NEWSLINE

Student Dies

Alvin Oliver Carley, 36, president and founder of the University Space Society at UH, died July 16 of a brain aneurysm.

Carley was a senior computer science major and assistant editor for the national newsletter, Journal for Space Development.

He sat on the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space national board and established high school SEDS chapters in Houston.

Carley is survived by his father and brother, Clifford, a recent UH graduate.

Donations to the two memorial projects created by the Houston Space Society--the "Alvin Oliver Carley Library" and the "Alvin Oliver Carley Memorial Scholarship" can be mailed to:

Houston Space Society

P.O. Box 266151

Houston, TX. 77207-6151

Employee debt

On June 30, 1993, President James Pickering approved a new policy to be effective immediately aimed at delinquent debt owed to the university by its employees.

The Employee Financial Responsibility policy requires all university employees to satisfy all financial obligations, including payments, fines or citations owed to the university, or returned checks, or be subject to sanctions.

Sanctions include ineligibility for campus parking stickers, awards, promotions or financial benefit, loss of check writing privileges, possible referral for prosecution and disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Also, university debtors (students in particular) will not be approved for employment by the university.

The policy also states that all employees are responsible for timely submission of address changes to avoid non-receipt of billings.

Payments for parking stickers must be made in full, prior to application for the fall semester. In certain cases, a payment plan may be arranged only after all checks are cleared.

Schedule Reminders

Today is the last day to drop a class or withdraw for Summer IV. Regular registration for fall is August 2-3, from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.

*******************************************************

NEW MODEL ARMY WAGES WAR AGAINST APATHY

by Manuel Esparza

Whiners, who needs them? Armed only with the ability to complain, they attack all that doesn't please them (read everything), and even invent reasons to be unhappy.

Bands with a 'social conscience' are whiners (the microphone is the perfect medium to harangue from) who think that their three minute song will change the world. Fortunately there are some bands that transcend this banal posturing and actually have something useful to say.

New Model Army has for years stormed across Britain amassing caravans of fans whose loyalty prompted the band to sell season passes to their tours.

NMA's popularity in their native England is no surprise. Their fury was fermented by the system that formed them and is focused on that system's results. Each critique they voice echoes the emotions of the disenfranchised, the disenchanted, the disinterested, and the disturbed. All the while the feeling is that this trio of traveling troubadours understands because each one has been there.

Releasing their fifth full album, <I> The Love Of Hopeless Causes<P> , the Army has come close to redefining themselves. Almost completely divorcing from their punk roots, NMA has softened their sound but not the lyrics. Gone are the songs with a sense of calamity replaced by ones with a sobering air that life isn't going to get any better.

Whether the change is due to the band's maturity or desire to expand musically, it is a positive change that should broaden their appeal. Now the music is smoother and more full.

Fortunately the divorce isn't complete, otherwise the song "Here Comes The War" would have ended up in B-side oblivion. From its militaristic march meter to Justin Sullivan's impassioned singing, the song impacts like a bowling ball into the pins. The weight of the words "You scream 'give us liberty or give us death.' Now you've got both. What do want next?" balance the idealistic notion of the just and noble of cause, with the finality of sacrifice.

NMA can narrow the scope of their rage and channel it down to a breach in the levy of establishment, rushing through with the unrelenting pressure of injustice.

Sullivan often writes in first person or as if the song were about close friends. This personalization makes the songs seem more real than mere words, and he can do this either in a ballad or in a song ringing with power.

"Fate" and "Believe It" recount the frustration of unfulfilled dreams. Mellow and even in pace, "Fate" has a folk song feel to it with just enough 'oomph' to let it rock, while "Believe It" crescendos with restrained anger.

The masterful song "My People" pulls together music, words, samples and singing into a pulse raising, lump in the throat, motivating call to arms. Again Sullivan uses his singing talents as a guide through the emotional song.

The repeating of "My people right or wrong" with such frequency serves to push unity. His strong North England Jordy accent adds to the sense of unity among the proles.

As if this song weren't strong enough, there is the sampling of the crowd in Prague, November 1989. The recording isn't just a mob chanting for human rights, but it is the sound of liberty being birthed. Powerful stuff.

Not quite as strong, but also very good is the ballad "Living In The Rose." Very subdued and understated, there is still that sense of impotence in controlling fate. Melodies sway as gently as ocean waves. In dynamic contrast are the drum rhythms, pounding in a slow march. Uniting these two are Sullivan's gentle vocals. Slightly breathy but soothing, he pulls off making the song dreamy.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts in <I>The Love Of Hopeless Causes<P> . But there is really no aim to make one aspect stand above the rest. This collective attitude makes this album very unique. All of the players in NMA have huge reserves of talent.

Let the others whine; let New Model Army make great albums.

ALTERNAWHAT?

LOLLAPALOOZA '93 IS FAR FROM CUTTING EDGE

by Rebecca McPhail

Sound Advice

Break out the temporary tattoos and clip on the nose rings, it's Lollapalooza '93 - where everyone can be alternative for a day!

Mingle with the mohawks and sip a smart drink, kid, you deserve it. While thousands of your peers were engaging in mindless activities at home (or worse yet, at the mall) you rebelled. Shirking the constricting reigns of society, you forked over $28.50 for a ticket, grubbied up your best pair of Gap shorts and buzzed the new Camero straight down to Baytown for a slice of counter-culture heaven.

What's the matter, kid? Too crowded for you? The scent of patchouli overwhelming you in these close confines? Seems about 35,000 of your closest friends had the same idea.

Welcome to the 90s. Conformity may be cheap, but non-conformity is going wholesale these days. Who doesn't own a flannel shirt? Heck, my grandma's thinking about getting a nose ring.

I suspect the true non-conformists will be spending Saturday listening to the Oak Ridge Boys in their Cadillac on the way to McDonald's for a cheeseburger.

Thursday

<I>12 Steps to a More Dysfunctional You<P> at Curtains

3722 Washington Ave.

Rob Nash's one-man comedy flies back into town for a two-evening benefit. Proceeds from the shows will be used to take the show to Edinburgh, Scotland, to participate in the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Shows are at 8 p.m. Thursday and 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 1. For more information call 862-4548.

Friday

Lollapalooza

Houston Raceway Park

Is there anything else that needs to be said? Gates open at noon. For ticket information call 629-3700.

Ongoing

<I>The Attitude Club<P> at Main Street Theater

2540 Times Blvd.

Marianne Pendino stars in this one-woman spoof of 12-step programs. The play runs through Aug.14 and shows on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. For more information call the theater at 524-6706.

Eyeopeners Tour at the Orange Show

2401 Munger St.

Register now for your spot on either the "Classic Tour" or the "Places of Worship/Places of Rest Tour III." The "Classic Tour" visits such Houston favorites as the Beer Can House and the Flower Man's House. "Places of Worship" investigates the city's culturally diverse worship spaces. Both tours take place on Aug. 22. Call 926-6368 for more information.

PEOPLE BUILDING ENVIRONMENT-FRIENDLY HOMES

by Rafe Wooley

Imagine building a new home with bails of hay or saving rain water to take a bath.

Or using solar energy instead of electricity and having a wood stove for cooking and heating.

According to LaVerne Williams, president of a local architecture firm called Environment Associates, this may be the blueprint for homes in the future.

Williams says a few homes like these are already being built today, usually in areas outside larger cities where building codes are strictly enforced.

"We will be building and living in more environmentally responsible homes inside the city," he says. "It's just a matter of time."

Williams and his associates practice "sustainable architecture." Sustainable architecture is a type of structural design intended to leave the earth in a better environmental state than it is today "so that what we're building today doesn't penalize future generations," he says.

Williams is also a member of the Citizens of Environmental Organization, a coalition of environmental groups.

These groups work together in an effort to make the public aware of their environmental responsibilities.

The Environmental Awareness Group, a UH organization, is trying to promote these responsibilities to students and faculty.

Geoff Wheeler, a senior architecture major and founder of the group, says they try to offer solutions to environmental problems rather than telling people what the problem is.

Solutions are offered in their "Message of the Week" program. Some of their messages include where and how to recycle, choosing products that have minimal packaging, using organic fertilizers, and keeping cars tuned-up and tires inflated in order to conserve on gas consumption.

"We give them simple things they can do that could have a great impact on the environment," Wheeler says.

The group is also involved in the Waste Reduction Committee, which was formed in response to Governor Ann Richards' mandate that waste be reduced in state government buildings. Currently, members of the College of Architecture and the Ezekiel Cullen Building are the only participants on campus.

"Hopefully, by next year, we can get the entire campus involved," Wheeler says.

But according to Williams, although recycling is a good idea, it's not going to solve the current environmental problems.

"Recycling is not the answer," Williams says. "We've got to cut down on our consumption and trash production."

EAG President Janis Abel says people should visit a landfill if they want a true perspective on how much trash people produce.

"Sometimes shock value is a motivating force to get people to act," Abel says.

Wheeler says most students at UH are apathetic about the environment.

But if the homes of the future have no running water or electricity, people altering their lifestyles in order to preserve the earth and its resources may find the future less bleak.

UH AT FOREFRONT OF SPACE RACE

by Kristine Fahrenholz

UH is fueling up for the future of space exploration and may soon be ready for takeoff.

With the Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center, the Sasakawa International Center of Space Architecture and the University Space Society, UH is focusing in on the future of space.

SVEC's special project, the Wake Shield Facility, will be ready for takeoff on the space shuttle in November.

The Wake Shield Facility is a free-flying object that will be extended from the arm of the shuttle.

The main objective of the mission is to grow ultra pure, thin film materials in the almost perfect vacuum of space.

If the experiment is successful, computers could become supercomputers with machines running eight times faster, said Alex Ignatiev, the director of the SVEC.

SISCA, part of the College of Architecture, is instrumental in the development of various organizations and corporations.

SISCA began in 1987 when the College of Architecture received a $3 million gift from Ryoichi Sasakawa, chairman of the Japan Shipbuilding Industry Foundation.

One organization developed in 1991 by SISCA Director Larry Bell is the International Design for Extreme Environment Association.

"IDEEA is a diversified phenomenon that networks organizations to bring together countries with the interest of solving environmental problems," Bell said.

And it has turned its focus to environmental extremes like space, underwater, polar regions and disaster areas.

"It is hard to duplicate this area (Houston) where opportu-nities lie," Bell said. "Here we have the space industry, the Gulf of Mexico and a hurricane area where disasters occur."

The Extreme Environments Architecture and Management Institute, recently organized, is a co-venture of SISCA and the College of Business Administration.

"TEEAMI is a plan to bring networking into the university and to build interdiscliplinary cooperation on campus," Bell said.

"Solving technical problems is the smallest part of the challenge, but really creating cultural and political understanding is what makes technology useful or irrelevant," he said.

Another project in the making is an outreach program with schools.

A school district in El Paso is being looked at for the development of the project that will enable students to plan their own space shuttle simulations.

Bell, who is also co-founder of Space Industries International, which was conceived at UH, is working closely with the heads of the Russian Space Agency hoping to combine assets for future space exploration.

Bell said that he doesn't think the U.S. will go back to the moon on a manned flight.

"There is a much better prospect that we might go to Mars," he said.

"It's more of a political agenda than a scientific agenda. If we work with the Russians to combine assets and realize technological benefits, then such a mission would have important scientific benefits, but the public wouldn't be sold on scientific benefits, rather more on the international and economic benefits of such an action," said Bell.

SISCA's permanent exhibit of space stations is at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

The University Space Society was organized for students interested in space.

Alvin Carley, was president of USS until he passed away July 16 of a brain aneurysm.

"USS is a combination astronomy/space settlement organization," said Richard Braastad, a graduate student in economics.

"During the fall and spring semesters, USS erects a telescope on a weekly basis on the University Center patio," he said.

"USS and the Houston Space Society co-sponsor monthly meetings in the Transco Tower," Braastad added.

TA'S IN JEOPARDY WITH NEW PLAN

While more than half of UH graduate students pay for their education by teaching undergraduate courses, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is thinking about cutting funds in colleges where too many classes are being taught by teaching assistants.

Even though performance funding, an attempt by Austin legislators to make UH live up to academic standards for money, failed in the last legislative session, it seems to be rearing its head again a year and a half before the new one begins.

One of the performance standards in the past was that students graduate at a quicker pace. This was a goal that would have been hard for UH to meet, due to the high rate of older, working and part-time students. One of the performance measures this time would be how many tenured professors are actually standing in front of classrooms.

"There is a rider on the last higher education bill that says that the Coordinating Board should review formula funding. There should be a higher rate of funding for institutions who have more tenured teachers as opposed to grad students teaching, but we're not saying don't use any grad students at all," said Janis Monger, director of governmental relations and public information for THECB.

Monger believes that some legislators may back the bill because their constituents have children in school who are complaining.

Graduate students at UH make up one third of the total population and more than half of those students pay their tuition by getting teaching fellowships.

"I certainly wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the teaching fellowship. Besides that, secondary education is bad," said Julie Walker, a graduate student who teaches algebra. "Students don't come here knowing what they should. UH doesn't have manpower in tenured teachers to teach every algebra class," she said.

Walker also said she plans to be a teacher in the future. She feels the fellowship is good training.

Some undergraduate students do not always like being taught by teacher assistants.

"I don't know what kind of training they go through, but I don't want to be somebody's guinea pig," said Jodi White, a junior in psychology. "I have had some really good experiences with grad students, but I have also had some really lousy ones. I have one now who does not know how to teach. Maybe they should be more monitored," she said.

Formula funding, a method legislators use to decide how to fund universities by determining how many semester hours are taught in each college per semester, worries UH executives. They fear the funding could start to be based on not only on hours taught, but also how many tenured professors are available to teach.

Formula funding commonly decides money allocation for all universities, without looking at the individual needs of each individual institution. Because of the high number of graduate studentes UH has, it could be hit harder in losses than any other university in the state.

"Our mission as an institution is research. We are one third graduate students and we can't afford to hurt that group of people. The legislators have to recognize our goals. We have a year and a half to change their thinking," said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning and executive associate to the president.

Szilagyi said UH's new legislative team will keep in close touch with legislators about the issue.

PHONE IN FOR SPRING ADD/DROP

by Heather Wolk

While UH has promised the luxury of telephone registration for years, it may finally be a reality at the end of this year.

Phone registration is slated to be available in December for spring '94 priority add/drop, Ernst Leiss of the Core and Degree Requirements Committee told the Undergraduate Council meeting on Wednesday.

If this technological advancement is implemented, UH will finally join the ranks of other state universities with phone registration such as UT and Texas A&M, allowing students to avoid long lines and endless frustration during registration.

The phone system will allow students to register by calling a mainframe computer and accessing the system using their social security numbers.

Once the students are identified, they can dial the course and section numbers of classes they want to enroll in.

If the classes are full, the computer will say so, and the students can try again.

A&M incorporated phone registration in the summer of '86, said A&M Registrar Donald Carter.

"We tried it out with our pre-registration for freshman, then we brought it in full-swing in the fall of '86.

"We were one of the first major universities to do this. Brigham Young was the first," said Carter.

UT began phone registration in the fall of '90.

Assistant Registrar Michele Spreen said they have not had problems with the new system.

"Getting people used to using a new system was a small problem, I guess. But with 50,000 students, it was really a godsend," said Spreen.

Committees at UH have been reviewing the project with much deliberation since it was suggested in 1983.

Since then, funding or a lack of consensus has always hindered the development of a phone registration system at UH.

In 1991, administrators had no date set for the new system.

In the fall of '92, the plan was to install a 96-line system as a base model, without added applications, such as the option to inquire about grades or financial aid over the phone.

The cost in '92 was estimated at $250,000 to $400,000, not including the phone lines.

The wheels began turning, and it looked as if UH would finally be blessed with phone registration in '92.

Wrong.

Once again, students were told,"Next semester."

Registrar Mario Lucchesi said that one of the prerequisites was the conversion of the computer system, which has been completed.

"We have converted to the new system, an on-line integrated system, which enables us to bring in new technologies," said Lucchesi.

"Phone registration will turn the telephone into a terminal, so to speak. Students will be able to inquire about grades, financial and admission status, we hope," Lucchesi added.

Dennis Boyd, senior vice president of Administration and Finance, said phone registration is part of the plan to better accommodate the students.

"The plan is to have it for the spring semester, where there will be telephone add/drop (priority). Then in the fall ('94), we'll go ahead and do registration by phone," said Boyd.

"It can only do positive things," said Lucchesi. "We're very excited about it. As far as I know, there will be no charge to the students," he added.

Lucchesi said more testing must be done before the plan is publicized as being final.

CLASSY REUNION

FORMER COUGAR GREATS STRUT THEIR BASKETBALL STUFF

by James Alexander

Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler and many other former Cougar basketball standouts made a flying effort Saturday night to bring back UH's winning tradition to Hofheinz Pavilion.

Not only did the legends give a history lesson in Cougar basketball at the second annual UH Reunion of Champions game, but they were able to reunite with fellow teammates.

The most famous fraternity, Phi Slama Jama, made three straight final four and two championship game appearances in the early 80s and had many of its players return for the game.

Four of the starting five (Michael Young, Larry Micheaux, Olajuwon and Drexler) for the 1982-83 season started for the red team and were coached by 60s alumnus and new head coach of the Detroit Pistons Don Chaney.

"I never dreamed that I would be reunited with these guys," Olajuwon said.

"I think it's a great event and it definitely brings back some old memories," said Young, the former Phi Slama Jama guard.

Drexler was the first player to pop the net in Saturday's game and it gave his red team the early lead, which they held throughout the first half.

Retired NBA star Otis Birdsong, who is the founder of the Reunion game, was on the white team.

His teammates included recent UH graduate Derrick Smith, Phi Slama Jama member and current NBA player Greg Anderson and Harlem Globetrotter Louis Dunbar.

"We are hoping that an event like this will get the people interested in Cougar basketball again," Dunbar said.

Dunbar throughout the game gave the fans and players a taste of Globetrotter tactics like short-pulling, the stopping of plays with the game buzzer and he later squirted the address announcer with a water gun. Dunbar then grabbed the mike and said, "At least it wasn't no drive-by-shooting."

Guy V. Lewis, who played on UH's first team in 1946, was on hand to see many of the players who played for him during his 30 year coaching span at UH.

"We started out winning in '46 and we just kept on winning. We have a lot of faith in new head coach Alvin Brooks and I feel an event like this is a good springboard for him in getting the program back in the right direction," Lewis said.

In the second half Smith, who led the team with 23 points and 60's player Jack Thompson who was 5-for-5 from 3-point land, rallied the white team as they took the lead for good to produce a final score of 113-102.

The crowd of 4,257 got to see one of Lewis' former teammate Larry Hogue, who despite being in his 60s can still run the court, made one of two free throws.

Drexler, who was the game's high scorer with 25, made a valiant effort in the second half to regain the lead for the red squad. Through one of his flying dunks he showed everyone in the building why he was nicknamed 'Clyde the Glide.'

Drexler and Chaney both agree that it was a different regime during the Lewis era.

"I was one of the first blacks who Lewis brought into the school. Although there was a little tension for me, there was such a great enthusiasm for the game," Chaney said.

"I'd like to see UH get it back."

GAME REVITALIZES B-BALL PROGRAM

The second annual UH Reunion of Champions game held Saturday night at Hofheinz Pavilion was a chance for fans and former players and coaches alike to rekindle past glories and renew old acquaintances.

It also served as a forum of ideas for bringing back these past glories to rebuild the Cougar basketball program under new coach Alvin Brooks.

"It's nice for a new coach to come in with an event like this," legendary UH coach Guy Lewis said. "This is a good springboard for the future of Cougar basketball."

Lewis also said that he believes Brooks will do an outstanding job if he can recruit well and bring "exciting basketball" back to Hofheinz.

Many ex-players agree with their former coach on Brooks' ability to put the program back on its feet.

"Alvin is a good coach and he'll bring some needed enthusiasm back to the program," said Clyde Drexler, an ex-Cougar and Portland Trailblazers superstar.

"He needs an adjustment period but after that he'll be a great coach," former UH and Milwaukee Bucks star Greg Anderson said. "He knows all the players in the inner city and he can bring them back."

The consensus among those involved in the game is that UH must bring back the inner city recruits which were missing from recent Cougar teams.

"They need a lot of local recruiting," Cougar alumnus and Harlem Globetrotter Louis Dunbar said. "There's so much talent coming out of Houston and going to other places."

Many Cougar alumni are hoping that a renewed dedication to inner-city recruiting will bring back the tradition of Cougar basketball that many of Saturday night's players started.

UH great and former Rockets head coach Don Chaney believes events like the reunion game are a step in the right direction.

"It renews enthusiasm. We're trying to get the school, reputation and interest wise, back to the level where it was years ago,"Chaney said. "The only way to do this is to get some of the alumni and famous faces to come back and support the school."

Chaney was quick to commend the many famous alumni, including Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon, who were able to find time for the event.

"Tradition is what's missing. We have to bring that back,"Chaney said. "These players really help in that area."

According to Dunbar, an even more important aspect that is missing is fans to fill the seats at Hofheinz.

"We gotta get 'em back supporting the University of Houston," Dunbar said. "There are schools all around the country with programs not as good as UH but they're packing their buildings. We gotta start packing Hofheinz again."

If Brooks can find players as talented as those who crossed the hardwood at Hofheinz Saturday night, filling the seats again should not be a problem.