ROSENQUIST EXHIBIT BREAKS BOUNDARIES

Compiled from staff reports

Even if you live on campus, and have no transportation, you can still venture out to art openings, because there is an art gallery right here on campus.

On Fri. Sept. 10 from 7 to 9 p.m., catch the opening of James Rosenquist's <I>Time Dust: Complete Graphics, 1962-1992<P>, an exhibit of the veteran printmaker's works.

For over 30 years, Rosenquist has crafted among the finest in prints. Like Roy Lichenstein, Robert Rauschenberg and Andy Warhol, he was associated with the Pop Art movement of the 1960s. Using pop culture icons, Rosenquist challenges the boundaries of scale and his perception.

During the 1970s, Rosenquist fueled the American lithography renaissance in concert with master printers in a variety of workshops, including Petersburg Press, and Mourlot New York.

It was in the 1980s that he developed the cross-hatch technique which dominated his art in that period.

Drawing upon his experience as a billboard artist working over such landmarks as Times Square, Rosenquist translated such experiences into graphics of many sizes and tearing down traditional techniques.

The exhibit includes works from his 1960s' works as well as his more recent lithograph/collages. Works come from the artist's own collection and those of the printers with whom he has collaborated over the years, including Styria Studios, Gemini GEL, the University of South Carolina's Graphicstudios and Tyler Graphics.

Some are the massive paintings, similar to 1973-74's autobiographical <I>Off the Continental Divide<P>, grasp at potentially explosive images and emotions. not only is the art enormous in size, but it is enormous in depth.

Rosenquist's quintessential images–newspaper and magazine clippings used to generate strange juxtapositions of people and objects–are taken from the artist's own "Archive of Paraphernalia." Whether it's bizarre combinations of legs, lips and noses or restrained contortions of confusion, the art is always unpredictable.

Schedule some time in your busy schedule to come to the opening or plan on stopping by the gallery (located in the Fine Arts Building) during the show's run, until Oct. 31. It's sure to be worth the walk.

*******************************************************

NEW EATERIES GREAT FOR A CHEAP EAT

by Debora K. Dayyani

Where can you eat lunch today that won't cost the same amount as a used book at the bookstore? Where can you go to eat that won't take the same amount of time as getting through add/drop? Where can you get a quality product that won't taste like something leftover in the vending machines from last semester?

About now you might be thinking that it sounds great, but you don't have time to leave classes. If you do, you'll lose that parking space six blocks from class.

Well, guess what?. Those signs at the American Cafe really are for Whataburger, Chick-fil-A, and Allegro. ARA Services has provided a major face lift to your lunch dining experience.

UH has the first Whataburger prototype in a college setting. and the services and prices here are the same as those off campus. In addition, it will be the only American Cafe unit serving breakfast. Breakfast entrees are tasty and reasonable in price, ranging from $1.10 to 1.99.

Chick-fil-A offers several chicken sandwiches each under $5, from $2.19-$3.19. Waffle fries are irresistible at 99 cents.

The salad bar is still the best salad deal in town at $2.85 for a platter and $1.95 for a bowl. Prepared salads, great salad toppings and the wonderful fresh fruit is still available.

In addition to the salad bar, you can now check out the Allegro, which features two different kinds of fresh pasta made daily on the spot. Two of the the four sauces are vegetarian. The cheese sauce will be served daily and the other three sauces will be of a marinara, tomato based or cream sauce type. ARA Services has a total of 17 sauces that will be rotated on a three-week cycle menu.

An entree is in seven ounce portions with six ounces of sauce and garlic bread for $3.50.

Cafe Features is the only food concept from before, although with major changes. Three different entrees are featured daily. Watch for fresh Mahi Mahi, Tuna and chicken speciality dishes. Selection of a fish, chicken and beef entrees are also on hand.

Erich Geiger, the director of food services for The American Cafe explained that the changes are in response to the students need for a quality nutritious product at a good value.

Prices are still too high, with lunch entrees between $4-$5, excluding vegetables. Drink prices are still outrageous ranging 79 cents for small to an oil baron's fortune for large. But the water is still free.

A suggestion to ARA-- how about free refills on tea, and a 25-40 cents charge for drink refills on soft drinks and coffee? Change the cups to a bio-degradeable ones. Why do we have to purchase a Cougar mug in order to get a refill price? Why can't we get refills on those expensive nonbiodegradable, unrecycleable styrofoam cups?

The American Cafe has extended their hours for you poor nights students who have previously been forced into eating semester-old vending machine preservatives for your dinner.

Students can finally have a hamburger or chicken sandwich until 7 pm. Whataburger will be serving from 7 am to 7 pm. Chick-fil-A will be serving from 10:30 am to 7 pm. The Allegro and the Cafe Features will serve from 10:30 am to 2 pm.

Enjoy your lunch!

FORMER COUGAR GETS HEP

by shane patrick boyle

Those of you with a knowledge of the university's history are aware of the many famous people who have attended this institution, such as Patrick Swayzee and Dennis and Randy Quaid. There's also, of course, Dan Rather and Andre Ware. Now it's time to add a name to that list -- Martin Wagner.

Most of you are probably asking "who?" and the few of you who vaguely remember a comic strip he did for this paper in 1986 and 1987 are suddenly feeling old and wondering if you'll ever graduate.

Okay, so maybe his name doesn't stand out. His work certainly does.

Martin Wagner is the creator of <I>Hepcats<P>, one of the best comic books published today, and one of the few that can seriously challenge the notion that comics are just for kids.

<I>Hepcats<P>, self-published by Wagner under the Double Diamond Press imprint, is a series that features slice of life storylines (which will form complete novels as individual issues are combined) with anthropomorphic characters, but it began as a comic strip in The Daily Texan at the University of Texas in Austin between 1987 and 1989. (Okay, so he didn't graduate from here. We can still count him as one of us.)

"(<I>Hepcats<P>) has had quite an evolution," Wagner said. It has developed "from a gag strip to being a series of graphic novels that deal with character."

<I>Snowblind<P>, the graphic novel currently running in the series, is a drama dealing with the buried past of Erica, one of the most popular characters from the strip. It catches up and impacts her present relationship with Arnie, another of the fans' favorites.

In the comics genre, the art and writing are equally important to the story. Wagner excels at both elements of storytelling.

Although <I>Snowblind<P> is dramatic in tone, Wagner said he wants to "touch on a wide range of emotions" while portraying "real life in a realistic fashion." (If you're wondering how he can do this with anthropomorophic characters-- don't call them "funny animals"-- check out the comic.)

His novel makes readers laugh and cry. He has the ability to make his characters seem real -- a rare and much needed talent in this genre.

It may seem <I>Hepcats<P> has made quite a jump but the shift was not entirely unexpected. Wagner dealt with serious issues in the <I>Hepcats<P> daily strips as well -- moments of dramatic relief.

One storyline dealt with Arnie's attempted suicide. Wagner handled this in a way that was simultaneously sensitive and entertaining.

Character was important to Wagner even in those days. Though the readers only spent a few panels a day with the characters, the characters still made lasting impressions.

Anyone reading through the old strips will find characters they can identify with and maybe even fall in love with.

But how can you have the opportunity to read these old strips if you don't know anyone who went UT?

It's easy. The complete daily <I>Hepcats<P> strips are available in the newly published reprint collection, <I>The Collegiate Hepcats<P>. It's available at comic shops, but if you can't find one that has it, just ask them to order it.

The book is the first volume in <I>The Hepcats Reprint Library<P>, and it features all the daily strips including the ones that were in the now-out-of-print <I>YO: The First Hepcats Book<P>. Future editions will collect the novels running in the comic.

Even if the two years of strips were all Wagner included in this book, it would be a bargain at twice the price (only $9.95), but it also includes the first issue of the <I>Hepcats<P> comic.

And that's not all you get for your money. You also get selected reprints from <I>Shasta Says<P> (and not one, but three introductions).

<I>Shasta Says<P> is a campus-oriented humor strip Wagner created while he was still here at UH. It ran in The Daily Cougar. Yes, the same paper you are holding in your hands right now.

That's right. People all over the world can now read a comic strip that pokes fun at our university. If that doesn't fill you with Cougar pride, nothing will.

For students attending UH today, many of these strips will still seem fresh (just think Pickering wherever Van Horn is mentioned).

Reading these, you get the idea that nothing has changed. Budget cuts, for example, were a big issue then and are a big issue now (just think 3-D art programs wherever technology is mentioned).

There is also a storyline involving fundalmentalist students crusading against the Student Video Network's allegedly smutty soap opera, <I>Student Union<P>. This bears a strong resemblance to the recent controversy over the <I>S & M Film Festival<P>. Oh, and incidentally, SVN has a new soap opera starting this semester.

Close readers will even notice the beginning of the KUHF format controversy.

Some former Cougar staffers are included in the strip, and there is even a photo of the 1987 staff.

In one of the introductions, Wagner says "The Cougar had the endearing quality of being staffed entirely by goofballs, and the fact they managed to get a daily paper out at all borders on science fiction." He means this in the nicest way of course.

"I have very fond memories of UH," Wagner, a film student from fall 1984 until spring 1987, said.

His strip, however, was so popular the editor at the time asked him to continue sending it from Austin. He did this for little more than a semester, but quit after the new editor starting pulling his strips.

She didn't want to print anything that couldn't be included in a family newspaper, Wagner said.

One of the pulled strips, which lampoons UHPD, is included in the book.

Wagner said "I wanted to do a <I>Shasta Says<P> book, so I printed 300 damn shirts (to raise money for it)."

This was while he was already at UT, "but still deeply tied to The Cougar," he said.

The book never came out, but he still has a case of shirts left.

His earliest experience at self publishing came from science fiction fanzines.

"I'm not into science fiction much anymore, but the small press angle of publishing a zine was definitely my training ground," Wagner said.

He has come a long way since then, but he is "happy to not be dealing with editors."

He is also publishing reprints of Sam Hurt's <I>Eyebeam<P>, another Texan comic strip now in addition to his own work.

While comics are still largely viewed as a children's enter-tainment medium, Wagner's efforts demonstrate how infinite the genre really is.

Wagner said he wants readers who aren't familiar with comics to know "there is a whole new world of mature comics out there."

"Comics are a very valid art form that is waiting to break out and be recognized," he said.

Whether you've never seen Wagner's work before or you're one of the longtime <I>Shasta Says<P> fans who still haven't graduated yet (don't worry, it's nothing to be ashamed of), check out his early stuff in <I>The Collegiate Hepcats<P> and then take a look at the ongoing <I>Hepcats<P> comic book available at all the good comic shops.

CAMPUS LUNCHES OFFER NEW VARIETY

by Parul Shah

It's 11:59 a.m. Mouths begin to water. Backpacks are filled with books. Mobs gather in front of the several UH eating establishments to satisfy their hungry appetites.

Sounds like an ordinary UH afternoon? Not anymore because students are in for a surprise this fall.

During the summer, Campus Dining Services underwent a grand face lift to contribute to the overall image that UH is trying to create, said Erich Geiger, assistant manager for campus dining services.

Thanks to the two-year-old idea, National Branded Concepts, students will be introduced to a blend of familiar foods and nutrition. The new 1993-94 food service fact sheet is enough to make anyone's mouth water just by the description.

Besides familiar names such as Chick-Fil-A and Whataburger, the University Center's American Cafe will include a new Allegro Station featuring fresh pastas with a choice of sauces. Students will also be treated to a Spud Station, an expanded salad bar, Healthy Choice meals and a new dessert display for those with sweet teeth.

"Lunch is mostly a non-stress time," Geiger said. "We are concerned with maintaining a lively and healthy atmosphere for the student on break.''

The residence halls dining services also have something to offer students.

Moody Towers was completely renovated. Residents will find a Pizza Hut Express station, Blimpie's Sandwiches, Cafe Features and a Grill Works station.

The Quadrangle will offer an all-you-can-eat buffet, a Chinese-style wokery and a deli and salad bar.

In addition to the residence halls, the University Center Satellite also looks like new. It features a Taco Bell, grill works and deli, a salad and potato bar and a Pizza Hut Express.

Students might wonder whether the Cougar cafeterias will begin to resemble Anystreet, USA, surrounded by fast food restaurants.

Not so, according to Campus Dining Services. First of all, Moody Towers will be featuring a World Food Fair where regional foods ranging from Cajun to Turkish entrees will be presented.

Secondly, students will not have to pay like ordinary customers if they use the new Campus Connection card. The card offers reduced prices for breakfast, lunch and dinner and works like a debit card.

Accepted at all campus dining locations, the card includes special promotions, and requires no finance charges or interest fees. Students get to set initial deposits.

Geiger said card holders will save an average of $12.25 weekly assuming regular meals are consumed.

With 24 food-service outlets the campus has come a long way from a decade ago.

"We're optimistic,'' Geiger said. "There is always room for improvement and we have based our plans on long-term thinking."

While 11:59 a.m., as well as breakfast and dinner times, evokes savory thoughts in students' minds this fall, Campus Dining Services will be ready for those cafeteria mobs.

A NEW CROATIA

During my stay in Croatia, I had a chance to see the city of Split. I had been there, but it was five years ago. Now I could really appreciate the culture and history of the city. So I went on a tour.

One thing I found heartbreaking was the graffiti on just about every wall. The history of Split goes a lot farther back than that of the States, but some people just don't appreciate it. I saw war graffiti on the outer walls of churches and historical monuments.

I couldn't imagine why anyone would destroy something of so much value. Most of the museums were closed and boarded up for protection. A lot of the priceless items were sent away for safe keeping. In the churches, only a few things could be seen. As in the case of the museums, many of the churches were covered with boards in hopes of protection.

Even if tourists were to visit Croatia, there isn't much to see. In other parts of Croatia, ancient churches have been burned or bombed. The beautiful "Pearl of the Adriatic," Dubrovnik, an ancient city was viciously attacked. Vukovar, the first harsh reality of the war, has fallen and is now in the hands of the aggressor.

These are only a few of the faces of war. Split was trying to save its priceless history. The tourism was already lost. The only hope was to save the history. So far, luck has shined on the city of Split.

Walking the streets, I noticed many people, sitting and talking and worrying. Jobs are scarce and it seems like money is a luxury. I kept wondering what had happened to the tourist hot spot I once knew. The currency exchange "buros" and tourist offices were empty. People were sitting and smoking and daydreaming about better days.

I spoke to one lady who told me about a young man who had died while fighting. She just about broke down into tears as she told me about the wife and little baby he had left behind. She also said one of her friends was getting married.

"What can I do? I have to give her something from my home. So I gave her a painting. It was hard to part with it. People see my big, beautiful house and assume that I'm rich. I can't eat my house. I bought that house in better times, when the economy was good. Now I work and don't get paid enough money to buy a pair of shoes. The economy is so bad," she says as she tries to hold the tears back.

Just another glimpse into the new Croatia.

One day I went down to a little cafe near the Adriatic Sea for a cup of Turkish coffee with some friends. I was looking at the young people. They appeared old. Conversations quickly turned from school and boyfriends to the war. I couldn't believe how hurt they looked–lost to the world. The cafe, in all, was quite full. If you quickly glanced at it, you'd think it looked warm and inviting. And it was, to a degree.

The waitress was friendly, but something was missing.

Of course, I wanted to do the traditional walk along the sea wall while eating some ice cream. But, my family warned me that even this was dangerous. It turned out that electricity along the Adriatic coast of Croatia is on for only six hours a day.

Buying meat or ice cream or any other goods that need refrigeration may be harmful. With everything freezing and defrosting, the food quickly spoils. It was also very depressing to see the huge department stores of four and five floors in total darkness because of no electricity. It was difficult to see anything, even with the attempt of lighting by candles... Now I hear the coast only has electricity from 9 to 11 p.m. Only two hours of electricity a day. Once again, thanks to the aggressor. Is it really possible the world allows this in the 20th century?

THE GREEKS HAVE THEIR EYES WIDE OPEN

by Tammy Gamble

UH students and the sororities and fraternities are trying to find each other as the annual Greek rush begins on campus.

Greek rush is a time where the UH Greek organizations recruit new members and prospective members preview the groups. UH has three Greek councils, the Houston Collegiate Panhellenic Association, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council,from which students can choose to belong, said Kelly Morgan, an activities advisor.

The HCPA, which consists of six sororities, held their recruitment last week, said Kate Brasko, president of the HCPA.

For the second year in a row, HCPA has held rush the week before fall classes begin. Previously, sorority rush was held the first week of fall classes. The change in rush weeks has been successful, Morgan said. The HCPA had a total of 118 women rush this year -- an increase of 17 percent from last year.

The council made the time change because of the class conflicts and the heavy time involvement during the first week of school, Morgan said. "Having rush the week before school is a nice way for students to come to the university," Morgan said.

The process began Aug. 23 with a Greek orientation meeting. From there, rushees attended parties hosted by each of the groups. The theme parties included games, songs, skits and chapter videos and allowed prospects and members to meet each other, Morgan said.

Saturday, the prospects attended a preference party that the groups and the rushees selected, Morgan said. Rush wraps up on Sunday with bid day, a time where the rushees learn which chapter has selected them, Morgan said.

"Each chapter has its own style of recruiting rushees. The parties are very alive and fun with the week beginning with celebration and then progressing toward a more serious tone by the end of the week," Morgan said.

The structured, formal HCPA rush process is very different from the Interfraternity Council rush, which includes 12 fraternities. The IFC rush began Monday with information tables offering rush guides and event schedules, said John Logan, IFC advisor.

"We want to catch people who missed us in orientation or last year and share information with them about rush," Logan said.

Approximately 225 men expressed interest in fraternity rush during the summer and the IFC expects to have even more interest with the information tables, Logan said.

The focus of the information tables is to get men to attend to the Fraternity Forum, scheduled for 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Sept. 8 outside M.D. Anderson Library, Logan said. The forum will give each fraternity the opportunity to answer questions and share information about their fraternity, Logan said.

Individual fraternity events will continue until Sept. 17 with men choosing which groups and parties to attend. During this time, men will receive bids from chapters interested in recruiting them.

Brasko said the IFC and the HCPA are planning a Pledge Presentation on Sept. 17 for both the councils to present their pledges.

The sorority and fraternity rushes are different in that the individual fraternities recruit members; whereas sororities only promote involvement, Morgan said. The HCPA handles the actual registration of sorority prospects, Morgan said.

The third Greek council on campus, the National Pan-Hellenic Council, does not hold rush until the spring semester. With four sororities and four fraternities, the NPHC is a historically black Greek council. Each chapter has different criteria for membership.

RESHAPING PLAN DELAYED AGAIN

by Kristine Fahrenholz

Despite the fact that answer about programs slated to be cut were promised for this week, UH will not know the fate of academic programs facing cuts, mergers and moves until weeks into the fall semester.

The campus-wide reshaping document will be finished by UH President James Pickering by the end of September. The document was originally slated to be finshed by the end of August.

"There is no definite date set for when the final reshaping document will be out, but I understand that it will be within the next couple of weeks, " said Betty Green, administrative assistant to the president.

When Senate Bill Five passed in May, $8.5 million was cut from UH's budget.

However, the revenue loss will be split up in the budget biennium, said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice-president for planning, meaning that approximately $2 million will be cut in 1994-95 and $5.9 million in 1995-96.

Some of the proposed cuts and mergers by the University Planning and Policy Council, a council formed to make recommendations to Pickering, included: merging the foreign language departments, phasing out the sculpting, jewelry and ceramics; moving the Human Development Lab School, now located in the College of Technology, to another college; merging the biology and biochemistry departments; and moving the speech and hearing clinic located in the School of Communications to another college.

During the spring semester, the UPPC discussed the fate of such programs and made formal recommendations for Pickering's final reshaping document.

No surprises are expected in the final document, said Stephen Huber, who was head of the UPPC in the spring.

Included in the reshaping recommendations were some administrative cuts and revamping of programs.

NO DATING BAN ON CAMPUS BUT LOTS OF CAUTION

Having a crush on a favorite teacher may make great material for situation comedies, but in real life, it's no laughing matter.

Some college professors and stu

dents become involved in an intimate or sexual relationship regardless of the possible consequences, which may include threats of grade tampering or even false claims of sexual harass

ment.

These consequences are at the heart of bans on campuses across the country forbidding such fraternizing. However, UH has not followed the path of campuses such as Oberlin, Stanford, Harvard and Radcliffe and has no policy specifically addressing student-faculty relationships.

The 1992-1994 Faculty Handbook also does not have any spe

cific guidelines on such consensual relationships, though their existence at UH has been acknowledged.

"I wouldn't say it comes up fre

quently, but it does happen and proba

bly more than we (in the Counseling Center) know," said Dr. Ken Waldman, director of Psychological Services and Training.

"There are certain departments in which intimate relationships are pur

ported to occur with some frequency," he said, though he did not wish to re

veal which department.

However, whether or not the uni

versity needs such a policy remains to be seen. And despite an overwhelming reluctancy to speak about the subject, student, faculty and staff opinion on the matter is varied.

Dean of Students William Munson says there should be some sort of policy.

"But just like with any policy, there has to be some sort of enforce

ment mechanism," he said.

However, UH President James Pickering says that a policy on frater

nizing may not necessarily stop it from occurring.

"I don't know if you can legislate human behavior. It's not a good idea," Pickering said. "Just look at the prohi

bition of alcohol. It was the law of the land, but there were still bootleggers."

"I don't think they should (ban faculty-student relationships)," said Casey Clough, a sophomore anthro

pology major. "Students are adults and the university should trust them as adults."

But the smitten should beware that such relationships may be bound for breakup.

Stephen McCary, who teaches Human Sexuality, Marriage and Family and has a private psychology practice, says that such relationships can breed some unusual problems.

"There is the potential for abuse by the professor, or perhaps a student may have motivations (other than af

fection)," McCary said noting that grades may be a factor in the relation

ship.

In comparing faculty-student re

lationships with therapist-patient rela

tionships, McCary said, ethical guide

lines would rule out such intimate rel

ationships.

"There are some boundary issues that need to be dealt with," he said. "Those boundaries need to be clear and distinct."

But some students say personal ethics are not good enough.

"A ban would be a good idea," said Milton May, an 18-year-old sophomore political science major. "But I don't think I would leave it up to personal morals. It's not fair for (a faculty member) to decide to play fa

vorites."

As of the last regular legislative session, there are no bills pending with the Texas Legislature dealing with student-faculty intimate relationships.

BOOKSTORE A CORNERSTONE OF ACADEMIC SUCCESS

by Edward Duffin

The two campus bookstores, Barnes and Noble in the University Center and Rother's Calhoun, are critical links in the chain of academic success.

Both stores sell the essentials such as pencils, study aids, Cougar clothing and of course, textbooks.

When a student makes a textbook purchase, he or she has the option of buying new or used books.

Both types of books have advantages and disadvantages. "I plan to buy used books," said undeclared freshman Ikuseghan Chambers, because she finds the notes written in the texts helpful.

In contrast to Chambers, accounting major Ann Starks believes the written notes often influence the opinions of other students.

Sophomore pre-med and biology major Hieu Bui also plans to buy used books. "I'll buy used books because they are cheaper," said Bui.

The prices for new books may seem high, but Rother's manager Cheryl Dunham said, "Publishers set the prices for for the new books, and the prices should be standard."

At the end of the semester students are able to sell most of their textbooks back to the bookstores.

Barnes and Noble calls this process "buyback." Generally, the book must be in good condition with the covers and all pages intact.

The assistant manager of the Barnes and Noble bookstore, Waleed Alhamra, said, "We'll pay students fifty percent of the selling price."

According to Alhamra,when a student purchases a used book instead of a new book, the student saves approximately twenty-five percent.

The ideal time to sell back texts is during finals.

SURVEY SAYS REGISTRATION NEEDS HELP

A recent survey conducted by a UH class may shed some light on how to relieve the problems students experience when they go through registration.

A telephone survey of 285 randomly chosen UH students was conducted by R. Sukumar’s senior marketing class. The intent of the survey was to determine which areas students found most problematic.

The survey showed registration to be the biggest problem for students. Fee payment, add/drop and financial aid are also areas where students have the most trouble.

Tom Duening, assistant dean for administration and external relations, William Munson, dean of students, and Sharon Richardson, associate vice president for academic management, met with Sukumar's class and explained what type of information was needed.

"We recognize there are problems and that improvements need to be made. We felt the student input acquired from the survey was necessary to determine the areas that need immediate attention," said Richardson.

Sukumar said his class of 55 students formed a focus group and performed mock surveys to determine which questions were the most useful.

Out of all students surveyed, 47 percent have problems with registration. Some of the complaints were the length of time the registration process takes, the fact that more than one visit is necessary to complete registration and class availability.

"The process takes too long and it's hard to obtain the classes needed," said Simon Thomas, a senior biology major.

One step being taken to alleviate some of these problems is the installation of phone registration. UH has purchased the software, completed the scripts and plans to test the program on add/drop for the spring semester.

"After add/drop for the spring semester, we will hopefully have the bugs worked out and institute the program fully for summer 1994 registration," said Duening.

The Students’ Association will also have a table set up in the UC to help students who are having trouble with add/drop and late registration.

Financial aid is another realm where students encounter problems.

"I always have to make duplicate copies of my financial aid records, because most of the time I go down to talk to a counselor they can't find my files," said Scott Firth, a senior finance major.

A majority of this problem stems from lack of adequate staff to handle the number of students receiving financial aid and a poor filing system.

Richardson said the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has been given $114,000 to hire new staff and $200,000 for the installation of a new electronic imaging system to computerize all student files.

A resolution to the class availability problem being considered is making classes large enough to fit a room's seating capacity.

"It's not right to have the amount of the students UH has and not have bigger classes. Nothing is more frustrating than to need a specific class and be told 'sorry, it's closed,' " said Fawad Ali, a sophomore Pharmacy major.

Many students have also expressed a desire to be able to pay their tuition and fees with a credit card.

"If students could pay UH with a credit card, then people can work out their own payment plan with the credit company. UH gets their money and a person can pay off their debt according to their budget," said Viet Ho, a senior biology major.

Richardson said the avenue of students paying with credit cards is being considered, but no final decision has been made.

The Bursar’s Office, Registrar’s Office, the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office and the Students’ Association are working together to solve the problems shown in the survey.

"The original intent of the survey was to get a broad picture of what the problem areas are, and now we can move toward compiling more specific data on what changes need to be made," said Richardson.

Even though UH is making strides to correct these problems, it will be a long time before any changes will be implemented fully.

"In an organization as large as UH, people have to realize change takes time," said Duening.

HUGGING POP'S FRINGES

Squeeze is one of the few bands to come out of the 1980s alive and with its dignity intact, as its newest, <I>Some Fantastic Place<P>, will attest.

Anyone out there wonder whatever happened to Modern English? Men At Work? Men Without Hats? A-ha? Simple Minds? Frankie Goes to Hollywood? Dexy’s Midnight Runners? 1980s’ bands were as disposable as torn sweatshirts and zippered jackets.

Best remembered for the hits "Black Coffee in Bed" and "Tempted," Squeeze actually predated Reaganomics, crafting catchy British pop since 1974. Now decidedly older, the band is growing into its sound–simple, tuneful melodies, understated vocals and jazzy riffs–and seems to be all the better for it.

Returned to the fold is keyboardist Paul Carrack, who sang "Tempted," but hadn't played on a Squeeze release since 1981's <I>East Side Story<P>. A further addition is drummer Pete Thomas, who'd previously gigged with Elvis Costello's band, the Attractions.

<I>Some Fantastic Place<P>, which hits stores in early September, marks a refreshing touch of musicianship, devoid of pretense of being incredibly original but still smart. Squeeze’s key is Glenn Tillbrook’s enduring vocal.

What he doesn’t have in range, Tillbrook makes up for in changing around his vocal just enough to keep the listener curious. Carrack is also swell, lighting up songs like "Loving You Tonight."

Squeeze has not lost its sweet, pub-rock feel. <I>Some Fantastic Place<P> drifts into hypnotic rhythms and engaging songs of complex thought. The instrumentation here brings you in like a tantalizing seduction, rather than jiggling the listener with force.

Standouts in a field of nice music include "True Colors (The Storm)," "Jolly Comes Home" and the forthcoming single, the pleasant "Everything in the World." Squeeze is firmly entrenched in pop, but it certainly isn't bubblegum junk.

The sparkly songs Squeeze pumped out on early releases like <I>Argybargy<P> and <I>Cool for Cats<P> seem recaptured on <I>Place<P>. Perhaps the band's reunion with Carrack, who had initially sauntered off to be a solo artist only to join up with Mike + the Mechanics, is helping stir those creative juices. If so, Tillbrook and co-leader Chris Difford should have asked him back sooner.

<I>Some Fantastic Place<P> is a fine example of what a jazz-pop should be grooving on–a tight rhythm, solid drumming and keen vocals.