BO OUTLAW LEADS THE PACK OF SWC BASKETBALL HOPEFULS AS THE NBA DRAFT DRAWS NEAR

Across the nation, basketball fans heaved a collective sigh of sadness last week when the the NBA title was claimed and the season ended . Afraid of the prospect that basketball news will not be heard for another three months, the NBA draft will ease the fears and take place tomorrow.

The draft consists of two rounds that have 27 spots in the top and bottom half.

There should be some Cougar activity in the bottom half of the second round, where Charles "Bo" Outlaw is expected to be drafted.

The 1992-93 Southwest Conference All-Defensive player showed promise at the pre-draft camp in Chicago and the post-season camp in Virginia.

"Bo looked good at the camps and a few teams seemed interested in him," UH coach Alvin Brooks said.

Three NBA teams have inquired about Outlaw. The Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics and the hometown Houston Rockets have contemplated Outlaw's position in their rosters.

Outlaw, center for the Cougars, is looked favorably upon for his defensive skills and strong leaping abilities.

If drafted, the 6’8" Outlaw would probably land a job playing forward. He averaged 16.7 points and 10 rebounds a game.

Brooks advises being cautious when planning for the draft.

"In the past, different teams would call and then nothing would happen. It is important to be patient."

If Outlaw isn't chosen in the second half of the draft, he could be picked through the free-agent process.

Other SWC prospects who might make their way into the NBA are Rice's Brent Scott, Texas Tech's Will Flemons and Baylor's Alex Holcombe.

Scott, the 6’10" center for the Owls, showed leadership and talent for the Rice during the 1992-93 season.

Alex Holcombe the 6’9" center for the Bears averaged 19.2 points and 9.3 rebounds on the season for Baylor.

Rounding out the list of NBA hopefuls, is Texas Tech center Will Flemons.

At 6’7", Flemons posed a threat in the lane and the perimeter for SWC teams. He averaged 20.3 points and 10.3 rebounds for the season. Flemon's energetic play led Tech to the SWC championship.

While not all of the senior Cougars will head off to the NBA, David Diaz and Derrick Smith have been contacted by members of the European leagues.

Diaz, a 6’6" guard and Smith a 6’5" forward, contributed to the Cougars 1992-93 season providing defense and three point abilities.

It will be a wait and watch situation for the SWC basketball players who dream of playing a game of horse with the big guys.

*******************************************************

ANIMAL TESTING AT UH DONE FOR DATA, SAY PROFS

Monkeys that have been given an eye disease called glaucoma are being tested in UH's school of optometry to obtain data doctors say cannot be found using human subjects, but animal rights activists believe the testing is unfair.

"About 60 monkeys are being stored and tested," said Charles Raflo, the director of Animal Care Operations.

Some of the monkeys are kept in the optometry lab and some are in the "high security" basement of the Science and Research II building.

"The security is to keep animal rights activists from breaking into the labs and stopping procedures," said Raflo.

He said activists have "raided" the labs of other universities.

Nine of the monkeys in S&RII are kept in cages across from the incinerator room. When observed, three of the monkeys obviously had one of their eyes wandering. The wandering eyes were bloodshot and covered with gray film. One of the monkeys was holding on to his wandering eye.

"Lazy eye" is a common occurrence in glaucoma patients.

Earl Smith, a professor of Vision Science at UH, said, "We measure the ability of the animals to detect flashes of light. They have experimentally induced glaucoma."

He said monkeys are used because their eyes match human eyes in sensitivity and range of sight.

Glaucoma is a disease which can severely limit eyesight, sometimes to the point of blindness.

"Glaucoma causes elevated pressure inside the eye. There is damage to the optic nerve. It causes a loss in peripheral vision so that people end up seeing in tunnel vision," said Nick Holdeman, a doctor of optometry and medicine.

The disease is usually not found in humans until 40 to 50 percent of their vision is already gone. Glaucoma, if not treated, will eventually lead to blindness.

"Some of the research that people are doing is to try to detect it earlier," said Holdeman.

"Once the glaucoma damage has occurred, we don't know how to turn it back. We know that eventually it makes you blind. It is just not humane to withhold treatment on a human patient for experimentation," said Holdeman.

One local group, the Houston Animal Rights Team, believes the testing and treatment are unfair.

"The only law protecting animals is the Federal Animal Welfare Act. The law only regulates how the animals are housed prior to experimentation. Once the animal is actually being experimented on, there is no protection," said Sean Hopkins, director of HART.

Raflo disagrees with HART. He says the FAWA is strict and will prevent certain experiments.

"Every time an animal is used, the experimenter has to fill out an animal use protocol form. The form is reviewed by a committee.

"They consider how much fluid is being taken in or out of the animal. They also look at how good the surgeon is and what kind of anesthesia is used. We also want to know if the experiment is terminal and if necessary, how they will kill the animals," said Raflo

Raflo also said that most of the monkeys are older.

"After the monkeys are tested, they are either killed humanely or given or sold to other people who can make use of them," he said.

The United States Department of Agriculture does do unannounced checks on the the animal clinics. Raflo says UH has passed the check every time.

Michelle McCloskey, a cruelty investigator for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said, "The problem is that the USDA monitors how the animals are housed and fed, not how much pain they suffer."

According to the actual USDA law, any non-human primate that has become blind or physically deformed due to experimentation must receive veterinary help or be humanely killed, unless the aid goes against the process of experimentation.

McCloskey said animals are sometimes necessary for experimentation, but there are more humane ways of doing it.

"Sometimes they should use twenty instead of sixty animals. Sometimes the research is being done in more than one place that is necessary," she said.

Last year $303,386 was allotted to monkey research at UH.

According to Julie Norris, vice president of the Office of Sponsored Programs, $132,000 per year is spent on total animal care at UH. The total value of awards given to animal research is $1.7 million.

She said that some of the money comes from academic departments that use animals for teaching and research. Some of the money also comes from outside research grants.

Research animals at UH include rabbits, cats, dogs, fish, frogs, turtles, rats, mice and chickens.

Importers receive the monkeys from other countries and train them to get used to laboratory conditions. According to Raflo, UH usually buys the monkeys from importers for $2200 each.

Although the monkeys do suffer blindness and other eye problems from the research, Holdeman firmly believes the experimentation is necessary.

"This is a public service. Glaucoma is an extremely common problem. Right now we can not cure it, we can only control it," he said.

UH ART SHOW RAISES FUNDS, HOPES FOR ART DEPARTMENT

by Annette Baird

Gallery row on Colquitt was alight with the talent of UH Thursday at "Opening Moves," a gala exhibition of art created by UH students.

About three hundred people attended the show, which should bring in more than $10,000, said Dottie Burge, a member of the Art Alumni Association and an organizer of the event. "The turn out was beyond our wildest dreams," Burge said.

The fundraiser served several functions, said artist Scott Carothers, a senior MFA student. "It facilitates a meeting between gallery owners and students. In the light of current budgetary constraints, it's a good idea. Everyone wins that way," Carothers said.

This art show is the first of its kind, and already other galleries are interested for next year, said Pam Riddle, from the Office of Development.

"It's so hard to get started. This is a great opportunity to invite gallery owners to show them what you do," Osamu Nakagawa, a recent MFA graduate, said.

"I was at a graduate seminar at New York University and found out that Houston is the only place doing this kind of thing," he said.

"The work is really impressive. I was struck by the talent and eclecticism of the students’ work. The show is a great idea - it gives the public a chance to see work that we would otherwise have to wait for," said Laura Williams, an interior designer and art collector.

"A forum like this introduces the artist into the real world of commercial galleries." said gallery owner Thomas Robinson.

Rick Rozelle, a psychotherapist, said, "(The show) provides an opportunity to see what students are doing and to pick up student art work before the prices go up."

Ironically, in the midst of the success and celebration, leaflets alerting the public about "the attack made by UH President James Pickering against the Sculpture, Ceramics and Metalsmithing programs" were also on display.

These programs have been slated to be cut in the fall as part of the reshaping process the university is undergoing.

Michael Brown, an MFA graduate in sculpture, said, "The idea of cutting the 3-D program is a big mistake. If they (the university) are trying to turn away half the prospective graduates, they'‘ll succeed."

Ernesto Perez, a recent graduate in jewelry and metalsmithing whose jewelry was on display, said he didn't think the art department could survive without 3-D studies.

The money raised by Opening Moves will go to undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships for UH art students, said David Jacobs, chair of the Art Department.

UH HELPS MOTHER BUILD DREAM HOME

by Rafe Wooley

If owning a home is part of the American dream, then Essie Greene's dream has come true.

On June 5, Greene moved into her new home, built by the University of Houston chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

The small white, wood– framed, aluminum-sided home sits on a large grassy lot. A grass walkway leads to a front porch made of a concrete slab.

Inside, the three bedroom, one bath home is a cozy environment where the young Greene family will grow. She says there is a difference between living in her mother's house and living in her own home. "My street is really nice and quiet," Greene says. "I love it."

Wesley hollered for about 30 seconds while his mother discussed their new home.

Greene, a 27–year–old litigator at a local law firm and her 3–year–old son, Wesley, were living with her parents when she first learned from a friend of the Habitat program.

"I didn't expect for it to happen so soon," says Greene. "I wasn't sure that my application would be accepted, but when it was, I was so excited."

But Greene says completing the application was the easy part. Constructing the house was the hardest part. She put in 300 "sweat equity" hours -- the manual labor involved in building a home -- and also worked when she had a weekend free.

"It was pretty hard. For awhile, I was basically doing it by myself since I don't have that many friends," Greene says.

But she didn't do the work alone. The UH chapter of Habitat, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program and Promoting Responsible Informative Decisions through Education worked by her side.

David Thaddeus, faculty advisor for the UH Habitat chapter, says about 100 students participated in the project.

"They were not all architecture students," says Thaddeus. "There were students from most of the colleges on campus."

Thaddeus says construction of the home would not have been possible without sponsorship from the Foundation for Habitat and Children and the Kiwanis Club.

To sponsor a Habitat home, an individual must donate $40,000. A co-sponsorship can be earned by contributing $20,000.

The money for Greene's home, sponsored by the UH Habitat chapter, was raised through such events as the UH bike–a–thon, held last October.

This was the first time since the inception of the chapter, in 1989, that members served as full sponsor of a home.

Members are raising funds for the next build, which could begin as early as October.

Habitat home recipient families, like the Greenes, must earn less than $19,000 a year, be unable to obtain a mortgage through a bank, be capable of paying a $500 down payment and do the manual labor on the home.

Lynn Miller, coordinator for Houston Habitat for Humanity, says these families are not given a home. They are still considered home buyers.

"They still have to make a mortgage payment each month," she says. "We are able to keep the mortgage low because of low labor costs. The recipient family and the volunteers do all of the labor."

Greene says before she started work on her house, she didn't have any home construction experience.

"I'm not really the outdoors type," she says. "But I learned fast."

Greene says it was a pleasurable experience working side by side with the volunteers. She says she hopes to thank everyone who helped her during the building process. She'll get her chance on June 30 at her first house-warming party.

Greene says she's almost settled at her home. "There's still a few things that need to be done," she says.

Her little boy, Wesley, doesn't seem to notice that anything is left to be done. He's too busy playing in the backyard of his mother's dream home.

IRAQ ATTACK DRAWS MIXED FIRE

by shane patrick boyle

The lifeless bodies of eight Iraqis lay amid the rubble and broken concrete in Baghdad.

An artist’s blood was spilled in the streets along with seven other civilian victims. The artist was a friend of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein

All were victims of a missile attack -- authorized by President Clinton Saturday -- conducted for the purpose of retaliating against Hussein for an alleged Iraqi assassination plot against former President George Bush.

Uncertainty seems to be the key word in predicting implications of Saturday's bombing of an intelligence agency in Iraq.

Reactions on campus, where most students seemed unaware of the incident, could be described the same way.

"That wasn't a good thing," says Edbar Zaman, a sophomore in MIS and accounting. "At least they should have given some warnings so civilians could get out."

"Clinton should not have a personal vendetta against Saddam Hussein," says Rodney Thomas, a graduate finance major who served in both Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He says Clinton "used the same tactics" as when Iraq invaded Kuwait "to get their view across."

Gholam H. Razi, a political science professor and native of Iran, provided some professional insight about the implications. He visited Iraq during the Ba'th regime -- a secular Arab nationalist regime -- in 1975 and 1976.

"Ordinarily when someone has been demonized as much as Saddam Hussein, it has tended to increase the popularity of presidents who take this action," he says.

But in Bush's case, "It didn't help him get reelected, which raises the question, 'Are Americans more concerned with issues of economics and their jobs?’ "

In terms of international reaction, the result will be "decreasing legitimacy of the U.S. in the third world and particularly among Muslims, because of clear double standards with Bosnia and Iraq," he says.

Razi says President Clinton may experience benefits from the aggressive assault on an Iraqi intelligence facility.

"As far as Americans are concerned, I think the effect will be short-lived."

He says the question of Clinton's personal motives may linger long after the bodies of the eight victims are laid to rest.

BASEBALL

Just when Met pitcher and former UH baseball player Anthony Young thought things couldn't get any worse -- they did.

He extended his consecutive game losing streak to 24 games in the Mets 5-3 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals Saturday. The loss breaks the 82-year-old major-league record set by Cliff Curtis.

Young pitched seven innings, allowing five runs and eight hits.

The Mets’ season has been plagued with front office problems, not to mention a less than successful 21-52 season.

There is a some good news for the beleaguered pitcher. In spite of his losses, Young has become a field favorite in New York.

Golf

The regular golfing season might be over, but sophomore Noel Barfoot is not taking it easy.

Barfoot shot a 291 in the Texas Collegiate Championship College Tournament to capture the first place honors. He shot right at par on the final round of play.

The Southwest Conference was also represented by Rice Owl David Lawrence III, who finished the tournament in third place with an overall score of 298.

The tournament took place in Huntsville at the Waterwood National golf course.

Track

Between qualifying for the Track and Field World Championships and the World University Games, Sam Jefferson was awarded SWC Athlete of the Month for June.

PROFS SPEAK UP TO SAVE PROGRAMS

by Heather Wolk

Representatives of departments that will be directly affected by the reshaping process spoke in defense of their programs Tuesday in hopes of saving them from drastic changes.

They spoke as part of the University Planning and Policy Council’s open meeting during which members of the faculty, as well as the community, were invited to comment on the proposed reshaping document.

One of the topics of discussion was the proposed closing of the communications disorders program, which includes the city's only public speech and hearing therapy clinic.

Mary Curl, coordinator of the Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic said the proposal to close the clinic came as a shock.

"The recommendation to close us down was a brutal thing to hear," she said.

"We're providing quality education for our students, a place for research and our faculty is internationally known. We provide a service to the community," she said.

"We also provide a way to interface with the community, which I think is something UH is trying to do," she added.

David Tu, a professor of biochemistry and chair of the Biochemistry and Biophysical Sciences Department, spoke about the proposed merger with the Biology Department.

"I think it's safe to say that the majority of the faculty and staff, as well as students, prefer to remain two separate departments," said Tu.

"We were never given the opportunity to debate. We were told, ‘There will be a merger, so work it out,’ " he said.

"We would like to request the option to have an open debate to discuss the many other options," Tu said.

However, discussion wasn’t limited to the plight of individual departments. Wil Weber, a professor of education, asked the council to review the subject of faculty workload.

"I would ask those who look at teaching workload not to confuse teaching load with organized class load, and consider doctoral and dissertation programs in addition to class hours," said Weber.

George Magner, chair of the UPPC, said the council will recommend that faculty workload be a major topic of discussion during the next year.

The UPPC will send forward five additional recommendations not mentioned in the original reshaping document.

"These recommendations emerged from a subcommittee within the UPPC. They relate to global issues, or, those issues that affect the whole university," Magner said.

They include:

•A reduction in the percentage of student service fees allocated to the Athletic Department to 20 percent from 35 percent.

•Modification of the faculty workload/merit system.

•The possible merger of the College of Business. Administration and the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

•Closer interaction between the colleges of Engineering and Technology.

•A university-wide initiative with the Texas Medical Center.

"We believe the merging of the departments mentioned would enhance and benefit (each) another. They might fit very nicely together," Magner said.

The open hearing was a preface to the meeting on July 7, when the UPPC will make its recommendations to the provost, said Magner.

NEWSLINE

Candid art appeal

With a flyer screaming, "Public Alert," a group called GAG is urging the community to unite against proposed cuts in the Art Department.

"The University of Houston is cannibalizing its Art Department - do something about it," the flyer implores. The literature was handed out during Thursday night’s "Opening Moves" exhibition, in which several UH students displayed their art.

GAG, a group formed to prevent "gagging" the arts, is meeting tonight at 7:30 at Diverseworks to discuss "the attack" made by UH President James Pickering "against the sculpture, ceramics and metalsmithing areas." They’re planning a demonstration in mid-July.

Students out and proud

Several UH students "came out" to show their Cougar pride during Sunday’s Lesbian/Gay Pride Week Parade.

UH students marching with the Gay and Lesbian Students’ Association carried balloons with cougar paws and waved with the Cougar sign as they chanted "GLSA! Hell yes, we’re gay!"

They also joined in with A&M students marching directly in front of them, chanting, "We’re here, we’re queer! Our parents think we’re studying!" A group from Rice University also marched in the parade.

DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL; JULIA JUST MARRIED LYLE

In what has to be one of the most unexpected mergers of the year, actress Julia Roberts and country singer Lyle Lovett were married Sunday.

Roberts, a seemingly per-ennial bride-to-be, has left a string of eligible young men standing at the altar. The most notable jilted groom, Kiefer Sutherland, was given his walking papers only hours before their intended wedding as Roberts left the country with actor Jason Patric.

Texas-born Lovett has spent his career skirting the fringes of country music with songs like "She's No Lady (She's My Wife)" and "I Married Her Because She Looks Just Like You."

However unrealistic it may seem, I hope this marriage lasts. Lovett is one of the few truly genuine people left in the music industry and Roberts . . . well, she was young. Maybe she's grown up a little. Besides, I can't be the only one wondering what on earth their kids will look like.

Tuesday

Soundcheck Competition at Rockefeller's

3620 Washington Ave.

Five of the area's best unsigned bands (Global Village, The Missiles, Plum, Robert Frith, Third Coast and Z-Lot-Z) compete for cash, recording studio time and a trip to the regional Soundcheck competition. The show starts at 8p.m. For tickets call 629-3700.

Wednesday

Cave Reverend at Fitzgerald's

2706 White Oak

Okay, I admit I've never heard of this band before. Fitz is calling them "psychedelic rock." But the price can't be beat. Every Wednesday is free admission at Fitzgerald's. (Free for adults that is. Minors still have to pay the $5 cover. Sorry.) For more information call 862 - 3838.

Sunday

Houston Freedom Fest

Buffalo Bayou Park

Now in its seventh year, Freedom Fest is a day-long concert event that's free to the public. This year's performers include: The Road Kings; Stephen Stills; the seemingly omnipresent Miss Molly & The Whips; and The Doobie Brothers. The musical acts will be followed by a 25-minute fireworks display.

Gates open at 11 a.m. and musical acts begin at 12:30 p.m. You’re advised not to bring food, drinks, grills, glass containers, alcohol, umbrellas, pets, bicycles, audio/video recording devices and weapons of any kind. Do these guys know how to party, or what?

SA WINS BID FOR CONFERENCE

The UH Students' Association proposed a bid recently that will bring the Texas Students' Association's fall conference to UH, along with $9300 in revenues.

SA President Jason Fuller met with the TSA Board of Directors in Austin to make the bid. The proposal was accepted over one from Sam Houston University.

"UH presented us with a very professional proposal. They offered a cohesive program that focused on communication between the schools," said University of North Texas student, Brian Bennett, the chairman of the board of directors for TSA.

TSA, one of the groups that was largely responsible for the massive campaign against Higher Education appropriation cuts during the last legislative session in Austin, has members from universities all over Texas.

They are the only group that looks at all university needs on a state-wide level.

The conference is expected to bring about 150 delegates from different universities and will house them in 30 UH Hilton rooms. Housing will bring in about $8,000.

Some of the meals will be catered by the Hilton, bringing in revenue of another $1300.

Another $250 will be brought to UH's Blaffer Gallery, where a reception will be held to greet the delegates.

Seminars will be offered at the conference on race and ethnic relations on campus, Greek and Non-Greek communication, making student government more accessible to students and the importance of athletics to a school’s budget.

"There is a concern for athletics on every campus. Some students don't feel so much money should go to athletics and some are really for it. Our school isn't sports oriented. Administration always tries to put more into it," said Bennett.

Fuller agrees that time must be spent discussing athletics. He said for some schools, athletics are detrimental to bringing in alumni funds.

Last year's conference, which was held in Austin at University of Texas focused mostly on pending legislative issues. There were seminars held on how to effectively lobby and meet with legislators.

Now that the state legislation session is over, TSA will begin to look at federal laws concerning higher education.

"With the cut in Pell Grants and other federal funds, we need to start sending letters and communicating with Washington. Also, this is the time to start working with the coordinating boards at the state level," said Fuller.