TITLE IX DECISION HITS TEXAS

The ever-changing face of college athletics will soon get a new look as a result of a University of Texas lawsuit that was settled out of court July 8.

In an effort to enforce gender equity in the athletic realm, UT has opted to add two new sports to its female athletic program over the next three years. Soccer and softball will be implemented starting in the fall.

The debate over Title IX has engaged and perplexed colleges nationwide as they have searched for ways to amend the athletic imbalance.

Title IX is a 21-year-old federal statute prohibiting gender discrimination in educational institutions that receive federal funds.

The NCAA looks at many things when determining policies concerning Title IX.

It considers the number of opportunities that students have to participate in various programs, as well as the number of individual sports an athlete may participate in.

The number of athletic programs at the University of Houston are at an even seven.

The women have a volleyball team, basketball team, tennis, swimming and diving, cross-country, indoor track and outdoor track.

The men have football, basketball, baseball, golf, cross-country, indoor track and outdoor track.

Volleyball coach Bill Walton sees UT's decision to expand its athletic program as a step in the right direction.

"Texas is demonstrating leadership in this case," Walton said. "Everybody is waiting for a legal precedent to be set. Everybody wants to know what is fair and equal."

UH is seeking equality amid low attendance rates for male to female student athletes as well as scholarships received by the male and female athletes.

In 1991-92, the male student-athletes at UH outnumbered female student-athletes 222 to 89.

In the same year female UH student-athletes received 32 percent of the athletic scholarships.

"The answer is this," Walton said. "Let's not cut programs. Instead, let's fund more programs for the athletes. "

"It should be the duty of the athletic department to create revenue for the programs. A university should step up and meet the responsibilities of the program."

The UH program is poised to meet the the requirements necessary to have a fair program.

"Mr. Carr has the opinion that the school should do what is right to equally serve the student-athletes," Walton said.

*******************************************************

SHOCKED NO LONGER A LIVE WIRE

Four albums, a Supreme Court case, TV, homelessness and 80 styles later, music-bending bard Michelle Shocked has pledged not to take herself so seriously.

Coming into Houston Saturday with her band, the Casualties of War, and no opening act, Shocked showed a decidedly whimsical, playful side before a near-capacity crowd at the classy Rockefeller’s West.

It was Shock's second release that turned her into a reluctant critical sensation. <I>Short Sharp Shocked<P> poured bluegrass-tinged country around Shocked’s unpretentious vocals and earned her a world tour accompanied only by her guitar and a sound engineer.

The <I>Short<P> tour almost got axed, though, by jailtime. Shocked, once a self-professed anarchist, was a co-defendant in 1990’s landmark <I>Johnson vs. Texas<P> flag-burning case brought before the Supreme Court. Fortunately enough for everyone, the Court decision kept Michelle out of jail and on the road.

<I>Captain Swing<P> followed up <I>Short<P>, then came the latest, <I>Arkansas Traveller<P>.

Shocked stays fascinating by squishing together different styles to see what happens. On <I>Short<P>, it was bluegrass and country. On <I>Swing<P>, it was Big Band and blues. Coming to Houston, she sported "fonk"–folk and funk lumped together for a quivering beat.

Saturday’s set was definitely an R&B affair. From rousing versions of "Hello Hopeville" and "V.F.D." to the drum-driven "Streetcorner Ambassador" to a funked up version of "Mama May I," Shocked was on a roll in a James Brown vein.

Gone were the cynicism and political diatribes that marked her past shows. At one point, wearing a feather boa and top hat, Shocked got the crowd to repeat after her: "I will not take myself so seriously." Perhaps a year and 10 days of marriage has mellowed her. Maybe it’s the certainty of growing older. Whatever it is, Shocked was relaxed, happy and all smiles.

A sensual "If Love Was A Train," a scorching "(Making the Run to) Gladewater" the bouncy "God is a Real Estate Developer" and a groovy "Peachfuzz" topped the set. The well-wound Casualties of War’s cover of the theme to "Shaft" and Shocked’s plunge into the Bee Gees’ "Staying Alive" was worth the show too.

One of the real disappointments was muting the all-around effect of funk by using keyboard-generated horns. Great live performers need great live bands–emphasis here on the word <I>live<P>, as in alive. Dumping the electronic horns is a must.

Closing up shop, Shocked delivered "The Secret to a Long Life (is Knowing When It’s Time To Go)." A new attitude, it seems, has given Michelle Shocked a new lease on life, one she intends to enjoy.

STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER ? PRE-GAME ANTHEM STRIKES OUT

by Rebecca McPhail

Sound Advice

It seems to me it's about time we did away with singing the national anthem at sporting events.

How can a group of rowdy, possibly inebriated potential heatstroke victims be expected to remember the words to "The Star Spangled Banner," let alone stand up straight for three minutes?

A more fitting activity might be a little invocation before each event. This way we could avoid nasty little scenes like Huey Lewis and the News performing acappella and Roseanne Arnold manhandling herself after a fiercely off-key rendition of her own.

Each sport would have its own particular saying. Baseball's, for example, might take the form of:

"Baseball's good. Baseball's great./ Now let's see some action at home plate."

See how simple that is?

Now if I could just get the hot dog vendors to start stocking Godiva chocolates...

Thursday

Art Directors Club of Houston Auction Rice Media Center

Purchase top-quality local art at cut-rate prices. Not only will you look oh-so-cool, but the proceeds benefit DIFFA, the Ellen Tamm Memorial Scholarship and special ADCH projects. The auction begins at 6 p.m.

Monday

Houston Press '93 Music Awards at the Music Hall

810 Bagby

Austin's guitar virtuoso, Eric Johnson, tops the evening's bill. Other performers include The Basics, Planet Shock and, musical flavor of the month, Carolyn Wonderland. The event benefits Stone Soup Food Assistance Program - AIDS Foundation Houston. For ticket information call 629-3700.

VISUALLY IMPAIRED GETTING SHARPER FOCUS

by Marla Crawford

Many of us take for granted the unrestricted ability to take notes, copy from overhead projectors and bubble in scantrons.

According to Karen Waldman, director of the UH Center for Students with Disabilities, an average of 70 visually impaired students use special resources available through the center.

There are various kinds of visual impairments. People can be legally blind but still have enough sight to read. She says few students are totally blind – but despite their level of visual impairment, the center can still provide services.

A computer equipped with a voice synthesizer and voice recognition that will type what the student says is also available for use.

"We do a lot of advocacy with professors. Sometimes we've gotten entire classrooms moved because we've had a student in a class with one of those white shiny boards and they can't see because of the glare," she says. Volunteer readers tape textbooks for student use. "It's kind of a misconception – the majority of people do not use Braille," Waldman says.

If a student needs help reading their student handbook or course schedule, the student can have Waldman's staff read it to them. Signage in Braille and large raised letters will be installed on campus soon.

To qualify for services, Juanita Beeson, a Texas Commission for the Blind counselor, says a student must meet eligibility requirements. Students must be classified legally blind, having 20/200 vision – that means an object to someone with perfect vision standing within 200 feet of it will be visible to a legally blind person within 20 feet of the object -- or have a progressive disease that affects vision or have a restricted field of vision, like tunnel vision.

If economic criteria are met, help with books and supplies is available. Sometimes a stipend is also provided.

Waldman says, "We're just trying to give them an equal advantage. Not an advantage above and beyond what other students have."

AUSTIN TREATMENT PROMPTS UH ACTION

Even while the legislative session in Austin is over, fear of more budget cuts and tuition hikes the next time around is prompting UH students and staff into action.

In the last legislative session, UH saw an $8 million cut in appropriations. Although the cuts were only half of what was expected, and bills like performance funding, which asked that UH live up to unrealistic academic standards to receive its funding, failed, formula funding was still effected.

Formula funding is a method that the state uses to fund all state universities on a common ground. The formulas are developed according to how many credit hours are taught per semester in each department.

Some schools are hit harder than others because their funding is not determined on an individual basis. While the state may provide high funding for engineering programs, a school without this program would lose out on the money.

With the next session still more than a year and a half away, Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning and executive associate to the president is meeting with Students' Association executives and other administration officials to devise strategies so cuts will not be so drastic and UH will be prepared.

"We are not just sitting back on our duffs. We lost $8 million in two years. That is more than anyone in the state. We are going to be talking with representatives so we have some kind of idea who will be sponsoring what bills. We don't want to be hit at the knees," said Szilagyi.

Szilagyi explained that right now a small "legislative team" made up of SA president Jason Fuller, Director of External Affairs for SA Blanca Villarreal, Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee, and Associate Vice President for University Relations Wendy Adair are working on monitoring parts of the university that they already know will be under scrutiny in the next session.

"Right now we know that the Coordinating Board has been asked to study which classes and departments have tenured professors teaching. They want to make it so that you will get more formula funding for classes that are taught by tenured professors. They don't want to see as many graduate students and TA's teaching classes," said Szilagyi.

Since the UH student population is one third graduate students, Szilagyi worries that the state is not looking at the true mission of UH.

"We have a graduate mission," he said.

Teaching classes is a required part of the graduate curriculum in most schools.

The team is also worried about tuition hikes.

"In the last session we didn't have to worry about them passing tuition hikes because they decided in the beginning not to," said Szilagyi.

Legislators agree that tuition hikes are always a threat.

"Tuition hikes are an issue. Every session there is a request for tuition hikes. We never support it, but its always there," said Maureen O'Reilly, legislative aide for Representitive Debra Danburg, D-Houston.

A representative in Danburg's office also believes that the student regent bill, which asks for a participating student position on the Board of Regents, will be brought up again. It failed in the last session.

"The regents board makes very important decisions. They select the president of the university and ultimately approve his decisions," said Fuller.

Fuller believes that the best time to work with representatives is when the session is over and they are in their home districts.

"We are also tying to get some UH alumni on the Coordinating Board. It will help us," said Fuller.

The legislative group plans to invite representatives for day-long programs at UH where they will attend classes and have lunch with students and faculty. Szilagyi believes this will help legislators know UH's issues on a personal level.

An internship program where UH students work in local representatives offices is also in the works.

"We are not going to ignore the representatives during the next year and a half," said Szilagyi.

STUDENT FINDS MEN HAVING SEX IN LIBRARY

Two men were witnessed having sex Thursday evening in the fourth floor men's room in the brown wing of the M.D. Anderson Library.

"There they were right in the middle of the bathroom floor. One guy was bent over and the other guy was behind him. Their drawers were down around their ankles. I was like 'Jesus Christ,' " said witness Craig Cahill, a junior in Hotel and Restaurant Management.

While the police are still investigating and can not give details about the incident, Cahill said he could positively identify both men and that one was a library employee.

"When they saw me they stood up and the guy withdrew. One of the guys waddled off into the stall. I turned around and walked out. Then one guy walked out with his head down and the other guy pranced out," said Cahill.

"The librarian came and we walked around trying to find the guys. I saw one and said 'That's him.' The librarian said, 'That guy works here,' " he said.

Cahill said he saw the men at 5:55 p.m. and the library employee was supposed to start his shift at 6:00.

The police report says the complaint was of public lewdness, but Cahill said he heard the police mentioning that the men could be facing charges of sodomy.

Texas is one of seven states that still has sodomy laws. The law says "deviant sexual intercourse" between members of the same sex is illegal. Deviant sex is defined as contact between the genital area and the anus or the mouth.

"Usually charges in this kind of situation are public lewdness. It is easier to prove than sodomy and has a higher fine, possibly even a small jail term," said Tim Brown, a legislative assistant to Rep. Glen Maxey (D-Austin).

Although Cahill filled out a complete report, charges can not be made until the police investigation is complete and both men are found.

Kathleen Gunning, assistant director for public services and collection development at the library, said she could not make any comments on the incident. She said right now the case is strictly a police matter.

TUITION HELP COMING FOR ALTRUISTIC STUDENTS

by Tammy Gamble

President Clinton has proposed a plan that could fix two national problems with one program, and would also allow many people to pursue careers which they only dreamed about.

The National Service Trust Act of 1993 is designed to find man-power for community services, offering as an incentive a possible $10,000 educational grant.

Ethan Zindler, a press spokesperson for the Office of National Service, said people who wanted to take traditionally low-paying jobs as teachers but couldn't, because they needed more money to pay back loans, would now have the opportunity.

This program is unique from any other aid program in that people are able to help themselves, Zindler said. Some people would be more interested in this program instead of working on their own, because the educational grant is guaranteed as long as they complete the work.

At UH, $10,000 would be enough to pay for tuition, fees and books for most Texas-resident undergraduate students. For out-of-state students or students living in the dorms, the money would at least make a big dent in the bill.

The program, which has been part of Clinton's election promises, allows people age 17 and older to work either full-time for one year or part time for two years in a approved community service organization and receive $5,000 directly toward repaying a college loan or toward attending the college of their choice, Zindler said.

Participants could be involved in the program for up to two terms and earn $10,000 in grants. They would also be paid a stipend based on minimum wage, and they would have access to health benefits and child care, Zindler said.

The program would be a new form of the Peace Corps, a long-running service organization, Zindler said. "We want to take efforts going on today and nurture them. This program empowers people to follow their dreams," Zindler said.

The possible service jobs available to people are endless, including teaching, environmental work, law enforcement, health care and Habitat for Humanity programs, Zindler said.

The program would have a federal office, but each community would also have a local program with services designed to fit the needs of the particular community, Zindler said. Each local program would be required to collect funds from local public and private sources, along with receiving federal monies.

Robert Sheridan, director of the UH Scholarships and Financial Aid Office, said the program is fundamentally not a financial aid program, but is instead a national service plan. The proposed program is different from financial aid programs in that participants are required to work in a service job and must apply through a local program, not through the university, Sheridan said.

Students would be not be the only ones eligible for the plan, because the program is also open to people paying off college loans and to those who want to attend college later, Sheridan said.

The program is valuable to people, including UH students, who have the talent but not the funding to pursue their careers, Sheridan said. "One of the great things about the United States is people's willingness in volunteering. The program would be an incentive for more people to volunteer," Sheridan said.

The program, which has not yet been passed by the U.S. Congress, would carry a price tag of approximately $5 billion, Sheridan said.

The big question still unanswered is how to fund the program, he said.

Clinton hopes to make the program available to 165,000 people in its first year of operation. Zindler said operation could begin in the spring of 1994 if the program is approved by Congress.

People are excited about wanting to help the nation and in turn receive educational assistance, Zindler said.

Zindler said one example of how the United States could benefit is in health care. Currently, one million children under the age of two are not given immunizations because their parents don't know they need them, Zindler said.

Some volunteers would be able to reach these parents and inform them. The savings would be found in paying a few dollars for immunization, instead of thousands of dollars if the child should get sick from not having the shot, Zindler said.

"We would have healthier kids and save thousands of dollars to taxpayers," Zindler said.

Many details about the plan, such as funding and guidelines for participation, are still unclear. However, Clinton continues to insist the program will be formed. The only question left is when it will start.

GYM SHORTS

Track

Samuel Jefferson and Michele Collins made winning gold medals look easy at the University World Games that ended July 18 in Buffalo, N.Y.

Jefferson captured one gold medal and one silver medal. Collins brought home two gold medals. Their combined number of medals contributed to the United States' total of 75 medals.

Collins won the open 400 with a time of 52.01 and the 1,600 relay with a time of 3:26.18.

Jefferson won a gold for his efforts in the 400 relay 38.65 and a silver in the 100 with a time of 10.13.

Collins and Jefferson will compete in the World Championships in August.

Rice's Kareem Streete-Thompson won a gold in the long jump.

Basketball

Images from the past will grace Hofhienz Pavilion Saturday night as Cougar greats will compete in the Reunion Basketball Game. Tip-off is 7 p.m.

Portland Trailblazer Clyde Drexler, Otis Birdsong, and Don Chaney are among the participants at the game. Akeem Olajuwon, center for the Houston Rockets is scheduled to appear at the game.

NEWSLINE

UH student wins contest

Richard Cooper, a UH architecture student, won second place in a contest to design a research station for 12 scientists on the highest point on the Antarctic ice plateau. Designers had to take into account the safety and comfort of the researchers when the projects were created.

The National Science Foundation, and well as the American Institute of Architecture students, sponsored the contest. Cooper’s faculty sponsor in the event was Guillermo Trotti.

Jenkins denied job

Former head football coach John Jenkins has been denied the opportunity to be UNLV's quarterbacks coach because of previous alleged NCAA violations at UH.

UNLV football coach Jim Strong went head to head with Athletic Director Jim Weaver about Strong’s fervent attempts to bring Jenkins onto the staff.

However, Strong's battle with Weaver ended in defeat, as his request to hire Jenkins was denied because of Jenkins' previous involvement in an ongoing NCAA investigation.

Jenkins resigned in May of '93 when he was charged with several NCAA violations by former UH assistant coach Steve Staggs.

Schedule Reminders

Today is the last day to drop a class and receive a tuition refund. The last day to drop a class or withdraw for Summer IV is Tuesday, July 27. Regular registration for fall is August 2-3, from 10 am until 7 pm.