NO IDLE SOUNDS IN BILLY'S NEW TECHNO TRACKS

by Manuel Esparza

What is Billy Idol up to? Has he gone mad, or is his cleverness under rated? Something is definitely afoot in <I>Cyberpunk<P> , but what?

Could it be related to the album's name <I>Cyberpunk<P>, a term that connotes computer hooligans hacking Defense Department computers and ruining people's credit ratings for kicks. Idol, who spent his punk years with Generation X, has always been a fan of hi-tech. The term also encompasses the uniting of leading edge technology with subculture art and music.

Using a home studio and a Macintosh computer, Idol and guitarist Mark Younger-Smith, bassist Doug Wimbish, drummer Tal Bergman, and producer Robin Hancock did just that.

Although <I>Cyberpunk<P> was hi-jacked by hi-tech, Idol and friends don't really trod on new ground. Ex Gen X'er Tony James did something similar with the band Sigue Sigue Sputnik in the mid 1980s -- complete with samples, snippets and soundbytes in between each track.

While James wanted to sound like Elvis 2000, Idol came closer. Where the album is fresh is in the use of Roland Sound Space recording techniques that really make the disk come alive on headphones. As hard as it is to believe, the sounds do come from different and impossible angles.

The musical tack taken here is more pop path than anything else he's done. Though there is a drummer credited, the beats sound as if they were done on a machine. The songs are all long, geared toward the dance club scene with many of them being distended and dragging.

There is a beacon of great song construction deep in the album, "Shangrila". Sitars and cymbals and tinny tambourines weave around as a snake mesmerized by a charmer.

There must be a clue somewhere. Possibly buried in the cryptic lyrics is a hint, but not likely. His "Shock To the System" was supposedly inspired by the LA riots - who would have guessed? Idol may make more sense than a monkey pounding away on a typewriter, but just barely. On the plus side, the short shallow phrases punctuated by the occasional howl do make it easier to sing along.

Whatever the snarling one lacks as a lyricist is obscured by his vocal talents.

Idol is a singer not a vocalist, unlike so many of his contemporaries who scream or slur to hide their flaws. His voice is clear enough that a lyric sheet is necessary to decipher what he means, not what he says.

Very few people can pull off ballads and boomers without exceeding their range or sounding forced. Idol's singing tone slips from silk to sand at will, each one sounding natural.

The main problem with <I>Cyberpunk<P> is that Idol tried to adapt the same techniques to each song. Predictably, it doesn't always work. Is Idol only up to making a good album, or is he really after something else?

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Car thefts top list

Despite the lazy summer heat, campus crime has kept its momentum going.

Four car thefts, a case of indecent exposure, and an assault on a faculty member have all been reported since the beginning of summer session IV, according to the University of Houston Police Department.

•Cars were stolen from lots 19B, 15D, 19A, and 12A since July 19. Only one of the vehicles has since been recovered.

•A faculty member was assaulted by a student in S&R I on July 19. A possible forged document is involved.

•On the same day, a student observed someone exposing themselves in lot 6A.

•On July 20, a juvenile visitor was arrested for being in possession of a hand gun. The youth was later released to his guardian.

•On July 21, a visitor was arrested in the UC bookstore for attempting to resell a stolen book.

Affirmative action

UH's Office of Affirmative Action is hosting a panel and audience discussion on gender discrimination in female professions. Panel members will discuss wage, promotion and behavioral issues.

Scheduled speakers include Dr. Abigail Hubbard of the College of Business Admin-istration; Sandra Posada of the Graduate School of Social Work; and Dr. Janet Chafetz of the College of Social Sciences.

Two sessions are scheduled in the M.D. Anderson Library Brown Room. The first is from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The second is from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Harriet Joan Ehrlich, the district director of the Houston district Equal Employment Oppor-tunity Commission, will moderate the morning discussion. UH's Dr. Cynthia Freeland, the director of Women Studies and associate professor of philosophy, will moderate the afternoon session.

Schedule Reminders

Today is the last day to drop a class or withdraw without receiving a grade.

Monday, August 9 is the last day to drop a class or withdraw for Summer IV. Regular registration for fall is August 2-3, from 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.

The last day of class for Summer IV is August 18. Finals are August 19-20.

CONEHEADS LEAVE LAND OF RERUNS, ORBIT EARTH IN BIG BUDGET FILM

by Rebecca McPhail

Hard to believe not too long ago people had given <I>Saturday Night Live<P> up for dead.

After a couple solid seasons and the surprise smash of last year's <I>Wayne's World<P>, <I>SNL<P> and its cast can seemingly do no wrong.

Hoping this magic will transcend seasons, <I>SNL<P> executive producer, Lorne Michaels, has rounded up some of the show's earliest alumni (Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin), plopped cones atop their heads and readied for a shot at box office gold.

It would be easy to dismiss this venture - a 15-year-old premise performed by a pair of less than stellar actors - as a cheap ploy to cash in on the <I>SNL<P> name.

There's one small problem with that theory - the movie works! The writing is clever, the chemistry between Akroyd and Curtain is perfect and the cast (peppered with a healthy dose of both <I>SNL<P> and <I>Seinfeld<P> regulars) gives the movie a warm feeling of camaraderie.

The movie begins with Beldar (Akroyd) and Prymaat's (Curtain) thwarted attempt to take over Earth. After their ship crashes, the pair learns they must attempt to blend in with the earthlings while they await a rescue ship from the home planet.

The two settle into a trailer home with Beldar taking on several jobs to make ends meet, and Prymaat preparing for the birth of her "little cone," Connie. All is not well, however. In an attempt to conceal their alien status and make a living, Beldar uses underground methods to obtain a social security number. This move sets the government on their trail.

Although frequent run-ins with Immigration and Naturalization Services form the basis of the film's plot, most of the laughter is found elsewhere. The sight gags, food-eating sequences and the peculiar fact that no one seems to notice their greatly elongated heads make up much of the film's humor.

The years have been kind to the Coneheads. Both Akroyd and Curtain bring a new maturity to their characters, not to mention the fact they actually look like parents now. All one has to do is watch "parental unit" Beldar lament as he loses control over his daughter, and it becomes obvious Akroyd is now, himself, a father.

<I>Coneheads<P> is an old friend found after years apart. It's easy to pick up right where you left off, even after all these years.

ORIENTEES GET ACQUAINTED WITH HELP OF ELDER

by Parul Shah

During the summer months, the University of Houston campus has been visited by 5,000 curious students.

A multitude of student helpers in red and white uniforms are stationed at various posts.

Orientation gives incoming freshmen and transfer students a chance to not only register for fall classes but also to get an individualized introduction to the campus and other students.

The members of the "O-team" conduct the introduction. The team members serve as peer counselors. Formed in 1984, the team consists of 30 students.

Assistant Dean of Students Kamran Riaz, a six-year veteran of the O-team, says the organization is a "training ground for university staff. Three former leaders now have jobs as admissions counselors and college advisors."

At the University Center, everything seems calm and quiet on the outside, but there is a flurry of activity inside. The day begins as the incoming students check in with the orientation registration area and use their spare time to find their meeting rooms and meet students.

Meanwhile, the orientation leaders, in their snug Nikes and Reeboks, prepare forms and packets, give specific directions for parking, maneuver orientees around the UC, answer a hotline, hang up signs, fill out name tags, manage to breathe evenly and most importantly, maintain a pleasant atmosphere.

In the small group meetings, the students are given a brief overview of the campus and made aware of the orientation packet that contains information of the variety of services provided. The class schedule and catalogue are explained.

The expected questions about scheduling and registration range from, "If I take 15 hours of classes, study two hours per class, work 20 hours off-campus and commute from home, will I have time for a social life?" to "Does UH have phone registration?

As soon as the questions fade, there are about 10 minutes left before a talk by the president. Icebreakers during this time can range from untying a "human knot," which is a bunch of people's arms tangled together, to a bingo game where people scramble to find a person that matches one of 20 descriptions.

Not long after the last brownie is savored during lunch, the orientees meet with their prospective college representatives to learn about their intended field of study.

"Helping new students and spending time with them gives me a sense of returning something back to the university," says O-team leader Chris Kelley.

To energize and initiate the students into the Cougar spirit, the O-team leads the throng of students to sing the UH fight song and the Alma Mater.

Students get a chance to be themselves in front of the camera as they pose for identification cards and do last minute errands, savor a final campus tour, enjoy informative seminars or lounge in front of the Houston Room ticket booth before it is time to pick up their cards.

At 5:00 p.m., the halls of the UC sound empty. Freshmen rush home to enjoy the remaining days of summer.

However, there is a group of about 30 people in "Houston Cougars" baseball T-shirts relaxing on the sofas in front of the O-team help booth.

They reflect on what went well and what could be improved and then call it a night.

That is, until next week's orientation.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IN CATCH-22 IF THEY OWE MONEY BUT CAN'T WORK

by Heather Wolk

Most students at UH have the luxury of calling home to mom and dad to ask for money to buy books. Imagine if your home was Cairo.

International students continue to experience the financial difficulties that come with studying abroad.

An international or foreign student is a student from another country who does not have a permanent address, or who is an immigrant, said Jack Burke, director of International Student and Scholar Services.

Of the 2,199 foreign students enrolled in fall '92, most of the problems came in the area of finances, said Burke.

Burke said there are several reasons for the international students' hardships.

"First is the tuition they have to pay. Out-of-state tuition is $162 per credit hour. With the economy the way it is, it's tough to pay out-of-state tuition," said Burke.

"Second is that there is not an opportunity for these students to work off-campus. And on-campus jobs don't pay as much," Burke added.

Another problem for international students, said Burke, is that they are not eligible for work-study programs. Only U.S. citizens are eligible.

"It's also hard for foreign students to get authorization to transfer their money into U.S. dollars. All of these things attribute to financial problems," said Burke.

"I think that if there were more grant money available, and if there were more ways to qualify for resident tuition, it would help.

"Most people don't realize that the majority of international students are supported privately, by their families. Less than five percent are supported by the U.S. or foreign government," said Burke.

One international student was fired from his on-campus job because he was indebted to the university.

However, since he could not work, he could not pay his debt.

In a letter to Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs, Burke described this student's situation as a "catch 22."

"If a student can't work, he can't pay his bills to the university. This policy may be a good policy for a lot of students, but not for international students. The policy may mean fewer international students will be enrolled for the fall semester. The university may be shooting itself in the proverbial foot on this one," said Burke.

"International students will be affected (by the newly enforced debt-collection policies) because they often cannot work anywhere but on campus," said Lee.

"In addition to the general restrictions placed on students, (international students) have additional worries," said Lee.

"I would hope that there would be exceptions, and that there would be allowances for special circumstances," said Burke.

The International Student and Scholar Services Program provides services ranging from counseling and academic advisement to periodic workshops on job training.

The program also provides tickets to special events donated by the community throughout the year.

CREATIVE WRITING ON THE WALL; GRAFFITI ARTISTS HOLD EXHIBIT

Some call it creative vandalism or a convenient index to urban life.

The artists call it graffiti.

Bombers, Burners, Scribbles & Tags–an exhibit that features the work of eight local artists who have wielded cans of spray paint–is predicated on the theme of graffiti artist as a documenter of socialization and life-altering experiences. REF Studios, located at 1305 Fairview, houses the exhibit.

"Down Wit Da Underground," a painting by Gonzo, is noteworthy for its humor and the use of contrast to illustrate how the artist, a duck wearing a yellow jersey and his hat to the back, views his subject – a sprawling metropolis.

Kid Styles addresses subjects of random violence, promiscuity and legalization of marijuana in his works.

His "Edge of Sanity" makes a profound statement on the scourge of gun wars. For those literalists who believe there is a point in physical reality where a person devalues the life of another, Kid Styles is their man. One person whose bloodshot eyes are contrasted with teeth white as pearls decapitates his victim by manner of gunshots. The victim and perpetrator are poised not only on the edge of sanity, but near oblivion. Another young man, near the puddle of blood, prevents a fall by placing a knife near the edge.

Kid Styles shows his lighter side in "70's Flavour," a work that features a wild exhibitionist modeling a scarlet red platform shoes from a flashback show and a leopard print duster. A rabbit, dressed to the nines, also appears in the mixed media work.

One artist seems to have been inspired by Jackson Pollock. Most, however, are inspired by life. And the can. The artists do not seem to owe allegiance to any one particular artist.

Curator Abe Royster, whose moniker is Briejock, brought together artists who generally use walls as their canvas. The featured works, with the exception of the piece dé résistance, are rendered on canvases used traditionally for oil, watercolor and acrylic paintings. In "Funky, Dope and Crazy," Briejock painted a creature that has a purple head, 36 blue eyes and a red nose.

"Rollin' Stoned," by Shadow, illustrates the detrimental impact drugs can have. A young man with a pocket full of stones stands near gravestones. The artist used such symbols as a skeleton, bomb and glass pipe to help capture a desperate situation of a youth who smokes crack cocaine with a glass pipe.

Merge personifies a can of spray paint–that comes to life, has teeth and is ferocious in "Evil Can." His "Unfinished" is a purple bust of a female mannequin, rendered in the Op Art tradition. Black maze patterns cover the provocative work.

Most of the Hi-Tech 90210 works in the exhibit are paintings of words. His "Mediocrity" looks like a portrait of a dazed white rapper wearing a large Dr. Seuss hat and beads. The excellent flesh coloring of the face suggests the artist may have honed his craft by studying visages.

"Underground," a painting by Shadow, is a powerful work because the artist combined his note to lost youth with a startling painting of a gun-toting skeleton that holds a 40-ounce bottle of malt liquor. His subject is "Only a Teen Loadin Submachines/Takin punks out clean wit some help from his killin team . . . Stop killing!"

Other artists featured in the explosive, memorable exhibit include D'Lite, Kryme A.K.A.T.J. and Frostie Ice – the disciples of graffiti.

NEW PRICES, NEW EATERIES FOR RESIDENTS

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Campus residents will have a new meal plan that will allow them to use their money more effectively. The new system is based on the items that students purchase instead of the number of meals eaten each year.

Students will pay for the item that they purchased from now on. If they have a single soda, they will pay the posted price for the soda. For a full meal, the price will be the sum of all items.

Residents' campus connection cards will serve like a debit card as opposed to previous regulations, which valued every punch on the cards at $3.50 no matter purchase was made.

Tower and Quad residents must participate in one of the meal programs offered. If Cougar Place and Cambridge Oaks residents want to sign up for a meal plan, they should go to Oberholtzer Hall Service Center located in Oberholtzer Hall.

Students can choose from five levels of service according to their needs. The plans are platinum, gold, silver, diamond, and ruby.

Once a plan is selected, it can be upgraded to a higher plan but not reduced to a lower plan.

Prices will increase for two of the five plans.

The diamond plan's cost rose to $1275 from $1065 while the ruby plan rose to $1100 from $935 for nine months. The platinum plan will cost $50 less this year.

Prices were increased to give students enough money to use the new plan, said Tom Penett, director of Residential Life and Housing. He believes students will spend more.

Penett said complaints from students led the Residential Life and Housing to change the old meal plan. He also said meal service will be available until 10 or 11 p.m. at Moody Towers.

Ala Carte cafeteria, Blimpies Sandwich Shop, Pizza Hut,Burger Grill and Convenience Store will be available in Moody Towers. In Quadrangle a traditional "all you can eat" program will be served for fixed rates.

Students won't have to go off campus if they want something from Whataburger or Chick Fil-A. The UC will offer both.

In addition, Taco Bell will be available in the Satellite.

Residents may eat at Moody Towers, the Quad, the UC or the Satellite.

FINANCIAL AID STREAMLINES PROCEDURES

by Tammy Gamble

The next time you visit the UH Financial Aid Office, your time spent waiting for help could be cut drastically.

The department is making changes in customer service by adding new staff members, counter computer terminals and a wait-in-line service system, said Ralph Perri, financial aid counselor.

In time for the fall semester, the department is adding three new counter help positions, one counselor, one quality control person and a College of Law financial aid counselor. A new associate director and a College of Optometry financial aid counselor were added June 1.

The department is also installing two new computers and plans are being made for two more computers to be added by the fall semester. With the existing computers, this would bring the total number of computers to six, meaning six students could be helped at one time.

Associate Director Peter Bagarozzo said a new approach is being implemented in customer service to help students receive quality service. "We want students to get from us the forms and service they need to help them receive financial aid," Bagarozzo said.

The new wait-in-line system is the system used by other departments such as the Registrar's Office and the Bursar's Office.

With the old system, students would sign-in and wait until their name was called. Students who just needed a quick question answered would still have to wait for their name to be called.

The new system allows students to get answers quicker, Perri said. The system seems to be working; however, real results will not be available until more students are using the department at the beginning of the fall semester.

"This system seems to work better because students understand the line is moving and they are making progress," Perri said. In the old system, students waiting felt helpless not knowing when they would be helped, Perri said.

Bagarozzo said the department is interested in training new and current staff members customer service techniques. "We want to make the office an effective, efficient service to students," Bagarozzo said.

The new College of Optometry counselor and the proposed Law Center counselor will be more accessible to optometry and law students because the counselors will be located in these department buildings. The two counselors will help the students personally, and then send the forms to the Financial Aid Office for processing.

Cheryl Morrissette, an art education major, said with the old system it took a long time to get help. "I saw a lot of people skipping in line while I waited to be helped," Morrissette said.

The staff is much nicer now than they were when a first came in 1991, Morrissette said.

Eric Dixon, a political science major, said many times with the old system he felt like he was forgotten. Also, he said once he missed his name being called and had to re-sign his name and wait all over again. "The staff is very helpful now, and they hurry people along in line," Dixon said.

Chris Lopez, a psychology major, disagreed with Morrissette and Dixon. He liked the old system better because he didn't have to stand in line. Although he thinks the staff is nice, Lopez cannot think of a way to improve the department.

"The (office) deals with student's attitudes. Many times students come to the office and do not receive the answer they want," Lopez said. Any way you look at it, not all students will be happy and the staff is forced to deal with these upset students, Lopez said.

GREEKS WORK TO POLISH IMAGE

by Karen Neustadt

College Press Service

The day may not be far off when beer-swilling fraternities and snooty sororities are things of the past.

Greek life in America has been around for 200 years, and many say it is time to face the challenges of diversity and social responsibility.

According to Greek organizations, sororities and fraternities are enjoying a resurgence of popularity and are scrambling not just to improve their image, but to create new meaning for their organizations. The nation's Greek system has doubled to 400,000 fraternity men and 250,9000 sorority women in the past decade.

"We believe (fraternities and sororities) are still around because they've adapted to a changing environment, and there has been a lot of change on campuses in the past 10 years," said Jonathan Brant, executive vice president of the National Interfraternity Conference in Indianapolis.

For one thing, the new Greeks say they want higher standards of behavior for their organizations. After decades of charges of elitism, racism and scandals involving hazing and gang rapes, a new style of Greek organization may emerge in the '90s that is focused on social awareness and altruism rather than indulgent partying.

"It is clear through surveys that 63 percent of all students want to be involved in helping others, they want to be involved with inherently valuable organizations. Fraternities have to make service more central to activities to attract the majority of students," Brant said.

"Students today are not interested in promoting the image of a big party group," said Bruce Clemetsen, Greek adviser at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash. "They want the positive experience that a fraternity or sorority offers, but they don't necessarily want the image of being in a frat."

Today's students are more open to change than ever before, and diversity may have a long way to go, but it has a foot in the door of many sorority and fraternity houses in the United States.

Several Northeastern universities have already dropped segregated fraternities and sororities.

"We had a concern for men and women sharing leadership roles, and we saw coed social houses as a way to prepare them for those roles," said John Emerson, dean of Middlebury College. "We believe that single-gender clubs are an anachronism from the past."

The new coed social houses, where male and female students sleep in separate wings or floors, were resisted by some of the fraternities, but for the most part, have been accepted by the student body.

Most of the new coed Greek social clubs do not promote romantic relationships between "brothers" and sisters."

"They're really more like family to each other," Emerson said.

THE HEAT IS ON UH MENS BASKETBALL TEAM

GOLDWIRE SETS THE PACE IN SUMMER LEAGUE PLAY

It isn't every day that Kenny Smith and Avery Johnson show up to play a summer game of pick-up basketball.

However, nothing is too unusual for the 1993-94 Cougar basketball team that already has its sights set on the upcoming basketball season.

To prepare themselves, all but one member of the team has been involved in a summer league that plays at Houston Baptist University. The teams have games on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

The league is comprised of athletes from various Division I schools across the nation that are based in Houston during the summer months.

For Anthony Goldwire, a senior guard and self-proclaimed leader of the squad, the team that plays together now will be a better team come basketball season.

"Since the whole team is playing, it gives each player a chance to play with other players and yet we know that we will have to put it all together when the season starts," Goldwire said.

In an effort to perfect their moves off and on the court, the team was required to take summer school classes.

Coach Alvin Brooks implemented this requirement in accordance with his policy to increase the student-athlete academic success.

"A typical day for the team is for us to go to class in the morning, lift weights and then go and practice in Jep," Goldwire said.

Jeppesen Gym on the UH campus serves as a practice ground for college and professional athletes alike.

The "hotbox," as Jeppesen is affectionately called by the athletes, is not air conditioned and often reaches sweltering temperatures.

"When I play against the pro's I think that if I can play well against them that I can give 110 percent during the regular season," Goldwire said. "That is my motivation."

Hakeem Olajuwon is certainly opposition and motivation enough for anyone and can be spotted in the gym along with other professional basketball players.

All players are somewhat equal on the hardwood of the gym and are forces to be reckoned with.

"You look out on the court and see these guys who play professionally, and they look at it like it is just a game of pick-up," Goldwire said. "If you can score on Kenny Smith or if he scores on you, then it is just like OK, keep coming at me."

Other familiar faces appear on the practice floor and in the league games. Senior center from Rice Brent Scott is in the league along with a bevy of SWC players.

The league is in its final stages and the playoffs are looming before the remaining teams.

"My team has the second best record in the league and we play our first playoff game Friday," Goldwire said.

Goldwire, the fleet-footed junior college transfer from Florida, started for the Cougars in the 1992-93 season.

He averaged 14.5 points a game and was voted Southwest Conference newcomer of the year.

Goldwire is a man of many talents and when he is not busy studying or playing basketball, he can be found coiffing the locks of many of his teammates.

"I learned to cut hair in junior college, because I didn't want to pay six dollars a week to have my hair cut," Goldwire said. "I messed my hair up a couple of times, but now I am pretty good at it. Last season I cut David Diaz's hair and Darrell Grayson's too."

GYM SHORTS

Volleyball

While the Olympic torch burns bright, Cougar volleyball player Edwina Ammonds wants to shine at the 1993 Olympic Festival.

Ammonds is a native of Fresno, Calif., and was placed on the Eastern team for the festival.

The Eastern team competed in their first set of matches Tuesday, defeating the Western team 3-2.

Ammonds was a senior hitter for the Cougars in the 1992-93 season. She currently competes in track and field events, competing in the heptathalon.

Motor Cross

It isn't often that a woman's place can be found on a race track going at high speeds, but for UH student Donna Richert, it is just another day at the races.

Richert, an accounting major, won a series of motor cross events in May and has her sights set on the Texas Mini GP series August 7 - 8.

At the Texas Minis in May, Richert placed fifth in the beginners All Yam YSR50 and second in the lightweight novice division All Yam YSR50.