Mathematics for further discussion.

Alumni come through

University of Houston alumni donations put UH eighth from the top on a nationwide list of university fund raising successes.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reported that UH alumni gave $37.2 million during 1991-92. Although overall giving to private institutions was still greater than to public schools, the reports says the gap is shrinking.

Harvard University topped the list of "Top 20 in Total Giving" with more than $206 million in donations. Their alumni support totaled $77.5 million, the highest in the nation.

UH not only led the state in alumni giving but also took in more donations than schools like Columbia University ($36.5 million), University of Michigan ($26.5 million) and Vanderbilt University ($19.5 million).

*******************************************************

ABSOLUTE POWER

During Monday night’s Students’ Association meeting, the executive members submitted budget overhaul legislation that was approved despite bypassing committee review.

Basically, they moved existing monies around to accomplish two specific goals: "a fresh, new look" for their office area and an aggressive marketing campaign.

There are a couple of basic problems with the executive branch taking $7,000 of students’ money (SA is funded solely by almost $94,000 in student service fees) from where the senators approved it to be spent and line-iteming it elsewhere.

Only nine of nineteen senators were at the meeting. Two voted against the bill. How indicative is this representation of what UH students want? Who asked them? Who cares? It is relatively easy to believe that had the executive branch thought the matter through, instead of preparing an error-ridden budget amendment, they would have realized the interests they are serving are their own. Not the students’.

Rather than spend an unspecified amount of money on T-shirts and posters, why not do the leg-work of getting out and doing what President Clinton does best. He may support legislation that vexes voters, but he’s often on the road at least acting like he cares.

When was the last time any colleges’ students collectively met with its senators (although a bill has been sponsored to require this unusual step)? When have the president, vice president and other members of the cabinet canvased the needs of the students? How can SA market itself before establishing itself as an organization interested in more than fresh paint and colorful T-shirts?

University students deserve, indeed have paid for, a representative Students’ Association to cater to their needs -- not the needs of the executives and their whimsical spending on whimsical follies.

HOME BREW

With a packed house grooving to the sounds of Onyx, Pharcyde and others, Houston got its first taste of what organizers say is long overdue – a coffee-house style hangout with a hip-hop theme.

Thursday "The Hip-Hop Coffee Shop" dropped at Hoi Polloi, 3601 White Oak, with plans to put on similar events in July.

The coffee shop is a collective project between hip-hop DJs at KPFT, KTRU and KTSU, musicians and others interested in building venues for the city’s non-mainstream hip-hop scene.

"People are out there hungry for something, and not everybody’s into the gangster scene," said Mad Matt Sonsalla, a club DJ, host of KPFT’s Sunday night "Strictly Hip-Hop" program and a co-organizer of the event. "I like a lot of the stuff coming out on Rap-A-Lot, but this is going to be something different."

Over the past few weeks, the event has been hyped across the radio dial, from KTRU’s Saturday night "Bassline 9-1-7 Zone" hip-hop show to "Strictly Hip-Hop" and Thursday morning’s "Street Vibe" show on KPFT to KTSU’s Saturday morning "Kidz Jam" program, the city’s longest-running independent hip-hop show.

The Hip-Hop Coffee Shop is unique in that it combines live performance and club elements.

With local hip-hop crews Maddhouse and Modyrn Day Raggz performing, mixes by city DJs Eric C. and Lord Vishnu and a $2 cover, pitching the event to listeners wasn’t hard.

Thirty minutes before the scheduled opening, a crowd was in line outside the venue. By 10 p.m., a diverse grouping was in the house in numbers.

However, the Hip-Hop Coffee Shop’s success is as much a testament to amiable relations among hip-hop DJs in Houston, Sonsalla said.

"In some cities, there’s an aspect of competition," he said. "We haven’t had that. We all want to see each other succeed. Chill Will (DJ of "Bassline 9-1-7 Zone") hangs out at our show and we go to his. We’re all together trying to get the word out on the show."

Unlike its closest cousin, Niteshift, which combined funk, jazz, hip-hop and poetry, The Hip-Hop Coffee Shop will be dedicated exclusively to getting hip-hop to the masses.

Closing the night were open-mic freestyles. Freestyling is exactly what the name sounds like. It’s a style of rap in which participants fire off rhymes spontaneously to whatever the DJs throw on the turntables. No pre-arranged raps or choreography are used.

Plans are underway for two more coffee shops in July. The goal will be to make the Coffee Shop a weekly event.

"I’d like to see where we can do the Hip-Hop Coffee Shop all the time," Matt said. "It can only get better once people come out and support it."

Among the performers being considered for future Coffee Shops include local hip-hoppers Alphabet Soup, Poetic Souls, Darkside and Rap-A-Lot’s Odd Squad.

HOMOSEXUALS OUT OF CLOSET INTO HOUSTON COMMUNITY

Sound Advice

Rebecca McPhail

It's hard to believe in this enlightened era that many people are still willing to discriminate against homosexuals.

They're our neighbors, friends and family members. They act in the movies we watch, sing the songs we listen to and write the plays we wait in line to see. They cook our food, teach our children and, regulations notwithstanding, serve in the armed forces that protect our country.

In short, they're ordinary people and this is their week.

Gay and Lesbian Pride Week kicked off last Friday and will culminate this Saturday in one of the Southwest's largest Gay Pride parades on lower Westheimer.

Thursday

<I>Opening Moves<P> <B>exhibition at Moody, McMurtrey, Parkerson, Robinson, Davis-McClain, Hooks-Epstein, New Gallery and Lynn Goode galleries.

Galleries at Colquitt and Lake streets<P>

UH students get a chance to show their works at local galleries. The price is steep for a student budget - $50, but the proceeds go to a good cause - the UH Art Scholarship and Fellowship Fund. For information and reservations call 743-3001.

Sunday

<B>Houston Gay and Lesbian Pride Week Parade

Lower Westheimer<P>

The parade kicks off at 4 p.m. and travels from Woodhead to Montrose. For more information call 529-6979

<B>Houston Gay and Lesbian Pride Week Rally at Spotts Park

Waugh at Memorial<P>

Houston's gay community and their supporters are invited to take part in the celebration from 6 - 10 p.m. Comedians, food booths and public speakers will be featured. The evening will end in a fireworks display at 10 p.m. Admission is free. For more information call 529-6979.

PARENTS BALANCE BILLS, BOOKS, AND BABIES

by Marla Crawford

Taking a full course load and doing well in class is hard enough for some students.

Others also have jobs, making it a little tougher.

But many others have yet another role to fill in addition to being a student -- the role of a single parent.

While UH does not have statistics on the number of single parents attending the university, the UH Child Care Center estimates that about 18 percent of the enrolled children come from single parent families.

According to the 1990 Harris County Census of Population and Housing, 11 percent of households are headed by single parents. Eighty percent of those single parents are female.

Erin Watts, a senior elementary education major, has a 3-year-old daughter and both of them live with her mother. She admits that when she entered college after high school, she "goofed off." She left school but eventually returned at age 25, when her daughter was nine months old.

"I found I do a lot better. I have a motivation now . . . I'm more independent and responsible. I want to make a better life for her," says Watts, who now has a 3.6 GPA.

Watts works at the child care center as a teacher's aide. During the summer session, her day begins at 6:15 a.m. -- helping her daughter bathe, dress and feed herself. She arrives at the center by 7:30 a.m. to drop her daughter off before she attends two classes.

After classes, she works at the center until it closes at 6 p.m. Twelve hours later, she and her daughter head home.

"I have an hour and a half to spend with her," Watts says. "I can't keep her up late." After she puts her daughter to bed, Watts says she studies for about two hours.

"I stay home from school if she's sick. If it's long-term, I'll quit work -- my child comes first," she says.

Beth Morrison, another single parent, also majors in education and has a 10-year-old daughter. Morrison, 37, reentered school two years ago and has been living with her sister. Fifteen years ago, she was a nursing student and had earned 90 hours before she quit. As a single parent, it was important to her that she return to school.

"Otherwise, I would make minimum wage and be on welfare the rest of my life," Morrison says. She has hopes of earning a master's degree in library science after she graduates in 1994.

Balancing the time spent on her studies and the time spent with her daughter is tough for Morrison.

"I have this person who I have to talk to and pay attention to -- I can't let that go, so I let my studies go. I can't stay up until 2 a.m. studying."

Not having a car makes the balancing act a little more difficult for Morrison. She is up at 5:30 a.m. to catch the bus for the hour-long ride to UH. The most unsettling aspect of riding the bus is not knowing exactly when she will get home in the afternoon to be with her daughter, she says.

Morrison works part-time in the mornings at the child care center and takes afternoon classes during the fall and spring semesters. She discovered the child care center after she visited the job placement center and saw a notice on the bulletin board about a position available there.

Linda Rodriguez is earning her master's degree in counseling. She is raising her 3-year-old daughter herself. Rodriguez says she has to deal with the accompanying guilt of going to school and not being able to spend the kind of quality time with her daughter she would like.

Rodriguez has taught at an elementary school for five years and takes classes during the summer.

One of Rodriguez's goals is to work with single mothers to help them get motivated in improving themselves. She says the biggest problem is worrying about what to do with her children -- who will take care of them. She heard about UH's child care center from someone she worked with.

"Many don't have the support. Many don't have coping skills," she says.

"Many single mothers find teacher's aide positions. There are things you can do. It depends on how much incentive and get-up-and-go you have. They need to know what's available -- like work-study programs."

The fees for children of UH students begin at $50 for part-time care and $80 for full-time care at the center. It is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Those attending freshman orientation who are interested in fulfilling the role of single parent while managing a course load may also use the facilities.

RESHAPING’S WOES AND WONDERS

Proposed bio, biochem merger has profs wary

by Annette Baird

The proposed merger of the Biology and Biochemistry depart-ments has created dissent from both faculty and students.

Biochemistry graduate students cite fear of sharing their expensive equipment, fear of having to spend more time teaching and less time on research, and fear of their loss of identity as some of their major concerns, said Robert Setterquist, vice president of the Biochemistry Graduate Student Organization and a Ph.D. candidate in biochemistry.

Add confusion to the fear. "Many people don't know what's going on," Tammy McGovern, a master’s student in biology, said.

"I am not aware of anyone in our department who is in favor of this merger," said George Fox, a professor of biochemistry. "It doesn't make sense. It's a step backward. Biochemistry and biology are separate disciplines," Fox added.

"If there was a vote for a merger, I would say the vote would be in favor of staying in our own departments. We lose a lot of our autonomy," said Dan Wells, who will start in September as the biology chair.

John Bear, dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, proposed the merger in an effort to "increase efficiency and excellence."

"I have a responsibility as a dean to build the best programs, and to have the best faculty, and to give students the highest quality education they can get. People don't have to agree. I have to do what is right," Bear said.

Duplication of effort could be reduced if the merger were to take place, Wells said.

Wells said a lot of courses are similar at the undergraduate level; for instance, a molecular biology class offered by the Biology Department is similar to a nucleic acids class offered in biochemistry. "The research we're doing is integrated with biochemistry. It forces us to talk more," Wells said.

A consensus of opinion among those interviewed was that they did not feel they had been made a part of the decision-making process. "No one has done an external review to look into the merger," Fox said.

Bear has never formally polled staff in either department about whether or not they favored the merger, Wells said. "Part of the problem is the process has not been as open as it should be," Wells added.

Rosalee Maddocks, a professor of geoscience, said that at a recent Undergraduate Council meeting, a university level of review, the council had seen nothing in writing concerning the merger except the one formal proposal from Bear.

"It is customary when a proposition comes forward that it is reviewed at the department level, then at the college level and then at the university level. We want to be sure the whole college has looked at it," Maddocks, who is chairwoman of the undergraduate council, said.

No mention of merging appears in the by-laws of the college, Bear said. "We had to go to the Governance Committee to interpret the by-laws for a merger," he said.

Bear formed a restructuring committee last fall with two representatives from the departments of Biology, Biochemistry and Chemistry. David Tu, a professor of biochemistry and chairman of that committee, said, "(The committee) was meant to be a starting point for deliberation and discussion."

Tu favors maintaining two separate departments. Right now, it is a healthy situation, Tu said. "We are asking the dean to give us a year. Give us a chance to show him we can do just as well, if not better, without one unit," Tu said.

Bear acknowledges that faculty don't want to be merged. "We have had numerous meetings with faculty of both departments and we are trying to work something out. We are still negotiating," he said.

John Butler, a professor of geosciences, is temporarily in charge of both departments to begin overseeing the merger process, said Brian McKinney, a staff associate at the office of vice presidential affairs.

"I don't see a problem with it personally," Chris Seid, a Ph.D. candidate in biology, said. "I've been associated with other universities when there has been a merger going on and I never saw a detrimental effect. It usually makes a department stronger," Seid said.

RESHAPING: ‘DIFFICULT, BUT WE DID IT’

by Kristine Fahrenholz

"Although doing things for the first time is always difficult, we (the UPPC) did it," said Stephen Huber, a law professor and chair of the University Policy and Planning Council, which is largely responsible for the university’s reshaped look.

"The big success is that it happened," he added.

The uppermost topic at Wednesday’s Faculty Senate meeting was just how well the past year’s reshaping went.

The senate discussed the role UPPC played in the reshaping since the council serves an advisory role to UH President James Pickering.

During the reshaping process, UPPC discussed the component analyses submitted by every unit of the university and made recommendations to Pickering for his reshaping document.

"The main difficulty in leading the effort was the ability to remain neutral," Huber said.

The fundamental principles of the UPPC are that everything is on the table for discussion; meetings are open to the public; there should be no need to resort to detailed procedures; and the administration should be cut more than academics.

Huber added that reshaping is a process, not an event.

Although the UPPC assisted in the reshaping process, not every aspect of the process was considered smooth.

"I don't see that the UPPC went back and talked with the departments or colleges," said Ernst Leiss, a computer science professor.

"We should have thought about these issues without the budget crisis," said Judy Myers, assistant to the director of the library.

"My advice in using component analyses is never again," Huber said.

Deans of various colleges approached the process differently. Some were helpful and some were not, Myers added.

Pickering included some surprises in the draft document, such as phasing out physical education requirements. The final draft is due in August.

LANGUAGE MERGER HAS PROFESSORS OPTIMISTIC

by Heather Wolk

The College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication is proposing to merge the departments of French, German and Hispanic and Classical Languages into a consolidated department of Modern and Classical Languages.

The proposed fall 1994 merger will not involve additional funds and will lead to a small net savings, said James Pipkin, dean of the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communications.

Reducing the number of department chairs to one from three and eliminating two administrative salaries and two summer salaries will account for the small savings.

However, Pipkin added that the proposed merger was not due to budget cuts.

"We are not doing this to save money. The motive was to respond to the question of 'How can we most effectively teach foreign language in light of what is happening with the reshaping and what's happening in the state?'," said Pipkin .

Consolidation of these departments will encourage efficiency in teaching and a better use of limited resources, Pipkin said.

"We hope to encourage team teaching and more cooperative work at the lower-level languages and we hope it will bring the faculty closer together," said Pipkin.

Spanish Profressor Harold Raley has been elected chair of the proposed Modern and Classical Language Department.

"By pooling our resources, people could specialize in certain areas. I think each language would like to maintain its identity, so we will try to preserve the integrity of each unit," Raley said.

Spanish Professor Roberta Fernandez said she is optimistic about the change.

"My position is that I'm looking forward to working with new people. It gives us an opportunity to work as a team and face new challenges," said Fernandez.

Each department chair now reports to the director of the Language Laboratory, who in turn reports directly to the dean.

However, to increase efficiency, the merger will require the chair of the Modern and Classical Language Department to report directly to the dean of HFAC, eliminating middle men.

The proposed merger will affect 229 student majors, 84 minors and 29 graduate students currently enrolled in these three fields of study, the proposal said.

UH OFFERS LAB FREE TO GOOD HOME

by Kristine Fahrenholz

As part of the university-wide reshaping, the Human Development Laboratory School may be moved from the College of Technology, to the . . . well, it seems as if no one is quite sure just where the laboratory should go.

The University Planning and Policy Council on Monday discussed the fate of the lab, which functions as a research, development and training unit. The UPPC is overseeing the university’s reshaping.

Bernard McIntyre, dean of the College of Technology, said the laboratory should remain in the College of Technology but should obtain new leadership.

The former director of the Human Development Laboratory, Rheta Devries, doesn't think so.

"We have provided leadership at a national level in the field of early education," she said.

According to UH President James Pickering, the laboratory school would fit in better at the College of Education.

The interim dean of the College of Education, Judith Walker de Felix, doesn't agree.

"We see the city of Houston as our laboratory," she said. "We want people out in the real school world," she added.

Some UPPC members think the College of Social Sciences is an option for housing the laboratory school.

The lab serves as a model demonstration program of child care and education as well as a site for faculty and staff research.

The lab has a classroom for children ages two to three, a classroom for kindergarten children, and two classrooms for children from three to five.

Lab teachers develop activities and study concepts such as parent-child interaction, principles of teaching and imaginative play.

McIntyre decided that a board of directors was better suited to the lab than one director.

"The college can't afford to give a one-course teaching load to what was the director of the program," McIntyre said.

"It's a weak model that will not work," Devries said.

She added that McIntyre has caused mental anguish within the department.

The final reshaping draft, which will include the fate of the laboratory, is due in August.

TRACK WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AWAIT COLLINS AND JEFFERSON

Michele Collins and Sam Jefferson earned round-trip tickets to the Track and Field World Championships in Stutgart, Germany after qualifying performances at the USA Mobil Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

The meet, which was held in Eugene, Oregon, June 16-19, was crucial for Collins and Jefferson in order for them to advance for the championships.

Collins responded to her call of duty in the 400-meter dash, finishing third with a time of 51.77.

Due to her finish in the 400 Collins is also eligible to run in the 400-meter relay.

Jefferson accomplished two goals at one time at the USATF meet. Not only he is eligible for the World Championships but he also qualified for the World University Games in Buffalo, New York in August.

Jefferson, in competition with Olympic medalists, ran a 10.27 in the 100 meters at the USATF for 8th place.

Jefferson also qualified to run on the 4-by-100 meters relay team at the championships.

HELTON MOLDS STAFF FOR COUGARS' FUTURE

Coach Kim Helton added the final touches to his coaching roster Friday when he announced the completion of his staff during a press conference at the UH Hilton.

Neil Callaway, Gene Smith, Frank Gansz Jr. and Mike O'Shea

comprise the football cast that Helton plans to use to elevate Cougar football.

Callaway will serve as the assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. Helton said he has full faith in Callaway and his triple duty position.

"If I were to die tomorrow, this guy would make a great head football coach for UH," Helton said. "I felt like he would add something to our staff that any university in the country would be happy to have."

Callaway's credentials boast a 12-year involvement with the Auburn program that yielded four Southeastern Conference champ-ionships -- one tie and three wins.

Callaway, who most recently was the offensive line coach at Louisiana State, has one basic attribute that Helton found irresistible.

"Very simply, I hired him because he reminds me of me," Helton said. "If you are going to like yourself, you ought to like people like you. I thought that if I were to take a job I would always hire Neil Callaway in some capacity."

Smith will replace Danny Palmer as line backer coach for the Cougars. Palmer will shift to running backs coach.

Smith comes to the Cougars after serving as the defensive coordinator for the Birmingham Fire of the World League in 1992. He coached the linebackers for the Fire in 1991.

"He is a new coach coming to us with a pro background, recommended to me by a tremendous amount of fine football coaches in the NFL and WFL," Helton said.

Gansz will fill the special teams coaching role. Helton is no stranger to Gansz’ style or his family.

"He has a pedigree as long as any fine race horse there has ever been," Helton said. "His father is the best special teams coach, maybe that has ever been in the NFL."

O'Shea rounds out the list of the new staff. He replaces trainer Tom Wilson, a well-known figure for UH athletes through the years.

O'Shea has been the head football trainer at the University of Louisville since 1985. He was also a trainer for the University of Miami and the Baltimore Colts.