GOSPEL CHOIR MAKING A JOYFUL NOISE

by Marla Crawford

Early on Friday evenings, the sound of good news emanates from the University Center Underground -- the Good News Gospel Choir, that is.

For the past 13 years, the choir has sung about the good news on campus and throughout Houston.

The choir, which has 140 members, rehearses each Friday in either the World Affairs Lounge or the Cougar Den. Prior to the rehearsal, the members participate in a bible study.

"It's another way to minister the word of God through song and praise. It gives them the opportunity to share their ministry," says Myra Conley, assistant dean of students who serves as a choir's advisor.

The choir, affiliated with the Baptist Student Union and the Black Student Union, performs each year in celebration of its anniversary. The performance, held each February, also includes performances of other university choirs.

In addition to the anniversary event, the choir held its first "Praisefest" last fall.

During student orientation, members set up a booth with information detailing their activities and recruitment of prospective members. About 150 have signed up to join this summer alone.

"The parents seem to like us" says Stephen Harvey, a member and former assistant choir director. "We do not encourage a wild college life."

The emphasis, for the choir, is placed on fellowship with Christians and encouraging them to continue attending church services before, during and after their college careers, Harvey says.

Each year a national competition is held for choirs from around the country during a retreat. The choir participated last March when the event was held in Kentucky.

"It was exciting for all of us," Harvey says. "We didn't just sing, we helped to minister. Normally it's just a competition where we sing and are judged."

Houston area churches frequently invite the choir to perform at their services.

"We get so many invitations, we have to turn them down," says Sharmane Kemp, a member and former assistant choir director.

Choir members take pride in being honored by the campus activities office as the 1992—1993 Organization of the Year.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Dog attack

Karen Kirk was walking to the Subway restaurant on Scott and Wheeler streets from Cougar Place about 10 p.m. Wednesday when she saw 10-15 dogs in parking lot 12A.

Kirk, a senior majoring in anthropology and English, was bitten on the leg by one dog and taken to Methodist hospital for treatment.

"I was listening to my headphone set when I saw the dogs and was already too close to them. I had never seen so many dogs in one place before. It was terrifying. I started to back away and tried to be aggressive and walk back to Cougar Place. They were barking and surrounded me. It was like a total loss of control," said Kirk.

Officers from UH Police Department and the Bureau of Animal Regulation and Care tried to locate the dogs but were unsuccessful.

Sgt. Louis Sims of BARC said anyone encountering stray animals should report it to UHPD. His advice to people caught in similar situation is to "keep your eyes on the animals at all times and back off slowly until you're in a position to run."

No pay, no park

In a June 28 memo circulated to college and division administrators, delinquent debtors are warned that unless their accounts are taken care of they will not be issued a parking decal during the August application period.

Since the debt crack-down started in February, the administration has eliminated check cashing and has made it virtually impossible for students owing money to register for classes. The crack-down was in response to students, ex-students and employees owing more than $1 million in outstanding debts to the university.

FILM CHRONICLES CIVIL RIGHTS STRUGGLE

This weekend, the Museum of Fine Arts offered a special engagement of one of the first major film portrayals of black life in the South.

When it was released in 1964 <I>Nothing But a Man <P> received critical acclaim but was ignored by major studios. It found an audience in white art houses, but was recently re-released with a story line that carries much weight today.

It chronicles the struggles against racism by blacks in the American South. In a deeper context, the audience sees the class conflict among blacks themselves.

The film tells the story of Duff Anderson, a working-class railroad worker who decides to settle down. Having lived in the North and ridden the railways with a Black railway crew, Duff has little contact with Southern whites or the subtle and overt racism therein. While on the road, he meets Josie Dawson, daughter of a middle-class Black minister, and is drawn to her quiet strength, she to his spirit unfettered by compromise.

While he has little use for the Rev. Dawson’s religion or ingratiating demeanor with whites, Duff is too drawn to Josie to stay away. The pair soon marry. Thus begins Duff’s uncomfortable journey from freewheeler to family man.

In the backdrop of early 1960s Alabama, Duff is not looking for a profound civil-rights battle. His only crime in the small town is to want to be treated with dignity and respect. His urging to black workers to stick together in the face of white bigotry gets him branded a troublemaker. He loses his job and soon finds himself a social and economic outcast.

In his job hunt, Duff feels the pressures of marriage, Josie’s pregnancy and loss of the independence and self-respect he once had. He resents his wife for the troubles around him. Josie’s understanding only angers him. Duff leaves.

Duff travels to meet his father, a brutal drunkard who barely knows him. Seeing the old man sinking toward a lonely and bitter end, Duff sees his own fury. Dad lived an unencumbered life, but now faces a forgotten death.

Leaving his father’s grave, Duff is faced with the choice of going free but having to live with knowing he ran from the white establishment, or going back to Josie and facing the pressure of a family and attitudes in a small town.

Few films of the era told a black point-of-view in a non-exploitative fashion. Rarely did a film show a black man stand up with dignity. Even fewer showed a complex, tender relationship between a black woman and man.

For information on other MFA films call 639-7515.

TELEVISION SET ON THE FRITZ; VICTIM OF JORDAN MEDIA BLITZA

Sound Advice

Rebecca McPhail

I've been having the most peculiar problem with my television. Every time I turn it on, Michael Jordan is on the screen.

I'm convinced it's some strange defect in the reception.

The dealer tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with the set, but rather, Jordan simply makes a lot of commercials. How gullible do they think I am?

No mere mortal could make that many television appearances and not suffer radiation poisoning.

Thursday

<B>D.R.U.M. at the Satellite

3616 Washington Ave.<P>

There's something funky going on at the Satellite. Every Thursday in July the up-and-coming club hosts the finest in Houston funk. For more information call 869-COOL.

Friday

<B>Lyle Lovett in Concert

The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion<P>

Texas native, newlywed and country singer extraordinaire, Lyle Lovett and his Large Band swing back through Houston in support of his Joshua Judges Ruth release. Although Lovett is a gifted performer, the true highlight of his shows occur between songs in the form of rambling, twisted tales from the heartland. Call 629-3700 for tickets and information.

Ongoing

<B>Beauty and the Beast

Lyndall Finley Wortham Theatre<P>

The Children's Theatre Festival celebrates its 16th anniversary season this year. Performances are Monday through Friday at 10:30 a.m. with additional 1 p.m. performances on selected days. Sunday perform-ances are at 2 p.m. For reservations and ticket information call 743-2929.

FULBRIGHT SCHOLARS OFF TO FOREIGN LANDS

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Three professors who won the J. William Fulbright Scholarships will be leaving UH and heading to different areas of the world to pursue research endeavors and teach.

The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Program is designed to promote mutual understanding among people of different cultures through educational exchanges.

Communications Professor Les Switzer, Associate Professor Malcolm Goggin and Assistant Professor Jack August each were granted scholarships and will embark on research for one year.

"Fulbright Scholarships are among the most sought-after federal grants given to university faculty," said UH President James Pickering. "The awards given to Goggin, Switzer and August testify to the quality of their work and make it possible for them to pursue their research abroad."

Switzer will return to South Africa in January, where he lived for 16 years, with about $42,000 in scholarship money.

"I'll be attached to the University of the Western Cape, which has become identified with the resistance movement during the 1980s and now takes in 'academic exiles,' " Switzer said.

Switzer will research the resistance movement. "This will be an exciting year because this will be the first nonracial election in the history of the country," he said.

He will also teach history courses at the university.

Goggin will examine the development of the abortion debate on the other side of the Atlantic. He will teach American politics and public policy courses.

As part of the faculty exchange program in which Goggin is a participant, a Scottish professor will offer a UH political science courses from a British perspective.

August will teach environmental history at the University of Northern British Columbia and research the history of resource management in the region.

"Ultimately these grants not only enhance UH's international outreach, but also broaden educational opportunities available to students, who undoubtedly benefit from knowledge these professors acquire," Pickering said.

"With their selection for Fulbright grants, they have been recognized as among the leading scholars in their fields," he added.

The Fulbright Scholarship is for faculty and graduate students.

One UH graduate student was awarded a full study in Germany but declined it due to a job offer.

About five UH graduate students have been awarded Fulbright scholarships in the past six years, said Ted Estess, the director of the Honors Program.

"There were about 4,500 applicants," said David Levin, a senior program officer at the United States Information Agency.

Interested applicants should contact Estess in Spring 1994.

IRAQ BOMBING: WAS IT JUSTICE

OR JUST POLITICS?

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Why did President Clinton authorize a missile attack on June 25 against the Baghdad headquarters of the Iraqi Intelligence Service? What led the president of the United States to launch 23 Tomahawk cruise missiles into the city where eight civilians were killed?

The attack was aimed at the building in Baghdad where Iraqi intelligence officials were believed to have plotted an assassination attempt against former President Bush during his April visit to Kuwait.

Was the attack "a firm and commensurate response" like President Clinton called it? Should Clinton have discussed the issue with the United Nations before any action?

The U.N. Charter allows self-defense when a country's territory is attacked, said Gholam H. Razi, a UH political science professor and Middle Eastern foreign policy expert. He also said the U.N. doesn't allow retaliation.

Meanwhile, the U.N. does not provide security for the small powers against the great powers, Razi added. The U.N. Security Council, which is in charge of defining aggression and taking enforcement measures, cannot take any action against the veto of any of the five permanent members, which are the United States, United Kingdom, Soviet Union, France and China. "If anyone of them says no, United Nations will not decide," said Razi.

The United States has used the right of self-defense to justify intervention in other countries' affairs in the past, but Razi said that was not the intention of the U.N. Charter when it was written.

Razi believes one of the results of Clinton's decision to bomb Iraq has been his own popularity search. However, Clinton's popularity depends on his success on domestic economic issues, he added.

Another professor of political science and an expert on inter-national relations and Russian politics, Joseph Nogee, said the whole idea of the attack was to deter terrorism anywhere, but particularly in the U.S.

"I believe the timing of the retaliation is probably related to the recent events in the Middle East and New York City. To some extent, the retaliation is a warning to the governments that may be sponsoring the terrorism in the U.S.," he said.

Nogee said the primary justification of the attack was a contemplated assassination attempt against an American leader. The U.S. had the inherent right of self-defense and did not have to take the U.N.'s opinion, Nogee added.

But when the United States can or can not act under the U.N.'s authorization is not clear, Nogee said.

At an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council on June 27, U.S. Ambassador Madeleine K. Albright presented the evidence and said the assassination plot was directed and pursued by the Iraqi Intelligence Service.

An Iraqi first year Ph.D. student in Pharmacology, Salwa Alnoori, condemned the attack even if it was for retaliation. She said innocent civilians have suffered, and the missile attack will not solve the problem.

"Muslims in general don't support Saddam Hussein, but civilians were targeted more than him," said Noveed Malik, press secretary of the Muslim Students Association. He said the United States took an action against Iraq immediately but is doing nothing for Bosnia.

College Republicans Vice Chairman Hunter Jackson said Clinton's intention was to improve his approval rating. He also added that the United States is the last remaining superpower and therefore has an obligation to lead the world. The U.N. Security Council's approval was not necessary to act, Jackson said.

Iraq has denied any role in the plot and called on the Security Council to condemn the attack.

The U.N. Security Council supported the United States' decision, and the U.N. Secretary General did not take any position.

Fourteen suspects are on trial in Kuwait.

RECYCLING EFFORT HITS CAMPUS

by Tammy Gamble

The newspapers UH students, faculty and staff members read this morning could eventually become part of the 20.9 million tons of paper recycled each year nationwide.

UH is planning to add to that number. The Energy Conservation and Recycling Committee, an advisory board consisting of faculty, staff, students and physical plant employees, expanded the recycling effort at UH by beginning a newspaper and magazine collection program in April.

Frank Colson, committee member and manager of university stores, said UH has sent 5.83 tons of newspapers and slick paper magazines to Champion Recycling since April. An additional 5,000 pounds of computer paper and 35,700 pounds of office mix, which includes envelopes and scrap paper, have also been recycled in the past three months.

"We are shooting to recycle 25 to 40 percent of UH waste material. Since seeing the previous efforts, I feel sure we can do this," Colson said.

Stephen Barth, chairman of the UH recycling committee, said the slick paper magazine effort is unique at UH because very few recycling centers accept the advertising inserts found in newspapers.

Barth said students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to bring newspapers and magazines from home and drop them off 24-hours-a-day in the recycling bin located in the KUHT-TV parking lot on Cullen Boulevard. If people get involved by bringing paper from home, the effort will spread to campus offices, Barth said.

A concentrated recycling effort has begun in the Ezekiel Cullen Building and in the Architecture Building. The committee hopes to begin recycling efforts this summer in the Law Building, Heyne Building, Melcher Hall and Farish Hall. Barth said people who would like recycling started in their building should contact him at 743-2415.

Small recycling bins have been placed throughout the participating campus buildings to collect office mix, aluminum cans and computer paper.

"People are getting involved slowly. If involvement is gradual, recycling will be more than just a fad," Barth said.

Any proceeds gained from the recycling effort will go back into the university by adding flower beds, landscaping and improvements to the campus, Colson said.

Sharon Oxley, director of Solid Waste Management Services at Keep America Beautiful, a national recycling organization, said the United States recycles 17 percent of the total waste generated. Paper accounts for 37 percent of waste -- ranking as the highest amount of any one waste element, Oxley said.

DRAFT OVERLOOKED BEST SWC PLAYERS

Even though the NBA finally came up with the courage to select a player out of the Southwest Conference, it is unclear as to why the trend did not continue.

After all, of the SWC's leading draft candidates, wouldn't Baylor's Alex Holcombe, in comparison to Houston's Charles Outlaw, Rice's Brent Scott, and Texas Tech's Will Flemmons, be considered the lesser of the four talents?

Obviously the Sacramento Kings and the rest of the league didn't think so as they made Holcombe their lone SWC selection in Wednesday's draft.

And ironically so.

Don't get me wrong. Holcombe is a great player who has every chance of succeeding in the NBA. But why was he chosen over the likes of Outlaw, Scott or Flemmons? And furthermore, why was Holcombe the only conference player chosen -- period?

The Kings might have been attracted to Holcombe's size (6-9, 236) when they made him the draft's 44th selection in the second round.

His 20-plus points per game and 62-percent field-goal per-centage didn't hurt either as Holcombe should provide some much needed help on a weak Sacramento bench.

But these stats are no better than those of Outlaw, Scott, or Flemmons.

Outlaw led the nation in field-goal percentage for the second straight year (.658) in 1993 and was the conference's player of the year as well as the defensive player of the year.

Scott (17.3 points) proved to be more valuable to Rice than Ricky Pierce was before becoming an NBA superstar. As the Owls' all-time leading scorer and rebounder, Scott is, in fact, taller and bigger than Holcombe at 6-10 and 250.

Flemmons (10 rebounds, .744 FT percentage) can play forward and center for a team that would need him to be a suitable back-up at those positions. Much more, Flemmons has the ability to take absolute control of a ball-game(20.3 points) as he did against Oral Roberts on Feb. 15 when he poured in 47 points.

But though Outlaw, Scott, and Flemmons were not given the opportunity to be called "drafted" last week, it is expected that they will hook up with an NBA franchise sometime in the near future.

But as has been in many recent years with the wacky old SWC, don't expect too much. And if you do, make sure it's not expected at all.