FINE PRINT : NEW BOOK NOTES UNUSUAL MUSIC

RE/Search Publications, perennial peddlers of the weird, serve up all the music you ever saw in your dreams, then woke up from, screaming and in a cold sweat.

<I>Incredibly Strange Music <P>takes its readers on a pilgrimage in search of the book’s namesake. As a compliment to <I>Incredibly Strange Films<P> (1986), <I>Music<P> sheds light on the lost records of years ago with narrative and research.

Like <I>Angry Women<P>, last year’s RE/Search offering, <I>Music<P> features V. Vale and Andrea Juno’s interviews with counter and subculture icons discussing the topic at hand. This time around, interviewees gab about their record collections and the sounds they love.

Whole genres and rip-off records finally get recognized. Whether it's surf music (Al Casey's <I>Surfin' Hootenanny<P>, surf ukele from Little Bob and his Electric Uke), poppy exposés on the red menace (Sidney O. Fields' <I>The Communazis Exposed<P>, <I>Communist Party Songs<P>) or strip and belly dance tunes (<I>Music to Strip By<P>, just about anything obscure ever recorded gets a gander.

Musician and artist Gil Ray shows off stuff like <I>Sound Effects of Godzilla<P> (composed entirely of Godzilla roaring) and the Louvin Brothers’ <I>Satan is Real!<P>(with buck-toothed devil on the cover). The Cramps’ Lux Interior and Ivy Rorschach declare adoration for 1950s rockabilly music and for burlesque beatnik Kay Martin.

Writer Mike Wilkins comes up with some real gems, including ex-Sen. Robert Byrd’s <I>Mountain Fiddler<P> Hajime Murooka’s <I>Lullaby From the Womb<P> and <I>Muhammad Ali Fights Mr. Tooth Decay<P>. Sappy kids, flash-in-the-pan stars on record, Elvis hangers-on and country & western disasters are recurring themes in his stash.

Juno and Vale put together a great cross-section of artists, writers and oddballs to produce <I>Music<P>. Would you expect anything less from a book that has whole chapters on MOOG synthesizer songs and the legacy of Eartha Kitt? Didn’t think so.

Truly engaging sections abound. San Francisco University Women’s Studies graduate student Lynn Peril discusses women in popular music since the 1940s. Famed transvestite Lypsinka chats over celebrity releases like Alfred Hitchcock’s <I>Music to be Murdered By<P>, Jayne Mansfield’s <I>Shakespeare, Tchaikovsky & Me<P> and Joan Collins’ <I>Beauty and Exercise<P>. The book celebrates music in all its forms by celebrating the different kinds of people who enjoy it.

You lovebirds have plenty of music to smooch to as well, be it Jackie Kennon's <I>Music for Rat Fink Lovers<P> or <I>You’re My Girl<P> by <I>Hawaii Five-O's<P> Jack Webb. <I>Music<P> is sure to make you laugh at points, roll your eyes or at least stand agape wondering why anyone went to the trouble to rummage through some of these releases.

<I>Incredibly Strange Music<P> is a treasure trove for true fans of all music as well as collectors of the curious. It’s also a great coffee table book.

<I>Music’s<P> facts and tidbits aren’t tossed up to you up front, as in a regular nonfiction book. Rather, the joy is taking in each interview and getting music history from a conversational tone. Not overly taxing or hard to read, this is among RE/Search’s most accessible books.

Soak in the beauty that is unusual music with Juno and Vale’s sonic tour-de-force. Ignore <I>Incredibly Strange Music<P> at your own peril.

<I>Incredibly Strange Music<P>, 1993, 193 pp. Available from RE/Search Publications, 20 Romolo #B, San Francisco, CA 94133.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Former AD charged

Former UH Athletic Director Rudy Davalos has been charged with three counts of sexual discrimination at the University of New Mexico, where he is the new athletic director.

Sue Gilmore, a former secretary in UNM's athletic department, filed a complaint and resigned from the university after working with Davalos for three months.

She said the situation was demeaning and intimidating, and said that Davalos used obscene language.

Davalos denies all accusations of inappropriate behavior and said he never used profanity in Gilmore's presence.

Scott Alley, of the Public Affairs Office at the University of New Mexico said an investigation is under way.

Schedule reminders

<B>Late registration<P> for Summer Session IV is Friday from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. in Room 111 R. Cullen.

<B>Late Fee Payment <I>is Monday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. at the University Center. If mailed, payment must reach the Bursar's Office no later than Monday.

<B>Add/drop<I> for Summer Session IV is July 15-16 (Thursday & Friday) from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Graduate, post-baccalaureate and seniors can go through add/drop on Thursday. All other students are scheduled for Friday's add/drop. See Page 27 in the Summer/Fall Schedule for assigned times.

ARCHITECTURE PROF INSPIRED BY STUDENTS, HOMELAND

by Marla Crawford

Thank goodness for the frog dissection in Shafik Rifaat's high school class in his native Egypt.

Otherwise, the UH College of Architecture might be without one of its most notable professors.

Because his grades were highest in math and biology, Rifaat was initially assigned to take science classes to prepare him for the medical field, as were most of the top students. Now Rifaat laughs and shakes his head as he remembers the dissection in the second week of classes and says that was not for him.

"Besides, we were very artistically inclined in the family," Rifaat says. "My father translated four operas into the Arabic language, so I grew up with opera around me and people playing the piano and singing." One of Rifaat's great-grandfathers was a poet and one of his uncles was an artist.

A love of architecture runs in the family. His older brother and uncle share the same line of work.

Rifaat attended engineering school for a short time but began spending time helping his older brother, who was attending architecture school, with his projects.

"So I got really involved getting my hands in it and I loved it. I decided -- this is what I really want to do." So Rifaat, born in Cairo near the suburb of Giza, entered architecture school at the University of Alexandria, Egypt.

The grandson of an Egyptian Supreme Court judge and the son of the man who began the University of Alexandria, Rifaat came to the United States in 1961. He earned a master's degree in architecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a master's in city planning from Harvard University and did his doctoral studies at Catholic University in Washington, D.C.

Rifaat was working in Virginia when he met Bill Jenkins, former dean of the College of Architecture. Jenkins asked him to visit UH to lecture and in 1971 Rifaat accepted a position to teach and begin UH's graduate program.

"If somebody had said when I was a little kid, 'Hey Shafik, when you grow up, you're going to live in America,' I would have said it's impossible."

He says such Egyptian structures as Dear-Lel-Bahari -- the temple of Egyptian leader Hatshepsut -- and the Pyramid of Squarra, which is elegant and surrounded by a palm grove, have inspired him as an architect.

Rifaat has planned cities in Egypt, designed Vallata High School and the Azellino Music Conservatory in Italy and designed homes, from Saudi Arabia to Clear Lake. But when he speaks of teaching and his students, Rifaat seems most proud.

"I like to share -- and I don't hold back any information from my students," he says. "Whatever I know, I share."

"You know it's funny," he says slowly. "I kind of think of my students as my children, in general. I'm not dictatorial. I'm easy-going but firm."

Every semester Rifaat and his students work on a public service project. Next semester a Ph.D. student will be coming in from the University of Cairo to study under Rifaat for a two-year period and will act as the project's team captain. Rifaat will put a team of students together from several schools.

The project is based on one Rifaat completed for the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism for a resort development in the Gulf of Aqaba, Egypt in 1991.

"Another thing that we're doing that is really very exciting is The Atrium Society. What we are trying to do is to start, at the College of Architecture, a support group outside of the university." Rifaat acts as chairman for the society.

"We want to get the whole of Houston behind the college. That's the main goal," Rifaat says. The society will sponsor events such as lecture series or exhibits and award outstanding students and teachers.

An Atrium Society award -- that brings the Houston community to the university -- award will be designed for the best building, the best public sculpture, the best open space and the best landscaping in the city.

"I want to create interaction between the community and our college," Rifaat says. "I want to bring the community to our college."

Rifaat also wants to continue in a line of work where no frog dissections, only designs, are completed.

LEATHER SANDALS HARKEN BACK TO 1960'S

by Annette Baird

They're clumsy, they're expensive, they're trendy and they're German.

"Birkenwhat!"

"Never heard of them."

"Oh, those earth shoes, they're gross. They looked ugly in the sixties, and they look just as ugly now," says Elizabeth Davies, a post-baccalaureate student.

Birkenstocks, the German-made sandals, are undergoing a revival, especially on college campuses.

"They were popular for a while back in the seventies. I think the "Grunge Movement" has something to do with their renewed popularity," says Mike Paddock, sales assistant at Whole Earth Provision Co.

Frank Niles, sales assistant at Wilderness Equipment, says Birkenstocks have always been big with the "naturey" types, but they have become more popular on college campuses.

Niles attributes the popularity among students to a couple of factors. "One, parents who wore (Birkenstocks) in the sixties are encouraging their kids to wear them. Two, Birkenstocks have expanded their styles. They're more accessible for those people who don't want to look too alternative," Niles added.

Comfort is the key for many Birkenstock-wearers who attend classes at the University of Houston. "They're easier to wear than normal shoes. They're real loose," says freshman Ben LaGrone.

The cork in the middle of the shoe develops to the shape of your foot, making them incredibly comfortable, Paddock says.

Apart from the comfort factor, Niles says Birkenstocks are well-made footwear. "They can be completely reconstructed. We've had people who have brought them back for repair after 15 years," Niles says.

The classic Arizona sandal, leather with two straps, costs about $82. The Boston, a close-toed shoe, costs around $92. Women's styles cost around $87.

For those who worry about stripping animals, Birka-Flor is a non-leather alternative for about $60.

The clumsy, trendy, German footwear has indeed replaced some tried, worn soles.

DEATH POEM HITS HOME IN HISTORY DEPT

An epic poem about murders

in a university similar to UH, written by a UH doctoral student, has caused concern about the personal safety of certain faculty members in the History Department.

"RRacist," written by Fabian Vaksman, is about a researcher at a state university who brutally murders five of his colleagues for trying to stifle his intellectual opinions.

The similarities between the characters murdered in the poem and certain faculty members in the History Department led UH officials to place an armed guard outside the history offices on the fifth floor of Agnes Arnold Hall

The guard was removed on June 15 when other safety precautions were taken by UH.

A source within the History Department said, "We are all very concerned over this man's intentions and feel the university has been very inconsistent in handling this matter. Administration didn't even consult us, or give us prior notice before the guard was removed."

Dennis Boyd, the senior vice president for administration and finance, said steps have been taken to protect the faculty.

"The history faculty were given the option to be relieved of their obligation to teach summer school. If they decided to continue to teach, they were asked to only be on campus during the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m." He said extra patrols of Agnes Arnold had been added.

The poem describes the main character, RR, as being "a maniac of intellectual honesty" who is persecuted for expressing his views that black people are genetically inferior to white.

RR then buys a gun and kills the faculty members that "used their administrative powers to stop him from expressing his views."

RR justifies his actions by "claiming there was a KGB-sponsored conspiracy to lower the intellectual standards in the United States."

Laughing hysterically at the fear expressed over his poem, Vaksman likens the action taken by the History Department, which he refers to as a "Marxist clique," to that of "Don Quixote fighting the windmills."

One of the concerns over whether or not the poem is pure fiction is the way Vaksman interchangeably uses the names of his fictional characters and the names of history faculty in some of the letters written to UH legal counsel.

Vaksman contends the poem is just a creative reworking of the situation he experienced with UH when he was expelled from the doctoral program in 1986.

"This is just fiction. I used the faculty members in the History Department as prototypes for my characters.

My poem is symbolically killing the demagogues, bullies, and push-overs that exist all over America, not just at UH," said Vaksman.

A letter was sent to Vaksman from the history graduate committee in 1986 notifying him of his expulsion from the doctoral program. The letter stated Vaksman was not making progress on his dissertation and that he was a "polemicist who substitutes political ideology for original research and scholarly analysis."

Vaksman contended that a book he had written, <I>Ideological Struggle,<P> was submitted as his dissertation and that the only reason it was not accepted was because certain faculty members did not agree with his conclusions based on research.

"They are second-rate minds who don't know what real intellectual research is," said Vaksman.

Five months prior to Vaksman's expulsion, members of the History Department commented on Vaksman's intellect, diligence and enthusiasm, but nearly all reports stated "he needed to modify his approach to history and American historians."

Nancy Footer, legal counsel for UH, said Vaksman never submitted his book as a dissertation to UH.

"Vaksman paid University Press of America to publish his book. The fly page of the book states that this is partial fulfillment of Vaksman's dissertation. (However,) it was never submitted or accepted as a dissertation by UH," said Footer.

A lawsuit was filed by Vaksman against UH in July 1987. The suit, filed in federal court, listed several grievances, including breach of First Amendment rights.

The federal court judge threw out all of the grievances except the ones concerning the First Amendment breach. The case went back into the courts docket to await trial.

Before the case could be heard at the federal level, Vaksman's lawyers filed an identical suit at the state level in October of the same year.

Judge Don E. Wittig, of the 125th State District Court, decided to try all the grievances listed in the suit.

Footer said UH mounted a legal battle, but did not call any witnesses.

"We felt Vaksman's attorney did not have a strong enough case to warrant calling any witnesses," said Footer.

UH did hire an expert witness, Dr. Daniel Orlovsky, to read Vaksman's book and give his opinion as to whether or not it was indicative of doctorate quality work.

Orlovsky, a Russian Historian and history professor at Southern Methodist University, said Vaksman's book was not the quality of a Ph.D.

"I don't think it was a very good job....It seems to me you have here a person who shows between these two covers a lack of interest in writing history and a strong interest in writing," said Orlovsky.

Another piece of evidence offered by UH was a review of Vaksman's book by Rachel Walker in the <I>London Journal.<P>

"The presentation of the text is quite frankly appalling...the lack of concern for the quality of this final product is incomprehensible," writes Walker.

Despite the evidence presented by UH, Judge Wittig awarded Vaksman a total of $122,500 for legal fees, actual damage and emotional duress. He also ordered UH to reinstate Vaksman to the doctoral program.

The first suit was thrown out of federal court under "issue proclusion," which prohibits a civil case from being heard in two different forums.

Under court order, UH allowed Vaksman back into the program to continue his work, but is appealing the decision.

In the one-and-a-half years since his reinstatement, Vaksman has been working on "RRacist," which is not part of his doctoral thesis.

The History Department received notification one month ago that Vaksman was not making progress on his dissertation.

Vaksman is appealing the federal court decision to the U.S. Supreme Court, and plans to argue the case himself if it is accepted.

Vaksman currently spends his time translating Russian into English for money, working on his appeals and is planning to write "RRacist II."

NEW SA BILL MAY PREVENT OVERSPENDING

If a new bill passes, UH's Students' Association president will no longer be able to use SA funds for unapproved purposes without senate review.

The bill was written by a senator in response to the fact that three weeks ago, SA president Jason Fuller passed a bill that transferred thousands of dollars in SA funds among specific accounts.

While the Student Fees Allocating Committee approved a budget that provided money for specific items like travel, office supplies and presidential inauguration, Fuller's new budget bill took money from one account and transferred it to another to cover overspent funds that were not originally approved. The new budget passed without any review by SA senators.

Last year an extra $1,000 was spent on the president's inauguration. The new budget transferred funds from accounts like travel to make up for the overspending.

The budget bill also showed that SA has an extra $16,000. Fuller wants to use these funds to revamp the SA offices and launch a marketing campaign.

Sixteen thousand dollars is more than half the salary of an average UH instructor.

The marketing campaign, which includes SA T-shirts, cups and flyers, is meant to build student interest in SA.

When questioned about the passing of the budget Fuller replied, "I didn't have to show this to the senators at all."

SA Bill #30005 was introduced by HFAC Senator #1, Justin McMurtry, at the last SA meeting. The legislation asked that the senate constitution be amended so that the SA president can not spend any money or transfer any funds without senate review.

McMurtry said he believes funds should be used for the purpose for which they were originally approved. He said any changes in spending should be closely reviewed and then approved by SA senators.

The bill also asks that any left over money at the end of a fiscal year be credited to SA's account. Every year SA asks for a specific funds from SFAC.

While SA uses the extra money for office renovation, they plan to ask SFAC for the same $93,000 they have asked for the past three years.

"SA should ask for $16,000 less this year because of the extra money," said McMurtry.

"The executive is not supposed to be able to spend any more money in any one (account) than what has been allotted. There is nothing in our constitution that stops him from doing that," said McMurtry.

He said that in the United States Congress, once a budget is passed, the executive is obliged to stay within it. The budget can only be changed if the executive can convince congress. The SA constitution is styled after the U.S. Constitution.

Although it is not written in the SA constitution, Fuller did present the budget changes to the senate. The senators decided to pass the bill without review. Fuller does not believe McMurtry's bill should be important right now.

"It's not time to worry about procedural matters. I would hate for this bill to create long debate and rob valuable time from senators meeting with their constituents. This should not be our main focus right now," said Fuller.

McMurtry's bill will not resolve the problem caused by the ability of the office of accounts payable to transfer funds without informing any of the senate or executive cabinet.

"Accounts payable handles thousands of dollars of requests every day. Sometimes they can't let everybody know. I would hope that they won't just move money anytime," said Fuller.

McMurtry's bill will be reviewed by the Internal Affairs committee.

SLUGGERS FIND HOME RUN HEAVEN AT HOUSTON'S HOT BATTING CAGES

by James Alexander

Here's the pitch. Hit to left center field and a run scores on the Caminiti RBI single.

Since most of us are not talented enough or fortunate enough to play baseball in the big leagues, we must find alternate ways to fulfill our own fields of dreams. One way of doing so is to hit one of Houston's many batting cages.

At a batting cage, all you have to do is put on a helmet, drop in the required amount of quarters or tokens in the coin slot (usually 25 cents for five pitches), step into the batter's box, cock your bat, and let your imagination take over as the pitch is on the way.

In this one-season city we call Houston, the local meteorologists have humid etched in stone in their daily forecasts. Fortunately, there are two choices when it comes to cages. There are outdoor batting cages and some indoor ones.

One outdoor cage is down I-45 South at 806 East Nasa Rd. 1. It is part of the Putt Putt Golf and Games, which is also on location. There are nine individual cages with at least two softball cages.

You can start off with a slow or medium pitch speed and, when you think you are ready for that Nolan Ryan fastball pitch, you can enter the very fast cage.

"I like to come here and hit some balls, especially after watching a frustrating loss by the Astros. It helps to relax," said Astros fan Gilbert May.

The Putt Putt Golf and Games batting cage is available Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to midnight and Friday and Saturday until 1 a.m.

Another outdoor spot is at the Malibu Castle of Houston, located at 1105 West Loop North, between I-10 West and Highway 290.

Their format is basically the same as Putt Putt Golf and Games, except it opens one hour earlier and closes at 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

At night there is plenty of outdoor lighting, so you don’t have to go out and swing in the heat of the day.

"I play high school ball, so a place like this helps me stay in contact with baseball and allows me to continue working on my hitting during the off season," slugger Sergio Gomez said.

Now for what I consider the best batting cage in town -- and it’s also the closest one to our Cougar campus.

U.S. Golf and Games, I-45 South, west of Almeda Mall, sits behind the Target at the corner of Thermon and Rowlett.

This air-conditioned dream building houses six batting cages and a miniature golf course, plus pool tables and many video games.

In the cage there are painted figures of Astros fielding balls. You would swear you were playing in the dome.

"It's great to get out of the heat and practice something I love like softball," Linda Alan said.

One man said he often brings his 5-year-old son, Joey, to the indoor cage.

"I want him to start learning the fundamentals of hitting early, so he can play little league," he said.

Bats and helmets are provided for free of charge at all of these locations, although you are welcome to bring your own piece of ash or aluminum.

COUGAR ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN GAMES

Today marks the beginning of the World University Games that will include Cougar runners Samuel Jefferson, Michele Collins and diver Olivia Clark among the competition.

Head swimming coach Phil Hansel accompanied the Cougar trio to the games that will end July 18. Hansel was the team manager for the USA Olympic Swim team in 1992 and will retain his position in Buffalo.

Clark, a sophomore from Cheltenham, England, is the British national champion in the three meter springboard competition. She will compete for Great Britain at the World University Games.

Clark earned Honorable Mention All-American Honors in the one and three meter springboard at the NCAA Championships this past spring.

Jefferson and Collins will compete for the USA at the games.

Jefferson finished third in the 100 and fifth in the 200.

Collins finished sixth in the 200 and was the anchor of the sixth place 400 meter relay and the seventh place 1600 meter relay team.

FORMER COUGAR RUNNER GOLDFOOT SEEKS MIDAS TOUCH

by James Alexander

A former UH track star is hoping to put his best foot forward and win gold at the 14th World Maccabiah Games in Israel, July 5-15.

Ian Goldfoot will compete in two track and field events as he joins a 650-member delegation that will be attending the games.

Track and field is only one of the 38 sporting competitions, including everything from badminton to yachting, which will take place at this year's games.

The Maccabiah Games, held every four years, provide Jewish athletes from all over the world the opportunity to celebrate their unity and culture, as well as to participate in athletic competition.

Goldfoot, who was born in South Africa, came to the United States in 1957 to attend UH on a track scholarship.

During his Cougar days he ran the 440 yard race and the mile relay.

"My best time in the 440 was 47.5," he said. " In 1960 our relay team won first place at the Texas relays with a time of 3:08.06. Our anchor was Olin Casselle, who is now head of the Amateur Athletic Union."

The 58-year-old sprinter said it was about three years ago that he began to run competitively again.

As a member of the Gulf Amateur Athletic Congress and the Al Lawrence Running Club, Goldfoot has competed in many masters track and field meets. Masters events are for competitors over the age of 40.

"Al Lawerence is also a former Cougar team-mate of mine who set a indoor record for the ten thousand meters back in 1960," Goldfoot said.

In 1990 and 1991, Goldfoot finished first in the 55 and over category in the 200 meters at the Houston GAAC master meet.

He won the same race in the 55-59 age bracket at the 1991 Senior Olympics in Houston.

The United States Committee Sports for Israel notified him of his selection for the Maccabiah Games in January.

Goldfoot said upon seeking qualification he had previously submitted to the committee his best times of 13.03 and 26.93 for the 100 and 200 meter sprints.

"I was elated to get the news, and I can’t wait to go, for I have never been to Israel," Goldfoot said.

Since graduating with a degree in business administration, Goldfoot has made Houston his home, where he has a career as a stockbroker.

The father of two, he has also served as head coach of the Johns Boys High School soccer team for seven years.

"With a 29 year layoff, I should be well rested for the games," he said.

"As far as score-keeping, I believe that they attempt to keep them based on individual athletes rather than by country," Goldfoot said.

The U.S. is sending the third largest delegation to the games. American athletes that have participated in past World Maccabiah Games include Olympic gold medalist swimmer Mark Spitz, gymnast Mitch Gaylord and tennis pro Brad Gilbert.

More than 5,000 athletes sponsored by more than 56 countries are expected to attend the games.

GAMES ATTRACT TOP-NOTCH JEWISH ATHLETES TO ISRAEL

Rich in Jewish tradition and athletic fervor, the Maccabiah Games, held in Israel July 5-18, give athletes of all ages and abilities a chance to compete in Olympic-style games.

More than 5,000 athletes from more than 56 countries will compete throughout Israel. The 650-member American delegation, the largest in the 61-year-old Games history, will participate in 28 sports in four categories -- open, masters, juniors and disabled -- July 5-15, 1993.

Though many Americans may not be as familiar with the World Maccabiah Games because the event is for Jewish Athletes, the quadrennial Maccabiah Games are bigger than the World University Games, the Goodwill Games and even the Winter Olympic Games.

Many of the athletes who attend the World Maccabiah Games play or have participated in collegiate athletics. Some of the athletes are Olympians or potential Olympic stars.

While the Olympics may have deeper roots in history, the Maccabiah Games have been going on since the late 19th century. The Jewish people in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, suffering under religious oppression and persecution, turned to the development of their physical powers, forming self-defense units and gymnastic clubs.

The Maccabiah Movement, named for Judah (The "Hammer") Maccabee, was initiated in 1895-96 when the first all-Jewish gymnastic club was formed in Constantinople.

Thirteen countries and 300 athletes participated in the first Maccabiah Games in 1932. World events forced the delay of the third Maccabiah, scheduled for 1938, until 1950.

"Even if they don't compete at the Olympics, the athletes who come to the Maccabiah do compete in world-class events that are extremely significant in competitions," said Robert E. Spivak, U.S. chairman of the Maccabiah Games. "The Games attract a high caliber of athletes."

CUT PROGRAMS MAY GET REPRIEVE

by Kristine Fahrenholz

As part of a university-wide reshaping effort, several programs are slated to be cut due to the lack of space and funding. In response, UH plans on spending $100,000 on a space analysis.

The University Policy and Planning Council made final reshaping recommendations Monday for UH President James Pickering's final reshaping document.

The jewelry, metalsmithing, ceramics and sculpture programs face termination primarily because of the lack of space.

But Pickering put a halt to program eliminations that are based on space.

"No action will be taken until a campus-wide review of space is done, " said George Magner, chair of the UPPC.

An overall space analysis could take about one and a half years and cost $100,000, said Glenn Aumann, the senior vice president for Academic Affairs.

"The administration knows what space is available," said George Reiter, president of the Faculty Senate.

"We have not seen anyone suggest an evaluation of space," said Richard Bannerot, an engineering professor.

"Any decision to phase out programs should be based on academic information," said Rosalie Maddocks, chair of the Undergraduate Council.

It was recommended that the Human Development Laboratory School now housed in the College of Technology be moved to another college.

"(The lab school) is poorly served in the College of Technology," Reiter said.

"The options are wide open for the movement of the lab school," Magner said.

The UPPC voted to support Pickering's recommendation that physical education requirements be phased out.

At UT-Austin, where PE courses are electives, the department is extremely active, said one UPPC member.

Reducing the four departments in the College of Pharmacy to two also was recommended.

The recommendation to move dance to the School of Theatre from the College of Education was approved.

The new recommendations for Communication Disorders and the Speech and Hearing Clinic, which were phased out in Pickering's first reshaping draft, is to move them from the School of Communications to a more suitable college.

"Communication Disorders needs to be housed somewhere other than the School of Communications," said Richard Murray, a political science professor, who is opposed to phasing out programs because of lack of space.

The UPPC recommended that the merger between the biochemistry and biophysical departments be discussed further by faculty.

And the foreign language merger, which is already being pursued, was supported by the UPPC.

A review of the School of Communications was also supported.

"There are controversies within the college, conflicts between deans and leadership problems that warrant a review," Magner said.

The final reshaping document is due in September.