COUGAR DISCIPLINE

All right, so we lost to Southern Cal 49-7. Sure, it's a big deal…, but at least we didn't lose to Southern Methodist.

The good news is that, with the new direction in which coach Kim Helton is taking his team, they'll prove to be winners yet.

So pay no attention to the stereotyped images associated with student-athletes of wild dorm parties and brushing off classes. Those images could become a thing of the past with new team policies being implemented by Helton. The coach has laid down new laws in hopes of molding players that perform their best both on the field and in the classroom.

Before the semester began for the civilian student population, the football team was getting a crash course in discipline.

New to their rigid routine is a curfew, a dorm room visitor policy, weekly room inspections and a prohibition on alcohol.

The players got the scoop on Helton's disciplinary style in a meeting this summer. Also in attendance at that meeting were representatives of UHPD, HPD, the DEA and the FBI.

"We're not running a concentration camp here, but they were called in to brief the players on what's out there," Helton said. "It's just my way of saying beware of things like drugs, gambling and prostitution."

UHPD Lt. Helia Durant said that department's role in the meeting was to establish a communication link with the players.

"We wanted to let them know about the rules of the university and the laws of the state," he said. "We told them not to let temptation get the better of them because if they step out of line, they will be processed like everyone else who breaks the law."

Also introduced to the players was a year-round 11 p.m. curfew with weekly bed checks, usually before game days.

Some players prefer the new measures. "I think the curfew is for the better," said defensive lineman Stephen Dixon. "Everybody's happy with it."

"It helps with discipline," said wide receiver Donald Moffett. "It's going to help us on the field."

Also a part of the new standards is a rule prohibiting women in players' dorm rooms, which Helton sees as a sanctuary exclusively for football players.

"If it's not their mom, then she's not in the room," Helton said. "They all have cars; they all have feet. Going to see someone is fine."

Despite the minor limitations, Helton's young men have all the academic freedom they could ever want. In fact, it's first priority. Players are required to attend classes and go to study hall regularly.

"Coach Helton came in stressing academics and with (former coach John) Jenkins it was all about football," Dixon said. "It might be the reason why a lot of guys had trouble with their grades."

Helton says his regulations are in no way an infringement on the players' total college experience.

"It's fair to say that they can have enough freedoms as a college student without breaking rules, and still feel like they are having fun," Helton said.

In the end, the discipline is going to help the team on the field, the new coach said.

"(The new rules) surprised me at first, but he's doing what's best for the team," said linebacker and part-time tight end Allen Aldridge.

"The discipline makes you win in the long run," Helton said."They (will have) put in too much work to surrender."

*******************************************************

CLINTON, GORE UNVEILING PLAN

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

President Bill Clinton introduced his plan to "reinvent" the federal government and to save an estimated $108 billion over five years.

The plan was presented to the president by its producer, Vice President Al Gore, after six months of studying.

The new plan aims to make the federal government work better and less expensively while identifying ways to reduce waste.

Eliminating federal jobs by 252,000 is supposed to save more than $40 billion, while combining and removing some programs may save approximately $36 billion. Changing the way the government buys items by allowing federal agencies to use retail outlets is expected to save $22.5 billion.

"Taxes will be lower and the deficit will be smaller if the program works," said Steven Craig, associate professor of economics.

"If it does not work, either we won't notice or service will be down," he said.

Richard Murray, professor of political science, said waste and mismanagement have to be addressed, so streamlining the government is smart politics.

The proposal also suggests transferring law enforcement functions of the Drug Enforcement Administration and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms into the FBI.

Murray said the Congress may be skeptical about implementing the proposal to fold the agencies into the FBI.

He said since the DEA and ATF are autonomous they won't like the idea of being combined under FBI. They would like to stay as independent as possible.

The major problem is merging the agencies, said Kathleen Knight, who is a professor of Political Science and has expertise on American politics. She said managers are too many but workers are not enough. If the administration can manage to combine the agencies, they can cut on staff, Knight said.

Clinton should reduce federal employees and not hire temporary workers who become regular workers later on like the Reagan administration did, Knight said.

Murray said even corporations have a hard time streamlining procedures even though they don't have to go through the Congress. However, Democrats can take action better than Republicans now, he said.

College Republicans Vice Chairman Hunter Jackson said the plan is a positive step. He thinks that the proposal generally will find support in the Congress.

Clinton and Gore will make personal appearances this week in Ohio, California and Houston to present their plan. They will arrive in Houston Friday night, and make their presentation Saturday morning.

STUDENTS HAVE OWN IDEAS

by Yonca Poyraz-Dogan

When asked what should be done to reinvent the government, some students said they would solicit people's interaction with government, reduce waste, improve education, give welfare to the needy, cut military spending and be honest.

Out of fifty students polled, five of them said that they had no idea what they would do and two said they are happy with the way the government is. Two other students said they would change the president.

Most of the students said they perceived "reinventing" the government as a serious and difficult task to accomplish.

"My priority would be honesty. I would develop a policy that if you (politicians) lie, you could loose your position," said Tabby Elliot, a junior communication major.

She said if cheating and lying exist, no solution will be found to any problems.

Junior computer science major Richard Wermske said he would eliminate the centralized government and develop a system in which people could vote on policies.

He also said parents should be certified to have children.

"You can have a baby and let it starve, but you can't have a house if you don't have money." Parents should not have a right to have a child if they can't afford it, Wermske said.

Senior biology major Jon Dizon said he would put term limitations on congress to prevent people from feeling comfortable in the office they hold. He thinks politicians would be more responsible if term limitations existed.

Creating jobs, providing free health care and education, reducing the deficit and improving basic values are the other things that students said they would do if they could "reinvent" the government.

FEST MOVES STUDENTS TOWARD UNITY

by Paula Pierre

The theme of unity among African-American organizations was echoed by those attending the 25th annual Let's Get Acquainted celebration Wednesday at Lynn Eusan Park.

More than 250 students attended the event sponsored by the Pan-Hellenic Council, the Black Student Union and the African-American Studies Department.

"We hope this event will give more exposure to black organizations on campus and we hope to unify black students," said Henry Bell, president of the Black Student Union.

Representatives from 12 fraternities, sororities and other African-American student organizations were on hand to introduce their groups to a fraction of the 2500 African-American students at UH.

"We hope freshman and transfer students will see that the organization does exist and hopefully will ask questions and possibly join," said Daryl Brown, a mechanical engineering senior involved in the National Society of Black Engineers.

Event sponsors said this year's turn out surpassed previous years' because of the coordinated efforts of the three groups. In the past it was sponsored solely by the BSU.

Dr. Morris Graves, Associate Director of the African-American Studies Department, said the success of this event depends on students becoming more involved in African-American groups on campus.

Many students said they used the event as a chance to meet other students with common goals.

"It enables you to meet more African-Americans who are positive and are attempting to empower themselves through education," said Keffrelyn Brown, a graduate student.

Derrick Mitchell, president of the Pan-Hellenic Council, said, "It's very important for freshmen to see that black people can get along in light of the press that black people receive."

In addition to trying to ease the pressures of students during their college years, the event also provided help in planning for the future.

The organizations invited a representative of the Career Planning and Placement Center to help students focus on their academic goals as well as job aspirations after college.

Joy Warner CPPC's internship coordinator said students should start career planning during their freshman year. By getting internships early, she said students can increase their chances of getting a job after college.

Bell said they will try to continue to be responsive to UH's African-American community by bringing Eldridge Cleaver and Bobby Seal of the 1960s' Black Panther Movement to campus. A date has not been set for this event.

Bell said the mood of the event could be characterized by BSU's motto, "The power of unity will overcome all. Show me a falling brick and I show you a falling wall."

NEW PROGRAM TARGETS FACULTY EXPERTS

Where do elementary school teachers go with science questions that come up in class? UH faculty members will soon be easy-to-access resources.

The Scientists' Institute for Public Information is starting a pilot project this fall in Houston and New York City called the Teacher Referral Service. It's modeled after their successful Media Resource Service that is available to journalists seeking expert sources for science-related stories.

"In this case, teachers will be able to call an institute researcher to explain their science, health or technology related questions," explained Barbara Rich, senior vice president for the institute.

"The researcher then scans a data base and contacts an appropriate specialist so arrangements can be made for the expert and teacher to confer by phone," said Rich.

UH technology, science and social sciences faculty are urged to fill out brief questionnaires to volunteer for the project.

"We want to tap into the tremendous resource available at the University of Houston," said Rich. "Only a handful of faculty here are now listed in our Media Resource data base, so we hope to expand that number while building our teacher referral list."

The Scientists' Institute for Public Information was founded in 1963 by a small group of scientists concerned about the public's understanding of critical science issues. After the accident at Three Mile Island, the organization was deluged with calls from journalists needing nuclear experts. That sparked the formation of SIPI's Media Resource Service.

With it up and successfully running, the Teacher Referral Service is a logical next step to strengthen partnerships between scientists and public schools.

Rich notes that "most elementary teachers have weak science and technology backgrounds, and many are somewhat intimidated by those disciplines. As a result, we want them to know where to turn for accurate and up-to-date information."

She doesn't expect volunteer professors will have to spend a great deal of time fielding questions. However, it is hoped that once contact between a teacher and a professor is established, the teacher will be able to call on that professor with additional questions.

No one knows exactly the types of queries the new program will generate. However, when Rich visited a classroom of third- and fourth-graders in Houston, she was asked to have scientists explain the force needed for a rocket to lift off; why there is a tingling feeling when your foot falls asleep; and what makes us dream at night.

"We have a broad perspective of knowledge that can be utilized," said Thomas Arcy, director of the College of Technology's Center for Applied Technology. "I'm sure faculty participation will be good."

The Teacher Referral Service is also soliciting support at Baylor and Rice. As a non-profit organization, the Scientists' Institute for Public Information did local fund raising to start the service in Houston. A grant request has been made to the National Science Foundation to fund statewide expansion next year.

To participate in either the Teacher Referral Service, the Media Resource Service or both, call Fran Howell at 743-8153 for the short questionnaires.

COSMONAUTS TO GET BEAMED UP WITH AMERICAN ASTRONAUTS

Around the world, eyes are glued to television screens. Fire roars from the engines, and a muffled voice is heard. "Three,... Two,... One,... Liftoff!"

The first joint Russian-American space flight will be on its way this January, and the University of Houston's Space Vacuum Epitaxy Center is part of the effort.

Russian cosmonauts Col. Vladimir Titov and Sergei Krikalev participated in training exercises this June at the Wake Shield Facility.

Dr. Alex Ignatiev, SVEC's director, said the cosmonauts trained on the free-flying wake shield to get first-hand experience on and become familiar with the way the shield operates.

In January, Krikalev is scheduled to participate in the STS-60 mission, and Titov hopes to participate in the STS-63 mission scheduled for next year.

Titov's smile is bright and his eyes are filled with excitement as he speaks in broken English about the thrill of union between the United States and Russian space programs.

"Here in Houston, it is interesting for me because of the new people and the new technique. It is a different vehicle, but the same way to space," Titov said with a grin.

Titov began his training in Russia in 1976. During his career, he has had two space flights. His first, in 1983, lasted two days. The second flight was a year long, from December 1987 to December 1988.

"It's not a simple job," he said. "Not very good for the body and not very good for people, but we love to live in space."

When in space, Titov says he thinks of many things, but one in particular.

"In space, I think about how our planet is very small. I also don't understand why people (make) war between different countries," he said with a distant look.

"Working together, is very nice for our countries," he said. "Working together is not very expensive."

Titov is happy with his home in Friendswood. His two children enjoy school -- especially his younger son, who enjoys the small amounts of homework.

Titov says he likes the neighborhood and added with a smile, "We even have a… (he motions side-to-side with his hand) <I>swing<P> for my son Yuri."

However, Titov and his family plan to return to Russia. "We have friends and jobs there," he said.

Titov is proud of all of his accomplishments, but he is most pleased with the fact that he has been to space.

"On the planet," he said, "only 300, maybe less, people were in space. It's a very, very interesting job."

TIARA TIME

The Miss America Pageant has been the target of many jokes over the years, but one group has found a way to use the idea of the pageant for a worthy cause.

Miss Camp America, an organization consisting of gay men, puts on a mock production of the Miss America Pageant every year to raise money for AIDS-related charities.

Pat Petty, co-founder and pageant director, said the Miss Camp America group started as a game 25 years ago when he was a student at Stephen F. Austin State University.

"A group of us got together to watch the pageant and thought it would be fun if we drew names of people to be whoever the 10 finalists were in the real Miss America Pageant," said Petty.

The group watches the Miss America Pageant to see who the 10 finalists are. The names of the group members, totalling 56, are placed into a pool from which 10 are drawn. The men whose names are drawn represent the finalists' states in the Miss Camp America Pageant.

Miss Camp America is not crowned until Miss America is crowned the night of the show.

"We have someone watching the Miss America pageant backstage, and when the winner is announced we announce our winner. None of the men know who is going to win until right before they are crowned," said Petty.

This year's pageant theme is "Guys not Dolls." Petty said the theme was chosen last year after an article with that headline appeared in the Houston Chronicle.

One event the men participate in is the evening gown presentation. The theme for this year's event is "Broads go Abroad." The men will dress in evening gowns representing a specific country of their choice.

The contestants also participate in talent and swimsuit events. The swimsuits this year will all be a different color of the rainbow, and participants will wear headpieces depicting the state they represent.

In addition to these three events, the group will also perform four dance routines.

The first dance number will be a salute to America that employs pyrotechnics. Two mini-productions, salutes to the "Boot Scoot" and "Troll Dolls," will be performed in the middle of Acts I and Act II. The grand finale will be a salute to Rio de Janeiro Carnival.

This year's event benefits the Colt .45 Trouble Fund, the Assistance Fund and Body Positive, all AIDS-related charities.

The group also raises money through raffles, a silent auction, an Easter party and ticket and program sales.

"Last year we raised over $14,000 for AIDS, and this year we are planning to more than double that number," said Petty.

This year's Camp Miss America pageant begins at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 18, in the Cullen Performance Hall.

SMASH ALL GRUNGE

If you think Seattle is all about grunge, lumberjacks and Sub Pop, think again.

<I>Seattle… The Dark Side<P>, coming from Rhyme Cartel and American Records, shows what’s been the buzz all along -- that the only thing as big as grunge in Washington State is hip-hop.

Bolstered by the platinum success of Seatown homeboy Sir Mix-A-Lot, Seattle has opened up the gate for a fleet of rappers all looking for a hit.

<I>Seattle…<P> is a compilation of the Pacific Northwest’s niftiest and newest rappers and R&B artists, with Executive Producers Mix-A-Lot, Def American owner Rick Rubin (who’s produced everyone from the Beastie Boys to Flipper to Slayer) and Ricardo Frazier at the helm.

With the heady mix of Mix-A-Lot, Rubin and a couple of gangsters, everybody had better duck.

Compilations are fun and bring together artists that might otherwise never work together. Consider the Dead Kennedys’ tribute <I>Virus 100<P>, the Grateful Dead devotees’ <I>Deadicated<P> or Planned Parenthood’s <I>Freedom of Choice<P>. They can also be mixed bags with song and artist quality going up and down, particularly when new artists are involved.

Here’s where <I>Seattle…<P> slips up.

Although <I>Seattle…<P> is nine songs, three new artists -- R&B crooners 3rd Level, gangster E-Dawg and fellow hip-hop gangster Jay Skee -- get two songs each. Mix-A-Lot provides an enticement to rap fans by tossing in a new cut, and Kid Sensation adds a song, too. It’s buoyed by the lone woman on the release, Jazz Lee Alton, who performs the chilling and absolutely stunning "Love… Never That," a semi-autobiobraphical piece dealing with her sister's murder.

<I>Seattle…<P> opens with E-Dawg’s "Drop Top," a disappointing song that mercifully ends. Get this right: Ex-gangster turns rapper and does it all about the streets. Admirable, although the concept is about as original as pressed ham.

E-Dawg redeems himself on "Little Locs," which is nothing short of infectious. The sample is a mile better then "Drop Top," the rapping is better and the lyrical content is much more energetic. Plus, "Little Locs" has the best introduction of all of the songs on <I>Seattle…<P>

Sir Mix-A-Lot’s "Just Da Pimpin’ in Me" is lyrically pretty much the same thing he's done on every song he’s come out with, but adding "system’s the ho/built on greed" sentiments that all rappers are doing these days.

If anyone can find a Mix-A-Lot song that doesn’t include how rich he is; how he doesn’t break the law to get his money; how (fill in the blank with cops, sucker MCs, women) are after him because he’s so rich, talented and debonair or how people stop when they see him, it’d be a surprise.

"Pimpin’" is actually one of the best cuts on <I>Seattle…<P>, and is one of Mix-A-Lot’s better songs for it’s tight funk samples and smooth rap. Simply because he’s surrounded by rougher talent, one becomes more critical.

Jay Skee follows him up with the more encouraging "Menace Crook," a well-sampled jam in which the artist overcomes a slight Pacific Northwest drawl to maintain rapid-fire rap. His performance on "12 Gauge" is even better, and the old soul grooves here are dense.

3rd Level provides this release’s annoyance factor. On "Show You" and "Don’t Play Me" (with Mix-A-Lot), 3rd Level can almost assuredly make any listener jump to the Advance button on the CD player, simply for the pieces' lack of inventiveness.

Current R&B balladeer styles are almost as doctrinaire as ska and much follows a set pattern. The singing here is really good, yet seems very restrained, and the background sounds too much like radio bile.

Kid Sensation’s "Flava You Can Taste" is an afterthought. It's a fine song, but it's still an afterthought. Kid Sensation, a longtime Mix-A-Lot protegé, is biding his time until his third solo record hits the street, so maybe he was saving himself.

The only other criticism one could foist on <I>Seattle…<P> is its lack of diversity, as there are more than gangsters in Seattle and there are certainly more women rappers. Blame it on Mix-A-Lot, who personally selected the artists appearing on this release.

If there is a second volume to <I>Seattle…<P>, then including variant strains of hip-hop should be considered.

FROM NIRVANA TO PARADISE

by Andrew Nicolaou

Until recently, the very thought of Chicago's Jesus Lizard accumulating huge amounts of fans seemed like some absurd fantasy, an impossibility that made for a pleasant dream and a most decidedly insane reality.

Last January, however, "the single" happened. "The single"was a split Touch and Go Records 7"/cassette/CD with Nirvana, featuring the Jesus Lizard song "Puss" from the band's last Touch and Go long-player <I>Liar<P>. The single marked the first release of a new song in 18 months from Nirvana, and thus sales were brisk.

While the Nirvana track was something of a disappointment, the Jesus Lizard selection was a brilliant display of growling guitar and ferocious bass in what was certainly <I>Liar<P>'s most accessible tune.

Accessible, that is, when compared with previous Jesus Lizard offerings -- "Puss" certainly was not bound to be seen or heard on MTV or mainstream radio.

The end result of the split single was that a herd of people who laid down some bread for a new Nirvana song walked away with a Jesus Lizard song that was many times better than the Nirvana song. Many probably made a mental note to keep their eyes peeled for any new Jesus Lizard releases.

Now, eight months later, that possibility does not appear to have escaped the subversive mind of Jesus Lizard with its new six-song release <I>Lash<P>. The EP features two new studio tracks and four versions of older songs recorded live at two separate concerts.

<I>Lash<P> begins with "Glamorous," one of the two studio tracks. 30 seconds into "Glamorous," it becomes obvious just how hard the song rocks in a conventional manner. Duane Denison's guitar riff is big, dumb, and somewhat predictable, and frontman David Yow's slippery vocals are uncharacteristically both audible and decipherable. Make no mistake -- "Glamorous" is a great song, but it certainly doesn't have "typical Jesus Lizard" tattooed all over it.

The second studio track, "Deaf as a Bat," is instantly recognized as being more firmly rooted in the traditional Jesus Lizard vein, and that's probably a good thing. It's a hasty 90-second number but the tone coming from David Sims' bass is remarkable. The song's a winner.

The live tracks are what makes this EP essential for any Jesus Lizard fan, though. The band has long had a reputation for putting on an incendiary live show fraught with an energy that's capable of ripping apart a venue and the audience along with it.

Lead singer David Yow is known for exuding a self-destructive charisma (much akin to that of a young Iggy Pop) which is capable of either totally anesthetizing an audience or turning that audience against the band.

Such are the things that just can't be put into a studio recording. While the four live cuts on <I>Lash<P> certainly aren't comparable to attending a concert by the Chicago quartet, the four songs do have that intangible something that "Glamorous" and "Deaf As a Bat" lack.

The four tracks are all wise choices from the band's live set -- "Lady Shoes," "Killer McHann," "Bloody Mary" and "Monkey Trick" -- and are given impressive treatment here (particularly "Lady Shoes" and "Monkey Trick").

"Lady Shoes" is a recording from a Nov., 1990 Boston gig that employs an artful cascade of swirling guitars, courtesy of Denison accompanying Yow's guttural mumblings. There's an indescribable sense of urgency that pervades every note of "Lady Shoes;" some disaster is imminent, and it doesn't feel like anything can be done in time to avert it.

"Monkey Trick", a song that first appeared on the Feb., 1991 Touch and Go LP <I>Goat<P>, is perhaps the strongest of the four live tracks. Taken from a London show last May, "Monkey Trick" begins with a tasty bass line and rather spartan guitar, and quickly devolves into a frenzied maelstrom of guitar havoc and Yow's screaming.

Listening to the song presents a dilemma: Is it better to simply listen to the recording from the sanctity of a dorm room and miss out on the full scope of the energy at the show, or is it better to brave the sweat and blood that comprise a healthy portion of any Jesus Lizard concert (no matter how distasteful that prospect is)?

Without a doubt, the blood and sweat are a small trade-off for witnessing such an awesome gathering of energy, and that's why <I>Lash<P>, as good at is, isn't as good as it so desperately wants to be.

In other words, buy it, but only if you have every intention of seeing the band the next time they pass through Houston.

JOURNALIST' S MEMOIRS STIR QUESTIONS

Like many of the disenfranchised who travelled railroads to liberation in the 19th century, Jill Nelson searched for her Harriet -- a person in whose arms she could find security and relative peace -- a rescuer.

Nelson, whose steamy memoir <I>Volunteer Slavery<P>, has caused a stir among journalists of all colors, is the story of a black bourgeois "princess" who, much to her chagrin, discovers the Washington Post mirrors society at large.

The autobiography, subtitled <I>My Authentic Negro Experience<P>, is told within a frame of interviews. Her story is told chronologically, beginning first with former Post Editor Ben Bradlee.

She refers to the pal of Jack Kennedy as, oddly enough, a gnome. She talks high society with Bradlee and, wearing a blue suede dress and tight high heels, positions herself as a potential feature writer for the Post magazine.

She brings with her a mixture of sarcasm and witticisms, an incredible sense of humor and a brutal honesty. But Nelson, who arrived in 1985 and stayed until 1990, failed to realize what she was getting herself into when she decided to write for Chocolate City's newspaper.

Much of the book focuses on her highly dysfunctional family, which includes two drug addicts, a Jack Daniels-drinking mother, Nelson's self-centered daughter (who wants to cast her mother as Claire Huxtable), a father who is tired of putting on airs and Nelson herself, who occasionally makes the foolish moves only a novice is expected to make.

Nelson devotes about half of the book to discussing family history and the Nelson way of doing things. Unfortunately, little space is devoted to the work she did at the Post. Either her stories did not pan out, or the work was stripped of Nelson's voice when it was published.

Her personal life is exciting, but too much reflection on single incidents deflects attention away from the real story. Instead of letting it all hang out, as is the custom of trash-glam biographers, Nelson could have woven her upbringing as the secondary element of the text.

Her Post stories run the gamut from a profile of Oprah Winfrey to a series of "color" pieces on Marion Barry. Unfortunately, her motive for taking the job -- to fill money bags -- made working there just a chore from the start. Whatever passion she had as a free-lancer for the Village Voice and Essence is gone by the time she entered the Washington hall of the Fourth Estate.

Nelson's analysis of management problems and leadership types is one of <I>Slavery<P>'s significant features. As a relative plebeian, she makes several false moves.

For example, she claims from the outset that she didn't want to get involved in newsroom politics. Eventually, though, she runs for chair of a newspaper union, and later signs a travel voucher that was supposed to be signed by a superior.

Nelson walks the fine line between gossip and her own rich feature voice. Most of the time, she does it so well that it could either be declared a non-fiction equivalent of <I>Waiting to Exhale<P> or a juicy telephone conversation.

She doesn't spend enough time dishing dirt on Bradlee and his partners in crime. Her analysis of the black and white communities and power circles is quite strong. Had she spent more time in the newsroom and less in the bedroom, it would have been an even more interesting read.

As a token black, first on the magazine staff and later with the Metro section, she engages in a struggle to find that space where both the mainstream sphere and the "authentic Negro" sphere overlap.

Once she defines that experience, it's obvious that what Nelson needed was not her own Harriet, but a clear idea of what she wanted as a writer.

FOLLOW THE LEADER, WALTON SAYS

by Sean Rainer

Coming into a season with two seniors, two sophomores and a bus load of true freshmen, most coaches would be inclined to chalk it up to a rebuilding year. Head volleyball coach Bill Walton has much more in mind for his team.

This two-time Coach of the Year award recipient will be expecting no less than post-season performances from his athletes. However, he knows that the success or failure of this young team rests just as much in his abilities as in theirs.

"The only person at this point who can really help this team become better is me," Walton said.

Since taking the reigns in 1986, Walton has led his Cougar teams to three NCAA tournaments and a NIVC championship. His .631 percentage has made him UH’s winningest coach against SWC teams.

"He really knows what he is talking about," said Ashley Mulkey, one of Walton’s two returning seniors. "I really admire him."

Walton and assistant coach Patsy McClymont are working to give this young team the insight they will need this season.

"This is a team that has never beaten or even played some of our upcoming opponents," Walton said.

Walton, who has led a team into post-season play nine of his 12 years as a collegiate head coach, has.

Said Walton: "They need to take my visualization of the game and apply it to the game situations."

CRUCIAL CORE COURSES CRITIQUED, APPROVED BY UNDERGRAD COUNCIL

by Tammy Gamble

The Undergraduate Council said Wednesday that sophomore-level English core courses may not be meeting university writing requirements.

However, the council went on to approve those courses and also the core courses for physics, chemistry and biology for meeting university requirements.

The only concern the Core and Degree Requirements Committee found with the sophomore-level English core courses was that some courses were not meeting the writing component required in English courses, Ernst Leiss, committee chair, said. The committee requested that the English Department inform instructors the course could lose core credit standing for not meeting the writing guidelines.

A Physics III course will receive an additional follow-up review next fall for the committee to check for consistencies in grading. More than 50 percent of the students in one professors class received A's, while a different instructor of the same course had fewer than 25 percent receiving above a C.

Leiss said the council could only review the courses not the professors. "It is very difficult to come up with something to change the procedures of a tenured full professor," he said.

Joanna Friesen said putting the committee's concerns in writing could be enough to prompt action on the grading discrepancies.

The grading problem was also addressed in the Biology Department where one instructor has substantially higher grades than other instructors.

The committee said the Chemistry Department corrected grading discrepancies by implementing uniform departmental examinations.

It was announced that the university had enrolled 27,351 students in priority and regular registration, and this number could rise by 4,000 after late registration and fee payment ended Wednesday.