LEARN LANGUAGES AT HOME WITH NEW SYSTEM

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Studying German, French or Spanish can be more convenient for students who use personal computers, thanks to new technology being tested in the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication

"You don't have to drive to campus or wait for the next day because the language laboratory is closed," said Duane Franklet, interim director of the Foreign Language Laboratory.

"What you do need to do," he said, "is to come to the FLL and register to have access to the language laboratory from your personal computer at home by a phone line."

However, not all computers can be connected to the laboratory, Franklet said. The tutorial programs are "DOS based," which means they are accessible from any IBM PC or IBM-compatible computer," he said.

Users of the laboratory from home will also need a modem, which is attached to their personal computer. Modems can be purchased for $150 or $300 depending on their speeds, Franklet said.

With a 9600 baud modem, users will be able to connect and run a language tutorial program in two minutes. The system can be run in five to eight minutes with a 2400 baud modem, he said.

"When we close the doors, no one is able to access our IBM computers," Franklet said. The laboratory is closed at 3 p.m. in summer and at 8 p.m. in regular semesters, he said. The new system, however, will allow people to study 24 hours a day, he said.

A few people have already connected to the laboratory for testing purposes, Franklet said.

Priority will be given to the people who are taking foreign language classes because FLL has only one phone line, he said, adding that phone lines may be increased in the future according to demand.

Ten IBM computers were purchased last year with support by HFAC, Franklet said. The new system cost approximately $2000, he said.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

UH in court

A postbaccalaureate student, who has law suits pending against two UH staff members for contractual interference with his student loan, will be back in court Monday.

Scott Williamson is seeking a temporary injunction against UH to prevent him from having to move out of Cougar Place. He was locked out of his room Friday but, also on Friday, UH was ordered by a Harris County court to allow him 30 minutes access to his room until the matter is resolved.

Williamson claims he has been improperly evicted and is going to court to prevent UH officials from taking further action (putting his belongings in storage). UH's counsel, who acts as a liaison for the Office of Attorney General, said Williamson owed two months rent and UH acted properly in the matter.

Winning advice

Three faculty and staff members were awarded the George Magner Award Tuesday by the University Studies Division.

The award recognizes undergraduate academic advisors for their excellent achievements. Two staff members tied for the award: Seema Vats, academic advisor for the College of Social Sciences; and Chris Turner, academic advisor for the College of Business.

Dr. Betty Barr, director of Undergraduate Studies for the College of Electrical Engineering, received the faculty award.

"I am very honored and pleased with the support the college gives me. It is always nice to be recognized," Barr said.

The University Studies Division Committee has honored academic advisors, who must first be nominated by a faculty member, since 1991.

Schedule reminders

<B>Summer Session IV<P> classes begin today. The last day to drop a class with a full refund is July 22. The last day to drop a class or withdraw without getting a grade is July 29. The last day to drop a course or withdraw is August 9.

<B>Add/drop<I> for Summer Session IV is today and Friday from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. Graduate, post-baccalaureate and seniors can go through add/drop on Thursday. All other students are scheduled for Friday's add/drop. See Page 27 in the Summer/Fall Schedule for assigned times.

DORM OCCUPANCY RATE DROPS BY ALMOST 500

by Heather Wolk

During one of the largest budget cuts in the state, UH may be losing more funds because of low dorm residency in the coming fall semester.

Dorm residency in Moody Towers and in the Quadrangle is down 455 students from last spring, said Jackie Mitchell, assistant director of student housing.

Last fall, the dorms were so overcrowded that despite a lengthy waiting list, students who did get into the dorms often ended up sleeping in a student lounge while waiting for a room.

Sandy Coltharp, associate director of residence life, said many factors attribute to the decline in residency.

"We are down about 500 people, but the university is down in enrollment also," said Coltharp.

She said it is possible that the debt crackdown and new policies could be factors.

"The (students') accounts have to be up to date, as far as owing money. Starting in the fall, they'll be sending us a list so we can verify that the students living on campus are enrolled," Coltharp said.

The two main student housing facilities, the towers and the quad, house approximately 3300 students on campus each year.

Unlike Cambridge Oaks, which is an apartment complex considered to be on-campus housing, dorm fees in the towers or the quad are paid in full or in installments on the students' fee bills.

Cougar Place is also on-campus housing, but is reserved for upper classmen. Rent is paid monthly, as in an apartment complex.

Director of Student Housing Tom Pennett said most of the reasons given by students for not living on campus are financial.

"Some stay at home to save money, or they're not coming to school at all.

"We always have some students who back out of their contracts, but in the previous years, dorm residency has only gone down 50 or 70 students in the summer," said Pennett.

"A lot of students change their minds for financial reasons. Either they didn't receive their financial aid, or they can't come back to school because they have to work full time," said Coltharp.

Mitchell said she is calling those students who failed to accept their contracts for the fall to discover why they are not returning.

"We're doing a survey, trying to locate students who backed out of contracts, and we're finding that most students can't come back for economic reasons," said Mitchell.

"The university has made some changes, and they could certainly be a part of the residence decline. For example, students cannot register if their debt is not paid in full," Mitchell said.

She added that the decline in dorm residency is attributed mostly to new, first-year students, not returning residents.

"The low number of residents will cause us to cut our expenses," said Mitchell. "Low occupancy means low revenue, which means cut spending."

The number of fall residents has not been this low in approximately 10 years, Mitchell said.

"It's been a long time since the number has been so low, but I feel it will change somewhat before classes start in the fall," Mitchell said.

COUNTRY MUSIC LEGEND

EMMYLOU HARRIS HITS HOUSTON

When some people think of country music, they think the irritating, tear in my beer, killed-the-wife-and-dog themes are all too familiar with C&W.

Actually, country vanguards are expanding the sound and making people listen to the new and old sounds breezing down those rustic roads.

Emmylou Harris, playing Houston’s Arena Theater tonight with the Dixie Chicks, is one such balladeer.

Raised in North Carolina and Virginia, the once-aspiring actress got hooked on folk and bluegrass. She tooled her craft in New York City and Washington, D.C. The wind took her to Nashville, where she grooved on rock-tinged country.

Late 60's Tennessee, though, didn't take too kindly to a Southern expatriate and upstart playing Beatles covers with country staples. Plus her close friendship with one-time member of the Byrds and founder of the ground-breaking country-rock outfit the Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, didn't help either.

She accompanied Parson on tour and on two albums, <I>GP<P> and <I>Grievous Angel<P>. Soon after the tour, Parsons died of drug toxicity and Harris went at it on her own.

In 1973, shortly after Parsons’ death, she formed the now-famous Hot Band, which spawned the careers of Rodney Crowell, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Tony Brown and others. The Hot Band got a reputation for smoldering live shows, and Harris’ abilities got respect.

By this time, she’d long ditched Nashville and the country-pop crazes of the time. Settling in Los Angeles–quite possibly the most un-country town west of the Mississippi–Harris continued to perfect her music. She moved back to Nashville and did the partly autobiographical <I>Ballad of Sally Rose<P> and has, for the most part, been there ever since.

Twenty-one albums and six Grammys later, Harris chugs into Houston, her musical vision encompassing elements of rock, folk, bluegrass and traditional country. The popular styles the up-and-comers are now doing are what she developed years ago.

Under the auspices of her newest band (newest as of 1990, that is) the Nash Ramblers, Harris has spearheaded the New Traditionalist movement in country.

Utilizing an acoustic down-home sound, the Nash Ramblers–Al Perkins on banjo and guitar (and ex of the Flying Burrito Brothers), Larry Atamanuik on drums, Mark W. Winchester on upright bass, Randy Stewart on guitar, Sam Bush (a founder of the New Grass Revival) on mandolin and fiddle and Harris on guitar–has garnered much critical praise for its musical competence as well as staying true to country's roots.

Harris’ charm is in her power rather than power chords. A bare but harmonious vocal, snappy guitar and the intuition to assemble among the greatest bands any style of popular music has known. Having the status of a legend doesn't hurt either.

"I never sense that Emmylou’s working within the <I>confines<P> of country music," said Lyle Lovett in a recent interview. "Yet she’s a for-real country singer, <I>the<P> female country singer of our time."

SCULPTING INSTRUCTOR SHAPING DESTINY WHILE FIGHTING FOR ART

by Rashda Khan

The whine of a powerful drill hums in the air. A man with short, dark brown hair and powerful arms is bent over, working on a sword.

It is a big sword with a richly textured hilt. The drill falls silent. His work completed, the man picks up the sword and weighs it in his hands. Then he walks away swinging the sword in the air, slicing and slashing all around.

The place is a University of Houston metal workshop. The man is a student. The sword is a project for his fundamentals of sculpture course.

The sword is also a poignant reminder of the impending budget cuts that the Art Department is facing.

And all of this is a part of Dean Ruck's world.

Ruck, a sculptor and art instructor at UH, says art is of central concern to him. "Life is experience and art is the residue. Art is what is left behind after a life has been spent," he says.

He perceives art through his experiences.

"I chose art because I didn't want to get trapped in a mainstream way of life. I wanted freedom to choose what I want to do."

He chose to be a sculptor because of the tactile and natural feel of sculptures. He says it is more instinctual. It gives him a physical connection with daily existence. To him, two dimensional art is unapproachable.

"A piece of sculpture is less limited. You can't frame it," he says.

Dean's works are usually large scale and interactive. He works with such materials as earth, lumber, steel and liquids. He has created a 40 foot ladder that reaches up to a piece of tree hanging from a studio roof.

Ruck has built a dome-shaped brick structure with a pole protruding from the top. To this, a ball is attached with a rope. The viewer can swing the ball so that it will hit the structure, expecting it to eventually fall.

The shape of the structure was inspired by the architectural shapes built around valuable pieces of art to protect them during World War II. It is an ironic dichotomy about the chaos of war and the concerted effort to preserve art.

His works tend to make a statement and bring up questions. He forces viewers to re-evaluate their values and fears. Ruck constantly throws out alternatives and challenges.

He also helped found GAG, a political action group that supports the arts and protests censorship. It was originally founded to give support to the National Endowment for the Arts. GAG's latest cause happens to be the four departments threatened by the reshaping plans.

Dean sees the university's Art Department as vital to the Houston community. Many of the working artists in Houston attended UH.

"If the departments were cut or down-scaled, the energy that is created at the grassroots level by the art community is going to dissipate," Ruck says, warning that the results would be negative in the long run.

It is a hot afternoon in July. All of the classes are over. All the machines in the different workshops lie silent and still. The emptiness echoes eerily; a reflection of what may be.

COPING WITH DEATH AND DYING

A patient in the throes of cancer needs a remedy to ease pain and encouragement of someone who is willing to empathize with them.

Leila M. Reynolds will speak on the topic of hospice care for the terminally ill on July 20 at the Marriot-Astrodome Hotel. Reynolds will explain an interdisciplinary approach to such care -- her language of death and dying makes acceptance easier for patients and caretakers. For event times and prices, call 798-5483.

STUDENT LEADER TAKES CHARGE, TAKES NAMES

by Kristine Fahrenholz

After dropping out of high school three times to rebel against the administration, Coy Wheeler, speaker of the Students' Association, dropped back into school to lay the groundwork for a university where students are the main concern.

A senior in marketing, Wheeler, 29, sees a double standard at UH.

"The dean of the College of Hotel and Restaurant Management knowingly defrauds the school and (wants to) come back, but students who write bad checks are thrown out of school," he said.

"And these are the same people who are teaching us about ethics," he added.

Wheeler wants to conduct a survey of the Bursar's Office because of the problems students encounter there.

Only a small amount of students voice their opinions to Wheeler or any other SA members. So Jason Fuller, SA's president, wants to do a marketing campaign to raise students' awareness of SA.

Despite the obstacles, Wheeler said, "I would do this job even if I wasn't getting paid."

Wheeler receives $466 per month for his job.

"It is not the money, computers or perks for my resume," he said. "I get my pleasure out of seeing things get done."

Before becoming speaker of SA, Wheeler was a senator for the College of Business Administration.

He dedicates about 30 hours each week to SA, takes classes and works as a bartender on weekends.

Wheeler, a native Texan, will graduate in May. He has been at UH since 1984 -- off and on.

And when he came back to UH after pursuing several management-type jobs, he realized that students were not the major focus of the administration.

"We need to be the focus, not administration, faculty and staff, " he said.

SA needs to get the administration, faculty, staff and students to feel they are a part of this university, he said.

"How long are we going to hide behind the excuse that we are commuter students?" he asked.

"Students active in political issues have never been in the majority," he said, quoting a journal article. "They often have numbered less than 15 percent of the total student body at any period between 1900 and 1980.

"Students don't realize that they are quite lucky to have people who care about this university's goals," he said.

Of 33,000 UH students, only 900 voted in the past SA election.

In a survey done on 236 college campuses about student governments, the number one issue was general student apathy.

"They (students) don't see the things we do, " he said.

"They see things like the legislation put out last year that's basically ridiculous, like the dress code bill," he said, "and they don't necessarily see all the meetings we have."

"Dr. Pickering, out of all the presidents we've had in the past few years, is the most accessible and student friendly," Wheeler said.

"But he is busy and has his hands full, so if there's a problem or something needs to be changed, the students need to tell him," he said.

"And if I have to walk into Pickering's office to tell him he's screwing up, I will," he said. "That's part of my job."

SA hopes to lay a lot of groundwork to make students the focus at UH.

Last year, he said, SA encountered high turnover and internal bickering.

Wheeler is available to students in the UCU room 56 Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and Fridays by appointment.

ATHLETIC DIRECTOR HITS THE TURF RUNNING TOWARD SOLUTIONS TO UH'S IMAGE PROBLEMS

Nobody said it was going to be easy.

When Bill Carr took over as University of Houston athletic director in April, he found himself in a frustrating position right off the bat.

There were swarming allegations against former UH football coach John Jenkins that jepordized the football program's future.

"I was offered the position right in the middle of when the entire thing started to gain momentum," Carr said. "So when I was finally made athletic director, (UH President) Dr. Pickering suggested that I come to work right away."

It didn't get any easier for Carr when Jenkins resigned on April 30.

"After that, I immediately found myself looking for a new replacement," Carr said. "The whole period was extremely abbreviated and just happened so fast."

Getting involved with the Jenkins situation was not what attracted Carr to the AD opening after former director Rudy Davalos left to fill the AD position at University of New Mexico in November.

"I thought that the location in the nation's fourth largest city would be an excellent opportunity for me in terms of a terrific market place," Carr said.

Carr added that he has always wanted to get involved with another "campus position" once he resigned as the athletic director at the University of Florida seven years ago.

"I'm excited to be here and very pleased to have this opportunity," he said.

With the arrival of Carr, along with the addition of head football coach Kim Helton and basketball coach Alvin Brooks, the athletic program at UH is leaning toward a new beginning in hopes of making everything just a little bit easier.

"If you were to order an AD you would order Bill Carr," Helton said.

"It is very important that we have a program that is based upon a sense of proper principles, character, commitment and integrity," Carr said. "It's critical that we are authentic in how we do business."

Carr also stressed the importance of cooperation of the administrators, coaches, and faculty with the students, community, and alumni -- a bond that could be difficult due to the abundance of students who do not live on campus.

"I'm aware that UH is more like a community college," Carr said. "But if we can make good use of the resources that are available to us in Houston, then I feel confident that over a period of time we'll have something good going here."

Carr said the program at Florida was encouraging since the campus was larger and had more full-time students. He is willing to make sure that the enthusiasm displayed at Gainesville rubs off on Houston and its student body.

"Bill's enthusiasm is tremendous," Brooks said. "He is very organized in crossing all his T's and dotting all his I's."

"Anytime he can have success, he is a guy you root for," Helton added.

"No university is greater than what its people allow it to be," Carr said. "You must have good people and leadership, and furthermore, you've got to work hard to stay with it."

If working hard is the easiest way to do things, then so be it.

FORMER COUGAR COLLAS LOOKING FOR THREE-PEAT AT MACCABIAH GAMES

It is not often that an individual can combine police investigating and run the 1500 meters, but for former University of Houston track and field athlete Nora Collas, anything is possible.

Collas is competing in the 14th World Maccabiah games in Israel that began July 5. The 1993 event mark Collas' third appearance in the games.

Collas' first outing in 1985 earned him two gold medals. In 1989 he won a bronze and a silver.

"The games are a great way for me to stay involved in something I love," Collas said.

As an investigator with the Department of Justice, the California native earned first-place finishes in the 1500 meter and 10K events in the 1992 Police Olympics in San Diego.

As a Cougar, Collas racked up a sum of awards. She was a five-time All-American for her performances on the track and field and cross country teams.

Collas was busy in 1985. She placed third in the 10,000 meters and fourth in the 5,000 meters at the NCAA championships. She also was named Most Valuable Runner and took first place in the Southwest Conference Cross-Country Championships.

Collas has placed her mark in the UH record books forever and now seeks to repeat her award winning ways in the Macabiah games.

"The games provide a source of competition and a special spirit that I am proud to be affiliated with," Collas said.

NATION

Women gain in degrees, lag in pay

CPS - Although the past two decades have seen women make strides in higher education, in 1991 women with bachelor of science degrees made 31 percent less than their male counterparts, and remain employed, for the most part, in stereotypical "female" occupations, according to a report from the American Council of Education.

During the past 20 years, the number of adult women who completed at least four years of college has more than doubled. In 1991, 18 percent of adult women and 24 percent of adult men had attended college for four years or more.

The report also stated that among full-time adult workers, women earn considerably less than men with the same level of education. The gap appears to be narrowing, however, because in 1986 women graduates earned 35 percent less than similarly educated men.

On college campuses, the report stated, women are "overwhelmingly" in the lower ranks of academe. Females held 15 percent of full professorships, 28 percent of associate professorships, 40 percent of assistant professorships, and 46 percent instructor or lecturer positions if 1991.

According to fall 1992 faculty reports, there are 40 female and 335 male professors at UH.

SIU black graduation rate highest

CPS - Southern Illinois University at Carbondale ranks first among predominantly white U.S. schools for the number of African Americans who earn undergraduate degrees, according to a study by Black Issues in Higher Education.

Southern Illinois awarded bachelor's degrees to 782 black students during the 1989-90 academic year, or 8.2 percent of the institution's baccalaureate degrees. About 10 percent of the university's 24,766 students are black, officials said. The report is based on figures from the U.S. Department of Education.

Student housing for gays delayed

CPS - A decision to allow gay and lesbian couples to move into family housing at Ohio State University was delayed so the board of trustees could study the issue.

The apartments at Buckeye Village are reserved for married couples, but university President E. Gordon Gee had decided that gay and lesbian couples should be allowed into married housing to be consistent with non-discriminatory policies for dormitories. The new policy was to have begun July 1.

In late May, Gee said public concerns forced the board to review the policy. "There have been questions about the use of tax dollars, even though there are no tax or tuition monies involved," he said.

"Another issue that arose was the application of the policy limiting it to same-sex couples only. And while these issues merit further consideration, there are some people who just disagree with the decision, period."

To be qualified as a domestic partnership, the gay or lesbian partners must prove that they have been in the relationship at least six months. Other criteria include having combined incomes and being responsible for the common welfare of the partners.

Meanwhile, at Iowa State University in Ames, a similar proposal was turned down by President Martin Jischker, who rejected the same-sex housing proposal because family student housing already had a long waiting list of applicants.