AGGIES HIGHLIGHT PRESEASON TEAM

Every team has its share of outstanding players, and this year's Southwest Conference is no exception.

The 1993 Daily Cougar Preseason All-SWC Team is loaded with all the outstanding players you will need to keep a close eye on this year as they hope to make this season a memorable one.

And it all starts with the Texas A&M Aggies.

The unanimous SWC favorite led the way by having 10 players named to the team.

They include explosive running back Greg Hill, punishing defensive lineman Sam Adams and skillful defensive back Aaron Glenn.

Hill begins his third season in college football already having totaled 2,555 yards rushing.

Last season, he was third in the conference with 1,339 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Assuming he is eligible, Hill should be back to once again lead the Aggies on their quest for the national title.

Adams also returns for his junior season in hopes of trying to duplicate what he did in 1992.

A sophomore All-American and All-SWC pick last season, Adams is The Daily Cougar's preseason pick for SWC Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Last season he became a fixture on the defensive line that was the best in the nation according to The Sporting News.

He contributed his part with 56 tackles, four-and-a-half sacks and five tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

With the A&M defense getting a lot of attention this season, Adams should be noteworthy of even higher honors this year.

Glenn is another standout on the defense who is primed for some high recognition in 1993.

The senior cornerback set a SWC record last season by breaking up 20 passes. He also added six interceptions on his way to Defensive Newcomer of the Year honors.

The remaining Aggies on this year's conference team are Chris Dausin (center), Tyler Harrison (offensive line), Greg Schorp (tight end), Eric England (defensive line), Jason Atkinson (linebacker), Steve Solari (linebacker) and Sean Terry (punter).

The Houston Cougars came in second with six players being named to the team.

Last season's NCAA total offense leader, quarterback Jimmy Klingler tops the list as he hopes to start the new coaching regime of Kim Helton on the right foot. "Klingler has the nerve, talent, and skill to be great," says Helton. "He definitely has the potential to play in the NFL."

Klingler threw for 3,818 yards and 32 touchdowns last season.

A similar season may be out of reach for him in 1993, however, because Helton is implementing a more balanced offensive attack.

Nevertheless, Klingler's talent and presence should still be good enough for him to shine once again this season.

Hoping to play a big role in the more-balanced Cougar offense will be senior running back Lamar Smith.

Although the Cougars threw the ball 80 percent of the time last year, Smith still ran for 892 yards in nine games.

Since Helton plans to run the ball more this season, look for Smith to put up some impressive numbers once the season gets under way.

Leading the defensive linebacking corps for the Cougars and the rest of the SWC will be senior middle linebacker Ryan McCoy.

Last season McCoy was second in the conference in tackles with 137. He led the SWC in tackles behind the line of scrimmage with 17.

A possible Dick Butkus Award candidate this season, McCoy should once again be on the prowl .

The other Cougars chosen for All-SWC recognition are Sherman Smith (wide receiver), Darrell Clapp (offensive line) and John W. Brown (defensive back).

The Texas Longhorns came in third with four players named to this season's preseason team.

Included were sophomore wide receiver Lovell Pinkney and senior linebacker Winfred Tubbs.

Pinkney had an outstanding freshman year last season as he averaged more than 20 yards per catch with 22 receptions for 458 yards.

He returns this season as one of the nation's outstanding sophomore receivers, who will help Texas stretch the defense. "Lovell should attract a lot of attention from defenses," said head coach John Mackovic.

Tubbs led the SWC in tackles last season with 157, including six games in which he had 15 tackles or more.

The other UT players included on the team were Scott Szeredy (kicker) and Van Malone (defensive back).

Two of the three players that the Texas Tech Red Raiders had named to the team should be two of the top offensive players in the nation.

Senior wide receiver and All-America candidate Lloyd Hill returns to Tech as one of the most explosive receivers in the country.

Last season's first-team All-American totaled 1,261 yards in the air with 12 touchdowns on 76 receptions.

Junior running back Byron "Bam" Morris returns to the Raiders with only two returning running backs in the country having had more success last season.

*******************************************************

CAMPUS ACTIVITIES

by Annette Baird

Staff Reporter

Although the main goal of students is obviously to do well in their classes, the Department of Campus Activities has many student groups and activities to offer a respite from academic life.

Organizations as diverse as the Young Black Entrepreneurs, Muslim Students Association, the Whirlwind Society and Perot Volunteers have their roots in the Department of Campus Activities.

With more than 200 registered organizations to choose from, new students may have some difficulty making time for classes this semester.

Academic and professional organizations such as the American Society for Civil Engineers or the Hotel/Restaurant Management Society make up the largest group, said David Daniell, assistant director of Campus Activities.

"Being a member of a professional organization is good for your career options," Daniell added.

By joining an organization, people can make a connection with the university. They have friends for support and they have a better chance of success in their studies, Consuelo Trevino, director of Campus Activities, said.

"You learn about communication skills, leadership skills, working with groups, motivating people and working with a budget. It is great practical experience for the world of work," Trevino said.

Getting involved requires only a visit to the Office of Campus Activities, located in the University Center Underground, and picking up a brochure. The hardest part is choosing what organization to join.

If no organization exists to suit your needs you can start your own.

"You need three currently enrolled students. Come to the orientation. Fill in some paperwork and you can be a registered group in 24 hours," Trevino said.

Of the four fee-funded agencies, the Metropolitan Volunteer Program is the newest. "We try to get students interacting with the community. We have a database where students decide what kind of work they want to do and when they're available," Daniell said.

Cinema, Homecoming and Visual and Performing Arts are some of the committees the Student Program Board has to get students involved.

The Activities Funding Board has $60,000 for the year which they can allocate for activities. A group can apply for up to $1200 to fund projects, provided they set up a well thought-out plan, Trevino said.

With a full-time professional staff, the department offers advice on university policies and procedures, funding sources, and campus resources, Trevino said.

The Activities Mart, scheduled to be held Sept. 15, will showcase 30-40 organizations. Students and faculty can drop by and visit with representatives.

GOOD TYMZ

With hip-hop music picking up across the country, many local acts are getting attention. Bands like the Geto Boys made a national splash, so more hip-hoppers are coming up to make their voices known.

Witness Tymz Tu. The relatively new band released to some acclaim its debut, a four-song EP called <I>Tymz Up<P>, on 2 Da Crib Records. Claiming a interesting pedigree, the band–consisting of Da Riime Skii and Mr. Popsie–has been jobbing at small gigs around the city with the big break on the brain.

Behind the band are managers who said they’ve seen plenty of artists get the short end of the stick and want to teach their charges something about the music business.

Richardo Edwards and Dwight Gregory founded 2 Da Crib Records three years ago and, although having a stable of artists as far away as New York in the fold, are putting their efforts into the band they hope will grow out of Houston.

"Rap has gained a degree of respectability because the major labels know there is money to be made," Gregory said. "The major labels are now taking a step back and signing fewer artists, but the initiative goes to independent labels to make sure the music gets out."

Gregory chalked up fewer signings to a tight economy and having less money to produce and promote new artists. Here, independent labels and local acts fill the void by being willing to bankroll small efforts in hopes of getting the majors' attentions.

"People are watching Houston with the feeling that this city going to get bigger in terms of rap," Gregory said. "As more talent comes up, we’ll see things start to grow."

Tymz Tu got started when Edwards, referred to Da Riime Skii by a friend, and Gregory, who knew Popsie as a dancer in another band he managed, introduced the pair. Panama-born Da Riime Skii, son of a military father, and Popsie, a native of Third Ward, clicked. With that, they began writing raps.

"A lot of rap is written about how and where you grew up," Popsie said. "I grew up around gangsters, but I didn't live that way because my family kept me out, so we just write from the heart."

Despite a small label and a relatively anonymous release, Tymz Tu has enjoyed airplay on independent hip-hop radio shows on KPFT and KTRU, has <I>Tymz Up<P> in a number of major retail outlets, and performed at Hoi Polloi's Thursday night Hip-Hop Coffee Shop and the Hip-Hop Soul Shack. Edwards said the band expects to be get on KMJQ’s playlist in the not-too-distant future.

"It’s still really hard to get (local artists) on commercial radio, and even when you do get on you have to make sure people call up and request the music," said Edwards, who met with stations to introduce the band. "I have to give props to the community and college stations, who don’t have a large following, but are very tight."

Popsie agreed: "I think too much music gets played every hour, while you don't ever hear local artists," he said. "It's harder to build support without that airplay."

Making Houston rap's road to riches tougher as well is a lack of knowledge about the music industry, Edwards said. "A lot of people expect that all you have to do is release a tape and that's it," he said. "You have to be aggressive and knock on doors and work at it."

Unscrupulous individuals may also take advantage of this idealism, Edwards added. "I've seen plenty of people get cheated by their managers and companies and clubs," he said. "You need to be careful about the kind of people you're working with–and that you read all the papers you sign."

Popsie said that his trust in his handlers goes part and parcel with building a solid base, reasoning that trustworthy people help instill professionalism and a work ethic in artists.

Band enthusiasm is another prerequisite to staying power, Da Riime Skii said. "You have to want it and have that urge," he said. "If you work at it, success will come to you."

Tymz Tu is tentatively scheduled to go into the studio again in January to record its full-length record for 2 Da Crib. Until then, Da Riime Skii and Popsie said that they'll continue writing, performing and looking to build an audience for the band.

Meanwhile, Edwards and Gregory will be promoting the band and its EP as well as teaching the pair a few things. "We want to show them the ins and outs of what's going on in the industry," Edwards said. "If they can come away knowing the industry, then we've done our job."

FASHION FORECAST PREDICTS A SEASON OF CHOKERS, BOOTS

by Rashda Khan

This fall promises new friends and fresh beginnings for many at the university.

An integral part of all this excitement is the fall wardrobe.

There are various styles from which to choose. Almost all clothing retailers are having back to school sales and promoting similar styles.

The stores are well stocked with frilly white poets' blouses in all kinds of materials. Ultra-feminine.

Crocheted vests and tunics are the rage this fall. The lengths vary from the short, cropped ones to nearly ankle-length designs. They look pretty neat if paired with nice contrasting separates.

The pants department has brought back bell bottoms–a veritable bane for short girls. Striped colorful leggings are also in style. In other words, the '60s retro hippie, flower child look is here to stay.

Long jackets and coats are in demand. Glitzy brocades. Military looks.

Janice Ewing, an English major, splurged most of her clothes budget on one smart, expensive jacket. She says, "It was expensive, but I liked it too much. To make up for it, I'll probably end up wearing it every day."

The classic coupling of a white shirt and blue jeans is still considered a fashion staple. Fashion gurus the world over have pronounced the white shirt a must for anyone's fall wardrobe. Any design. Any material.

Houston temperatures are hitting the 100s. This weather factor dictates shorts as a fashion necessity on student's lists. Colored denim shorts are a strong favorite, as are short, flouncy mini skirts made of cotton and silk.

This is the year of the boot. From tough, black combat types to delicate lace-ups to ankle length shoe-boots to thigh-high numbers. Chunky '70s-style platform shoes and Birkenstocks are also favorites on campus.

In the accessories department, less is better. Small earrings and bead necklaces. Choker necklaces are the favorites, especially single pendants on black velvet ribbons or black cords.

Stephanie Bencze, a biology major, decided to make her own. "I went to the Bead Shop in the village and got this really interesting dragon pendant. Making your own gives you more choice. The shops usually have crosses, ankhs, suns–typical designs."

At the beginning of each semester, all students are well prepared to plunge into school life again. Armed with books, expectations and their own personalized fall styles. By the end of each semester, most are back to the traditional college dress code of loose T-shirts and faded jeans.

ROLLER BLADERS SLICING CITY PAVEMENTS

by Annette Baird

With fall just around the corner and hopefully the cooler weather, In-Line skating is an ideal way to enjoy the outdoors, stay in shape and, with a bit of practice, look really cool.

In-Line skating, popularly known as rollerblading, is fast becoming the sport of the '90s Kelly Hawker, a certified In-Line skating instructor at Sun & Ski Sports says. "(Skating) hasn't peaked yet," Hawker says.

Donning my out-of-date, three-year-old skates, and venturing out of the groove I've worn in my neighborhood, I set out to find the best places to skate in Houston.

Kevin Prins, assistant manager at Sun Ski & Sport, and just about everyone else I asked sent me in the direction of the Picnic Loop in Memorial Park.

The loop is 1.2 miles and is closed for cyclists and skaters in the evenings and at weekends. I made the mistake of going late morning earlier on in the summer. It was hot. The place was devoid of skaters but busy with lone men sitting in their cars under shady spots. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Downtown is a lot of fun in the evenings and weekends. There's a large skating community with all sorts of people-- kids, adults, families," says Al Brammer of Windsurfing Gale.

The area around the Wortham Center and the Houston Library is popular because of the wide open sidewalks and smooth concrete, plus the area is more patrolled, Brammer says.

Party on the Plaza in downtown Houston on Thursday evenings draws several skaters, Brammer says. Also on Thursday evenings you can pick up a hockey game in the parking lot of the George R. Brown convention center, Brammer added.

The Brewery Tap, a downtown pub, allows drinking and skating. "We get real busy with skaters, especially on Friday and Saturday evenings," bartender Scott Munroe, says.

Cullen Park on Barker Cypress off Interstate 10 has paved trails around the baseball park and the velodrome. One trail goes all the way back to Highway 6. Watch out for the snakes, I spied what was probably a Water Moccasin laying a little too close to the path.

Jody Wood, a land locator, recommended the Woodlands. "Trails run through the golf course and in and out of the trees and around the lake," Wood says.

Increasingly popular is the Seawall at Galveston. For the uninitiated, however, the Seawall feels a little precarious with the on-coming traffic to one side and the rocks laying menacingly below on the other side.

River Oaks with its newly-paved roads, Allen Parkway Bayou and Braes Bayou make for smooth skating, Brammer says.

Sun Ski & Sport rents out skates, arm and elbow pads for $10 a day. They deduct three days rental ($30) toward purchase of a new pair of skates. Windsurfing Gale charges nine dollars a day with one day's rental towards purchase.

CROATIAN STUDENT OBSERVES SCOURGE OF WAR

The never ending war in former Yugoslavia seems to be in the spotlight in every newspaper and on every broadcast of the daily news.

One can hardly believe how long this war has been going on– over two years now. I guess some may think it's not as bad as the news makes it out to be. Well, I've got news for you, its worse!

This summer, I had a chance to visit Croatia. Born in Split, Croatia in 1973, I remembered the nice, friendly, Southern Adriatic city that always made you feel like you were in a land of heaven. What a surprise. It appeared to me like it was more the land just south of heaven.

The first hint of a change I noticed was on Croatia Airlines. The stewardesses seemed to have plastered smiles on their faces, but their eyes weren't smiling at all. Of course the passengers weren't in the best of moods either. No one talked to anyone and I hardly heard a "thank-you," or a "you're welcome."

I wondered what had happened to that Adriatic friendliness everyone knew.

The happiest group on the plane was a family from the States. They were going on a vacation to Medjugorije in Bosnia-Herzegovina, where the main part of the fighting is occurring. They were all smiles as they practiced the words they knew in Croatian. I arrived in May and stayed there through the middle of June.

In previous visits, this was the peak of tourism. Everyone loved to visit the beautiful Croatian coast with its rocky shores that were decorated with old pine trees. I remember that there is no smell more beautiful than the coalescing of the scent from that crystal blue sea and the old pines. Well, the smell was still there, but the enchantment had somehow been lost.

While visiting my grandmother and aunt, I noticed a dead look in their eyes. The lust for a life in such a beautiful city was gone. Their minds were filled with other thoughts. Perhaps the rise in crime and endless nights spent in the cellar was too much for an 84-year-old lady. Some who lived through the second world war say this war is much worse. I guess my grandmother is one of these people. The more I think about this thought, I realize it must be true.

After all, in WWII, the people of one country weren't fighting their friends, neighbors or relatives. I had even heard of a case where a happily married couple of many years had broken up. The husband just left his wife one day. Why? She was Croatian and he was Serbian.

These things seemed so difficult for me to understand. I thought love was forever. I guess not in war. But, that' is every day life in Croatia.

TRANSITION TO COLLEGE LIFE MADE EASIER BY MANY CAMPUS SERVICES

A new fall semester has begun, opening the doors of the UH campus to freshmen who are in search of a higher education. But the transition for some may be a difficult one.

After all, the campus has more people than some of the cities the students come from. There is also the fact that much time and work has gone into the four long years to get to the top in high school, and now its back to the beginning again.

But there are ways to make this transition easier.

Getting a parking space may be difficult for 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. classes. There is the option of claiming a row in the parking lot and waiting for someone to leave. But there are also the outlying lots, which usually have space. The best way to take care of the parking problem is to 1) come early, 2) go to an outlying lot or, 3) just make your own space and hope the UH parking guys don't find out.

A good place for that morning doughnut and a cup of coffee is the University Center cafeteria.

Here's a chance to wake up and look over those notes before class. They've also got a special mug that gets you cheaper refills throughout the year on your choice of drinks.

If you're missing one or two of your books, the walls and doors around your classroom are a good place to check. Many times, notes are posted for sales of books which can be bought cheaper than when they are bought from the book stores.

A break between classes is always good for lunch and a quick run to the parking lot to move your car to a better spot.

The library is a good spot to go for some peace if studying is on your mind. If it's a nice day, the recently repaired fountain is a nice place to hang out. (Sorry, no swimming allowed.)

Of course, after class, problems always arise.

If a class is too difficult, tutoring might be an option. The learning support services is a good place to start. Also, around the campus there are many papers posted with names and phone numbers for student tutors.

If any other problems arise, the best bet is your academic advisor. However, check the UH catalog which can be considered the UH Bible. (Your advisor will like you a lot better if you don't ask questions the answers to which can be found in the catalog.) If all is lost, the advisors are your best source of information and can be your best friend on campus.

SOAP ADDICTS SATISFYING LUNCHTIME OPERA CRAVINGS

by Marla Crawford

From noon to 1 p.m. in the University Center, 15 or so gather in a small room with books, briefcases and lunches in tow.

Strangers. Uniting for a single purpose. Eager to have their questions answered. Anticipation hangs in the air as the faithful quietly enter and search for a seat.

But this regular meeting isn't listed in the fall schedule. And it can't be found in the course catalogue. There are no grades here or exams. And if you miss a day or two, the others are quick to catch you up. This is the daily viewing of <I>All My Children<P>.

Amid the smell of tuna salad and microwaved leftovers they sit. Some were reluctant to talk and admit they are regular watchers of the soap. Others are more willing to speak up.

Since 1978–that's how long Hilda Arami has been watching. Arami is an office manager in the College of Business. "If I miss it I talk with others," Arami says. "I tape it too. I've got my husband and two kids hooked on it now." She also has a son in Colorado who she writes and gives regular <I>AMC<P> updates to."

"You know how soaps are–they're kind of addicting," Kimberly Wigington says. Wigington, a junior health education major, says she just asks her sister what happened if she misses an AMC day. Her older sister has watched it for a while, so "I know about Greg and Jenny," she says with a hint of pride in her voice.

Most asked say they usually tape it if they miss a day or just ask others to fill them in. There seems to be an abundance of watchers to call on.

What if the VCR breaks? What if it's Friday and you think something big is going to happen, but you have a class? (Cliffhangers occur on Fridays so most watchers don't want to miss a Friday.) Or you are sure that it's going to happen since, on the soaps, the build-up lasts for days, sometimes weeks–What do you do then?

"It was the day that Tad died," Wigington says. "I used to go to Stephen F. Austin and I had astrology lab that day. I skipped and ran across campus to see it. That's the most extreme thing I've ever done," she says.

Some laugh out loud and others offer their opinions to the screen as they watch. A confused latecomer leans over and asks a neighbor the most asked question of the day–"What happened?"

Well, now Tad has come back from the dead a new man. Jack and Laurel are dumping the corpse of her ex-husband that they've wrapped in a Persian rug. Erica is having trouble with the daughter that was a result of her rape twenty-something years before and Derek won't marry Mimi because her baby might not be his. What next?

Tune in tomorrow.

STUDYING FLIES FOR CANCER RESEARCH

University of Houston biology professor Dr. Deborah A. Kimbrell has been awarded a three-year grant totaling $312,000 by the American Cancer Society. Kimbrell will study the immune response and basic biological processes involved in the formation and suppression of cancerous tumors.

Kimbrell's research project "The Immune Response and Tumors of Drosophila" is being supported by the grant in two installments.

Although Kimbrell's study focuses on the immune system of the fruit fly Drosophila, the American Cancer Society will use her research data for human cancer studies. "The Drosophila is a relatively simple immune system with many similarities to higher organisms including humans," Kimbrell explains.

"Insects have a remarkable immune defense system that protects them against bacterial and other types of infections. Central to this defense are blood cells, which function in normal development and in response to infection."

Her basic research on Drosophila has also involved another human connection, the disease leishmaniasis. Infected sand flies transmit the disease and several cases were reported in the U.S. among people returning from the Gulf War.

Prior to coming to UH in 1991, Kimbrell was a visiting scientist of the Swedish Medical Research Council at the University of Stockholm and an American Cancer Society postdoctoral fellow at the University of Cambridge in England.

COACHING SALARIES JUMP $130K

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

UH President James Pickering announced at a news conference that the university reviewed three new top Athletic Department appointees' contracts and gave head basketball coach Alvin Brooks a $50,000 raise.

After the UH System Board of Regents' executive session meeting Wednesday, controversy about Brooks' salary erupted at the June Board meeting when Regent Zinetta Burney voiced her reservations.

Burney said she made remarks regarding Brooks' salary indicating that it (lowering the amount of Brooks' salary from the amount of his predecessor) was "racist."

"It was racist for us. My focus is not if Brooks has been treated fairly or not. He is one of the many. I am concerned about the quality of the treatment of minority women; my foremost concern is the students," Burney said.

Brooks was an assistant coach at UH for seven years and earned $44,000. He was given a $75,000 contract when he was hired in April. His predecessor, Pat Foster, who resigned to take the head coaching job at the University of Nevada, had made $113,645 in his final year at UH.

Brooks said when he was hired as the head coach his primary focus was a secure job, not what the figures were. He said he was happy about his promotion to head coach.

University officials denied that race was a factor saying Foster's salary was the result of his 13 years of head coaching experience.

In response to questions Burney raised, the board asked the university to conduct a thorough review of salary and compensation packages for all three new top Athletic Department appointees: Athletics Director Bill Carr, football head coach Kim Helton and basketball head coach Alvin Brooks.

Pickering said the review showed inconsistencies in performance expectations and categories of compensation.

A review of the national market for Division I basketball coaches resulted in a recognition that Brooks' base salary should be increased to $125,000.

Brooks' new salary package includes the proposed $75,000 base salary, $25,000 incentive pay and a guaranteed $25,000 in market-generated income, which generally comes from deals for endorsements, summer camps and radio and TV programs.

"I am totally comfortable with my package," said Brooks at the news conference.

Under the new proposal, Carr's $12,000 housing allowance was transferred to his base salary for a total guaranteed income package of $122,000. Before the new arrangement his base salary was $110,000.

For coach Helton, the university transferred both the housing allowance and life insurance supplements to his base salary, increasing the salary line from $120,000 to $149,200.

Helton will also be guaranteed a maximum of $120,000 in market-generated income, bringing his total package to $269,200. Helton has 11 years of experience as a top assistant coach in the National Football League.

UH regents will vote on the proposed salaries at a special meeting.

Other new appointees with salary increases in athletics include the replacement for former assistant football coach Tommy Kaiser. Claude Callaway replaced him and receives a salary of $73,200, up from $47,821.

Also replaced was former head trainer Tom Wilson by Michael O'Shea with a salary of $70,000, up from $50,934.

In addition, former assistant football coach James Warren was replaced by Eugene Smith with a salary of $44,000, increased from $39,531.

COUGAR PEP RALLY KICKS OFF FALL SEMESTER

by Edward Duffin

As new and returning students step onto UH's neatly manicured campus for the first time this semester, some students, looking ahead to tests, term papers, and tension, are a little bit nervous.

The Cougar Kick Off is one way to channel that nervous energy. The first and largest pep rally of the fall semester is scheduled to begin Wednesday at 4 p.m. in Lynn Eusan Park.

UH President James Pickering will open the event.

The goal of the kick-off is to give students and faculty the opportunity to mix and mingle.

"It's perfect for relations between students and teachers," said Jason Fuller, president of the Students' Association.

In addition, the event introduces football players and coaches to the rest of the UH body and ushers in the 1993 football season. Fuller estimates attendance this year could surpass 5,000.

The sponsors of the rally, are being cautious not to alienate anyone and have included something for everyone.

Some of the scheduled events include magicians, clowns, face painting and for those with a hearty appetite - mountains of food served by Pizza Hut, Grandy's and ARA Campus Dinning.

Organizers also plan to sell 50 cent draft beer.

Also scheduled to appear are several bands, each with a different flair for music. The bands run the gamut from country and western to rock 'n' roll.

"This event kicks off the academic year as well as the athletic year," said Mike Pede, one of the event organizers.

All students registered for class are eligible to receive one free football ticket to each of the five home games.

The Athletic Department estimates it mailed out the new ticket information to approximately 20,000 priority registered students.

Those who went through regular and late registration can pick up ticket information after Wednesday at the Cougar ticket office.

OPTOMETRY GETS FAMOUS NAME

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

The UH College of Optometry is changing its building's name. The building was renamed in honor of J. Davis Armistead, who is recognized as a champion for the optometry profession in Texas.

"This is truly the crowning glory of my career and for this honor I feel humble and grateful," said Armistead after the Board of Regents' Wednesday's announcement about naming the building after him.

The first request to name the building for Armistead came as a formal resolution with a unanimous vote from the Texas Optometric Association. Since then, more than $1 million has been raised or pledged to the college in his name.

Armistead was appointed to the UH Board of Regents and served from 1971 until 1983. During his tenure on the board, the optometry building was constructed.

He was the president of the Foundation for Education and Research in Vision. He was selected by the university as College Volunteer of the Year in 1992.

Armistead has recently retired as a practicing optometrist in Lubbock.

"He has been a great contributor for the college. He is a real friend of the university," said Jerald W. Strickland, dean of the College of Optometry.

The UH College of Optometry was established in 1952 and completed in 1976. Strickland said the national board scores show the UH optometry students rank at the top at the national board level.

A ceremony to honor the building's new name is scheduled for Sept 11, from 9 to 11 a.m. at the entrance of the optometry building.

Guests for the ceremony include former Governor Preston Smith, Texas State Senator John Montford, UH Board of Regents chairman John Carter, UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt, UH President James Pickering and UH College of Optometry Dean Dr. Strickland.

SUMMER HEATS UP CAMPUS CRIME, ARRESTS

While many UH students were vacationing, campus crime continued.

Crimes spanning from assaults to indecent exposure highlight the hot summer months.

All Felisa Wilson-Swain wanted on July 19 was to register for a fall course. She didn't count on being arrested and charged for assault against the dean of Natural Sciences and Math, John T. Hardy.

In Room 214 of the Science and Research 1 Building at 2:06 p.m., Wilson-Swain handed Hardy an add-drop form with the allegedly forged signature of Dr. Charles Peters, an undergraduate administrator in the math department, according to UHPD reports.

"When she handed to paper to Hardy, he stated his suspicions to her because he had seen the signature before," said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant. "He told her about the consequences of her actions and that (Dr. Peters) was on vacation but the signature would be checked out."

According to police reports, Wilson-Swain said Dr. Peters may not remember signing the form and she ought to get it back.

She then reached for the form, grabbing Hardy's forearms and chest as he resisted, the report said. Wilson-Swain was the victor in the struggle and fled the room with form.

She was later spotted in the Cullen Building and arrested in the parking lot after trying to run and elude police, Durant said.

"She did not have the paper and said she did not know where it was," Lt. Durant said.

In addition to her assault charges, Wilson-Swain was given a student life referral. She could not be reached for comment.

Walking through a parking lot usually doesn't offer much excitement. However, a UH student's routine was drastically altered when she noticed a man nude and masturbating in the car next to hers.

At 7:20 p.m. in lot 6A near Settegast (Residence) Hall, the unnamed student described the man who looked at her, but never spoke, as Middle Eastern, 22- to 25 years old, Durant said.

"She said he had short, curly hair and could not tell his weight or height because he was sitting," he said. "She did not get a license plate, either."

Though UHPD checked the area, the man was gone.

In addition, the Cougar Den, a social spot for students and visitors, turned into a den of pain for one young man in July.

At 3:16 p.m., high school students participating in the Houston Works program were gathered in the Cougar Den.

According to UHPD reports, a young black man tried to snatch a questionnaire from a young Hispanic man. The questionnaire was torn in half and words were exchanged between the two, Durant said.

The Hispanic man was grabbed from behind and a scuffle ensued that became a melee between he and five other young black men.

The Hispanic suffered several blows to his face and sustained minor cuts and bruises with some facial swelling, Durant said.

Only three of the five young men were apprehended. One was released with no charges. A juvenile and 19-year-old Roderick Jenkins were both taken into custody.

Jenkins was arrested and charged with assault and the juvenile was sent to the proper authorities and later released to a relative.

NEW REGENT CHAIR RAISES IRE

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

Several Hispanic leaders on UH's Board of Regents voiced their disgruntled opinions about the appointment of a new female board chairwoman.

At Wednesday's board meeting, the selection of Beth Morian, a 1991 appointee by Gov. Ann Richards, instead of Hispanic Vidal Martinez, a 1989 appointee by then-Gov. Bill Clements, raised questions among the Hispanic leaders.

At the meeting, previous chairman John Cater praised Morian for her "extraordinary leadership" on the board after he announced Morian's appointment as the new chair.

Because Martinez was the vice chair, Hispanic leaders describe Morian's appointment as bypassing Martinez.

"I am disappointed that Martinez did not get the position. He had worked his way up the system," said State Rep. Mario Gallegos, (D-Houston).

Gallegos also said that the university ignored the growing Hispanic population in Houston by not appointing Martinez as chair.

Being a Hispanic member of the State Appropriations Committee, Gallegos had the influence to save UH from losing $24 million in state funding, he added.

In a statement last week, Martinez said that Richards "interjected herself in the nominating process to state her preference, and no one's going to take on the governor."

"(Richards) obviously had reasons she considered more important than historical empowerment," Martinez said. "I'm not bitter — it's the governor's prerogative to select a chair — but it's safe to say that Wednesday wasn't a good day for the Hispanic community."

Richard Levy, director of communications for UH System Administration, said the vice chair is not destined to become the chair because it is not a chair-elect position.

Levy said in 1963, when UH became a public university, the position of vice chair was established. He said the university has had 14 vice chairs and only four of them became chairs.

Morian is the second woman to become a chair after Debbie Hanna, who served as chair during 1986-1988. Hanna was a vice chair previously.

Another vice chair who graduated to a chair was Mack Hannah. He has been the only black chair ever selected and served in 1981-1982.

Morian, a 1986 UT graduate, owns Cockspur Inc., an independent oil and gas producing firm, and presides over Westview Development Inc., an Austin real estate development firm.

Martinez, a 1975 UT graduate who earned a law degree from UH in 1977, is a partner at Swell & Riggs in Houston.

Current regents' who were given new responsibilities are John Moores as vice chair and Zinetta Burney as secretary, replacing Elizabeth L. Ghrist.

EL CID SMOLDERS

Hope springs eternal even if the love has died.

That is the message of <I>El Cid<P>, a re-released 1961 film about the Spanish lord who embodied loyalty and honor, fought diligently on behalf of the common Spaniard and, most importantly, served as an able strategian.

Set in 11th century Spain, the action of this epic film begins as Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar (Charlton Heston)–also known as El Cid–removes a statue of Christ (that is likely hotter than Hades) from burning ruins. Dona Chimene is his love interest (Sophia Loren) in this Anthony Mann-directed wartime film that begins fittingly with composer Miklos Rosza's stirring Malaguena-esque, castanet-laced overture.

All the elements of medieval living are there, in the kingdom–spare living of the peasants contrasted with the opulent lifestyles of the monarchs, chivalric codes, arranged marriages between people who despise each other, jousting matches, sword fights and a reverence for all clergymen and religious icons.

"You don't really understand how love keeps time. Later means sooner," Chimene tells her ladies in waiting. Later, however, after she discovers her beau is responsible for her father's death, Chimene is a portrait of insouciance, grief and plain old ruthlessness.

Wearing black, the mourning daughter forgets the moments Rodrigo held her in his arms and their pending marriage–only her father occupies her thoughts.

Darker moments lay ahead for the citizens of Spain and the nobleman. The dark, overcast heavens become a visual metaphor for the chaotic state of the Spanish monarchy after the death of King Ferdinand.

One subplot of the film involves the struggle for the throne of Spain among three siblings of the deceased monarch–the Infanta Urraca (Genevieve Page), Sancho (Gary Raymond) and Alfonso (John Fraser).

Biblical allusions to leprosy and treatment of lepers are used effectively in the context of the situation. A veil-wearing leper, holding a wooden cross from which a squash hangs, holds forth his hand to receive water. He tells Rodrigo how grateful he is to have met a man that makes kings humble and works on behalf of the common man.

There are other moments in the film where an ostracized, persecuted Rodrigo must confront the fact that he is not respected by all–a young girl in the countryside informs him her hands will be cut off if she tries to help the exiled warrior and Chimene.

Earlier in the film, Rodrigo could be labeled uxorious because he has kept the romantic flames burning for a wife who (prior to the marriage) wants to see his blood spill on the jousting court and hates him with a passion.

Rodrigo engages in several battles–no matter how high the risk–in an attempt to keep Spain out of the hands of the evil Ben Yussuf, a Moor who hopes to seize Spain and the rest of Europe.

Another subplot centers on the Moorish emirs, men grateful to Rodrigo for sparing their lives earlier.

The action sequences–particularly the jousting match–are quite realistic and highly suspenseful. Of course, when Rodrigo fought with Chimene's father and the Champion of Aragon–to prove his virility–he uses two phallic symbols, a sword and jousting stick.

The film has minor weaknesses. Fake, campy horror film-like blood. Such drawn-out scenes as the sword fight scene. As for the characters, the Moors, particularly Yussuf, are cast–like Shakespeare's Othello–as dark, sinister others. Aside from the two-dimensional Moors, Frederic Frank and Phillip Yordan wrote an excellent script.

Mann, who got his first job directing screen tests for <I>Gone With the Wind<P>, is clearly a master of the epic film genre. His direction during battle scenes and control of crowds makes the storybook-format film exciting.

The editing and cinematography work is just phenomenal. Especially the scene in which a calvary–riding alongside a beach under the cover of darkness–approaches a medieval Spanish castle.

Heston and Loren have such strong on-screen chemistry that one wonders why they weren't paired more often. Loren's strong portrayal of the elegant, independent Chimene balances the wartime film. Heston has charm and the stately, larger than life presence that served him so well in the Biblical films.

Together, they prove hope does spring eternal even in the middle of a battle.

<I>El Cid<P> is running at the Landmark Theater.

3-D ART, JEWELRY IN WAIT-AND-SEE HOLDING PATTERN

by Tammy Gamble

With the final UH reshaping plan due out in a few weeks, the departments facing changes or elimination are in a wait-and-see situation.

The Jewelry Department is one of the three 3-D art departments proposed to be phased out in the reshaping plan.

"Most everything is done that could alter his (President Pickering's) position. I do not really know which way it will go," said Val Link, coordinator of the UH Jewelry Department.

The 3-D arts program, which also includes the Sculpture and Ceramics departments, have fought back against the proposal with petitions, letters from supporters and a parade. The letters are still coming in, Link said.

The art parade held a couple weeks ago drew a good response from the community and created public awareness for the three departments current situation, Link said. The event included art cars, speakers and demonstrations, he said.

Martin Adams, the head of the Communication Disorders program and the director of the Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic, said he met with President Pickering at the beginning of the summer and Pickering said room could be found for the academic program.

Pickering wanted the Communication Disorders program to look for space off-campus to house the clinic, Adams said.

The department has followed up on housing possibilities, but as of Thursday a low-cost, suitable space had not been found, Adams said.

A meeting is scheduled for Sept. 7 for Adams to report the departments' findings to Pickering. The department will continue to seek out and follow up on leads until the meeting, Adams said.

"I do not know how President Pickering will respond to the news," Adams said.

Adams also said having the clinic off-campus would create some logistical problems since the students use the clinic as a lab to accompany their classes.

Betty Green, assistant to President Pickering, said as of Thursday, the president had received 32 letters and three petitions with a total of 388 signatures in support of the departments proposed to be eliminated. The letters have been responded to by the president, Green said.

Green added that the individual departments had received letters and copies had been sent to the president. No count was available on the number of letters received from the individual departments.

The final reshaping plan was originally scheduled for completion before the beginning of the fall semester; however, the final document will not be available for a few weeks.

CAREER CENTER GETS NEW METHODS TO AID JOB SEARCH

A decrease in on-campus job recruitment and internship availability has led the Career Planning and Placement Center to implement new methods of counseling and job placement.

The 1993 summary of services report for the CPPC showed a 19 percent decrease in the number of employer recruitment visits to UH and a 27 percent decrease in internship opportunities.

Chris Li, associate director for the CPPC, said the decrease in employer recruitment on campus is not an accurate picture of the current job situation.

"Many large corporations are down-sizing and not hiring right now. These larger corporations are what make up a large part of our on-campus employer recruitment," said Li.

Li said the strongest hiring needs are coming from the small to mid-size companies, and these companies generally do not conduct on-campus recruitment.

One service the Center offers is JoBank. This system is a database that keeps a current listing of available part-time, full-time, degree and non-degree positions.

In addition to this system, the center will be installing a new microfiche database this fall called Help Wanted USA. The database will have 100,000 new job openings across the country every week.

The CPPC will also have a system called Companies International, which will contain background information on 200,000 companies worldwide.

Students wishing to use this service must take a seminar to familiarize themselves with the system.

"Many companies are starting to use our JoBank program more than conducting interviews here at UH because it is less expensive," said Li.

All six counselors at the CPPC are responsible for contacting 50 new companies every summer to make them aware of the JoBank system and internship programs.

"Many companies are unaware of our services, especially the internship programs," said Evelyn Howse, job development specialist for the center.

This lack of knowledge about the job search programs has led to a decrease in requests by employers for certain majors:

• chemical engineering down 88 percent

• accounting down 18 percent

• social science majors down 35 percent.

Even with the amount of job openings listed in JoBank, students still have some problems.

"JoBank did help me find a part-time position, but I found a lot of the job descriptions to be misleading. Plus, the seminar everyone is required to take to use JoBank is really unnecessary. The system is not that complicated," said Jill Bily, a graduate student in business.

Brooke Thompson, a UH alumnus with an accounting degree, also felt JoBank has room for improvement.

"The system's OK, but they need more job listings and some of the job descriptions are deceiving," said Thompson.

According to Howse, 100 of the most progressive companies in Houston were contacted and 70 of them were receptive to enlisting the center's recruiting services.

"The response we received from these companies was excellent and unexpected," said Howse.

Despite the problems with JoBank and the percentage decreases, the number of students using the center has increased 11 percent over the last year.

The increase in student participation has led the center's counselors to move away from the one-on-one session and into the area of job-search workshops, videos, seminars and general literature.

"We feel these new methods of training people to look for jobs will have more of an impact and reach a greater number of people than personal counseling," said Li.

Some of the seminars and classes being offered this fall are resume writing, job search workshops, campus recruitment and interviewing skills. For more information, call the center at 743-5100.

HEAR CHARLES BUKOWSKI ON THE RUN

by Melissa b. Brady

Daily Cougar staff

Charles Bukowski, a poet for the counterculture feeding on realism and brutal honesty, recently recorded samples of his works on tape.

Entitled<I>Run with the Hunted<P>, Bukowski"s new release is the first and only time his poems and short stories have been available in this fashion. Readers should be pleased.

Some of Mr. Bukowski's readers include hotel lounge piano players, alcoholics, trailer park inhabitants, prostitutes, crevices of sidewalks, New York artists, Hollywood's mindlessly indoctrinated players, and students from all over the country who have dealt with the darker side of post pubescent hell. I like to know that, <I>even on occasion<P>,the towering mecca of New York publishers will release material that doesn't just cater to the "Madison County" crowd.

<I>Run with the Hunted<P> is a 60-minute audio anthology of his previous works. Excerpts range from his childhood in Germany (while under an interesting table cloth at the age of three), to a recent stint in Hollywood while filming <I>Barfly<P>, for which he wrote the screenplay.

Poems and short stories include "consummation of grief," "Less Delicate Than the Locust," "The soldier, the Wife, and the Bum," "we ain't got no money, honey, but we got rain" and "are you drinking?" Read by Bukowski himself, the works take on greater magnitude from the intensity of his soft, almost calm, voice.This surprised me as a reader of his books, because his cutting sarcasm had made me envision his voice to be harshly worn and raspy.

One of the best from the tape is "The Genius of the Crowd." "Beware the average man and average women/beware their love/their love is average seeks average," Bukowski says in "The Genius of the Crowd."

"But there is genius in their hatred/enough to kill you–to kill anybody... Not being able to create art, they will not understand art/ they will consider their failures as creators/ only failures of the world... Not being able to love fully/ they will believe your love incomplete...And they will hate you...And their hatred will be perfect/ like a shinning diamond/ like a knife/ like a mountain/ like a tiger /like hemlock/ Their finest art."

Stunning.

Bukowski's short stories, like his poetry, also deserve comment. "Less Delicate Than the Locust," a short story appearing on side two of the tape, is a raw analysis of two painters, Bjorg and George, who "starved together but now were becoming famous separately."

The story depicts a typical afternoon of the two stylish artists while they patronize a restaurant for five bottles of wine ("rotgut") and women gawking. If you have ever dreamt about walking out of a restaurant without paying and then beating up on the waiter, you'll like this one also.

Pick up <I>Run With the Hunted<P>. Charles Bukowski is one of the most insightful and hardened writers living today. Treat yourself to an earful of his sane poetry, or one of his other 45 books. The misanthropic element of your brain will no longer go on fasting.

STAR-CROSSED LOVE

by shane patrick boyle

Love sucks. Particularly when the one you are madly in love with is not even interested in you. Particularly when that person is interested in someone else.

Unreciprocated affection, in assorted permutations, is the theme at the heart of Albert Innaurato's play <I>Gemini<P> now playing at Curtains, presented by The Company We Keep.

You see Judy (Amy Warren) really loves her boyfriend, Francis Geminiani (Christopher Patton). However, he's secretly interested in someone else.

The conflict begins when Judy and her brother Randy (Kyle Pierson), a college friend of Francis, pay Francis a surprise visit for his birthday (He's a Gemini in case you couldn't guess).

Rather than expressing delight at the surprise, Francis asks them to leave and is very mysterious about his reason.

Okay, if you haven't figured it out yet, Francis is gay, but I won't spoil it by telling you how Randy reacts to finding out he's competition for his sister. Let's just say there may or not be a brief nude scene.

The play's situation humor is further garnished with interactions between the main characters and Francis's family and neighbors.

A subplot involves an alcoholic, attention-starved neighbor who desperately desires tp have someone care about her and her hyper-active, asthmatic son who has the same dream. Each fantasizes that Randy's visit will somehow provide an opportunity to fill this gap.

This is no triangle, it's a connect-the-dots exercise.

The setting is a ghetto in South Philadelphia, and the time is 1972, one year before the American Psychiatric Association stopped classifying homosexuality as a disorder. This fact is reflected in the characters' attitudes and makes Francis' situation even more difficult than it would be today

This production of <I>Gemini<P> marks the debut of The Company We Keep. The Company, founded by Lee Harrington and Mario Durham is dedicated to presenting gay-positive messages through performing arts. The Company, however, is not composed entirely of gay members.

With <I>Gemini<P> they are off to a good start at presenting plays that are not only gay-positive, but also entertaining for gay and non-gay audiences alike.

If The Company We Keep keeps up the good work, they will go far.

The directors and cast do a commendable job turning a good script into a great play.

Three UH students are among the many talented people who make the play a success.

The leading men are sophomore Christopher Patton and Freshman Kyle Pierson.

The assistant director Travis Jon Mader is a Cougar alumnus. Mader is a veteran of the playwriting workshop led by Pulitzer-winner Edward Albee, and is a former director for UH's Houston Suitcase Theatre.

So, whether you have gay pride or Cougar pride or just enjoy a good play, come out to Curtains for The Company We Keep's production of <I>Gemini<P>. Showtime is 8 p.m. Thursday - Sunday. For ticket information call 523-9000.

PERFORMING ARTS SCHEDULE PROMISES DIVERSITY

by Manuel Esparza

If one had to use a single word to describe Houston, that word would be diversity. Its description goes beyond the geographical and ethnic, spreading into tastes and preferences.

Houston is fortunate that it has the Society For The Performing Arts, whose main goal is to sate the city's different thirsts.

What are they at the SPA bringing? Seven dance companies, three soloists, two orchestras, several specialty acts, and a kitchen sink somewhere. Impressive? It should be. Most of the acts are world respected and getting them to perform here is not only a coup, but also a treat.

The number of dance troupes coming this season is not overkill, but a mind opener, displaying the differing styles, emphases and directions that move dance. As the final performers of the season, The Royal Ballet from London,will perform their version of <I>The Sleeping Beauty<P> for three shows April 29, 30 and May 1. Since this is a new production of the classic tale, the show should have us all believing in fairy godmothers. Blending ballet with Spanish and Latin American dance both modern and classical is the Ballet Hispanico of New York. They will be here March 11 and 12.

The modern/street dance troupes are of international recognition. The Paul Taylor Dance company is strictly a modern dance company with Taylor himself doing the choreography. The Hubbard Street Dance Chicago has a more jazz and show orientation with a firm ballet foundation.

There will be two Texas troupes coming together, the Dallas Black Dance Theatre, and Austin's Sharir Dance Company. The Paul Taylor Dance Company will perform March 19, the Hubbard Street Dance Oct. 30, and the Texas double show will be on Feb. 11.

For those whose ears haven't been blown by personal stereos, two virtuosos will perform one night each. Rising star and king of the keyboard, Tzimon Barto will play a varied selection of music that ought to amaze even the staunchest "I can do that" cynics. Go see him Oct. 9. Sophie-Anne Mutter makes her Houston debut March 9. Protoge of the late Maestro Herbert von Karajan, Mutter is a violinist with few peers.

There will be one more soloist performing. Diamanda Galás is a vocalist with an incredible three and a half octave range (most people scale at one octave). Her material is not for the timid; Galás' most famous work is the <I>Plague Mass<P>, which addresses the AIDS crisis and her newest release, <I>Vena Cava<P>. explores dementia. Galás' "Judgement Day" performance here will feature compositions from both works. She will hit Oct. 22. DiverseWorks is co-sponsoring the event.

If laughter is the best medicine, SPA will give out three booster shots. Spalding Gray will find his way back to Houston with yet another of his incisive insights. this time He will give his monologue on his recent eye surgery and the pursuance of life liberty and quest for a good shamen. Sesame Street fans rejoice! Fred Garbo, the man who is Barkley the Dog, is coming as The Inflatable Man. His hysterical performance filled with juggling and metamorphising into other shapes. Joining him will be Brazillian ballerina Daielma Santos. On thier <I>Juggle and Hyde<P> tour are The Flying Karamozov Brothers. With a distinguished twenty year history the 'brothers' are verbally and visually funny. Grey is in Houston on tax day, Garbo on the ides of January, and The Flying Karamazov Brothers perform Oct. 3.

Since the world is made up of more than just the USA (contain the shock), the SPA fervently searches for the best and most innovative ensambles. Recently they sponsored the Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra and are bringing over two Japanese acts and one Korean.

The Asia Society co-presents a night's entertainment of traditional Korean dance and music. Step back in time and step up in class when they perform 18th century court dance and music, which is based on Confucian ideals of beauty and perfection. The <I>Enyul Masked Dance<P> is a folk drama with a lot of comedy. Be there on Oct. 1.

Stark and striking, the Sankai Juku from Japan are a contemporay dance/theatre ensemble with mesmerizing movements and music. Thier slow deliberate style combined with shaven heads and bodies painted with white rice powder are guaranteed to create lasting images.

Imagine a 900-pound drum carved from a single tree, requiring two men in tremendous physical condition to produce the drum's deep rich resonance. Think about your heart trying to syncronize with the drum's rythm. The KODO Drummers will make this a reality in an amazing percusion performance. They will be here Jan. 29, but get tickets early. This one sells out fast.

All shows will either be at the Wortham Center or at Jones Hall. Remember students can get half price tickets at the box office on the day of the performance by showing a valid student ID. What more could you ask for?

ADD E, F AND G TO MULTIPLE CHOICE OF ROCK & ROLL

by Andrew Nicolaou

It seems clear that the music which garners the most praise and enjoys the most longevity is that which is plainly unpretentious in its aspirations and easily identifiable as an unfiltered extension of its creators' ideas and emotions.

This is doubly true in rock music. While there are certainly some exceptions, the classic rock & roll song is most likely a simplistic, three-minute chronicle about:

A.) A healthy dose of rebellion;

B.) A fast car;

C.) A failed love affair;

D.) Just how much life really does suck.

More importantly, the song is always honest.

When you get right down to it, there just isn't too much basic rock & roll music being released in an ocean where 24-track digital hi-fi masterpieces laden with dust, scam and–dare I say it–"grunge," are being devoured by sharks sporting flannel shirts, Doc Martens and numerous piercings in some sort of twisted feeding frenzy.

Of course, when sharks enter a feeding frenzy, they're very likely to get so excited that they end up biting the hell out of anything that even remotely resembles prey, resulting in an abundance of self-inflicted injuries.

Thankfully, the last four months have seen releases by several bands that have dared to place emphasis on rock & roll, not hype: The Ne'er Do Wells, Supercharger and Jack O' Fire. While the sound of any of these bands is distinct from that of the other two, all three most definitely possess a poorly concealed fondness for the rock & roll of the past.

Arcata, California's Ne'er Do Wells recently released its debut seven-inch on Lookout Records, <I>Hello, It Is I, Thee Intolerable Bastard, Child Genius<P>. Upon first listen, it instantly becomes obvious that this is no typical Lookout release.

There's no popcore to be found here. Rather, the record is a raucous medley of 1960s-derived surf instrumentals, including the Shatners' "Johnny Wobble," and quirky original pop ditties like "Because," a song that's instantly hummable. It fits perfectly on the seven-inch as a cheesy yet by no means un-keen love song.

It's hard to imagine the Ne'er Do Wells listening to anything recorded in the last 20 years, save a hint of Chicago's Coctails and Canada's Shadowy Men on A Shadowy Planet.

Supercharger shares the Ne'er Do Wells' 1960s nostalgia. but copes with the loss of the music the band loves in a completely different manner.

Upon catching the first strains of "Super X," the opening track of the band's second Estrus Records' long player, you can't help but wonder what is wrong. Surely something must be–flat guitar chords scream out at you every so often, whoever's singing is not doing a particularly impressive job, and it seems like the only thing readily audible in the muddy mix are the cymbals.

After a couple of listens, the goals of Supercharger become apparent, as does the frightening fact that the trio is more fun to listen to than most bands who know how to play their instruments. Supercharger takes to Do-It-Yourself ethic to the limit.

The band is so obviously having fun banging out two-chord originals, along with the Rezilos' "Mystery Action," that the group makes it work. It's startlingly obvious that the energy Supercharger laid down on its album (recorded on a crazily invigorating four-track) pushes it beyond legions of its peers.

While Supercharger and he Ne'er Do Wells seem to dredge up inspiration (and obscure covers) primarily from the 1960s, Austin band Jack O' Fire's frontman Walter Daniels is quick to point out in concert that he and his bandmates play only songs by "dead people and British people." Furthermore, Daniels says, the only respectable British performer is the super-prolific garage hero Billy Childish.

Simply put, the band–which features Daniels' mind-blowing harmonica playing, a peppy stand-up bass and the guitar playing of the legendary Tim Kern, who put in time with such groups as the Big Boys–plays blues. With their debut seven-inch on Austin's Undone label, <I>Bring Me The Head of John Spencer<P>, the quartet puts their touch on Chester Burnet's "Asked for Water," Blind Willie McTell's "Meet Your Death" and,surprisingly enough, Joy Division's "No Love Lost," complete with Hammond organ accompaniment.

Jack O' Fire shoves listeners' faces into the dirt and won't let go until they acknowledge the debt that good rock & roll owes to the simplicity of the blues. If long, wanking guitar solos are your cup of tea, though, you should search elsewhere. The only solos you'll hear on a Jack O' Fire record are taken on Daniels' mouth here.

This trio of bands serve to bring hope to those so jaded by the current glut of refuse being shoveled down the throats of the masses by such a large number of labels that one might think that rock & roll was dead.

No, rock & roll's not dead, but it certainly is hiding. If you search long enough though, evidence of its continued vigor, as proven by these bands, <I>will<P> turn up.