CANCER SOCIETY SCORES WITH PIKE FOOTBALL

by James Aldridge

Grunts and yells from sweaty UH fraternity members benefited the American Cancer Society last weekend at the Pi Kappa Alpha (Pikes) football Charity Bowl.

The Pikes worked for two and a half months making preparations for their third annual bowl.

"We had to reserve the field in advance, print flyers, make banners for the University Center and prepare the schedules," said Will Main, Pike charity bowl chairman.

Although mostly fraternities participated in the event, the Charity Bowl was open to any UH students wanting to play.

Enduring Saturday's sun and humidity, about 70 players arrived at noon to start the games.

Each team took its match very seriously. Players ran, jumped and dove for the ball to win and eliminate competition from the next day's semi-finals.

On Sunday, players from the team Stiff Competition claimed the championship and chose the American Cancer Society to receive the proceeds from the event.

After expenses, the Pikes hope to have around $450 to donate to the American Cancer Society, Main said. Pike organizers charged $60 for each of the 16 participating teams.

Both participants and students viewing the game had positive things to say about the Charity Bowl.

"I think (the games) are fun and enjoyable," said Diana Woodburn, a sophomore psychology major.

"I’m in a sorority so it gives me the opportunity to see the Greeks support philanthropy," she said.

Other students agreed that the Charity Bowl puts all UH Greek organizations in a good light.

"It shows the (Greek) system has something more than the beer drinking and partying stereotypes," said Al Dugas, a Pike member who played in the game.

Bade Lawall, a Kappa Alpha Psi member who was at the game, said the Charity Bowl provides an opportunity for all Greeks to interact with each other.

"Fraternities are basically brothers, and we want to come together as one and just have fun," Lawall said.

*******************************************************

SA DENOUNCES FACULTY PROPOSAL TO CUT ATHLETICS

The Students' Association took on the Faculty Senate Monday night.

Debate filled SA's meeting when a resolution opposing what may be a Faculty Senate's proposal to abolish intercollegiate athletics was discussed and passed.

The Faculty Senate Executive Committee recently voted to propose a resolution at their next meeting to cut intercollegiate athletics from UH.

Students' Association Resolution #30005, which was authored by senator at large Gavin Kaszynski, originally asked that "the Students' Association denounce the Faculty Senate's resolution to abolish the UH athletic program and subsequently many of our awards, traditions, the proposed athletic building, and financial support from thousands of generous people."

The final version of the resolution was approved with the word "opposed" rather than "denounced."

"We should let the Faculty Senate see our disgust," said Kaszynski. He also said that abolishing the athletic program would be "a fatal blow to (Reiter's) career."

"If you abolish athletics you do away with a lot more than football. Athletics offers scholarships to people who may not have been able to come to school," he said.

Kaszynski also feels that many alumni will cut off funds if UH intercollegiate sports are eliminated.

Although athletics has a budget of $8.1 million, Ernst Leiss, president-elect of the Faculty Senate, said on Friday that most faculty members are against an athletics department that cannot pay its own way.

Senators who oppose the Faculty Senate proposal believe it does not represent the views of all UH students.

Senator Reji George of the College of Humanities Fine Arts and Communication said the bill should have passed as a senate resolution rather than an SA resolution. A senate resolution represents only the views of the senate, not the entire student body.

"We have to represent the views and opinions of all students," said George.

George added that senators should have given students and faculty time to come into the sessions and express their views on the matter before making a decision.

Kaszynski stressed the importance of passing an SA bill as soon as possible because of the upcoming Faculty Senate meeting Sept. 22.

The SA resolution was passed 10 to 4 with one abstention. Other senators said they know their constituencies well enough to vote for the entire student body.

"The 15,000 people I saw at the last football game did not want athletics abolished," said Kaszynski.

Dominic Corva, a senator for the College of Natural Science and Mathematics, said he is able to vote for his constituency because athletics has received so much publicity recently and he has heard students' views on the matter.

While SA passed a resolution condemning the Faculty Senate's proposal, they did not agree on passing their $93,000 budget.

The budget bill asked that the SA administrative secretary position be eliminated. The full-time job would be replaced by a part-time position filled by a compensated student. The change would save SA $17,000.

SA President Jason Fuller was against the elimination of the position because he claims a student would not be objective enough to handle the job. He also said a part-time position does not offer enough hours to complete the required duties.

The bill was sent back for review to the Internal Affairs committee. Senators who were not present for SA's summer session agreed that the facts needed to be further reviewed.

Kaszynski said they would try to iron out the budget at their Sept. 27 meeting.

COMMITTEE EVALUATES RESHAPING PLAN

The final reshaping document has not yet been released, but the University Planning and Policy Committee met Monday to discuss which policies should be restructured in the next phase of the on-going process.

No definite decisions were made as to what UPPC will focus on for the next year, but issues that will be under review come from the "unfinished agenda" in the original copy of "Confronting Our Future," UH's reshaping plan.

George Magner, chairman of the UPPC, singled out five issues which may be prioritized.

Magner sent a memo to the committee with issues for discussion such as faculty problems, revision of collegiate and governance structure, administrative-management problems, enhancement of diversity and assessment of decisions that have already been made and enacted as a result of reshaping.

All of these categories umbrella a number of smaller problems. These problems include faculty workload, teaching evaluation, research funding, staff development, athletics, enrollment management, affirmative action, diverse curriculum and enrollment management.

The committee agreed that the most pressing and explosive issues would be faculty workload and diversity in curriculum, student life and faculty.

"This (diversity enhancement) is a critical issue in our society. I am going to assign several committees to look at these goals," said Magner.

The sub committees will decide which issues are most important and, therefore, what will be recommended to Pickering for the next phase of reshaping.

Although the final document has not been released, a memo outlined the cancellation of plans to eliminate the jewelry-metalsmithing, ceramics, sculpture, the Communication Disorders program and the Human Development Laboratory School.

Although the original reshaping document suggested the History Department be transferred to the College of Social Sciences, history will stay in the school of Humanities Fine Arts and Communications.

According to UH President James Pickering, the decision to eliminate 108 administrative positions has also been made final.

Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for administration and finance, said the positions that were eliminated have all been vacated over the past two years and were not cut as a direct result of reshaping.

The elimination of the positions will save the university $2 million, which has already been allocated. The money will go toward academic departments to make up for the $8.5 million loss UH suffered in the last legislative session.

"Essentially we are moving administrative funds over to instructional (areas)," said Pickering.

"We had to put together a war chest of one-time funds to cushion academic programs during the next two years," he said.

The physical plant lost 83 positions, while the UH Police Department lost 14.5 positions. The other 10.5 positions were lost in Human Resources and the Department of Finance.

The final document is slated for release next week.

CHICANO WEEK CELEBRATES 20TH ANNIVERSARY

by Tammy Gamble

The UH Chicano community is commemorating Mexican Independence this week by creating awareness of the Chicano desire for equality.

Celebrating its 20th anniversary, UH Chicano Week began Monday and will continue through Friday with academic discussions, cultural performances and artistic presentations. It is sponsored by CONCILIO, a Chicano organization on campus, and the UH Mexican American Studies Program.

This year's theme, "Reflections of Aztlan in American Culture," is meant to convey the Chicano culture's roots in the American Southwest and to predict future Mexican American political and cultural trends.

"The purpose is to focus on issues concerning the Mexican-American community, on and off campus, and to reaffirm their distinctive culture in the U.S.," said Lorenzo Cano, associate director of the Mexican-American Studies Program.

Opening ceremonies were held Monday at Lynn Eusan Park. Speakers addressed the importance of Chicano Week and Mexican Independence Day.

Consuelo Trevino, director of Campus Activities, spoke at the ceremony and said the week is off to a good start.

"Chicano Week recognizes the contributions of Mexicans and celebrates Mexican independence from Spain. It is a way to not only remember our roots, but also to realize there is lots of work still to be done," Trevino said.

The week's activities are highlighted by Mexican Independence Day on Thursday where a forum, "The Chicano Experience in the U.S.," will take place from 12-6 p.m. in the Pacific Room of the University Center. There will be a different speaker each hour.

"We want to focus on contemporary issues that impact the community today and see how we can get a more equitable society," Cano said.

Films, plays, student panel discussions and a ballet performance by a Mexican folkloric dance company will also take place during the week.

The celebration will end on Friday with a seminar on the history of Chicano music at noon in the UC Regents Room. A panel discussion on the present and future status of Tejano music will follow at 1:30 p.m.

A Chicano Week Festival Dance will conclude the week from 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday night in Oberholtzer Hall.

All the activities are free and open to the public.

<ISHOULDERS<P> ABOVE THE REST

by Melissa b. Brady

11 p.m. Saturday.

The time we walked through the door of the Mucky Duck for our evening’s entertainment. We said our hello's and found two small chairs in the corner. It's crowded, the first set is over. This is beer time. I came for the sound. Shoulders. They are from Austin, and not surprisingly, they're good.

I notice the player of the stand up bass has burgundy hair in the light as I see him look at strings. I'm thinking I'm sorry I missed the first set. The bartender, Rusty, is facing a row of expert backs with faces toward the stage. The backs of the female and male human species have been through this routine before.

Anticipation mounts. Thirst turns to hunger. Beers are flowing in a multitude of head sizes. The bubbles scream the owners' names out loud as they deflate. The Guinness seems to hold the longest conversations. Laughter attempts to conceal the feelings of anticipation. Even the books lining the pub’s wall are waiting, listening.

Strumming begins from the guitar player. "I'm looking for my accomplices," he says, as the crowd turns in brief silence toward him. The accomplices arrive, and an old Hank Williams tune starts up the set.

The air is thick with harmonica, naggingly hypnotic beats, and intense raspy vocal cords. "When the Lord made me, he made a ramblin' man," the chords vibrate. The entranced crowd begins to develop images of whiskey and God's blue sky. The clapping starts like a slow hard rain.

More thick pasty sounds are spitting from the harmonica, this time discussing a melancholy farmer, which becomes beautifully vivid with images of barren lands and a barren heart.

As the third song, "Each Little Cannibal," begins, the poet Michael screams out high-pitched sounds to prepare the audience for the sounds of jungle love. He begins, "Each little cannibal will eat your heart out in the jungle/ The soul of the cannibal grows stronger with the pain/ Oh sweet succulent love will I go hungry? Or will I eat tonight?" Listeners watch the hungry man, as tells his tale.

The next several pieces performed dealt with issues of sexuality and weaponry, the sun's memories of young boys going to war, and a few profits of doom who spend entirely too much existence thinking about <I>the<P> apocalypse.

"Sacrificial Lamb" hit a cord with the audience, and no doubt, also with the spirit of William Blake. "All you sacrificial lambs, this is my offering/ I'm down on my knees end the suffering -- accept my offering." During this song, the audience mentally takes the soul of the Shoulders' poet as an offering of change in a society whose soul is rotting.

"Trashman's Shoes" was one of the last songs played, in an almost simplistic cowboy time containing glorious expressions of romantic trashy novel readers and believers, versus true love regardless of form. The song is a challenge to the idea of romantic love and the white horses. Gritty, raw passion of sounds and energy, from an honest element of the planet's inhabitants fill the air.

A few minutes later "Fare Thee Well" closes the evening. Without question, the Mucky Duck crowd will be going through withdrawal for the burst of serotonin from the frontal lobe that these poets provide. I will be too. Now I think the bubbles in the beer could have been saying "truth awaits".

Shoulders is bassist Chris Black ("the negative one"), guitarist Todd Kassens, ("the sincere one"), drummer Alan Williams ("best dressed"); and singer Michael Slattery ("enigma/poet").

In two long weeks Shoulders will have their new CD in stores. It's called <I>Trashman's Shoes<P>, after the song of the same name.

Shoulders are musical clouds in sync with the time of the sun, and the atmosphere of our time. Listen to the minds of musical genius that Austin has been brewing on low simmer for fuller flavor.Make your decision soon. I think it's going to be a long two weeks.

KLINGLER TO FACE MICHIGAN DESPITE INJURY

The injury Houston starting quarterback Jimmy Klingler suffered in Saturday's 38-24 loss to Tulsa is not serious and he should be ready to play Sept. 25 against Michigan.

Trainer Mike O'Shea said X-rays taken of Klinger's injured right ankle proved negative.

"It was not fractured," O'Shea said. "He is now on a day-to-day basis. (The ankle) might be better in two days it might be a week."

Houston is off this week and doesn't play again until it faces Michigan, which gives Klingler time to heal.

With 14 seconds left before halftime and the Cougars at their 14 yard line, Klingler launched a pass down field to Daniel Adams.

The ball missed connecting with Adams, and a Tulsa lineman smacked into Klingler, knocking him to the ground.

"I don't know what happened. Someone came down on the back of my foot and twisted my ankle," Klingler said after the game.

Klingler was 12-of-21 for 136 yards and seemed to be moving the offense well before going down. If Klingler has not healed in two weeks, backup Chuck Clements (19-of-29, 159 yards, one touchdown against Tulsa) will take the reins.

Also missing from Houston's lineup is right tackle Darrell Clapp, who has been sidelined since the beginning of the season with a strained left knee.

O'Shea said Clapp will begin working out in pads this week. O'Shea also hopes to have a definitive evaluation of Clapp's status next week before the team heads to Ann Arbor.

GOPHERS BURROW PAST COUGARS

Even though the Cougar volleyball team had a second place finish in the Houston Invitational, their efforts were nothing less than sterling.

The Minnesota Golden Gophers won the tournament held Friday and Saturday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Golden Gopher Katrien DeDecker was named the MVP of the tourney. She lead the team with 13 kills during the Gophers' win over the Cougars in the championship game.

Gophers Jean Schintz and Heidi Olhaesen were named to the All-Tournament team.

The Cougars had two players named to the All-Tournament team. Wendy Munzel and Ashley Mulkey were awarded the honors.

The Cougars reached the championship round of the tournament by defeating North Texas in three quick games Friday, 15-4, 15-1 and 15-3.

Saturday the Cougars faced Southwest Texas and breezed to another win in four matches -- 15-10, 13-15, 15-6 and 15-10.

"North Texas was kind of weak, but we played and had a good time," coach Bill Walton said. "It was closer when we played Southwest Texas, but we executed well. It became a foregone conclusion that we were going to win."

The first match was close, with the Cougars and Gophers playing what seemed to be a never-ending game.

Minnesota played for the game point four times, but the Cougars stayed in it until a Golden Gopher spike ended the first game 15-17.

The Gophers took the next two games 15-6 and 15-5.

"Minnesota played great defense," Walton said. "We let our attitude get to us. The team shouldn't think about screwing up. They need to concentrate on moving on and getting better.

You can't ever let frustration or fatigue get you down."