ALUMNI DONATIONS PUT UH AT THE TOP

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

UH is listed eighth in alumni giving among U.S. universities, according to a national research survey, but private donations of money are not enough to compensate for the university's funding problem.

However, private support has become more important in recent years for public institutions. As with UH, the fund-raising campaigns at all Texas schools, including Texas A&M and UT-Austin, continue.

More than half of all donations to UH were from alumni last year. Alumni giving was more than $37 million, out of approximately $70 million total voluntary support for UH for the 1992 fiscal year, as reported by the Council for Aid to Education.

For the same period of time, educational and general expenditures were more than $344 million.

"Private giving provides a margin of excellence, but it won't keep classes filled and pay the electric bills," said Steve Hall, executive director for operations.

Hall said private giving should not be seen as if it is going to solve the budget problem, which he said is the state's responsibility.

Because some alumni have reached a level of influence and affluence, they can support something which is outstanding and getting better, said Frank Holmes, the executive vice president of the Alumni Organization.

UH's status has changed over the last 15 years, and UH has become a nationally recognized major research university, Holmes said.

The Office of Development has done a good job of getting the word out and seeking individuals who can make major contributions, Holmes added.

Gift money usually goes to support the library, to construct buildings, to research projects and to endow scholarships, Holmes said. However, he added, at any university, public or private, gift money doesn't fund the classes.

Meanwhile, UH's fund-raising campaign, which is called "Creative Partnerships," has reached 69.9% of its goal by raising approximately $183 million of the $269 million total goal.

Texas A&M University became 11th among the top 20 in regard to alumni giving.

A&M raised approximately $30 million from alumni for the 1992 fiscal year according to the same report. A&M's total support was more than $59 million. Educational and general expenditures were approximately $320 million for the same period of time.

A&M's six-year fund-raising campaign is going "exceedingly well" in its third year, said Jim Palincsar, the director of the campaign. "Our goal has been $500 million. We raised over $300 million in gifts and commitments."

Palincsar said private giving provides resource for the things for which the state does not provide funding, such as minority scholarships, graduate fellowships, honors program and visiting lecturers.

UT-Austin is also in the middle of a fund-raising campaign. Susan Clagett, acting vice president for development and university relations, said UT's emphasis in its current campaign is on student scholarships and fellowships.

Ut-Austin raised approximately $52 million of its more than $100 million total goal, Clagett said. Its five-year campaign will end in 1995, she added.

*******************************************************

DIVE INTO MATH ? NOT WITH UH'S COOL SCUBA CLASS

by Debbie Callier

The teacher is all wet, but then, so are his students. Classes meet 10 feet under water, with directions given in sign language. Students nod and blow bubbles from the bottom of their classroom.

Tony Frankie is one of UH's scuba diving instructors. This course for college credit is a boon for students who can combine their health fitness requirement with a yen for adventure underwater.

Classes meet both on and off campus, but most students opt for the off-campus location of Houston Scuba Academy at Dairy-Ashford. On-campus divers share the pool with aquatic athletes. Practice sessions are confined to limited pool hours.

Off-campus hours are flexible -- evenings and weekends, and the atmosphere is pure diving. Scuba gear lines the HSA walls -- bright yellow air tanks, webbed weight belts, black rubber hoses with regulators and mouth pieces. Merchandise fills the store. Colorful dive skins and neoprene wet suits hang on racks.

State-of-the-art buoyancy compensators, snorkels, fins and masks vie for attention.

Travel posters and bright underwater close-ups of fish, reefs and brilliantly colored creatures invite students to Cozumel, Cayman, Hondoras and Belize.

Training at either location includes book work, pool work, a written test and an underwater final. On campus the course takes eight weeks, off-campus, four weeks.

The $120 tuition includes instruction by dive masters, pool time and some equipment rental. Students provide their own masks, snorkels, fins, weights, weight belts and mouth pieces for their regulators. This equipment costs $150 or more, depending on style.

At the end of the course, students can spend an additional $35 to get NAUI -- National Association of Underwater Instruc-tors -- certification and a dive card, which is like a passport they will need to dive in some of the most beautiful underwater sites on the planet.

For certification students must complete five open-water dives. Frankie said they usually spend a weekend diving at semi-local sites: The Reef, a sand pit at Cullen and Alameda-Genoa that is murky but has fish in it; and the Blue Lagoon, a limestone quarry near Huntsville that has clear water with nothing living in it.

"The real fun of diving comes after the course and certification are over," Frankie said. "It's hanging weightless, just above a coral reef under the ocean, surrounded by reef fish, sea fans, barrel sponges and spotted eagle rays."

Aviva Ehren, an undeclared freshman, said she plans to continue her diving this summer in Florida, but Frankie said he is surprised at how few college students follow up with HSA'S regularly scheduled Caribbean trips. "This is where the fun is!"

Time and money could be factors. A short trip to Cozumel, for instance, might take four or five days and could cost several hundred dollars.

"Diving gives students so much confidence," Frankie said. "They may start out thinking they won't make it because they think they don't even swim well enough. Then they're amazed."

"Divers need to be able to swim, but the feeling underwater is more like hanging suspended in space than like swimming," one diver said. "It's not heavy exertion."

The underwater world can be gloriously magical or hostile and forbidding. The difference is in the diver's training. Experience taking the equipment on and off underwater, clearing the mask, and sharing air with a dive partner underwater all give confidence. A relaxed, confident diver can enjoy the scenery and the unique beauty of fish and reefs.

Scuba will be offered summer session IV on campus, at the pool in Melcher Gym.

VIRTUAL REALITY GAME HAS PLAYERS DODGING FLYING DINOSAURS

by Rafe Wooley

John pushed the button and his friend Davis was dead.

As he ran from the scene of the crime, he felt a sense of imminent danger floating above him. In one swift dive, a Pterodactyl had him by the scruff of his neck, whisking him across the wide open plane.

The scene is part of the latest form of video entertainment, part of a recent technological innovation called virtual reality.

John and Davis were playing "Dactyl Nightmare," the virtual reality video game displayed at Dave & Buster's, an entertainment center.

Virtual reality, originally invented by computer scientists to enhance the military and the National Aeronautic and Space Administration's space exploration program, is a three-dimensional form of computer graphics.

Scenes from real life as well as those constructed are simulated so that the person has an experience that closely resembles a real life experience.

Technically, the components involved are stereoscopic head-mounted displays, three-dimensional input devices, real-time interactive software and position tracking.

The term virtual reality was coined in 1985 when all of these components converged.

The major difference between computer graphics and virtual reality is that the latter is three dimensional and stereoscopic, meaning there are separate left and right eye views. VR is also interactional.

"If you wanted to design a house, you can do that with computer graphics," says Greg Klein, president of Monde Systems Inc., a company that distributes virtuality products. "But if you wanted to actually move furniture around, hang a painting or move a fixture in the bathroom with the touch of your hand, you'll need VR."

VR is not limited to the military and space programs. Today, applications of VR are found in as financial, architecture, entertainment and engineering fields.

He says the games and entertainment will be the first applications of VR to prove lucrative.

In the future, buying stocks, banking and paying monthly bills will all be done through VR computer software, Klein says.

Jan Lockett, UH School of Communications graduate student, began researching virtual reality three years ago. "The practical applications of VR will revolutionize our lives," she says.

Lockett agrees entertainment will be the most popular and profitable feature of VR, but says other practical applications such as surgery will prove more beneficial to the public.

With new VR technology, doctors will perform surgery from a computer using VR to move the tools inside a patient's body.

Other applications of VR will be used in the financial industry, allowing for more expedient transactions.

She says the emerging VR technology must be studied since it has psychological and sociological ramifications. "We are the generation that will be affected by VR," she says. "We must be prepared for it."

In the interim, however, the public's main exposure to the technological innovation will come through the games.

John Taggart, an attorney and VR addict, says no other video game compares to the sensation of playing a VR game.

"You're right there in the middle of all the action," Taggart says. "You feel like you've been put inside a computer and you're watching yourself on the monitor."

Davis Tally, another regular VR player, says he feels suspended in space and time when he plays.

"Picture yourself in a cartoon where you can actually touch the cartoon characters and they can touch you back," Tally says. "That's what it's like. It's awesome."

By the wide-eyed, anxious look of these two players, it's apparent that the adrenaline level increases while playing the VR video game. They want to play again, but they have to wait their turn in line -- they're not the only two who are becoming addicted to this recent form of video entertainment.

The equipment involved in playing the game is minimal. A helmet with a pair of binoculars attached, technically titled "the visette," and a joystick that acts as the gun.

When the helmet is put on, an animated environment appears through the attached binoculars, creating the feeling of being in the middle of an animated scene.

There are two buttons on the joystick; one moves your environment and the other shoots to kill the enemy. To kill an approaching enemy, the joystick is held out in front of the body.

"Nightmare" was created by W. Industries, a computer research company in London. But it was not the first VR game invented. The first one was invented in 1990 by the same company.

The image seen through the visette is a gun, not a joystick. By pressing the "shoot" button on the joystick, the player pulls the trigger of the gun.

"It's a real hard feeling to describe," says Tally. "You have to play it to understand the feeling you get."

Some people get disoriented. People who don't like to lose control of their movements probably will not like virtual reality.

John and Davis, however, still love to pretend they are in the middle of a life or death scenario.

With Pterodactyls soaring above.

UPPC SPEAKS

The University Policy and Planning Committee, the organization largely responsible for constructing UH's reshaping plan, recently submitted five recommendations to UH President James Pickering.

<B>•Athletics:<P> The amount of student service fees allocated to athletics should be reduced from 35 percent to 20 percent over a three year period (an $880,000 difference).

<B>•Engineering-Technology:<P> The university should carefully consider closer cooperation between the Colleges of Engineering and Technology, including the possibility of a merger.

<B>•CBA-HRM:<P> The university should carefully consider closer cooperation between the Colleges of Business and Hotel and Restaurant Management, including the possibility of a merger.

<B>•Health-related disciplines:<P> A university-wide review of present and potential activities in the health area should be undertaken, including the possibility of establishing a more meaningful presence in the Texas Medical Center.

<B>•Faculty workload policy:<P> A representative body should develop a faculty workload and merit reward system, and should consult with and report its recommendations to governance bodies, including the UPPC.

Schedule reminders

<B>Summer Session IV<P> classes begin Thursday. The last day to drop a class with a full refund is July 22. The last day to drop a class or withdraw without getting a grade is July 29. The last day to drop a course or withdraw is August 9.

<B>Add/drop<I> for Summer Session IV is July 15-16 (Thursday & Friday) from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Graduate, post-baccalaureate and seniors can go through add/drop on Thursday. All other students are scheduled for Friday's add/drop. See Page 27 in the Summer/Fall Schedule for assigned times.

MORE THAN 50 YEARS AND STILL GOING STRONG

In a society where love lasts about as long as a soap opera episode, this week’s installment of <I>POV<P> talks to five couples about making long-lasting love work.

They should know. Each of these culturally diverse couples has been together more than 50 years.

Airing this Saturday at 10:30 p.m. on KUHT-TV (Channel 8), "For Better or For Worse" looks at the complexities of relationships and making a marriage work

Inspired by his grandparents, together 67 years, producer-director David Collier went in search of long-term commitment. After interviewing more than 200 couples, Collier spotlighted five: Dan and Sophie Trupin, married 60 years; Paul and Inez Jones, married 57 years; Chet and Vi Locks, together 67 years; Bruhs Mero and Gean Harwood, together 60 years; and Howard and Cecil Waite, married 58 years.

The comments and stories, tempered by years of marriage, are surprisingly honest, heartfelt and eye-opening.

As the couples go through their daily lives, they recount their first meetings as well as topics that affect all marriages. Paul and Inez Jones describe their love at first sight when they met at a Kansas City nightclub. The Waites recall their shotgun wedding following a romantic drive in the Hollywood Hills.

For Mero and Harwood, a gay couple, their love has always been overshadowed by societal prejudice and ignorance. "All our lives, we were secretive," Harwood tells Collier. "That was the way we felt we could survive."

Sophie Trupin, 88, assures viewers that sex still goes on, but husband Dan isn’t too sure ("After a while, it’s a centennial celebration, okay?" he quips.) Chet Loucks still thinks he was more into it than wife Vi: "I would be at the peak of physical self-expression and she would talk about what we were going to have for dinner."

Of course, there are still the fights about big and little things–the Trupins still argue about whether chicken forelimbs should be call "legs" or "drumsticks," for example -- they has worked out their own formula for success.

As the ends of their lives approach, each considers the timelessness of love and what it takes to make it last.

Today, Mero is institutionalized with Alzheimer’s disease and no longer recognizes Harwood.

The Joneses are ill. Still, they have few regrets. "I think one of the key things that any relationship needs," Howard Waite says, "is a profound, fathomless sense of humor."

"For Better or For Worse" won the Retirement Research Foundation’s National Media Owl Award, the National Education Film and Video Festival’s Golden Apple Award and received an honorable mention at the San Francisco Film Festival.

<I>POV<P> is public television’s award-winning and sometimes controversial program that features works by film makers of social issues and personal stories.

BUGGED OUT

Struggling to decipher the meaning of roaches

Sound Advice

By Rebecca Mc Phail

I'm beginning to think maybe, just maybe, cockroaches know something we humans haven't figured out yet.

Look at the facts: They were here long before us, they'll probably be here long after us. They're immune to most diseases, atomic blasts and all forms of Raid, not to mention the fact they don't pay taxes. Does their existence play a greater role in the grand cosmic scheme of things than we humans had previously thought?

All I know is I'm sure going to feel stupid if I find out I've spent the greater part of my life swatting "The Chosen Ones" with tennis shoes.

Tuesday

Personality Crisis at Emo's

2700 Albany

Cross the Rolling Stones and the Black Crowes, add a dash of good-natured, beer-swilling humor and you'll be looking at Houston's own Personality Crisis. The band rocks the house at Emo's where, as always, ages 21 and over are admitted free. For more information call 528-8503.

Wednesday

Private Property at West-Mon Repertory Theater

1102 1/2 Westheimer

The newly-formed West-Mon company begins its season with a play by UH student Tom Vaughan. Private Property is a comedic thriller about three professional thieves. The play runs 8 p.m., Wed-Sat until July 24. For more information call 995-3720.

Friday

Odd Obsessions double feature at the Rice Media Center

Rice University entrance #8 (University Blvd. at Stockton)

Continuing the theme of odd obsessions, Rice looks at two films by Francois Truffat: <I>The Bride Wore Black<P> and <I>Mississippi Mermaid<P>. <I>Bride<P> stars Jean Moreau as a women intent on avenging her husband's death. <I>Mermaid<P> follows the twisted relationship of a man and his mail-order bride, Catherine Deneuve (who says the postal system is worthless?). Features begin at 7:30 p.m. The films show again on Saturday night. For more information call 527-4853.

Saturday

Michele Shocked at Rockefeller's West

6400 Richmond

Folk/rock singer and kewpie doll with an attitude, Michele Shocked is bringing her travelling show to Rockefeller's West. The Casualties of War will be sharing the stage. For more information call 977-5495.

Have an announcement? Suggestion? Gripe? Send those letters to:

Entertainment Editor

c/o UH Daily Cougar

4800 Calhoun

Comm. Bldg, Rm. 151

Houston, TX 77204-4071

MEMORIES OF MARTINI GRACE BASEBALL'S JOURNEY

by Patti Warner

As the rest of the baseball world prepares for tonight's All-Star game, the Houston sports community will quietly put to rest one of our own All-Stars.

Anita Martini, best known as the first female sportscaster to ever enter a Major League locker room, lost a long battle with brain cancer when she died in her sleep Saturday at the age of 54.

In 1974, Anita broke a gender barrier that allows people like me to be able to do my job. As a sports reporter, she entered the Los Angeles Dodgers' locker room after a game with the Astros and immediately won the hearts, but more importantly the respect, of everyone around her.

Anita was a pioneer for women in sports media. When they did not allow women in the press box, she covered the game from the stands. When they did not allow women in the press dining room, she ate on a tin plate by herself by the door. She did whatever it took. She knew she belonged there and it was only a matter of time before everyone else did, too.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Anita once. I'm sorry now that I did not thank her for everything she did. Although our paths never crossed professionally, I know that I owe her for everything she went through so people like me would never have to experience it.

Anita was able to accomplish something not may people can. Some people can be well liked, but not taken seriously. Other people don't make too many friends, but no one challenges their ability. Anita was able to do both. She was not only well liked, but highly respected.

She knew everything to know about baseball and that was why she chose to pursue a career in it. When she went into a locker room, she did not do it with the intent of looking at players. She had a job to do.

She went through her life giving everything she did 100 percent. After she underwent brain surgery in 1989, Anita was back on the air the next day. That was how dedicated she was to baseball.

Unfortunately, baseball did too little, too late for her. Only after the Baseball Assistance Fund was created by Anita's long-time friend Joe Gargiola did people begin to take notice. The cancer had left her paralyzed and unable to work. KPRC relieved her of her duties in 1991.

Still, with pride, dignity, and the stubbornness that made her a part of history, she continued her fight. Gargiola stepped in only after mounting medical bills left her without insurance. Someone who did cross professional paths with Anita was UH junior Stephanie Rourke, a radio-television major. Rourke has been interviewing Astros and opposing players for a Galveston radio station since 1991. It was at the Astrodome where she first met Anita.

"The first time I met her was the first day I was at the Dome," said Rourke, who also lists the Dodgers' locker room as her first. "I was in awe of her. She was so open and warm to me.

"You would think someone so well known and so in demand wouldn't have time to talk to me. She took the time."

Although Anita's career was ending, it was through her wisdom and advice that Rourke's began to flourish.

"Her advice to me was always be professional," Rourke said. "She told me not to listen to the people who try to bring me down. She told me always remain positive and focused.

"She said demand respect. If you demand it, they will give it." Although they only worked together for the last half of the 1991 season, Rourke said she has many fond memories. One of the most memorable, however, is the 1992 roast where Anita was the guest of honor.

"I went up just to say hello and she said, 'Have a seat with me,' " Rourke said. "I was shocked. She treated me like I was family."

Those of us who did not know Anita can only rely on information given to us by those who did. But what we do know is that she will always be thought of kindly.

We know that she would want us to continue what she started. She wouldn't want us to spend time mourning her death, but celebrating her life instead.

She is in a better place now, where she will never be in pain or have any more problems. We like to think that even her baseball team will finally win a pennant.

God bless you Anita, and thank you. You will be missed --but never forgotten.

NL BASEBALL SNAGS SWC PLAYERS

Five Southwest Conference players round out the list of hundreds of college baseball players who were drafted into the National League.

The Chicago Cubs snatched senior John Rodgers, a catcher from Rice.

The Los Angeles made a SWC double play, landing right handed pitcher Brian Carpenter from Baylor and Texas Tech outfielder Mike Kinney.

The Pittsburgh Pirates drafted Longhorn catcher Joel Williamson.

The San Diego Padres swiped Texas outfielder Darrick Duke.

FEE HIKE TO FOLLOW TUITION INCREASE

by Heather Wolk

If you're planning on visiting the dermatologist, taking art classes or testing out of a course on campus, you will pay more in the fall.

In addition to the $2 tuition increase, fees ranging from computer use fees to meal plans may increase in the fall '93 semester.

The Board of Regents has approved the requests for new course fees for the '93/94 school year.

Each unit has the option to increase fees to the approved amount, implement the remaining fees or even decrease fees, as did the College of Pharmacy, which eliminated supplemental materials for two pharmaceutical classes.

Director of Admissions Rob Sheinkopf said he does not think the tuition increase will have negative impact on enrollment.

"Everything is going up. The price of higher education is rising every year, everywhere. I think people recognize what a bargain public higher education is," Sheinkopf said.

"People know the quality is good here at UH. And relatively, it's not a lot of money," said Sheinkopf.

Director of Scholarship and Financial Aid Robert Sheridan said he thinks the tuition increase will affect students.

"Of course, any cost increase will affect students. Yes, it may only be $2 dollars per credit hour, but that's, maybe, $30 extra a semester," said Sheridan.

"And, the higher the cost, the greater amount of money they (students) have to pay back," he said.

"But, it's still one of the best tuition rates in higher education," Sheridan added.

Art fees will increase to $30 from $25 for several art classes in the '93/'94 school year.

Art Department administrator Mybal Nguyen said the main reason for the increase in fees in the Art Department is to pay for art supplies, models and guest lecturers for the upper level courses.

The Health Center will increase some prices but not all.

Gayle Prager, associate director of the Health Center, said the price increase will occur in the specialty clinics.

"We are not changing the price of the walk-in visits. That price has been $7 for many years. The specialty clinic visits right now are $15. We're approved to charge $20, but we're not (now). However, in the fall, we will charge $20," said Prager.

"The main reason we look at any increase in the Health Center is because of salaries. For the center to attract students, we want to bring in well-qualified physicians, and that requires an acceptable salary," Prager said.

A spokesman from the A.D. Bruce Religion Center said that while the center has been approved to increase such fees as chapel rental and organist fees, the center does not plan to increase fees for at least two years.