NEWSLINE

Freshman failure?

Approximately 175 incoming freshmen students were surprised to discover they had been accidentally put on academic probation when summer grades arrived.

Mario Lucchesi, UH registrar, said the problem was brought to his attention July 28 and corrected reports were mailed to students July 30.

The computer error came from missing data, which instead of clearing the students put some with a 2.0 or above grade point average on probation.

UH's newest Ph.D.

After two years as an instructor in the School of Communication, radio and television professor and resident guru David Donnelly recently passed his defense for his Ph.D.

Dr. Donnelly just returned from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, where he presented his dissertation on high definition television (HDTV).

Dr. Donnelly, one of the first in his Ph.D. class to complete his dissertation, co-parented his children and worked full-time while pursuing his doctorate. He continues to be a role model in the School of Communication. Both faculty and students extend their congratulations.

Faculty Orientation

The new faculty orientation program has been scheduled to begin on Aug. 23.

Monday, Aug. 23: 4-7:00 p.m. -- reception

Tuesday: 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. -- presentations: 2:45 p.m.-5:00 p.m. -- employee benefits information

Wednesday: 8-12:00 -- teaching workshop: 1:30-3:30 p.m. -- employee benefits information.

Schedule Reminders

Monday, August 9 is the last day to drop a class or withdraw for Summer IV.

The last day of class for Summer IV is August 18. Finals are August 19-20.

*******************************************************

ONCE TABOO TATTOOS MARK RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM

by Michael Sandlin

The people receiving one do not always fit snugly into the common Hell's Angels, tough guy stereotype.

With these indelible marks, people make a subtle statements about their persona or transform themselves into a walking art gallery.

Tattoos.

The skin designs have evolved into a respected and popular art form. These days, many people long to go under the artist's needle. Whether the person be the conservative accountant-type wanting the discreet one on the ankle or the more hardcore-type intent on suffusing every inch of skin with flamboyant designs, the business and art of tattooing is experiencing a resurgence.

Tattoo artist Mike King of Richard Stell's Scorpion Studios explains that their patrons consist of people from all walks of life. Most who come in for tattoos have the attitude of "the weirder the better."

"In the past, a lot of people wanted the tattoos to look like they were ripping out of the skin," he says, referring to prints such as one particular design that depicts a single bony claw tearing its way through flesh, exposing a beady green eye staring out at the onlooker. "Now a lot of people want their bodies to look like some sort of robot or machine."

The process begins when the customer either choses from the pre-drawn wall designs, referred to as "flash," or come up with their own original idea. For the "flash" designs, the artist uses a stencil to trace the configuration directly onto the desired area–custom designs can be drawn on paper first, or an outline can be traced directly on the skin.

Patrons can opt for a wall design as simple as a beer-swigging tasmanian devil, or they can select something a little more garish–maybe a multi-colored melange depicting a wizened old man with flowing silver beard and a trident in hand, rising imperiously from a swirling blue-green sea amongst a huge pink octopus, a Chinese fighting fish and killer whales that form an arc against the backdrop of a blazing orange sun.

Skulls seem to be the recurring motif in most of the flash designs. The studio walls are replete with grinning skulls swaddled in confederate or American flags, skulls impaled on knives and crosses and skulls enveloped in a variety of colorful serpents.

Then, after completing a thorough sterilization process, the artist takes the needle and penetrates the outer layer of the skin through to somewhere between the third and sixth epidermal layers–about a sixth of an inch deep.

Former UH student Matthew Wojciechowski says the degree of pain involved in the process can range from minimal to downright intolerable in certain cases. "After a couple of hours, the body's endorphines will break down and it (the pain) will finally get to them. Sometimes it hurts just watching." While some discomfort is expected, the studio warns that negligence and mistreatment of a new tattoo is the main concern.

It is not to be soaked in salt water or chlorinated water until it is healed, should not be scratched or picked at, exposed to sun for long periods and, obviously, don't let the cat lick it.

Since the ink doesn't mingle with the skin cells, the potential danger of ink poisoning is alleviated. If the tattoo is not taken care of, the wearer runs the risk of contracting Hepatitis as well as various skin diseases.

Depending on the size and complexity of the design, the complete procedure can last from 15 minutes to the estimated 40-hour long job being completed on owner Stell's back. "But people need to be sure of what they want before they come in," says King, since the only means of removing unwanted tattoos is through painstaking skin graft operations and laser surgery–both procedures costing significantly more than the $50—$120 an hour it takes to get the tattoo in the first place.

A wise choice may save the skin in the long run.

PEP RALLY SET TO THRILL CAMPUS

by M. McBride

Amid summer burn-out and burning up, federal deficit doldrums and funding nightmares -- it's nice to know UH is doing something aimed at nothing more than encouraging everyone to enjoy themselves.

Impossible?

Well, not this summer. But just as the fall semester gets under way, more than 3,000 UH folks will be mingling during the biggest pep rally of the year. On Sept. 1, Lynn Eusan Park will be filled with bands, football players, coaches, bands, cheerleaders, bands, food, kids, games and, famously, 50 cent beer.

The third annual Cougar Kick Off introduces football players and coaches to the UH community as it festively inaugurates the '94 football season. But event sponsors, the Council of Campus Leaders, the Athletic Department and the Alumni Department, have expanded the party so even those too young to spell football can enjoy it.

Because it's the first event of the semester, and the largest, organizers are being particularly careful to include something for everyone. "We're stressing more of a family-oriented event," said Jason Fuller, president of the Students' Association. But, he also said there will be three diverse bands that will play from 4:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m., face painting, clowns, magicians, tons of food and a chance for people to mingle.

"We're still in syllabus week," said Mike Pede, one of the event organizers, "and students can meet and greet other students and get involved during the first days of class."

The Athletic Department is extending its enthusiasm for the football season beyond Cougar Kick Off with a new football ticket system for students.

Everyone registered for class gets a free ticket for the five home games, which is a change from the previous policy of having to be registered as a full-time student. Tickets to the big game of the year against the University of Texas, which this year will be at the Astrodome, used to cost students $25.00. But this year students can use their card to get a free ticket to the game and can get up to two extra tickets for $7.00.

Pede said they'll provide transportation from Moody Towers to the Astrodome as well.

DYSFUNCTIONAL FUN

HOMOSEXUAL PLAYWRIGHT BATTLES STEREOTYPES

by shane patrick boyle

On stage he portrays six different people, but multiple roles are nothing new for Rob Nash, the author and star of <I>12 Steps to a More Dysfunctional You<P> who is just as diverse as his characters.

In addition to being a performance artist, actor and playwright, Nash is also a comedy writer, stand-up comic and former co-author of the comic strip <I>Family Tree<P>.

Nash is a writer for <I>The Tonight Show<P>, and he also performed his own stand-up comedy routines at the Improv, Catch a Rising Star, The Comic Strip and other major venues.

At the University of Texas, he co-authored the Daily Texan comic strip, <I>Family Tree<P> with Cameron Johnson during the Fall 1990 semester. This was one of the first college comic strips with gay and lesbian characters.

Nash says he came up with the title, but the concept and characters were the creation of Johnson who continues to write and draw the series which will be appearing in an upcoming issue of JAB. The strips which Nash co-wrote can be found in <I>Out on a Limb<P>, the first of two reprint collections.

Nash, however, is most noted for his one man play <I>12 Steps to a More Dysfunctional You<P> which debuted last October at Curtains where it has enjoyed three successful runs, the most recent of which ended Sunday.

Nash has also performed the show in other cities including Austin where <I>Family Tree<P> creator Johnson handled the lighting and off-stage voices.

Soon, he will be taking it all the way to Europe. He travels to Scotland this month for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (Aug. 14 - Sept. 4) where he will represent Curtains and the city of Houston in competing for the prestigious Fringe First Award.

Other stops planned for this year include San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, San Diego, and Kansas City.

<I>12 Steps<P> is a satire on therapists and 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Sex Addicts Anonymous and the whole range of other anonymous groups.

It is also a family drama told from six different points of view.

Without costume changes and with few props, he moves seamlessly from one character to the next. Relying only on voice and mannerisms, Nash creates believable characters with personalities so distinct, the audience is never confused by his character changes.

He convincingly portrays a woman who was divorced at the age of 60, a young girl concerned with popularity, an "anarchist" teenager, a moralistic mother, a New Age therapy addict and a gay man. All are related, some in multiple permutations.

The growth of the characters is seen over a 15-year period as they confront their "dysfunctions" and some of them overcome, no thanks to the family shrink.

Nash says the two characters most based on himself are Windsong and Frederick.

Windsong is a lesbian character who Nash describes as being "knee-deep in recovery and New Age." It seems she is forever going to her spiritual advisor and her shrink. Nash says he draws her material from days when he was into recovery and New Age.

Frederick is a gay man whose eventual death of AIDS is the emotional climax of the story. Having been through an alphabet soup of recovery groups, he has had more therapy than the rest of the family except for Windsong, but he is also the most together -- only because he gave up on therapy.

Although Nash does not have AIDS, he says he identifies with Frederick in other experiences, and uses him as the "political mouthpiece" of the play.

Nash is openly gay. In September of '90 he was involved in gay politics and participated in "a week of queer actions and queer awareness" at UT.

He refers to those as "the good old days" when "the left was really excited and organized (at UT)."

One of the week's activities was a kiss-in during which he was photographed with his boyfriend Derek Roberts for the front page of the Daily Texan.

Nash says the photo and accompanying article sparked "a huge backlash" from right-wingers on campus.

As for Roberts, Nash says they are still together. "So how's that for family values?"

If you missed Nash in his Houston performances, mark your calendar for Dec. 3 when Rob Nash returns to Houston and Curtains for the debut of <I>12 Steps to a More Dysfunctional Christmas<P>.

FIRST INSTALLMENT OF MUSICAL JOURNEY

by Jeff Balke

Welcome to the bizarre and frightening world known as the local Houston music scene. I will be your host on this long and sordid journey through the many layers of music in and around the city of Houston, but first, a few ground rules:

Even though I am a musician, I will not waste your time describing how great someone's guitar playing is or what amazing gear he or she possesses. I am, after all, a music fan like you.

I will try to cover as many different styles of music possible. Just because this is a college paper doesn't mean I am going to cover alternative music heavily. Though I am not the biggest fan of some forms of music, I will do my best to give you a fair and objective opinion of its quality.

Most important, all of the opinions in my columns are just that, opinions. They are exclusive unto me. Whether you agree or disagree doesn't matter, just that you are interested. The idea of this column is to inform and inspire readers as well as to encourage them to participate in Houston's music scene in whatever way possible.

You may be asking yourself, who is this long-haired guy and why is should we listen to him?

I've been involved in the Houston music scene in one way or another for the past nine years. Whether it was playing in a band or sneaking into clubs at a young age, I have stayed involved and informed in the workings of the local scene since 1985.

Since then, I have developed many contacts in the music scene, most of which came from my association with a popular music store on the north side of town.

Basically, I love music and love to talk about it. Incidentally, I would love any and all information (i.e. tapes, CD's, pictures, press kits, etc.) on your favorite local musicians and bands. You can drop them off at the Cougar office in room 151 of the Communications Building.

Hopefully, this column will be as fun and enlightening for you as it will be for me. Stay tuned for upcoming coverage of the zoning issue and Houston's best local bands, not to mention all the latest news.

Until then, keep going out and supporting local music. See ya.

GUINIER ATTACKS PRESS, PREZ GRACEFULLY

People are talking.

About the two police officers recently sentenced to two years for disregarding Rodney King's civil rights. Much of the talk centers on inequities based on race within the criminal justice system–something Lani Guinier could probably speak about for hours.

"Related to the idea of fairness is the idea that dialogue and intergroup communication are critical to forging consensus. I do not believe that talking about controversial issues is what creates controversy. For example, the controversy about race preceded my nomination," she says.

"Talking did not exacerbate that controversy. Not talking did."

Guinier understandably hopes to keep her deep personal sentiments buried within after the recent turbulent period in which she suffered from what some called a "low-tech lynching" and a subsequent silencing by the executive branch and press.

"In some ways, this nomination was my most difficult civil rights case," she says, emphatically. What she says draws laughter not silence from a crowd of reporters at a press conference during her recent trip to Houston.

Guinier, 43, a mother and associate professor of law at the University of Pennsylvania, looked nothing like the dejected friend of President Clinton who had hopes of being a team player.

"I think that the president has the personal commitment and the compassion to be a great president, to be a racial healer, but it's a commitment that needs to be demonstrated by actions, not just by words. The challenge of his presidency is before him."

The two have not exchanged words since he aborted her nomination -- to the dismay of the Congressional Black Caucus' Rep. Kweisi Mfume and others.

But she is still talking, even offering prayers for and advice to Dr. Joycelyn Elders, the embattled nominee for surgeon general.

Guinier asserted the negative caricatures of her could only be drawn by journalists whose microcosmic world mirrors society at large, which lacks diversity in management levels, is supported by racial tokenism, suffers from viewpoint monopoly and remains in a state of denial.

Wavy black hair in a ponytail. Black two-piece suit. Firm handshake. At times, she seems animated, cocking her head to one side or arching her eyebrows. She hesitates for a minute, in a plaintive mood, then reveals the two Civil Rights Movement leaders she most admires are the late Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall and lawyer Constance Baker Motley.

Marshall, architect of the landmark 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education desegregation case, has clearly influenced her in the area of voting rights litigation. Motley, also a pioneering civil rights lawyer, blazed trails for women in a sexist profession.

Having lost only two cases while serving as assistant counsel to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Legal Defense Fund, Guinier is considered a leading expert on the topic of voting rights. Much of her scholarship, overlooked by Clinton and some journalists, focuses on voting blocs, gerrymandering and representative leadership.

She says the double standards based on race are evident when the question of fairness is raised. "Apparently, some of us feel comfortable providing special protections for wealthy landlords or white South Africans, but we brand as "divisive" and "radical" the idea of providing similar remedies to include black Americans–who after centuries of racial oppression–are still excluded."

She often smiles as she talks. Never an impish grin, but a facial expression that suggests the once tightened noose is loosening. One of relief.

Still talking.

"I do not believe that talking about race invariably leads us to an 'Us versus them' mentality. Talking may instead reveal points of commonality. Talking can be cathartic rather than chaotic."

FEES, NOT TUITION, INFLATE COSTS

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Texas is ranked 48th among 50 states for having the lowest resident undergraduate tuition. However, according to a 1993 poll by the Texas State Teachers Association, almost 70 percent of Texans find education too expensive.

The expense is largely due to the fees that Texas institutions charge. The cost of an education actually doubles after fees are added.

If an undergraduate and Texas resident takes 15 credit hours a semester, the tuition will costs $390 and the total charge is $765 with all other mandatory fees included.

General use fee, which increased to $12 from $10 per credit hour this year, is charged to support the costs of occupancy, service, use and availability of buildings, property and facilities in addition to supporting the costs for general university activities and operations, according to the UH Budget Office.

Some students think the fees shouldn't be applied to everybody.

"They should look at the actual classes you are taking. If you are not using computers, you shouldn't be charged a computer use fee," said Beth Roberts, a junior in education. She also said she does not use the Health Center because she has private insurance. She finds the $216 general use fee too much for 18 hours.

Fawn Chen, a first year graduate student in architecture, said she doesn't know what student services and general use fees are or why they are charged. She said she would like to see a detailed information about fees other than tuition.

Although the schedule of charges is listed in the graduate and undergraduate catalog, explanation about the charges isn't given.

Mary Rubright, executive director for Planning and Budgeting, said mandatory fees are charged to generate revenue for institutions and are charged in all Texas colleges.

She said additional funds are generated for the Texas institutions through tuition and mandatory funds.

Rubright added that the decision about the amount of the mandatory fees is left to the institutions. Mandatory fees are approved by the Board of Regents.

UT-Austin and UH charges $12, A&M University $10 and Texas Tech University $10 for general use fees.

A senior in biology, David Smith said if the university does not charge the fees, tuition will rise.

Arizona State University charges $93 per credit hour or $889 for seven hours or more credit hours. An additional $25 is charged for student recreation complex.

The undergraduate resident fee is $60 per credit hour in Florida State University, and no additional fees are charged. Fifteen credit hours cost $900 in FSU.

Every semester students pay a $55 at the Louisiana State University. Undergraduate residents pay $75 per credit hour. For 15 hours or more tuition is $975 at LU.

ART STUDENTS MAKE PLEA FOR PROGRAMS

SA VOWS TO JOIN FIGHT FOR ART

As a result of UH president James Pickering's bid to shut down the jewelry, metalsmithing, ceramics and sculpture programs, he will be faced with angry shouts from the UH arts scene, the Houston arts scene and now the UH Students' Association.

Art students showed their faces, showed their art and spoke their minds at Monday night's SA meeting to ask for support against the possible 3-D art shutdown.

President Pickering's first draft of the UH reshaping plan asked that the jewelry, metalsmithing, sculpture and ceramics departments be completely shutdown. The proposal says that the money from these programs would be better used in Art History and Interior Design. Pickering would replace the existing building with a new music building. The plan deems the departments unimportant because of a low student enrollment.

Ceramics, metalsmithing and sculpture students, Audry Herber, Robert Mueller and Deborah McNulty spoke at the meeting and insisted that not only is the enrollment not low in their colleges, but also that the programs help students in other departments learn their trades.

"We have between 70 and 85 students per year in our program. We also have students from architecture, interior design and engineering who take classes," said Herber.

Engineering students use tools that are similar to those used in all three departments.

Herber went on to say that UH will not save very much money by cutting out the programs.

"If the building is gone we could easily fit back into the Fine Arts building. The gas lines are still there, all we have to do is move the equipment over. Most of our equipment is donated and our program is funded by student fees. This is no cost to the university," she said.

McNulty said she believed the lack of these programs could cause problems between the university and the Houston arts scene. She also said that UH represents a great diversity in people and culture and that 3-D art reflects that variety.

"UH students show in local galleries, they helped work on the set of <I>Robocop II<P>. They are a major part of the Houston arts scene," she said.

SA seemed to agree with the art students' argument.

Justin McMurtry, one of the senators for Humanities, Fine Arts and Communications said that he agrees with his constituents.

"We are writing a senate resolution in support of them. There have been a lot of voices of dismay about this. We will be another voice to the president," he said.

Coy Wheeler, Speaker of the Senate, said he too agrees with the cause. He says he has kept in contact with people in the arts community and that they are furious about the possible shutdown.

"My stepmother is the photography curator at the Museum of Fine Arts. She says we will be the laughing stock of the art world without 3-D art. Not only are they angry, but I spoke to Debra Danburg's office (State Representative D-Houston) and they are not too thrilled with this at all," he said.

"We have to have the program even if it is consolidated. Pulling this would be like pulling management from the business office," said Wheeler.

UH art students and groups from the Houston Arts community, including DiverseWorks, are planning a protest against the shutdown August 20 in UH's Lynn Eusan Park. The coalition is called Gag and their slogan reads "Don't Gag The Arts."

VETERAN'S SERVICES FACE BUDGET CUT

by Heather Wolk

Although the UH Veteran's Service Office is experiencing a 50 percent budget cut this year, the program and the 1,000 students who benefit from it will not be immediately affected by the cut.

John Mowery, coordinator for the VSO, said the program will receive money from the university to counteract the cut in funding.

"Fortunately, student service fees will be raised, at our request, to compensate the loss," said Mowery.

"Part of our funding comes from a grant from the Department of Education for the Veteran's Educational Outreach Program.

"Congress simply decided not to fund that program. I think they needed to make cuts, and they thought this was an area that could be cut," Mowery said.

"The actual VA benefits come from the government. But we offer help to student veterans with paper work, filling out forms--any kind of questions or problems they may have, we try to solve," said Mowery.

The VSO serves as an information source for student veterans, offering information about on-campus and local jobs, as well as access to federal jobs world-wide, according to a brochure from the VSO.

He said the only operational costs for the VSO are salaries and office supplies.

"Student (veterans) are funded by the government (the Veteran's Administration). But they have to be supervised by UH employees, who are paid by the university," said Mowery.

Mowery said he hopes that the program will receive funding again next year.

"Senator Montgomery is requesting that funding for the program be reinstated, so hopefully, we'll have more funding soon," said Mowery.

GYM SHORTS

Volleyball

Senior volleyball player Karina Faber has been selected as UH's 1993 NCAA Woman of the Year winner. She will officially represent UH as a candidate for the national honor later this year.

The NCAA Woman of the Year is given to a senior student-athlete who has demonstrated outstanding athletic ability, academic excellence, dedication to community service and who has completed her academic eligibility.

The state award winners for NCAA Woman of the Year will be named in early September. The National winner will be named in November.

Redshirt sophomore offensive tackle Jimmy Hrndon and senior Joe Wheeler were named to the Southwest Conference "GTE Academic Honor Team" for their achievements in the classroom and in the community. Both men met the criteria by winning a varsity letter, being a resident for at least three semesters or in the final year of eligibility and posting a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average.

New announcer

Veteran sports play-by-play announcer Jim Durham has entered into a one year agreement with the UH Athletic Department and Host Communications to announce Cougar football and basketball games in 1993-94.

Durham will be joined by former UH All-American Robert Newhouse for the football broadcasts and by long-time Cougar announcer Art Casper for the UH basketball games. KPRC (950) in Houston will be the flagship station and Host Communications is the syndicator of the Cougar Network.

COUGAR FOOTBALL SET FOR SUCCESSFUL SEASON

by Jason Ramirez

It was Nov. 17, 1990.

The 8-1 Houston Cougars were taking on the Eastern Washington Eagles at the Astrodome .

Leading 42-14 at the half, Jenkins elected to keep starting quarterback David Klingler in the game long enough for him to throw 11 touchdown passes and set an NCAA record.

When all was said and done, the Cougars had thrashed the Eagles 84-21. Some critics said the game added to the Cougars' reputation for running up the score.

"It was not only embarrassing for our opponents but also for our team that we had that type of an image," said Ryan McCoy, an All-Southwest Conference returning linebacker for the team.

Now that Jenkins is gone, many Cougars would like to put the past behind them as they look forward to a fresh beginning under new head coach, Kim Helton.

"Above all I would like to put our reputation behind us and look ahead to new things," McCoy said.

"I feel that with coach Helton taking over, things will definitely be better."

"This is the best I have ever felt going into a regular season," said McCoy. "The entire atmosphere around here has changed almost overnight with coach Helton's arrival."

Among the returnees are 13 starters, seven on defense and six on offense.

Notable standouts include quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate, Jimmy Klingler, fullback, Lamar Smith, and offensive guard Darrell Clapp.

According to Lindy's Southwest Football magazine, Klingler, Smith, Clapp, and McCoy are rated among the best at their respective positions in the country.

Klingler is coming off an outstanding season in which he led the nation in total offense.

His biggest attribute is probably his ability to perform best against the better teams. With games against the likes of national powers Michigan, Southern Cal, and Texas A&M, the Cougars can feel confident about their chances.

However,with Helton wanting to put more of the 'run' in the Run-and-Shoot, Smith could turn out to be the main force in the Cougar offense.

Already ranked as one of the nations top runners, Smith could possibly move up the charts as the season goes on with yet another outstanding campaign.

The strength of the offensive line will be anchored by returning guard Clapp, while the defense will be led by McCoy for the third year in a row.

"We are looking to the season with anticipation," said returning wide receiver Ron Peters.

Along with anticipation comes expectation, and many of the Cougars do, in fact, see themselves performing well under the new coaching regime.

"If we stay focused on what we have to do, I can seriously see us in a bowl," said McCoy.

"I just can't wait for Michigan," said Peters.

Both players did stress however, that it is important that team goals come first before individual goals.

"Having that particular attitude is the only way we are going to win and be successful," said Peters.

Coach Helton also noted the extreme importance of team play.

"We can not look at outstanding individual performances after a ball game," Helton said. "If we don't win that particular ball game as a team, individual performances won't matter and we'll just have to move on."