LOST IN LOLLA LAND

LOLLAPALOOZA SKIRTS LIVE MUSIC'S OUTER LIMITS

Lollapalooza 1993 – the event borne of Perry Farrell’s feeble mind – was everything its fans wanted and its detractors accused.

While significantly smaller than last year’s show at the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds, thousands drove to Baytown’s Houston Raceway Park – infinitely easier to find and better than ’92’s site – and braved a brutally sweltering day to check out what are purported to be alternative music’s hottest acts.

Among last year’s most endearing vignettes was upwards of 40,000 rain-soaked, mud-drenched moshers chanting back "Fuck you, Ice Cube" to their fave rapper. A 1993 dry summer put rain worries to rest and assured that, at the very least, the venue would be hot.

Lollapalooza ’93 had many highlights and disappointments. The much-touted Lollapalooza Sightings newspaper, with park map, was hard to find, making the trek around the cavernous Raceway to view event delights problematic. Nice security, though, made controlled substances easier to sneak in, thus making all that walking a little easier.

As Rage Against the Machine opened the show with what was arguably the event’s most political music (topics including Movimiento Estudiantil Chicno de Azatlán), festivities got started in The Forum, which initially sent the teens scrambling when the emcee challenged them to talk about their beliefs. Even as crowds warmed up to The Forum, The Speakers’ Corner, an area for more discussion, was invisible, as was The Newsstand.

The near-mythical Cyber Pit turned out to be a bank of Macintoshes with poorly-working keyboards and track-balls in a dusty corner, although the opportunity it afforded for putting messages above the Main Stage made it a haven for everything from limp political sloganeering to paging for Phil Collins.

The Travelling Tapestry depicting Native American history, it appeared, was rather disrespectfully used as a shade for The Forum’s tent.

The "strange and mysterious" of The Village was more like a flea market, with peddlers hawking political bumper stickers, overpriced ethnic food, Rasta caps, Indian dresses, incense, Marley tees and piercing. While organizers should be commended for wanting diversity (almost all food was international), Lollapaloozers were not even close to as racially diverse as last year.

Awareness booths were scrapped this year on grounds that only one group was allowed to popularize its beliefs. This seemed indubitably a setback, as the political discussions and debates that went among patrons and groups last year actually got discussion rolling.

1993’s politics seemed more like psuedo-liberal indoctrination, where the most intellectual-sounding in the tent got to talk the longest. Sure, the spoken word tapes running above Forumettes’ heads were food for thought, but that’s it.

Lollapalooza is promoted not just as a concert, but a political and social experience. This year’s event was centered almost exclusively around the sound, which took off the edge.

The Second Stage was more like a battle of the bands, as Free Kitten’s scheduled set was forced to compete with Tool; Tsunami went against Dinosaur Jr.; and, in the most heartbreaking match-up, two of the tour’s better bands, Sebadoh and Arrested Development, squared off. Free Kitten’s Kim Gordon (also of seminal punks Sonic Youth) and other Second Stagers made reference to this and the contempt for bands like Tool seemed high, but amusing.

The good news from the Second Stage was that neither stage drowned out the other. The bad news was that almost everything else on the far end was disastrous.

Otherwise amazing sets by the scheduled bands on the Second Stage and a surprise set by Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore were hampered by poor sound. Sebadoh cut its set short after technical difficulties. Two promised local acts, including grind rappers Taste of Garlic, were absent. The Second Stage finalé, a piñata bash featuring politico piñatas and police batons called "All the President’s Men," got cancelled.

The fun on the Main Stage included a little more friendliness among bands as compared to last year. More bands joined each other on stage and even covered one another’s songs. Despite the heat and the tour’s wrap-up (five dates to go), the bands were accommodating and cheerful.

Organizers get mixed marks for keeping patrons comfy. Lollapaloozers were barred from bringing their own water, then got charged $2 for it inside. Ice was free, although it got scarce as the sun came down. Plenty of portapotties assured that fewer drunkards were urinating in the grass. Last year’s first-aid, which was generous with aspirin and other items, wasn’t so abundant this time.

In light of alternative music’s popularity, anyone would be pressed to find such alternative acts while still drawing the kind of box office to support this type of endeavor. While not completely mainstream, bands like Primus, Dinosaur Jr. and Alice in Chains were able to draw the numbers throughout the tour to make sure Lollapalooza will be around next year.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Security Alert

On Wednesday a male student, who was in the Wendy's parking lot on Cullen Blvd., was approached by a man on a bicycle who pointed a hand gun at him and demanded his money, keys and wallet.

The student threw his keys and money on the ground and told the suspect he did not have a wallet, according to a University of Houston police report. The suspect became angrier and again demanded the wallet while picking up the keys and money.

The student ran behind a car and the suspect fired one round from his weapon, striking the left front tire of the student's car. As the suspect reloaded his weapon, the student ran into the restaurant to contact UHPD.

The suspect fled westbound on Anita St. The bicycle is described as an old brown Schwinn type with old-fashioned handle bars and a triangle seat.

UHPD issued an emergency security alert and describes the suspects as a black male, 18 years old, 5'9"-5'10" with a heavy build. He was wearing a multi-colored woven hat with no bill, brown loose pants, a dart green or brown sweatshirt and possibly green tennis shoes. The weapon is described as banana shaped, with a raw wood stock and a thin dark colored barrel.

If you have any information concerning this incident, call UHPD at 743-3333.

Schedule Reminders

Today is the last day of regular registration for the fall semester. Students can register in the department of their major. New students must meet with an advisor from the University Studies Division/Academic Advising Center before registering.

Students with financial enrollment stops on their accounts will not be allowed to register for courses.

Fall fee payment is due in the Bursar's Office no later than August 25.

Monday, August 9, is the last day to drop a class or withdraw for Summer IV.

The last day of class for Summer IV is August 18. Finals are August 19-20.

STUDENTS GAIN POWER OF PLASTIC

With every new semester comes a rush of credit card cattle calls that help some students gain long term good credit, but start some students on the road to serious debt.

Every fall and spring, credit card companies set up camp next to the bookstore and every public eating facility at UH to convince students to begin a new line of credit.

Credit card advertisements lie in the front cover of newly purchased textbooks and usually scatter the campus grounds for the first week of school.

Seventy percent of all four-year college students have credit cards that they received while on in college.

Ken Scott, director of Ken Scott Communications, a public relations firm that works for Consumer Credit Counseling Service, says that students are just as good about paying their credit bills as any customer.

"Only about four percent are delinquent. This means that they are paying their bills on time," said Scott

"Minimum payment is not necessarily what you purchased. You could have bought something for $1,000, but still have a minimum payment of $50," said Scott.

According to the Consumer Credit Counseling Service, credit card companies offer these services because they believe university students will make good salaries after they graduate.

These companies may not be thinking about the problems that exist before graduation.

"Students who are committed to using credit wisely are taking advantage of a good situation," said Terry Blaney president of CCCS.

"Although if students make only minimum payments on their credit cards and continue to build a large balance, they will leave themselves a major debt burden once they graduate," she said.

Credit card companies make it extremely easy for students to obtain credit cards.

"I never thought about getting a credit card until I saw them on campus. All I had to do was fill out one form, give it to them and a while later I got the card in the mail. I didn't even think about having to pay the basic fee every month," said Denise Harris a senior psychology major.

CCCS, a non-profit organization, offers help and financial planning to students who are having debt problems.

The organization is completely free and offers budget counseling and in the most extreme debt cases repayment plans. CCCS helps people catch up with their debts month by month by looking at an individuals income on the whole. Their goal is to help people build good credit. All consultations are confidential.

CCCS also offers tips to students who are thinking about getting credit cards. Their toll-free number is 1-800-388-2227.

UNEVENTFUL LIFE UNDERSCORES NEED FOR SOUNDTRACKS

By Rebecca McPhail

Sound Advice

My life is missing a soundtrack.

After numerous therapy sessions and an endless stream of self-help books, I've come to the conclusion that the problem isn't myself but, rather, Hollywood. Anyone seems more glamorous with a soundtrack.

The B on my logic final would have meant so much more if the theme to <I>Rocky<P> had been playing as I surveyed my grade report and triumphantly strutted to my car. The bittersweet end of my first love would have swelled with poignancy if the delicate melody of "Norwegian Wood" hovered over the room as I read the "Dear Jane" letter.

Don't believe me? I seem to remember a certain string of John Hughes movies in the early eighties with relatively decent soundtracks. The people in these movies seemed cool. The people in these movies were Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald.

Like I said, anyone seems more glamorous with a soundtrack.

Thursday

MTV Alternative Nation Tour

Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

MTV darlings The Spin Doctors, along with Soul Asylum and The Screaming Trees hit the Woodlands for an evening. If luck is on our side, maybe Kennedy, winner of <I>Rolling Stone's <P>"worst VJ" award, will be hanging around. (It's okay Kennedy, we still love you.) For ticket information call 629-3700.

PANEL CONFRONTS WORKPLACE INEQUITIES

by Heather Wolk

Although women have come a long way in terms of equality and women's rights, some UH professors say discrimination still exists in the workplace.

Wages, promotion and behavioral issues were the focus of a panel discussion held on Thursday.

However, with conscious effort, there are ways to combat discriminatory attitudes at work, said three guest lecturers.

Dr. Janet Chafetz, professor of sociology, said that the four professions that are female dominated are nursing, social work, public teaching and librarians.

"Two-thirds of the workers in these professions are women," said Chafetz.

"All professions are based on service to clients. But the difference between these 'help professions' and doctors and lawyers is that their (doctors' and lawyers') bosses are trained in the profession," Chafetz said.

"They are regulated by the bar association or the AMA. So by law, they can monopolize certain services, like medicine and law," said Chafetz.

"However, a lot of people can be librarians. There is no monopoly on the title. You can't predict their educations. And the result is inequality in pay," said Chafetz.

She said that the "femaleness" of these jobs has occurred because of historical conditions.

"The sudden growth of these professions over the last few decades has called for cheap labor," said Chafetz.

She said that the acceptance of women in college began to grow and women needed something to do with their degrees.

"Women were, and are, stereotyped as being sensitive, moral and nurturing, and were tied to feminine occupations," said Chafetz. "These fields were the only opportunities women had to succeed in a profession."

Since then, Chafetz said, "traditional women" go into these fields -- women who are passive and less questioning.

"These traits are even enforced in job training," Chafetz added.

Sandra Posada, professor of sociology and director of the Office of Student Services in the Graduate School of Social Work, discussed social work and the status of women in that field.

"The field of social work is two-thirds women and was begun by women," said Posada.

"In the 1940s and '50s, men were brought into social work to 'professionalize' the field. But they were promoted quickly and women were not. Most women, unfortunately, are encouraged to stay at the job they are at, to not move up," Posada said.

"Because women being assertive is frowned upon, women --especially minority women -- must try twice as hard to succeed in a male-dominated society," said Posada.

"I am a Desert Storm veteran and I was stationed in a medical center outside of Denver. While the Hispanics saw me as a role model, officers questioned my abilities because I was a Mexican-American worker," said Posada.

"Women have to support each other and realize that we earn our positions, just like everyone else," Posada said.

Dr. Abigail Hubbard, lecturer for the College of Business Administration, discussed the remedies for discrimination and what women can do to change the balance of power in the office.

"Behavior is a reflection of values. But remember, groups of influence are not always the majority. A small group can be a large voice," said Hubbard.

Hubbard explained that women often have to be concerned with things at work that men do not.

"A woman's clothing says things that a man's does not. There is a certain neutrality for men that doesn't exist for women," said Hubbard.

She said there are a few things women can do to change attitudes at work.

"Women, for example, tend to take copious notes at a meeting, even when there's someone there to record them. They are the organizers and the care-takers, and they should learn to let others do work, too," said Hubbard.

"Women also are the ones to bring cookies, make coffee and feed people at meetings, which send messages about women's roles," said Hubbard.

"Women can learn to modify their language. Studies show that women use parenthetic statements more than men. For example, 'I know this may sound silly, but...' a woman's tone of voice matters, too," added Hubbard.

She also suggested that women should advertise confidence -- don't wait to be noticed, and be aware of the behavior used in negotiations.

"'Courtship behavior' is prevalent among women. A small voice, batting the eyelashes, indirect eye contact--you know, general shyness," Hubbard said.

"Engage in the process of mentoring and help your fellow workers get to the top. Just because someone else is successful, that doesn't mean that there won't be any (success) for you," said Hubbard.

"We hope in the future to do similar sessions in issues of interest at UH," said Cynthia Freeland, director of Women's Studies and moderator of the session.

UH STUDENTS TRAVELING TO SEE THE POPE

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Approximately 1,300 Catholic youth from Houston are about to pack their sleeping bags for a journey to Denver.

Almost half a million young people from around the world will come together for mass with Pope John Paul II on Aug. 15, said Moe Garcia, associate director for Houston's Office of Youth Ministry.

World Youth Day with the Papal youth visit is held every two years since 1985. The last celebration was in Czestochowa, Poland. This year the United States is going to be a host for the fifth celebration.

One of the five UH students who is going to Denver, Charles Uyenco, a freshman in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, said he is going to make decisions about his life and feel closer to God by joining the trip.

J.L. Marti, who studied chemical engineering and graduated from UH last year, said he is excited to hear from the Pope.

Marti said sociological issues like unemployment, abortion and gangs will be debated. He said society has been materialistic instead of putting more emphasis on spiritual values.

Groups will come together and study the Catholic faith, which is forgotten, he added. The faith requires values like patience, hard work, purity, sincerity and friendship, Marti said.

The group will be leaving by van from Houston the evening of Aug. 6. Marti said the group will sleep in tents and visit Palo Duro National Park in the Texas Panhandle. Hiking, white water rafting and swimming are going to be among the activities before arriving in Denver. The cost will be about $200, Martin said.

Fund-raising campaigns are still continuing in parishes to enable more than 40 young people to participate in the event, said Garcia. To succeed $15 thousand is needed.

Donations for World Youth Day scholarships can be made to the Office of Youth Ministry at 741-8723.