NEWSLINE

4th of July fun

Enjoy the long 4th of July weekend (there's no class Monday) and try to hit some of the better-known fun-and-fireworks gatherings. All these events are on Sunday and all are free.

•<B>Freedom Fest<P>

Where: Buffalo Bayou Park: from UH go north on I-45 toward George R. Brown Convention Center. Because all the streets around the park will be closed, park in garages or any downtown parking lot. There’s no street parking near the park, which is about two miles from UH.

What: Huge park party that features 7 bands (in order of appearance: Miss Frances and the Rhythm Fish, Road Kings, Steven Stills, Hal Ketchum, Miss Molly and the Whips, Sammy Kershaw and the Doobie Brothers), food, beverages and what’s touted as one of the biggest fireworks show in Texas.

*Fireworks start at 9:45.

*Miss Frances and the Rhythm Fish take the stage at 12:30 p.m.

*F-16 flyover with the Confederate Air Force between 6:15 and 6:45

•<B>Houston Symphony playing the 1812 Overture<P>

Where: Miller Outdoor Theatre

When: Music starts at 8:30

What: You can bring a picnic dinner and blanket or get reserved seating for the ever-popular Tchaikovsky piece. Of course, there will be fireworks after the show.

•<B>Galveston Street Parade<P>

Where: Parade will start at 6th and Broadway streets and go to 24th St. Call 1-800-351-4236 for information on Galveston events.

•<B>Boat Parade<P>

Where: Lake Conroe

Starts Sunday at 2:00 and winds around the south shores. Ends at 4:00 at Conroe Park.

Boats are decorated and trophies are awarded for things like best dressed crew, most patriotic designs, and most original and decorative designs.

Fireworks at Walden on Lake Conroe will start at dusk and there's no admission charge.

There will also be fireworks at Del Largo at 9:15. There’s a $10-per-car load charge. Or, you can watch for free from the lake. Call 1-800-283-6645 for more information.

*******************************************************

CRANES DEDICATED TO CRAFT; RECORD SOARS ABOVE PACK

by Manuel Esparza

Most opening acts are under-appreciated. In June 1991, the Cranes, opening for the Cure, came to the stage unknown to Houstonians and irradiated the audience with a sound from the future. The audience was left with that collective glazed eye, dropped jaw, vapid look that comes from watching three hours of reruns.

There were a few who understood and applauded.

While the Cranes were off enjoying the success of their <I>Wings Of Joy<P> album elsewhere, bands like Curve and My Bloody Valentine gained popularity here, laying tracks for things to come. Now the Cranes are back and poised to pummel the plebeians with the passionate prose and poignant polyphony on their new platter, <I>forever<P> .

The most striking feature of the Cranes sound is vocalist Alison Shaw. Her singing has the power of Orpheus' lyre (his playing charmed Hades into giving him back his dead bride). Sweet and childlike, it has a slight hollowness that gives it a riveting 'undead' aura. Her singing remains calm and steady, even in the most stinging songs. Shaw doesn't carry a tune as much as she lets it carry her; the breathiness is just a matter of style.

Using a conventional set up, the band creates uncommon arrangements. Each note from Jim Shaw's piano can be felt as individual raindrops at the start of a shower, while his drumming provides the thunder. Marc Francombe and Matt Cope make their guitars flutter as a gentle breeze or kick in with gale force.

The music itself is dark and sparse like an abandoned monastery, and unlike Curve and MBV, the Cranes don't rely on amp melting distortion to make their sound. They use the instruments not as musical tools but as emotional ones filling each song with more nuances than a cosmetics counter.

There has been a subtle change in the band's style from the last disc. There is less void and less sense of epic. <I>forever<P> is narrower is scope but richer in detail, much like looking at pond water under a microscope. The contrast levels in the songs have fewer peaks and valleys yet still retain sense that something BIG is coming. That BIG hits with the force of a house-to-house search for a coup leader.

This album should come with a warning label stating the addictiveness of music.

ZINE ARTISTS RAISE THEIR FISTS, SAVOR COFFEE

by shane patrick boyle

As more creative people become disenchanted with the commercialized mainstream, more are looking toward zines as an outlet for their talents.

Zines are small press publications produced on a shoestring budget. They are usually photocopied and sold at cost, traded or given away.

The word zine is derived from fanzines, a term coined in the 1950s by publishers of amateur science fiction magazines and newsletters. Fanzines came to be a term loosely applied to all amateur pop-culture publications.

Today, most small pressers drop the fan prefix. After all, many are not fans of anything. Some are the most uncensored critics of society.

The wide variety of zines published today cover issues ranging from science fiction to politics to home brewing to bomb-making.

Those published locally include Thora-Zine, a journal of music and politics; Virus Board, a literary art-zine with a subversive slant published by the Writers and Artists Group at UH; Propaganda, a free art and poetry anthology; Homo Boy, which is self explanatory; and Black Fist, an anarchist zine of radical politics, culture and society.

Some defy categorization. One such zine is Coffee And Hashbrowns, which publishes a diversity of material ranging from book reviews to the editor's high school disciplinary referrals.

Co-editor, a.k.a. Pablo describes the zine's origin. "Me and J.A. (Scamp) were hanging out at Toddle House eating hashbrowns and drinking coffee and decided -- what the hell."

One example of their literature is found in the writings of J.A. Scamp, editor of Coffee and Hashbrowns, who challenges the nature of the educational system in an essay titled "Skool Sux."

Another zine that challenges mainstream society is Black Fist, which recently received a write-up in the internationally distributed Anarchy magazine.

Black Fist has published features like "Do it yourself abortion," an essay defending gangs and "Dial a Bastard," which lists toll-free numbers for fundamentalist groups.

In the second issue, editorials on the World Trade Center bombing -- both pro and con -- appeared. An upcoming issue mocks so-called 'alternative culture.'

The staff's favorite target, however, is the police state.

"Small press offers an autonomy that is not available through the larger media," Malcoda, a Black Fist writer says. "And we are not beholden to advertisers or the corporate mind-set of major magazines like Spin or Mondo 2000.

"We are also independent from the myth that the press is objective," he says. "The larger media tries to portray itself as somehow objective as if its reporters have no opinion, and in effect they are being dishonest."

This freedom is what draws dedicated writers to small press, despite the fact there is no money in it.

Readers and writers are discovering that the only free press is the small press.

EXPANDING CITY, UNIVERSITY FEATURED IN LIBRARY EXHIBIT

by Marla Crawford

A day in the life of today's "typical student" at the University of Houston is much different than it was back in 1938.

Photos of that typical 1938 UH student are part of a new exhibit in the M.D. Anderson Library called "On The Rise In Texas: Houston and the University of Houston 1927-1963."

The exhibit parallels the growth of the city with the university through original photos, news clippings, post cards and other memorabilia. These items are usually housed in the Special Collections Room on the 8th floor of the library.

Aerial photographs of Houston's downtown and of the UH campus chronicle the expansion that took place from the early 1920s through the 1960s.

An Official Souvenir Program from the 1928 Democratic National Convention, which was held in Houston, is on display.

March 26, 1938 is the date that The Houston Post reported the $260,000 donation to UH by Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Cullen. This original page from the newspaper, with photographs of the Cullens, is featured in the collection.

Volume 1, No. 1 of The Cougar, a monthly publication by the students of Houston Junior College, shouts the headline: "Cullens Break Ground For New Building." The junior college began in 1927. Seven years later, it was transformed into a four-year college -- and UH was born.

A photo of the star atop the San Jacinto Monument indicates the structure looks as it does today. But a closer look reveals the desolateness of the area surrounding the monument.

The 2nd annual Frontier Fiesta is highlighted with photos from that event in 1941. Young women in the crowd wear dresses, overcoats, hats and gloves.

Main street is also captured in a 1942 photo as 1,000 Houston men were sworn into the U.S. Navy in a mass enlistment ceremony. The men replaced those lost on the carrier USS Houston.

Early photos of the E. Cullen Building and the library are also on display. A special brochure about the library from the early 1950s boasts the library's air-conditioned rooms, coat rooms, a first-aid room and "an auditorium equipped with 225 upholstered chairs with collapsible tablets."

June 8, 1953 newspaper article clippings announcing KUHT as the first educational TV station in the world are also on display.

And "the first college course ever offered to viewers on an educational TV channel" is highlighted. The course -- Psychology 231.

Special Collections Librarian Heather Moore says she would like to place the items -- after the exhibit closes July 9 -- in a place like the University Center where as many students as possible can see them.

FORMER HRM DEAN TO GET TENURE REVIEW

Joseph Cioch, the former dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, is facing the possibility of having his tenure revoked by UH.

Cioch resigned his position as dean in August 1992 while he was being investigated for allegations of padding his expense account.

Cioch pled guilty on June 8 to theft by a public servant, a third-degree felony, and received one year probation on deferred adjudication of guilt.

Deferred adjudication of guilt, given at the discretion of the court, allows Cioch's record to remain in "limbo" until he finishes his probation. If Cioch completes his probation successfully, his record will be cleared of all charges.

Cioch has remained on UH's payroll for the past 10 months as a tenured faculty member, and continues to receive his $104,000 salary, which included a three percent state-mandated raise.

Glenn Aumann, UH provost, said Cioch has decided not to resign from his tenured position.

"The university will now begin the process of reviewing whether or not Cioch will lose his tenure. The university will formulate a specific charge against Cioch by the beginning of next week," said Aumann.

Aumann said the charge will be presented to the UH Grievance Committee, which will then determine whether or not the case should be heard before an ad hoc committee.

The decision of the ad hoc committee would then be given to UH President James Pickering, who will make the final decision to revoke or continue Cioch's tenure.

Mike Carnahan, Cioch's defense attorney, feels the university does not have a reason to revoke Cioch's tenure based on the stipulations in the faculty handbook.

"Adequate cause" in the handbook states that a person may have their tenure revoked for medical reasons or dishonesty in teaching and research. There is no section that applies to administrative positions.

"The university has no guidelines for dishonesty with administrative positions. Plus, Cioch was never convicted of any crime," said Carnahan.

UH filed charges with the district attorney's office last August, accusing Cioch of falsifying expense account receipts totaling $590.

"The $590 came from Cioch filing false reimbursement charges to the university," said Carnahan.

"He would turn in receipts for dinner and travel expenses claiming he was on university business when, in reality, it was for personal reasons," said assistant District Attorney Alice Brown.

Cioch would be allowed to return and teach at UH if his tenure is not revoked.

ARTISTS TRY TO SAVE ART DEPT. FROM PENDING PROGRAM CUTS

by Annette Baird

"Don't GAG the Arts" is the message the Houston arts community wants to convey to the administration of UH.

While the sculpture, ceramics and jewelry and metalsmithing programs get targeted for elimination, the Houston arts community is taking action to protest the cuts. The departments are slated to be cut as part of the university's reshaping plan.

About 40 people, including current students, former students and concerned people, met Tuesday evening at DiverseWorks to discuss ways in which they could defend the programs and make their protests seen and heard.

Michael Peranteau, co-director of DiverseWorks and organizer of the protest, said they wanted the protest to be positive and supportive.

"This is a community response separate from the UH Art Department, but with members from the department in it," said Anne Katrosh, a prospective MFA student in sculpture.

If UH closes the 3-D programs as is proposed, the impact will still be felt 10 years from now, said Dean Ruck, an affiliate artist and art instructor at UH

"UH fosters a good arts community by bringing in new people. We need to keep watering the roots," Ruck said.

GAG is a political action group that was formed during the Republican National Convention in Houston last summer. Their slogan is "Don't GAG the Arts," Peranteau said.

"We come out of the woodwork when something needs to be done in the arts community," he said.

A parade of art cars (cars decorated with everything from fruit to books) will drive from the Lawndale Arts Center to UH at noon, Aug. 5. Speakers will be at UH to defend the programs and protest the cuts.

Peranteau said one of the reasons for starting the protest campaign was because he does not want to live in the fourth largest city in America with only one small accredited sculpture program left (at Rice University). "People coming out of high school are going to leave Houston if there is no comprehensive art program," Peranteau added.

A letter writing campaign has already been started by David Jacobs, dean of the Art Department, Peranteau said.

Katrosh said she has written a letter to Alexander Schilt, chancellor of the UH system.

"There is an increasing tendency for students to have a broader background. A university serves not just technological needs, but mankind at large," she said.

Committees to deal with logistics, media and public relations, arranging speakers and creating visuals were formed.

Anyone interested in helping can call Jodi Moore at 223-8346 or Dean Ruck at 861-2442.

Another meeting is scheduled for July 12 at 7:30 p.m. at DiverseWorks.

UH WOMEN EARN LESS THAN MEN

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Females are earning less than their male counterparts at UH in all positions except clerical jobs, according to a recent employment survey.

The study, released by the Office of Affirmative Action, showed that full-time male professors make an average of $7,202 a month. Full-time female professors average about $6,162 a month.

Associate female professors earn about $635 less than their male counterparts.

The difference between assistant female and male professors is not as substantial -- about $45.

The faculty of every college except the Graduate School of Social Work is predominantly male.

Six of the colleges have no women professors. And of the colleges that have instructors, the majority are male.

"The study indicates that where inequities exist in terms of salary differences between men and women, it is not possible to draw any specific conclusions from these data regarding the causes," UH President James Pickering said.

Since the survey didn't focus on the causes of lower pay for women, future studies will consider credentials, performance, education and years in rank to determine if discrimination is the reason.

The last employment survey was conducted in 1984.

"The main reason for not conducting an employment survey after 1984 was because nobody asked for one," said Dorothy Caram, the director of affirmative action and assistant to the president.

"The salaries for entry level positions are on a more even scale," Caram said, comparing 1993 numbers to those in 1984.

"If starting salaries are not comparable, then they will probably widen over time," said Karen Haynes, the dean of the Graduate School of Social Work and the only female dean at UH. Haynes has been in the position at another institution when male administrators thought of womens' salaries as "luxury salaries."

She added that although discrimination should not be blamed on the victim, women should learn more about negotiating practices in the workplace.

"Negotiation should be thought of as self protection," she said.

The survey recommended reforms for reducing the inequities. Providing career ladders, incentives and encouraging supervisors to allow in-house development and training for all employees were a few of the suggestions.

Sharon Daily, the temporary assistant director of affirmative action, said the recommendations will probably be followed.

"They've already committed to increasing the size of the affirmative action office," she added.

Studies will now be conducted every year to make annual comparisons.

"We can't make judgements yet on cause and effect," said Mary Rubright, the director of policy and planning analysis. "Our goal is to collect that data for further study."

UH WRITES OFF 1.1 MILLION IN DEBT

by Heather Wolk

The University of Houston will write off $1.1 million in unpaid accounts and notes because of weak collection policies in the past.

Accounts and notes receivable for the 1993 fiscal year include tuition, loans, dorm fees and returned checks for the past year.

Last year's proposed write-off totaled $1.7 million.

Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance Dennis Boyd said he expects the figure to continue decreasing.

"It is too much, but it's also in line with what's been happening over the last few years.

"We want to reduce that atrocious number, and we're trying to make it less easy for people to owe us money," Boyd said.

The largest single write-off for FY '93 totaled $11,436 and was primarily housing and meals for one student, said interim Director of Finance and Accounting Judy Viebig.

No payments to the account have been made since 1989.

University Collections was unable to locate a "good" address for the former student and turned the account over to a collection agency, which is still trying to locate the debtor, said Viebig.

When the collection agency determines 'non-collectability,' the account could still be prosecuted, said Viebig.

"This student's debt is too old (to prosecute). The DA is not interested. There are so many of these that we have to administratively handle this," said Boyd.

Viebig said a debt must be more than two years old to be written off.

"It's not that we stop trying to collect, but at that time it's considered a loss," Viebig said.

Financial stops now in place would have prevented the accumulation of this debt, and more aggressive practices are being implemented, said Viebig. The university has already eliminated check cashing and is diligently refusing to let students who owe money register for class.

The university has a reserve bank that exists for the purpose of offsetting the write-off each year, said Linda Bright, associate vice chancellor for accounting.

"The reserve balance is an estimated amount set aside so the write off does not have to affect our expenditures," said Bright.

The university's reserve bank as of Aug. 31, 1992 was $3.5 million.

After this year's write-off, there will be an extra $2.4 million to carry over into next year.

The $1.1 million write-off accounts for 76 percent of the total UH System write-off, which includes UH-Downtown, UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria.

MICHIGAN'S WEBBER GOES TO ORLANDO IN NBA FIRST ROUND

The Orlando Magic once again proved why they are called the Magic on Wednesday night.

With the first pick in the NBA draft lottery for the second year in a row, the Magic surprised no one by picking Michigan forward Chris Webber.

It was the rabbit they pulled out of their hat about 20 minutes later that took almost everyone by surprise.

After the Golden State Warriors picked Memphis State guard Anfernee Hardaway as the draft's third selection, Orlando made a deal that sent Webber to Golden State for Hardaway and three future first round draft choices.

The three choices are good for 1996, 1998, and 2000.

"The deal made doesn't affect me," Webber said. "I'm just happy that I was fortunate enough to have been drafted as the number one pick."

A sophomore at Michigan, Webber was a consensus All-American after averaging more than 19 points and 10 rebounds a game. He was also responsible for leading the Wolverines to the NCAA title game during the past two seasons.

Hardaway, who is the younger brother of NBA All-Star Tim Hardaway, also earned All-American honors in 1993 as he averaged 22.8 points for the Tigers on his way to becoming the Great Midwest Conference Player of the Year for the second year in a row.

"I can't wait to get to Orlando," Hardaway said. "Playing with Shaquille O'Neal will definitely make me a better player."

With Webber being taken as the first pick in the lottery, it came as no surprise that the Philadelphia 76ers would select Brigham Young's 7-6 center Shawn Bradley as the No. 2 pick.

"I have been going through a long process to get back into shape," Bradley said. "But I am just going to have to adjust and try to avoid all the negative criticism."

Bradley played one season for the Cougars as a freshman in the 1990-91 season. During that first year, he set NCAA freshman marks for blocked shots per game (5.2) and total blocks in a season while also averaging 14.8 points.

Rounding out the top five draft picks were Kentucky forward Jamal Mashburn, who was selected by the Dallas Mavericks and Nevada-Las Vegas guard Isaiah (J.R.) Rider, who was plucked up by the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Houston Rockets claimed Florida State guard Sam Cassell as their first round choice.

"We feel very confident that this young man can put the ball on the floor," said Rockets' coach Rudy Tomjonavich. "I know he will be a great addition to the ball club."

Cassell averaged 18.3 points and also led the ACC in steals with a school record 97.

"The kid can play defense without question," said Seminoles coach Pat Kennedy. "Houston can feel very fortunate because they are getting a guy who plays with a lot of heart."

Cassell's biggest attribute is probably his ability to perform in big games. He scored 31 points in FSU's NCAA Tournament win over Tulane and averaged more than 20 points in the Seminoles' Tourney run to the Sweet 16.

Though this year's draft was not as strong as the class of '92, it still had its share of surprises, high hopes, and "Magical" moments.

HOLCOMBE ONLY SWC PLAYER DRAFTED

The NBA draft held Wednesday night in Michigan, represented one small step for the Southwest Conference.

One very small step.

Baylor center Alex Holcombe was the SWC's NBA draft savior, after he was chosen No. 44 in the second half of the draft by the Sacremento Kings.

Much of the pre-draft speculation had pointed at Cougar center Charles "Bo" Outlaw as the SWC player most likely to be drafted.

"I feel fine," Outlaw said after learning the outcome of the draft. "I wasn't really expecting anything, so I am not disappointed. I believe that everything will work out OK"

Outlaw was pleased about Holcombe being drafted and what he might do for the SWC.

"I am happy for him," he said. " I think that if he can go into the NBA and play well, he will do a lot for the SWC."

All is not lost for the three SWC prospects who didn't make it to the NBA. Outlaw, Texas Tech's Will Flemons and Rice's Brent Scott still are eligible to play if they are picked up on the free-agent market.

"I just want to keep on playing," Bo said. "I think that I can play and I know that whatever happens will happen."

University of Houston student Aaron Plut, a fan at the NBA draft party in the Summit, was surprised at the results.

"You always want more representation in the draft from the SWC," Plut said. " I think that Bo is still the best player up there. He is so athletic and has the ability to be a power forward."

There were some players many thought would go in the first round, such as Nick Van Exel and Lucious Harris, but they were not picked until the second round. That somewhat lessened other players chances to be chosen in the second round.

The remaining SWC players will now have to wait and watch for their chance to play in the NBA.