IMPROVED ADD-DROP HAS NO CLASS

by Karen Snelling

Most students consider add-drop a perfect setting for "Nightmare on Cougar Street." However, what gets students really flustered is not the add-drop process itself, but rather the lack of open courses.

"Add-drop is very organized, but UH needs more classes for all of the students enrolled,'' said junior psychology major Jennifer Stone.

Closed classes strongly affect students' graduation dates, yet, UH doesn't seem to take the meager number of offered courses seriously enough, she said.

"They let me sign up for a class (at add-drop) and then told me it was closed,'' Stone said.

"I feel sorry for the people coming tomorrow (Wednesday),'' said post baccalaureate engineering student Dave Lorenz. "There's not going to be anything left."

The add-drop system should provide better updated signs announcing closed sections, Lorenz said.

He said after waiting approximately an hour for a supposedly open class, he found it closed although no signs had been posted.

Although around 3,000 add-drop forms were turned in on Monday, many more students came the first day to see what courses were available, said Mario Lucchesi, director of registration and academic records.

Lucchesi said he expects add-drop to become more crowded as the week progresses.

Students should be aware that they can only get classes through add-drop if they've paid their fee bill, Lucchesi said.

"If not paid, students are wasting their time at add-drop,'' he said.

Those who haven't paid must go through late registration on Sept. 2 to become enrolled for the fall, he said.

Compared to last year, those running add-drop are much more strict with details such as checking if forms are filled out correctly, said junior biology major Khanh Phan.

They're also taking close notice not to let people in before their scheduled time, she said.

"In a way it's better because this year it's much more organized," Phan said.

No matter how easy the process, many students still detest the mere idea of add-drop.

"The (add-drop) process is not as bad as last year, but it's still a major pain, said junior biology major Julie Fowler.

*******************************************************

MONKEYS SHOW OFF

by Thomas Hewett

Gazing at the large trees lingering above, Rudy seemed uncertain of his new surroundings. The 300-pound orangutan, residing at the Houston Zoo for 15 years, has received larger living quarters.

"He's a little shy," said Barbara Lester, Curator of Primates and Small Animals. "It's also too hot."

Rudy is one of 13 different species of monkeys and apes featured in a new Houston Zoo exhibit entitled, "Wortham World of Primates." The exhibit is scheduled to open to the general public Sept. 10.

The $6.7 million project is the result of a three-phase, long-range plan initiated and funded by the Zoological Society of Houston in 1977. The exhibit is a 2.2 acre rainforest replica and naturalistic habitat housing 40 of the zoo's 80 primates, including seven endangered species.

"This is an extraordinary exhibit," Win Campbell, president of the Zoological Society said. "This exhibit probably received more broad-based support than any other we've had out here."

The "Wortham World of Primates" is as close to the wild as a zoo can get, said Joan Wicks, Executive Director of the Zoological Society.

"The society has never funded and exhibited something of this magnitude before," Wicks said. "It represents a very exciting beginning for us."

The exhibit will serve as a tool to educate visitors, bringing them eye-to-eye with the endangered animals.

"All the primates are threatened," Lester said. "The whole point of this project is conservation."

"The unique feature of this exhibit is the large amount of space that we have given the primates," she added.

By developing a special environment within the zoo, the exhibit capitalizes on the humid, subtropical climate of the Texas Gulf Coast, zoo officials said. The exhibit features highly diverse plants and colors characteristic of a tropical forest.

"As you all know, it's humid here (in Houston)," Lester said with a chuckle. "But this allows the Houston Zoo to have the animals on view for a much longer time."

According to Wicks, the Houston Zoo is one of the most visited in the nation. The zoo averages 1.4 million visitors a year.

PARKING NO PICNIC FOR FIRST WEEK

Paying less money and walking a little bit further may be the answer to parking problems this semester.

Only the week day of school and students are desperately seeking parking spaces. Parking officers are out patrolling the lots for the first two weeks of the semester trying to re-route students to lots that are less full.

Students coming in before 9 a.m. and after 11 a.m. are more likely to find a spot in the lots closest to school. If students arrive during rush hour, they may run into a "parking enforcer" who will either redirect them to a non-economy lot that is less full, or to an economy lot closest to the building of choice.

"If I have a good parking permit I shouldn't have to park in economy and go through all that trouble. My first two semesters I was so mad. I had the expensive parking permit and I almost never got a spot in the lot I wanted," said Marcella Hayes, a sophomore accounting major.

An answer to the problem? Director of parking and transportation, Gerald Hagen says it may be better for students to downgrade their parking permits to economy status.

"Students are purchasing the more expensive parking permits for lots that are right near their buildings. They should explore all alternatives before they decide what kind of permit they want, said Hagen.

"The new lot (16D) is open and we have expanded the lot across the street from it by 600 spaces. That one is an economy lot. The economy lots were half empty today during our worst rush hour," he said.

Hagen suggested that if a student arrives everyday at 10 a.m., during the big rush hour, they downgrade their parking permit to economy. He said that a student has 21 days into the semester to change their permits.

Shuttles traveling from economy lots run every six to ten minutes.

Sporadic convenience may be the answer for some students.

"If you come in some days at eight and other days at ten than it may be worth it to keep the non-economy permit, which allows you to park in both economy and non-economy lots," said Hagen.

Other students are worried because they have not yet received their parking permits. People without decals will not be towed or ticketed until after September 17.

"We have not gotten out all of the mail yet. It should be getting out in the beginning of next week," said Hagen

Students can still be ticketed during this period for parking in handicap spots and no-parking spaces. All cars parked in fire zones will be towed.

Any student who has not received their permit by September 16 should inquire at the parking and transportation office in the basement of E. Cullen.

DAVE IS STILL DAVE AS USUAL

by Kristine A. Fahrenholz

Well Dave's back and one of the top ten reasons for watching the new improved, but unchanged Late Show is--well-- because he's had more focus since his breakup with NBC.

The premiere aired ll p.m. Monday on channel 11, and the new show wants new ideas since monkey cams, pencil thrashing and Larry Bud Mellman's name can't be used for legal reasons.

But that won't stop Dave. He's looking to the average New Jerseyian for innovative ideas.

"It was a pretty good show, but it was completely the same," said Mark Childs, a postbaccalaureate in pre-med.

"I understand that the producers have something better than the monkey cams planned, " he said.

"It's good, but not $14 million worth, " said Brian Reichard, a senior in hotel and restaurant management.

"The humor is more ad lib than planned out like Jay Leno, " he said.

"Letterman's more resourceful, " he added.

Letterman set the record straight with audiences that he is able to retain his name, Dave.

"Legally, I can continue to call myself Dave," he said.

Tom Brokaw surprised audiences by snatching two cue cards from Dave, claiming that they were the "intellectual property of NBC."

Paul Newman made a cameo appearance, but left to see something more exciting like singing cats.

Since some students study hard and get at least 11 hours of sleep each night, watching the show is difficult.

"It's too late at night, " said David Ball, a postbaccalaureate in mechanical engineering. VCR's can come in handy if time is the problem.

DEPARTURE STIRS STRONG SENTIMENTS

I began a true adventure in Croatia by renting a car.

A simple red Volvo cost us $140 for one day, plus the approximate $4 for a gallon of gas. Pretty steep compared to $29.95 in the States.

After getting the car, we finally drove to our beach house right on the beautiful Adriatic. We made a stop in a small town looking for a place to exchange some currency. To our surprise, the police officers we asked for directions were extremely friendly. At last, I saw a little of the friendly southern charm peeking through.

We saw a monument that depicted a battle scene and wondered what its purpose was. The letters were practically effaced and the monument was in bad condition. We asked the officers who it was dedicated to, and got an under-the-breath, uncomfortable reply.

"Oh, its for the, uh, men of the other war."

Of course, how could anyone honor the many men who died trying to form a united Yugoslavia? Was it really their fault that this war is occurring? Don't they deserve the honor? After all, they did loose their lives for something they believed in – with their hearts and souls.

At last we reached our beach house in a small village. The people had to be their old selves here. Small towns are always friendly – I thought. The change wasn't as drastic, but there was a change. The fishermen were still fishermen going out in their old, wooden boats. They had their complaints about the war also, but their main concern was the lack of fish in the sea.

Each morning, I'd have to get up early if I wanted bread. It's always hard to come by, but a trip to the store, early in the morning, will assure you two loaves. In Croatia, bread is consumed more than it is in the United States. The stores weren't very full–many things were missing.

As for the pharmacy, there were about four shelves with four boxes of medicine on each. There seemed to be no end to inflation. I kept wondering, "what has happened to this country?" After all, these people did not ask for the war. They are victims of aggression and have no say in the matter. It was dropped in their lap and they have to survive.

One day, while I was staying at the beach house, I heard loud gun shots in the distance. The fear crept into me like a wild tiger, and I couldn't think. Only fear kept making my heart beat faster and faster. I convinced myself that it could only be practice.

Then I calmed myself down by realizing that these people live through this day in and day out. They have lived through it and will live through it. But, will they live, I wondered? How can anyone actually LIVE?

That night I went to bed early and just watched the sky – filled with billions of tiny stars. Not 15 minutes would go by without one of those little lights falling down. The moon was full and it shimmered down on the quiet, still water. I couldn't believe that this beautiful place was in the middle of such torment, such hell.

I saw the biggest shooting star I had ever seen in my life that night. I made a wish for peace. Looking back, I wonder, how can anyone believe in shooting stars?

The time for me to leave soon came. I was sad to go. But, I also realized how lucky I was that I could leave. There was something on the road causing a big traffic jam.

We finally started to move and I saw what the reason for the hold up was -- about 50 men, with little blue caps in big white tanks with UN emblazoned in big black letters on the front and side. Somewhere along the line I had lost the indifference to these people. Now I felt a kind of bitterness. Almost a hatred towards them. Why are they here and why the hell aren't they doing anything?

So I got on my plane, flying in that lonely sky and wondering what is to become of the beautiful country I once knew. Is the world going to continue helping the Serbian aggressors by taking a passive role?

How many more millions of dollars will go to the UN for their wonderful job of evacuating people from their homes and sending them to other countries? They have lost their homes, their country, and their identity forever.

A HOT, BLUE SATURDAY IN THE WOODS

by Gary Sapone

Houston has always had a rich history when it comes to the blues. Colorful names like Leadbelly, Lightnin' Hopkins, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, and Juke Boy Bonner have been recognized worldwide for their contributions to the blues heritage.

Last Saturday, Aug. 28, a whole new chapter was added to the book when B.B. King showed up at the Woodlands Pavillion with a veritable army of red hot players.

Before the night was over, this musical menagerie was magically transformed into a royal jam as the king and queen of blues joined together on stage and led the whole army into battle. It was truly a day to remember for those lucky enough to be a part of the action.

The blues marathon began at 3 p.m. with a red hot set from the Alligator All-Stars. The fans responded enthusiastically right from the start, egging the group on to greater heights.

Buddy Guy was next, redefining the word dynamic with a magic all his own. He came out smoking. As the crowd swelled, Buddy Guy was right on time as he whipped the crowd into a frenzy, taking his axe out onto the rain soaked lawn, piercing the thick, air with a barrage of hot blues licks fierce enough to slay any fire-breathing dragon.

Next on the bill was the jester of the court, as the colorfully dressed Eric Johnson jazzed it up a bit. Here was a show of dexterity as the jubilant Johnson juggled a wide assortment of notes into the crisp, early evening air. It was no surprise at all that the notes came down and landed in exactly the right spots. Johnson never strayed too far from the blues, recognizing some of his influences in a song he said was inspired by the late Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Without further ado, it was time for the truly royal performance led by none other than the king of the blues himself, B.B. King.

If there is one thing that can be said of His Royal Highness, it is that he never forgets how he became king. He cuts some of his own musical teeth right here in Houston. Houston Jazz legend Milt Larkin gave B.B. his first touring job. Ever since those days he always seems to have a couple of Houstonians in the band.

King paid special tribute to the Houston based members of the band as he asked for a big Texas hand for the hometown boys. After a hefty applause, he retorted, "Well, that doesn't sound like a Texas hand," bringing on an even more enthusiastic round of applause. It's a stock line when he comes to Houston, but it works just as well every time.

From his powerful voice to his trademark guitar licks, King showed that he's a well-seasoned performer who has what it takes. What sets him apart is his stage presence, as he truly does relate with his audience. He's a man who can combine all elements of a flashy production and then make the audience so comfortable that they feel as if they are at home.

Through all the precision and polish of a well-oiled machine, there is a raw sense of down-home, gutsy blues that reaches into the heart and touches the very soul. The combination of these strange bedfellows results in music with a range and depth all its own. The audience was quite content as they were literally being bathed in the blues.

As if that weren't enough, B. B. King announced that he was going to call out all of his friends for a jam.

On the stage at one time stood Lonnie Brooks, Eric Johnson, Greg Allman, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells with the B. B. King Orchestra. Making it complete, Koko Taylor, the world renowned queen of the blues, adorned the stage for the royal ceremonies.

In the end, it was the audience who got the real royal treatment in an experience that will live on for generations to come.The crowd stood dumbfounded as the crews cleared he stage, because no one could believe what they had just seen and heard.

Although battle-scarred, the crowd was ready to give everything for one last set by the Allman Brothers, who had a temporary replacement in for Dickey Betts. Eight hours after the concert, the crowd was still hollering for more.

For those of you who weren't lucky enough to see the show, <I>Austin City Limits<P> taped the show for TV broadcast. Those of us who made it to the show will live happily ever after, for it's the stuff fairy tales from which made.

SURVEY PAVES WAY FOR CHANGE

In response to a student needs survey, the Enrollment Service Offices are working toward resolving immediate student problems and laying the groundwork for long-term improvements.

The four directors of the Enrollment Service Offices are meeting once every two weeks with Students' Association officers. The purpose of these meetings is to discuss what changes need to be made to correct the problems students are having with this area of UH administration.

"We have completed the broad survey to find the problem areas, now we are trying to obtain specific information in these problem areas," said Sharon Richardson, associate vice president for academic management.

Richardson said a list of what information enrollment services needs has been sent to the marketing department to create more in-depth and specific surveys.

"Certain students have to deal with certain parts of UH, but every student has to go through Enrollment Services every semester. This is why the problems in this area demand our immediate attention," said Students' Association President Jason Fuller.

Currently the Registrar's Office is looking at the problem of class availability. Many students are complaining about not being able to enroll in the classes they need for graduation.

Mario Lucchesi, director of the Registration and Academic Records Office, said his office is analyzing past classes to determine which ones have a higher demand for enrollment.

"We have not made a definite decision, but one of the possibilities we are considering is raising the total number of students allowed in classes with a higher demand," said Lucchesi.

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has also been the target of student complaints. Problems arise in this area because of lost files and poor service.

Peter Bagarozzo, associate director for the Financial Aid Office, said two of the three new customer service positions have been filled. The office has also formed single file line system to help four different students at the same time.

"This is a lot better than the old system where students would just wander in and sign-up for different types of problems and needs.

Now we have specific lines for specific problems and more staff members to attend to those problems," said Bagarozzo.

One of the biggest mysteries facing the Office of Admissions is why students who are accepted to UH do not attend. This problem has led to a 4 percent drop, over the last year, in the number of students being accepted to UH and then enrolling in classes.

Rob Sheinkopf, director of admissions, said they will survey these students who choose not to attend UH after they have been accepted.

Customer service cards have been placed in the admissions office for students to fill out if they have a problem.

The working hours of the office have also been extended from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday. The office will also be open on Saturdays from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. to provide campus tours.

"It's just a constant effort for us to make things better for the students," said Sheinkopf.

Another realm of irritation for students is fee payment. The major complaint is having to stand in line to pay the fees and the length of time it takes for payment to be credited to the actual account.

Phyllis Bradley, UH Bursar, said this problem can be stopped if students would mail their payments or use the drop-boxes.

If a students mail in or place their payment in a drop-box, that payment is picked up the same day by UH's bank, Texas Commerce. The bank calls UH at the end of every business day to update the Bursar's Office as to who has paid their fees.

If a student pays in person the payment has to go through three clerks before it is posted and credited to a student's account. This process takes three to four days.

"Many students are under the misconception that personally dropping their payment off at the cashier's window means their account is immediately credited. This method of personal payment takes longer than if the money was mailed," said Bradley.

A cooperative effort between the four Enrollment Service Offices and the Students' Association is paving the way to a more efficient university, but the process is slow and painful.

"Administration is coming around, but we have to drag them kicking and screaming into a proactive, rather than a reactive, state," said Coy Wheeler, speaker of the Students' Association senate.

HELP WANTED ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY

by Kristine A. Fahrenholz

UH is determined to help students and alumni land jobs by giving students access to help wanted ads from 64 cities.

"We are one of the first universities in the nation to adopt this service, " said David Small, the assistant vice president for student services.

Students can use the free service by presenting their student ID.

Approximately 100,000 new help wanted ads are placed on microfiche from 64 cities, but New York, Los Angeles and Chicago are not included because the ads are available in the library.

"The first day we introduced the service in early August we had a line, " Small said.

"This demand caught us off guard as very little advance publicity had been conducted," he added.

The service has one microfiche machine available to students.

We might have to place a 30 minute time limit on the service because students tend to take as long as two hours on the machine, Small said.

The machine is equipped with a printer so students can copy the ads.

Small added that there are setbacks to searching for jobs in newspapers such as jobs that have already been earmarked.

"Fifty percent of the want ads are open, " he said, " and the other 50 percent are earmarked for someone."

Companies have to advertise the job even if it is earmarked for someone else because of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission standards.

The service averages about 20 students each day.

The service costs UH approximately $250 a year for the newspaper subscriptions, Small said.

The service is available in the Career Planning and Placement Center located in the Student Service Center.

"Approximately 100,000 ads will be received by the Thursday or Friday after the Sunday publication," Small said, "so the jobs will still be current."

STUDENTS EXPRESS CONCERNS

Tuition hikes, funding cutbacks, eliminated academic programs and too much bureaucracy are on the minds of UH students.

Out of fifty students polled, only five gave the usual UH answer, "I really don't know." Most students seemed to be aware of the problems on campus. Out of the 45 students who had opinions, all agreed that controversial issues seem more pressing now than ever before.

"It seems like now during this reshaping, with entire programs being cut, students kind of have to pay attention. If you don't, you may not have classes to attend," said Ronita Lafayette, an undeclared sophomore.

With a serious decline in classes offered during the past summer sessions, and the threat of eliminating three of the eleven art programs offered, thirty of the forty students interviewed agreed that reshaping was one of the three most important issues on campus.

"It is a disgrace that they are going to cut speech disorders. We are important to this school," said Rachel Haygood, a senior communication disorders student.

Other students who are not in the threatened programs agreed with Haygood.

"The French department is a shame. Putting all the languages together in one program looks so bad for the school. Now you call up to find out something about French and they answer the phone 'Spanish department' ," said Michael Sayeg, a senior sociology major.

The other top two issues were funding cutbacks and administrative bureaucracy.

"Bureaucracy in E. Cullen is horrible. The support staff are full of misinformation," said Haygood.

Everything from student evictions in the dorms to freshmen being put on academic probation "by mistake" have happened in the past two semesters.

"They told me I had been dropped from all my classes and I hadn't. Then I thought I couldn't register," said Marlene Beita, a senior sociology major.

As a result of the legislative session in Austin, which just ended, UH lost $8.5 million. Administration has not yet figured out exactly how this will effect the school.

"I don't know a lot about the issues but I know funding is too low. Funding for this school is not as high as it is for other schools," said senior biology major Steve Kramer.

Other students believe they should be more informed by administration.

"A lot of kids don't know where money goes. They (the administrators) have a responsibility to release an accurate listing of expenditures. One that students can understand. We (UH) get grants and we don't know how the money is spent," said Robb McHugh, a senior political science major.

Another topic raised by 10 of the students was tuition hikes. UH is presently facing a tuition increase instituted by the state legislators. The cost will be raised from $24 an hour to $26.

WEARING 2 HATS

It is always best to try things a little bit different whenever they are not going well.

Such is the case with the Houston Cougars offense.

Only three days remain until the Cougars open the season against the Southern California Trojans, and head coach Kim Helton is not satisfied.

"I have not been pleased with the way the offense has practiced," Helton says. "We have receivers who tend to drop passes at times, and we have been very inconsistent in being able to make good decisions on offense."

That is where Allen Aldridge comes in.

Come Saturday afternoon, the senior linebacker will begin playing on both sides of the field for the first time in his UH career.

He will be used as a tight end in the Run-and-Shoot in order for the offense to become more efficient in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

"The change was kind of hard for me at first," Aldridge said. "It was rough playing defense and then getting right back on the field to play offense."

By implementing a tight end into the Run-and-Shoot, coach Helton plans to phase out the offense.

"I want to eventually get away from using the Run-and-Shoot," says Helton. "I feel that it is very important to run a combination of offensive sets."

Why he chose to use Aldridge, however, was a question that was raised immediately.

"Allen could very well be the best player on this football team," he said. "He can run and catch extremely well."

Using the tight end position as a part of the Run-and-Shoot is not new.

In 1990, the Houston Oilers used defensive tackle Ray Childress for the same purpose. The only difference was that head coach Jack Pardee wanted to make the tight end a part of the offense, which is not what Helton has in mind.

The tight end eventually failed for the Oilers after only one game. They thought about giving it another try this season, but Houston waived rookie tight end John Henry Mills, whom they drafted from Vanderbilt.

VOLLEYBALL SQUAD TO TAKE ON 'KATS

It may be early in the semester, but the Houston Cougars volleyball team is already having their first test.

The Cougars open up their season against the Sam Houston State LadyKats in Huntsville tonight at 7.

The Cougars have been ranked in two regarded preseason polls. The team was ranked No. 21 in Volleyball Monthly's poll. In the American Volleyball Coaches Association, the Cougars were No. 25 in the country. Head coach Bill Walton has only two returning starters, senior hitters Lilly Denoon and Ashley Mulkey.

The game will give coach Walton an opportunity to examine his team as they prepare for their season.

"Over the next two weeks, we have some very critical areas that we need to work on," coach Walton said. "We need to improve our overall team setting. By doing this we can avoid excessive tipping which we normally do not do a lot of anyway."

The game against the LadyKats will give the Cougars a chance in a game setting to see how far the team has come since the first practice Aug. 11.

"We had two mottos last year that this season mean more to this year's team," Walton said. "One was 'defense wins games.' That is very true for this team."

"The other motto was 'attitude is everything.' Attitudes will count for 90 percent of September games."

Preseason polls pick the LadyKats to finish in second place in the Southland Conference.

The LadyKats' four returning starters are middle blockers Christi Dreler, Tisha Hopkins, outside hitters Cristie Selfridge and Jana Harless.

Other returning players are setter Julie Franzen, middle blocker Monica Barajas, outside hitters Emily Burdett and Amanda Fontenot.

"We are excited about the 1993 season," said Sam Houston coach Brenda Gray. "We returned an outstanding group of players, plus we had an excellent recruiting year.

"I'm eager to watch these girls play. We have some physical, athletic players who can hit the ball and a nice array of newcomers. This team can go as far as they want to go."

The Cougars lead the all-time series between 11-1. The LadyKat's lone victory was in 1986 at Huntsville with the Sam Houston winning 15-11 in the fifth game.

Last year, the Cougars beat the LadyKats at Hofheinz Pavilion 15-3, 12-15, 15-12 and 15-7.