SALARY WAR

FACULTY UPSET WITH ATHLETIC PAY HIKES

Recent salary jumps in the Athletic Department have caused faculty members to wonder when it is going to be their turn for a raise.

When the Board of Regents met in June to approve the contract for Alvin Brooks, the new UH head basketball coach, Zinetta Burney claimed the offer was "racist."

Burney's claim of racism is based on the fact that Brooks, a black man, was being given a salary less than former head basketball coach Pat Foster, who is a white man.

After Burney made her claim, the UH administration conducted an investigation and decided, according to national market Division 1 basketball coaches salaries and compensations survey, Brooks' base salary should be raised to $125,000 from the original offer of 475,000.

Burney's claim also led to the review and salary raise of Athletic Director Bill Carr and Head Football Coach Kim Helton.

Carr's salary rose to $122,000 from $110,000. Helton's salary was raised to $269,200 from $129,200.

"The original raise Brooks was given when he was promoted to head coach was fair, but the second raise of $50,000 was outrageous," said Habhajan Hayre, an electrical engineering professor.

"A second raise should only have been given on the basis of his performance as head coach," said Hayre.

Stephen Huber, a UH law professor, told the Houston Post that the raise was unnecessary because Brooks already accepted the offer of $75,000.

Faculty members are also concerned over the inequities of their salaries compared to the Athletic Department's

"I can't imagine that kind of a raise when a full professor, 20 years into a career, makes an average of $50-$60,000 a year," said Harrell Rodgers, dean of the College of Social Sciences.

"There is not a single professor in my school that makes a salary that large. I can't even afford to pay my superstars that much," said Rodgers.

Carr said the comparison between faculty and coaches salaries is that of comparing apples to oranges.

"The primary mission of intercollegiate athletics is to enhance the larger mission of the university," according to a column he wrote for The Daily Cougar.

"To accomplish this we need to employ coaches whose value system supports those priorities and can produce a positive atmosphere and winning record in competitive athletics," according to Carr.

Carr also said coach's salaries are not paid from UH sources, or state funds. However, annually the Athletic Department automatically receives 35 percent of all student service fees.

Carr said the higher salaries are also due to the fact that coaches do not have the option of being awarded the security of tenure.

Hayre disagrees. "When you pay one part of a university a higher salary on the whole than the rest of the university it is bad for morale," said Hayre.

*******************************************************

MORE FUNDING COMING BEFORE CENTURY ENDS

by Annette Baird

A long-overdue increase in endowment funding spells good news for UH's future.

Seventy-five million dollars was added to the Higher Education Assistance Fund during this year's state legislative session.

From fiscal year 1996 HEAF will increase from $100 million to $175 million. A deposit of $50 million will be made each year as an endowment that will eventually support HEAF until it caps $2 billion.

"I was a little surprised that (the bill) passed as easily as it did. The legislature recognized the inequities in endowment funding despite a tight budget year," said Roger Elliott, state assistant commissioner for the Department of Research, Planning and Finance.

Cnee Breaux, senior budget analyst for the UH-System, said the increase in HEAF is long overdue. "Setting up the endowment is wonderful," Breaux added.

"In the meantime, we have to get together with the other schools under HEAF and the Texas Higher Education Board to decide how the money will be distributed," Breaux said.

A committee with representatives from UH and the other HEAF schools will be set up, Elliott said. It is too early to say how the money will be distributed, Elliott added.

"We have not yet made up the committee. It is conceivable that the money will be divided in a different fashion," Elliott said.

HEAF money is designated for land acquisitions, building repair and maintenance and library acquisitions.

Twenty-two institutions including the four UH schools are funded by HEAF. A proposal to add Texas State Technical College under HEAF will go to voters state wide this November.

As the largest recipient of HEAF money, UH receives $15,799,996 per year, said Lauri Kalfi, UH-System assistant vice chancellor for governmental relations.

We are having some very beginning conversations about the formation of a committee to coordinate distribution of funds, Kalfi said. "There is no guess as to what (UH) would receive," Kalfi added.

"It's a very positive situation, but we don't know yet how much of an increase we'll get. By 1995, I will know how much we will have and then we will decide on distribution," said Skip Szilagyi, associate vice president for planning.

HEAF money is drawn annually from the Texas General Revenue Fund. TGRF generates its income from sales tax, alcohol and tobacco taxes and the lottery.

SUMMER THIEVES FOCUS ON CARS

BIG ITEMS IN CAMPUS LOTS?-- ACCESSORIES

For some, summer school is an opportunity to continue their education. But for thieves, it's an opportunity to continue the art of theft.

During the summer months, four cars were stolen from parking lots, seven robbed of parts or accessories and nine were burglarized.

Most of the incidents, according to police reports, occurred in Lot 19 between Melcher Hall and the Law Center.

"The trend can be explained because those schools have a high attendance during the summer," said UHPD Lt. Brad Wigtil. "More cars are parked in those lots, so more theft occurs there."

Students reported car burglaries of radar detectors, backpacks and purses, stereo amplifiers and even a mobile phone.

Thieves also took license plates, hub caps, hood ornaments and wheel covers.

Wigtil also said that thieves prefer to blend in with their surroundings.

"When there's a lone car in a lot, it's too obvious. (Criminals) don't want to be seen," he said.

The four stolen vehicles were recovered by Houston police.

But the dilemma now, said Wigtil, is concentrating on commonly targeted areas during the fall semester.

And the lots most frequented by thieves are different.

"The focus now is on lots 15, 19 and 18," he said. "(Lot) 9C is also active because of resident parking."

UHPD plans to increase surveillance of the lots and with the upcoming addition of three new officers, patrols will be beefed up, Wigtil said.

"They are now in training and we will be up to full staff again (with their addition)," Wigtil said.

Full staff is 34 commissioned officers, which includes ranking officers and not office staff.

LEAPING LEOTARDS

UH Dance Theatre auditions begin next week

by Karen Snelling

Polish up those slippers and slap on a smile. Beginning auditions for the UH Dance Theatre are only one week away.

The ensemble performs throughout the fall and spring semesters.

"We like to think of them as the elite group of the Dance Theatre," said Vickie Loftin, the ensemble's artistic director.

During the audition, Loftin will teach a class to students trying out, while fo guest choreographers watch. Loftin and the other choreographers (all of whom teach or dance professionally) will choose the ensemble at the end of the class.

Loftin and the choreographers aren't looking for a specific number of people to fill the ensemble. The choice will be based entirely on the students' talent.

"We usually have anywhere between 10 and 15 students in the ensemble," Loftin said. "I'd take 20 if I could get it."

The ensemble's first performance will in in October at the Medical Center's community fitness fair.

A second audition for a student dance show on Dec. 5 will take place from 4 \to 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 29, also in Room 230, Melcher Gym.

"This concert is entirely the students' show," Loftin said. "It's student produced, choreographed and performed."

Students interested in joining the theatre's performing group, the Dance Ensemble, can audition from 1 to 3 p.m., Sept. 10, in Room 230, Melcher Gym.

For more information about any of these shows, call the Dance Theatre at 743-9842.

UH CREST HAS SCOTTISH PAST

by Rasha Khan

All universities have crests, and every crest has a story -- UH and its crest are no different.

When UH officially became a four-year institution on June 4, 1934, university officials held a competition to come up with a design for the official seal.

An idea presented by a student, Charles Shearn, won and was officially adopted in 1938.

The first official version of the UH seal was placed on the floor of the Roy Cullen building.

Reflecting the city and the man it's named after, the seal is the coat of arms of Gen. Sam Houston, who claimed to have been a descendant of Sir Hughes, a Norman knight.

According to legend, Sir Hugh rescued Scotland's King Malcolm from a raid in 1057. The King then allowed his rescuer to use an adapted version of the Scottish coat of arms, which up to then consisted of checkered chevrons and three ravens.

Sir Hugh made considerable alterations to the original design, such as adding a winged hourglass above the shield and surmounting the motto "In Tempore."

Between the shield and hourglass, he incorporated a bent military column, which suggested that King Malcolm's soldiers were bend during the 1057 raid, but were not broken.

Greyhounds were placed at the sides to signify the speed with which Sir Hugh came to King Malcolm's aid. Martlets, gentle lowland birds symbolizing peace and deliverance, replaced the ravens.

The seal carried 1934 as the date UH was founded until 1961, when the date was changed to 1927--the year UH was established.

During the '70's the design became less flowery and more streamlined, and the translation "In Time" replaced the Latin version of the motto.

Today, the original version of the seal can be seen on the wall beside the University Center bookstore. The modern version, however, is proudly displayed throughout the campus on backpacks, T-shirts, pens and stationary.

LATIN AMERICAN EXPERT EXPLORES FEMALE ISSUES

She knows her Latin American culture.

Professor Jean Franco, director of the Institute of Latin American and Iberian Studies at Columbia University has written numerous books on the subject and been a consultant for Latin American television programs.

She has chaired the Stanford University Department of Spanish and Portuguese and taught at the University of Essex and King's College at London University.

She was also one of the founding members of the Society for Latin American Studies of Great Britain.

Franco's devotion to Latin America has earned her the Guggenheim.

Now she's bringing her experiences to UH.

On Sept. 24, she will present a lecture entitled "Women in Marginality in Latin America" at 7:30 p.m. in Room 180 of Melcher Hall.

The lecture, which discusses the plight of Latin American women, is free to the public with a reception immediately following.

For more information on Professor Franco's lecture call 743-3056 or 743-3214.

SOUTHERN CAL NOT OFF TO ROSY START

COACH ROBINSON FACES COUGARS WITH UNPROVEN FRESHMEN TAILBACKS

Southern California has all the necessary parts to make a run at the Rose Bowl this season, but Houston hopes it doesn't start to click until after the two teams meet Saturday in Los Angeles.

The Trojans, just as the cougars, have a new coach, but John Robinson is no stranger in the land of Troy.

In 1978, Robinson brought USC a share of the national championship with a 12-1 record in only his third year as head coach. His seven-year tenure between 1976-82 garnered a 67-14-2 record, third all-time in USC's 105-year football history.

Robinson then took his experience to the Los Angeles Rams in the NFL from 1983-91. He compiled a 79-74 record and six playoff appearances, including two NFC Championship games.

To say there aren't high expectations for the Trojans to go all the way this season would be an understatement.

But in USC's opener Sunday at the Disneyland Pigskin Classic IV at Anaheim Stadium, North Carolina, No. 20 at the time, put a damper on Robinson's return with a 31-9 spanking.

The Tar Heels option offense, which registered 291 yards on the ground, revealed the Trojans' inability to stop the run.

The USC offense also had its problems. Starting tailback Dwight McFadden went down in the first half with a broken foot and is out for the season.

Before he went down, McFadden carried the ball seven times for 44 yards.

Now, Robinson, 0-1 in his comeback bid, must rely on one of his talented, but unproven freshmen tailbacks to carry the team.

Shawn Walters rushed for 2,091 yards and 30 touchdowns as a senior at Arlington Lamar and will probably see action against Houston.

But 5-11, 185-pound David Dotson should be the frontrunner. He ran the ball nine times for 48 yards against North Carolina.

"The first option is to see if one of these young people can step forward and be successful," Robinson said. "They came here to be that. That's what their dream is at USC, and we're going to make sure they have a chance to do it and prove they can or can't handle it."

Cougar head coach Kim Helton, who scouted the Trojans during the game, said he liked Dotson's moves but hopes they aren't there come gametime.

"(He) scared the heck out of me," said Helton, who predicts the Trojans will win eight or nine games this season. "He looked a little bit like (former USC tailback and Heisman Trophy winner) Marcus Allen."

Player extraordinare Allen Aldridge, who will play linebacker, tight end and long snapper, said he expects nothing less than power football from the Trojans.

"They'll stick with their game plan and run the ball like the old days, you know, run the ball down your throat," Aldridge said.

The Trojans also have a passing threat, even though execution was a problem in the opener.

When the running game collapsed, quarterback Rob Johnson completed 21-of-28 passes for 167 yards and a touchdown. Another score was nullified on a penalty.

Helton said he was impressed with the Trojan passing attack, but his team's focus is on winning the game, not who they're playing.

"Our football players are excited about trying not to be 4-7," he said, "and the bottom line is until we prove otherwise, our history says we're a poor football team. There's only one way to fix not being 4-7 and that's win."

TOUGH WILDCAT CLASSIC AWAITS VOLLEYBALL TEAM

The UH volleyball team will face its toughest opposition early this season--at the Wildcat Classic, this weekend in Tuscon, Ariz.

In the preseason polls, the Cougars are ranked No. 21, over No. 24 Pepperdine and No. 26 Arizona. No. 17 UC-Santa Barbara will also compete.

Southwest Conference play begins in two weeks, and the up-coming matches will provide the team with a chance to become better acquainted with each other on and off the court.

"We will use the next few weeks to adjust our game and to become a stronger unit to prepare ourselves for the conference," coach Bill Walton said.

The Cougars opened up their season with a loss Wednesday night against the Sam Houston LadyKats in Huntsville.

Dropping 3 games to 2, 28 errors lead to the Cougars' demise. The Cougars' numbers were 15-7, 12-15, 15-13, 15-17, and 15-7.

Senior Setter Ashley Mulkey was the bright spot for the Cougars, recording 24 kills to lead the team.

In other SWC volleyball action Wednesday, the Rice Owls grabbed their first season victory over Stephen F. Austin 15-13, 15-12, and 15-11.

Sammy Waldron lead the Owls with 16 kills.

SPB WEEK WOWS STUDENTS

"Open the Door to Your Future" is the theme for this semester's Student Program Board Awareness Week.

SPB, UH's entertainment source, offers a series of concerts, films, and thrills as part of this event, scheduled each semester to get more people involved in SPB and to entertain the campus.

On Tuesday, watch magician/juggler/fire eater Jim Finger open up the week's festivities at the UC Satellite starting at 11:30 a.m. Finger's performance is a return engagement after a successful show last spring.

On Wednesday (11 a.m. - 2 p.m.), a "Free Expression Banner" will be posted at the Satellite. Students are invited to draw or write anything they choose on the banner, said SPB Director of Marketing E.J. Simonsen. It will be posted the next day in the University Center, but inappropriate language will be censored.

As a bonus to the day's activities, members of SPB's Video Committee will roan the campus asking questions on any topic. "Random Static," the product of these brief interviews, will be aired next week on the Student Video Network (available in the dorms, campus Hilton and Satellite). Simonsen said commentary content will not be changed, and that only film editing will be done.

On Thursday, local rockabilly act The Flaming Hellcats will knock out the walls of the Satellite starting at 11 a.m. That evening, cozy up to Steve Martin's <I>L.A. Story<P>, a tale of life in the City of Angels. The film runs at 7:30 p.m. in the Pacific Room of the UC Underground.

On Friday, rock/jazz instrumentalist Robin Crow plays 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the Satellite, and closing out the week, SPB sponsors an open house in its offices, located in Room 59, UCU.

Refreshments will be provided at no cost, and everyone is invited. The party starts at 4 p.m.

All events are free, except for <I>L.A> Story<P>, which is $1 for students and $2 for non-students.

SPB, funded by more than $100,000 of Student Service Fees, provides information and entertainment to the campus by way of its eight committees, which handle everything from speakers and bands to films and the arts.

For more information, call SPB at 743-5210.