TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES ABOUND

by Rashda Khan

As soon as it is mentioned, the listener is swept off into a whirlwind of color and exotica. The word traveller is touched with magic.

Students look forward to their spring, summer and winter breaks. Travel affords them the opportunity to escape the monotony of everyday life and the daily grind of studies.

The only problem is the expense. Traveling costs include transportation, living, food, shopping and emergency money. When totalled, the expenses can be huge. For many students, such trips are beyond their financial means.

A not so well known fact is that many organizations sponsor field research trips and educational expeditions.

Generally, volunteers must contribute labor and some money. Sometimes, volunteers donate between $800 and $3,000 and spend their vacations doing hard and often dirty work. However, they do get to work in beautiful far-off places. Students can conduct volcano studies in Iceland or Madagascar, coral reef studies in Fiji and even social science studies in Malaysia.

The trips are considered tax deductible if it can be proved that no significant elements of personal pleasure, recreation or vacation are involved, according to the Internal Revenue Code.

Some organizations that arrange for such expeditions are :

•Earthwatch

P.O. Box 403 NP, Watertown, Mass., 02272. (800) 776-0188.

•University Research Expeditions Program

University of California, Berkeley, 94720. (510) 642-6586.

•Smithsonian Research Expe-ditions

490 L'Enfant Plaza S.W., Suite 4210, Washington, D.C., 20560. (202) 287-3210.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Benefit barbecue

There will be a benefit barbecue lunch for bursar office employee, Renee Ramirez, whose house burned down early Thursday morning.

Ramirez lost everything including clothes for her children who are 3, 12 and 14 years old. Donations of money, cleaning supplies and clothes will be accepted in the Bursar's Office. The lunch will be held at noon on July 24 at Compardes Drive-in (3509 Harrisburg, near Maxwell House between Milby and York) and will be $4 a plate. For any questions please call Lisa Belmarez at 235-6335.

Towing the line

Monday nights Students' Association meeting saw the passing of two bills pertaining to car towing. Towing signs will be posted at every university entrance warning students of penalties.

The other bill will allow students who arrive on the scene while their car is being towed to pay the fine on the spot and have their car released to them. The purpose is to save time for students and the tow company.

UH President James Pickering must approve the bills in order for the new rules to be implemented.

Schedule Reminders

The last day to drop a class or withdraw for Summer IV is Tuesday, July 27. Regular registration for fall is August 2-3, from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.

A DIFFERENT VOICE

INDEPENDENT LABELS GIVE ARTISTS A CHANCE TO REACH LARGER AUDIENCE

by Rebecca McPhail

She's a woman and she plays guitar. It's right about here, however, that the similarities to Joni Mitchell end.

Unlike her eternally martyred sixties sister, Liz Phair is a wholly 90s version of the folk singer. She's electric, eclectic and pissed off.

<I>Exile in Guyville<P> is the 25-year-old's debut record on New York's Matador records.

The record is a study in the art of contradictions. Phair poses for liner note photos wearing a bra and panties (or less) yet her songs echo the sentiments of a woman who has no qualms calling herself a feminist. She's a petite blond yet she sings in husky voice that's probably a good octave lower than most other females in the business.

The 18-song <I>Guyville<P> is an intensely personal document of a woman making her way through the debris of our post-modern society.

"Divorce Song," one of the most accessible tracks on the release, looks at the breakup of a marriage through the eyes of a couple on a car trip. The specific references to lost maps and stolen cigarette lighters turn into metaphors for the disintegration of the marriage.

"And the license said you had to stick around/until I was dead/But if you're tired of looking at my face/I guess I already am," Phair sings in a plaintive voice.

Oddly enough, the music to "Divorce Song" is a catchy jangle of acoustic guitar and fat, bouncing basslines, accented by the over-eager crashing of cymbals at every turn. Like The Smiths, Phair is able to disassociate her lyrics from the music.

On "Stratford-on-Guy," Phair is given a chance to flex her poetic muscles over the strange looping guitar intro.

"I was flying into Chicago at night/Watching the lake turn the sky into blue-green smoke/The sun was setting to the left of the plane/And the cabin was filled with a unearthly glow," she sings.

The record's production is light and instrumentation is spare. Yet, Phair's music is the type that would be lost under the burden of heavy orchestration and slickly glossed over vocals.

Guyville is not an altogether easy record to digest. It is a raw and at times ragged personal statement by an honest woman. The ride may be bumpy but it's not to be missed.

******************************

******************************

by Rebecca McPhail

There were always those rides at the amusement park -- they were bigger, faster and scarier. Those were the rides that separated the heroes from the cowards.

Insane Jane is the roller-coaster that turns the passenger upside down and inside out. In other words, this is where the sissies get off.

<I>Each Finger<P> is the band's debut record released on Georgia's Sky Records.

Spearheading the aural assault is Yellow, the group's enigmatic lead singer. Although the music is tight and the players talented, it is Yellow's voice that steals the show. She seems to hold back in the studio, but one gets the feeling that if she really let loose with a wail, she could blow a listener from here to Cincinnati.

"I'm Flying" is a drum-propelled powerhouse which looks at the secret desires in everyone. The song contains a lyrical wink in the form of a reference to Jane's musical predecessors the MC5. Above the sonic haze soars Yellow's clear-as-a-bell voice.

The most enchanting song on the record is "Lollipop Serenade." A giddy look at the intoxication of love, the melodies spiral upward at dizzying speed until Yellow's breathless finale.

"Lollipop" is further augmented by a drum beat that seems constantly in danger of getting ahead of itself and a chorus of angelic backup vocals.

The album closes with the neo-punk "3-D Jesus" in which Yellow generates enough vocal power to light up a small city for several hours.

Now, who was it who said women can't rock?

BLACK WOMEN STRUGGLE FOR EQUALITY

Since <I>Ain’t I a Woman<P>, feminist scholar bell hooks has paved new academic thought in the areas of race, sex, self-recovery and social politics. Her newest, <I>Sisters of the Yam: Black Women and Self-Recovery<P> tries to do the same–in 190 pages.

<I>Sisters<P> tries to address the lives and socialization of black women and how the pursuit of healing by these women often raises the specters of racism and anti-feminism of which, hooks notes, even Susan Faludi’s <I>Backlash<P> did not touch. Alone, such would be a large idea to get across, but hooks tackles even more as <I>Sisters<P> unfolds.

Most of it is personal narrative, which gives the book a relaxed but serious tone. Stories of black women in hooks’ native Kentucky, old friends and family relations are presented to bring home her points much better than the formulation of complex theories.

hooks’ strength is her ability to deconstruct situations and the forces that create the tensions we face years later in everyday life. The strength of any academian–particularly one such as hooks, who can be perceived as a bourgeois intellectual–is being able to weave a story, making the political personal.

Thus hooks shows the political implications of social interactions. How is the black woman to see herself and the race as beautiful if reinforcement from family figures cites whiteness as a mark of prestige? As in <I>Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black,<P> she points out the relations that effect everyone, patching together a critical link between everything we learn as children and how it affects our outlook, political leanings and understanding of oppression.

hooks has long been an advocate of self-recovery as a political organizing tool. Thus liberation cannot take place, hooks argues here, until the recipients of abuse understand and heal those wounds.

As critically, a political analysis is necessary to understand socialization, hooks says, because the institutions of racism, sexism and capitalism spawned many dysfunctions visible now. It is a dense and fascinating theory, obviously, that gives hooks a chance to sink into the issues <I>Sisters<P> raises.

However, at some points, <I>Sisters<P> seems somewhat narrow, as if aimed toward specific types of families, although many problems she observes are not exclusive to black women.

Certainly criticism can be made that her analysis might be based on her class background or current orientation, but that’s likely simplistic. Moreover, some parts sound as if hooks is taking apart her own family rather than observing those whose families she has learned about.

Another fault of <I>Sisters<P> is hooks’ failure to fully address the recovery of those who apply negative reinforcement to women.

Each enforcer is recognized as the product and survivor of a racist and patriarchal society, yet healing internalized racism and sexism of this group leaves a mammoth hole in hooks’ social critique. Is the past generation to be forsaken so as to heal the pains of the younger? Of course not, but <I>Sisters<P> does not adequately address this.

<I>Sisters<P> is poignant though not benchmark. To some extent, hooks has explored issues of black women and self-recovery in previous books and writings. <I>Sisters<P> merely expands previous scholarship, leaving plenty of room for debate and discussion. And maybe that’s how hooks would like it.

<I>Sisters of the Yam<P> is available through South End Press, 116 Saint Botolph, Boston, MA 02115.

LITTLE GIRL FROM READING SAVORING AFTER PUBLICATION

Rosellen Brown is definitely one to see what others never notice.

In an autobiography, she included a photograph of her smiling mother, Blossom Lieberman Brown, that included the caption: "She was eight and a half months pregnant with my oldest brother and the photographer blotted him out!"

Brown, a visiting professor in the Graduate Creative Writing Program, has taught at the University of Houston since fall 1982. She has also established herself as a distinct voice among many in literature. A rather short woman with a voice that belies her petite stature, the mother of Elana and Adina has also given birth to four novels that have won the hearts of fans and colleagues alike.

She centers on what seems to be an ordinary family in her bestselling novel <I>Before and After<P>. Once the narrator removes the veil, however, a dark secret is revealed.

While she prepared to write her latest novel – the story of a family that has to face the realization that their 17-year-old son has murdered his girlfriend – Brown consulted Mary Bacon, judge of the 338th District Court.

Of the judge, Brown says, "I spent time in her courtroom and I spent a lot of time talking to her about some of the larger issues. I wanted to know from her how unusual it was for a family to refuse to cooperate with the legal system if one of their children was accused of a crime."

Still somewhat surprised at how the judge received the book, she reveals a sense of disbelief as she speaks of her. Brown is somewhat modest – a person who has a hard time understanding how the latest novel appealed to so many people.

"The wonderful thing now is that she keeps buying copies of the book to give to her friends, and I sign them right on the page that mentions her name because she seems to be pleased – I guess it's fairly unusual for a judge to be acknowledged that way," she says, laughing heartily.

Both the judge and Hollywood have taken notice. Although Brown probably would not enjoy a supper of liver, fava beans and a nice Chianti, her novel is being adapted by <I>Silence of the Lambs<P> screenwriter Ted Tally. She doesn't have quite the cannibalistic taste of Dr. Hannibal Lecter, but she does enjoy reminiscing about another cook.

In Brown's Snapshot article, which appeared in the April issue of Life magazine, she reminisces on the time she spent at Tougaloo College with her husband, Marvin Hoffman.

And Bobo.

Also known as Ernst Borinski, the short, portly man who created a "cuisine that he called 'Cherman-Chinese-Polish-Southern,' featuring unsubtle dollops of cabbage, soy sauce, mustard–whatever came to hand that could make piquant and original something that might otherwise be dull."

Borinski, once a lawyer and judge in Germany, narrowly escaped the death camp. Only he and his brother survived. Brown is inspired by Borinski, one of several "fathers" –in addition to David H. Brown– who pushed her to hone her writing skills.

One of them locked her in the high school newsroom until she finished her essays.

"I did write to him to thank him for being kind of a stepping stone. You never know which of those stones, if it was missing, you would have sunk right there. You look back on your life and it's very hard to know who were the most important people sometimes," she says, referring to one of her mentors.

Despite Brown's confidence in her writing ability, there are still moments when the thought of an expert finding mistakes in her fiction about a family's encounter with the criminal justice system stirs a little fear and nervousness.

"One of my nightmares was that some lawyer who writes, like Scott Turow, was going to be given this book to review for a prominent place like The New York Times and he would say, 'She doesn't know anything about the law, she has made so many mistakes,' because I don't know that much about the law and I had to feel my way around."

As a quiet, serious girl, Brown often withdrew into her own world. Born in 1939, she spent part of her childhood in Reading and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And the City of Angels. She seems to enjoy the opportunity to travel, whether it be to a "gig" in Alaska or Chicago.

"When I was doing a reading in Chicago one night at a book store, they hand delivered a letter to me from Scott Turow and he was saying he was so sorry he couldn't be there that night, but he had loved the book and in fact, he said if I was looking for a screenwriter sometime, he would love to write the script for a movie."

She began her career as a wordsmith at an early age. "I started when I was about nine. I wrote everything – I didn't make any distinctions. When you're a child and you write, you don't really care whether it's poetry or short stories, you're not thinking about that. You just want to express yourself."

Brown, sitting upright as she speaks within the confines of her well-lit office that has few objects and bare walls, says writers need to take time to find their voice.

"Writers have to use their memories of things that they've seen, recombine them and shape them," says Brown, who wears tie-dyed or embroidered shirts and parts her hair down the middle. Her memories of life in Mississippi – the home of civil rights crusaders Fannie Lou Hamer, Medgar Evers and the place where students Goodman, Chaney and Schwerner died – inform some of her work.

"I published a poem in Poetry – which is really one of the great poetry magazines – when I was 20. I've never been able to get in there since. I've been going backwards," she says.

She may be going backwards, but Brown will probably notice the minutiae as she takes those steps.

TAXPAYERS TALKING

Many taxpayers get a massive migraine headache when April 15 stares them in the face.

Taxpayers concerned that 40 percent of their income taxes are applied to the interest on the national debt are voicing their concerns by joining the Taxpayers Coalition of Greater Houston.

Members, who will meet in Judge Till's courtroom Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., will discuss the HISD and City of Houston budgets as well as local and national tax policies.

The courtroom is located on the corner of Chimney Rock and Gulfton.

PLAN MAY EASE HIRING OF FOREIGN PROFS

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

If the Department of Labor's new proposal is implemented, foreign faculty members will be eligible to work at U.S. universities more easily in some states and in certain disciplines.

The department determined labor shortages in 10 defined occupational classifications in states including Texas.

In Texas, faculty members are needed in biological science, chemistry, chemical engineering, computer science and mechanical engineering.

The department invited the public to comment on the proposal and has received an overwhelming opposition.

While some of UH's department chairmen support the proposal, some do not, saying that the positions can be filled by Americans.

However, some professors also said that vacant positions are not filled because of the financial restraints.

Dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics John Bear gave more than one reason for the shortage of the faculty members. He said graduates are not willing to stay in the academic environment, faculty positions are fewer and not enough American students are going into the sciences.

The Department of Labor's proposal will be helpful in filling vacant positions more quickly, said J.C. Huang, chairman of the computer science department.

"Not many young Americans are interested in going to the science area. One half of the Ph.D. graduates (from computer science ) are foreign nationalities," he said.

Department of Chemistry Chairman Donald Elthon said to hire the best faculty member is his principal objective, regardless of whether the person is foreign or American.

Elthon said that he is ready to go through the paper work, which will take six months to two years, if the department needs to hire a foreign faculty member.

Although more than 90 percent of the students at the undergraduate level are Americans, at the graduate level two thirds of them are foreign students, Elthon added.

Finding faculty members in chemistry is not a big enough problem to require changes in the present immigration regulations, Elthon said.

According to the current immigration rules, in order to apply for a labor certification for a foreigner, employers should submit evidence (based on extensive recruiting efforts), that they can not find a qualified applicant for a specific job.

The department's new proposal suggests that if there is a labor shortage, a labor certification shall be deemed to have been issued for that occupation. Because the present process is both lengthy and costly.

"Current policy works well," said Dan Luss, chairman of the Chemical Engineering Department. The problem, he said, is graduates usually want to go into industry not into academics.

Biology Department Chairman Robert L. Hazelwood said they have no difficulty finding faculty members among American citizens.

"I would not support the proposal. I don't think it is needed," said Larry Witte, chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

The Department of Labor has approximately two and a half months to make a rule about the proposal. The department will consider comments from public while deciding on the implementation of the proposal.

According to the Department of Labor's list, the other five professions in which labor shortage exist in 26 states are: special education teachers, primary medical care physicians, medical technologists, materials engineerings and Chinese and Japanese food cooks.

DEBT POLICY PLAGUED WITH PROBLEMS

by Heather Wolk

While UH has enforced several strict policies with high hopes of eliminating bad debt problems, some say these changes are hurting the students, not helping them.

One of the new policies is the "cash only" list. This policy, implemented in the spring '93 semester, states that if a student has written two bad checks to the university for tuition and fees, the student must forfeit check-writing privileges for one year.

After one year, the student must petition for eligibility with the bursar.

However, the only way students know they are unable to write personal checks to the university is a statement in small print on the fee bill, which is received by mail.

But the fee bills printed out in E. Cullen do not have the statement warning students that their personal checks will not be accepted as payment.

So, students who come to pay their fee bills (fee bills that were printed out in the cashier's office) attempt to pay with a check, only to find they cannot make payment and are consequently dropped from their classes.

Dennis Boyd, senior vice president of Administration and Finance, said that mistakes will happen in the beginning.

"We're in a period of transition. I'm not saying that everything is perfect. But people must read their fee bills. It is stated very clearly if there is a stop on the account," said Boyd.

Some students and faculty think the sweep of policies is too strict and too broad.

Coy Wheeler, speaker of the Students' Association, wrote a letter to Boyd and Judy Viebig, interim director of Finance and Accounting, which states his concern on the "seemingly overzealous enforcement of current policies."

"The problem wasn't the check-writing, it was the collection process. The majority of us didn't write 14 hot checks, or owe the university $10,000. It's ridiculous to allow someone to owe that much in the first place," said Wheeler.

"I think it's like throwing the baby out with the bath water. To punish us all by taking away that privilege (check-writing) is unfair," Wheeler added.

Dean of Students William Munson said the policies may be too general.

"My concern is that we're painting students with one broad brush and not taking time to look at individual cases. I think there are students who have gotten caught in the policies, and that's unfortunate," said Munson, "because some students have made honest mistakes."

"There has been enough concern expressed by students that I think this policy will be revisited," said Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs.

"We could have someone who is able to see students, who's accessible and customer friendly," Lee said.

Many students complain that the attitude of employees is rude and unnecessarily cold.

Paul Phang, a senior biology major, said he was dropped from his classes because his payment was late but was reinstated without his consent.

"Had I not checked, I would've gotten two F's because I would've never gone to class," said Phang.

A senior theater and industrial technology major, Dorothy Olmos, said she went to class on Thursday only to find that she was dropped.

"It turns out that about six or seven hundred people were dropped accidentally because of a mistake in the computer code," said Olmos.

One international student had his employment terminated because he owed money to the university.

But because was fired, he no longer had an income and could not pay his debt.

A letter written to Lee from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, described this situation as a "catch 22."

"This policy may be a good policy for a lot of students, but not for international students. The policy may mean fewer international students will be enrolled for the fall semester. The university may be shooting itself in the proverbial foot on this one," the letter said.

Munson said students could be treated in a better manner.

"We can advocate more flexibility and more of a personal approach, and give the students the opportunity to express their sides of the story," said Munson.

"Students should talk to their representatives, Dennis Boyd and Dr. Pickering," Munson added.

Boyd said things will improve, despite the problems students are experiencing.

"I'm sure people think it's an over-reaction. We don't believe it is. We're cleaning up bugs in the system, and in the long run, the changes will accommodate the students," said Boyd.

"I feel bad for those students who have been caught in the system, but they're changes we've had to make.

"When you're dealing with thousands of people, you either have policies or you don't. I really don't see how we can do this individually. It's nearly impossible to weed out the two or three percent who are offenders," Boyd said.

"One thing we're working hard at is to enhance an attitude of customer service downstairs. They're overworked and underpaid, but the customer's always right," said Boyd.

"We're also filling an assistant bursar's position. This person will have good interpersonal skills in problem analysis, to deal with students personally," Boyd added.

As to the attitude of some employees, Lee said, "These people are aggressive. Maybe too aggressive. If one thinks that this will be implemented in a sensitive, caring manner, think again."

SPANISH HELP COMING SOON FROM EUROPE

by Tammy Gamble

Spanish teachers from throughout Texas will have help in teaching their students beginning in October with the opening of a Spanish Resource Center at UH.

The center, a joint effort between UH and the Spanish government, will contain teaching materials and offer advice on new methods for teaching Spanish. Focusing primarily on public and private school teachers in kindergarten through 12th grade, teachers will check out books, videos and films that can be copied and used in their classrooms.

Dr. Dennis Parle, chairman of the UH Hispanic and Classical Languages Department, said UH the Spanish faculty will also be able to use the material in their classes. He also plans to discuss the possibility of broadening the program to include community colleges and universities throughout Texas.

Texas will be one of only five states to have a Spanish Resource Center, Parle said. The other four states are Florida, California, New Mexico and Illinois. All the centers are located in areas of high Spanish populations.

"The demand for Spanish classes is increasing at all levels. Many people choose Spanish as a foreign language because of the immediate practicality in Houston," Parle said.

UH was chosen in part because of the high concentration of Spanish speaking individuals in the city, Parle said. With 27 percent of the Houston population being Spanish-speaking, UH represents the attributes the Spanish government is looking for, Parle said.

Also contributing to the decision is the Spanish Consulate located in Houston, and the UH Spanish Department. Parle estimates that besides El Paso and South Texas, Houston has the highest concentration of Spanish speakers in Texas. "The department is very concerned and interested in teaching Spanish effectively both for students learning Spanish and those speaking Spanish in home environments," Parle said.

Carmen Iubio, education advisor for the Spanish Embassy, said the Spanish government is very excited about helping Spanish teachers in Texas. "We wanted to have the center in Houston because it is the best area within Texas, and we share the same feelings with UH about teaching Spanish," Iubio said.

The Spanish Ministry of Education will provide a library of books and videos; a center director; and a series of speakers, specialists and cultural events. The library will contain books for students to use, Spanish movies, major works of Spanish literature and videos on current events in Spain.

The director will be available to teachers to point them in right direction as to which materials will help them teach a specific unit. The director will publicize the center to teachers across Texas and be in charge of deciding what additional materials the teachers could use, Parle said. Teachers who cannot come to the center can have materials mailed to them.

At this point, teachers will not be charged for the materials. The center may sent one copy of a requested video to a school district and then the district could recopy it, Parle said. No copyright laws will exist on the material.

The Spanish government is funding the major portion of the center. The only cost to UH will be for housing the center and costs associated with the space such as phones and utilities. UH has also committed to providing part-time support staff through the UH work study program, Parle said.

The center will be housed in Agnes Arnold Hall probably on the fourth floor next to the language lab. It is important to have the center close to the lab, so the two can help each other, Parle said. The language lab is developing new computer technology which could be used in teaching Spanish.

Iubio said the center will work closely with the Spanish Consulate in Houston organizing efforts and events.

Parle said the greatest need of school districts across Texas is learning to teach students with different levels of Spanish proficiency. Many children of Spanish immigrants living in the United States can understand and speak the language, but they have trouble with spelling, reading and writing the language.

UH FAMILY REUNION

GAME OF CHAMPIONS BRINGS DREXLER, CHANEY HOME

For one game on Saturday, Don Chaney, Clyde Drexler, Otis Birdsong and other basketball legends will replant their Cougar roots and relive Cougar moments.

Hofheinz Pavilion, which has housed years of Southwest Conference action, offers its hardwood floors for the PowerAde Reunion of Champions game to the basketball legends at 7 p.m.

Otis Birdsong, former Cougar, NBA All-Star and the games mentor, sees the game as necessary for the University of Houston and its athletes.

"This game bridges the gap between UH and former players," Birdsong said. "A lot of them are disenchanted with UH. It gives both sides a chance to become re-acquainted."

This is the second year for the Reunion game; however, there will be some ground-breaking events.

For the first time in 10 years, all original five starters from the 1983 NCAA championship team will play together. Clyde Drexler, Alvin Franklin, Larry Micheaux, Reid Gettys and Michael Young will hit the court at the game.

New Detroit Piston coach Don Chaney will put his coaching skills on the line as captain of the red team. The Cougar red team will feature Phi Slama Jama players as well as a host of others.

Chaney, who formerly coached the Houston Rockets, participated in the first two NCAA Final Four teams in UH history.

On the other side of the court, Elvin Hayes will make his second appearance as a coach for the Reunion game

Hayes, an inductee into the Basketball Hall of Fame, led the Cougars to two straight Final Four berths in 1967 and 1968.

Hayes will coach Birdsong, Harlem Globetrotter Louis Dunbar and Dwight Davis.

"This year should really be exciting since we have more players coming back for the game," Birdsong said. "With Clyde, Hakeem, and Don at the game, it will add a lot."

One purpose of the game is to renew a sense of school pride to former and current UH students alike.

"I would like for the students at UH to know their school history," Birdsong said. "They need to know more than athletic history, but the history of the school."

Another purpose of the game is to benefit the UH All Sport Scholarship Fund. This year 65 percent of the proceeds will go directly to the fund. Last year the Reunion game raised more than $12,000 for the scholarship fund.

Even though the second Reunion game has yet to begin, Birdsong has plans for 1994.

"As long as players come back it can grow and get bigger and bigger," Birdsong said. "This game can really be special and affect school spirit. It can give students a chance to see athletes they had only heard about."

SAM JEFFERSON'S TRAVELS LEAD GOLD MEDALIST TO WORLD GAMES

Within the past seven months, Samuel Jefferson has traveled about as far as the average American would travel in a lifetime.

But he has run even faster.

With the summer winding down, Jefferson is the first to admit that he may need to do the same.

He is preparing for probably his last track and field meet of the year, which will take place at the World Championship Games in Germany Aug. 14-22.

"I haven't had a lot of rest this season and I think that that is really starting to take an effect on my ability to run," Jefferson says.

Having just returned on Monday from a successful trip to Buffalo, N.Y. at the World University Games, in which Jefferson won a gold and a silver medal, the World Championships will more than likely mark the end of a long, yet highly successful, road of hard work and competition.

"It is very important that I get my desired rest in order to keep my body in shape and not hurt my chances of being successful next season," Jefferson says.

Jefferson knows that when he is on that track, he still has a job to do and must run straight through even when he is tired.

"I still have to go out and run and make my body do the technically correct things necessary for me to run fast," he says.

Judging by his recent showings, one would think that Jefferson looks anything but fatigued.

His gold medal in Buffalo was won when Jefferson's 4X400 relay team ran a time of 38.65 in the event. His silver medal was awarded after an impressive time of 10.13 in the 100-meter run.

"Though I am still running consistently, I know that I can definitely run faster," Jefferson says.

Jefferson's trip to Germany marks the second time he has been to Europe.

"I did some running in Sweden, France and Scotland while I was up there last," he said.

Jefferson adds that Germany should be very familiar since he lived there for a few years.

"I'm looking forward to going back, even though I'll be trying to get in as much rest as possible when I am not competing," he says.

If he doesn't come back with yet another prize to add to his already overcrowded trophy case, it won't matter.

The real gold medal is in his heart. And everyone knows that a heart of gold never grows tired.