ITS BEGINNING TO LOOK LIKE FOOTBALL SEASON

Freshman and junior college transfers have arrived a week early to hone their skills before the regular football season starts. The Coogs were on the field Monday for their first day of practice, working with head coach Kim Helton for their first game against the University of Southern California on Sept. 4.

"We have brought these players out to teach them all of the things that everybody seems to forget you have to teach a new player," Helton said.

Helton stressed that practice is essential to the new players.

"They will have these three days to themselves to learn the names of some of the plays and some of the techniques that we'll be using once the rest of the team arrives," Helton said.

"This is the time when new players have a chance to really shine and prove to the coaches that they have the ability to make a contribution to this football team."

With the Houston summer temperatures soaring into the high 90s, some of the players were overcome with heat exhaustion and had to be given IV solutions. All survived practice, though.

*******************************************************

NEWSLINE

Academic Excellence

A UH professor is slated to receive the highest award given for outstanding achievements in logistics engineering.

Professor Benjamin Ostrofsky will receive the Founders Medal during the 1993 International Symposium of the Society of Logistic Engineers on August 26.

New Scholarship

The Asian American Heritage Association presented a $1,000 check to UH to start a scholarship endowment specifically for first-generation immigrants of Asian descent.

The University of Houston System will match $1 for every $2 distributed from the endowment income. UH President James Pickering said Asian Americans constitute one of the "fastest growing segments of this university's student body." He said the Scholarship will guarantee that their numbers continue to grow.

Study Break

A campfire in August? In the dorms? Residents can mark their calendars for Aug. 17 and the Residence Halls Association's Campfire study break. The study break before finals will include marshmallow roasting, camp songs and refreshments. The campfire runs from 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.

Schedule Reminders

Fee payment for the fall semester is due Wednesday, Aug. 25.

The last day of class for Summer IV is Aug. 18. Finals are Aug. 19-20. If you're getting financial aid for the fall, check with counselors now to make sure paperwork is in order.

RIGHT TO USE TURN SIGNAL LEFT BEHIND

By Rebecca McPhail

Sound Advice

Like most women, I find myself genuinely puzzled by male behavior. Most things (toilet seats left up, sports obsessions and bodily functions as a form of communication) I've come to accept. However, one thing still bewilders me:

Why don't men ever use the turn signal?

Generally, I try to avoid gender stereotypes because they're usually misleading and inaccurate. But when's the last time you witnessed a man cautiously flip on his turn signal well in advance of his anticipated lane change in order to alert other drivers of his intentions?

Reagan was still in office, wasn't he?

Rather than take the safe route, a man will speed up, slow down, crane his neck to the right and left, gesture wildly, swerve and cuss - anything to avoid the dreaded turn signal.

Why such an aversion? Perhaps it's because men liken driving to combat.

An ex-boyfriend explained it this way, "I never let the enemy know what I'm doing."

Taking this advice to heart, I've not only quit using my turn signal but I've also started driving with my headlights off. My camouflage riding gear should be ready next week.

You can never be too safe, right?

Tuesday

Poetry Slam at Catal Huyuk

2524 McKinney

Who in their right mind can pass up an opportunity to make an utter fool of themselves in front of several hundred of their closest friends? Find out tonight at Catal as Houston's hottest amateur poets read for ratings. For more information call 237-1018.

Wednesday

Houston Shakespeare Festival at the Miller Outdoor Theater

Hermann Park

The festival alternates between <I>Henry V<P> on the 11th and 13th at 8:30 p.m. and <I>Midsummer Night's Dream<P> on the 12th and 14th at 8:30 p.m. All performances are free.

Duran Duran in concert

Woodlands Pavilion

Ten years ago they were every 14-year-old girl's dream. Today they're the hottest new thing on the alternative charts. Go figure. Self proclaimed musical genius, Terence Trent D'Arby opens. For ticket information call 629-3700

Friday

Tina Turner and Chris Isaak in concert

Woodlands Pavilion

Still enjoying the new halo put over her head by <I>What's Love Got To Do With It<P>, Tina Turner breezes into town with an all new revue. Better reason to catch the act: opener Chris Isaak. A smooth-voiced crooner in a 50s frame of mind, Isaak sends female hearts soaring. For ticket information call 629-3700.

Sunday

Galactic Cowboys at Rockefeller's West

6400 Richmond

Out of this world rock from the space city's own Galactic Cowboys. The band's currently on tour in support of its latest release, <I>Space in Your Face<P>. Best of all, admission is free! For more information call 977-5495.

LIVING LEGACY

NEW CD SET TRACES JAZZ PATRIARCH'S MUSICAL LIFE AND DEATH

When jazz pioneers come to mind, people remember Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Sun Ra, Charlie Parker and Thelonious Monk, but John Coltrane is the jazz forefather that time forgot. Maybe <I>The Last Giant: The John Coltrane Anthology<P> can rectify the error.

Masters of remasters Rhino Records have outdone themselves in this double-CD set with the best glimpses at Coltrane’s life and the melancholy jazz that today defines what the sound is all about.

Even after his death, Coltrane is probably still music’s most misunderstood artist. The saxophonist played with Gillespie, Davis and other outfits in the 1940s and 1950s, later venturing out with his own group in the 1960s. Trane’s influences ranged from Stan Getz to Sonny Rollins and Dexter Gordon. His unusual style, shy demeanor and spiritual nature take on the music that was his endless passion and were what made him a legend.

His peers noted that, during his time, Coltrane provoked the most fiery sentiments among fans, critics and fellow musicians, either loving or loathing his compositions. One <I>Down Beat <P>reviewer tagged him the "angry young tenor," a label Coltrane, in his typically quiet reserve, would say was misjudged.

Coltrane’s unbridled, endless jams in the smoky clubs went on for five or six hours. His every note was a testament to his endless search for vibrance, a surer means of self expression. <I>The Last Giant <P> admirably attempts to chronicle Coltrane’s quest, tracing his steps as a young tenor sax man to just a few months prior to his death.

Disc One opens up with "Hot House (Jam Session)," a rare cut of a young Coltrane with a Navy band, The Melody Masters. The last eight bars of Coltrane’s underwire set emulate a particular Charlie Parker lick jazz aficionados will recognize.

"Good Groove" is recorded with the Gillespie sextet and is familiar. "We Love to Boogie" was Trane’s first released solo work, pressed on the Dee Gee label. "Bittersweet" is a track released on the Gotham label featuring Trane and Gay Crosse & His Good Humor Six.

Newly released compositions like "Thru For The Night" keep this retrospective fresh. Efforts to chronicle the essential Coltrane touch on a swath of old releases during varying points of his career as well as just enough new songs to tempt the hard core Trane follower.

Disc Two is a little disappointing. Literally the entire <I>Best of John Coltrane<P>, released some time ago, is on this disk. For the most part, the music is directly from <I>Best<P>. Even the 25-minute "My Favorite Things," recorded in Stockholm on Nov. 23, 1961 and previously unreleased, isn’t particularly adventurous by the standard of previously released live versions.

While surely no one can put together a Coltrane anthology and forget classics like "Central Park West" or "Cousin Mary," maybe more searching for different versions should have been on the agenda.

"Ogunde" is Disc Two’s savior. Previously unreleased, this piece, recorded at NYC’s Olatunji Center for African Culture, is only an excerpt from a performance during Trane’s last days. It is manic but haunting, but as the music trails off with Coltrane hard at work, his prowess comes through once more.

As if two hours of Coltrane weren’t enough, Rhino puts together what is likely one of the best booklet accompaniments to a CD set this year. Filled with rare and first-time prints, poetry and very in-depth biographical information, the 50-page <I>Last Giant <P>booklet is accessible to the jazz novice and is very readable. Anecdotes from those who knew Trane, journalists and DJs pepper a fine tale. The booklet alone is worth the change you plunk down on this.

To mangle one famed folkie’s quote: "If love was a Trane/I think I’d ride me a slow one." And this is the one to hop aboard.

DEATH PENALTY OPPONENTS CAST LIGHT ON DARKNESS OF ROW

by shane patrick boyle

As the state with the highest number of death row inmates prepares for its next execution, Texans are turning their attention to the issue and the case of Gary Graham.

Graham has become the major focus of the death penalty debate for a combination of factors. He is African American who was sentenced to death row by a Harris County judge when he was 18, and his claim of innocence is based on new evidence.

His case represents a compilation of many criticisms against the death penalty.

Opponents of the death penalty put forth arguments that the death penalty presents a prime example of racism in the state's judicial system, that Harris county over uses the death sentence, that young people can be rehabilitated instead of killed and that the state makes it difficult to prove innocence.

The population of Texas' death row, located in the Texas Department of Corrections in Huntsville, is 35.7 percent African American. This represents more than three times the percentage of African Americans in the state of Texas.

Looking at Harris County, the disparity is even greater. African Americans account for 60 of the 103 death row inmates from Harris County. Only 34 white inmates are from Harris County.

Harris County has come under criticism because 25 of the 61 Texans who have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976 have been from Harris County.

This not only accounts for more executions than any other county in Texas but also accounts for more than any state except Florida, which has the second highest rate with 31 since 1976 .

Besides race, age is another issue brought up in challenges to the death penalty.

Graham is accused of committing murder at the age of 17. He is now 29 and has spent his entire adult life on death row. There are currently 10 Texans on death row accused of committing crimes at the age of 17.

Graham lost an appeal on the basis of youth as a mitigating factor and his execution date was re-scheduled for a third time for Aug. 17.

Mona Rhines, a death penalty coordinator for the Houston chapter of Amnesty International, says someone given a life sentence instead of the death penalty–who is in prison from the age of 18 to 58–will emerge "a changed person." (Forty years is the minimum a person with a life sentence must serve under Texas law.)

Although members of AI oppose the death penalty in all cases, it is not their policy to recommend what laws a state should make in lieu of the death penalty. Rhines says, however, that rehabilitation is an option, particularly for younger convicts.

Graham has taken high school and college courses from death row. He is also enrolled in a paralegal course through the Blackstone School of Law. One of his accomplishments on death row is the founding of The Endeavor, a newspaper by and about death row inmates.

In an article in the Winter issue, he discusses the implications of <I>Herrera vs. Collins<P>, a case he compares to his own because Herrera appealed on the basis of new evidence.

Herrera appealed his conviction for murdering a police officer on the basis of new evidence and eyewitness reports pointing to his brother as the possible culprit. His claim, however, was rejected with a precedent-setting decision that allows the state to refuse to hear new evidence more than 30 days after conviction even if the evidence points to probable innocence.

Graham says in his article that <I>Herrera vs. Collins<P> determined that it is "not unconstitutional to execute an innocent man." This precedent was applied to Gary Graham's appeal, and his execution date still stands.

About the Herrera decision Rhines says it is "unforgivable that an innocent man was executed.

"If there is even the slightest chance an innocent may be executed, then no one should be executed," she says.

As Aug. 17 nears, Texans are watching to see how the story of Gary Graham develops.

GRAHAM USES LETTERS TO TELL LIFE'S TALE

Thirty years ago, from a dark, musty jail cell in Birmingham, Alabama, Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote that time had been used as a weapon by people of ill will.

"It is the strangely irrational notion that there is something in the very flow of time that will inevitably cure all ills. Actually time is neutral. It can be used either destructively or constructively. I am coming to feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than the people of good will," wrote King in the letter that communicated his disdain for Christian leaders who upheld segregation.

Death row inmate Gary Graham, like King, has used the epistolary form to tell not only his story, but the stories of more silent, less visible inmates who face the same fate–death by legal injection that includes a solution of sodium triopental, pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride.

Graham, sentenced to death at 18 after being convicted of the shooting death of Arizona resident Bobby Grant Lambert, also mentions the one variable that can not be manipulated. Time.

"It appears as though the unjust authorities here are determined to murder me for a crime which the totality of the evidence clearly demonstrates I did not commit. We may cry out desperately for time to pause in her passage, but time is deaf to every plea and rushes on," he wrote in a letter addressed to friends and supporters.

The Apostle Paul also used the epistolary form–in some cases, the only means of communications available to prisoners–to disseminate information about Christianity. Graham, unlike the saint and King, is in the midst of his Macedonia. He refers to fellow inmates as "comrades" in his letters and implores them to work collectively to spread their message.

With rare exceptions, the paralegal student has signed his letters, "I remain, Struggling in the eye of the storm of injustice of America." He always includes "T," his childhood nickname.

After his first reprieve, he wrote in a letter dated June 12, 1993, that he was "poorly represented at my trial by a court appointed lawyer and as a result much of the evidence which would help to establish my innocence has only recently been uncovered and I am convinced that still other evidence exists. The investigator responsible for my case at trial has recently admitted in an affidavit that he failed to make any effort to investigate my case or talk to witnesses who might have proved my innocence."

In his letters, Graham has discussed the passive resistance of Gandhi, the high recidivism rate in the Texas criminal justice system, alternatives to execution, the Supreme Court's consideration of the death penalty, and The Endeavor, a newspaper he founded.

But the clock continues to tick. Toward next Tuesday.

Still, the man born almost five months after King wrote his letter from a Birmingham jail cell seems to see the letter as his only way of speaking his truth about prison conditions, his case and the cases of others, such as Ricardo Aldape Guerra.

Graham, 29, also mentions the <I>Herrera vs. Collins<P> case, in which Supreme Court Justices Blackmun, Stevens and Souter, a third of the high court, dissented. In his interpretation of the majority opinion (which was in favor of execution of the innocent), Graham writes, "For years, the Supreme Court, led by Chief Rehnquist, has made an unprecedented number of decisions calculated to speed up the process of railroading poor minorities to the death chambers. It has changed constitutional standards to make convictions easier."

Graham by no means considers himself pious. Or cut from the same cloth as King. In fact, of himself, he paints a picture of a wayward son of an alcoholic father and mentally ill son.

He was not the first to write a letter from prison. He will not be the last.

GOOD TIMES ARE OVER, TIME TO PAY PIPER

SA MAY LOSE CONTROL OF CARRY-OVER FUNDS

The Students' Association will no longer have the ability to spend extra money from previous budgets in the current year.

The Students'' Association $93,000 budget, which is made up of UH student service fees, usually leaves some extra money every year. The excess funds are called carry-forward.

Every year there is a complaint that student organizations that have extra money from previous budgets should ask for less from the Student Fees Allocating Committee. Last year Cipriano Romero, SA presidential candidate, promised to ask for $16,000 less from SFAC because of existing to extra funds.

This year SA used a large part of their $16,000 carry-forward fund to renovate their offices, to start a marketing campaign which was meant to make SA more available to students and to cover the extra $1,000 they spent on last years presidential inauguration.

The SA senators voted to transfer funds to cover these events without having the idea reviewed by a senate committee.

SA president Jason Fuller said transferring funds within the SA budget is legal and does not have to pass through the senate at all.

"I didn't have to bring this to the senate at all. Accounts payable transfers funds without us even knowing sometimes. If they get a request for supplies and there is not enough money, they can just take it out of say the promotions fund," said Fuller.

Extra money will now be kept in a reserve fund. Fuller said any request for money will have to go through the office of the vice president for Student Affairs.

"It will be considerably more difficult for us to spend money. If our printer blew up we would probably get the money, but not if we just need extra money for copies," said Fuller.

Speaker of the senate Coy Wheeler said the reserve should not cause too much of a problem.

"It is supposed to go into reserve starting Sept. 1. Then we will have to ask for it. It will probably be more paperwork," he said

Fuller believes there is a small chance that putting the money into reserve may make SA completely lose the money.

"Something like this happened five years ago. Some student organizations ran a surplus in money and athletics was running a deficit. Someone said all credits that you have will be void. Everyone started out with the same amount after that," said Fuller.

Dr. Elwyn Lee, the vice president for Student Affairs, is on vacation and could not be reached for comments as to whether or not the funds could be completely taken away.

"After all the problems the last time this happened, I don't foresee it happening again," said Fuller.

UH INVENTION GOING COMMERCIAL

APPLICATIONS UNLIMITED FOR CHU'S BRAINCHILD

by Heather Wolk

As if being the world leader in a new scientific innovation isn't enough, UH is now beginning to sell superconductivity, the process that put UH into the spotlight.

The process of superconduction allows scientists to keep magnets that are repelled against each other in a line -- floating.

The applications of this process are virtually unlimited. Transportation could be improved with magnetically elevated trains which would be more energy efficient than current modes of transportation.

The Texas Center for Superconductivity at UH currently has a contract with Boeing.

Boeing uses superconductivity to pull dents out of airplanes and to hold the frame together during welding, which cuts their costs considerably.

The College of Engineering and TCSUH has developed a new division to improve marketing capabilities for UH.

Titled the HDS Processes Division, the new area will focus on new options for better marketing and productivity efficiency.

"This (division) will be in charge of technical transfers for research, development and technology," said professor Kamel Salama, head of the HDS Processes Division.

The TSCUH was built in 1987 and is the largest center of its kind in the U.S. in terms of scientists, researchers and equipment.

UH professor C.W. Paul Chu was the first to discover a feasible form of superconductivity, the process of using materials which conduct electricity with no resistance and no loss of energy.

Chu also discovered ceramic superconductivity materials that boil at the temperature of liquid nitrogen, which is 77k. This discovery brought opportunities for many other applications.

While superconductivity was discovered in 1911, it wasn't until 1987 that UH researchers discovered high temperature super-conductivity, which is considered to be a more efficient form of superconductivity.

Low temperature superconductors are cooled with liquid helium, while high temperature conductors can be cooled with liquid nitrogen, which is cheaper and more efficient.

"High temperature super conductors have a certain commercial value, and we would like to be involved in the marketing of them," said Wei-Kan Chu of the TCSUH.

"We want to learn to make things in large quantities at a lower cost," said Chu.

"I think the center has matured enough and developed to the point that it can go into the marketplace," said Salama.

Initially, the division was very small, involving only two to four people, said Chu.

"The new division was designed specifically to look at issues relating to cutting costs with larger production, as well as looking at marketing opportunities," Chu said.

"Our vision at the College of Engineering is to bring large-scale production with decreased costs," said Chu.

"Previously, we were not interested in marketing because the market was so small. But as it has grown, we want to anticipate the marketing possibilities for our center," said Chu.

Chu said they are not hiring more employees at this time.

"We are not increasing personnel at this early stage. Maybe in the future, if the market opens up more," said Chu.