ATHLETIC REFORM EMERGES AS POLL WINNER

While students and faculty seem to be battling it out over the existence of athletics, people in both groups agree that there needs to be program reform.

The Faculty Senate Executive Committee recently approved a resolution to propose abolishing athletics. The resolution will hit the senate floor for a final decision Sept. 22.

The Students' Association in turn passed a resolution Monday night opposing the Faculty Senate's proposal.

Gavin Kaszynski, an SA senator who authored that group's bill, said athletics brings in large amounts of alumni donations and good publicity. Kaszynski also said the Athletic Department offers scholarships to students who otherwise could not attend school.

George Reiter, president of the Faculty Senate, said athletics uses too much of the university's money and that UH can bring in money from alumni without sports. Reiter also said students who come here to specifically play sports very rarely graduate. According to an NCAA report, 10 percent of the 1985 student-athlete freshman class graduated within six years.

In the midst of the controversy, many students who do not want to abolish sports nevertheless agree that the Athletics Department should be self supportive, therefore freeing funds for academics and other campus activities.

Out of 50 students asked whether they supported the Faculty Senate or Students' Association resolution, 10 were not familiar with the either group. Thirty students agreed that an athletics program should be maintained but that it should be self sufficient.

Fifteen of the students who stand behind a self-supportive department also think that graduation rates should be raised and academics reinforced. Ten students said that an university is strictly for an academic education.

"I think athletics warrants itself with the money it brings in, but I would also like to see money going to other important things like more faculty and dorms," said Craig Avery, a sophomore in chemical engineering.

Members of the Faculty Senate voted 5 to 4 in favor of the resolution but some are not sure if the resolution will pass next week. Even without a final decision, one faculty senator who voted against the resolution in the executive cabinet meeting still agrees with strict athletics reform.

"It's naive to think that a simple resolution will do away with athletics," said Bill Cook, a professor of mechanical engineering and former president of the Faculty Senate.

"Athletics has grown too big nationwide. This university has been on a campaign to support a 'new beginning' for athletics," he said.

*******************************************************

WHO YA' GONNA CALL AT NIGHT?

In the pursuit of academic success, many UH students spend late, unsafe hours in campus libraries, laboratories and classrooms.

With the history of robberies, attacks and shootings in Houston, walking across campus at night is not recommended.

As a matter of fact, it is discouraged by university police.

So, how should students get to their cars or dorms safely?

When a pet pitbull and a big stick aren't available, there's Cougar Patrol.

A 24-hour service of the University of Houston Police Department, Cougar Patrol provides student-driven patrol cars to pick up students and escort them to their vehicles or other locations on campus.

With several work-study students on the Cougar Patrol, UHPD is getting more for their money.

"In the past, we have had five to six people," said UHPD Lt. Helia Durant.

"We have 11 people on the Cougar Patrol staff this semester," said UHPD Lt. Malcolm Davis. "Five of those people are part of the work-study program."

According to Davis, there are two types of work-study programs: a federal program and a state program. Both supply students with money for school that is also used for their salaries.

"The federal program pays for 70 percent of their total salary and the Texas program pays for 75 percent of their salaries," Davis said.

With the extra manpower, the patrol team is better equipped to provide a number of services for the student population.

First and foremost, "They are the eyes and ears of the police department," Durant said.

Patrollers also provide walking escorts, car jump-starts and dorm security.

"They also do building patrols. They have (parking) lots to cover and they check vending machines for vandalism," Davis said.

And for students who make it to their cars only to find they are locked out, patrollers can help with that, too.

However, when patrollers witness a crime, they are not allowed to get directly involved.

"They are not given self-defense training," Davis said. "We are in a small enough area that we can have somebody there in less than a minute."

Patrollers are only equipped with their radios and heavy, metal flashlights, he said.

CATHOLIC STUDENTS SHARE RENEWED FAITH

by Stori Carpenter

Pope John Paul II's recent visit to the United States has sparked an increase in student involvement with the Catholic Newman Association at UH.

"Since the pope's visit, we have increased our recruiting activities, and more people are participating with more enthusiasm this semester than before," said Father John Logan, director of the association.

At least six UH students joined the more than 2,500 Houstonians in their pilgrimage to see the pope in Denver.

Churches in the Houston-Galveston Diocese organized the five-day trip.

Although the Catholic Newman Center did not sponsor any student trips, it encouraged students to go with a church group within the diocese, Logan said.

The pope's visit focused mainly on the need to defend the "physical lives" by having a strong government, and to strengthen our spiritual lives by attending church and praying, said J.L. Marti, an electrical engineering graduate student, who accompanied students from Baylor and Rice belonging to Opus Dei, a local Catholic organization..

"The students who saw the pope are excited about upcoming events due, in part, to a rebirth in their faith," Logan said.

That excitement at UH is a continuation of feelings experienced by the pilgrims who went to the mile-high city, Marti said.

Although he doesn't plan on becoming a priest, Marti said that the trip did strengthen his belief in God. "I have already become a volunteer at Ben Taub Hospital visiting the sick and doing whatever I can for those who are in need," he said.

The motto for the weekend was "Vive le Pope," said Khoi Nguyen, a junior electrical engineering major.

"Everyone was singing and dancing in the streets the entire weekend," Nguyen said.

Nguyen traveled with a Vietnamese youth group from Our Lady of La Vang Church in Houston.

Nguyen said that his group was lucky enough to have a place to stay. He said some students had no accommodations because of overbooking.

"It didn't really matter though. People were happy to camp in the streets or stay in someone's garage," Nguyen said.

In addition to his renewed faith, Nguyen said he now believes in miracles after the Denver trip.

On the way back from the pope's final mass, his group's bus broke down and no one knew what to do, so they began to pray. "We figured it couldn't hurt," said Nguyen.

A group from Los Angeles was walking by and joined the stranded Houstonians. "We all held hands and asked God to help us," said Nguyen.

Shortly after, the bus driver started the bus. "It was a miracle!" said Nguyen.

Logan said he hopes the students who went to Denver will share their religious experiences with other students and encourage them to become involved in campus activities.

Upcoming activities at the Newman Center include a Bible Convention, a Welcome Retreat and a Welcome Dance.

THINKER CAN'T FIX SOCIETY

by Jane Shasserre

How much can a person say in 30 seconds? Quite a bit if that person is Kevin Dorsey, commentator for Houston's hard-rock station KKZR-FM 106.9.

Dorsey, who airs 30-second commentaries at 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., comments on anything from politics to recycled napkins.

In 30 seconds, Dorsey tells why Al Gore is "just a goober" or to think twice about using napkins made from recycled paper.

"You don't know what (the napkin) was in its previous life," Dorsey says in one of his commentaries.

People listening to Dorsey's blunt words may either laugh out loud or wince in pain.

However, Dorsey said his opinions come from a deep concern about worldly problems.

"I can't fix (society,) but I can talk about my ideas," he said.

Dorsey's fans know him for the phrase, "I just don't know anymore." He said he was on Allen Parkway, with friends, the first time he said it.

"We were driving past Allen Parkway Village, and in disgust I said, 'when are they going to do something about that slum? I just don't know anymore.' "

Other workers at KKZR speak highly of Dorsey.

"Kevin is very intelligent and has the normal person's point of view," said Randy Schell, operations manager for KKZR. "He says what we'd all like to say.''

"The fact that he's a New Yorker stuck in Texas is just an added bonus,'' Schell said.

Dorsey moved to Houston from Queens, NY, at age 17. Now, 18 years later, he still has a thick Queens accent.

Dorsey's rapid-fire comments have provoked response from enemies as well as fans.

Dorsey said he's received death threats including graphic promises from a man in prison.

"Most people see (Dorsey's) brusk, opinionated side," said Francine Carbajal, promotions director for KKZR.

"I see the Kevin who goes to PTA meetings and worries about whether or not (his son) has lunch money."

A former delivery man, Dorsey got his first break from Houston's KLOL-FM in 1983.

As a divorced father of two, Dorsey said his only regret about the radio business is not being able to talk to his kids every day.

In addition to commentaries, Dorsey helps with KKZR's scheduling and public affairs.

Dorsey said his future plans include a move to television.

"I want to be the next Marvin Zindler," he said.

QB CLEMENTS PROVIDES COOGS PEAK AT FUTURE

The Houston Cougars are leaning toward the future.

And on Saturday afternoon, the Cougars got a small glimpse of what the future could hold.

Redshirt freshman quarterback, Chuck Clements, finally saw his first prolonged collegiate action after sitting on the bench last season.

The 1992 graduate of Huntsville High School completed 19-of-29 passes for 159 yards and one touchdown in a 38-24 loss to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

"To his credit, he (Clements) played really well," said head coach Kim Helton. "He had confidence in himself and so did we."

Clements entered the game following the departure of starter Jimmy Klingler, who suffered a sprained right ankle late in the first half.

"I was ready," Clements said. "The limited action I saw against Southern Cal helped me get over some of the nervousness I would've had (if) this been my first game."

Indeed, with some of the impressive drives that Clements helped lead, it was evident that the butterflies were everywhere but in his stomach.

With the Cougars down 38-17, Clements showed composure in the pocket by firing a 27-yard touchdown strike to receiver Keith Jack that cut the lead to 38-24 with more than eight minutes left to play.

"Chuck did a fine job, and I'm very pleased with him," Helton said.

Coming out of Huntsville, Clements was a highly touted high school quarterback who was recruited for his strong arm.

During his junior and senior seasons, he completed 369-of-658 passes for 5,438 yards and 48 touchdowns.

These numbers helped the Hornets capture the District 15-5A crown both years and elevated Huntsville to one of the top teams in the Houston area.

Nevertheless, Clements admits he still has a lot to learn before becoming a top college passer.

"I hope I can go back and look at all the mistakes I made (in Saturday's game) and not make the bad reads and throws that I did," he said.

"Chuck did make some bad plays," Helton said. "But I do feel like he will eventually turn into a good quarterback in the future."

If the Cougars can see a little more of the future in the present, it might lead them to forget about the past.

<I> JANE<P>, A FAMILY AFFAIR

Remember that song by the quartet of soulful sisters better known as Sister Sledge?

"We are family, I got all my sisters and me."

Well, in <I>What Ever Happened to Baby Jane<P>, a film that offers a classic example of Bette Davis' vitriol and nonchalance, the film's two sisters are as different as night and day and aren't about to sing about a family life.

Davis and Joan Crawford are paired in this film that follows a jealous sister and her obsession with torturing and neglecting her more sophisticated, once successful sister.

As a young girl, Jane (played by Davis) looks like Goldilocks, American style. She has the charm. Good looks. All eyes are on her.

Unfortunately, the hand of gravity drags and the hand of time draws wrinkles. So, how does Jane fight back? She doesn't purchase a bottle of Oil of Olay or scarlet lipstick or a chiffon dress. She abuses her sister. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Like Kathy Bates' character in <I>Misery<P>, Jane is the caretaker from the fiery lake.

Her increasingly frightened sister (Blanche, played by Crawford) is so put off by the idea of staying confined to one room, in a bed, that when a gentleman comes a-callin', she cranes her neck almost as if she would rather hoist herself to the window and fall out just to get away from the fork-tongued, liquor drinking hostess.

Witches wish they could be so mean and intimidating. Quite contrary, she is.

But the scene that has people asking guess <I>what's<P> coming to dinner would make even Marvin Zindler forget about slime in the ice machine. Instead, focus on the sauteed ....

Yes, something undoubtedly happened to Baby Jane. She overdosed on attitudinol and angsteine.

<I>Jane<P> is definitely the film for someone in search of tips on how to be mean to a sister.